Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 00:25:22 +0100

Jeffrey Gayton wrote, "Kastner says the mechanical fuel pump is just fine in terms of getting fuel to the carbs. For him, the advantage of the electric pump is that it can be installed in the trunk, keeping the fuel cooler."

With due respect to Kas, perhaps he never drove a 2.5PI Triumph saloon for a long distance in high temperatures? If he had, he'd have soon become aware of fuelling problems as the gravity fed high pressure fuel pump was mounted on the trunk floor directly over the main rear silencer - and it all got very 'ot causing lots of problems. The solution (of course) as most of us have since done is throw out the Lucas pump, fit one from Bosch and mount it on the other side. Problem solved. Then there is the other interesting issue of Pressure Relief Valve warble on TR5 and TR6 which you guys in the States have luckily been spared the experience of 'enjoying'.

Jonmac

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dixie4 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:52:58 +0100

If you do not mind the expense I would buy the SU pump with the digital 
internals intended for the MGB (washes mouth out with soap) and retain 
the mechanical pump but disconnected from a fuel supply, it is not 
needed. This would be short pull, long push
I have not actually tried it but it may be possible to mount the pump 
next to the tank behind the backboard.

As the pump would not be seen perhaps I would consider a Chinese solid 
state pump available for 10.5 GBP. on eBay UK. A fit and forget solution 
small and compact. The delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU 
and Stromberg carbs, higher for Webers.

Adrian

On 05/08/2015 22:38, Jeffrey Gayton wrote:
> Thanks to John and Adrian for their replies. For some reason, the daily digest didn’t arrive, so I looked up the thread. In the Competition Manual, Kastner says the mechanical fuel pump is just fine in terms of getting fuel to the carbs. For him, the advantage of the electric pump is that it can be installed in the trunk, keeping the fuel cooler.
>
> Jeff Gayton
>
> 1962 Triumph TR4
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 18:05:57 -0700

--===============3527695569047661279==

--bcaec548a627e3c6e9051cc25a6c

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Dixie4 <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> ....The delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU and Stromberg
> carbs...
>

That sounds too high to me.  I have never used that much pressure so I
can't say for sure it would overwhelm the needle valves but the carbs
certainly do not need that much.

Geo

--bcaec548a627e3c6e9051cc25a6c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On T=
hu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Dixie4 <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px =
0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-w=
idth:1px;border-left-style:solid">
<br>
....The delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU and Stromberg carb=
s...<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>That sounds too high to me.=C2=A0 =
I have never used that much pressure so I can&#39;t say for sure it would o=
verwhelm the needle valves but the carbs certainly do not=C2=A0need that mu=
ch.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo=C2=A0</div></div></div></div>

--bcaec548a627e3c6e9051cc25a6c--

--===============3527695569047661279==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3527695569047661279==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:04:40 -0400

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Dixie4 <[email-masked]> wrote:
> As the pump would not be seen perhaps I would consider a Chinese solid state
> pump available for 10.5 GBP. on eBay UK. A fit and forget solution small and
> compact. The delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU and Stromberg
> carbs, higher for Webers.

For small pumps that won't be seen, the low pressure Facet pump may be
a good alternative.  You can even use it inline with the mechanical
pump.

40104 at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php?clickkey=9133
is a 1.5 - 4.0 psi, 25 gph pump.  FEP-42SV is the install kit that
includes the bolts and the filter.  Don't use a Facet pump without the
proper filter, and a regular filter ahead of it.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---

From: "Bill Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 05:22:05 -0700

Another thing is that an electric fuel pump fills up the carb fuel bowls before you start cranking which allows the car to start quicker and easier. It saves your starter by having it crank a lot less.

     -Bill Brewer

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Gayton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump

Jeff Gayton

1962 Triumph TR4

---

From: Hoyt Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 10:23:40 -0400

> to the carbs. For him, the advantage of the electric pump is that it can be
> installed in the trunk, keeping the fuel cooler.
>

I'm not sure I understand how "... it can be installed in the trunk,
keeping the fuel cooler" actually works to keep the fuel cooler.

Also , for safety reasons, an electric fuel pump should be powered
through a relay that is driven by a two-terminal oil pressure sensor.
With that, a non-turning engine (especially in the event of a wreck)
won't continue to have fuel pumped to it.

-- 
Hoyt

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:35:00 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2997613015455015754==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0092_01D0D1DF.063EB730"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01D0D1DF.063EB730
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

4 to 6 pounds is too high.  it will blow out the carbs

max 4; 3.5 is better

From: Geo Hahn=20
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 8:05 PM
To: Dixie4=20
Cc: Triumphs=20
Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump

  ....The delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU and Stromberg =
carbs...

That sounds too high to me.  I have never used that much pressure so I =
can't say for sure it would overwhelm the needle valves but the carbs =
certainly do not need that much.

Geo 
------=_NextPart_000_0092_01D0D1DF.063EB730
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>4 to 6 pounds is too high.&nbsp; it will blow out the carbs</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>max 4; 3.5 is better</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Geo Hahn</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, August 7, 2015 8:05 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Dixie4</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Triumphs</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV class=3Dgmail_extra>
<DIV class=3Dgmail_quote>On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Dixie4 <SPAN=20
dir=3Dltr>&lt;<A href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=20
target=3D_blank>[email-masked]</A>&gt;</SPAN> wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dgmail_quote=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: =
rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid"><BR>....The=20
  delivery poundage should be 4 to 6 pounds for SU and Stromberg=20
carbs...<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That sounds too high to me.&nbsp; I have never used that much =
pressure so I=20
can't say for sure it would overwhelm the needle valves but the carbs =
certainly=20
do not need that much.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Geo </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01D0D1DF.063EB730--

--===============2997613015455015754==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2997613015455015754==--

---

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:31:11 -0700

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with their suggestions about an electric fuel pump. Lots to think about! And my apologies for the delay in responding. For some reason, I received the last few days worth of the digest late and out of order.