Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

From: "Carl-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:16:24 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1740406276102316814==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D12BA3.9B0D2A90"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D12BA3.9B0D2A90
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

There are only so many (or few) places for oil to leak from the gearbox.

I have my doubts that that is the problem.

Can the underside be cleaned sufficiently to have a 'clean' look to it from
the below?

If so, I suggest cleaning it, topping up the oil and take it for a very
short drive - enough to engage the overdrive.

Park the car overnight on some clean newspaper or something else to see
where it is leaking.

Then put it up on a lift and see if you can then see where the oil is coming
from.  Oil spots on the paper are 'bread crumbs'   

Possibilities - 

Make sure all bolts on oil pan and gearbox are tight.  If oil is coming from
one of the bolt areas - gasket could be torn?

oil pan warped and seeping out that way?

Rear oil seal?

If not the oil pan or loose bolts - no way to do anything but pull gearbox
and maybe engine.

C.

Carl Musson

1960 Triumph TR3A

TS81802LO

Tampa Bay Florida

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew
Uprichard
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 6:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

What do you all think about a car (fortunately not mine) with a supposedly
rebuilt overdrive gearbox but which is leaking a cup and a half of oil every
200 miles?

The owner insists it is the gearbox and not the engine, although the leak is
hard to pinpoint.

I must confess my ignorance of gearboxes as I usually send them out to be
rebuilt by a guy I really trust.

So my question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is amenable to a
fix other than pulling the gearbox out ?

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D12BA3.9B0D2A90
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><a =
name=3D"_MailEndCompose"><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>There are only so =
many (or few) places for oil to leak from the =
gearbox.<o:p></o:p></span></a></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I have my doubts that that is the =
problem.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Can the underside be =
cleaned sufficiently to have a &#8216;clean&#8217; look to it from the =
below?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>If so, I suggest cleaning it, topping up the oil =
and take it for a very short drive &#8211; enough to engage the =
overdrive.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Park the car overnight on some clean newspaper =
or something else to see where it is leaking.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Then put it up on a lift =
and see if you can then see where the oil is coming from. &nbsp;Oil =
spots on the paper are &#8216;bread crumbs&#8217;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Possibilities &#8211; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Make sure all bolts on =
oil pan and gearbox are tight.&nbsp; If oil is coming from one of the =
bolt areas &#8211; gasket could be torn?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>oil pan warped and =
seeping out that way?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Rear oil seal?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>If not the oil pan or =
loose bolts &#8211; no way to do anything but pull gearbox and maybe =
engine.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>C&#8230;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Carl =
Musson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>1960 Triumph TR3A<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>TS81802LO<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Tampa Bay =
Florida<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Andrew Uprichard<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, November 30, 2015 6:25 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR3 =
gearbox oil leak<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>What do you =
all think about a car (fortunately not mine) with a supposedly rebuilt =
overdrive gearbox but which is leaking a cup and a half of oil every 200 =
miles?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The owner insists it is the gearbox and not the =
engine, although the leak is hard to pinpoint.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I must =
confess my ignorance of gearboxes as I usually send them out to be =
rebuilt by a guy I really trust.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So my =
question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is amenable to a =
fix other than pulling the gearbox out ?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D12BA3.9B0D2A90--

--===============1740406276102316814==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1740406276102316814==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:37:23 -0700

The most common leak points in gearboxes are the front and rear seals and the O rings in the top cover.
It can be fairly difficult to pinpoint the source as the oil gets blown around as one drives.

Probably the first thing I would do is see if it leaks when sitting still, at idle in neutral.

mjb.

---

From: Alexander Delis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:53:04 -0500

--===============9201456184288467944==

--Apple-Mail=_8F6C5F0B-2FE5-47B3-B47A-D6E35B4F5915
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

I had the same thing happen after a tranny rebuild in my TR3

We got some dye at NAPA that can be seen using a blacklight

We filled the tranny, put the dye in and cleaned it well

Ran it for a couple hundred miles and easily found the leak(s)- several =
leaks

Pulled the tranny, brought it back to the shop that rebuilt it and the =
fixed it while I waited

Been fine now for a couple of years

Alex

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 6:24 pm, Andrew Uprichard =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> What do you all think about a car (fortunately not mine) with a =
supposedly rebuilt overdrive gearbox but which is leaking a cup and a =
half of oil every 200 miles?
> =20
> The owner insists it is the gearbox and not the engine, although the =
leak is hard to pinpoint.
> =20
> I must confess my ignorance of gearboxes as I usually send them out to =
be rebuilt by a guy I really trust.
> =20
> So my question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is amenable =
to a fix other than pulling the gearbox out ?
> =20
> Andrew Uprichard
>=20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive <http://www.team.net/archive>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums <http://www.team.net/forums>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_8F6C5F0B-2FE5-47B3-B47A-D6E35B4F5915
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">I had the same thing happen after a tranny rebuild in my =
TR3<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">We got some dye =
at NAPA that can be seen using a blacklight</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">We filled the tranny, put the dye in =
and cleaned it well</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Ran it for a couple hundred miles and easily found the =
leak(s)- several leaks</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Pulled the tranny, brought it back to the shop that rebuilt =
it and the fixed it while I waited</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Been fine now for a couple of =
years</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Alex</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Nov 30, 2015, at 6:24 pm, =
Andrew Uprichard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">What do you all think about a car =
(fortunately not mine) with a supposedly rebuilt overdrive gearbox but =
which is leaking a cup and a half of oil every 200 miles?<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">The owner =
insists it is the gearbox and not the engine, although the leak is hard =
to pinpoint.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in =
0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D""><o:p class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">I must confess my ignorance of gearboxes as I usually send =
them out to be rebuilt by a guy I really trust.<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">So my =
question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is amenable to a =
fix other than pulling the gearbox out ?<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Andrew Uprichard<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div></div><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span=
 style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">**<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>**</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: =
inline !important;" class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: =
inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: =
inline !important;" class=3D"">Forums:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: =
inline !important;" class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: purple; text-decoration: underline; font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a=
></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_8F6C5F0B-2FE5-47B3-B47A-D6E35B4F5915--

--===============9201456184288467944==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9201456184288467944==--

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:53:56 -0800

If they used RTV as a sealant, the gear oil has caused it to fail and it
will leak like a sieve.

Made that mistake a couple times.  It isn't formulated for gear oils
although there is an RTV on the market now that they claim is up to the
task.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 4:44 PM
To: 'Andrew Uprichard' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox oil leak

> So my question is, is there any type of gearbox leak which is amenable 

It is possible, though not easy, to change the rear seal with the unit in
the car.  But if it were the rear seal leaking that badly, it would be
pretty obvious I think.  Of course, I also think it would be easy to tell if
the gearbox was that low on oil, too.  If you do this, be sure to inspect
the sealing surface on the flange, and use a Speedi-sleeve if necessary.

I did have one A-type OD that started leaking pretty badly at the adapter
plate, I think because a piece of gasket blew out (possibly because the
plate was distorted and didn't clamp the gasket evenly).  I managed to
mostly stop that leak by draining the gearbox, cleaning the area thoroughly,
and then heavily 'buttering' the entire gasket area with Permatex "Ultra
Gray" RTV.  Used the whole tube as I recall.  Let it dry thoroughly before
refilling with oil.  It was still working some 6 or 8 months later when I
replaced the entire gearbox & OD.

Randall

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]