Subject: [TR] TR3 Temperature

From: "CFMTR3A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:06:18 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8904231314049643275==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_010F_01D15372.96DAE4C0"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_010F_01D15372.96DAE4C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

What is the optimal temperature for a TR3?  Gauge has center point at 185
degrees.  

Thanks

Carl 

1960 Triumph TR3

TS81802LO

Tampa, FL

------=_NextPart_000_010F_01D15372.96DAE4C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>What is the optimal temperature for a TR3?&nbsp; Gauge has center point =
at 185 degrees.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Carl <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>1960 Triumph TR3<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>TS81802LO<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>Tampa, FL<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_010F_01D15372.96DAE4C0--

--===============8904231314049643275==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8904231314049643275==--

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:19:25 -0000

With the original spec factory thermostat, clean radiator and a good water
pump, 185 is exactly the temperature they ran at normally. I say *normally*
meaning that was the reading we expected to see - and saw, in England:) It's
of course prudent to remember that in the days of the TR3 and others of its
ilk, British manufacturers tended to assume that happened in the rest of the
world was likely to be the same as in the home market and the US was never
regarded as a tropical specification concerning coolant in my day:) That
said, I know many dealers tended to supply the tropical spec fan for the
Middle East and Africa markets. Fortunately for you, you didn't get the
tropical suspension set up either which would have kept many dentists busy
replacing displaced fillings.

Jonmac 

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:40:41 -0800

> What is the optimal temperature for a TR3?  Gauge has center 
> point at 185 degrees.  

That's where I run mine.  Practical Hints notes that "Under normal running, the temperature should not exceed 185F."

But I've sometimes wondered if that wasn't an example of British humor <g>

Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:33:02 -0800

> Oh dear.  That raises another question.  On days when it's in 
> the outside temperature is in the thirties driving to work, 
> is it normal for the operating engine temperature to run as 
> much as 20 degrees cooler?  It does run at 185 on "normal" days.

With the stock aneroid type thermostat, yes.  According to the workshop manual, it starts to open below 160F and is not fully open
until almost 200F.  I believe there is even a "winter" thermostat listed to help keep the engine closer to 185F in the winter.  (Or
what we used to do was stuff a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator.)

But the swing with a modern wax pellet type thermostat should be much smaller.  As a side note, I believe even Triumph switched to a
wax pellet type eventually.

As far as sharing vendor experiences, I don't have a problem with "This is what happened to me" either good or bad.  But, IMO, "XXX
are a bunch of crooks" is inappropriate.

-- Randall

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 2:28:10 +0000

---- Randall <[email-masked]> wrote: 

"Or what we used to do was stuff a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator."

That brings back memories, pizza box was the raw material of choice around here, 
Could be fit with a minimum of trimmage, and you got a free pizza when you bought the box.

Greg Lemon

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 00:44:11 -0500

--===============7032755141952098610==

--part1_3560b5.65a05471.43d1ca2b_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

What  is the optimal temperature for a TR3?  Gauge has center point at 185  
degrees.   
Thanks 
In  thirteen years of driving my TR2 I have noticed that it depends on the  
ambient temperature.  If in the sixties the gauge needle  reads well below 
the "1" as in "185".  If in the seventies gauge  needle covers the 1,  if in 
the eighties gauge needle covers the 8, if in  the nineties gauge needle 
covers the 5.  These readings are Interstate or  cruising for a hour or more.  
In crawling, heavy traffic the gauge might  leave the 5 but not by much.

Must add that the radiator is flushed and fluid is changed every  spring.  
Also note that below the sixties, the 2 and I refuse to venture  from the 
garage!
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn,  Indiana

--part1_3560b5.65a05471.43d1ca2b_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns:o =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.18161"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman; COLOR: #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D4 face=3D"Times New Roman">
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f4=
97d'>What=20
  is the optimal temperature for a TR3?&nbsp; Gauge has center point at 18=
5=20
  degrees.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f4=
97d'>Thanks<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f4=
97d'><o:p>In=20
  thirteen years of driving&nbsp;my TR2 I have noticed that it depends on=
 the=20
  ambient temperature.&nbsp; If in the sixties&nbsp;the gauge needle=20
  reads&nbsp;well below the "1" as in "185".&nbsp; If in the seventies gau=
ge=20
  needle covers the 1,&nbsp; if in the eighties gauge needle covers the 8,=
 if in=20
  the nineties gauge needle covers the 5.&nbsp; These readings are Interst=
ate or=20
  cruising for a hour or more.&nbsp; In crawling, heavy traffic the gauge=
 might=20
  leave the 5 but not by much.</o:p></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f497=
d'><o:p>
<DIV>Must add that the radiator is flushed and fluid&nbsp;is changed every=
=20
spring.&nbsp; Also note that below the sixties, the 2 and I refuse to vent=
ure=20
from the garage!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4 face=3D"Times New Roman">Lou Metelko</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4 face=3D"Times New Roman">Auburn,=20
Indiana</FONT></DIV></o:p></SPAN>
<P></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f4=
97d'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: #1f4=
97d'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P><BR><BR><BR><BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></FON=
T></BODY></HTML>
--part1_3560b5.65a05471.43d1ca2b_boundary--

--===============7032755141952098610==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7032755141952098610==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 05:47:57 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000403000206020508000100
 boundary="------------010707050906070606050005"

--------------010707050906070606050005
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 1/20/16 10:44 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Must add that the radiator is flushed and fluid is changed every 
> spring.  Also note that below the sixties, the 2 and I refuse to 
> venture from the garage!
That's interesting.  There is a fellow here in Flagstaff who has the 
same affliction. Weather starts to cool down and his TR3, TR6 & MGTD get 
mothballed for the winter.

My TR3 is willing to come out and prowl the roads anytime the road is 
dry.  I own a good jacket, gloves and cap.  On the other hand it is 
hydrophobic and doesn't want to come out when there is rain, snow or ice 
on the streets.  Probably a reaction to not having a garage during the 
first decade I owned it.  It was rebuilt on the dirt under a tarp 
shelter and lived under that shelter for a decade before getting the 
comfort of a garage.

TeriAnn

--------------010707050906070606050005
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/20/16 10:44 PM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 11.00.9600.18161">
      Must add that the radiator is flushed and fluid is changed every
      spring.  Also note that below the sixties, the 2 and I refuse to
      venture from the garage!<font id="role_document" face="Times New
        Roman" color="#000000" size="4">
        <div> </div>
      </font></blockquote>
    That's interesting.  There is a fellow here in Flagstaff who has the
    same affliction. Weather starts to cool down and his TR3, TR6 &amp;
    MGTD get mothballed for the winter.<br>
    <br>
    My TR3 is willing to come out and prowl the roads anytime the road
    is dry.  I own a good jacket, gloves and cap.  On the other hand it
    is hydrophobic and doesn't want to come out when there is rain, snow
    or ice on the streets.  Probably a reaction to not having a garage
    during the first decade I owned it.  It was rebuilt on the dirt
    under a tarp shelter and lived under that shelter for a decade
    before getting the comfort of a garage.<br>
    <br>
    TeriAnn<br>
    <br>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010707050906070606050005--

--------------000403000206020508000100
 name="MYTR_assy1.jpeg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="MYTR_assy1.jpeg"

--------------000403000206020508000100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--------------000403000206020508000100--