Subject: [TR] Distributor Pedestal

From: "Jim Vassiliadis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:32:40 +1200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7696056866776713143==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0000_01D0CE01.A4BE2BC0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01D0CE01.A4BE2BC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My distributor pedestal sits 2mm above where it bolts onto the block.
The engine has been fully recond incl new pump.
When I remove the two geared shaft that drives the dizzie and rev counter
the pedestal sits nicely on the block and there is no gap.
I've turned the engine to see if the geared shaft will drop further into the
pump but it hasn't made any difference.
Could the oil pump have been installed incorrectly?
I can't  figure out where the problem lies.
 
Jim and the slowly coming back together 1962 TR4

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01D0CE01.A4BE2BC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: =
13px Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); =
WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN=20
class=3D750402603-03082015>M</SPAN>y distributor pedestal sit<SPAN=20
class=3D750402603-03082015>s</SPAN> 2mm above where it bolts onto the=20
block.</SPAN><BR=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: 13px =
Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: =
13px Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); =
WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">The=20
engine has been fully recond incl new pump.</SPAN><BR=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: 13px =
Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: =
13px Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); =
WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">When=20
I remove the two geared shaft that drives the dizzie and rev counter =
the<SPAN=20
class=3D750402603-03082015>&nbsp;</SPAN>pedestal<SPAN =
class=3D750402603-03082015>=20
sits nicely on the block&nbsp;and there is no gap.</SPAN></SPAN><BR=20
style=3D"WIDOWS: 1; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT: 13px =
Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: =
normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN=20
class=3D750402603-03082015><FONT size=3D2 face=3DVerdana>I've turned the =
engine to see=20
if the geared shaft will drop further into the pump but it hasn't made =
any=20
difference.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750402603-03082015><FONT size=3D2 =
face=3DVerdana>Could the oil pump=20
have been installed incorrectly?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750402603-03082015><FONT size=3D2 face=3DVerdana>I =
can't&nbsp;=20
figure out where the problem lies.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750402603-03082015><FONT size=3D2=20
face=3DVerdana></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D750402603-03082015><FONT size=3D2 face=3DVerdana>Jim =
and the slowly=20
coming back together 1962 TR4</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01D0CE01.A4BE2BC0--

--===============7696056866776713143==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7696056866776713143==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 03:47:44 -0700

> My distributor pedestal sits 2mm above where it bolts onto the block.

Check the shop manual.  There is a procedure for shimming that joint, to
adjust the end play on the gear.  Many engines don't need the shims, but my
guess is that the bushing got replaced during the rebuild and now the shims
are required.  The new bushing might be a bit thicker even than original.

-- Randall