Subject: [TR] Fuel Pressure for Spitfire MK III ?

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:12:41 -0700

--===============7966359632875065472==

--Apple-Mail=_D49890B6-86F8-4554-8BB9-3D012DC25606
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

What is the recommended and/or best fuel pressure for a Spitfire MK III =
with a single ZS carb? In checking it shows 4.5 -5 PSI on a gage. I try =
to keep it close to 2 PSI or less on my dual ZS equipped TR6 or it =
develops a cough at idle, so it makes me wonder if the fuel pump is =
overwhelming the float needles.

With the Spit (this is the road Spit not the race car) it idles fine but =
the first attempt to accelerate it bogs down then catches then bogs some =
more and so on. I=92m going to switch the distributor out and the coil =
to see if my fuel problem is actually an ignition problem=85you know =
that old saying.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle=20
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

--Apple-Mail=_D49890B6-86F8-4554-8BB9-3D012DC25606
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">What =
is the recommended and/or best fuel pressure for a Spitfire MK III with =
a single ZS carb? In checking it shows 4.5 -5 PSI on a gage. I try to =
keep it close to 2 PSI or less on my dual ZS equipped TR6 or it develops =
a cough at idle, so it makes me wonder if the fuel pump is overwhelming =
the float needles.<div><br></div><div>With the Spit (this is the road =
Spit not the race car) it idles fine but the first attempt to accelerate =
it bogs down then catches then bogs some more and so on. I=92m going to =
switch the distributor out and the coil to see if my fuel problem is =
actually an ignition problem=85you know that old =
saying.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><div =
apple-content-edited=3D"true"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border-collapse: =
separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Bud Rolofson</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">Extreme Parts Racing&nbsp;(more than just a haircut)</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div>71TR6 CC57365 (Good =
6)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV =
Race Car #3</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">69 Spitfire MK III =
(back up FE engine/dinghy car)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle&nbsp;</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda =
Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"><br></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline" style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
</div>
<br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_D49890B6-86F8-4554-8BB9-3D012DC25606--

--===============7966359632875065472==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7966359632875065472==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:40:54 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5054741549494416663==
 boundary="------------060803010407030606090309"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------060803010407030606090309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

remove the piston chamber, turn the key-pump on. If fuel is pumping 
through the jet then.. pressure too high, floats adjusted improperly, 
needle and seat stuck open, etc..
  I would say that 4.5psi is about tops for the Strombergs..better tan 
SU's but not by much..
DP

On 11/16/2015 12:12 PM, Bud R wrote:
> What is the recommended and/or best fuel pressure for a Spitfire MK 
> III with a single ZS carb? In checking it shows 4.5 -5 PSI on a gage. 
> I try to keep it close to 2 PSI or less on my dual ZS equipped TR6 or 
> it develops a cough at idle, so it makes me wonder if the fuel pump is 
> With the Spit (this is the road Spit not the race car) it idles fine 
> but the first attempt to accelerate it bogs down then catches then 
> bogs some more and so on. I’m going to switch the distributor out and 
> the coil to see if my fuel problem is actually an ignition problem…you 
> know that old saying.
>
> Thanks
> Bud Rolofson
>
> 93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------060803010407030606090309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    remove the piston chamber, turn the key-pump on. If fuel is pumping
    through the jet then.. pressure too high, floats adjusted
    improperly, needle and seat stuck open, etc..<br>
     I would say that 4.5psi is about tops for the Strombergs..better
    tan SU's but not by much..<br>
    DP<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/16/2015 12:12 PM, Bud R wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      What is the recommended and/or best fuel pressure for a Spitfire
      MK III with a single ZS carb? In checking it shows 4.5 -5 PSI on a
      gage. I try to keep it close to 2 PSI or less on my dual ZS
      equipped TR6 or it develops a cough at idle, so it makes me wonder
      if the fuel pump is overwhelming the float needles.
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>With the Spit (this is the road Spit not the race car) it
        idles fine but the first attempt to accelerate it bogs down then
        catches then bogs some more and so on. I’m going to switch the
        distributor out and the coil to see if my fuel problem is
        actually an ignition problem…you know that old saying.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Thanks</div>
      <div>
        <div apple-content-edited="true"><span class="Apple-style-span"
            style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica;
            font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;
            font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height:
            normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing:
            0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border-collapse:
            separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; border-spacing: 0px;
            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
            <div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
              -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2; text-align:
                -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                <div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode:
                  space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                    class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2;
                    text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows:
                    2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                    <div style="word-wrap: break-word;
                      -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
                      after-white-space;"><span class="Apple-style-span"
                        style="orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto;
                        text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                        -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                        <div style="word-wrap: break-word;
                          -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break:
                          after-white-space;"><span
                            class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans: 2;
                            text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px;
                            widows: 2;
                            -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;">
                            <div style="word-wrap: break-word;
                              -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                              -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span
                                class="Apple-style-span" style="orphans:
                                2; text-align: -webkit-auto;
                                text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;
                                -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                none;">
                                <div style="word-wrap: break-word;
                                  -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                                  -webkit-line-break:
                                  after-white-space;"><span
                                    class="Apple-style-span"
                                    style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px;
                                    widows: 2;
                                    -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                    none;">
                                    <div style="word-wrap: break-word;
                                      -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                                      -webkit-line-break:
                                      after-white-space;"><span
                                        class="Apple-style-span"
                                        style="orphans: 2; text-indent:
                                        0px; widows: 2;
                                        -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect:
                                        none;">
                                        <div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">Bud Rolofson</div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;"><br>
                                          </div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">Extreme Parts
                                            Racing (more than just a
                                            haircut)</div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;"><br>
                                          </div>
                                          <div>71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)</div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV Race
                                            Car #3</div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">69 Spitfire MK III
                                            (back up FE engine/dinghy
                                            car)</div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race
                                            Support Vehicle </div>
                                          <div style="border-collapse:
                                            separate; color: rgb(0, 0,
                                            0); font-family: Helvetica;
                                            font-style: normal;
                                            font-variant: normal;
                                            font-weight: normal;
                                            letter-spacing: normal;
                                            line-height: normal;
                                            text-transform: none;
                                            white-space: normal;
                                            word-spacing: 0px;
                                            border-spacing: 0px;
                                            -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                            0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly
                                            Davidson Honda Mini-Trail
                                            Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div>
                                        </div>
                                        <div style="border-collapse:
                                          separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
                                          font-family: Helvetica;
                                          font-size: 12px; font-style:
                                          normal; font-variant: normal;
                                          font-weight: normal;
                                          letter-spacing: normal;
                                          line-height: normal;
                                          text-transform: none;
                                          white-space: normal;
                                          word-spacing: 0px;
                                          border-spacing: 0px;
                                          -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                          0px;"><br>
                                        </div>
                                        <div style="border-collapse:
                                          separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
                                          font-family: Helvetica;
                                          font-size: 12px; font-style:
                                          normal; font-variant: normal;
                                          font-weight: normal;
                                          letter-spacing: normal;
                                          line-height: normal;
                                          text-transform: none;
                                          white-space: normal;
                                          word-spacing: 0px;
                                          border-spacing: 0px;
                                          -webkit-text-stroke-width:
                                          0px;"><br>
                                        </div>
                                      </span><br
                                        class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                    </div>
                                  </span><br
                                    class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                                </div>
                              </span><br
                                class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                            </div>
                          </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                        </div>
                      </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                    </div>
                  </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
                </div>
              </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
            </div>
          </span><br class="Apple-interchange-newline" style="color:
            rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px;
            font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight:
            normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal;
            orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
            text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
            word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
          <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------060803010407030606090309--

--===============5054741549494416663==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5054741549494416663==--