Subject: [TR] engine surge

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 20:56:57 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4407405909633823169==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0052_01D060F4.E7D3D290"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01D060F4.E7D3D290
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

that=E2=80=99s the best way to describe it =E2=80=93 the engine will =
surge on and off just 100 rpm or so, mostly at 3500+ rpm, except it =
seems to idle at a lower rpm and more roughly than usual.

and its inconsistent.  drove probably 60+ miles no issue at all.  but on =
the return trip had this issue.  thought it was bad gas so stopped and =
added maybe 1/3 tank plus two bottles of injector cleaner. =20

I=E2=80=99m still thinking it might be bad gas, but I=E2=80=99m also =
thinking of replacing the spark plugs and maybe the fuel pump.

car is a 72 TR6, no emission equipment, triple carbs, mild cam, etc., =
running close to 11 to 1 compression.  it  has been running well, =
although I have seen this issue once or twice in the past few months, =
but just for a minute here and there.
------=_NextPart_000_0052_01D060F4.E7D3D290
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>that=E2=80=99s the best way to describe it =E2=80=93 the engine =
will surge on and off just=20
100 rpm or so, mostly at 3500+ rpm, except it seems to idle at a lower =
rpm and=20
more roughly than usual.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>and its inconsistent.&nbsp; drove probably 60+ miles no issue at =
all.&nbsp;=20
but on the return trip had this issue.&nbsp; thought it was bad gas so =
stopped=20
and added maybe 1/3 tank plus two bottles of injector cleaner.&nbsp; =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I=E2=80=99m still thinking it might be bad gas, but I=E2=80=99m =
also thinking of replacing=20
the spark plugs and maybe the fuel pump.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>car is a 72 TR6, no emission equipment, triple carbs, mild cam, =
etc.,=20
running close to 11 to 1 compression.&nbsp; it&nbsp; has been running =
well,=20
although I have seen this issue once or twice in the past few months, =
but just=20
for a minute here and=20
there.</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01D060F4.E7D3D290--

--===============4407405909633823169==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4407405909633823169==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:40:31 -0700

> that's the best way to describe it - the engine will surge on 
> and off just 100 rpm or so, mostly at 3500+ rpm, except it 
> seems to idle at a lower rpm and more roughly than usua

Just a thought: Try temporarily plugging the line to the brake booster.  Also check the line itself for any signs of cracks.

-- Randall

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:37:39 -0400

--===============3932420199203593899==
	boundary="----=_Part_43860_2023019595.1426721859394"

------=_Part_43860_2023019595.1426721859394
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 Crazy thought: do you have an inline fuel filter? If so, when was it last changed?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]>
To: 'dave n' <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 17, 2015 10:41 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] engine surge

> and off just
100 rpm or so, mostly at 3500+ rpm, except it 
> seems to idle at a lower rpm
and more roughly than usua

Just a thought: Try temporarily plugging the line
to the brake booster.  Also check the line itself for any signs of cracks.

--
Randall  

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_Part_43860_2023019595.1426721859394
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='3' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>

<div> <font size="3">Crazy thought: do you have an inline fuel filter? If so, when was it last changed?</font><br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font color="black" size="2" face="arial">--Andy Mace<br>

<br>

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?<br>

*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.<br>

-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)<br>

<br>

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org<br>

<br>

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us</font></div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Randall &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: 'dave n' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Tue, Mar 17, 2015 10:41 pm<br>

Subject: Re: [TR] engine surge<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1_564600f5-896f-40f1-bb3c-5ffe31b8cccc" style="margin: 0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color: #000;background-color: #fff;">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>&gt; that's the best way to describe it - the engine will surge on 
&gt; and off just
100 rpm or so, mostly at 3500+ rpm, except it 
&gt; seems to idle at a lower rpm
and more roughly than usua

Just a thought: Try temporarily plugging the line
to the brake booster.  Also check the line itself for any signs of cracks.

--
Randall  

** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums:
<a href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
</tt></pre>
</div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_564600f5-896f-40f1-bb3c-5ffe31b8cccc -->
</div>

</font>
------=_Part_43860_2023019595.1426721859394--

--===============3932420199203593899==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3932420199203593899==--