Subject: [TR] TR4A update and overdrive question

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 21:50:58 -0500

--===============6704811366856864702==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0095_01D09F10.8AC14740"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D09F10.8AC14740
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

First an update.  Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal not
allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.  I had suggestions of seals that weren't
so tall.  One suggestion was the seal from a TR6.  So I worked with that
idea and found that if I trimmed the new seal all the way down to the base
around the bottom edges and half way up the sides I could actually close the
trunk and latch it.  SUCCESS!!!  Thanks for the help!

Then I took it for a drive around the block and tried out the overdrive.
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!  Smoke was escaping from the wires!  Couldn't reach any of
the wires from under the car, so took the freshly installed interior apart
again.  I found 2 issues.  I hooked the live up through the  ground switches
side.  So when I had continuity in 3rd gear and engaged the OD switch I sent
live straight to ground.  Good way to make your wires into a toaster.
That's why the smoke escaped.  But the only way I could have live is because
my switch on the steering column was grounding out onto the turn signal
switch.  So I got some new wire and made up new with new spade ends and
bullet connectors.  OD functions perfectly now.  This time I was smart
enough to test it before I buttoned everything up.

The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter allow
the transmission to go into OD in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  I thought only J-type
overdrives switched in the 3 top gears.  The tag on the OD doesn't say A or
J.  It just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197, Patent GB
456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France 806914.  Is there anything in
that information that would tell if it was A or J?  The OD was not original
to the car.  The heritage report  has it imported into Canada, white, red
interior, surrey top.  So the OD was added later in life.  Can anybody tell
me what I have here?

Creig

[email-masked]

St. Louis, MO

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D09F10.8AC14740
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>First an =
update.&nbsp; Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal not =
allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.&nbsp; I had suggestions of seals that =
weren&#8217;t so tall.&nbsp; One suggestion was the seal from a =
TR6.&nbsp; So I worked with that idea and found that if I trimmed the =
new seal all the way down to the base around the bottom edges and half =
way up the sides I could actually close the trunk and latch it.&nbsp; =
SUCCESS!!!&nbsp; Thanks for the help!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Then I took =
it for a drive around the block and tried out the overdrive.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!&nbsp; Smoke was escaping from the wires!&nbsp; =
Couldn&#8217;t reach any of the wires from under the car, so took the =
freshly installed interior apart again.&nbsp; I found 2 issues.&nbsp; I =
hooked the live up through the&nbsp; ground switches side.&nbsp; So when =
I had continuity in 3<sup>rd</sup> gear and engaged the OD switch I sent =
live straight to ground.&nbsp; Good way to make your wires into a =
toaster.&nbsp; That&#8217;s why the smoke escaped.&nbsp; But the only =
way I could have live is because my switch on the steering column was =
grounding out onto the turn signal switch.&nbsp; So I got some new wire =
and made up new with new spade ends and bullet connectors.&nbsp; OD =
functions perfectly now.&nbsp; This time I was smart enough to test it =
before I buttoned everything up.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The other =
thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter allow the =
transmission to go into OD in 2<sup>nd</sup>, 3<sup>rd</sup>, and =
4<sup>th</sup>.&nbsp; I thought only J-type overdrives switched in the 3 =
top gears.&nbsp; The tag on the OD doesn&#8217;t say A or J.&nbsp; It =
just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197, Patent GB =
456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France 806914.&nbsp; Is there =
anything in that information that would tell if it was A or J?&nbsp; The =
OD was not original to the car.&nbsp; The heritage report&nbsp; has it =
imported into Canada, white, red interior, surrey top.&nbsp; So the OD =
was added later in life.&nbsp; Can anybody tell me what I have =
here?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Creig<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></span></=
p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>St. Louis, =
MO<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D09F10.8AC14740--

--===============6704811366856864702==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6704811366856864702==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 21:37:29 -0700

> The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the 
> shifter allow the transmission to go into OD in 2nd, 3rd, and 
> 4th.  I thought only J-type overdrives switched in the 3 top 
> gears.  The tag on the OD doesn't say A or J.  It just says 
> Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197,

That's an A-type, the later variant with the smaller accumulator as fitted to TR4A IRS and (some) later cars.

It should be enabled in 2nd, 3rd & 4th.  Some early TR2 A-types only worked in 4th gear, but most were 2,3,4.

J-types normally only work in 3rd & 4th (unless modified of course).

Someone mentioned D-type; those were not used on the 'big' TRs.  Only early Spitfire and GT6, AFAIK (although there might be some
others).  The D-type is smaller and weaker, marginal even behind the 2.0 6 banger.

-- Randall

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 07:11:05 -0600

O/D's are not very smart. They are either on or off. That being the 
function of the fitted lock out switch(s).
Dave P
On 6/4/2015 10:37 PM, Randall wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 08:48:26 -0700

> function of the fitted lock out switch(s).

True, the overdrive box itself doesn't even "know" what gear is selected.  I was talking about the factory configuration of the
lockout switches, which I took to be what the question was about.

Although there were changes inside the A-type, so it could handle the extra torque of operation in 2nd & 3rd.  Since 2nd gear is
2:1, the OD has to handle twice as much torque in 2nd as it does in 4th.

Randall