Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 no start - update

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 20:16:30 -0400

P.S.  Pinching off the fuel line was inconclusive.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> I had the same trouble several years ago on my TR 7. It was flooding. turns
>> out someone had installed gros jets.  Got rid of them and have had no
>> trouble since. Use a standard float valve, set the floats and you should be
>> good to go. Hope that solves it.
>
>
> I was wondering when someone would mention Grose jets... The car came
> with them, and other than cleaning them, they haven't given any hint
> of trouble in the last 8 or 9 years.  I checked them, and they shut
> off pressure when I blow through the fuel supply line.
>
> However, the problem I have is clearly fuel related, and likely too
> much of it.  I thoroughly checked the ignition system, and everything
> is spot on - all plugs sparking, etc. I did beadblast the plugs just
> for fun, but no improvement.  Compression is 130 all the way across -
> virtually no variation. When I pulled the plugs, some appeared
> slightly wet - but not all three plugs on either carb.  But it's an
> LBC, so who knows?
>
> I had carb rebuild kits on hand, and a heat shield, for a future
> maintenance project.  So, I guess I'm going to do the job a bit
> earlier than I planned.  We'll see what happens...
>
> And I haven't made up my mind about the jets yet.
>
> Jeff Scarbrough
> Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:05:50 -0400

Jeff,

Did you try a new set of plugs? Last year, I had a sudden miss on my 72 
6 and I tried everything from points, to condenser, cap, rotor, wires 
and coil with no resolve. For some reason, I replaced the plugs with the 
originals that came with the engine and the miss went away. The original 
miss-fire was intermittent.

So I bead blasted the plugs that were in the engine when the miss 
started and refit. Same miss! So those plugs went in the trash and I put 
in a new set and haven't had any problem since. I then leaned up the 
mixture (Hitachi HS6), then checked the plugs after about 100 miles. 
Very clean.

I am convinced that it was not a rich mixture, but a defective plug or 2.

If I ever have a similar miss-fire, the plugs will be the first to test out.

Bob

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:51:05 -0400

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Bob Labuz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Did you try a new set of plugs?

I did visually verify that all 6 made sparks.  Not the best spark I've
ever seen, but should have been enough.

The car went from running fine to absolutely nothing in about 90
seconds.  I know that's long enough for all six to fail, but unlikely.
Assuming I can get the carbs reassembled, we will see if it is fixed.
<G>

Cheers,
Jeff