Subject: Re: [TR] OD transmission

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 09:35:02 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1688376914108278253==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003F_01D1001A.472AC4F0"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D1001A.472AC4F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have the same set up. I flip the switch and goes into OD regardless of =
the driving situation. If I=E2=80=99m just cruising at a constant speed, =
not accelerating or decelerating, it tends to =E2=80=9Cclank=E2=80=9D in =
or out of OD. Just touching the clutch eliminates that and it shifts =
smoothly.  I think that=E2=80=99s how it is supposed to work.

=20

The first thing that comes to mind is what kind of oil are you using? =
They can be very sensitive.  Right now I have Redline MTL in it and it =
works great.

=20

Bob

=20

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rye =
Livingston
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 8:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] OD transmission

=20

Looking for comments and suggestions.=20

=20

I just installed a TR4 rebuilt overdrive transmission in my 1960 TR3.  =
Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool.  I don't know what =
to expect or how it should work, but this doesn't seem right to me.  =
When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip the switch, it shifts into OD no =
problem.  If I'm accelerating at the time, it won't shift until I let up =
on the gas so there isn't any load.  As I experimented with this, =
driving down HWY 1 along the Pacific Coast Highway, there are short =
rolling hills and as I am going up the hill and flip the switch, it =
won't shift into OD until again I've crested the hill and have let up on =
the gas a bit.

=20

Now 3rd gear, I wondered if I'd ever use OD in 3rd gear, but I do find =
when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed about 45 mph, 3rd gear =
with OD is pretty nice.  So while cruising along like that when I =
accelerate fairly aggressively, like an automatic transmission, without =
me touching the switch, it will drop out of OD by itself as I =
accelerate, and when the load is reduced as I let up on the gas, it will =
shift back into OD.

=20

I told the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission about this and he said =
that isn't right, and his first question was if the oil level OK so I =
checked.  I took out the side fill plug and can see the oil level and it =
just starts to ooze over the threads. So that's not the problem.

=20

What is normal shifting for an OD transmission?

=20

Thanks,

=20

Rye

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D1001A.472AC4F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>I have the same set up. I flip the switch and goes into OD regardless =
of the driving situation. If I=E2=80=99m just cruising at a constant =
speed, not accelerating or decelerating, it tends to =
=E2=80=9Cclank=E2=80=9D in or out of OD. Just touching the clutch =
eliminates that and it shifts smoothly.=C2=A0 I think that=E2=80=99s how =
it is supposed to work.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>The first thing that comes to mind is what kind of oil are you using? =
They can be very sensitive. =C2=A0Right now I have Redline MTL in it and =
it works great.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Bob<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Rye Livingston<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, October 06, 2015 8:54 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Cc:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] OD =
transmission<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Looking =
for comments and suggestions.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
just installed a TR4 rebuilt overdrive transmission in my 1960 TR3. =
&nbsp;Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool. &nbsp;I =
don't know what to expect or how it should work, but this doesn't seem =
right to me. &nbsp;When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip the switch, it =
shifts into OD no problem. &nbsp;If I'm accelerating at the time, it =
won't shift until I let up on the gas so there isn't any load. &nbsp;As =
I experimented with this, driving down HWY 1 along the Pacific Coast =
Highway, there are short rolling hills and as I am going up the hill and =
flip the switch, it won't shift into OD until again I've crested the =
hill and have let up on the gas a bit.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Now 3rd gear, I wondered if I'd ever use OD in 3rd =
gear, but I do find when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed =
about 45 mph, 3rd gear with OD is pretty nice. &nbsp;So while cruising =
along like that when I accelerate fairly aggressively, like an automatic =
transmission, without me touching the switch, it will drop out of OD by =
itself as I accelerate, and when the load is reduced as I let up on the =
gas, it will shift back into OD.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
told the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission about this and he said =
that isn't right, and his first question was if the oil level OK so I =
checked. &nbsp;I took out the side fill plug and can see the oil level =
and it just starts to ooze over the threads. So that's not the =
problem.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>What is normal shifting for an OD =
transmission?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Rye<o:p></o:p></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D1001A.472AC4F0--

--===============1688376914108278253==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1688376914108278253==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:28:09 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5604758342305311876==
 boundary="------------040308010602070405020505"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040308010602070405020505
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Several possibilities come to mind.. for some (very odd) reason upon a 
load the voltage drops enough to allow the solenoid to drop out (check 
your fan belt) or as others mentioned the clutch assembly is not fully 
engaged (bent thrust carrier posts) and most likely, given your 
description, is that the bearings in the uni direction clutch and the 
face of the annulus,  where the bearings sit in their "ramps" are worn 
and slip under heavy load. This I would think would make some sort of 
noise. Also check that the brake ring is not cracked. And lastly or 
firstly make sure that the operating lever is properly adjusted..
  TR's were not fitted with a throttle switch, which would be the first 
thing to consider...as that is the same symptom based on throttle position..
DaveP

On 10/6/2015 9:53 AM, Rye Livingston wrote:
> Looking for comments and suggestions.
>
> I just installed a TR4 rebuilt overdrive transmission in my 1960 TR3. 
>  Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool.  I don't know 
> what to expect or how it should work, but this doesn't seem right to 
> me.  When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip the switch, it shifts into 
> OD no problem.  If I'm accelerating at the time, it won't shift until 
> I let up on the gas so there isn't any load.  As I experimented with 
> this, driving down HWY 1 along the Pacific Coast Highway, there are 
> short rolling hills and as I am going up the hill and flip the switch, 
> it won't shift into OD until again I've crested the hill and have let 
> up on the gas a bit.
>
> Now 3rd gear, I wondered if I'd ever use OD in 3rd gear, but I do find 
> when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed about 45 mph, 3rd gear 
> with OD is pretty nice.  So while cruising along like that when I 
> accelerate fairly aggressively, like an automatic transmission, 
> without me touching the switch, it will drop out of OD by itself as I 
> accelerate, and when the load is reduced as I let up on the gas, it 
> will shift back into OD.
>
> I told the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission about this and he 
> said that isn't right, and his first question was if the oil level OK 
> so I checked.  I took out the side fill plug and can see the oil level 
> and it just starts to ooze over the threads. So that's not the problem.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------040308010602070405020505
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Several possibilities come to mind.. for some (very odd) reason upon
    a load the voltage drops enough to allow the solenoid to drop out
    (check your fan belt) or as others mentioned the clutch assembly is
    not fully engaged (bent thrust carrier posts) and most likely, given
    your description, is that the bearings in the uni direction clutch
    and the face of the annulus,  where the bearings sit in their
    "ramps" are worn and slip under heavy load. This I would think would
    make some sort of noise. Also check that the brake ring is not
    cracked. And lastly or firstly make sure that the operating lever is
    properly adjusted..<br>
     TR's were not fitted with a throttle switch, which would be the
    first thing to consider...as that is the same symptom based on
    throttle position..<br>
    DaveP<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/6/2015 9:53 AM, Rye Livingston
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div>Looking for comments and suggestions. </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>I just installed a TR4 rebuilt overdrive transmission in my
        1960 TR3.  Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool.
         I don't know what to expect or how it should work, but this
        doesn't seem right to me.  When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip
        the switch, it shifts into OD no problem.  If I'm accelerating
        at the time, it won't shift until I let up on the gas so there
        isn't any load.  As I experimented with this, driving down HWY 1
        along the Pacific Coast Highway, there are short rolling hills
        and as I am going up the hill and flip the switch, it won't
        shift into OD until again I've crested the hill and have let up
        on the gas a bit.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Now 3rd gear, I wondered if I'd ever use OD in 3rd gear, but
        I do find when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed about
        45 mph, 3rd gear with OD is pretty nice.  So while cruising
        along like that when I accelerate fairly aggressively, like an
        automatic transmission, without me touching the switch, it will
        drop out of OD by itself as I accelerate, and when the load is
        reduced as I let up on the gas, it will shift back into OD.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>I told the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission about this
        and he said that isn't right, and his first question was if the
        oil level OK so I checked.  I took out the side fill plug and
        can see the oil level and it just starts to ooze over the
        threads. So that's not the problem.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>What is normal shifting for an OD transmission?</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Thanks,</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Rye</div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040308010602070405020505--

--===============5604758342305311876==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5604758342305311876==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 15:32:24 -0600