Subject: Re: [TR] Rust preventative for long term storage

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 05:40:10 -0400

WD-40 is definitely not the way to go - it was designed more as a water
dispersing agent. In fact, it can cause some slight corrosion just by
itself, as I found out on some thread cutting taps. Kano, makers of Kroil,
has a good product called Weatherpruf. It is a spray-on product that creates
a waxy, long lasting coating that can be removed with any type of solvent.
Mail order only. www.KanoLabs.com 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2015 8:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Rust preventative for long term storage

What rust preventative (Preferably spray on) do you folks use.  I want to
store a pair of complete cylinder heads (conceivably for several) years and
have, in the past, not had very good luck (WD40 etc).

Smearing grease, and storing in a plastic bag??

I'm open for suggestions, besides painting the mating surface -

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web.com  What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?
http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 05:46:42 -0700

--===============7380677172363380818==

--089e011763affca43f051ccc24be
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You might consider Fluid Film.  It sprays on and leaves an oily film that
creeps and persists.

Amazon has it (used to be mostly sold thru tractor supply stores).  I've
heard that lately it is showing up in auto parts chains and the website
says Lowes carries it, so it should be easy to find.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Geo

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM, [email-masked] <[email-masked]=
t
> wrote:

> store a pair of complete cylinder heads (conceivably for several) years a=
nd
> I=E2=80=99m open for suggestions, besides painting the mating surface -
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--089e011763affca43f051ccc24be
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>You might consider Fluid Film.=C2=A0 It sprays on and=
 leaves an oily film that creeps and persists.</div><div><br></div><div>Ama=
zon has it (used to be mostly sold thru=C2=A0tractor supply stores).=C2=A0 =
I&#39;ve heard that lately it is showing up in auto parts chains and the we=
bsite says Lowes carries it, so it should be easy to find.</div><div><br></=
div><div><a href=3D"http://www.fluid-film.com/">http://www.fluid-film.com/<=
/a></div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br>=
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM, <a href=3D"mailt=
o:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">v6spitfireguy@cox.=
net</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"mar=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">What rust preve=
ntative (Preferably spray on) do you folks use.=C2=A0 I want to<br>
store a pair of complete cylinder heads (conceivably for several) years and=
<br>
have, in the past, not had very good luck (WD40 etc).<br>
<br>
Smearing grease, and storing in a plastic bag??<br>
<br>
I=E2=80=99m open for suggestions, besides painting the mating surface -<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<a href=3D"http://mail2web.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">mail2w=
eb.com</a>=C2=A0 What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?<br>
<a href=3D"http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noreferrer">http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint</a><br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--089e011763affca43f051ccc24be--

--===============7380677172363380818==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7380677172363380818==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 06:02:57 -0700

> have, in the past, not had very good luck (WD40 etc).

Best I've found so far is Blaster Corrosion Stop (from the same folks who
make PB Blaster).  Basically a combination of heavy grease and solvent, so
it sprays on thin (to penetrate) and then dries to a greasy/waxy film.
http://www.blastercorp.com/Corrosion_Stop.html

I got mine at Home Depot, but I've also seen it at Wally mart.

(But I haven't tried the Kano product.)

-- Randall

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 20:15:59 -0400

All - I knew I forgot to say something early this morning when I mentioned
Kano Lab's "Weatherpruf".  I also have used Fluid Film as a rust preventive.
It is a Lanolin (Sheep Wool) based product that some local restoration
people swear by. I bought some at a local NAPA store. One garage that I know
of sprays Fluid Film in the rocker panels and other rust prone areas of
their early 50's Ford wrecker and their mid - 60's GMC service truck. No
rust visible!

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Alex&Janet Thomson
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2015 5:40 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Rust preventative for long term storage

Alex Thomson