Subject: [TR] Air Conditioning

From: "Dave Hammond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:38:58 -0700

Anyone with a TR3 or 4, prefer a 4 , live near Dallas, Texas that would be
willing to let Retro air take some measurements to fabricate a mount for an
A/C compressor?
David in Oregon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:11:46 -0400

Dave and others,

I'm working on this for a Surrey Top 4A and live in Ohio so no help with 
Retro Air. But I'd appreciate being involved and will contribute as well. My 
current thought is mounting a Compressor with a 2 groove thin belt pulley 
where the current Generator mounts and then mount a mini alternator above 
the compressor driven by the second groove in the compressor pulley. I am 
using an OMEGA PN 20-42083-HP which has a 2 groove pulley and measures 7" 
overall from the face of the clutch to the back of the compressor. Suction 
and discharge ports face up and can rotate to about 45 degrees towards the 
wheel well. ( I sell AC Parts ) The issue in my mind is that there is not a 
lot of available space to mount the Compressor and getting a single drive 
belt to turn everything with sufficient pulley contact to prevent slippage. 
That is what led me to a 2 groove compressor pulley.

I think developing a mount for a mini alternator will be much easier.

Cooling the engine at idle or in traffic will be a challenge too especially 
with a condenser dropping heat and blocking air flow in front of a marginal 
radiator. My radiator is newly cored and I use a Richard Good SS shroud 
(which is an excellent part) with a puller fan and still in traffic I get 
hot. At speed I usually run at around 170 and oil temps at 20 degrees 
higher.

So as you can see I have put some thought into this but I'm open to a better 
idea or a build on my ideas.

Keep me in the loop please.

Jerry Van Vlack

-----Original Message----- 
From: Dave Hammond
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Air Conditioning

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]