Subject: [TR] Gas tank repair

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 11:27:45 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3508917741648752379==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00C7_01D1BE54.1E6EC040"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01D1BE54.1E6EC040
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I am about to install a gas tank in a '57 small-mouth and first filled it
with gas to check for leaks.  Wouldn't you know it - a pinhole leak at the
bottom corner.

In the past I have had tanks professionally "sealed", but it was expensive
and I have heard mixed feedback.

I see Eastwood advertising gas tank repair products and Permatex has one out
there.  Does anyone have experience with any of these products or
suggestions / advice on dealing with the issue?  Thanks!

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan

------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01D1BE54.1E6EC040
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am about =
to install a gas tank in a &#8217;57 small-mouth and first filled it =
with gas to check for leaks.&nbsp; Wouldn&#8217;t you know it &#8211; a =
pinhole leak at the bottom corner.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>In the past =
I have had tanks professionally &#8220;sealed&#8221;, but it was =
expensive and I have heard mixed feedback.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I see =
Eastwood advertising gas tank repair products and Permatex has one out =
there.&nbsp; Does anyone have experience with any of these products or =
suggestions / advice on dealing with the issue?&nbsp; =
Thanks!<br><br>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Jackson, Michigan<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00C7_01D1BE54.1E6EC040--

--===============3508917741648752379==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3508917741648752379==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 15:28:36 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8436238306889049217==
 boundary="------------010405010401060700000309"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010405010401060700000309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I would not trust sealant liners.  you never know what the feds are 
going to require as additives to "gasoline" next year.

The best thing is to solder it up.  I use a large electric soldering 
iron.  Of course you will want to rinse the tank thoroughly first to 
remove all fuel/vapors.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

--------------010405010401060700000309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font face="Arial Black">I would not trust sealant liners.  you
      never know what the feds are going to require as additives to
      "gasoline" next year.<br>
      <br>
      <font face="Arial Black">The best thing is to solder it up.  I use
        a large electric soldering iron.  Of course you will want to
        rinse the tank thoroughly first to remove all fuel/vapors.<br>
        <br>
        <font face="Arial Black">Edward Hamer<br>
          <font face="Arial Black">Petaluma CA</font><br>
        </font></font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010405010401060700000309--

--===============8436238306889049217==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8436238306889049217==--

---

From: "Keith Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 09:03:29 -0400

--===============4170159423746920663==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00F8_01D1C09B.75E0B6A0"
Content-Language: en-ca

------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01D1C09B.75E0B6A0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=20

I would not trust sealant liners.  you never know what the feds are =
going to require as additives to "gasoline" next year.

The best thing is to solder it up.  I use a large electric soldering =
iron.  Of course you will want to rinse the tank thoroughly first to =
remove all fuel/vapors.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

=20

=E2=80=A6 and keep the tank filled with water while you solder to make =
sure there are no vapours inside.

=20

=20

Keith Stewart

[email-masked]

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01D1C09B.75E0B6A0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Arial Black";
	panose-1:2 11 10 4 2 1 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-CA link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Arial Black",sans-serif'>I =
would not trust sealant liners.&nbsp; you never know what the feds are =
going to require as additives to &quot;gasoline&quot; next =
year.<br><br>The best thing is to solder it up.&nbsp; I use a large =
electric soldering iron.&nbsp; Of course you will want to rinse the tank =
thoroughly first to remove all fuel/vapors.<br><br>Edward =
Hamer<br>Petaluma CA<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'>=E2=80=A6 and keep the tank filled with water while you solder to =
make sure there are no vapours inside.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'>Keith Stewart<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'>[email-masked]<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00F8_01D1C09B.75E0B6A0--

--===============4170159423746920663==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4170159423746920663==--