Subject: [TR] TR4A Fan & Hub History

From: Brad Eells <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:27:26 -0700

--===============3526661107016076390==

--001a113cbcea76b85f050f8ae1dd

Speaking of TR4A fans...

I did a bit of digging in the parts catalog and found the TR4A was fitted
with potentially 3 different fans,  2 different hub extensions and 2
different hub bolts.

It appears that a 6 blade fan was initially installed and then superceded
by 4 blade metal fan. Both use the same hub extension, part number 128318.
The extension bolt appears to have a 12 point head, part no. 142185. The
same extension is used on the TR4 with the hand crank center bolt.

A 'plastic' fan also appears to be a standard fitment on some cars. The
parts book shows it as a 4 blade fan with perhaps an aluminum center with
plastic blades riveted to it. This fan uses a different hub extension, pt
no. 142121 and rounded hex head center bolt, pt no. HB1349.

My TR4A is an early one that came to me with the 8 blade yellow TR250 fan
when I bought it in 1982. The hub extension and hex bolt I have appears to
be correct for the above plastic fan application compared to the
illustrations in the parts book.

All three bolts are NLS now. I have several of the TR4 bolts and 2 of the
hex head bolts. I have never seen the 12 sided bolt.

A hex head is on Ebay right now fairly cheap! Someone is asking big money
for a TR4 bolt as well...

Never a cooling issue with that fan...well, except when the water pump
shaft broke and tossed the pulley into the radiator core!

Cheers,

Brad

--001a113cbcea76b85f050f8ae1dd
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Speaking of TR4A fans...</div><div><br></div><div>I d=
id a bit of digging in the parts catalog and found the TR4A was fitted with=
 potentially 3 different fans, =C2=A02 different hub extensions and 2 diffe=
rent hub bolts.</div><div><br></div><div>It appears that a 6 blade fan was =
initially installed and then superceded by 4 blade metal fan. Both use the =
same hub extension, part number 128318. The extension bolt appears to have =
a 12 point head, part no. 142185. The same extension is used on the TR4 wit=
h the hand crank center bolt.</div><div><br></div><div>A &#39;plastic&#39; =
fan also appears to be a standard fitment on some cars. The parts book show=
s it as a 4 blade fan with perhaps an aluminum center with plastic blades r=
iveted to it. This fan uses a different hub extension, pt no. 142121 and ro=
unded hex head center bolt, pt no. HB1349.</div><div><br></div><div>My TR4A=
 is an early one that came to me with the 8 blade yellow TR250 fan when I b=
ought it in 1982. The hub extension and hex bolt I have appears to be corre=
ct for the above plastic fan application compared to the illustrations in t=
he parts book.</div><div><br></div><div>All three bolts are NLS now. I have=
 several of the TR4 bolts and 2 of the hex head bolts. I have never seen th=
e 12 sided bolt.</div><div><br></div><div>A hex head is on Ebay right now f=
airly cheap! Someone is asking big money for a TR4 bolt as well...</div><di=
v><br></div><div>Never a cooling issue with that fan...well, except when th=
e water pump shaft broke and tossed the pulley into the radiator core!</div=
><div><br></div><div>Cheers,</div><div><br></div><div><br>Brad</div>
</div>

--001a113cbcea76b85f050f8ae1dd--

--===============3526661107016076390==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3526661107016076390==--