Subject: Re: [TR] Tool help

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 23:46:25 -0800

> Anyone recommend a good dial indicator for measuring brake 
> rotor and wheel hub runout that is reasonably priced.

I don't necessarily trust Harbor Freight for accurate measuring tools.  Most of them seem OK, but their quality control is
non-existent and they sell bad ones mixed in with the good ones IMO.  So I got mine at Enco.  Their sale price varies, but they
almost always have a cheap dial indicator plus a magnetic base on sale for under $25.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=NE505-1848&PMPANO=0767186&PMKANO=399&PMKBNO=3638&PMPAGE=48&PARTPG=INLMPI

Or just the indicator for under $15
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=949084&PMAKA=605-4070

I've had mine for over 20 years and it still works well (though it's possible the magnetic base isn't quite as strong as it used to
be).  FWIW, here's a photo of it in use http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Front%20hub%20runout/DSCF0001_crop.jpg.html

Of course, if you really mean you want a good one (instead of cheap Chinese), Enco also carries lots of brand names like Starrett,
Mitutoyo and so on.  Still good prices for what they are, I believe, but a lot more expensive than the cheap ones.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=4822377&PMAKA=240-0095
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=951221&PMAKA=605-4072

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive