Subject: Re: [TR] Any suggestions ?

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 07:05:55 -0500

On the first pus, the slave pushrod doesn't move enough to fully disengage,
but the second push is fine (rod moves probably a quarter-inch more).

Bled the line at the master cylinder, but that didn't help.  The master had
been rebuilt, so I replaced it with a new one:  the slave was new from the
get-go.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2015 1:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Any suggestions ?

> New TR3 rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and slave.  
> Silicone Dot-5 used throughout.  Clutch still "pumps up"

Do you mean it holds pressure all the time, or just that the pedal gets
higher?

I'd try cracking the fitting loose at the MC outlet and see if that
immediately changes the problem.  If it does, then it is a MC problem and
Tony is probably right about the pushrod being too long (or the stop being
misadjusted).  (Another thing to check for would be the pedal hanging up and
not returning fully.)

If it is just the pedal height changing, though, without holding pressure in
the system; then the slave is not returning fully.  The spring is weak or
the slave is binding.

When I installed a later TR6 gearbox, it moved the clutch slave rearward
enough that the return spring was too long.  I had to fabricate a tab to
stretch the spring a bit farther to get the slave to return reliably under
just spring force.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 06:27:58 -0600

--===============9185643881019736102==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000A_01D1146E.73A200D0"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D1146E.73A200D0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

With my TR6, the bleed screw on the slave cylinder is not at the highest
point in the slave cylinder when it is mounted.  So I dismounted the
cylinder and rotated the cylinder so that the bleed screw was at the highest
point.  Bled it.  Then remounted the slave.  Is that possibly an issue with
the TR3?

Creig Houghtaling

St. Louis, MO

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew
Uprichard
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Any suggestions ?

New TR3 rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and slave.  Silicone
Dot-5 used throughout.  Clutch still "pumps up"

Have bled it time and again and no evidence of air in the lines.

I have been told that some master cylinders are not "silicone-friendly" and
lead to internal shunting of the fluid.  Any truth to that?  Keep bleeding
the lines?

Any suggestion would be great.  Thanks!

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D1146E.73A200D0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>With my TR6, the bleed screw on the slave =
cylinder is not at the highest point in the slave cylinder when it is =
mounted.&nbsp; So I dismounted the cylinder and rotated the cylinder so =
that the bleed screw was at the highest point.&nbsp; Bled it. &nbsp;Then =
remounted the slave.&nbsp; Is that possibly an issue with the =
TR3?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Creig Houghtaling<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>St. Louis, =
MO<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Andrew Uprichard<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:45 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Any =
suggestions ?<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>New TR3 =
rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and slave.&nbsp; Silicone =
Dot-5 used throughout.&nbsp; Clutch still &#8220;pumps =
up&#8221;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Have bled it time and again and no evidence of air in =
the lines.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I have been told that some master cylinders are not =
&#8220;silicone-friendly&#8221; and lead to internal shunting of the =
fluid.&nbsp; Any truth to that?&nbsp; Keep bleeding the =
lines?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Any suggestion would be great.&nbsp; =
Thanks!<br><br>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01D1146E.73A200D0--

--===============9185643881019736102==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9185643881019736102==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 07:30:20 -0700

> been rebuilt, so I replaced it with a new one:  the slave was new from the
Did you try Tony's suggestion?  And you have a new flex line as well 
right?  One thing I learned to do is to blow through a new rubber flex 
line before installing it.  Once I bought one that had a fitting crimp 
that was so tight it completely closed off the inside of the hose.  So 
it is conceivable that a crimp has almost closed off the hose.  And some 
systems seem to really love retaining bubbles.  For those a pressure 
bleed is the only way to get them all out.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 09:59:29 -0500

TeriAnn:  I am thinking it has to be air, so I will try what you suggest.
Thanks!

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn
J. Wakeman
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2015 9:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Any suggestions ?

On 11/1/15 5:05 AM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:
> On the first pus, the slave pushrod doesn't move enough to fully 
> disengage, but the second push is fine (rod moves probably a quarter-inch
more).
>
> Bled the line at the master cylinder, but that didn't help.  The 
> master had been rebuilt, so I replaced it with a new one:  the slave 
> was new from the get-go.
>
Did you try Tony's suggestion?  And you have a new flex line as well right?
One thing I learned to do is to blow through a new rubber flex line before
installing it.  Once I bought one that had a fitting crimp that was so tight
it completely closed off the inside of the hose.  So it is conceivable that
a crimp has almost closed off the hose.  And some systems seem to really
love retaining bubbles.  For those a pressure bleed is the only way to get
them all out.

TeriAnn

---

From: Greg Schuett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 13:23:55 -0800

Andrew 

Did you bench bleed the master?

Greg

Sent from my iPhone - please excuse the brevity

> On Nov 1, 2015, at 6:59 AM, Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]