Subject: [TR] Triumph Thrust Bearings

From: "Bill Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:01:42 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5346378771416167861==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0043_01D19435.5AD178F0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01D19435.5AD178F0
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    I think that for TR6 thrust washers you should contact this guy. 

            http://www.customthrustwashers.com/contact.html

     -Bill in Tehachapi

Hi. 

I am about to start tearing down the engine for my GT6 Convertible project
and I am using a GT6 2.0 engine. 

I wonder if there is some wisdom here for the following questions?

1- I have been reading about the infamous crank thrust bearing in the
Triumph 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It seems to me the stuck unit is a steel
180 deg unit that has a thin copper plating that wears, then can damage the
crank by steel to steel contact or by falling off altogether.

So I have read of 3 options: Use a copper alloy replacement (no steel), use
a copper alloy, 360 degree replacement (needs some machining of the block),
pin the bearing, or use another car's main bearing that has built in thrust
surfaces (machining of block and cap needed).

Since I am hopping up the engine a bit for street use, which do you guys
recommend?

2- I plan on hopping up the engine to roughly 120-130 HP. I understand a
mild cam upgrade, some head match porting and balancing along with a
compression increase should do it. Any recommendations? I think I will keep
the stock intake and exhaust manifolds and Strombergs, maybe add a free
flowing exhaust. Is that enough? Would adding triple 150 strombergs too
much? Or a pair of 175 Strombergs? 

3- Does anyone on this list know of a good Michigan located place I can take
my block, head and crank to get cleaned up, machined as needed, etc? I plan
on doing the assembly and disassembly, but not any machining myself.

Thanks!!

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01D19435.5AD178F0
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.PlainTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I think that for TR6 =
thrust washers you should contact this guy. =
<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://www.customthrustwashers.com/contact.html">http://www.custo=
mthrustwashers.com/contact.html</a><o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -Bill in =
Tehachapi<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Hi. <o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>I am about to start tearing down the engine =
for my GT6 Convertible project and I am using a GT6 2.0 engine. =
<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>I wonder if there is =
some wisdom here for the following =
questions?<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>1- I have been reading about the infamous =
crank thrust bearing in the Triumph 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It seems =
to me the stuck unit is a steel 180 deg unit that has a thin copper =
plating that wears, then can damage the crank by steel to steel contact =
or by falling off altogether.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>So I have read =
of 3 options: Use a copper alloy replacement (no steel), use a copper =
alloy, 360 degree replacement (needs some machining of the block), pin =
the bearing, or use another car&#8217;s main bearing that has built in =
thrust surfaces (machining of block and cap =
needed).<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Since I am hopping up the engine a bit for =
street use, which do you guys recommend?<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>2- I plan on =
hopping up the engine to roughly 120-130 HP. I understand a mild cam =
upgrade, some head match porting and balancing along with a compression =
increase should do it. Any recommendations? I think I will keep the =
stock intake and exhaust manifolds and Strombergs, maybe add a free =
flowing exhaust. Is that enough? Would adding triple 150 strombergs too =
much? Or a pair of 175 Strombergs? <o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>3- Does anyone =
on this list know of a good Michigan located place I can take my block, =
head and crank to get cleaned up, machined as needed, etc? I plan on =
doing the assembly and disassembly, but not any machining =
myself.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Thanks!!<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p></div></bod=
y></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0043_01D19435.5AD178F0--

--===============5346378771416167861==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5346378771416167861==--