Subject: [TR] An expensive lesson

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 08:25:06 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7028306015475756723==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0278_01D11935.CF683850"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0278_01D11935.CF683850
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In finishing off the restoration of a '60 TR3A, I have been shocked at the
poor quality of aftermarket parts (I already posted about the new slave
cylinder where the bleeder did not seat adequately).

Last week we were fitting a new windscreen when it cracked bottom to top.
Not wanting a repeat performance, I started looking for a reason and found
that the rubber buffer which is held in place by the rear-view mirror
protruded a full quarter-inch more than an old one I had in a box of parts.
I cut it back and the new windscreen went on without any problems.

I am not blaming any of the usual providers, just stating the obvious:
parts aren't getting any better and a bad $2 part can end up costing
hundreds.  Restorer beware!

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_0278_01D11935.CF683850
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>In =
finishing off the restoration of a &#8217;60 TR3A, I have been shocked =
at the poor quality of aftermarket parts (I already posted about the new =
slave cylinder where the bleeder did not seat =
adequately).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Last week we were fitting a new windscreen when it =
cracked bottom to top.&nbsp; Not wanting a repeat performance, I started =
looking for a reason and found that the rubber buffer which is held in =
place by the rear-view mirror protruded a full quarter-inch more than an =
old one I had in a box of parts.&nbsp; I cut it back and the new =
windscreen went on without any problems.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am not =
blaming any of the usual providers, just stating the obvious:&nbsp; =
parts aren&#8217;t getting any better and a bad $2 part can end up =
costing hundreds.&nbsp; Restorer beware!<br><br>Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0278_01D11935.CF683850--

--===============7028306015475756723==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7028306015475756723==--