Subject: [TR] Ring gaps

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:02:29 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6107981495415518687==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00A5_01D165AE.C8E327E0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01D165AE.C8E327E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The manual for the TR3 says the ring gap should be 0.003 - 0.010.  But I
have new pistons and rings marked that the gap should be 0.003 - 0.004 per
inch diameter of the bore.  3 thou sounds awfully tight to me, but what do
others think?

On a related subject, a friend has an engine where the ring gap is 0.040.
How much of this could be made up by simply replacing the rings?  Or is
there a point at which the only solution is bigger pistons +/- rebore?

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01D165AE.C8E327E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>The manual =
for the TR3 says the ring gap should be 0.003 &#8211; 0.010.&nbsp; But I =
have new pistons and rings marked that the gap should be 0.003 &#8211; =
0.004 per inch diameter of the bore.&nbsp; 3 thou sounds awfully tight =
to me, but what do others think?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>On a related =
subject, a friend has an engine where the ring gap is 0.040.&nbsp; How =
much of this could be made up by simply replacing the rings?&nbsp; Or is =
there a point at which the only solution is bigger pistons +/- =
rebore?<br><br>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01D165AE.C8E327E0--

--===============6107981495415518687==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6107981495415518687==--