Subject: [TR] TR2/3 Trans/OD removal

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 13:21:57 -0500

Hello List:
Have followed the list questions and comments on leaks in the trans/OD. 
Unfortunately, my '2 seems to be plagued with the same issues on a very 
recently "rebuilt" OD unit. A couple of questions, is the OD more prone 
to leaks if overfilled? I may have been a bit over-enthusiastic in 
replenishing the Redline.
Secondly, can you remove the OD unit from the trans with the trans in 
the car? When I last removed the OD, had the engine/trans unit on the 
garage floor, then removed the OD from the trans when tearing everything 
down. Re-installed the whole engine/trans as a unit.
Just dreading the whole front clip, etc. removal process, even as a 
winter project. Nice fresh paint and all.
Thanks for any insights.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 10:52:42 -0800

> A couple of questions, is the OD 
> more prone 
> to leaks if overfilled? 

Just a bit shouldn't make much difference, but too much definitely can.  There is a vent on top of the OD that can throw oil if it
is overfilled.  Easy enough to find out, just let some out until the level either comes down to the mark on the dipstick or (if you
have a later gearbox) quits running out the fill plug hole.

> the car?

Mating the OD to the gearbox is a difficult chore even with them out of the car.  I've never tried doing it in the car, but it
doesn't seem worth the aggravation, especially since a common source of leaks is distortion in the adapter plate.

> winter project.

My suggestion would be to pull the gearbox & OD as a unit, leaving the engine in the car.  No need to pull the front apron if you do
it that way.  The flat rate manual claims you can get the gearbox out and back in in less than 5 hours (yeah, right).

Randall

---

From: "wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 12:52:11 -0600

Angelo,

Second question first: You can pull the trans from inside the car quite
easily so it seems to reason that pulling the OD off the end of the trans
could be done simply as well.  Remove your seats & carpet(where possible)
and cover everything in plastic and/or old blankets to protect your interior
while you are working.   A transmission jack works very nice to cradle and
gently lift and hold the motor while you are working with the OD unit.

First question second: No direct experience in overfilling an OD unit but
logic tells me anything that is overfilled can be prone to leaking as fluids
get up to places they should not be.  Solution would be to drain and re-fill
to the specified level.

Hope this helps,
Bill
TS30800L(O)

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Angelo
Graham
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR2/3 Trans/OD removal

Hello List:
Have followed the list questions and comments on leaks in the trans/OD. 
Unfortunately, my '2 seems to be plagued with the same issues on a very
recently "rebuilt" OD unit. A couple of questions, is the OD more prone to
leaks if overfilled? I may have been a bit over-enthusiastic in replenishing
the Redline.
Secondly, can you remove the OD unit from the trans with the trans in the
car? When I last removed the OD, had the engine/trans unit on the garage
floor, then removed the OD from the trans when tearing everything down.
Re-installed the whole engine/trans as a unit.
Just dreading the whole front clip, etc. removal process, even as a winter
project. Nice fresh paint and all.
Thanks for any insights.
Angelo Graham

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]