Subject: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 21:48:51 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4720762800744708944==
	boundary="----=_Part_1315780_1238160800.1435873731197"

------=_Part_1315780_1238160800.1435873731197
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

have not messed with these in a long time.=C2=A0the purpose of the voltage =
regulator is to stop the ups and downs of the voltage caused by alternator =
as engine revs?=C2=A0what then is usual output? ie 13/14 volts in----? volt=
s out.any one have a list of what smiths gauges require a voltage stabilize=
r and those that don't. have not been to see the car yet, but id like to be=
 prepared.
thanksFrank

------=_Part_1315780_1238160800.1435873731197
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; font-family:He=
lveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;fo=
nt-size:16px"><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853" dir=3D"ltr">have =
not messed with these in a long time.</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_14358728=
65531_2853" dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;the purpose of the voltage regulator is to st=
op the ups and downs of the voltage caused by alternator as engine revs?&nb=
sp;</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853" dir=3D"ltr">what then =
is usual output? ie 13/14 volts in----? volts out.</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16=
_0_1_1435872865531_2853" dir=3D"ltr">any one have a list of what smiths gau=
ges require a voltage stabilizer and those that don't. have not been to see=
 the car yet, but id like to be prepared.</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435=
872865531_2853" dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531=
_2853" dir=3D"ltr">thanks</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853" =
dir=3D"ltr">Frank</div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853" dir=3D"l=
tr"><br></div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853" dir=3D"ltr"><br><=
/div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_1315780_1238160800.1435873731197--

--===============4720762800744708944==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4720762800744708944==--

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 18:23:36 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2173722119503238199==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D0B4F4.35C865D0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D0B4F4.35C865D0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Frank,
I think you want about 10 volts out of the voltage stabilizer for the =
fuel and temp gauge.
Someone makes a solid state version but I can't speak to it's =
reliability.
Dave Connitt
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Frank Fisher=20
  To: Triumphs List=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 5:48 PM
  Subject: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators

  have not messed with these in a long time.
   the purpose of the voltage regulator is to stop the ups and downs of =
the voltage caused by alternator as engine revs?=20
  what then is usual output? ie 13/14 volts in----? volts out.
  any one have a list of what smiths gauges require a voltage stabilizer =
and those that don't. have not been to see the car yet, but id like to =
be prepared.

  thanks
  Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----

  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D0B4F4.35C865D0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16659">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hi Frank,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I think you want about 10 volts out of the =
voltage=20
stabilizer for the fuel and temp gauge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Someone makes a solid state version but I can't =
speak to=20
it's reliability.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dave Connitt</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked] =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Frank=20
  Fisher</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Triumphs List</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 02, 2015 =
5:48=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [TR] gas gauge and =
voltage=20
  regulators</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; FONT-FAMILY: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; COLOR: #000; =
FONT-SIZE: 16px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>have not messed =
with these in=20
  a long time.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>&nbsp;the purpose =
of the=20
  voltage regulator is to stop the ups and downs of the voltage caused =
by=20
  alternator as engine revs?&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>what then is usual =
output? ie=20
  13/14 volts in----? volts out.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>any one have a =
list of what=20
  smiths gauges require a voltage stabilizer and those that don't. have =
not been=20
  to see the car yet, but id like to be prepared.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853><BR></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>thanks</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853>Frank</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853><BR></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr id=3Dyui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853><BR></DIV></DIV>
  <P>
  <HR>

  <P></P><BR>** [email-masked] **<BR><BR>Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Archive:=20
  http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
  =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<BR></BLO=
CKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01D0B4F4.35C865D0--

--===============2173722119503238199==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2173722119503238199==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:25:55 -0700

>  the purpose of the voltage regulator is to stop the ups and 
> downs of the voltage caused by alternator as engine revs? 

Yes.  At idle, the stock Lucas alternator (or generator on the TR4/4A) puts out almost nothing, so the battery voltage can droop
quite a bit under heavy load (eg headlights on).  The gauges used on TR4-6 work on heat, and so are very sensitive to changes in
voltage (power and therefore heat is related to the square of the voltage).

> what then is usual output? ie 13/14 volts in----? volts out.

The stock "voltage stabilizer" doesn't actually change the voltage.  Instead, it interrupts the voltage output part of the time,
such that the average is 10 volts.  The technique is commonly known as Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and is still quite common today.
But, modern devices use solid state switches (transistors) that can switch very quickly.  Transistors back then were expensive and
fragile, so Smiths (or whoever owned them by then) used a simple mechanical switch that only operated a few times per second.
Pretty ingenious really, but like so many other things on our cars, strange and poorly understood today.

Since the gauges are so slow to respond, they don't follow the constant up and down from the VS, but any voltmeter or DMM will.  So,
it's more or less impossible to check the original VS accuracy with a voltmeter or DMM.  Smiths' suggestion was to hook up a "known
good" gauge along with a dash light bulb in series to a regulated 10v source, note the resulting reading, then hook it up to the VS
to be tested and compare the reading (after waiting for it to settle each time).

But in my limited experience, the usual VS failure modes are either that the heater burns out (meaning it supplies input voltage all
the time), or the contacts go bad.  You can check the contact resistance with an ohmmeter.  Or just pull the wire off the
temperature sender and connect it to a test lamp (with the other side of the lamp grounded).  If you can see the light blink on and
off, the VS is working, and probably reasonably accurate.  Unless you are chasing a fairly subtle error in gauge reading, the
problem is not the VS.

> any one have a list of what smiths gauges require a voltage 
> stabilizer and those that don't. have not been to see the car 
> yet, but id like to be prepared.

Sorry.  I had a partial list, but can't seem to find it at the moment.  But all of the fuel and temperature gauges originally used
on TR4-TR6 (as well as Stag, 2000 and so on) require a VS.  

-- Randall

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:20:18 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4457596939597937425==
	boundary="----=_Part_1317242_1856958991.1435879218773"

------=_Part_1317242_1856958991.1435879218773
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

thanks Dave
      From: Dave Connitt <[email-masked]>
 To: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>; Triumphs List <[email-masked]=
.net>=20
 Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:23 PM
 Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators
  =20
Hi Frank,I think you want about 10 volts out of the voltage stabilizer for =
the fuel and temp gauge.Someone makes a solid state version but I can't spe=
ak to it's reliability.Dave Connitt
=20

----- Original Message -----  From: Frank Fisher  To: Triumphs List  Sent: =
Thursday, July 02, 2015 5:48 PM Subject: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulat=
ors=20
  have not messed with these in a long time. =C2=A0the purpose of the volta=
ge regulator is to stop the ups and downs of the voltage caused by alternat=
or as engine revs?=C2=A0 what then is usual output? ie 13/14 volts in----? =
volts out. any one have a list of what smiths gauges require a voltage stab=
ilizer and those that don't. have not been to see the car yet, but id like =
to be prepared.=20
 thanks Frank=20
=20
  =20
** [email-masked] **

@fuse.net

------=_Part_1317242_1856958991.1435879218773
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; font-family:He=
lveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;fo=
nt-size:16px"><div><span>thanks Dave</span></div><br>  <div style=3D"font-f=
amily: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans=
-serif; font-size: 16px;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2664"> <div styl=
e=3D"font-family: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida G=
rande, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2663"=
> <div dir=3D"ltr"> <hr size=3D"1">  <font size=3D"2" face=3D"Arial"> <b><s=
pan style=3D"font-weight:bold;">From:</span></b> Dave Connitt &lt;dconnitt@=
fuse.net&gt;<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">To:</span></b> Frank=
 Fisher &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; Triumphs List &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt; <br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">Sent:</span></b> Thursda=
y, July 2, 2015 3:23 PM<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">Subject:<=
/span></b> Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators<br> </font> </div> <di=
v class=3D"y_msg_container" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2662"><br><div=
 id=3D"yiv6118685455"><style></style><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_=
2661">
<div><font face=3D"Arial">Hi Frank,</font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial">I think you want about 10 volts out of the voltag=
e=20
stabilizer for the fuel and temp gauge.</font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial">Someone makes a solid state version but I can't s=
peak to=20
it's reliability.</font></div>
<div><font face=3D"Arial">Dave Connitt</font></div>
<blockquote style=3D"BORDER-LEFT:#000000 2px solid;PADDING-LEFT:5px;PADDING=
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145=
015_2691">
  <div class=3D"qtdSeparateBR"><br><br></div><div class=3D"yiv6118685455yqt=
3829592282" id=3D"yiv6118685455yqt12945"><div style=3D"FONT:10pt arial;" id=
=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2690">----- Original Message ----- </div>
  <div style=3D"FONT:10pt arial;BACKGROUND:#e4e4e4;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_143=
5879145015_2692"><b>From:</b>=20
  <a rel=3D"nofollow" shape=3D"rect" title=3D"[email-masked]" ymailto=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:yellowtr3@=
yahoo.com">Frank=20
  Fisher</a> </div>
  <div style=3D"FONT:10pt arial;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2693"><b=
>To:</b> <a rel=3D"nofollow" shape=3D"rect" title=3D"[email-masked]=
t" ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mai=
lto:[email-masked]">Triumphs List</a> </div>
  <div style=3D"FONT:10pt arial;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2694"><b=
>Sent:</b> Thursday, July 02, 2015 5:48=20
  PM</div>
  <div style=3D"FONT:10pt arial;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2695"><b=
>Subject:</b> [TR] gas gauge and voltage=20
  regulators</div>
  <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2696"><br clear=3D"none"></div>
  <div style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:#fff;FONT-FAMILY:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;COLOR:#000;FONT-SIZE:16px=
;" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_1_1435879145015_2697">
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">have=
 not messed with these in=20
  a long time.</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">&nbs=
p;the purpose of the=20
  voltage regulator is to stop the ups and downs of the voltage caused by=
=20
  alternator as engine revs?&nbsp;</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">what=
 then is usual output? ie=20
  13/14 volts in----? volts out.</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">any =
one have a list of what=20
  smiths gauges require a voltage stabilizer and those that don't. have not=
 been=20
  to see the car yet, but id like to be prepared.</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853"><br =
clear=3D"none"></div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">than=
ks</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853">Fran=
k</div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853"><br =
clear=3D"none"></div>
  <div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yiv6118685455yui_3_16_0_1_1435872865531_2853"><br =
clear=3D"none"></div></div></div>
  <div>
  </div><hr>

  <div></div><br clear=3D"none">** [email-masked] **<br clear=3D"n=
one"><br clear=3D"none">Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<br clear=3D"none">Archive:=20
  http://www.team.net/archive<br clear=3D"none">Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<br clear=3D"none">Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<br clear=
=3D"none"></blockquote></div></div><br><br></div> </div> </div>  </div></bo=
dy></html>
------=_Part_1317242_1856958991.1435879218773--

--===============4457596939597937425==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4457596939597937425==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 20:54:43 -0700

> Electronics is polarity sensitive although an electronic 
> stabilizer (regulator) can be designed to work with wither 
> polarity by including a full wave bridge and retuning the 
> circuit to compensate,

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something.  Seems to me that a full wave bridge wouldn't do, because the senders have to return to chassis
ground.  The only way I can see to implement this would be basically two complete regulator circuits with steering diodes so only
one is functional.  

Lots easier to just use a circuit that matches the car polarity, which is what the vendors do.  Eg Moss sells 131-555 for negative
ground, and 131-556 for positive.

It's also pretty easy to build one for yourself.  I used the can from an old stabilizer (with bad contacts) similar to what's shown
here
<http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html>
But there's no reason you have to use the can, it's just a convenient package (with terminals).

If you want positive ground instead of negative, use a 7910 instead of the 7810, and switch the polarity of the capacitors.

-- Randall

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:54:00 -0400

--===============8941568130686541884==
	boundary="----=_Part_259579_771541508.1435928040857"

------=_Part_259579_771541508.1435928040857
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

That sounds like a challenge.  Stand by.  ;-)

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2015 7:12 am
Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators

> stabilizer
(regulator) can be designed to work with wither 
> polarity by including a full
wave bridge and retuning the 

Hmm, maybe I'm
missing something.  Seems to me that a full wave bridge wouldn't do, because the
senders have to return to chassis
ground.  The only way I can see to implement
this would be basically two complete regulator circuits with steering diodes so
only
one is functional.  

Lots easier to just use a circuit that matches the
car polarity, which is what the vendors do.  Eg Moss sells 131-555 for
negative
ground, and 131-556 for positive.

It's also pretty easy to build
one for yourself.  I used the can from an old stabilizer (with bad contacts)
similar to what's
shown
here
<http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html>
But
there's no reason you have to use the can, it's just a convenient package (with
terminals).

If you want positive ground instead of negative, use a 7910
instead of the 7810, and switch the polarity of the capacitors.

-- Randall 

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_Part_259579_771541508.1435928040857
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'><font size="4">That sounds like a challenge.&nbsp; Stand by.&nbsp; ;-)</font>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Randall &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2015 7:12 am<br>

Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1_89c59062-16c6-41da-8592-fbaa0614b426" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>&gt; Electronics is polarity sensitive although an electronic 
&gt; stabilizer
(regulator) can be designed to work with wither 
&gt; polarity by including a full
wave bridge and retuning the 
&gt; circuit to compensate,

Hmm, maybe I'm
missing something.  Seems to me that a full wave bridge wouldn't do, because the
senders have to return to chassis
ground.  The only way I can see to implement
this would be basically two complete regulator circuits with steering diodes so
only
one is functional.  

Lots easier to just use a circuit that matches the
car polarity, which is what the vendors do.  Eg Moss sells 131-555 for
negative
ground, and 131-556 for positive.

It's also pretty easy to build
one for yourself.  I used the can from an old stabilizer (with bad contacts)
similar to what's
shown
here
&lt;<a href="http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html" target="_blank">http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html</a>&gt;
But
there's no reason you have to use the can, it's just a convenient package (with
terminals).

If you want positive ground instead of negative, use a 7910
instead of the 7810, and switch the polarity of the capacitors.

-- Randall 

** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums:
<a href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
</tt></pre>
</div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_89c59062-16c6-41da-8592-fbaa0614b426 -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_259579_771541508.1435928040857--

--===============8941568130686541884==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8941568130686541884==--

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 09:57:45 -0400

------=_Part_264402_614193229.1435931865886
	boundary="----=_Part_264401_1856069593.1435931865886"

------=_Part_264401_1856069593.1435931865886
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Here you go.  This will work with either polarity equally well (or poorly but then how accurate are the instruments anyway).  It is more involved that the simple LM7810 (or LM7910) circuit but it will allow polarity switching, needs no reverse polarity protection and reduces inventory by one part.

Let me know if the attachment doesn't come through.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
To: TR3driver <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2015 7:54 am
Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators

   

   Dave Massey   

   

-----Original Message-----   
 From: Randall <[email-masked]>   
 To: triumphs <[email-masked]>   
 Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2015 7:12 am   
 Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators   

Hmm, maybe I'm

-- Randall 

Donate:

------=_Part_264401_1856069593.1435931865886
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<font size="4">Here you go.&nbsp; This will work with either polarity equally well (or poorly but then how accurate are the instruments anyway).&nbsp; It is more involved that the simple LM7810 (or LM7910) circuit but it will allow polarity switching, needs no reverse polarity protection and reduces inventory by one part.<br>
<br>
Let me know if the attachment doesn't come through.<br>
</font>

<div> <br>

</div>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

From: Dave &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: TR3driver &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Fri, Jul 3, 2015 7:54 am<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_ab0ca64f-c326-46ef-93e1-728b93b19622">

 <font color="black" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"><font size="4">That sounds like a challenge.&nbsp; Stand by.&nbsp; ;-)</font> 

<div> 
   <br>

  </div>

<div> 
   <br>

  </div>

<div style="clear:both">
   <font size="4">Dave Massey</font>
   <br>

   <br>

  </div>

<div> 
   <br>

  </div>

<div> 
   <br>

  </div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">
-----Original Message-----
   <br>

 From: Randall &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
   <br>

 To: triumphs &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
   <br>

   <br>

Hmm, maybe I'm

It's also pretty easy to build
one for yourself.  I used the can from an old stabilizer (with bad contacts)
similar to what's
shown
here
&lt;<a target="_blank" href="http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html">http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/voltageStabilizer/voltageStabilizer.html</a>&gt;
But
there's no reason you have to use the can, it's just a convenient package (with
terminals).

-- Randall 

** <a target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Donate:
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums:
<a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
<a target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
</tt></pre> 
   </div>

  </div>

 </font>

</div>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_264401_1856069593.1435931865886--

------=_Part_264402_614193229.1435931865886
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=BipolarVoltgeStabilizer.pdf

------=_Part_264402_614193229.1435931865886
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------=_Part_264402_614193229.1435931865886--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:22:40 -0700

> Here you go.  This will work with either polarity equally 
> well (or poorly but then how accurate are the instruments 
> anyway). 

Very clever.  But I would still call that two separate regulators (ZR1 and ZR2), you've just added a voltage follower to the output.
:)

No over-current protection either.

-- Randall

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 12:31:03 -0400

--===============1927915539180735790==
	boundary="----=_Part_272971_1399103800.1436113863304"

------=_Part_272971_1399103800.1436113863304
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Polyfuses are cheap.  As I said, not as simple as a single polarity regulator but it can be done.  I just had a thought of how to do it with only one zener and using the spare opamp gate as a conditional inverter but that adds still more complication.  The rest is left to the student - as my textbooks used to say.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Jul 4, 2015 3:03 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] gas gauge and voltage regulators

> well (or poorly
but then how accurate are the instruments 
> anyway). 

Very clever.  But I
would still call that two separate regulators (ZR1 and ZR2), you've just added a
voltage follower to the output.
:)

--
Randall  

Donate:

------=_Part_272971_1399103800.1436113863304
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'><font size="4">Polyfuses are cheap.&nbsp; As I said, not as simple as a single polarity regulator but it can be done.&nbsp; I just had a thought of how to do it with only one zener and using the spare opamp gate as a conditional inverter but that adds still more complication.&nbsp; The rest is left to the student - as my textbooks used to say.</font>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

Sent: Sat, Jul 4, 2015 3:03 pm<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1_b8869a15-666b-4b10-ab53-71774377e6d7" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>&gt; Here you go.  This will work with either polarity equally 
&gt; well (or poorly
but then how accurate are the instruments 
&gt; anyway). 

Very clever.  But I
would still call that two separate regulators (ZR1 and ZR2), you've just added a
voltage follower to the output.
:)

--
Randall  

Donate:

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_b8869a15-666b-4b10-ab53-71774377e6d7 -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_272971_1399103800.1436113863304--

--===============1927915539180735790==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1927915539180735790==--