Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 Cabriolet, diff

From: Frank Magnusson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 20:14:02 -0600

I had a 72 GT6 Mk III for many years, not sure what the stock differential was in that, but I installed a GT6 OD unit from another GT6 MkIII of the same year and drove it like that for nearly 20 years.  I thought it was a very nice combination.  I never changed anything in the differential.  I believe it dropped the revs on the highway around 700 rpm of I remember right.  It really made it into a much nicer cruiser on the highway and still very quick around town with the OD disengaged.

Frank

Sent from my iPad

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 08:56:28 -0000

Factory specs for GT6 axle ratios for all markets were 3.89 diff on all cars
with overdrive and 3.27 for those without. I too had a Mk2 GT6 with a 3.27
diff and an overdrive because such a combo was available but never promoted.
It gave a final overall ratio of about 2.82:1. I can't remember speed values
this far down the track but (a) maximum speed was faster in direct 4th than
overdrive 4th, and (b) you needed a long downhill and a following strong
wind to get it to pull more than 4,000 revs in overdrive 4th. But all that
to one side, it made a great long-distance cruiser and the fuel consumption
was very respectable. That's an issue that was important to me then - and
still is today.

Jonmac

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Frank
Magnusson
Sent: 06 March 2015 02:14
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 Cabriolet, diff

I had a 72 GT6 Mk III for many years, not sure what the stock differential
was in that, but I installed a GT6 OD unit from another GT6 MkIII of the
same year and drove it like that for nearly 20 years.  I thought it was a
very nice combination.  I never changed anything in the differential.  I
believe it dropped the revs on the highway around 700 rpm of I remember
right.  It really made it into a much nicer cruiser on the highway and still
very quick around town with the OD disengaged.

Frank

Sent from my iPad

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4299/9235 - Release Date: 03/05/15

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com