Subject: [TR] Shop floor for TR

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 22:13:53 -0500

Good evening List,

OK, not much TR content except it will occupy the space.  

Who has some experience with garage floor paint?  After a fire has taken out my shop I am planning on painting the fire- scarred concrete floor to achieve a clean smooth surface.  First step was to clean with TSP, currently underway is patching some surface holes,  next will be to etch thoroughly with muriatic acid.   Now, on to the question of what is the preferred top coating.  I have seen some heavy duty oil based floor paints and also the epoxy paints, any and all comments are appreciated. 

All the best,
Bill B
TS30800L 

Sent from my VIC-64

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Hoyt Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 07:51:08 -0400

This site is an excellent resource for garage flooring information.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

The general consensus is that whatever floor covering products that
can be purchased at the big box stores should be avoided and the best
prep is to shot-blast the floor (locally, those machines can be rented
from Home Depot).

On 10/10/15, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Who has some experience with garage floor paint?  After a fire has taken out
> my shop I am planning on painting the fire- scarred concrete floor to
> achieve a clean smooth surface.  First step was to clean with TSP, currently
> underway is patching some surface holes,  next will be to etch thoroughly
> with muriatic acid.   Now, on to the question of what is the preferred top
> coating.  I have seen some heavy duty oil based floor paints and also the
> epoxy paints, any and all comments are appreciated.
>
> All the best,
> Bill B
> TS30800L
>
> Sent from my VIC-64
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Hoyt

---

From: WILLIAM SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 23:08:20 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5778876886864172352==
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_sGs3Sjxd3ea+CxvwlN3qBQ)"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_sGs3Sjxd3ea+CxvwlN3qBQ)
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Bill, It all depends on two big questions: 1) How long do you need to have
the floor last, and 2) (the biggest question) - what you can afford. Like
Hoyt's response, I have also heard to avoid the big box products.  If you
have the funds, the best answer is a professionally done epoxy job where
they grind down the surface of the concrete before the coating is applied.
(BTW, while some of the franchise outfits do a reasonable job, I found the
best was an independent guy (in NJ) who used better products and did a more
thorough job.) If you choose to go that way and get bids, make sure that you
compare "apples to apples" and don't focus on the cost per square foot - go
by the total quote for the job.  I got three bids for my garage.  While the
two franchises quoted a lower cost per foot, they inflated the number of
square feet so that the independent guy who had a higher cost per foot came
out almost as low as the lower of the two franchise bids.  It was a
no-brainer, and he did a great job! Also, IMHO, make sure that whatever you
do, make sure that you put down a non-slip surface.  The franchise guys I
spoke to sprinkle multi-colored plastic flakes into the top layer while it's
wet. The independent who got my business used colored silica (sand).  

Bill 

William L. Smith

'72 TR6

'80 TR7

--Boundary_(ID_sGs3Sjxd3ea+CxvwlN3qBQ)
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bill, It =
all depends on two big questions: 1) How long do you need to have the =
floor last, and 2) (the biggest question) &#8211; what you can afford. =
Like Hoyt&#8217;s response, I have also heard to avoid the big box =
products.&nbsp; If you have the funds, the best answer is a =
professionally done epoxy job where they grind down the surface of the =
concrete before the coating is applied. (BTW, while some of the =
franchise outfits do a reasonable job, I found the best was an =
independent guy (in NJ) who used better products and did a more thorough =
job.) If you choose to go that way and get bids, make sure that you =
compare &#8220;apples to apples&#8221; and don&#8217;t focus on the cost =
per square foot &#8211; go by the total quote for the job.&nbsp; I got =
three bids for my garage.&nbsp; While the two franchises quoted a lower =
cost per foot, they inflated the number of square feet so that the =
independent guy who had a higher cost per foot came out almost as low as =
the lower of the two franchise bids.&nbsp; It was a no-brainer, and he =
did a great job! Also, IMHO, make sure that whatever you do, make sure =
that you put down a non-slip surface.&nbsp; The franchise guys I spoke =
to sprinkle multi-colored plastic flakes into the top layer while =
it&#8217;s wet. The independent who got my business used colored silica =
(sand). &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bill =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>William L. Smith<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&#8217;72 TR6<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&#8216;80 TR7<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>=

--Boundary_(ID_sGs3Sjxd3ea+CxvwlN3qBQ)--

--===============5778876886864172352==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5778876886864172352==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 17:33:21 -0700

FWIW, you might find this article interesting. Lots of other good stuff on the same site, so poke around a bit.

http://allgaragefloors.com/comparing-garage-floor-epoxy/