Subject: [TR] Vibration at Speed

From: Bob Rochlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 23:13:13 +0000

--===============3174812613303091209==
	boundary="_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_"

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Everyone=2C     Over the summer I got a new set of Michelins for my TR6.=
 The old tires were 15 years old and were causing some shimmy vibration as =
well as being well past safe.  This was in connection with getting my wire =
wheels straightened and trued.  The wires guy=2C New England Wire Wheel=2C =
mounted and balanced the tires with a Snap-on static balancer . When I got =
the wheels back on the car I went out for a ride and felt a definite vibrat=
ion between 65 and 75 MPH.  I concluded that the wheels needed to be rebala=
nced with a dynamic balancer.  I found a shop who could balance the tires c=
orrectly and had them rebalanced.  The tires were little better=2C but ther=
e was still a pronounced vibration in the seat and body at 65 to 75 MPH.  I=
 brought the tires back to the tire shop and they graciously first checked =
the tire balance and then rebalanced them.  They said that the balance was =
of about a 1/4 oz. =2C and that two of the tires seemed to be a very slight=
ly out of round.  I mount those tire on the rear=2C but again the same prob=
lem.      I've moved the tires from front to back thinking if the offending=
 tires were on the front wheels the vibration would be through the steering=
 wheel and not the frame.  No joy.  My thought is that there is something i=
n the driveline causing the vibration=2C perhaps the rear brake drums worn =
out of balance.  The drive shaft was balanced 5 to 6 years back.  Over the =
years i've replaced all the universal joints.  As far as I can tell the rea=
r drums are original to the car=2C as are the half shafts.      Before I st=
art pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If anyone has had a similar=
 problem of a suggestion of where to go next.  I'd appreciate the input.   =
 Bob    72'TR6 		 	   		  =

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<style><!--
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
<body class=3D'hmmessage'><div dir=3D'ltr'>Hi Everyone=2C<div>&nbsp=3B &nbs=
p=3B &nbsp=3BOver the summer I got a new set of Michelins for my TR6. The o=
ld tires were 15 years old and were causing some shimmy vibration as well a=
s being well past safe. &nbsp=3BThis was in connection with getting my wire=
 wheels straightened and trued. &nbsp=3BThe wires guy=2C New England Wire W=
heel=2C mounted and balanced the tires with a Snap-on static balancer . Whe=
n I got the wheels back on the car I went out for a ride and felt a definit=
e vibration between 65 and 75 MPH. &nbsp=3BI concluded that the wheels need=
ed to be rebalanced with a dynamic balancer. &nbsp=3BI found a shop who cou=
ld balance the tires correctly and had them rebalanced. &nbsp=3BThe tires w=
ere little better=2C but there was still a pronounced vibration in the seat=
 and body at 65 to 75 MPH. &nbsp=3BI brought the tires back to the tire sho=
p and they graciously first checked the tire balance and then rebalanced th=
em. &nbsp=3BThey said that the balance was of about a 1/4 oz. =2C and that =
two of the tires seemed to be a very slightly out of round. &nbsp=3BI mount=
 those tire on the rear=2C but again the same problem. &nbsp=3B</div><div>&=
nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B I've moved the tires from front to back thinking if the of=
fending tires were on the front wheels the vibration would be through the s=
teering wheel and not the frame. &nbsp=3BNo joy. &nbsp=3BMy thought is that=
 there is something in the driveline causing the vibration=2C perhaps the r=
ear brake drums worn out of balance. &nbsp=3BThe drive shaft was balanced 5=
 to 6 years back. &nbsp=3BOver the years i've replaced all the universal jo=
ints. &nbsp=3BAs far as I can tell the rear drums are original to the car=
=2C as are the half shafts. &nbsp=3B</div><div>&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B Before I s=
tart pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If anyone has had a simila=
r problem of a suggestion of where to go next. &nbsp=3BI'd appreciate the i=
nput.</div><div>&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B Bob</div><div>&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B 72'TR6</d=
iv> 		 	   		  </div></body>
</html>=

--_4b726254-ed9b-4071-837c-9da516322a0c_--

--===============3174812613303091209==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3174812613303091209==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 17:26:01 -0600 (CST)

Bob, I have a 72 TR6 myself, the whole front end has been rebuilt, and the tires are all in balance.

I have a vibration between 60 and 65, I just step on the gas and go a little faster until it stops.

It has always been that way so I am kind of used to it.

Good luck with yours.

Craig 
72 TR6 Vienna, VA

On 11/02/15, Bob Rochlin<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
Hi Everyone,
 Over the summer I got a new set of Michelins for my TR6. The old tires were 15 years old and were causing some shimmy vibration as well as being well past safe. This was in connection with getting my wire wheels straightened and trued. The wires guy, New England Wire Wheel, mounted and balanced the tires with a Snap-on static balancer . When I got the wheels back on the car I went out for a ride and felt a definite vibration between 65 and 75 MPH. I concluded that the wheels needed to be rebalanced with a dynamic balancer. I found a shop who could balance the tires correctly and had them rebalanced. The tires were little better, but there was still a pronounced vibration in the seat and body at 65 to 75 MPH. I brought the tires back to the tire shop and they graciously first checked the tire balance and then rebalanced them. They said that the balance was of about a 1/4 oz. , and that two of the tires seemed to be a very slightly out of round. I mount those tire on the rear, but again the same problem. 
 I've moved the tires from front to back thinking if the offending tires were on the front wheels the vibration would be through the steering wheel and not the frame. No joy. My thought is that there is something in the driveline causing the vibration, perhaps the rear brake drums worn out of balance. The drive shaft was balanced 5 to 6 years back. Over the years i've replaced all the universal joints. As far as I can tell the rear drums are original to the car, as are the half shafts. 
 Before I start pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If anyone has had a similar problem of a suggestion of where to go next. I'd appreciate the input.
 Bob
 72'TR6

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:42:05 -0800

>     Before I start pulling the driveline apart I thought I 
> see If anyone has had a similar problem of a suggestion of 
> where to go next.  I'd appreciate the input.

The new rotors I picked up at VTR some years ago (OK, a lot of years ago) turned out to be out of balance.  I tried drilling holes
to balance them, without much success; then finally bought another new pair.  The new ones are still not perfect, but much better
than the old ones.  I also found a front hub that didn't run true and skimmed the face.  Still some small vibration, but it's much
better than it was.

When I find time, I plan to use an old on-car wheel balancer (so the hubs, rotors & drums all get balanced with the tires & wheels)
and see what that does.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:44:15 -0800

> I have 16 plus TR3 wheels and every one is bent beyond use, 

Speaking of which, I have some bent TR6 wheels that are free to a good home.

-- Randall

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:10:09 -0500

Ah - the old "when I get time".....

Let me know when you work out where to find it......  :-)

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2015 9:42 PM
To: 'Truiumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] Vibration at Speed

>     Before I start pulling the driveline apart I thought I see If 
> anyone has had a similar problem of a suggestion of where to go next.  
> I'd appreciate the input.

The new rotors I picked up at VTR some years ago (OK, a lot of years ago)
turned out to be out of balance.  I tried drilling holes to balance them,
without much success; then finally bought another new pair.  The new ones
are still not perfect, but much better than the old ones.  I also found a
front hub that didn't run true and skimmed the face.  Still some small
vibration, but it's much better than it was.

When I find time, I plan to use an old on-car wheel balancer (so the hubs,
rotors & drums all get balanced with the tires & wheels) and see what that
does.

-- Randall  

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:39:14 +0000

Reminds me of my own life, I used to say, "someday, when I am older, and have more time and money" but the only variable in the equation that is consistently progressing is the first one.

---- Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 07:19:16 -0800

> Let me know when you work out where to find it......  :-)

Guilty as charged!  But now that I'm retired, I am slowly getting various projects done between naps.  Just the other day, I finally
repaired the threads in the windscreen frame, so I could install the Tenax pegs.  Now at least in theory I could install a top (if I
had one) <g>

Randall