Subject: [TR] Standard-Triumph Factory Reconditioned Engine number plate

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:27:29 -0500

--===============2320421401052790663==

--001a1135a6689e76c80518ba0214

Many of us US-based TR folk will have read in the books about factory
reconditioned engines (FRE) and the replacement number plate riveted over
the original plinth.

But over here it's not easy to see one of these plates -- FRE engines
didn't make it to the US officially, AFAIK, and I've never seen one in an
American TR.

I had a chance to take a good photo of one the other weekend playing TRs
with friends in the UK, and thought some of you might find it interesting
to see.  This one is from a 1956 TR3 in long-term (but not original)
ownership.  That engine's been in the car a looong time, still going strong
without a rebuild.  The guys who reconditioned it back in the day did a
good job.

http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-XvTTKzN/0/X2/i-XvTTKzN-X2.jpg

--001a1135a6689e76c80518ba0214
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Many of us US-based TR folk will have read in the books ab=
out factory reconditioned engines (FRE) and the replacement number plate ri=
veted over the original plinth.<div><br></div><div>But over here it&#39;s n=
ot easy to see one of these plates -- FRE engines didn&#39;t make it to the=
 US officially, AFAIK, and I&#39;ve never seen one in an American TR.</div>=
<div><br></div><div>I had a chance to take a good photo of one the other we=
ekend playing TRs with friends in the UK, and thought some of you might fin=
d it interesting to see.=C2=A0 This one is from a 1956 TR3 in long-term (bu=
t not original) ownership.=C2=A0 That engine&#39;s been in the car a looong=
 time, still going strong without a rebuild.=C2=A0 The guys who recondition=
ed it back in the day did a good job.</div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"h=
ttp://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-XvTTKzN/0/X2/i-XvTTKzN-X2.jpg">http://4xdo=
g.smugmug.com/photos/i-XvTTKzN/0/X2/i-XvTTKzN-X2.jpg</a><br></div></div>

--001a1135a6689e76c80518ba0214--

--===============2320421401052790663==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2320421401052790663==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:19:07 -0700

> I had a chance to take a good photo of one the other weekend 
> playing TRs with friends in the UK, and thought some of you 
> might find it interesting to see.

Very cool, Don, thanks for sharing!

Any idea what the "HP" on the bottom line means?  I'm sure the "F" on the top line refers to liner grade, but I don't recall hearing
about grades for main bearings.

-- Randall