Subject: Re: [TR] carb issues and stalling

From: "CFMTR3A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 18:57:53 -0500

Today was a long and interesting day.

Pulled plugs - dark/sooty and #4 damp.  Cleaned (only had couple hundred
miles on them); let the chambers 'air out'
Looked at fuel pump bowl; quite a bit of sediment; cleaned.  Most was dirt
but some was picked up by a magnet.
Disconnected fuel line at carbs; blew air through line; in addition to fuel
there was quite a bit of grunge
Opened float bowls on carbs; not too bad but evidence of moisture in the
fuel
Left it all open to 'air out'.  Cleaned carbs as much as possible without
dismantling.

Fuel filter before the pump - major sediment.  Cleaned it. It was so dirty
that the grunge was getting past the filter.
Looked in gas tank and sediment at bottom; used magnet to clean it out.
About a tablespoon's worth.  
Blew air toward gas tank from filter connection.  Used magnet again and got
about half that again. Looks like more in there so will do it again tomorrow
morning after the fuel settles.
Not sure what to do if it is just dirt.  Let it run almost dry and mop it up
with rags?  
#4 plug was .035 not .025 as spec'd.  could be why it was wet - couldn't get
enough spark.  Also mixture was about 1flat too rich on both carbs
Reconnected everything;  Checked points/condenser - no issues.
Primed fuel pump; pulled choke; and voila - purred like a kitten; idle a
little high at 1000-1100RPM.  Went for a 30 mile drive; no stalling; no
missing; no run-on.  

Tomorrow, I'll check timing although I don't expect any issues; re-set idle
and go for a long drive including highway speeds.  Can't decide if I'll get
more gas or let it get low.  About half tank now.  

The fuel filter is attached to the chassis rail and barely visible looking
down past the wiper motor mount area. I think it is about in the same
location that earlier models had a fuel shut-off.  It is not easy to check.
I may need to re-think location.   

Carl 
1960 Triumph TR3
TS81802LO
Tampa, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Carl-TR
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:54 PM
To: 'Truiumphs' <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] "The Little Bits"

My wife calls it the roundtoit list.  I'll eventually get around to it....

Checked off six of them yesterday.
1 & 2: fixed loose backup light mounting so that it doesn't bounce all over
the place and tightened socket so no more intermittent light.
3 & 4: Replaced buffers for the cubby box door and added a piece of tubing
where the lock mechanism 'fastens' to get rid of that persistent rattle.
5: Added grommets and fish-line loop on the top cover (to the lift-the-dot
peg) so it stays tucked under at speed
6: same repair Randall mentioned below

Today I am going to try to figure out why the car dies whenever I come to a
stop (richness, timing, etc) - thanks to all who added comments on that
topic over the last week or so.  Plenty of suggestions to work through.  

Still need to mount the soft top; and completely do the hard-top
installation.
Figure out how to operate the Go-Pro's simultaneously (3 cameras - mounted
on front bumper mount; roll-bar right behind where the passenger would be
sitting; and somewhere on the back looking to the rear).    Supposedly the
remote can be set up to start/stop all at the same time.

And don't get me started on the ever-growing honey-do list.   

But this endless weekend is great!  Don't know why I didn't do it 20 years
ago... Oh, yeah... kids, mortgage, bills, food on the table, etc.

Carl Musson
1960 Triumph TR3A
TS81802LO
Tampa Bay Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:19 AM
To: 'Truiumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] Vibration at Speed

> Ah - the old "when I get time".....
> 
> Let me know when you work out where to find it......  :-)

Guilty as charged!  But now that I'm retired, I am slowly getting various
projects done between naps.  Just the other day, I finally repaired the
threads in the windscreen frame, so I could install the Tenax pegs.  Now at
least in theory I could install a top (if I had one) <g>

Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 1:03:43 +0000

It sounds like you have quite a bit of crud in the tank, I don't know if this is causing your rich condition (I suppose it could if sediment is keeping a float needle from closing) but the sediment will be an ongoing issue unless you adress it.

Hillbilly way is to drain the tank, remove it, throw a handful of nuts and bolts or gravel in it (nuts and bolts will probably be easier to get out when you are done).  Now shake the hell out of it, or better yet if you have strapping young sons or grandsons have them shake the hell out of it with the openings taped up.  Do this for half an hour or more, rinse thoroughly with water drain all the gunk out, you will have to work a little to get your abrasive medium of choice out past the baffles, but it can be done. Dry in the hot sun turning on occasion to get the water out of the nooks and crannies.  If no sun available rig up a shop vac as a blower and hook it up to the tank to thoroughly air dry. 

There are ongoing debates about treating and sealing at this point, but I just put mine back in my TR250 after this and no problems for many years after.  In fact I had my carbs out yesterday and the fuel was very clean at the carb and the filter.

Of course you could pay someone to do similar but downsides of this 1) you have to pay for it 2) you have to find someone competent to do it, and 3) wait for them to get it done.  Where is the fun in that?

Greg Lemon
68 TR250
 
---- Don Hiscock <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> My filter is after the pump/sediment bowl, just before the inlet to the
> float bowl.  This is how Mark Macy and his crew set it up, and I'm very
> happy with that location.
> https://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-VgczDNP/0/X2/i-VgczDNP-X2.jpg
> 
> Don
> 1962 TR3B TSF202L
> 
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM, CFMTR3A <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> > http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> >

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 17:51:13 -0800

> that the grunge was getting past the filter.

So this is just a screen-type filter?  If a paper element filter was letting grunge through, it was defective, not just dirty.

It also sounds like you may be missing the fine brass screen that goes above the sediment bowl; and/or have deteriorating rubber
lines.  

Randall