Subject: Re: [TR] Running down oil leaks

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 06:22:17 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3562772042427373971==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0072_01D083D7.2C5C5400"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D083D7.2C5C5400
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If you can get a TR to stop leaking that might be the best excuse ever =
to quit your day job. <grin>
JVV

From: Dave Connitt=20
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:27 PM
To: [email-masked]=20
Subject: [TR] Running down oil leaks

Hello everyone,
So I am getting close to plugging all the oil leaks on my TR4A IRS but I =
have a question for the list.
One of the sources of leaking oil was relating to the cast aluminum oil =
filter assembly. Specifically there were two leaks;
1. There was a leak between the large hex "bolt"on top of the oil filter =
casting and the casting. Easy fix, just had to tighten the "bolt"
2. The second leak was between the lock nut holding the screw that holds =
the screw locked into item 1 and the hex "bolt".=20
There was no mention of this assembly in my shop manual but I did find =
an exploded view of the cast aluminum oil filter attachment assembly. =
The exploded view shows "lead wire" as a sealant between that adjustment =
screw and the hex "bolt".  From the exploded view, it looks like you are =
just supposed to wrap two or three turns around the locking nut and =
tighten it up..=20

My question is, what have other people used to replace the "lead wire"?

I think what happened is that years ago when I was cleaning the aluminum =
oil filter attachment assembly, I put it back together off the engine =
and probably didn't have a way to really tighten either pieces. I =
cleaned it all off with carb cleaner after I tightened them and went for =
a quick spin and all seems dry!
Two down and no idea how many more but it is marking it's territory less =
and less.
Regards,
Dave Connitt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D083D7.2C5C5400
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16636">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>If you can get a TR to stop leaking that might be the best excuse =
ever to=20
quit your day job. &lt;grin&gt;</DIV>
<DIV>JVV</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Dave Connitt</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:27 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> =
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [TR] Running down oil leaks</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; =
COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: =
none">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hello everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>So I am getting close to plugging all the oil =
leaks on my=20
TR4A IRS but I have a question for the list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>One of the sources of leaking oil was relating =
to the cast=20
aluminum oil filter assembly. Specifically there were two =
leaks;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>1. There was a leak between the large hex =
"bolt"on top of=20
the oil filter casting and the casting. Easy fix, just had to tighten =
the=20
"bolt"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>2. The second leak was between the lock nut =
holding the=20
screw that holds the screw locked into item 1 and the hex "bolt". =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>There was no mention of this assembly in my shop =
manual=20
but I did find an exploded view of the cast aluminum oil filter =
attachment=20
assembly. The exploded view shows "lead wire" as a sealant between that=20
adjustment screw and the hex "bolt".&nbsp; From the exploded view, it =
looks like=20
you are just supposed to wrap two or three turns around the locking nut =
and=20
tighten it up.. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>My question is, what have other people used to =
replace the=20
"lead wire"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I think what happened is that years ago when I =
was=20
cleaning the aluminum oil filter attachment assembly, I put it back =
together off=20
the engine and probably didn't have a way to really tighten either =
pieces. I=20
cleaned it all off with carb cleaner after I tightened them and went for =
a quick=20
spin and all seems dry!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Two down and no idea how many more but it is =
marking it's=20
territory less and less.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dave Connitt</FONT></DIV>
<P>
<HR>
<BR>** [email-masked] **<BR><BR>Donate:=20
http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<BR>=
</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D083D7.2C5C5400--

--===============3562772042427373971==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3562772042427373971==--

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 22:44:46 -0400

--===============7497022510496413726==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0107_01D08460.6CC1C730"

------=_NextPart_000_0107_01D08460.6CC1C730
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello Everyone,
Just a quick note to say thanks for all the ideas on what to use in =
place of "lead wire" as a sealant on my oil filter casting.
So far, it hasn't leaked a drop since I tightened it down. I will keep =
checking as part of my normal pre-drive check but so far, so good.
Regards,
Dave Connitt
------=_NextPart_000_0107_01D08460.6CC1C730
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16636">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hello Everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Just a quick note to say thanks for all the =
ideas on what=20
to use in place of "lead wire" as a sealant on my oil filter=20
casting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>So far, it hasn't leaked a drop since I =
tightened it down.=20
I will keep checking as part of my normal pre-drive check but so far, so =

good.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dave Connitt</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0107_01D08460.6CC1C730--

--===============7497022510496413726==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7497022510496413726==--