Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A engine and clutch

From: Dean Tetterton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:12:09 -0500

--===============5632024753440782772==

--Apple-Mail-3-874959785
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

Don't forget that the front engine plate is different. Motor mount =
location
changed because of the change in frame width.

Dean

On Feb 19, 2016, at 6:01 PM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:

> So the engine I am building for the next TR3 is a TR4A engine.  Easy =
enough to remove the plug and use the TR3 engine breather, but of course =
the flywheel is different and I need to get a new TR4A clutch.
> =20
> Questions:  is there a throw-out bearing sleeve specific to the TR4A?  =
Will a late TR3 starter work with the TR4A flywheel?   Is there anything =
else I need to be aware of as I move along?
>=20
> By the way, just as an aside, why do flywheels have an arrow on the =
side, pointing towards the teeth?
> =20
> Andrew Uprichard
>=20
> ** [email-masked] **
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-3-874959785
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><base href=3D"x-msg://173/"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; ">Don't forget that the front engine plate is =
different. Motor mount location<div>changed because of the change in =
frame =
width.</div><div><br></div><div>Dean</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><di=
v>On Feb 19, 2016, at 6:01 PM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
font-family: 'Arial Black'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple"><div class=3D"WordSection1" =
style=3D"page: WordSection1; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0in; =
margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; ">So the engine I am building =
for the next TR3 is a TR4A engine.&nbsp; Easy enough to remove the plug =
and use the TR3 engine breather, but of course the flywheel is different =
and I need to get a new TR4A clutch.<o:p></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif; "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0in; =
margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; ">Questions:&nbsp; is there a =
throw-out bearing sleeve specific to the TR4A? &nbsp;Will a late TR3 =
starter work with the TR4A flywheel?&nbsp; &nbsp;Is there anything else =
I need to be aware of as I move along?<br><br>By the way, just as an =
aside, why do flywheels have an arrow on the side, pointing towards the =
teeth?<o:p></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0in; margin-right: 0in; =
margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif; "><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; ">Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></div></div><br>**<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; ">[email-masked]</a><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>**<br><br>Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" style=3D"color: blue; =
text-decoration: underline; =
">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"=
 style=3D"color: blue; text-decoration: underline; =
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br=
></div></span></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-3-874959785--

--===============5632024753440782772==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5632024753440782772==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:24:42 +0000 (UTC)

As you possibly recall, I'd replaced the flywheel and clutch, buttoned everything up, and the previously working starter now failed to engage the teeth on the flywheel.  I could hear it push out, even hear the starter whirring.  I did try turning the engine a couple of times in the vague hope to get the teeth in better alignment.  

Battery worked.  Lights worked fine.  Etc. ad nauseum.

Getting ready to pull the starter, I unbolted the positive cable from the battery and noticed the post was clean, not corroded, but blackened.  Same with the cable terminal. Wire brushed the contact points, reconnected, and the starter worked just fine.  

The battery terminals were enough of a problem to be a problem but not to look like a problem.  

Didn't have to pull the starter.  Started getting things ready to sandblast my wire wheels, which I've top coated several times over the past dozen years, but are starting to look tired.  Never sand blasted before.

But sand blasting doesn't look like a problem....

Terry