Subject: Re: [TR] Brake drum grabbing

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 07:10:24 -0700

--===============1956373812271411568==

--20cf302ef3ca326f8c051a5db3f1

Joe -

First suspect that I think of when a rear brake locks up is a bad wheel
cylinder.

A test would be if the brake releases immediately when you crack open the
bleeder.

Fortunately, if that is the cause the fix is cheap & easy.

Geo

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Joe Burlein <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It has been one of those summers for the TR6. Almost to the point of
> wanting to drive her into the river and leave her there!
>
> Today's problem is a left rear drum that is locking up under braking. I
> went to push the 72 out of the garage (after releasing the e-brake) and
> found the brakes locked up on the left rear side. We got her to finally
> move by rocking her back and forth. Everything seemed to be fine until I
> stopped quickly on a drive. That side locked up. Under slow normal braking
> it is fine. Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe B
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--20cf302ef3ca326f8c051a5db3f1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Joe -</div><div><br></div><div>First suspect that I t=
hink of when a rear brake locks up is a bad wheel cylinder.</div><div><br><=
/div><div>A test would be if the brake releases immediately when you crack =
open the bleeder.</div><div><br></div><div>Fortunately, if that is the caus=
e the fix is cheap &amp; easy.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div></div><div=
 class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 a=
t 6:55 AM, Joe Burlein <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:floridatr6@c=
fl.rr.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br=
><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">It has been one of those summers for the TR=
6. Almost to the point of wanting to drive her into the river and leave her=
 there!<br>
<br>
Today&#39;s problem is a left rear drum that is locking up under braking. I=
 went to push the 72 out of the garage (after releasing the e-brake) and fo=
und the brakes locked up on the left rear side. We got her to finally move =
by rocking her back and forth. Everything seemed to be fine until I stopped=
 quickly on a drive. That side locked up. Under slow normal braking it is f=
ine. Suggestions?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Joe B<br>
<br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--20cf302ef3ca326f8c051a5db3f1--

--===============1956373812271411568==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1956373812271411568==--

---

From: Joe Burlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:28:49 -0400

--===============4461312551019914266==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-61A055A9-B9CE-4D0B-ABBC-A61A0DEB770D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-61A055A9-B9CE-4D0B-ABBC-A61A0DEB770D
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks Geo.=20

"A test would be if the brake releases immediately when you crack open the b=
leeder."

Do you mean releases fully?  It is released enough to not drag when driving.=
=20

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 10:10, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Joe -
>=20
> First suspect that I think of when a rear brake locks up is a bad wheel cy=
linder.
>=20
> A test would be if the brake releases immediately when you crack open the b=
leeder.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Joe Burlein <[email-masked]> wrote=
:
>> It has been one of those summers for the TR6. Almost to the point of want=
ing to drive her into the river and leave her there!
>>=20
>> Today's problem is a left rear drum that is locking up under braking. I w=
ent to push the 72 out of the garage (after releasing the e-brake) and found=
 the brakes locked up on the left rear side. We got her to finally move by r=
ocking her back and forth. Everything seemed to be fine until I stopped quic=
kly on a drive. That side locked up. Under slow normal braking it is fine. S=
uggestions?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ahwahn=
[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail-61A055A9-B9CE-4D0B-ABBC-A61A0DEB770D
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto"><div>Thanks Geo.&nbsp;</div><div><br>"<span=
 style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">A test would be if the b=
rake releases immediately when you crack open the bleeder."</span></div><div=
><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"><br></span></div>=
<div><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Do you mean r=
eleases fully? &nbsp;It is released enough to not drag when driving.&nbsp;</=
span></div><div><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"><b=
r></span></div><div><br>On Jul 8, 2015, at 10:10, Geo Hahn &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div>=
<blockquote type=3D"cite"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Joe -</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>First suspect that I think of when a rear brake locks up is a bad wh=
eel cylinder.</div><div><br></div><div>A test would be if the brake releases=
 immediately when you crack open the bleeder.</div><div><br></div><div>Fortu=
nately, if that is the cause the fix is cheap &amp; easy.</div><div><br></di=
v><div>Geo</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quo=
te">On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Joe Burlein <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">It has been one of thos=
e summers for the TR6. Almost to the point of wanting to drive her into the r=
iver and leave her there!<br>
<br>
Today's problem is a left rear drum that is locking up under braking. I went=
 to push the 72 out of the garage (after releasing the e-brake) and found th=
e brakes locked up on the left rear side. We got her to finally move by rock=
ing her back and forth. Everything seemed to be fine until I stopped quickly=
 on a drive. That side locked up. Under slow normal braking it is fine. Sugg=
estions?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Joe B<br>
<br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **=
<br>
<br>
"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"no=
referrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>
</div></blockquote></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-61A055A9-B9CE-4D0B-ABBC-A61A0DEB770D--

--===============4461312551019914266==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4461312551019914266==--

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 12:28:18 -0400

--===============6066236264880184526==
	boundary="----=_Part_337468_2144023937.1436372898761"

------=_Part_337468_2144023937.1436372898761
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 When my TR3 did this it was caused by a wheel cylinder leak that soaked the brake shoes with brake fluid.  I had to replace the cylinder and the shoes (which was fun since they are 10 inch brakes and NLA) and all has been well since.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Burlein <[email-masked]>
To: list Triumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 8, 2015 10:16 am
Subject: [TR] Brake drum grabbing

It has been one of those summers for the TR6. Almost to the point of wanting to
drive her into the river and leave her there!  

Today's problem is a left
rear drum that is locking up under braking. I went to push the 72 out of the
garage (after releasing the e-brake) and found the brakes locked up on the left
rear side. We got her to finally move by rocking her back and forth. Everything
seemed to be fine until I stopped quickly on a drive. That side locked up. Under
slow normal braking it is fine. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_Part_337468_2144023937.1436372898761
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>

<div> <font size="4">When my TR3 did this it was caused by a wheel cylinder leak that soaked the brake shoes with brake fluid.&nbsp; I had to replace the cylinder and the shoes (which was fun since they are 10 inch brakes and NLA) and all has been well since.</font><br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Joe Burlein &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: list Triumph &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Wed, Jul 8, 2015 10:16 am<br>

Subject: [TR] Brake drum grabbing<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1_ac371f45-d8c4-489e-a1d2-6b9e5488cc68" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>It has been one of those summers for the TR6. Almost to the point of wanting to
drive her into the river and leave her there!  

Today's problem is a left
rear drum that is locking up under braking. I went to push the 72 out of the
garage (after releasing the e-brake) and found the brakes locked up on the left
rear side. We got her to finally move by rocking her back and forth. Everything
seemed to be fine until I stopped quickly on a drive. That side locked up. Under
slow normal braking it is fine. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe B

**
<a removedlink__b52401ec-d7db-4d8a-b746-87ded77faf9f__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive:
<a removedlink__b52401ec-d7db-4d8a-b746-87ded77faf9f__href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums:
<a removedlink__b52401ec-d7db-4d8a-b746-87ded77faf9f__href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
<a removedlink__b52401ec-d7db-4d8a-b746-87ded77faf9f__href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
</tt></pre>
</div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_ac371f45-d8c4-489e-a1d2-6b9e5488cc68 -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_337468_2144023937.1436372898761--

--===============6066236264880184526==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6066236264880184526==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 13:00:00 -0400

> First suspect that I think of when a rear brake locks up is a bad wheel

I always suspect the flexible hose first, especially if it releases
itself over a day or so.  Easy to check - with the wheel locked, open
the bleed screw and see if it frees up.

Easy, and relatively inexpensive, to replace all the brake parts once
you're in there anyway.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.