Subject: [TR] Tach needle (TR3)

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 17:00:46 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8208591413415241630==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0080_01D085C2.B70B5FF0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01D085C2.B70B5FF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have just put 100 miles on my newly-restored '57 small-mouth and am
working through the usual "teething" problems:  leaks, oil pressure
adjustment, electrical glitches, etc.  One thing I cannot work out is that
the needle on the tach swings about quite a bit:  it's ok at steady rpm, but
gear changes cause marked fluctuations.

I had the gauge rebuilt by Nisonger and I have a new cable.  Any thoughts
why this should be so?

Andrew

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01D085C2.B70B5FF0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have =
just put 100 miles on my newly-restored &#8217;57 small-mouth and am =
working through the usual &#8220;teething&#8221; problems:&nbsp; leaks, =
oil pressure adjustment, electrical glitches, etc.&nbsp; One thing I =
cannot work out is that the needle on the tach swings about quite a =
bit:&nbsp; it&#8217;s ok at steady rpm, but gear changes cause marked =
fluctuations.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I had the gauge rebuilt by Nisonger and I have a new =
cable.&nbsp; Any thoughts why this should be =
so?<br><br>Andrew<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0080_01D085C2.B70B5FF0--

--===============8208591413415241630==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8208591413415241630==--

---

From: Greg Gelhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 18:25:27 -0500

There was once  a service bulletin advising that the inner cable should not extend over 5/16 inch past the outer cable. You might want to try loosening the cable nut one turn to see if the inner cable is putting pressure on the gauge bearing.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

T-Mobile. America’s First Nationwide 4G Network

Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 00:07:25 -0700

> I had the gauge rebuilt by Nisonger and I have a new cable.  
> Any thoughts why this should be so?

I'd try the old cable.  New is not always better!  Or at the very least, pull out the inner cable for inspection.  Any bright spots
(from rubbing) mean you need another new cable.  If it's dry, some lube might help (but not too much).  Also poke a wire or
something similar into the mating hole in the tach.  Possibly something got stuck in there and Nisonger's missed removing it.

-- Randall