Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 04:16:10 +0000

--===============3915384706557218077==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB0148ED2B5B882953A10EAF68ECB10BLUPR19MB0148namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148ED2B5B882953A10EAF68ECB10BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Worked on the carbs today, and this is what I learned.
The poor running was primarily due to a vacuum leak. This car is a 76 and h=
as had most of the emission items removed. There was a port on the intake m=
anifold that was probably blocked, but it was open causing the poor running=
. The enrichment valves were both missing gaskets. This fixed some gas leak=
 on the side of the carbs. The lower port on the forward carb perhaps shoul=
d be blocked. I looked at a 74 TR6, and on that car this port connects to t=
o the vacuum advance on the distributor.
________________________________
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Creig Houghta=
ling <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 6, 2016 7:38:49 AM
To: Triumph List
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was=
 turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the f=
orward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet=
 was not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed in=
to the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and als=
o changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the ca=
r for a few minutes and turned it off. It was dripping gas out the same por=
t. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of =
gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that=
 means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correc=
tly. Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass=
 the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve=
  (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new fl=
oat to fully close the valve when the mold line of the float was parallel w=
ith the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.

Am I missing anything else here?

Thanks
Creig Houghtaling

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148ED2B5B882953A10EAF68ECB10BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
</head>
<body>
Worked on the carbs today, and this is what I learned.<br>
The poor running was primarily due to a vacuum leak. This car is a 76 and h=
as had most of the emission items removed. There was a port on the intake m=
anifold that was probably blocked, but it was open causing the poor running=
. The enrichment valves were both
 missing gaskets. This fixed some gas leak on the side of the carbs. The lo=
wer port on the forward carb perhaps should be blocked. I looked at a 74 TR=
6, and on that car this port connects to to the vacuum advance on the distr=
ibutor.
<br>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Triumphs &lt;triumphs=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Creig Houghtaling &lt;creig555@liv=
e.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Sunday, March 6, 2016 7:38:49 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Triumph List<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, an=
d was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below =
the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gros=
s jet was not stopping the flow
 of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replac=
ed both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. Aft=
er putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and tu=
rned it off. It was dripping gas
 out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a=
 small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As fa=
r as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust=
 the float correctly. Or there is
 something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is t=
here anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbsp; (choke) b=
e the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to full=
y close the valve when the mold line
 of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the f=
uel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148ED2B5B882953A10EAF68ECB10BLUPR19MB0148namp_--

--===============3915384706557218077==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3915384706557218077==--

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 07:52:38 -0500

--===============0698520899064617905==
	boundary="----=_Part_127986_1059048450.1457527958783"

------=_Part_127986_1059048450.1457527958783
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Is he running an electric fuel pump?  If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the h=
igher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?  the higher pressure may be overcoming t=
he float valves.
=20

=20

Dave Massey

=20

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Am I missing anything else here?=20

Thanks=20
Creig Houghtaling

[email-masked]

------=_Part_127986_1059048450.1457527958783
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'><font size="4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: Triumph List &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>

Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">

<div class="aolReplacedBody">
My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was not stopping the flow of gas
 to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off. It was dripping gas out the
 same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly. Or there is something
 at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbsp; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the mold line of the float
 was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>

<br>

<br>

Thanks <br>

Creig Houghtaling<br>

</div>

</div>

<br>

** <a removedlink__fa5fa31b-86d0-4dad-82ab-6e21195ed67c__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br>

<br>

Archive: <a removedlink__fa5fa31b-86d0-4dad-82ab-6e21195ed67c__href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>

Forums: <a removedlink__fa5fa31b-86d0-4dad-82ab-6e21195ed67c__href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_127986_1059048450.1457527958783--

--===============0698520899064617905==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0698520899064617905==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 14:31:21 +0000

--===============6817943507016999859==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB0148F30A9451E9BCB5A1C198ECB60BLUPR19MB0148namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F30A9451E9BCB5A1C198ECB60BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mechanical pump.

________________________________
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Thanks
Creig Houghtaling

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F30A9451E9BCB5A1C198ECB60BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>Mechanical pump.<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calib=
ri, sans-serif" style=3D"font-size: 11pt;"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;dave1masse=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]; [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font color=3D"black" face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D"4"=
><font size=3D"4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a =
2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher =
pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"clear: both;"><font size=3D"4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;"=
>-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Triumph List &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">
<div class=3D"aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After th=
e car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dro=
pping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake mani=
fold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into t=
he engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also ch=
anged both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car fo=
r a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air f=
ilter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front o=
f the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Per=
haps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the=
 valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbs=
p; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new f=
loat to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb w=
here the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
ons/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F30A9451E9BCB5A1C198ECB60BLUPR19MB0148namp_--

--===============6817943507016999859==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6817943507016999859==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 09:14:54 -0600

--===============6663619164669777329==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-77953618-ABD5-4CDF-B019-0FD0A4110481
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-77953618-ABD5-4CDF-B019-0FD0A4110481
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Ditto Dave.  =20
Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition.   PO had instal=
led the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it was=
 turned off.  Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fuel p=
ump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.=20

Sent from my VIC-64

On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:

Mechanical pump.

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question
=20
Is he running an electric fuel pump?  If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the hi=
gher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?  the higher pressure may be overcoming the=
 float valves.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was t=
urned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forw=
ard carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was=
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into th=
e engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also chan=
ged both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a=
 few minutes and turned it off. It was dripping gas out the same port. Looke=
d in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in th=
e lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the=
 gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly. Or the=
re is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. I=
s there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve  (choke) be t=
he culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully cl=
ose the valve when the mold line of the float was parallel with the horizont=
al edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.

Thanks=20
Creig Houghtaling

[email-masked]

ash.net

--Apple-Mail-77953618-ABD5-4CDF-B019-0FD0A4110481
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>Ditto Dave. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition. &nbsp; PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br><br>Sent from my VIC-64</div><div><br>On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>Mechanical pump.<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr tabindex="-1" style="width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font color="#000000" face="Calibri, sans-serif" style="font-size: 11pt;"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font color="black" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"><font size="4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="clear: both;"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Triumph List &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">
<div class="aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbsp; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>

</div><div><span></span><br><span>** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-77953618-ABD5-4CDF-B019-0FD0A4110481--

--===============6663619164669777329==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6663619164669777329==--

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:49:26 -0700

--===============7660199000461566491==

--Apple-Mail=_2557BE8C-C13B-418F-92F8-78F3D914694B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

I solved the too high fuel pressure on ZS carbs with a fuel pressure =
regulator. Even a cheap one will work but don=92t depend on the markings =
on the regulator. You need to hook up a vacuum gage to set it to about 1 =
1/2 to 2 psi. At least that=92s what my TR6 ZS carbs liked best.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle=20
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:14 AM, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ditto Dave.  =20
> Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition.   PO had =
installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon =
as it was turned off.  Much fiddling and head scratching before I =
replaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.=20
>=20
> Sent from my VIC-64
>=20
> On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
> Is he running an electric fuel pump?  If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or =
the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?  the higher pressure may be =
overcoming the float valves.
> My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, =
and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port =
below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded =
the Gross jet was not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was =
getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with =
standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything =
back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off. It was =
dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter =
side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of =
the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. =
Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly. Or there is something at =
the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there =
anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve  (choke) be the =
culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully =
close the valve when the mold line of the float was parallel with the =
horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_2557BE8C-C13B-418F-92F8-78F3D914694B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">I =
solved the too high fuel pressure on ZS carbs with a fuel pressure =
regulator. Even a cheap one will work but don=92t depend on the markings =
on the regulator. You need to hook up a vacuum gage to set it to about 1 =
1/2 to 2 psi. At least that=92s what my TR6 ZS carbs liked =
best.<br><div>
<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border-collapse: separate; orphans: 2; =
widows: 2; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: =
2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">Bud Rolofson</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">Extreme Parts Racing&nbsp;(more than just a haircut)</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div>71TR6 CC57365 (Good =
6)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV =
Race Car #3</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">69 Spitfire MK III =
(back up FE engine/dinghy car)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle&nbsp;</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda =
Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"><br></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline" style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
</div>
<br><div><div>On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:14 AM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"><div dir=3D"auto"><div>Ditto Dave. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div>Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR =
acquisition. &nbsp; PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the =
car instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling =
and head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet =
and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br><br>Sent from my =
VIC-64</div><div><br>On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br><br></div><div>

<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size: 12pt; =
background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Calibri, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif;"><p>Mechanical pump.<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; =
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>=

<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D"4"><font =
size=3D"4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a 2 - =
3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher =
pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"clear: both;"><font size=3D"4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica; font-size: =
10pt;">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Triumph List &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br=
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">
<div class=3D"aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After =
the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of =
gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of =
the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed =
into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves =
and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I =
ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the =
air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in =
front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't =
shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass =
the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment =
valve&nbsp; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I =
adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the =
carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1mass=
[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>

</div><div><span></span><br><span>** <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
**</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a></span><br><span>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span=
><br><span>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><=
br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">h=
ttp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><=
br></div></div><br>** <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
**<br><br>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Fo=
rums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsu=
bscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
t">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>=
<br></blockquote></div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_2557BE8C-C13B-418F-92F8-78F3D914694B--

--===============7660199000461566491==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7660199000461566491==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 03:52:58 +0000

--===============4877732615011671097==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB01486625AFC579F55B10200FECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB01486625AFC579F55B10200FECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few times =
and didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manual lev=
er to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting out the=
 choke  (enrichment) valve. I am confused about what could be going on here=
. I have other carbs I can pull the valve and trade. But that may not be th=
e whole story.

Creig
________________________________
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:30:48 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no plac=
e for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas f=
low.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dave <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Ditto Dave.
Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition.   PO had insta=
lled the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it w=
as turned off.  Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fue=
l pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.

Sent from my VIC-64

Mechanical pump.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Thanks
Creig Houghtaling

lash.net

--_000_BLUPR19MB01486625AFC579F55B10200FECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
</head>
<body>
Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few times =
and didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manual lev=
er to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting out the=
 choke&nbsp; (enrichment) valve. I am
 confused about what could be going on here. I have other carbs I can pull =
the valve and trade. But that may not be the whole story.
<br>
<br>
Creig<br>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;dave1massey@=
cs.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:30:48 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]; [email-masked]<br>
<b>Cc:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font color=3D"black" size=3D"4" face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=
><font size=3D"4">Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogge=
d there is no place for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to =
shut off the gas flow.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"clear:both"><font size=3D"4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----=
Original Message-----<br>
From: [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Creig Houghtaling &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Cc: Dave &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_2_411a0f5b-0ccc-462d-a3bc-a34d607fef7d">
<div dir=3D"auto" class=3D"aolReplacedBody">
<div>Ditto Dave. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
<div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">Just had that same problem with a recent non=
-TR acquisition. &nbsp; PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the c=
ar instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling and =
head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump
 with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br>
<br>
Sent from my VIC-64</div>
<div><br>
On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target=3D"_blank" rem=
ovedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:creig555@liv=
e.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<div>Mechanical pump.<br>
</div>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr style=3D"width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size: 11pt;" face=
=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a target=
=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58e=
d22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a>; <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d=
-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=3D"black" size=3D"4"=
>-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b=
-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
m</a>&gt;<br>
To: Triumph List &lt;<a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a=
9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
am.net</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">
<div class=3D"aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After th=
e car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dro=
pping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake mani=
fold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into t=
he engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also ch=
anged both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car fo=
r a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air f=
ilter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front o=
f the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Per=
haps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the=
 valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbs=
p; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new f=
loat to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb w=
here the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
ons/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div><span></span><br>
<span>** <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed2=
2339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a> **</span><br>
<span></span><br>
<span>Donate: <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b=
58ed22339__href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">
<span>Archive: <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8=
b58ed22339__href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">
<span>Forums: <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b=
58ed22339__href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">
http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br>
<span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-4=
32d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triump=
hs/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><=
br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BLUPR19MB01486625AFC579F55B10200FECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_--

--===============4877732615011671097==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4877732615011671097==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 07:55:55 -0500

--===============3573179894543280060==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-13CF4487-EFC5-47B4-942E-513D9B1DD137
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-13CF4487-EFC5-47B4-942E-513D9B1DD137
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Greig,

Had a friend with Strombergs on his E-Type doing the same thing.  After all t=
he frustrations of pressure and float levels, I learned of a problem with St=
rombergs, from a Harley-Davidson forum, that the float bowl gasket can be ju=
st a hair too wide or misaligned and block the float from fully rising.  Tri=
mmed the gasket, problem solved. =20

May not be your problem, but worth checking.=20

BTDT,
Bill B
TS30800L

On Mar 12, 2016, at 9:52 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:

Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few times a=
nd didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manual lever=
 to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting out the ch=
oke  (enrichment) valve. I am confused about what could be going on here. I h=
ave other carbs I can pull the valve and trade. But that may not be the whol=
e story.=20

Creig
=20
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:30:48 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question
=20
Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no place=
 for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas flo=
w.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dave <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Ditto Dave.  =20

Sent from my VIC-64

Mechanical pump.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Thanks=20
Creig Houghtaling

--Apple-Mail-13CF4487-EFC5-47B4-942E-513D9B1DD137
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>Greig,</div><div><br></div><div>Had a friend with Strombergs on his E-Type doing the same thing. &nbsp;After all the frustrations of pressure and float levels, I learned of a problem with Strombergs, from a Harley-Davidson forum, that the float bowl gasket can be just a hair too wide or misaligned and block the float from fully rising. &nbsp;Trimmed the gasket, problem solved. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>May not be your problem, but worth checking.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>BTDT,</div><div>Bill B</div><div>TS30800L</div><div><br></div><div><br>On Mar 12, 2016, at 9:52 PM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few times and didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manual lever to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting out the choke&nbsp; (enrichment) valve. I am
 confused about what could be going on here. I have other carbs I can pull the valve and trade. But that may not be the whole story.
<br>
<br>
Creig<br>
<hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
<div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font face="Calibri, sans-serif" style="font-size:11pt" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:30:48 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Cc:</b> <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font color="black" size="4" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="4">Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no place for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas flow.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
Cc: Dave &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;; triumphs &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_411a0f5b-0ccc-462d-a3bc-a34d607fef7d">
<div dir="auto" class="aolReplacedBody">
<div>Ditto Dave. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
<div>Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition. &nbsp; PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump
 with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br>
<br>
Sent from my VIC-64</div>
<div><br>
On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
</div>
<div>
<div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<div>Mechanical pump.<br>
</div>
<br>
<br>
<div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr style="width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font style="font-size: 11pt;" face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a>; <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="black" size="4"><font size="4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="clear: both;"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style="color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Triumph List &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">
<div class="aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbsp; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>
<br>
Am I missing anything else here? <br>
<br>
Thanks <br>
Creig Houghtaling<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div><span></span><br>
<span>** <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a> **</span><br>
<span></span><br>
<span>Donate: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">
<span>Archive: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/archive">
<span>Forums: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/forums">
http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br>
<span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</font></div>

</div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-13CF4487-EFC5-47B4-942E-513D9B1DD137--

--===============3573179894543280060==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3573179894543280060==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:04:00 +0000

--===============3317580308727429856==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB0148F381989AE448EC821699ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F381989AE448EC821699ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I will check that out. Thanks!
________________________________
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2016 7:55:55 AM
To: Creig Houghtaling
Cc: Dave; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question - about choke

Greig,

Had a friend with Strombergs on his E-Type doing the same thing.  After all=
 the frustrations of pressure and float levels, I learned of a problem with=
 Strombergs, from a Harley-Davidson forum, that the float bowl gasket can b=
e just a hair too wide or misaligned and block the float from fully rising.=
  Trimmed the gasket, problem solved.

May not be your problem, but worth checking.

BTDT,
Bill B
TS30800L

[email-masked]>> wrote:

Creig
[email-masked]>

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
[email-masked]>>

Ditto Dave.

Sent from my VIC-64

Mechanical pump.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Thanks
Creig Houghtaling

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F381989AE448EC821699ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body dir=3D"auto">
I will check that out. Thanks! <br>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> [email-masked] &lt;=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Sunday, March 13, 2016 7:55:55 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Creig Houghtaling<br>
<b>Cc:</b> Dave; [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question - about choke </font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>Greig,</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Had a friend with Strombergs on his E-Type doing the same thing. &nbsp=
;After all the frustrations of pressure and float levels, I learned of a pr=
oblem with Strombergs, from a Harley-Davidson forum, that the float bowl ga=
sket can be just a hair too wide or misaligned
 and block the float from fully rising. &nbsp;Trimmed the gasket, problem s=
olved. &nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>May not be your problem, but worth checking.&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>BTDT,</div>
<div>Bill B</div>
<div>TS30800L</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
On Mar 12, 2016, at 9:52 PM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:creig5=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
</div>
<div>Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few t=
imes and didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manua=
l lever to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting ou=
t the choke&nbsp; (enrichment) valve.
 I am confused about what could be going on here. I have other carbs I can =
pull the valve and trade. But that may not be the whole story.
<br>
<br>
Creig<br>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Saturday, March 12, 2016 3:30:48 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a hre=
f=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Cc:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
et</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font color=3D"black" size=3D"4" face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=
d there is no place for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to =
shut off the gas flow.</font>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"clear:both"><font size=3D"4">Dave Massey</font><br>
<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----=
Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">creig555@liv=
e.com</a>&gt;<br>
Cc: Dave &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&g=
t;; triumphs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">triumphs@autox.=
team.net</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>
<br>
<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_2_411a0f5b-0ccc-462d-a3bc-a34d607fef7d">
<div dir=3D"auto" class=3D"aolReplacedBody">
<div>Ditto Dave. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
<div>Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition. &nbsp; PO=
 had installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as so=
on as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling and head scratching before I r=
eplaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet
 and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br>
<br>
Sent from my VIC-64</div>
<div><br>
On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target=3D"_blank" rem=
ovedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:creig555@liv=
e.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<div>Mechanical pump.<br>
</div>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr style=3D"width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size: 11pt;" face=
=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a target=
=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58e=
d22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a>; <a target=3D"_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d=
-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=3D"black" size=3D"4"=

--_000_BLUPR19MB0148F381989AE448EC821699ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_--

--===============3317580308727429856==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3317580308727429856==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:29:48 +0000

Dave,
You are probably on to something here. The car is a 76. I will be at the garage working on the carbs again today. If you have a free minute to talk some time today, give me a ring. 
Creig 
________________________________
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2016 7:15:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question - about choke

What year is the car?  In the 73 and later cars the carbs have a valve that diverts the float bowl vents from a port on the face of the carb (air filter) to a port that is connected to the charcoal canister.  These can get stuck in one position or the other and the canisters often clog or fill up with gas. Or the lines get plugged.  The diverter valves will open the port on the faceof the carb when the throttle is off-idle so see if there is any difference when the throttle is cranked open.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Dave <[email-masked]>; wbeech <[email-masked]>
Cc: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question - about choke

Adjusted the floats. Pulled the chokes to get started. Cranked a few times and didn't start. Figured it needed fuel pumped. So I pulled the manual lever to fill the carbs. Stopped pumping when I saw gasoline squirting out the choke  (enrichment) valve. I am confused about what could be going on here. I have other carbs I can pull the valve and trade. But that may not be the whole story.

Creig

Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no place for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas flow.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dave <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Ditto Dave.
Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition.   PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off.  Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.

Sent from my VIC-64

Mechanical pump.

Is he running an electric fuel pump?  If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?  the higher pressure may be overcoming the float valves.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off. It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly. Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve  (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.

Thanks
Creig Houghtaling