Subject: [TR] Can I ask an Austin-Healey question?

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 08:28:39 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8665318969056428590==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_027D_01D11936.4EAB42B0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_027D_01D11936.4EAB42B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

As Triumphs owners, we aren't too concerned about "matching numbers" since
our engines never match body numbers anyway.  But I recently came across a
big Austin-Healey (100-4) sans engine and had a couple of questions:

-           Is it easy enough to source an engine for these cars?

-          Will the car be worth less with a non-matching engine?

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_027D_01D11936.4EAB42B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:632367589;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:633995872 1897013202 67698691 67698693 67698689 =
67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-start-at:75;
	mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:-;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0B7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Symbol;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0B7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Symbol;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>As =
Triumphs owners, we aren&#8217;t too concerned about &#8220;matching =
numbers&#8221; since our engines never match body numbers anyway.&nbsp; =
But I recently came across a big Austin-Healey (100-4) sans engine and =
had a couple of questions:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>-<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>&nbsp;Is it easy enough to source an engine for =
these cars?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>-<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Will the car be worth less with a non-matching =
engine?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_027D_01D11936.4EAB42B0--

--===============8665318969056428590==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8665318969056428590==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 15:30:51 +0000

The engine numbers don't match the body number, but you can get a certificate from the BMC Heritage Trust showing the proper engine number for the car.  As long as it is a Healey 100 motor  it should not make too big a difference except at the higher end level.  

Finding an engine is not going to be nearly as easy as finding a motor for a TR or an MGB, but they are out there, probably not in your back yard though.  

I had one for several years and loved it, the cars and parts are in high demand, I would buy it, if you change your mind they are easy to sell.

Also there is an equivalent Healey List with similar activity, good bunch, although like this list activity has slowed down a bit.  

Greg Lemon
TR250

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 11:02:45 -0800

--===============8810932761854156972==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0231_01D11A14.FFE30070"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0231_01D11A14.FFE30070
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Andrew,

There is a very active healey list on autox.team.net as well.  Lots of very
helpful friendly people on that one, much like this one.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the Healey guys are a bit
more interested in matching numbers, the fact of the matter is that the
Healey's are pretty valuable cars and very the very good ones are extremely
valuable.  

There are no shortage of them running with engine swaps however, and it
seems to be more so for the 4 cylinder cars and early 6 cylinder cars than
the later models.  The early 6 cylinder is sort of a boat anchor and the 4
cylinder cars have known cylinder head issues.

4 cylinder engines are available, but you are going to have to look hard.
You may have to source it from bits.

I have a good 4 cylinder spare crankshaft that we were lucky to find and I
had it magnafluxed and ground .010/.010.  

The 4 cylinder block itself was used in lots of other cars, and parts
availability is pretty good.  

Finding a good head will be the sticker.

It's pretty common for folks to upgrade to a later model transmission rather
than the 3 speed.   later 4 speed side and top loader transmissions are out
there.  You can also go with a Toyota 5 speed conversion.

These cars use a ton of Whitworth stuff.  Most of us have the wrenches, but
you'll want to invest in taps and dies if you don't have them already.

Rust repair on these can be a lot more complicated than a TR.

The front and rear shrouds are aluminum - not easy to work on if damaged.

You'll find the 4 cylinder car to be relatively crude.  They are very simple
cars.  You won't have any difficulty working on it with your TR experience.

 

Jonas Payne

PBR Consulting Services, LLC

702.882.6711

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew
Uprichard
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Can I ask an Austin-Healey question?

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_0231_01D11A14.FFE30070
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:x=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:632367589;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:633995872 1897013202 67698691 67698693 67698689 =
67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-start-at:75;
	mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:-;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0B7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Symbol;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0B7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Symbol;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:o;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0A7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	font-family:Wingdings;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><a =
name=3D"_MailEndCompose"><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Andrew,<o:p></o:p></span></a></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>There is a very active =
healey list on autox.team.net as well.&nbsp; Lots of very helpful =
friendly people on that one, much like this one.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I am going to go out on =
a limb here and say that the Healey guys are a bit more interested in =
matching numbers, the fact of the matter is that the Healey&#8217;s are =
pretty valuable cars and very the very good ones are extremely =
valuable.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>There are no shortage of =
them running with engine swaps however, and it seems to be more so for =
the 4 cylinder cars and early 6 cylinder cars than the later =
models.&nbsp; The early 6 cylinder is sort of a boat anchor and the 4 =
cylinder cars have known cylinder head issues.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>4 cylinder engines are =
available, but you are going to have to look hard.&nbsp; You may have to =
source it from bits.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I have a good 4 cylinder =
spare crankshaft that we were lucky to find and I had it magnafluxed and =
ground .010/.010.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>The 4 cylinder block =
itself was used in lots of other cars, and parts availability is pretty =
good.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Finding a good head will =
be the sticker.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>It&#8217;s pretty common =
for folks to upgrade to a later model transmission rather than the 3 =
speed.&nbsp; &nbsp;later 4 speed side and top loader transmissions are =
out there.&nbsp; You can also go with a Toyota 5 speed =
conversion.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>These cars use a ton of =
Whitworth stuff.&nbsp; Most of us have the wrenches, but you&#8217;ll =
want to invest in taps and dies if you don&#8217;t have them =
already.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Rust repair on these can =
be a lot more complicated than a TR.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>The front and rear =
shrouds are aluminum &#8211; not easy to work on if =
damaged.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>You&#8217;ll find the 4 =
cylinder car to be relatively crude.&nbsp; They are very simple =
cars.&nbsp; You won&#8217;t have any difficulty working on it with your =
TR experience.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Jonas =
Payne<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>PBR Consulting Services, =
LLC<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>702.882.6711<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Triumphs =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Andrew =
Uprichard<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:29 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Can I =
ask an Austin-Healey question?<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>As Triumphs =
owners, we aren&#8217;t too concerned about &#8220;matching =
numbers&#8221; since our engines never match body numbers anyway.&nbsp; =
But I recently came across a big Austin-Healey (100-4) sans engine and =
had a couple of questions:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>-<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>&nbsp;Is it easy enough to source an engine for =
these cars?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo2'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>-<span =
style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</span></span><![endif]>Will the car be worth less with a non-matching =
engine?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0231_01D11A14.FFE30070--

--===============8810932761854156972==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8810932761854156972==--