Subject: [TR] What hone to use

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:58:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hi,

I am getting ready to do a ring job on my Spitfire engine because the rings did not seat correctly after a rebuild.

I plan on honing the cylinders.  The cylinders hopefully are in good condition as they were bored out approximately 5,000 miles ago.  I am hoping for some guidance on what type and grit of hone to use.  Are the brush hones the way to go for this?

I know this is some what speculative without seeing the hones, but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:22:21 -0500

Roger,
Actually it is more speculative without seeing the cylinders, for all the
standard reasons.  If you just need to break the glaze a wire brush or fine
grit will do the job but if there are some small scars, the kind that will
not require a re-bore, then a more aggressive hone would be called for
followed by the more fine grit hone.

Hope this helps a little,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger
Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] What hone to use

Hi,

I am getting ready to do a ring job on my Spitfire engine because the rings
did not seat correctly after a rebuild.

I plan on honing the cylinders.  The cylinders hopefully are in good
condition as they were bored out approximately 5,000 miles ago.  I am hoping
for some guidance on what type and grit of hone to use.  Are the brush hones
the way to go for this?

I know this is some what speculative without seeing the hones, but I am
hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]