Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 with TR6 front suspension

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:07:11 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1673351563516365792==
	boundary="----=_Part_12629572_366460254.1438276031673"

------=_Part_12629572_366460254.1438276031673
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Switching to TR4A-TR6 suspension is a relatively simple process and is basically a bolt on upgrade. 

You can go half way by keeping the TR2-TR4 lower arms and uprights and just switch to the later TR4 3 degree trunnion to add caster and the asymmetrical upper A-arms and ball joint. TR4A through TR6 lower trunnions have a through bolt design compared to the earlier pin and castle nut arrangement, so the lower arms would need to be changed too. 

Dave H. 
----- Original Message -----

From: "Hoyt Duff" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Triumph List" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:22:59 AM 
Subject: [TR] TR2 with TR6 front suspension 

On 7/28/15, Dan Cronin <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Am putting the up-rated stub axle kit on my TR2 with TR6 front suspension / 

How does one update the front suspension in that manner? I have a very 
soild TR3 frame with a twisted RH turret. 

Since I must have that repaired, is it worthwhile to upgrade? 

-- 
Hoyt 

** [email-masked] ** 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 

------=_Part_12629572_366460254.1438276031673
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Switching to TR4A-TR6 suspension is a =
relatively simple process and is basically a bolt on upgrade.</div><div><br=
></div><div>You can go half way by keeping the TR2-TR4 lower arms and uprig=
hts and just switch to the later TR4 3 degree trunnion to add caster and th=
e asymmetrical upper A-arms and ball joint. &nbsp;TR4A through TR6 lower tr=
unnions have a through bolt design compared to the earlier pin and castle n=
ut arrangement, so the lower arms would need to be changed too.</div><div><=
br></div><div>Dave H.</div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-w=
eight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,A=
rial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;" data-mce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight=
: normal; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica=
,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Hoyt Duff" &lt;hoytduff@=
gmail.com&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"Triumph List" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<=
br><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:22:59 AM<br><b>Subject: </b>[TR] =
TR2 with TR6 front suspension<br><div><br></div>On 7/28/15, Dan Cronin &lt;=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; Am putting the up-rated stub axle kit=
 on my TR2 with TR6 front suspension /<br><div><br></div><br>How does one u=
pdate the front suspension in that manner? I have a very<br>soild TR3 frame=
 with a twisted RH turret.<br><div><br></div>Since I must have that repaire=
d, is it worthwhile to upgrade?<br><div><br></div>-- <br>Hoyt<br><div><br><=
/div>** [email-masked] **<br><div><br></div>Donate: http://www.tea=
m.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http:/=
/www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/triumphs/[email-masked]<br></div><div><br></div></div></body></=
html>
------=_Part_12629572_366460254.1438276031673--

--===============1673351563516365792==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1673351563516365792==--

---

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:28:01 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8941582595322095036==
	boundary="----=_Part_12656803_1805203785.1438277281142"

------=_Part_12656803_1805203785.1438277281142
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

One more thing...if you have a frame that's slightly bent it can be straightened, but media blast it and check closely for rust and cracks where the lower A-arms inner pivot attaches to the frame. 
The cracks are common and difficult to see. Many years with an out of balance wheel can cause cracks besides the impact that caused the bent turret. 
These frames rust from the inside out. Media blasting can reveal pin holes you will not otherwise see and the cracks. 

Dave 

----- Original Message -----

-- 
Hoyt 

------=_Part_12656803_1805203785.1438277281142
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>One more thing...if you have a frame that's slightly bent it can b=
e straightened, but media blast it and check closely for rust and cracks wh=
ere the lower A-arms inner pivot attaches to the frame. &nbsp;<br></div><di=
v>The cracks are common and difficult to see. &nbsp;Many years with an out =
of balance wheel can cause cracks besides the impact that caused the bent t=
urret.</div><div>These frames rust from the inside out. &nbsp;Media blastin=
g can reveal pin holes you will not otherwise see and the cracks. &nbsp;</d=
iv><div><br></div><div>Dave</div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=
=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;fo=
nt-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Hoyt Du=
ff" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"Triumph List" &lt;triumphs@au=
tox.team.net&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:22:59 AM<br><b>S=
ubject: </b>[TR] TR2 with TR6 front suspension<br><div><br></div>On 7/28/15=
, Dan Cronin &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; Am putting the up-ra=
ted stub axle kit on my TR2 with TR6 front suspension /<br><div><br></div><=
br>How does one update the front suspension in that manner? I have a very<b=
r>soild TR3 frame with a twisted RH turret.<br><div><br></div>Since I must =
have that repaired, is it worthwhile to upgrade?<br><div><br></div>-- <br>H=
oyt<br><div><br></div>** [email-masked] **<br><div><br></div>Donat=
e: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<=
br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<br></div><div><br></di=
v></div></body></html>
------=_Part_12656803_1805203785.1438277281142--

--===============8941582595322095036==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8941582595322095036==--

---

From: Hoyt Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:37:17 -0400

On 7/30/15, davehogye <[email-masked]> wrote:
> One more thing...if you have a frame that's slightly bent it can be
> straightened, but media blast it and check closely for rust and cracks where
> the lower A-arms inner pivot attaches to the frame.
> The cracks are common and difficult to see. Many years with an out of
> balance wheel can cause cracks besides the impact that caused the bent
> turret.
> These frames rust from the inside out. Media blasting can reveal pin holes
> you will not otherwise see and the cracks.
>
> Dave
> The frame has been media blasted and checked. It's solid. The only problem is the twisted turret (and bent lower fulcrum pin). A local shop has the experience to repair this correctly. All of the damaged suspension parts had been replaced and are awaiting installation.

Is the performance gain worth the $$ and effort to upgrade for a
non-raced car? I'm suspecting the answer is "no" . . .

-- 
Hoyt