Subject: [TR] Brake LIghts

From: Erkan Hassan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 14:36:15 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0915760532960033466==
	boundary="----=_Part_8583666_540266482.1433774175645"

------=_Part_8583666_540266482.1433774175645
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear All,=C2=A0Had the 62 TR 3B out yesterday.=C2=A0The headlights and tail=
lights all come on.=C2=A0The brakelights once stepping on the brake do not.=
=C2=A0 I have replaced the brake relay switch, but they still do not come o=
n.Any advice as to where I should look next?=C2=A0ThanksErkan
------=_Part_8583666_540266482.1433774175645
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><body><div style="color:#000; background-color:#fff; font-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;font-size:12px"><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5298"><br>Dear All,</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5303">&nbsp;</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5327">Had the 62 TR 3B out yesterday.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>The headlights and taillights all come on.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5333">The brakelights once stepping on the brake do not.&nbsp; I have replaced the brake relay switch, but they still do not come on.</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5330">Any advice as to where I should look next?</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5332">&nbsp;</div><div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1433773965291_5331">Thanks</div><div>Erkan</div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_8583666_540266482.1433774175645--

--===============0915760532960033466==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0915760532960033466==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 11:08:49 -0700

> The brakelights once stepping on the brake do not.  I have 
> replaced the brake relay switch, but they still do not come on.
> Any advice as to where I should look next?

Er, you did have the ignition on, right?

Unlike the head and tail lights, the brake lights get power from one of the fuse block fuses.  So check that the turn signals or
wipers work, as they get power from the same fuse block terminal.  If so, then I'd say it's time to get out the meter and do a
little troubleshooting.  

Check that one side of the brake light switch is getting power with the key on.  If not, the problem is either the bullet connector
or the wire back to the fuse block, or it's connection to the fuse block.

Then have a helper hold the brake pedal down firmly, while you check both sides of the brake light switch.  If the power goes away
on the terminal that had it before, you've got a bad (weak) connection between there and the fuse block (the bullet sleeve would be
my first guess).  If one terminal has power and the other does not, then either the switch is bad or your helper isn't pressing the
pedal hard enough.

If both have power, my next check would be the RH brake light (with helper still holding the pedal down).  Don't trust the taillight
base to be grounded, open the trunk and connect to a screw head or something.  If you don't have power there, the problem is in the
wire from the switch (or the other bullet connector near the switch).

Next I'd check that the lamp base is actually grounded.  The factory ground arrangement is very marginal here, IMO, so I added a
ground wire for all of the rear lamps and brought it around to one of the fuel tank mounting bolts (along with a ground for the fuel
sender).

That should get you started.

-- Randall