Subject: Re: [TR] Lets talk oil some more

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 09:56:58 -0400

Except when the Government mandates reduced Zinc levels and the Oil 
Companies  reformulate their product to meet the new requirements. It's not 
your fathers Triumph any more.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Frank Magnusson
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2015 9:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Lets talk oil some more

Ive been running Castrol 20W50 in my Triumphs and Healey for the last 30 
years with no issues.  Nothing wrong with going with what the factory 
recommended when these cars were built.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 17:13:32 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8888944444266305098==
	boundary="----=_Part_2044943_2083972809.1439054012413"

------=_Part_2044943_2083972809.1439054012413
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

No there isn't, if that same oil was available today, which it is not.=20
Ed2=20
----- Original Message -----

From: "Frank Magnusson" <[email-masked]>=20
To: [email-masked]=20
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:26:01 AM=20
Subject: Re: [TR] Lets talk oil some more=20

Ive been running Castrol 20W50 in my Triumphs and Healey for the last 30 ye=
ars with no issues. =C2=A0Nothing wrong with going with what the factory re=
commended when these cars were built.=20

=C2=A0=20

------=_Part_2044943_2083972809.1439054012413
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><body><div style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><DIV aria-label="Compose body"><BR></DIV>
<DIV>No there isn't, if that same oil was available today, which it is not.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>Ed2</DIV>
<HR id=zwchr>

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000; FONT-STYLE: normal" data-mce-style="color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><B>From: </B>"Frank Magnusson" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<BR><B>To: </B>[email-masked]<BR><B>Sent: </B>Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:26:01 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: [TR] Lets talk oil some more<BR>
<DIV><BR></DIV>Ive been running Castrol 20W50 in my Triumphs and Healey for the last 30 years with no issues. &nbsp;Nothing wrong with going with what the factory recommended when these cars were built.<BR>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></div></body></html>
------=_Part_2044943_2083972809.1439054012413--

--===============8888944444266305098==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8888944444266305098==--

---

From: Jack McGahey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:46:41 -0400

Nothing, except that oil no longer has the ZDDP in it that it did when the mfg recommended it.

Cheers
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 8, 2015, at 9:26 AM, Frank Magnusson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Ive been running Castrol 20W50 in my Triumphs and Healey for the last 30 years with no issues.  Nothing wrong with going with what the factory recommended when these cars were built.
> 
> 
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 21:18:36 +0100

No there isn't, if that same oil was available today, which it is not.

It's worth remembering that Mr. Castrol blends the 'same' oil in varying ways, depending on market. While it seems that Castrol 20W/50 in the US no longer has the same levels of ZDDP, this is not the case for us in Europe. Castrol Classic 20W/50 is widely available and while it has many of the features of the 'old' type of oil, it has a few more recent additions and the lack of or reduced amount of zinc isn't on the agenda. Zinc levels are the same as heretofore. I suppose we're lucky? Castrol and Duckhams still blend the original formulas of the 60's and 70's and smaller companies like Morris Oils make a whole raft of stuff (single and multigrade) for machinery going back for more than a century.

Jonmac

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 16:20:39 -0500

--===============1042309000359965563==

--001a1136f736291010051cd3540b

We can still get high ZDDP oils over here too. John.  I use straight 30W
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil in my car.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

Everyone's got a different favorite -- that's why they have horse races.
This one works for me.

Don
Saint Louis Missouri
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM, John Macartney <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> It's worth remembering that Mr. Castrol blends the 'same' oil in varying
> ways, depending on market. While it seems that Castrol 20W/50 in the US no
> longer has the same levels of ZDDP, this is not the case for us in Europe.
> Castrol Classic 20W/50 is widely available and while it has many of the
> features of the 'old' type of oil, it has a few more recent additions and
> the lack of or reduced amount of zinc isn't on the agenda. Zinc levels are
> the same as heretofore. I suppose we're lucky? Castrol and Duckhams still
> blend the original formulas of the 60's and 70's and smaller companies like
> Morris Oils make a whole raft of stuff (single and multigrade) for
> machinery going back for more than a century.
>
> Jonmac
>
>
>
>
> ---
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--001a1136f736291010051cd3540b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">We can still get high ZDDP oils over here too. John.=C2=A0=
 I use straight 30W Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil in my car. =C2=A0<div><=
a href=3D"http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf">http://content.v=
alvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>Everyone&#=
39;s got a different favorite -- that&#39;s why they have horse races.=C2=
=A0 This one works for me.</div><div><br></div><div>Don</div><div>Saint Lou=
is Missouri</div><div>1962 TR3B TSF202L</div><div><img src=3D"https://4xdog=
.smugmug.com/photos/i-6sXT8zC/0/S/i-6sXT8zC-S.jpg"><br></div></div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 3:=
18 PM, John Macartney <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:john.macartne=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">No there isn&#39;t, if that sa=
me oil was available today, which it is not.<br>
<br>
It&#39;s worth remembering that Mr. Castrol blends the &#39;same&#39; oil i=
n varying ways, depending on market. While it seems that Castrol 20W/50 in =
the US no longer has the same levels of ZDDP, this is not the case for us i=
n Europe. Castrol Classic 20W/50 is widely available and while it has many =
of the features of the &#39;old&#39; type of oil, it has a few more recent =
additions and the lack of or reduced amount of zinc isn&#39;t on the agenda=
. Zinc levels are the same as heretofore. I suppose we&#39;re lucky? Castro=
l and Duckhams still blend the original formulas of the 60&#39;s and 70&#39=
;s and smaller companies like Morris Oils make a whole raft of stuff (singl=
e and multigrade) for machinery going back for more than a century.<br>
<br>
Jonmac<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
---<br>
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.<br>
<a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_b=
lank">https://www.avast.com/antivirus</a><br>
<br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a1136f736291010051cd3540b--

--===============1042309000359965563==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1042309000359965563==--

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 17:38:46 -0400

I think the active word is "Classic" we have Brad Penn which also has the 
old levels of ZDDP.

-----Original Message----- 
From: John Macartney
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:18 PM
To: [email-masked] ; 'Frank Magnusson' ; 'triumph list'
Subject: Re: [TR] Lets talk oil some more

Morris Oils make a whole raft of stuff (single and multigrade) for machinery 
going back for more than a century.

Jonmac