Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

From: Pete Arakelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 19:34:47 +0000

--===============1821764898756337713==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_B00C7413D70C3E45818B554831DAF8ED2335C436DREXMLB05datace_"

--_000_B00C7413D70C3E45818B554831DAF8ED2335C436DREXMLB05datace_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

< I adjusted the new float to fully cl  ose the  valve when the mold line o=
f the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fue=
l reservoir attaches.

What?  The correct float adjustment is 16-17mm between the gasket face on t=
he carb body to the highest point of each float with the carb inverted.
 Peter

--_000_B00C7413D70C3E45818B554831DAF8ED2335C436DREXMLB05datace_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Exchange Server">
<!-- converted from rtf -->
<style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; padding-left: 4pt; border-left:=
 #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
<body>
<font face=3D"Candara" size=3D"3"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt;">
<div><font color=3D"blue">&lt;<font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2" color=3D"bl=
ack"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;"> I adjusted the new float to fully cl&=
nbsp; ose the&nbsp; valve when the mold line of the float was parallel with=
 the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir
attaches.</span></font></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">&nbs=
p;</span></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">What=
?&nbsp; The correct float adjustment is 16-17mm between the gasket face on =
the carb body to the highest point of each float with the carb inverted.</s=
pan></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;"> Pet=
er</span></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">&nbs=
p;</span></font></div>
</span></font>
</body>
</html>

--_000_B00C7413D70C3E45818B554831DAF8ED2335C436DREXMLB05datace_--

--===============1821764898756337713==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1821764898756337713==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:15:40 -0800

> Mechanical pump.

Was it replaced recently?  Replacement pumps sometimes have the wrong spring installed and produce too much pressure.

-- Randall

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 16:30:48 -0500

--===============2030890023916671274==
	boundary="----=_Part_34865_1692777231.1457818248072"

------=_Part_34865_1692777231.1457818248072
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no plac=
e for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas f=
low.
=20

Dave Massey

=20

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dave <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

Ditto Dave.  =20
Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition.   PO had insta=
lled the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it w=
as turned off.  Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fue=
l pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.=20

Sent from my VIC-64

On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:

Mechanical pump.

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question
=20

Is he running an electric fuel pump?  If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the h=
igher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?  the higher pressure may be overcoming t=
he float valves.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was=
 turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the f=
orward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet=
 was not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed in=
to the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and als=
o changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the ca=
r for a few minutes and turned it off. It was dripping gas out the same por=
t. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of =
gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that=
 means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correc=
tly. Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass=
 the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve=
  (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new fl=
oat to fully close the valve when the mold line of the float was parallel w=
ith the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.

Am I missing anything else here?=20

Thanks=20
Creig Houghtaling

[email-masked]

lash.net

------=_Part_34865_1692777231.1457818248072
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'><font size="4">Another possibility is if the float bowl vents are clogged there is no place for the air to go and the floats will never rise up to shut off the gas flow.</font>
<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: Creig Houghtaling &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Cc: Dave &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am<br>

Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_411a0f5b-0ccc-462d-a3bc-a34d607fef7d">

<div dir="auto" class="aolReplacedBody">

<div>Ditto Dave. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

<div id="AppleMailSignature">Just had that same problem with a recent non-TR acquisition. &nbsp; PO had installed the higher pressure pump and the car instantly flooded as soon as it was turned off. &nbsp;Much fiddling and head scratching before I replaced the fuel pump with a 2-3psi Facet and problem was solved.&nbsp;<br>

<br>

Sent from my VIC-64</div>

<div><br>

On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

<br>

</div>

<div>

<div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">

<div>Mechanical pump.<br>

</div>

<br>

<br>

<div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr style="width: 98%; display: inline-block;">

<div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font style="font-size: 11pt;" face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Dave &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>

<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:52 AM<br>

<b>To:</b> <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>; <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>

<b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

</div>

<div><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="black" size="4"><font size="4">Is he running an electric fuel pump?&nbsp; If so is it a 2 - 3 PSI unit or the higher, more common 5 - 7 PSI pump?&nbsp; the higher pressure may be overcoming the float valves.</font>

<div><br>

</div>

<div><br>

</div>

<div style="clear: both;"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div><br>

</div>

<div><br>

</div>

<div style="color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>

To: Triumph List &lt;<a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>

Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2016 5:24 pm<br>

Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_c425e000-65cf-4115-8c1a-67dac2ee440e">

<div class="aolReplacedBody">My friend's TR6 was running poorly. After the car had been running, and was turned off, I noticed drips of gasoline dropping from the port below the forward carb just in front of the intake manifold. I concluded the Gross jet was
 not stopping the flow of gas to the carb and gas was getting pushed into the engine. So I replaced both float valves with standard valves and also changed both floats. After putting everything back together, I ran the car for a few minutes and turned it off.
 It was dripping gas out the same port. Looked in the throat from the air filter side and saw a small puddle of gas in the lower area right in front of the venturi. As far as I know, that means the gas isn't shutting off. Perhaps I didn't adjust the float correctly.
 Or there is something at the fuel inlet orifice allowing gas to bypass the valve. Is there anything I am missing here? Could the enrichment valve&nbsp; (choke) be the culprit? I haven't touched that yet. I adjusted the new float to fully close the valve when the
 mold line of the float was parallel with the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir attaches.<br>

<br>

Am I missing anything else here? <br>

<br>

Thanks <br>

Creig Houghtaling<br>

</div>

</div>

<br>

** <a>[email-masked]</a> **<br>

<br>

Archive: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>

Forums: <a target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>

</div>

</font></div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

<div><span></span><br>

<span>** <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **</span><br>

<span></span><br>

<span>Donate: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br>

<span>Archive: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br>

<span>Forums: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br>

<span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a target="_blank" removedlink__aef20a8f-2d9b-432d-a9ae-c8b58ed22339__href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_34865_1692777231.1457818248072--

--===============2030890023916671274==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2030890023916671274==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 03:18:49 +0000

--===============2452668691213868426==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB014877AC68C950040A2A2AB9ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB014877AC68C950040A2A2AB9ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Good point.  I pulled the carbs for about the 4th time today to check the f=
loat levels.  On previous rebuilds, I found that making the mold lines para=
llel to the bottom edge would make the lowest point between 16 & 17 mm. Wha=
t I learned today is that everything on the lower level of the floats can b=
e adjusted to be between 16 & 17 mm. When all of the bottom surface is betw=
een 15 & 16, the mold line isn't parallel any more. Thanks Peter!
________________________________
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Pete Arakelia=
n <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:34:47 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [TR] TR6 Stromberg question

--_000_BLUPR19MB014877AC68C950040A2A2AB9ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Exchange Server">
<!-- converted from rtf --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; padd=
ing-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
<body>
Good point.&nbsp; I pulled the carbs for about the 4th time today to check =
the float levels.&nbsp; On previous rebuilds, I found that making the mold =
lines parallel to the bottom edge would make the lowest point between 16 &a=
mp; 17 mm. What I learned today is that everything
 on the lower level of the floats can be adjusted to be between 16 &amp; 17=
 mm. When all of the bottom surface is between 15 &amp; 16, the mold line i=
sn't parallel any more. Thanks Peter!
<br>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Triumphs &lt;triumphs=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Pete Arakelian &lt;arakelianp@moss=
motors.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:34:47 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]'<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR6 Stromberg question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><font face=3D"Candara" size=3D"3"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt;">
<div><font color=3D"blue">&lt;<font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2" color=3D"bl=
ack"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;"> I adjusted the new float to fully cl&=
nbsp; ose the&nbsp; valve when the mold line of the float was parallel with=
 the horizontal edge of the carb where the fuel reservoir
 attaches.</span></font></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">&nbs=
p;</span></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">What=
?&nbsp; The correct float adjustment is 16-17mm between the gasket face on =
the carb body to the highest point of each float with the carb inverted.</s=
pan></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">Pete=
r</span></font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Calibri" size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;">&nbs=
p;</span></font></div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BLUPR19MB014877AC68C950040A2A2AB9ECB70BLUPR19MB0148namp_--

--===============2452668691213868426==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2452668691213868426==--