Subject: [TR] advice needed for a crankshaft on ebay

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:07:11 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8911038310472205068==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00EA_01D076AB.8A078C20"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00EA_01D076AB.8A078C20
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

A friend is in need of a new crankshaft for her TR3 and found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR3-Original-Engine-Crankshaft-Checked-f
or-Cracks-VGC-/331519279959?hash=item4d3016c357
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR3-Original-Engine-Crankshaft-Checked-
for-Cracks-VGC-/331519279959?hash=item4d3016c357&vxp=mtr> &vxp=mtr

Do the measurements as stated mean that the crank has been ground to .040
less than original on the mains and .010 under on the rods? Is that a lot
for a crankshaft? Does the price seem reasonable? Are there any other
sources?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

------=_NextPart_000_00EA_01D076AB.8A078C20
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>A friend is in need of a new crankshaft for her TR3 and found this on =
ebay:<o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br><br><o:p></o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><a =
href=3D"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR3-Original-Engine-Crankshaf=
t-Checked-for-Cracks-VGC-/331519279959?hash=3Ditem4d3016c357&amp;vxp=3Dmt=
r">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR3-Original-Engine-Crankshaft-Che=
cked-for-Cracks-VGC-/331519279959?hash=3Ditem4d3016c357&amp;vxp=3Dmtr</a>=
<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Do the measurements as =
stated mean that the crank has been ground to .040 less than original on =
the mains and .010 under on the rods? Is that a lot for a crankshaft? =
Does the price seem reasonable? Are there any other =
sources?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Thanks for any help,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Bob<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00EA_01D076AB.8A078C20--

--===============8911038310472205068==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8911038310472205068==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:57:21 -0700

> Do the measurements as stated mean that the crank has been 
> ground to .040 less than original on the mains and .010 under 
> on the rods? Is that a lot for a crankshaft? Does the price 
> seem reasonable? Are there any other sources?

Other way around, it's .040" under on the rods.  That is too much IMO, especially since it has clearly been used (and has some wear)
since it was ground to .040" under.  At that price, I'd expect to find no more than .010" on rods and mains.

Given that there is visible wear on every single journal, I suspect the seller is lying about the size anyway.  It would have been
ground to .040" under, then any wear would take it smaller than that.  That has to be at least .0002" wear visible.  They claim to
be a professional shop, but state "no warranty".  My guess is that they wouldn't use this crank, so they're selling it on eBay
instead.

I know I wouldn't use it, unless I had no other choice.  If Marv Gruber can't set you up, try Ted Schumacher.

-- Randall