Subject: [TR] New TR2-4 manual available in PDF

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 00:04:06 -0700

Thanks to Dr. Scott Hall for sharing his hard work with us.  I've just cleaned things up a bit, added back a few missing pages and
so on.  Should be text searchable.

Sorry the file size is so large, not sure what happened.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2H2NJt34OffM2xJeDVPbkRMSWs/view?usp=sharing

As always, if you find a problem, let me know.  I think I found all the pages with the scale messed up, but I might have missed a
few.

-- Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:26:01 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1498134316363908640==
	boundary="----=_Part_4114864_43890173.1435609561724"

------=_Part_4114864_43890173.1435609561724
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Holy COW! 133meg file size? My computer is still downloading it. I suppose that size means each page is a scan, not optical character recognition? It may be able to be reduced in size by using PNG file types for each page's image instead of JPG. And each page should be 1 bit per pixel black and white, not grayscale. That will reduce the file size by a factor of 8 compared to grayscale 

-Tony 

Message: 1 
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 00:04:06 -0700 
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]> 
To: "'TR owners List'" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [TR] New TR2-4 manual available in PDF 

-- Randall 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 

Triumphs mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs 

------------------------------ 

End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 8, Issue 167 
**************************************** 

------=_Part_4114864_43890173.1435609561724
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Holy COW!&nbsp; 133meg file size?&nbsp=
; My computer is still downloading it. &nbsp; I suppose that size means eac=
h page is a scan, not optical character recognition?&nbsp; It may be able t=
o be reduced in size by using PNG file types for each page's image instead =
of JPG.&nbsp; And each page should be 1 bit per pixel black and white, not =
grayscale.&nbsp; That will reduce the file size by a factor of 8 compared t=
o grayscale</div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body"><br></div><div aria-label=
=3D"Compose body">-Tony</div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body"><br></div><di=
v aria-label=3D"Compose body"><br></div><div data-mce-style=3D"color: #000;=
 font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-famil=
y: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">Message: 1<br>Date: Mon, 2=
9 Jun 2015 00:04:06 -0700<br>From: "Randall" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br=
>To: "'TR owners List'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [TR] Ne=
w TR2-4 manual available in PDF<br>Message-ID: &lt;0F.07.15632.6EDE0955@cdp=
tpa-oedge03&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;charset=3D"us-ascii"<br><div><br></div>Thanks to Dr. Scott=
 Hall for sharing his hard work with us. &nbsp;I've just cleaned things up =
a bit, added back a few missing pages and<br>so on. &nbsp;Should be text se=
archable.<br><div><br></div>Sorry the file size is so large, not sure what =
happened.<br><div><br></div>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2H2NJt34OffM2=
xJeDVPbkRMSWs/view?usp=3Dsharing<br><div><br></div>As always, if you find a=
 problem, let me know. &nbsp;I think I found all the pages with the scale m=
essed up, but I might have missed a<br>few.<br><div><br></div>-- Randall <b=
r><div><br></div><br><div><br></div>------------------------------<br><div>=
<br></div>Subject: Digest Footer<br><div><br></div>________________________=
_______________________<br><div><br></div>Triumphs mailing list<br>Triumphs=
@autox.team.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs<br><div>=
<br></div><br>------------------------------<br><div><br></div>End of Trium=
phs Digest, Vol 8, Issue 167<br>****************************************<br=
></div><div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_4114864_43890173.1435609561724--

--===============1498134316363908640==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1498134316363908640==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:11:37 -0700

> Holy COW!  133meg file size?  My computer is still 
> downloading it.   I suppose that size means each page is a 
> scan, not optical character recognition?  It may be able to 
> be reduced in size by using PNG file types for each page's 
> image instead of JPG.  And each page should be 1 bit per 
> pixel black and white, not grayscale.  That will reduce the 
> file size by a factor of 8 compared to grayscale

Feel free to reprocess it as you see fit, and repost.

Just for grins, I tried converting all the scans to PNG and making another PDF with them.  It was 157mb, even without OCR.

Converting to characters (OCR), with images only for the drawings and photos, is a very real possibility and will greatly reduce the
size.  I've done that with other documents.  But it is a LOT of work, especially if you try to keep the formatting something
reasonable (tables, titles, headings and bold type all tend to get lost) and then proofreading is a pain as well.   I've already
spent far more time on this than it is worth to me, especially since I'm giving away the result for free and hard drive prices are
down to somewhere around 4 _cents_ per gigabyte.

There's an old saying about a horse, but I think you know it <g>

-- Randall

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:43:18 -0600

On 6/29/2015 3:11 PM, Randall wrote:
> Converting to characters (OCR), with images only for the drawings and photos, is a very real possibility and will greatly reduce the size.  I've done that with other documents.  But it is a LOT of work, especially if you try to keep the formatting something reasonable (tables, titles, headings and bold type all tend to get lost) and then proofreading is a pain as well.   I've already spent far more time on this than it is worth to me, especially since I'm giving away the result for free and hard drive prices are down to somewhere around 4 _cents_ per gigabyte.
>
>
I will attest that the size can be controlled, but only with 
considerable massaging.  In the case of the bulletins I published, each 
was individually republished on a template with all the bitmaps replaced 
by vectors (except for the technical drawings, and even those were 
individually reduced in size by erasing accumulated black areas created 
by repeated photocopying and using just one bit per pixel instead of 
grayscale), and all the bitmapped text was converted by OCR and then 
pasted into the documents, then converted to an Interleaf font close to 
the original, or inserted by hand if it didn't convert well.  All that 
required the manipulation of four documents per bulletin--the primary 
scan, the OCR version, the one based on one of several templates and the 
converted PDF.   But, it made the entire collection searchable and kept 
the size manageable (~ 20-25K per page).  A big pain in the ass to do, 
though.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:02:00 -0700

If the 133mb file size is a problem, you can download this version instead.  It's mostly legible and only 21mb.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2H2NJt34OffRC1TUGVUQTZ2LWc/view?usp=sharing

-- Randall

---

From: Stan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 22:33:39 +0000

Thanks Randall and Dr S. Great scan and a good doc to add to the collection. 133MB not a problem (FIOS) and I copied it from your cloud to my cloud so don't care about disk space either.

Stan

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 3:04 AM
To: 'TR owners List'
Subject: [TR] New TR2-4 manual available in PDF

Thanks to Dr. Scott Hall for sharing his hard work with us.  I've just cleaned things up a bit, added back a few missing pages and so on.  Should be text searchable.

As always, if you find a problem, let me know.  I think I found all the pages with the scale messed up, but I might have missed a few.

-- Randall

---

From: Michael Marr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 03:30:47 +0000

I downloaded the big 'un to my cloud drive.  Very impressive, with a working TOC to boot!  Thanks a lot for doing this, guys.

Mike

Michael Marr
Albion Technical Services
Mobile:  630-202-0065

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 4:02 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]