Subject: [TR] winter storage

From: "Rick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 12:08:21 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7339809507154105806==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000B_01D1A2D9.01631A50"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D1A2D9.01631A50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In the vintage motorcycle world the dominant opinion is towards winter
storage with full tanks, although there are a few dry-tank advocates. The
idea here is to minimize tank rusting due to exposure to air. At spring
start-up for my TR3A, I run several pints of fuel through the lines into a
clear pyrex container. The first 5-6 oz or so are cloudy, and I continue to
run fuel (it's easy with a Facet pump) until it runs clear. Before I began
adding stabilizer several years ago, I could see long "bubbles" of pure
water and rust particles in the first pint or so. Now, with stabilized fuel,
these water "bubbles" no longer appear. When the fuel runs clear, I reattach
the lines and start the car. It's a bit of a clunky start, with water vapor
showing in the exhaust for a minute or so, but after that the car is ready
for spring driving. I then filter the scavenged fuel (the filtrate is clear)
and pour it into the gas tank of my Dodge pick-up. Both vehicles seem happy
with this process. Based on my winter storage experience with three
vehicles, I recommend storage with full tanks of stabilized fuel.

 Rick in Seattle

1960 Triumph TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special

1975 Norton Commando 850 Mk3

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D1A2D9.01631A50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>In the vintage motorcycle world the dominant opinion =
is towards winter storage with full tanks, although there are a few =
dry-tank advocates. The idea here is to minimize tank rusting due to =
exposure to air. At spring start-up for my TR3A, I run several pints of =
fuel through the lines into a clear pyrex container. The first 5-6 oz or =
so are cloudy, and I continue to run fuel (it&#8217;s easy with a Facet =
pump) until it runs clear. Before I began adding stabilizer several =
years ago, I could see long &#8220;bubbles&#8221; of pure water and rust =
particles in the first pint or so. Now, with stabilized fuel, these =
water &#8220;bubbles&#8221; no longer appear. When the fuel runs clear, =
I reattach the lines and start the car. It&#8217;s a bit of a clunky =
start, with water vapor showing in the exhaust for a minute or so, but =
after that the car is ready for spring driving. I then filter the =
scavenged fuel (the filtrate is clear) and pour it into the gas tank of =
my Dodge pick-up. Both vehicles seem happy with this process. Based on =
my winter storage experience with three vehicles, I recommend storage =
with full tanks of stabilized fuel.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'>&nbsp;Rick in Seattle<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>1960 =
Triumph TR3A<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>1970 BSA =
441 Victor Special<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>1975 =
Norton Commando 850 Mk3</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D1A2D9.01631A50--

--===============7339809507154105806==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7339809507154105806==--