Subject: [TR] Late TR3A Gas Tank

From: "CFMTR3a" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:36:17 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============2552822924946467832==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_011B_01D12786.443092F0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_011B_01D12786.443092F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have had to replace my tank as the coating has been releasing from the
metal and fouling up carbs etal.  

The new tank has the fitting for the vent pipe.  My tank had a 'plug' bolt.
The parts catalog shows P/N 206523 for post 60001.   But I haven't had any
issues with venting.  Is that because the gas cap is vented?  

Thanks

Carl

Carl Musson

1960 Triumph TR3A

TS81802LO

Tampa Bay Florida

[email-masked] 

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew
Uprichard
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Pearl and Sebring White

List:

Am I  right in thinking that:

Pearl white was a creamy white option for the TR3?

The early cars did not have a bright white?

Pearl White was superceded by Sebring White?

Old English White was not a Triumph color (at least for the TR3)?

Andrew Uprichard

Trying to do the white thing...

------=_NextPart_000_011B_01D12786.443092F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I have had to replace my tank as the coating has =
been releasing from the metal and fouling up carbs etal.&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>The new tank has the =
fitting for the vent pipe.&nbsp; My tank had a &#8216;plug&#8217; =
bolt.&nbsp; The parts catalog shows P/N 206523 for post =
60001.&nbsp;&nbsp; But I haven&#8217;t had any issues with =
venting.&nbsp; Is that because the gas cap is vented?&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Carl<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Carl =
Musson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>1960 Triumph TR3A<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>TS81802LO<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Tampa Bay =
Florida<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><a name=3D"_MailEndCompose"><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></a></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Andrew Uprichard<br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:47 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Pearl =
and Sebring White<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>List:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Am I =
&nbsp;right in thinking that:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Pearl =
white was a creamy white option for the TR3?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The early cars did not have a bright =
white?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Pearl White was superceded by =
Sebring White?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Old English White was =
not a Triumph color (at least for the TR3)?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Trying to do the white =
thing&#8230;&#8230;.<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_011B_01D12786.443092F0--

--===============2552822924946467832==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2552822924946467832==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:26:11 -0800

> The new tank has the fitting for the vent pipe.  My tank had 
> a 'plug' bolt.  The parts catalog shows P/N 206523 for post 
> 60001.   But I haven't had any issues with venting.  Is that 
> because the gas cap is vented?  

Apparently, some are and some aren't.  Mine is.  Even without the vent hole, I suspect they leak enough air to get by, since there
is no seal between the center post and the plate that slides on it.  Here's a shot of the vent hole on mine
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/Gastankventholeincap.jpg.html

I deliberately blocked the tank vent, because it can dump raw fuel on the ground if you turn a tight corner with a full tank.  Even
with the tank vent blocked, I've never had that problem with the cap vent.

-- Randall

---

From: "CFMTR3a" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:38:14 -0500

Thank you Randall.  My cap does have a vent hole so I'll plug the tank vent.

Carl

Carl Musson
1960 Triumph TR3A
TS81802LO
Tampa Bay Florida
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Late TR3A Gas Tank

> The new tank has the fitting for the vent pipe.  My tank had a 'plug' 
> bolt.  The parts catalog shows P/N 206523 for post

Apparently, some are and some aren't.  Mine is.  Even without the vent hole,
I suspect they leak enough air to get by, since there is no seal between the
center post and the plate that slides on it.  Here's a shot of the vent hole
on mine
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/Gastankventhol
eincap.jpg.html

I deliberately blocked the tank vent, because it can dump raw fuel on the
ground if you turn a tight corner with a full tank.  Even with the tank vent
blocked, I've never had that problem with the cap vent.

-- Randall