Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 rear spring specification

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:25:32 -0700

On 2/17/15 5:23 PM, Randall wrote:
> I'm trying to work out whether my old springs really were way too soft; or the new springs I got are way too stiff (and ride much
> too high).
I never researched it, but long ago I was told that the TR3 & solid axle 
TR4 used the same size spring.  Because the TR4 was heavier the TR4 had 
a higher Spring rate.  I was also told that most if not all makers of 
reproduction TR springs just made the TR4 springs because it was cheaper 
make one set than two sets with different spring rates.  The person told 
me that the springs designed to handle the TR4's rear weight caused a 3 
to sit high  and the extra stiffness tended to shake the TR3's parts 
loose and to be hard on the driver.

Like I said I never researched it so it may just be an old husband's tale.

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:58:49 -0000

Delving into my ancient archive of Sales Technical Data for sidescreen TR's
I read - and quote:

"The suspension systems vary according to the eventual destination market.
Essentially, suspension systems are designated as Domestic and Heavy Duty
with the latter being fitted as standard for export markets in developing
countries - Africa, South America, Puerto Rico, Middle and Far East.
There are two types of Domestic suspension arrangement in which the spring
periodicity varies. Again, periodicity is market dependent and as an
example, cars destined for Canada and the United States use different
periodicity units resulting in a slightly firmer ride quality allied to a
marginally higher ride height, than units specified for the UK domestic and
western European markets. Front coil springs and rear leaf springs are
identified by differing paint colour splashes and reference should be made
to the appropriate Service Information Sheets and Spare Parts Data Bulletins
to identify market suitability to displayed colours." Unquote

Not a lot of help - but maybe a bit?

Jonmac

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: 18 February 2015 00:24
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 rear spring specification

In the factory TR2-TR3 workshop manual, the rear spring diagram on page H-3
gives the nominal laden camber for the rear springs as 7/8".  But there are
two specifications next to that, one for "blue" and one for "red".

Does anyone know what the colors signify?  The SPC does not list any
alternate rear springs except the later 330306 passenger side spring that is
supposedly identical to the drivers side except for an added spacer.  The
diagram was published long before the
330306 spring was added, so I doubt that is it anyway.

And if there were a performance spring option available (like the front
springs), I would expect it to have a different spring rate but roughly the
same ride height.  The workshop manual lists only one spring rate.

I'm trying to work out whether my old springs really were way too soft; or
the new springs I got are way too stiff (and ride much too high).  So I do
have a practical application, not just random curiosity.  The fact that a
piece fell out of one of the old springs the other day says that it was
probably too soft (cracked), but its mate seems to match very closely with
another original spring that I was given.

-- Randall 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4284/9130 - Release Date: 02/17/15

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com