Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

From: Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 00:08:15 -0500

--===============3682506192460398763==

--001a11c16fb29be413052f00c8a9

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and
> rebuilt it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before.
> The MC is relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after
> market unit and my rebuild kit was for an original MC.
>
> So now I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with
> a TR6 after market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I
> think maybe there are some bad after market master cylinders out there.
>
> Does anybody have any advice on how to find a good one?
>

The last time I was in the market for a MC for the TR6, I called Ted
Schumacher (NFI). At the time, he told me that there were 3 available:

cheap Asian knockoff - not recommended - cheapest, under $100 at the time
TRW brand, produced in Asia but "to TRW standards" - mid price, about $150
or so at the time
genuine Lucas/Girling NOS - about $300 at the time

On Ted's recommendation, I bought the TRW. It is now 5+ years later, and
with silicone brake fluid since Day 1, no leaks (knock on wood dash) or any
other issues.

HTH,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL

--001a11c16fb29be413052f00c8a9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><br><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quo=
te">On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Creig Houghtaling <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]<=
/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

<div>
Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuil=
t it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before. The MC =
is relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after market u=
nit and my rebuild kit was for an
 original MC.<br>
<br>
So now I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with a=
 TR6 after market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I thin=
k maybe there are some bad after market master cylinders out there.
<br>
<br>
Does anybody have any advice on how to find a good one?<br></div></blockquo=
te></div><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra">The last time I was in the ma=
rket for a MC for the TR6, I called Ted Schumacher (NFI). At the time, he t=
old me that there were 3 available:<br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"=
>cheap Asian knockoff - not recommended - cheapest, under $100 at the time<=
br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra">TRW brand, produced in Asia but &quot;t=
o TRW standards&quot; - mid price, about $150 or so at the time<br></div><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_extra">genuine Lucas/Girling NOS - about $300 at the time=
<br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra">On Ted&#39;s recommendation, I bou=
ght the TRW. It is now 5+ years later, and with silicone brake fluid since =
Day 1, no leaks (knock on wood dash) or any other issues.<br><br></div><div=
 class=3D"gmail_extra">HTH,<br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra">Irv Kor=
ey<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra">74 TR6 CF22767U<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_extra">Highland Park, IL<br></div></div>

--001a11c16fb29be413052f00c8a9--

--===============3682506192460398763==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3682506192460398763==--

---

From: "Tim Hutchisen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 07:21:09 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5154754996683720134==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00A1_01D187F9.3CB4E6B0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01D187F9.3CB4E6B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Creig,

                Call Lazar at Apple Hydraulics. Have not had an issue with
their rebuilt units at all.

http://www.applehydraulics.com/

Tim Hutchisen

www.pennridgemotors.com <http://www.pennridgemotors.com> 

Norway, ME

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Creig
Houghtaling
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:36 PM
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt
it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before. The MC is
relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after market unit
and my rebuild kit was for an original MC.

So now I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with a
TR6 after market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I think
maybe there are some bad after market master cylinders out there. 

Creig
St Louis MO

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01D187F9.3CB4E6B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Creig,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Call Lazar at Apple Hydraulics. Have not had an issue =
with their rebuilt units at all.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
> <a =
href=3D"http://www.applehydraulics.com/">http://www.applehydraulics.com/<=
/a><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Tim Hutchisen<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><a =
href=3D"http://www.pennridgemotors.com">www.pennridgemotors.com</a><o:p><=
/o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Norway, ME<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Creig Houghtaling<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:36 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> Triumph List =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR6 brake master =
cylinder<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Just got a =
TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it =
today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before. The MC is =
relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after market =
unit and my rebuild kit was for an original MC.<br><br>So now I am in =
the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with a TR6 after =
market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I think maybe =
there are some bad after market master cylinders out there. <br><br>Does =
anybody have any advice on how to find a good one? <br><br>Creig<br>St =
Louis MO<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01D187F9.3CB4E6B0--

--===============5154754996683720134==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5154754996683720134==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 22:09:24 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2748566144189615349==
	boundary="----=_Part_10597290_2006608751.1459116564755"

------=_Part_10597290_2006608751.1459116564755
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Apple Hydraulics will sleeve and rebuild your MC for $125. They did mine a couple of years ago and there has not been a drop of loss since - even with DOT 5. Go to www.http://applehydraulics.com/brakes.htm#ukmaster 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Creig Houghtaling" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Triumph List" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:36:17 PM 
Subject: [TR] TR6 brake master cylinder 

Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before. The MC is relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after market unit and my rebuild kit was for an original MC. 

So now I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with a TR6 after market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I think maybe there are some bad after market master cylinders out there. 

Creig 
St Louis MO 

------=_Part_10597290_2006608751.1459116564755
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Apple Hydraulics will sleeve and rebui=
ld your MC for $125.&nbsp; They did mine a couple of years ago and there ha=
s not been a drop of loss since - even with DOT 5.&nbsp; Go to www.http://a=
pplehydraulics.com/brakes.htm#ukmaster<br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zw=
chr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-dec=
oration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;" data-m=
ce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-deco=
ration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><b=
>From: </b>"Creig Houghtaling" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"Tri=
umph List" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Saturday, March =
26, 2016 7:36:17 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>[TR] TR6 brake master cylinder<br><d=
iv><br></div>Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild k=
it and rebuilt it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than be=
fore. The MC is relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an a=
fter market unit and my rebuild kit was for an original MC.<br> <br> So now=
 I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with a TR6 a=
fter market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I think mayb=
e there are some bad after market master cylinders out there. <br> <br> Doe=
s anybody have any advice on how to find a good one? <br> <br> Creig<br> St=
 Louis MO<br><br><div><br></div>** [email-masked] **<br><div><br><=
/div>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.ne=
t/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<br></div><div=
><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_10597290_2006608751.1459116564755--

--===============2748566144189615349==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2748566144189615349==--