Subject: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 14:38:42 -0700

Thanks to John and Adrian for their replies. For some reason, the daily digest didn’t arrive, so I looked up the thread. In the Competition Manual, Kastner says the mechanical fuel pump is just fine in terms of getting fuel to the carbs. For him, the advantage of the electric pump is that it can be installed in the trunk, keeping the fuel cooler.

Jeff Gayton

1962 Triumph TR4

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 10:56:56 -0400

--===============0898605028164619990==
	boundary="----=_Part_320854_1701847440.1439045816106"

------=_Part_320854_1701847440.1439045816106
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 It doesn't keep the fuel cooler but it does reduce the opportunity for vapor lock.  That is because the bulk of the fuel line run is under pressure rather than a slight depression.  The assumption is that the temps in the trunk are lower than in the engine bay and the short run from the tank to the pump will be cooler.

Driving the pump off of the oil pressure switch will reduce the chance of flooding a stalled engine. The Carb'd TR8 has a three terminal oil pressure switch and will run the pump whilst cranking to fill up the float bowls more quickly.  Most modern cars (including the TR8) have an impact switch that will switch off the pump in the event of a crash.  An additional safeguard.  You can use any impact switch found in a wrecking yard and they are cheap and abundant.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Hoyt Duff <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2015 9:42 am
Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump

I'm not sure I understand
how "... it can be installed in the trunk,
keeping the fuel cooler" actually
works to keep the fuel cooler.

Also , for safety reasons, an electric fuel
pump should be powered
through a relay that is driven by a two-terminal oil
pressure sensor.
With that, a non-turning engine (especially in the event of a
wreck)
won't continue to have fuel pumped to it.

-- 
Hoyt

------=_Part_320854_1701847440.1439045816106
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>

<div> <font size="4">It doesn't keep the fuel cooler but it does reduce the opportunity for vapor lock.&nbsp; That is because the bulk of the fuel line run is under pressure rather than a slight depression.&nbsp; The assumption is that the temps in the trunk are lower than in the engine bay and the short run from the tank to the pump will be cooler.<br>
<br>
Driving the pump off of the oil pressure switch will reduce the chance of flooding a stalled engine. The Carb'd TR8 has a three terminal oil pressure switch and will run the pump whilst cranking to fill up the float bowls more quickly.&nbsp; Most modern cars (including the TR8) have an impact switch that will switch off the pump in the event of a crash.&nbsp; An additional safeguard.&nbsp; You can use any impact switch found in a wrecking yard and they are cheap and abundant.<br>
<br>
</font>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Hoyt Duff &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2015 9:42 am<br>

Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1_93058ea0-9c72-4190-94bc-56ef9f46026f" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>
I'm not sure I understand
how "... it can be installed in the trunk,
keeping the fuel cooler" actually
works to keep the fuel cooler.

Also , for safety reasons, an electric fuel
pump should be powered
through a relay that is driven by a two-terminal oil
pressure sensor.
With that, a non-turning engine (especially in the event of a
wreck)
won't continue to have fuel pumped to it.

-- 
Hoyt

<a removedlink__cf382966-5371-4345-8c6b-6a0191530f16__href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank"></a>
</tt></pre>
</div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_93058ea0-9c72-4190-94bc-56ef9f46026f -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_320854_1701847440.1439045816106--

--===============0898605028164619990==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0898605028164619990==--

---

From: "Rick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 11:07:02 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4560035840318235051==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0026_01D0D1CA.5ACABF20"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D0D1CA.5ACABF20
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The low-pressure Facet pump for my TR3A is located on the frame in the left
rear wheel well, along with an in-line filter and a shut-off valve,
underneath the fuel tank feed line. I kept the original mechanical pump in
place (no guts, just the filter and sight glass and a thin blanking plate)
to preserve OEM appearances, and simply ran the new fuel line to the old
pump input port. I can reach the shut-off valve with the wheel in place, but
I usually remove the wheel when servicing the filter at spring start-up. The
Facet pump is powered by a separate dash switch which allows me to futz
around with the car electrics without operating the pump, and also provides
a small amount of security (are thieves really that dumb?). At spring
start-up, I find that I need to flow 1-2 pints of fuel through the lines
until the fuel (stabilized) runs clear of absorbed water, and the Facet
makes this task easy. 

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

1970 BSA Victor Special 441

1972 Norton 750 Commando Combat

1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3 

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D0D1CA.5ACABF20
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D2 face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>The =
low-pressure Facet pump for my TR3A is located on the frame in the left =
rear wheel well, along with an in-line filter and a shut-off valve, =
underneath the fuel tank feed line. I kept the original mechanical pump =
in place (no guts, just the filter and sight glass and a thin blanking =
plate) to preserve OEM appearances, and simply ran the new fuel line to =
the old pump input port. I can reach the shut-off valve with the wheel =
in place, but I usually remove the wheel when servicing the filter at =
spring start-up. The Facet pump is powered by a separate dash switch =
which allows me to futz around with the car electrics without operating =
the pump, and also provides a small amount of security (are thieves =
really that dumb?). At spring start-up, I find that I need to flow 1-2 =
pints of fuel through the lines until the fuel (stabilized) runs clear =
of absorbed water, and the Facet makes this task easy. =
<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 =
face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Rick in =
Seattle<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>1960 =
TR3A<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>1970 =
BSA Victor Special 441<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>1972 =
Norton 750 Commando Combat<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>1975 =
Norton 850 Commando =
Mk3&nbsp;</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D0D1CA.5ACABF20--

--===============4560035840318235051==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4560035840318235051==--