Subject: [TR] TR3 coil question

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:41:15 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1367479602010271865==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_007A_01D0F167.AC9E37C0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_007A_01D0F167.AC9E37C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I recently finished the restoration of a '57 small-mouth with a number of
upgrades / modifications including oversize pistons, ported head, lightened
flywheel, SU HS6 carbs with long intake manifold, and a 1,2,3 distributor.

The car runs great, but I seem to be frying coils, usually after pushing the
revs.

The first time it happened, I called 1,2,3 and they reminded me I had to use
a coil with more than 1.0 (and ideally more than 1.5) ohms resistance and no
external ballast.  I tried a regular Lucas coil and all was well until I
took the car to a rolling road yesterday and we ran it up to 5500 rpm.  (By
the way, the carburetion was fine  throughout the rev range, so I don't
think this is a fuel issue).  The car performed well on the dyno, but on the
way home started to backfire on acceleration, the same symptoms I have had
twice before and have been "cured" by replacing the coil.

This time I have ordered a Bosch Blue, 3.5 ohm coil, as recommended by
1,2,3.

If it happens again, I think I will revert to a standard points or Pertronix
set-up and see how the car runs, but I was wondering if anyone had had a
similar experience or might have any suggestions.

Andrew Uprichard

P.S.  The one thing we did observe at the rolling road was there was too
much advance:  around 10 degrees at idle and 35 degrees (25 added by the
!,2,3 distributor) at 4000 rpm. Although the car wasn't pinging, it did
flatten out around 4500 where one might have expected more power.  I can't
see how too much advance could be a culprit, but I am open to any thoughts.

------=_NextPart_000_007A_01D0F167.AC9E37C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I recently =
finished the restoration of a &#8217;57 small-mouth with a number of =
upgrades / modifications including oversize pistons, ported head, =
lightened flywheel, SU HS6 carbs with long intake manifold, and a 1,2,3 =
distributor.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The car runs great, but I seem to be frying coils, =
usually after pushing the revs.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The first =
time it happened, I called 1,2,3 and they reminded me I had to use a =
coil with more than 1.0 (and ideally more than 1.5) ohms resistance and =
no external ballast.&nbsp; I tried a regular Lucas coil and all was well =
until I took the car to a rolling road yesterday and we ran it up to =
5500 rpm.&nbsp; (By the way, the carburetion was fine&nbsp; throughout =
the rev range, so I don&#8217;t think this is a fuel issue).&nbsp; The =
car performed well on the dyno, but on the way home started to backfire =
on acceleration, the same symptoms I have had twice before and have been =
&#8220;cured&#8221; by replacing the coil.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This time I =
have ordered a Bosch Blue, 3.5 ohm coil, as recommended by =
1,2,3.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>If it happens again, I think I will revert to a =
standard points or Pertronix &nbsp;set-up and see how the car runs, but =
I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or might have any =
suggestions.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>P.S.&nbsp; =
The one thing we did observe at the rolling road was there was too much =
advance:&nbsp; around 10 degrees at idle and 35 degrees (25 added by the =
!,2,3 distributor) at 4000 rpm. Although the car wasn&#8217;t pinging, =
it did flatten out around 4500 where one might have expected more =
power.&nbsp; I can&#8217;t see how too much advance could be a culprit, =
but I am open to any thoughts.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_007A_01D0F167.AC9E37C0--

--===============1367479602010271865==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1367479602010271865==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 15:15:12 -0700

>  The car performed well on 
> the dyno, but on the way home started to backfire on 
> acceleration, the same symptoms I have had twice before and 
> have been "cured" by replacing the coil.

Just a (perverse) thought : after curing the problem, have you verified that it comes back when you un-replace the coil?

I'm wondering if there is some other issue, like perhaps a wire that is broken internally, that is getting moved (and hence
temporarily making good contact) during the coil replacement process.  Or perhaps some other component that fails only when hot
(like the 1-2-3 module).

Randall

---

From: Jason Sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:26:04 -0400

--===============1931475615502996040==

--089e011838101d5f71052009aa46

Andrew,
    Not TR3 related, but I've had to play around with coils on my modified
GT6 using the 123 distributor (USB tune model).  After a lot of fiddling, I
found that with the recommended Bosch "blue" coil, it would "go flat" at
high rpms when I was accelerating hard.  (this is compared to points dizzy
with a hot coil).
I ended up with the Bosch "red" coil (made in Brazil model, I'm told the
made in Mexico version is of lesser quality).  This solved my problems and
it once again is happy to pull strong up to 7,000 RPM's.

My theory is that the lower voltage "Blue" coil is fine for stock
applications, but isn't enough for higher performance use.

Jason

--089e011838101d5f71052009aa46
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Andrew,<div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Not TR3 related, but I&#39;ve ha=
d to play around with coils on my modified GT6 using the 123 distributor (U=
SB tune model).=C2=A0 After a lot of fiddling, I found that with the recomm=
ended Bosch &quot;blue&quot; coil, it would &quot;go flat&quot; at high rpm=
s when I was accelerating hard. =C2=A0(this is compared to points dizzy wit=
h a hot coil).</div><div>I ended up with the Bosch &quot;red&quot; coil (ma=
de in Brazil model, I&#39;m told the made in Mexico version is of lesser qu=
ality).=C2=A0 This solved my problems and it once again is happy to pull st=
rong up to 7,000 RPM&#39;s.</div><div><br></div><div>My theory is that the =
lower voltage &quot;Blue&quot; coil is fine for stock applications, but isn=
&#39;t enough for higher performance use.</div><div><br></div><div>Jason</d=
iv></div>

--089e011838101d5f71052009aa46--

--===============1931475615502996040==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1931475615502996040==--