Subject: [TR] wiring or ?

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:55:14 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4647240605644422148==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008D_01D0C91B.806902D0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_008D_01D0C91B.806902D0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

57 TR3, small mouth, early disk brake car.  supposedly everything is new =
and/or rebuilt, but i'm not so sure.  car has been being worked on for a =
decade; this car was mostly put together by an incompetent mechanic, so =
keep that in mind.  i am still trying to finish the car and undo his =
crap. =20

we put the instrument panel in and wired the supposedly new set of =
gauges.  we finally got the car running, and its got about 2 miles on =
it.  the red generator stayed lit during these 2 miles.  we finally =
figured out he had supplied a positive ground generator for a negative =
ground car, flashed the generator, and the light went out.

we then discovered that the gas gauge did not work.  we pulled it, tried =
some things, discovered that the sending unit was not working, replaced =
that, but the gauge still did not work.  had the gauge rebuilt, and now =
its working.

but the generator light is back on.  we thought it might be the voltage =
regulator, but we pulled it and tested it with nothing suspicious.  plus =
i swapped in a regulator from a running car, with no change.

i'm thinking it could be the ammeter, or possibly when we were messing =
with the fuel gauge, we caused something to short or loosened a =
connection.  this car has a heater, so all that stuff is really crammed =
in there.

i've got a tr4 ammeter, which according to moss, is the same.  and i'm =
going to look at the wiring.  any ideas, thoughts, recommendations, etc =
are more than welcome.

not only is this guy a lousy mechanic, he put a bunch of philip head =
screws and bolts into a car which never had anything but slotted head.   =
 plus he had my car for several years without actually doing anything on =
it.  so by the time we discovered there were issues with the paint, it =
was too late to go back to the painter.  and i had specifically asked =
him to make sure the paint was ok when he picked it up from the painter. =
 then he said it was my fault for approving it, when i wasn't even =
there.  
------=_NextPart_000_008D_01D0C91B.806902D0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>57 TR3, small mouth, early disk brake car.&nbsp; supposedly =
everything is=20
new and/or rebuilt, but i'm not so sure.&nbsp; car has been being worked =
on for=20
a decade; this car was mostly put together by an incompetent mechanic, =
so keep=20
that in mind.&nbsp; i am still trying to finish the car and undo his =
crap.&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>we put the instrument panel in and wired the supposedly new set of=20
gauges.&nbsp; we finally got the car running, and its got about 2 miles =
on=20
it.&nbsp; the red generator stayed lit during these 2 miles.&nbsp; we =
finally=20
figured out he had supplied a positive ground generator for a negative =
ground=20
car, flashed the generator, and the light went out.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>we then discovered that the gas gauge did not work.&nbsp; we pulled =
it,=20
tried some things, discovered that the sending unit was not working, =
replaced=20
that, but the gauge still did not work.&nbsp; had the gauge rebuilt, and =
now its=20
working.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>but the generator light is back on.&nbsp; we thought it might be =
the=20
voltage regulator, but we pulled it and tested it with nothing =
suspicious.&nbsp;=20
plus i swapped in a regulator from a running car, with no change.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>i'm thinking it could be the ammeter, or possibly when we were =
messing with=20
the fuel gauge, we caused something to short or loosened a =
connection.&nbsp;=20
this car has a heater, so all that stuff is really crammed in =
there.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>i've got a tr4 ammeter, which according to moss, is the same.&nbsp; =
and i'm=20
going to look at the wiring.&nbsp; any ideas, thoughts, recommendations, =
etc are=20
more than welcome.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>not only is this guy a lousy mechanic, he put a bunch of philip =
head screws=20
and bolts into a car which never had anything but slotted=20
head.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; plus he had my car for several years without =
actually=20
doing anything on it.&nbsp; so by the time we discovered there were =
issues with=20
the paint, it was too late to go back to the painter.&nbsp; and i had=20
specifically asked him to make sure the paint was ok when he picked it =
up from=20
the painter.&nbsp; then he said it was my fault for approving it, when i =
wasn't=20
even there.&nbsp; </DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008D_01D0C91B.806902D0--

--===============4647240605644422148==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4647240605644422148==--