Subject: [TR] Any suggestions ?

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:45:02 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6015176170974263340==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0029_01D1142D.C88F8DB0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D1142D.C88F8DB0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

New TR3 rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and slave.  Silicone
Dot-5 used throughout.  Clutch still "pumps up"

Have bled it time and again and no evidence of air in the lines.

I have been told that some master cylinders are not "silicone-friendly" and
lead to internal shunting of the fluid.  Any truth to that?  Keep bleeding
the lines?

Any suggestion would be great.  Thanks!

Andrew Uprichard

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D1142D.C88F8DB0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>New TR3 =
rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and slave.&nbsp; Silicone =
Dot-5 used throughout.&nbsp; Clutch still &#8220;pumps =
up&#8221;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Have bled it time and again and no evidence of air in =
the lines.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I have been told that some master cylinders are not =
&#8220;silicone-friendly&#8221; and lead to internal shunting of the =
fluid.&nbsp; Any truth to that?&nbsp; Keep bleeding the =
lines?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Any suggestion would be great.&nbsp; =
Thanks!<br><br>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D1142D.C88F8DB0--

--===============6015176170974263340==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6015176170974263340==--

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:55:06 -0500

If the master cylinder adjustment is such that the piston in the 
master cylinder can't return to the bottom of the stroke, it won't 
relieve the pressure in the line.  Also, some brake master cylinders 
have some sort of check valve deal that doesn't play well with the 
clutch circuit.  This second scenario is unlikely, I'm banking on the 
first suggestion - adjust the rod between the pedal and the master 
cylinder (shorten it).

Cheers, Tony Drews

At 09:45 PM 10/31/2015, Andrew Uprichard wrote:
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>New TR3 rebuild with new clutch lines, master cylinder and 
>slave.  Silicone Dot-5 used throughout.  Clutch still "pumps up"
>
>I have been told that some master cylinders are not 
>"silicone-friendly" and lead to internal shunting of the fluid.  Any 
>truth to that?  Keep bleeding the lines?
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:21:05 -0700

> slave.  Silicone Dot-5 used throughout.  Clutch still "pumps up"

Do you mean it holds pressure all the time, or just that the pedal gets higher?

I'd try cracking the fitting loose at the MC outlet and see if that immediately changes the problem.  If it does, then it is a MC
problem and Tony is probably right about the pushrod being too long (or the stop being misadjusted).  (Another thing to check for
would be the pedal hanging up and not returning fully.)

If it is just the pedal height changing, though, without holding pressure in the system; then the slave is not returning fully.  The
spring is weak or the slave is binding.

When I installed a later TR6 gearbox, it moved the clutch slave rearward enough that the return spring was too long.  I had to
fabricate a tab to stretch the spring a bit farther to get the slave to return reliably under just spring force.

-- Randall