Subject: [TR] off topic question

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:05:00 -0500

Sorry to ask a totally off-topic question: but some of the list members might know the answer.

In the days of the military draft, what happened to the individual's finances if they were suddenly called up? i.e. If you were making your mortgage payments working at a regular job with a decent salary and then you were drafted, with (presumably) a lower pay as a Private, did you just lose your home and tough luck to you, or was there some sort of protection?

Not trying to have a political discussion; just following up on an interesting dinner table discussion. All my close UK and North American family did their military service at 18 or after university, none were called up unexpectedly, so nobody could venture an answer.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 14:35:28 -0800

> If you were making your mortgage payments working at a 
> regular job with a decent salary and then you were drafted, 
> with (presumably) a lower pay as a Private, did you just lose 
> your home and tough luck to you, or was there some sort of protection?

As I recall, there was a "hardship exemption".  If you could show undue hardship, like not being able to support your dependents,
you could get an exemption from military service.  But, back then, the military actually paid pretty good once you factor in that
they supplied food, housing, clothing, health care and so on.  And probably just having to sell your house would not count as a
hardship, since you wouldn't need it while in the military (and the military would help you buy another one after you were
discharged).  They did give you time to settle your affairs (or apply for re-classification as a student or whatever), so you
wouldn't have to just walk away from it.

-- Randall