Subject: Re: [TR] Bearing Replacement

From: Tim Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 05:58:27 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7814397720071848125==
	boundary="----=_Part_4462985_1338794509.1469339907362"

------=_Part_4462985_1338794509.1469339907362
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I replaced the piston rings and rod bearings from underneath on my TR250. I=
ts a fairly straightforward process just time consuming. But all I did was =
drop the pan I did not get into the front or rear seals for the crank, so w=
hen I buttoned it back up there were no leaks. Other than being a bit more =
fiddly doing it with the engine in the car I don't see any real issues. But=
 again I have never done it so cant speak from experience.
Tim=20

    On Sunday, July 24, 2016 12:50 AM, marty <[email-masked]> wrote:
=20

 <!--#yiv6547602818 .yiv6547602818hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px;}#yiv6=
547602818 body.yiv6547602818hmmessage{font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}-=
->Is it possible to do a bearing swap=C2=A0by just pulling the pan and not =
have leaks when you are done? I'm looking at it and thinking that once you =
pull the front sealing block to access the front main cap =C2=A0that there =
is a high likelihood of leaks in that area with the timing cover, front eng=
ine plate and sealing block. I'm not really wanting to pull the engine out =
and tear the darn thing down to swap out rod and main bearings but part of =
me says I need to.=C2=A0 Anybody been there done that as far as just going =
in from underneath?
=C2=A0
Marty
=20

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
[email-masked]

------=_Part_4462985_1338794509.1469339907362
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; f=
ont-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:16px"><div id=3D"yui_3_=
16_0_ym19_1_1469335559134_9873" dir=3D"ltr">I replaced the piston rings and=
 rod bearings from underneath on my TR250. Its a fairly straightforward pro=
cess just time consuming. But all I did was drop the pan I did not get into=
 the front or rear seals for the crank, so when I buttoned it back up there=
 were no leaks. Other than being a bit more fiddly doing it with the engine=
 in the car I don't see any real issues. But again I have never done it so =
cant speak from experience.</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div id=3D"yui_=
3_16_0_ym19_1_1469335559134_10422" dir=3D"ltr">Tim</div> <div class=3D"qtdS=
eparateBR"><br><br></div><div class=3D"yahoo_quoted" style=3D"display: bloc=
k;"> <div style=3D"font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
16px;"> <div style=3D"font-family: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica=
, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> <div dir=3D"ltr"><fo=
nt face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2"> On Sunday, July 24, 2016 12:50 AM, marty &lt;=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br></font></div>  <br><br> <div class=3D"y_m=
sg_container"><div id=3D"yiv6547602818">

<style><!--
#yiv6547602818 .yiv6547602818hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;padding:0px;}
#yiv6547602818 body.yiv6547602818hmmessage
{
font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}
--></style>
<div><div dir=3D"ltr">Is it possible to do a bearing swap&nbsp;by just pull=
ing the pan and not have leaks when you are done? I'm looking at it and thi=
nking that once you pull the front sealing block to access the front main c=
ap &nbsp;that there is a high likelihood of leaks in that area with the tim=
ing cover, front engine plate and sealing block. I'm not really wanting to =
pull the engine out and tear the darn thing down to swap out rod and main b=
earings but part of me says I need to.&nbsp; Anybody been there done that a=
s far as just going in from underneath?<br>&nbsp;<br>Marty<br> =09=09 =09  =
 =09=09  </div></div>
</div><br><br>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" ymailto=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br><br>Donate: <=
a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.tea=
m.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"http=
://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br=
>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/trium=
phs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailm=
an/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div>  </div> =
</div>  </div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_4462985_1338794509.1469339907362--

--===============7814397720071848125==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7814397720071848125==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:44:40 -0400

--===============3841438727820342886==

----_com.boxer.email_3425350712340831
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

SSd2ZSBkb25lIGl0LCBkaWRuJ3QgbGVhayBhbnkgd29yc2UgYWZ0ZXIgdGhhbiBiZWZvcmUuIFRo
ZSBnYXNrZXQgdG8gdGhlIGZyb250IHBsYXRlIHdpbGwgdGVhciwgc28gY2xlYW4gaXQgdXAgYW5k
IHVzZSBnYXNrZXQgbWFrZXIgdG8gcmVwbGFjZSB0aGUgdG9ybiBwb3J0aW9uLgoKLS0gUmFuZGFs
bAoK
----_com.boxer.email_3425350712340831
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

PHAgZGlyPSJsdHIiPkkndmUgZG9uZSBpdCwgZGlkbid0IGxlYWsgYW55IHdvcnNlIGFmdGVyIHRo
YW4gYmVmb3JlLiBUaGUgZ2Fza2V0IHRvIHRoZSBmcm9udCBwbGF0ZSB3aWxsIHRlYXIsIHNvIGNs
ZWFuIGl0IHVwIGFuZCB1c2UgZ2Fza2V0IG1ha2VyIHRvIHJlcGxhY2UgdGhlIHRvcm4gcG9ydGlv
bi48L3A+CjxwIGRpcj0ibHRyIj4tLSBSYW5kYWxsPC9wPgo=
----_com.boxer.email_3425350712340831--

--===============3841438727820342886==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3841438727820342886==--

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 17:21:38 -0400

--===============3726150193750104985==
	boundary="----=_Part_39959_158866935.1469395297943"

------=_Part_39959_158866935.1469395297943
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Marty, I did a baring swap on my TR6 from underneath and all went reasonably well.  As you surmised, the front main is problematic in that the sealing block must come out.  I carefully cut the seal and when I re-installed it I used an ample supply of Form-a-Gasket #2 to seal it to the block and the timing chain cover and I think my only oil leak issues were related to the worn spacer upon which the front seal rode.

I replaced the oil pump at the same time the oil pressure improvement was dramatic.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: marty <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm
Subject: [TR] Bearing Replacement

Is it possible to do a bearing swap by just pulling the pan and not have leaks when you are done? I'm looking at it and thinking that once you pull the front sealing block to access the front main cap  that there is a high likelihood of leaks in that area with the timing cover, front engine plate and sealing block. I'm not really wanting to pull the engine out and tear the darn thing down to swap out rod and main bearings but part of me says I need to.  Anybody been there done that as far as just going in from underneath?
 
Marty

------=_Part_39959_158866935.1469395297943
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<font size="4">Marty, I did a baring swap on my TR6 from underneath and all went reasonably well.&nbsp; As you surmised, the front main is problematic in that the sealing block must come out.&nbsp; I carefully cut the seal and when I re-installed </font><font size="4">it I used an ample supply of Form-a-Gasket #2 to seal it to the block and the timing chain cover and I think my only oil leak issues were related to the worn spacer upon which the front seal rode.<br>
<br>
I replaced the oil pump at the same time the oil pressure improvement was dramatic.<br>
</font>
<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: marty &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: Triumph List &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Sun, Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm<br>

Subject: [TR] Bearing Replacement<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_a5a807da-afda-4001-91cd-db821cea442f">
<style scoped="">#AOLMsgPart_1.2_a5a807da-afda-4001-91cd-db821cea442f td{color: black;}  .aolReplacedBody .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } .aolReplacedBody body.hmmessage { font-size: 12pt; font-family:Calibri } </style>

<div class="aolReplacedBody">

<div dir="ltr">Is it possible to do a bearing swap&nbsp;by just pulling the pan and not have leaks when you are done? I'm looking at it and thinking that once you pull the front sealing block to access the front main cap &nbsp;that there is a high likelihood of leaks in that area with the timing cover, front engine plate and sealing block. I'm not really wanting to pull the engine out and tear the darn thing down to swap out rod and main bearings but part of me says I need to.&nbsp; Anybody been there done that as far as just going in from underneath?<br>

&nbsp;<br>

Marty<br>

 		 	   		  </div>

</div>

</div>

<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank"></a><br>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_39959_158866935.1469395297943--

--===============3726150193750104985==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3726150193750104985==--