Subject: Re: [TR] 57 bullet starter question

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:54:31 -0400

> But I just tried to take apart the pinion/bendix assembly but it wont
> slide off. Removed the outside split washer. no problem. Removed the
> drive pinion by removing the large split washer. no problem. But there
> is a what seems to be a pressed on sleeve in a grove that will not allow
> the internal bendix assembly move out. How is this small pressed
> washer/sleeve removed? Does it have to be sawed and pressed on?

Are you at the step where you're supposed to remove the "locating peg" as
described in the workshop manual?  ISTR you have to push the "locating nut"
down against a spring to access the peg.  A photo might help.

But there is nothing in there that has to be pressed on or off; or replaced
every time.  Back when I ran an original Lucas starter, I had that drive
apart many times and replaced the drive sleeve more than once.  In fact, I
bought the last of the batch of "fail safe" drive sleeves that BFE had made
up.

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 06:29:09 -0700

--===============6750767731961057401==

--001a113ddc9cdb8d9f0537845e3c

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Bob Labuz <[email-masked]> wrote:

...the pinion/bendix assembly but it wont slide off. Removed the outside
> split washer. no problem. Removed the drive pinion by removing the large
> split washer. no problem. But there is a what seems to be a pressed on
> sleeve in a grove that will not allow the internal bendix assembly move
> out. How is this small pressed washer/sleeve removed?

Bob -

I know I've done this several times but it has been too long to remember -
so I went to Google for a pic of the parts.  As you note, the Moss drawing
seemed incomplete but I found this (from a familiar source):

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?6,1298700

Consider that peg [E] - I do not recall it but looks like something that,
if present, would need to come out.

Geo

--001a113ddc9cdb8d9f0537845e3c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On T=
ue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Bob Labuz <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
</span> wrote:</div><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-=
left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">=
...the pinion/bendix assembly but it wont slide off. Removed the outside sp=
lit washer. no problem. Removed the drive pinion by removing the large spli=
t washer. no problem. But there is a what seems to be a pressed on sleeve i=
n a grove that will not allow the internal bendix assembly move out. How is=
 this small pressed washer/sleeve removed?</blockquote><div><br></div><div>=
Bob -</div><div><br></div><div>I know I&#39;ve done this several times but =
it has been too long to remember - so I went to Google for a pic of the par=
ts.=C2=A0 As you note, the Moss drawing seemed incomplete but I found this =
(from a familiar source):</div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"http://www.tr=
iumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?6,1298700">http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/re=
ad.php?6,1298700</a></div><div><br></div><div>Consider that peg [E] - I do =
not recall it but looks like=C2=A0something that, if present, would need to=
 come out.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo=C2=A0</div></div></div>

--001a113ddc9cdb8d9f0537845e3c--

--===============6750767731961057401==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6750767731961057401==--