Subject: Re: [TR] 20-50 oil

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:46:04 -0700

Walmart carries it.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ron
L'Herault
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 1:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] 20-50 oil

I've been using Castrol 20-50 in my 1973 TR-6 for quite a while but it is
becoming hard to find.  What are the lists feelings about Quaker State
550038310 Advanced Durability 20W-50 Motor Oil.  In the past I've added a
ZDDP material too, which I imagine I would have to do with the Quaker State.

Ron L

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 21:42:09 -0500

I have been using Valvoline VR-1 20-50 for years in my TR3, it has the needed levels of ZDDP.  
Bill

Sent from my VIC-64

On Mar 14, 2016, at 3:38 PM, Ron L'Herault <[email-masked]> wrote:

I've been using Castrol 20-50 in my 1973 TR-6 for quite a while but it is
becoming hard to find.  What are the lists feelings about 
Quaker State 550038310 Advanced Durability 20W-50 Motor Oil.  In the past
I've added a ZDDP material too, which I imagine I would have to do with the
Quaker State.

Ron L

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:19:48 -0400

Ron,

I have been using Brad Penn 20/50 racing oil for about the last 7 years 
or so in all my Triumphs. It has the zddp without an additive. Kind of 
pricey but I think it is worth it. They also make a 30w oil for 
break-ins if required.

I get it by the case and save a few bucks.

I believe the company bought a Kendall refinery in PA.  to produce their 
oils.

Bob

---

From: Craig Nicholls <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:36:16 -0400

Just switch to Brad penn.  All the ZDDP u need.

Craig
72 TR6

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 14, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Ron L'Herault <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:42:53 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding issues of sludge, how much of it has to do with using a top quality, micro-porosity oil filter like say WIX or maybe NAPA?

I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in my Tacoma with a WIX filter, changing both twice a year, and am at 264,000 miles with no oil burn or loss of oil (okay, half a quart) between changes.  Also in the TR3, which leaks oil with the synthetic, but last rebuild at 75,000 miles showed zero sludge.

Just a question.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire