Subject: [TR] Stag List, Stag Digest, Triumphstagdotnet

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:24:29 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5221030544304175476==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0084_01D17AC7.CD562330"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0084_01D17AC7.CD562330
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

All,

Sorry - long and detailed .

As you may or may not know, over the last year in 2015 the Krusty
MotorSports servers were having serious issues. 

Richard Welty, the Owner of Krusty and Digest.net who supported those
activities as a hobby - for free, was struggling with very aggressive
cyber-attacks to the various Digest mailing lists, which finally resulted in
a server hardware failure of biblical proportions in October 2015.

After months of bandaids and resuscitation attempts,  the servers failed,
taking down the Stag List / Digest, and TriumphStag dot Net, along with
about 2 dozen other hobby enthusiast lists and sites, including the Alpha
Romeo , BMW and others .

Richard has been working  to rebuild the servers from scratch, on his own
time and budget, however, this is like trying to rebuild a Triumph engine
using all parts from a Tesla - that is, the old parts do not exist, and the
new parts are not compatible with the old design - in this case old software
won't run on the new platforms  (seems like a good argument for virtual
servers .)

On top of that, Richard - happily, has begun Vintage Racing again, something
he has put off for far too many years - GO RICHARD!!

Whether the Stag List / Digest will ever rise from the server ashes and
virtual rust is not known,  as the user list for the Stag List and
Stag-Digest  may not be retrievable, and to validate several hundred emails
from previous subscribers is simply too time consuming.   The Digest needs
to move to a new version of majordomo list software and that will take some
administrative time.

When I was VTR web maintainer in the late 90's,  I tried to get VTR to
pickup these mail list functions - but the board never had the vision to
support or fund that level member support or technology.  

Additionally, Richard is looking into if the Stag List archives are able to
be recovered.  These of course hold a trove of information - well over 20+
years of discussions and experience.  If retrievable, these archives should
be "flat files" - that is, text, where the information "should" be
retrievable if a person would have the time and knowledge to parse the
database.

If the archives are not retrievable or able to continue to add to the
collective wisdom of the past 20+ years of experiences, a decision must be
made if it is worthwhile to restart the Stag List from this point and move
forward.

TriumphStag dot Net:

The files for TSN seem to be intact, however I have not yet received access
to retrieve the files and establish the site on a new server.  So fingers
crossed, 16+ years of vision, hard work and Forum experiences "should" be
able to be accessible again for Stag enthusiasts.

One major  problem is the issue with new hardware, new software and old
software versions used to create/maintain/update TSN over the past 16 years,
this will also take some fine tuning.  Sort of like - how many of you are
still using Windows 3.1 or Mac OS ver 2?    In that fine tuning, I hope to
add new links and database work to archive and categorize the information
from the various Stag social networks - in my spare time of course.

Much of that will need to move to a full time - paid for hosting of TSN.  If
that happens, members will be asked for an annual fee, or you don't get the
List, the Digest, or TSN.  Further, if there is not sufficient  financial
interest on a repeated annual basis, they will all simply fade into the
virtual tin worm rust dust of the internet in the TR Graveyard.

That is the update from somewhere south west of Lake Woebegone, and spring
is here in 10 days!!

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell  

aka StagByTriumph Garage (now on FaceBook)

Remember, "the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the
paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen . with the occasional smell of
manure!"

------=_NextPart_000_0084_01D17AC7.CD562330
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sorry =
&#8211; long and detailed &#8230;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>As you may =
or may not know, over the last year in 2015 the Krusty MotorSports =
servers were having serious issues. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Richard =
Welty, the Owner of Krusty and Digest.net who supported those activities =
as a hobby &#8211; for free, was struggling with very aggressive =
cyber-attacks to the various Digest mailing lists, which finally =
resulted in a server hardware failure of biblical proportions in October =
2015.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>After months of bandaids and resuscitation attempts, =
&nbsp;the servers failed, taking down the Stag List / Digest, and =
TriumphStag dot Net, along with about 2 dozen other hobby enthusiast =
lists and sites, including the Alpha Romeo , BMW and others =
.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Richard has been working &nbsp;to rebuild the servers =
from scratch, on his own time and budget, however, this is like trying =
to rebuild a Triumph engine using all parts from a Tesla &#8211; that =
is, the old parts do not exist, and the new parts are not compatible =
with the old design &#8211; in this case old software won&#8217;t run on =
the new platforms&nbsp; (seems like a good argument for virtual servers =
&#8230;)<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On top of that, Richard &#8211; happily, has begun =
Vintage Racing again, something he has put off for far too many years =
&#8211; GO RICHARD!!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Whether the =
Stag List / Digest will ever rise from the server ashes and virtual rust =
is not known, &nbsp;as the user list for the Stag List and Stag-Digest =
&nbsp;may not be retrievable, and to validate several hundred emails =
from previous subscribers is simply too time consuming. &nbsp;&nbsp;The =
Digest needs to move to a new version of majordomo list software and =
that will take some administrative time.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>When I was VTR web maintainer in the late 90&#8217;s, =
&nbsp;I tried to get VTR to pickup these mail list functions &#8211; but =
the board never had the vision to support or fund that level member =
support or technology.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Additionally, Richard is looking into if the Stag List =
archives are able to be recovered.&nbsp; These of course hold a trove of =
information &#8211; well over 20+ years of discussions and =
experience.&nbsp; If retrievable, these archives should be &#8220;flat =
files&#8221; &#8211; that is, text, where the information =
&#8220;should&#8221; be retrievable if a person would have the time and =
knowledge to parse the database.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>If the =
archives are not retrievable or able to continue to add to the =
collective wisdom of the past 20+ years of experiences, a decision must =
be made if it is worthwhile to restart the Stag List from this point and =
move forward.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TriumphStag dot Net:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The files for TSN seem to be intact, however I have =
not yet received access to retrieve the files and establish the site on =
a new server.&nbsp; So fingers crossed, 16+ years of vision, hard work =
and Forum experiences &#8220;should&#8221; be able to be accessible =
again for Stag enthusiasts.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> One =
major &nbsp;problem is the issue with new hardware, new software and old =
software versions used to create/maintain/update TSN over the past 16 =
years, this will also take some fine tuning.&nbsp; Sort of like &#8211; =
how many of you are still using Windows 3.1 or Mac OS ver 2?&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;In that fine tuning, I hope to add new links and database =
work to archive and categorize the information from the various Stag =
social networks &#8211; in my spare time of course.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Much of that will need to move to a full time &#8211; =
paid for hosting of TSN.&nbsp; If that happens, members will be asked =
for an annual fee, or you don&#8217;t get the List, the Digest, or =
TSN.&nbsp; Further, if there is not sufficient &nbsp;financial interest =
on a repeated annual basis, they will all simply fade into the virtual =
tin worm rust dust of the internet in the TR Graveyard.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>That is the =
update from somewhere south west of Lake Woebegone, and spring is here =
in 10 days!!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Cheers!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Glenn Merrell&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>aka StagByTriumph Garage =
(<i>now on FaceBook</i>)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Remember, &#8220;the BEST trophies are: Miles on =
the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen =
&#8230; with the occasional smell of =
manure!&#8221;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> =
<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0084_01D17AC7.CD562330--

--===============5221030544304175476==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5221030544304175476==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:09:44 -0800

Normally, I try not to mention other venues, but it seems appropriate in this case.  Took me a long time to come around, but there
are some definite advantages to the web forum format vs email; and most forums allow you to personally select whether you want to
get email notification of new posts, etc.

So, Triumph Experience has a forum for Stag, 2500 & 2000 that currently sees little traffic
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/list.php?24

Might be worth moving over there at least until/unless Glenn can resurrect the old mail list.

-- Randall