Subject: [TR] gas cap venting

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 13:44:45 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8022808207757382071==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0045_01D08B27.79CA7080"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01D08B27.79CA7080
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

are TR3 and TR4/a gas caps vented?
------=_NextPart_000_0045_01D08B27.79CA7080
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>are TR3 and TR4/a gas caps vented?</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01D08B27.79CA7080--

--===============8022808207757382071==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8022808207757382071==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 12:09:29 -0700

--===============3754284132975530721==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0295_01D08B1A.2AC2BB80"

------=_NextPart_000_0295_01D08B1A.2AC2BB80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Apparently some are, but most are not.  As Jonas posted, there is a vent on the top of the tank; but the cap I have has what appears
to be a factory vent hole in it.
 
Even without the hole, I don't think they seal perfectly.  The plate that actually closes the opening has a pin going through the
middle (which carries the spring), and there is no seal where the pin penetrates the plate.  But I wouldn't rely on that to pass
enough air to allow fuel to flow to the engine.

-- Randall 

  _____  

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of dave n
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] gas cap venting

------=_NextPart_000_0295_01D08B1A.2AC2BB80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><SPAN class=3D859010619-10052015><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2 face=3DArial>Apparently some are, but most are not.&nbsp; As =
Jonas posted,=20
there is a vent on the top of the tank; but the cap I have has what =
appears to=20
be a factory vent hole in it.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><SPAN class=3D859010619-10052015><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><SPAN class=3D859010619-10052015><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2 face=3DArial>Even without the hole, I don't think they seal=20
perfectly.&nbsp; The plate that actually closes the opening has a pin =
going=20
through the middle (which carries the spring), and there is no seal =
where the=20
pin penetrates the plate.&nbsp; But I wouldn't rely on that to pass =
enough air=20
to allow fuel to flow to the engine.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><!-- Converted =
from text/plain format -->
<P><FONT size=3D2>-- Randall </FONT></P>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: =
5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader align=3Dleft>
  <HR tabIndex=3D-1>
  <FONT size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><B>From:</B> Triumphs=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <B>On Behalf Of </B>dave=20
  n<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:45 AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [TR] gas cap=20
  venting<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">
  <DIV>are TR3 and TR4/a gas caps=20
vented?</DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0295_01D08B1A.2AC2BB80--

--===============3754284132975530721==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3754284132975530721==--

---

From: Greg Gelhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 14:16:49 -0500

I don't think so because there is a vent tube from the top of the fuel tank to the underside of the car.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

T-Mobile. America’s First Nationwide 4G Network

dave n <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 12:19:52 -0700

--===============2483786243089613239==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008A_01D08B1B.9E2AB040"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01D08B1B.9E2AB040
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hmmm. I had the overflow/vent tube and what appeared to be a hole in side
the cap and if I made a left turn with a somewhat full tank, I left a trail
of gasoline behind me. I removed the tube and replaces the banjo with a bolt
and washer and have had no ill effects, so apparently it's venting
adequately.  I would think one or the other, but not both a vented cap and
an overflow.

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] gas cap venting

Apparently some are, but most are not.  As Jonas posted, there is a vent on
the top of the tank; but the cap I have has what appears to be a factory
vent hole in it.

Even without the hole, I don't think they seal perfectly.  The plate that
actually closes the opening has a pin going through the middle (which
carries the spring), and there is no seal where the pin penetrates the
plate.  But I wouldn't rely on that to pass enough air to allow fuel to flow
to the engine.

-- Randall 

  _____  

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01D08B1B.9E2AB040
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* =
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Hmmm&#8230; I had the overflow/vent tube and what appeared to be a =
hole in side the cap and if I made a left turn with a somewhat full =
tank, I left a trail of gasoline behind me. I removed the tube and =
replaces the banjo with a bolt and washer and have had no ill effects, =
so apparently it&#8217;s venting adequately.&nbsp; I would think one or =
the other, but not both a vented cap and an =
overflow.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Randall<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:09 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] gas cap =
venting<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:blue'>Ap=
parently some are, but most are not.&nbsp; As Jonas posted, there is a =
vent on the top of the tank; but the cap I have has what appears to be a =
factory vent hole in it.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:blue'>Ev=
en without the hole, I don't think they seal perfectly.&nbsp; The plate =
that actually closes the opening has a pin going through the middle =
(which carries the spring), and there is no seal where the pin =
penetrates the plate.&nbsp; But I wouldn't rely on that to pass enough =
air to allow fuel to flow to the engine.</span><o:p></o:p></p><p><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>-- Randall </span><o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid blue 1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
4.0pt;margin-left:3.75pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:=
5.0pt'><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div class=3DMsoNormal =
align=3Dcenter style=3D'text-align:center'><hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" =
align=3Dcenter></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:triumphs-bounces@a=
utox.team.net</a>] <b>On Behalf Of </b>dave n<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, =
May 10, 2015 11:45 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b=
>Subject:</b> [TR] gas cap =
venting</span><o:p></o:p></p><div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:black'>are TR3 and =
TR4/a gas caps =
vented?<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></blockquote></div></body>=
</html>
------=_NextPart_000_008A_01D08B1B.9E2AB040--

--===============2483786243089613239==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2483786243089613239==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 12:30:09 -0700

> Hmmm. I had the overflow/vent tube and what appeared to be a 
> hole in side the cap and if I made a left turn with a 
> somewhat full tank, I left a trail of gasoline behind me.

I had the same problem, first with my previous TR3A and then again with the current TR3.  The first time I just plugged the overflow
line; but this time I replaced the banjo as Bob did.

Here's a photo of the hole I was talking about
<http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS13571L/Gastankventholeincap.jpg~original>

-- Randall