Subject: [TR] Vintage cars ripe for electric conversion. Stag mention

From: "Mark Hooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 01:06:58 -0400

--===============4831333531480636921==

--0523-0506-58-03-PART_BREAK
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Here is an interesting photonote on cars ripe for conversion to electric.  
The text specifically mentioned the 1970-78 Triumph Stag. Here's the link: 
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150521-vintage-gas-guzzlers-ripe-for-a-battery-powered-reboot
The text on the Triumph slide reads "There is no list of world’s worst 
cars that fails to include the Triumph Stag. It’s a shame, really; the 
Stag’s reputation for reliability, or profound lack thereof, has obscured 
its aesthetic goodness, which is considerable. The big semi-convertible was 
created to compete with the vaunted Mercedes SL and, like most Triumphs of 
the era, arrived with a gorgeous shape penned by Giovanni Michellotti, whose 
previous efforts included the Ferrari 166 MM and the BMW 2002. It’s 
handsome from the outside and handsome from the inside, and it drives well, 
too. When it drives, that is. Unfortunately, the car’s Triumph-designed 
3-litre V8 was a bona fide disaster, and as a result, the general public 
remembers the car in much the same way it remembers New Coke and Microsoft 
Bob. But there is a solution: excise that woeful engine, transmission and 
fuel system. What’s left? The good stuff."

I have always like the looks of the Stag. The electric option is an 
interesting one. What say the massed minds of the list; would it work? I 
recall that many earlier conversions just  put a single DC motor in place of 
the gasoline engine. That would leave the original automatic transmission of 
the Stag still in place.  Sounds like a bad idea. I wonder if they have 
direct hub motors available now?
Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

--0523-0506-58-03-PART_BREAK
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html><body>
<div style="font-size: 13px; font-family: tahoma; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); 
font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; background: none 0% 0% / auto repeat 
scroll padding-box border-box rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);">
	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		<span style="line-height: 2.8rem; font-size: 10pt;"><span 
style="font-family:times new roman,times,serif;">Here is an interesting 
photonote on cars ripe for conversion to electric. &nbsp;The text 
specifically mentioned the&nbsp;</span></span><span style="line-height: 
2.8rem; font-family: 'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 10pt;">
1970-78 Triumph Stag. Here&#39;s the link:&nbsp;</span><span 
style="font-family: tahoma; font-size: 13px; line-height: 2.8rem;">
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150521-vintage-gas-guzzlers-ripe-for-a-battery-powered-reboot</span>
</div>
	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		<span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 
10pt; line-height: 1.8rem; color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">The text on the 
Triumph slide reads &quot;There is no list of world&rsquo;s worst cars that 
fails to include the Triumph Stag. It&rsquo;s a shame, really; the 
Stag&rsquo;s reputation for reliability, or profound lack thereof, has 
obscured its aesthetic goodness, which is considerable. The big 
semi-convertible was created to compete with the vaunted Mercedes SL and, 
like most Triumphs of the era, arrived with a gorgeous shape penned by 
Giovanni Michellotti, whose previous efforts included the Ferrari 166 MM and 
the BMW 2002. It&rsquo;s handsome from the outside and handsome from the 
inside, and it drives well, too. When it drives, that is. Unfortunately, the 
car&rsquo;s Triumph-designed 3-litre V8 was a bona fide disaster, and as a 
result, the general public remembers the car in much the same way it 
remembers New Coke and Microsoft Bob. But there is a solution: excise that 
woeful engine, transmission and fuel system. What&rsquo;s left? The good 
stuff.&quot;</span></div>
	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		&nbsp;</div>
	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		<span style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: 'times new roman', 
times, serif; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.8rem;">I have always like the 
looks of the Stag. The electric option is an interesting one. What say the 
massed minds of the list; would it work? I recall that many earlier 
conversions just &nbsp;put a single DC motor in place of the gasoline 
engine. That would leave the original automatic transmission of the Stag 
still in place. &nbsp;Sounds like a bad idea. I wonder if they have direct 
hub motors available now?</span></div>
	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		<span style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: 'times new roman', 
times, serif; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.8rem;">Mark Hooper</span></div>

	<div style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; font-size: 2.8rem; 
font-weight: 700; line-height: 2.8rem; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">
		<span style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: 'times new roman', 
times, serif; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.8rem;">1972 TR6</span></div>
	<dl>
	</dl>
</div>
<div style="font-family: tahoma; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 13px; 
font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; background: none 0% 0% / auto repeat 
scroll padding-box border-box rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);">
	&nbsp;</div>
</body></html>

--0523-0506-58-03-PART_BREAK--

--===============4831333531480636921==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4831333531480636921==--

---

From: "Jeremiah Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 17:17:47 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1720945555253170641==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D09645.8DF92690"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D09645.8DF92690
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have considered doing the same with my TR3.....especially on days when =
I contemplate the low compression in one cylinder.

From: Mark Hooper=20
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:06 PM
To: Triumph List=20
Subject: [TR] Vintage cars ripe for electric conversion. Stag mention

Here is an interesting photonote on cars ripe for conversion to =
electric.  The text specifically mentioned the 1970-78 Triumph Stag. =
Here's the link: =
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150521-vintage-gas-guzzlers-ripe-for-a-b=
attery-powered-reboot=20
The text on the Triumph slide reads "There is no list of world=E2=80=99s =
worst cars that fails to include the Triumph Stag. It=E2=80=99s a shame, =
really; the Stag=E2=80=99s reputation for reliability, or profound lack =
thereof, has obscured its aesthetic goodness, which is considerable. The =
big semi-convertible was created to compete with the vaunted Mercedes SL =
and, like most Triumphs of the era, arrived with a gorgeous shape penned =
by Giovanni Michellotti, whose previous efforts included the Ferrari 166 =
MM and the BMW 2002. It=E2=80=99s handsome from the outside and handsome =
from the inside, and it drives well, too. When it drives, that is. =
Unfortunately, the car=E2=80=99s Triumph-designed 3-litre V8 was a bona =
fide disaster, and as a result, the general public remembers the car in =
much the same way it remembers New Coke and Microsoft Bob. But there is =
a solution: excise that woeful engine, transmission and fuel system. =
What=E2=80=99s left? The good stuff."

I have always like the looks of the Stag. The electric option is an =
interesting one. What say the massed minds of the list; would it work? I =
recall that many earlier conversions just  put a single DC motor in =
place of the gasoline engine. That would leave the original automatic =
transmission of the Stag still in place.  Sounds like a bad idea. I =
wonder if they have direct hub motors available now?
Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D09645.8DF92690
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>I have considered doing the same with my TR3.....especially on days =
when I=20
contemplate the low compression in one cylinder.</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Mark Hooper</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, May 22, 2015 11:06 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Triumph List</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [TR] Vintage cars ripe for electric conversion. =
Stag=20
mention</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma; BACKGROUND: none =
transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); =
FONT-STYLE: normal">
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,times,serif">Here is an =
interesting=20
photonote on cars ripe for conversion to electric.&nbsp; The text =
specifically=20
mentioned the </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'times new roman', times, =
serif">1970-78=20
Triumph Stag. Here's the link: </SPAN><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: =
tahoma">http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150521-vintage-gas-guzzlers-ripe=
-for-a-battery-powered-reboot</SPAN>=20
</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'times new roman', times, serif; =
COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)">The=20
text on the Triumph slide reads "There is no list of world=E2=80=99s =
worst cars that=20
fails to include the Triumph Stag. It=E2=80=99s a shame, really; the =
Stag=E2=80=99s reputation=20
for reliability, or profound lack thereof, has obscured its aesthetic =
goodness,=20
which is considerable. The big semi-convertible was created to compete =
with the=20
vaunted Mercedes SL and, like most Triumphs of the era, arrived with a =
gorgeous=20
shape penned by Giovanni Michellotti, whose previous efforts included =
the=20
Ferrari 166 MM and the BMW 2002. It=E2=80=99s handsome from the outside =
and handsome=20
from the inside, and it drives well, too. When it drives, that is.=20
Unfortunately, the car=E2=80=99s Triumph-designed 3-litre V8 was a bona =
fide disaster,=20
and as a result, the general public remembers the car in much the same =
way it=20
remembers New Coke and Microsoft Bob. But there is a solution: excise =
that=20
woeful engine, transmission and fuel system. What=E2=80=99s left? The =
good=20
stuff."</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'times new roman', =
&#13;&#10;times, serif; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)">I=20
have always like the looks of the Stag. The electric option is an =
interesting=20
one. What say the massed minds of the list; would it work? I recall that =
many=20
earlier conversions just&nbsp; put a single DC motor in place of the =
gasoline=20
engine. That would leave the original automatic transmission of the Stag =
still=20
in place.&nbsp; Sounds like a bad idea. I wonder if they have direct hub =
motors=20
available now?</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'times new roman', =
&#13;&#10;times, serif; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)">Mark=20
Hooper</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; FONT-WEIGHT: 700; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px =
0px 6px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'times new roman', =
&#13;&#10;times, serif; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)">1972=20
TR6</SPAN></DIV>
<DL></DL></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma; BACKGROUND: none =
transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); =
FONT-STYLE: normal">&nbsp;</DIV>
<P>
<HR>
<BR>** [email-masked] **<BR><BR>Donate:=20
http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<BR>=
</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01D09645.8DF92690--

--===============1720945555253170641==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1720945555253170641==--