Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Voltage Regulator

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:47:57 -0800

> Charging according to my voltmeter (replaced the old ammeter with one) at 15 amps.

How did you read 15 amps on a voltmeter??  

> Test shows that at startup 
> without shorting the cutout switch, the cutout switch fails 
> to engage.  Now I know where the problem is.

I would suggest going a bit deeper than that.  At startup, the cutout relay is 'looking' at the voltage the generator produces
without external field current.  Once you mash the cutout contacts closed, the battery supplies the field current.  So a weak
generator can cause exactly the same symptoms.

> Moss indicates regulators don't come nicely adjusted, unless you spend extra to buy that feature.  Is this really necessary?

Only if you want it to work right.  Since not working right can damage the generator and/or the battery, even the body from the
battery throwing acid out the vents; it seems kind of important to me.

But the adjustment procedure is not difficult at all, so why not try it yourself?  Better yet, try cleaning the contacts and running
through the adjustments with your old control box.  That might be all it needs.

Here's an old Lucas document that includes on-car tests and adjustment procedure.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffNTc3ODkwYzAtYjRlYS00NDNmLWI0YTYtNjY5ZjQxZTA2NGFm

PS, one big disadvantage of using only a voltmeter with a Lucas generator is that it won't tell you if the generator is putting out
enough current to cook itself.  30 amps even into a fully charged battery will only produce about 15 volts; but is enough to kill
the 19 amp generator fairly quickly.

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 00:37:45 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you, everyone.  Yes, obviously I was reading volts on a voltmeter, not amps.  Apologies for the misstatement.  Good point about the amps.  I'll do a multimeter test for amps.  

So what I'm hearing is that the usual voltage regulators don't come pre-adjusted, so that the one from Moss that does is indeed a bonafide choice.

Thank you, everyone.

Terry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], "list Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:47:57 PM
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Voltage Regulator

Randall