Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A update and overdrive question

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:50:26 -0500

--===============0847465156609575589==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00CC_01D09F18.D969DE90"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01D09F18.D969DE90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Chris,

You may be right.  I may have that backward between A & J.  If D =
switches between 2, 3, & 4, it is probably a D since it is in a 4A.  =
Weren=E2=80=99t A & J on the 250 & 6?  And if fitted to a 4 would =
require modification?

Creig

=20

From: Chris Simo [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 10:09 PM
To: Creig Houghtaling
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A update and overdrive question

=20

I think you may have it the other way round.  The D type od -- like I =
have in my 63 tr4  has od in 2, 3, and 4.   The J type in my TR6 has =
only 3rd and 4th.

=20

I believe you could modify a j type cover to add a switch and go for 2, =
3 and 4.

=20

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

First an update.  Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal not =
allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.  I had suggestions of seals that =
weren=E2=80=99t so tall.  One suggestion was the seal from a TR6.  So I =
worked with that idea and found that if I trimmed the new seal all the =
way down to the base around the bottom edges and half way up the sides I =
could actually close the trunk and latch it.  SUCCESS!!!  Thanks for the =
help!

=20

Then I took it for a drive around the block and tried out the overdrive. =
  AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!  Smoke was escaping from the wires!  Couldn=E2=80=99t =
reach any of the wires from under the car, so took the freshly installed =
interior apart again.  I found 2 issues.  I hooked the live up through =
the  ground switches side.  So when I had continuity in 3rd gear and =
engaged the OD switch I sent live straight to ground.  Good way to make =
your wires into a toaster.  That=E2=80=99s why the smoke escaped.  But =
the only way I could have live is because my switch on the steering =
column was grounding out onto the turn signal switch.  So I got some new =
wire and made up new with new spade ends and bullet connectors.  OD =
functions perfectly now.  This time I was smart enough to test it before =
I buttoned everything up.

=20

The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter =
allow the transmission to go into OD in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  I thought =
only J-type overdrives switched in the 3 top gears.  The tag on the OD =
doesn=E2=80=99t say A or J.  It just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial =
# 22/61753/003197, Patent GB 456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France =
806914.  Is there anything in that information that would tell if it was =
A or J?  The OD was not original to the car.  The heritage report  has =
it imported into Canada, white, red interior, surrey top.  So the OD was =
added later in life.  Can anybody tell me what I have here?

=20

Creig

[email-masked]

St. Louis, MO

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

=20

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01D09F18.D969DE90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Chris,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>You may be right.=C2=A0 I may have that backward between A &amp; =
J.=C2=A0 If D switches between 2, 3, &amp; 4, it is probably a D since =
it is in a 4A.=C2=A0 Weren=E2=80=99t A &amp; J on the 250 &amp; 6?=C2=A0 =
And if fitted to a 4 would require modification?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Creig<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Chris Simo [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, June =
04, 2015 10:09 PM<br><b>To:</b> Creig Houghtaling<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: =
[TR] TR4A update and overdrive question<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I think =
you may have it the other way round.&nbsp; The D type od -- like I have =
in my 63 tr4 &nbsp;has od in 2, 3, and 4. &nbsp; The J type in my TR6 =
has only 3rd and 4th.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
believe you could modify a j type cover to add a switch and go for 2, 3 =
and 4.<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On Thu, =
Jun 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Creig Houghtaling &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>First an =
update.&nbsp; Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal not =
allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.&nbsp; I had suggestions of seals that =
weren=E2=80=99t so tall.&nbsp; One suggestion was the seal from a =
TR6.&nbsp; So I worked with that idea and found that if I trimmed the =
new seal all the way down to the base around the bottom edges and half =
way up the sides I could actually close the trunk and latch it.&nbsp; =
SUCCESS!!!&nbsp; Thanks for the help!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>Then I took =
it for a drive around the block and tried out the overdrive.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!&nbsp; Smoke was escaping from the wires!&nbsp; =
Couldn=E2=80=99t reach any of the wires from under the car, so took the =
freshly installed interior apart again.&nbsp; I found 2 issues.&nbsp; I =
hooked the live up through the&nbsp; ground switches side.&nbsp; So when =
I had continuity in 3<sup>rd</sup> gear and engaged the OD switch I sent =
live straight to ground.&nbsp; Good way to make your wires into a =
toaster.&nbsp; That=E2=80=99s why the smoke escaped.&nbsp; But the only =
way I could have live is because my switch on the steering column was =
grounding out onto the turn signal switch.&nbsp; So I got some new wire =
and made up new with new spade ends and bullet connectors.&nbsp; OD =
functions perfectly now.&nbsp; This time I was smart enough to test it =
before I buttoned everything up.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>The other =
thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter allow the =
transmission to go into OD in 2<sup>nd</sup>, 3<sup>rd</sup>, and =
4<sup>th</sup>.&nbsp; I thought only J-type overdrives switched in the 3 =
top gears.&nbsp; The tag on the OD doesn=E2=80=99t say A or J.&nbsp; It =
just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197, Patent GB =
456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France 806914.&nbsp; Is there =
anything in that information that would tell if it was A or J?&nbsp; The =
OD was not original to the car.&nbsp; The heritage report&nbsp; has it =
imported into Canada, white, red interior, surrey top.&nbsp; So the OD =
was added later in life.&nbsp; Can anybody tell me what I have =
here?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>&nbsp;<o:p><=
/o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'>Creig<o:p></=
o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a></span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>St. Louis, =
MO</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br><br>** <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
**<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
<a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
om" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ccsimons=
[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01D09F18.D969DE90--

--===============0847465156609575589==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0847465156609575589==--

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 23:00:13 -0500

--===============0794700077229846438==

<html>
<body>
If it looks like the one in this picture <br>
<a href="http://www.tonydrews.com/2008-9Rebuild/DSCN0563.JPG" eudora="autourl">
http://www.tonydrews.com/2008-9Rebuild/DSCN0563.JPG</a><br>
and has a big brass drain plug on the bottom of it, it's an A type
overdrive.<br><br>
My tranny had the ability to use OD in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but there's
little stock about the car so I'm not sure if that was normal for A types
or not.<br><br>
Cheers, Tony Drews<br><br>
At 09:50 PM 6/4/2015, Creig Houghtaling wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">Content-Type:
multipart/alternative;<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>
boundary=&quot;----=_NextPart_000_0095_01D09F10.8AC14740&quot;<br>
Content-Language: en-us<br><br>
First an update.&nbsp; Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal
not allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.&nbsp; I had suggestions of seals
that weren’t so tall.&nbsp; One suggestion was the seal from a TR6.&nbsp;
So I worked with that idea and found that if I trimmed the new seal all
the way down to the base around the bottom edges and half way up the
sides I could actually close the trunk and latch it.&nbsp;
SUCCESS!!!&nbsp; Thanks for the help!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Then I took it for a drive around the block and tried out the
overdrive.&nbsp;&nbsp; AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!&nbsp; Smoke was escaping from the
wires!&nbsp; Couldn’t reach any of the wires from under the car, so took
the freshly installed interior apart again.&nbsp; I found 2 issues.&nbsp;
I hooked the live up through the&nbsp; ground switches side.&nbsp; So
when I had continuity in 3<sup>rd</sup> gear and engaged the OD switch I
sent live straight to ground.&nbsp; Good way to make your wires into a
toaster.&nbsp; That’s why the smoke escaped.&nbsp; But the only way I
could have live is because my switch on the steering column was grounding
out onto the turn signal switch.&nbsp; So I got some new wire and made up
new with new spade ends and bullet connectors.&nbsp; OD functions
perfectly now.&nbsp; This time I was smart enough to test it before I
buttoned everything up.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter
allow the transmission to go into OD in 2<sup>nd</sup>, 3<sup>rd</sup>,
and 4<sup>th</sup>.&nbsp; I thought only J-type overdrives switched in
the 3 top gears.&nbsp; The tag on the OD doesn’t say A or J.&nbsp; It
just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197, Patent GB
456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France 806914.&nbsp; Is there
anything in that information that would tell if it was A or J?&nbsp; The
OD was not original to the car.&nbsp; The heritage report&nbsp; has it
imported into Canada, white, red interior, surrey top.&nbsp; So the OD
was added later in life.&nbsp; Can anybody tell me what I have here?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Creig<br>
<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
St. Louis, MO<br><br>
** [email-masked] **<br><br>
Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl">
Archive:
<a href="http://www.team.net/archive" eudora="autourl">
Forums:
<a href="http://www.team.net/forums" eudora="autourl">
http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
</blockquote></body>
<br>
</html>

--===============0794700077229846438==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0794700077229846438==--