Subject: [TR] Question on cloth covered TR4 upper radiator hoses

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 20:44:04 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============0321466176482383672==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0063_01D09274.8B945480"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01D09274.8B945480
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The current thread on cooling issues has me posing this thought..

About a year and a half ago, I got my 1967 Triumph TR4A IRS to a point =
that it was running and driving. As I was slowly finishing the =
restoration I noticed that the cloth covered top radiator hose I bought =
from one of the big three suppliers started to leak. So, I replaced it =
with a new one and continued to drive it. I think I have about 3,000 =
miles on it now and I noticed that I was loosing coolant again. After =
looking and looking for the leak, I discovered that the new upper =
radiator hose was soaking wet on the bottom.
I just ordered another upper hose but this time, I went with the smooth =
hose that Moss sells. It's only been on for about 20 miles of driving or =
so but in about a month I am planning on driving about 105 miles from my =
house to a British car show  in Louisville, KY. I am hoping this was =
just a fluke but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar =
problem with the cloth covered radiator hoses?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
------=_NextPart_000_0063_01D09274.8B945480
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16644">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The current thread on cooling issues has me =
posing this=20
thought..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>About a year and a half ago, I got my 1967 =
Triumph TR4A=20
IRS to a point that it was running and driving. As I was slowly =
finishing the=20
restoration I noticed that the cloth covered top radiator hose I bought =
from one=20
of the big three suppliers started to leak. So, I replaced it with a new =
one and=20
continued to drive it. I think I have about 3,000 miles on it now and I =
noticed=20
that I was loosing coolant again. After looking and looking for the =
leak, I=20
discovered that the new upper radiator hose was soaking wet on the=20
bottom.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I just ordered another upper hose but this time, =
I went=20
with the smooth hose that Moss sells. It's only been on for about 20 =
miles of=20
driving or so but in about a month I am planning on driving about 105 =
miles from=20
my house to a British car show&nbsp; in Louisville, KY. I am hoping this =
was=20
just a fluke but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar =
problem with=20
the cloth covered radiator hoses?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Dave Connitt</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01D09274.8B945480--

--===============0321466176482383672==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0321466176482383672==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 18:12:08 -0700

> I am hoping this was just a fluke 
> but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem 
> with the cloth covered radiator hoses?

Yes!  

But I went with the Gates "Green Stripe" hose sold for trucks, bought through RockAuto.com

-- Randall

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 07:55:41 -0400

--===============7173680922311437829==
	boundary="----=_Part_318409_925777892.1432122941481"

------=_Part_318409_925777892.1432122941481
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

No, I have not.  I replaced my hoses with the green hoses about five years ago thinking it would fix my leak but it turned out to be the radiator.  A new core and $300 later all is well five years later.

About 10 years ago I thought the water pump on my TR8 went bad.  That turned out to be a hose.

I guess the theme here is check associated parts in the vicinity as leaks can be deceiving. 

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Connitt <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Question on cloth covered TR4 upper radiator hoses

  
  About a year and a half ago, I got my 1967 Triumph TR4A IRS to a point that it was running and driving. As I was slowly finishing the restoration I noticed that the cloth covered top radiator hose I bought from one of the big three suppliers started to leak. So, I replaced it with a new one and continued to drive it. I think I have about 3,000 miles on it now and I noticed that I was loosing coolant again. After looking and looking for the leak, I discovered that the new upper radiator hose was soaking wet on the bottom. 
  
  I just ordered another upper hose but this time, I went with the smooth hose that Moss sells. It's only been on for about 20 miles of driving or so but in about a month I am planning on driving about 105 miles from my house to a British car show  in Louisville, KY. I am hoping this was just a fluke but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the cloth covered radiator hoses? 
  
  Thanks, 
  
  Dave Connitt 

------=_Part_318409_925777892.1432122941481
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='4' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<font size="4">No, I have not.&nbsp; I replaced my hoses with the green hoses about five years ago thinking it would fix my leak but it turned out to be the radiator.&nbsp; A new core and $300 later all is well five years later.<br>
<br>
About 10 years ago I thought the water pump on my TR8 went bad.&nbsp; That turned out to be a hose.<br>
<br>
I guess the theme here is check associated parts in the vicinity as leaks can be deceiving. <br>
</font>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave Massey</font><br>

<br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Dave Connitt &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Subject: [TR] Question on cloth covered TR4 upper radiator hoses<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_f3c36e39-0c8a-4325-ae2d-e05b67f0e9d4">

<div bgcolor="#ffffff" class="aolReplacedBody"> 

<div>
  <font face="Arial">The current thread on cooling issues has me posing this thought..</font>
 </div>

<div>
  <font face="Arial"></font>&nbsp;
 </div>

<div>
  <font face="Arial">About a year and a half ago, I got my 1967 Triumph TR4A IRS to a point that it was running and driving. As I was slowly finishing the restoration I noticed that the cloth covered top radiator hose I bought from one of the big three suppliers started to leak. So, I replaced it with a new one and continued to drive it. I think I have about 3,000 miles on it now and I noticed that I was loosing coolant again. After looking and looking for the leak, I discovered that the new upper radiator hose was soaking wet on the bottom.</font>
 </div>

<div>
  <font face="Arial">I just ordered another upper hose but this time, I went with the smooth hose that Moss sells. It's only been on for about 20 miles of driving or so but in about a month I am planning on driving about 105 miles from my house to a British car show&nbsp; in Louisville, KY. I am hoping this was just a fluke but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the cloth covered radiator hoses?</font>
 </div>

<div>
  <font face="Arial">Thanks,</font>
 </div>

<div>
  <font face="Arial">Dave Connitt</font>
 </div>

</div>

</div>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_d38ac3ed-dbd1-4cc5-835e-3c135e293510" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt><a removedlink__e6ecbdc0-2586-4523-985e-00703359cdee__href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank"></a>
</tt></pre>
</div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_d38ac3ed-dbd1-4cc5-835e-3c135e293510 -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_318409_925777892.1432122941481--

--===============7173680922311437829==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7173680922311437829==--