Subject: Re: [TR] Compression TR3A

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:01:38 -0700

--===============0869293326025010800==

--089e01229eb2c82c880524ab5c26

Guys -

I think Ann's interest in being able to drive the car under these
circumstances may be more that just for fun.  From the following video and
prior emails on this list I think the car gets used (or at least needs to
be available for use) in motion picture and TV productions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDgTDTAtptM

Is anybody here a member of NJTA?      http://www.njtriumphs.org/

Not practical for a group of volunteers to commit to any major work but
this sounds like a situation where some basic checks would tell a lot more
about what is called for and what can be done in the meantime.

Geo

--089e01229eb2c82c880524ab5c26
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Guys - </div><div><br></div><div>I think Ann&#39;s in=
terest in being able to drive the car under these circumstances may be more=
 that just for fun.=C2=A0 From the following video and prior emails on this=
 list I think the car gets used (or at least needs to be available for use)=
 in motion picture and TV productions:</div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMDgTDTAtptM" target=3D"_blank">https://ww=
w.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMDgTDTAtptM</a></div><div><br></div><div>Is anybody=
 here a member of NJTA?=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www=
.njtriumphs.org/">http://www.njtriumphs.org/</a></div><div><br></div><div>N=
ot practical for a group of volunteers to commit to any major work but this=
 sounds like a situation where some basic=C2=A0checks would tell a lot more=
 about what is called for and what can be done in the meantime.</div><div><=
br></div><div>Geo<br></div></div>

--089e01229eb2c82c880524ab5c26--

--===============0869293326025010800==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0869293326025010800==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:42:14 +0000 (UTC)

About the getting stranded and towed home thing, I keep recalling Jay Leno's thoughts.  He once said, to the effect, that "That's a part of owning vintage cars.  I've come to realize that it's just another way to meet new people and have an experience that takes you out of your normal life."

How else would I have met Rusty of Rusty's Towing Service, and come to carry his card in my wallet?

Rusty's nice and I like him.  But I've always wondered whether his name came before he got in the business...or after....

And I prefer his card when it has lots of dust on it....

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rye Livingston" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ann Carletta" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 11:37:18 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] Compression TR3A

I agree with others and two earlier comments I'd focus on before you even take off the head or anything else. 

1) You don't want to be far from home and have it stop running. Never fun to get stranded and towed. 
2) Additional damaging could be done, that may not be damaged yet, if you have a more catostrophic failure while running this engine in this ailing condition. 

Actually a third comment is also right on the mark. If you belong to a Car Club, you may find someone who'd help you rebuilt, supplying the labor and knowledge. 

Good luck, 

Rye 

On Nov 15, 2015, at 03:29 PM, Ann Carletta <[email-masked]> wrote: 

Hi and thanks to everyone who gave me comments on the carburetor. So turns out it wasn't a carb problem, but a compression problem #1-75, #2-55, #3-55 and #4-0. Even though he explained it to me, all I heard was the expensive price, which is not in my budget right now. Am I doing any damage to the car if I drive her this way. I always check the oil and fill it when needed. Is there a cheaper temporary fix? 

Ann 
1960 (or 59?) TR3A

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:23:26 -0600

we met a wonderful tow truck driver who was a great father and husband.  he 
was on his way home so the ride was off book.  he stored the car for a few 
days in his own garage until we could come back with a trailer.  we did 
reward him well for his troubles.

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:42 PM
To: Rye Livingston
Cc: [email-masked] ; Ann Carletta
Subject: Re: [TR] Compression TR3A

About the getting stranded and towed home thing, I keep recalling Jay Leno's 
thoughts.  He once said, to the effect, that "That's a part of owning 
vintage cars.  I've come to realize that it's just another way to meet new 
people and have an experience that takes you out of your normal life."

How else would I have met Rusty of Rusty's Towing Service, and come to carry 
his card in my wallet?

Rusty's nice and I like him.  But I've always wondered whether his name came 
before he got in the business...or after....