Subject: Re: [TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 22:18:50 +0000 (UTC)

Just as an alternative thought, I recently switched to the LED headlights Randall mentioned.  (Hopefully they'll pick up the next deer before before before I run into it!)

With LED headlights,running lights and stop lights, I'm wondering about the need to convert from a generator at all.

I confess that running to work for a week in the dark on the generator with top down, headlights and heater blaring, I had to manually recharge the battery.  With LED lights, I'm thinking the generator can keep up?

More of a question, really.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ljung Madison" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:50:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

Dave Hammond writes:
> I have converted to a  alternator using a GM alternator in my tr3. I find
> that they are a PIA because of their size. I cannot install/remove without
> removing the front carb. Has anyone used another alternator that is smaller?

Most alternator conversions I have heard about involve the Delco 10SI,
though I couldn't figure out how to make the wide body fit until I
found an alternator conversion from Power British (now gone).  Info on my
conversion is here:

http://triumph.daveola.com/Album/Alternator-Conversion/

I don't remember having to remove the carbs to get the alternator out, but
part of that is because I barely ever have to pull the alternator, whereas
that damn generator would fry every year or so.

The difference in cost and maintenance is enormous, I recommend switching
to an alternator as one of the best upgrades for a TR.

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Ljung Madison          http://GetDave.com/                415.341.5555
--------- Cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny. ------------

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Ljung Madison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 15:51:36 -0700

On 15/06/02 22:18 +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> With LED lights, I'm thinking the generator can keep up?

Fairly easy to answer if your ammeter is working, turn everything on and
see which way the needle points.  If you don't have LEDs yet, then turn on
the parking lights and add whatever Amps the LED lights draw (which should
be reasonably easy to find out).

---

From: "Dixie4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 05:53:02 +0100

Just a small point regarding LED replacement bulbs. They are fantastic and I 
swear by them. I do have a couple of observations I would like to share.
One is the choice of design. For instance take an indicator bulb of standard 
construction. When fitted quite a large part of the bulb and element 
protrudes from the reflector. This means that the light emitted can be seen 
from a wide angle. It surprised me how many LED replacement bulbs have no 
protrusion from the reflector and can only been seen dead ahead. A waste of 
time and dangerous. Protruding ones are available.
Secondly, Do not under any circumstances be tempted to change the ignition 
warning lamp to LED.
The ignition warning lamp completes the charging circuit. Right? Ummm. Not 
so with a LED. For some reason, possibly because a LED bulb operates in a 
completely different way, the alternator/dynamo will give non charging 
indications.
It is a long story, (don't ask it hurts,) but in reality a LED bulb will not 
complete the charging circuit at low engine revs under 2000- 2500rpm. Fact.

Adrian 1966 TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "David Ljung Madison" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] alternator conversion in a tr3

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2015.0.5961 / Virus Database: 4355/9927 - Release Date: 06/02/15
>