Subject: Re: [TR] gearbox oil

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 15:52:39 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7198144886396626161==
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_7hD6WjSd5xUS/w6hu99k1w)"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_7hD6WjSd5xUS/w6hu99k1w)
Content-transfer-encoding: 8BIT

It's the detergents that foam!
Hence Castrol HD30wt is a non-detergent oil.

You avoid over filling the crankcase as you do not want the crank 
splashing into the oil at high speed.
Just like water skiing. falling at 40-50mph on the water is like falling 
on concrete. At high speeds, the bottom of the crank slapping the top of 
a pool of oil not only throws oil all over the place, but the impact can 
indeed break a crank!

ptegler

On 12/3/2015 2:48 PM, Pete Arakelian wrote:
> Now, please, correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the reason for using 
> a gear oil that it resists or doesn’t foam?  I am not talking 
> viscosity, but foaming when the oil is stirred up by moving components 
> – gears spinning in it.  That’s one of the main reasons for not 
> overfilling your engine oil, it will foam, lose pressure and not 
> lubricate properly.  Or don’t we care about foaming in a gearbox?
> Peter
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler [email-masked] www.teglerizer.com

--Boundary_(ID_7hD6WjSd5xUS/w6hu99k1w)
Content-transfer-encoding: 8BIT

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    It's the detergents that foam!<br>
    Hence Castrol HD30wt is a non-detergent oil.<br>
    <br>
    You avoid over filling the crankcase as you do not want the crank
    splashing into the oil at high speed.<br>
    Just like water skiing. falling at 40-50mph on the water is like
    falling on concrete. At high speeds, the bottom of the crank
    slapping the top of a pool of oil not only throws oil all over the
    place, but the impact can indeed break a crank!<br>
    <br>
    ptegler<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/3/2015 2:48 PM, Pete Arakelian
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Exchange Server">
      <!-- converted from rtf -->
      <style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; padding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
      <font size="3" face="Candara"><span style="font-size:12pt;">
          <div><font color="blue">Now, please, correct me if I am wrong,
              but isn’t the reason for using a gear oil that it resists
              or doesn’t foam?  I am not talking viscosity, but foaming
              when the oil is stirred up by moving components – gears
              spinning in it.  That’s
              one of the main reasons for not overfilling your engine
              oil, it will foam, lose pressure and not lubricate
              properly.  Or don’t we care about foaming in a gearbox?</font></div>
          <div><font color="blue" size="2" face="Calibri"><span
                style="font-size:11pt;"> </span></font></div>
          <div><font color="blue">Peter</font></div>
          <div><font size="2" face="Calibri"><span
                style="font-size:11pt;"> </span></font></div>
        </span></font>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Paul Tegler
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--Boundary_(ID_7hD6WjSd5xUS/w6hu99k1w)--

--===============7198144886396626161==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7198144886396626161==--

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 17:36:38 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5723086275919536993==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003D_01D12DF1.2DE389F0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D12DF1.2DE389F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Keeping the water skiing analogy going, I was once a (somewhat competitive)
barefoot water skier.  One time I fell doing a stupid trick and ruptured an
ear drum.  Not fun.  I know how the crank must feel........

Andrew Uprichard

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ptegler
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 3:53 PM
To: Pete Arakelian; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [TR] gearbox oil

You avoid over filling the crankcase as you do not want the crank splashing
into the oil at high speed.
Just like water skiing. falling at 40-50mph on the water is like falling on
concrete. At high speeds, the bottom of the crank slapping the top of a pool
of oil not only throws oil all over the place, but the impact can indeed
break a crank!

ptegler

Now, please, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the reason for using a gear
oil that it resists or doesn't foam?  I am not talking viscosity, but
foaming when the oil is stirred up by moving components - gears spinning in
it.  That's one of the main reasons for not overfilling your engine oil, it
will foam, lose pressure and not lubricate properly.  Or don't we care about
foaming in a gearbox?

Peter

 
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D12DF1.2DE389F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Candara;
	panose-1:2 14 5 2 3 3 3 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
p.emailquote, li.emailquote, div.emailquote
	{mso-style-name:emailquote;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:1.0pt;
	border:none;
	padding:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Consolas","serif";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Keeping the water skiing analogy going, I was once a (somewhat =
competitive) barefoot water skier.&nbsp; One time I fell doing a stupid =
trick and ruptured an ear drum.&nbsp; Not fun.&nbsp; I know how the =
crank must =
feel&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;<o:p></o:p></=
span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:windowt=
ext'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:windowt=
ext'> Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>ptegler<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, December 03, 2015 3:53 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> Pete Arakelian; =
[email-masked]'<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] gearbox =
oil<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>It's the detergents that foam!<br>Hence =
Castrol HD30wt is a non-detergent oil.<br><br>You avoid over filling the =
crankcase as you do not want the crank splashing into the oil at high =
speed.<br>Just like water skiing. falling at 40-50mph on the water is =
like falling on concrete. At high speeds, the bottom of the crank =
slapping the top of a pool of oil not only throws oil all over the =
place, but the impact can indeed break a =
crank!<br><br>ptegler<br><br><o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On =
12/3/2015 2:48 PM, Pete Arakelian wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif";color:blue'>Now, please, =
correct me if I am wrong, but isn&#8217;t the reason for using a gear =
oil that it resists or doesn&#8217;t foam?&nbsp; I am not talking =
viscosity, but foaming when the oil is stirred up by moving components =
&#8211; gears spinning in it.&nbsp; That&#8217;s one of the main reasons =
for not overfilling your engine oil, it will foam, lose pressure and not =
lubricate properly.&nbsp; Or don&#8217;t we care about foaming in a =
gearbox?</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:blue'>=
&nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif";color:blue'>Peter</span><span=
 =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>&nbsp;</spa=
n><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Candara","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre>=
<pre>** <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
**<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><o:p>=
</o:p></pre><pre>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><o:p></=
o:p></pre><pre>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
t">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>=
<o:p></o:p></pre></blockquote><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>-- =
<br>Paul Tegler <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a> =
<o:p></o:p></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D12DF1.2DE389F0--

--===============5723086275919536993==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5723086275919536993==--