Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:45:59 -0800

I haven't had any luck with permatex's RTV specifically designed for gear
oil either.

I rebuilt 3 transmissions at the same time ignorant to the fact that the
standard stuff doesn't work with gear oil (not the product's fault, wrong
application and therefore my stupidity).

I rebuilt them again using the stuff specifically formulated for gear oil,
and within 6 months, they all failed.  All mating surfaces were surgically
clean, so I can't blame the wrong application or sloppy workmanship in the
2nd case.

The only reason I bring it up is that I'm reasonably certain that there are
some folks out there who have 1) either made the same mistake or 2) will
make the same mistake in the future.  

I have also had opportunity to re-do a lot of "professional" work where
supposedly competent mechanics are ignorant to the aforementioned
applications / problems and like to use RTV as an all purpose "goop" on
everything from fuel systems and drive lines to weather stripping.

I concur with your Hylomar recommendation.  I now use hylomar and / or an
RTV product called "moto seal", which are working to great effect.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 7:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

> If they used RTV as a sealant, the gear oil has caused it to fail and 
> it will leak like a sieve.

Not all RTV is the same, some formulations are specifically designed to deal
with gear oil.
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-maker
s/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker-detail

(Besides which, I was using VR1 at the time.)

However, I was not recommending buttering the outside with RTV as a
permanent repair method, merely reporting what I did as a temporary fix.  I
still dislike RTV for most applications, the new OD went together with
Hylomar.

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 13:08:13 -0700

Gear oil, in my experience (and Triumphs), is not acceptable for 
transmission use.
Just saying..
DaveP

On 12/1/2015 11:45 AM, Jonas Payne wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:26:23 -0700

..before I get blasted.. a little history.. back in the seventies 
Triumphs were experiencing many gear box failures. They sent  a factory 
rep to our shop (for one).. turns out the change to 80-90 gear lube was 
the culprit... Use 30wt non detergent, aftermarket transmission specific 
or even ATF.. no worries with general sealants that way..
dp

On 12/1/2015 1:08 PM, David Porter wrote:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>