Subject: [TR] TR4A engine ground strap

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 21:45:10 -0600

Hello List,
Am reassembling my TR4A and trying to sort out the correct attachment points for the engine ground strap.  I have a 2 1/2 inch 3/8-24 bolt with two nuts, a lock washer and 2 star washers that I labeled "engine ground" on disassembly.  Now I can't figure out where it goes.  My photos show the ground attached to a timing chain cover bolt and the other end to the shock tower in an extra bolt hole where the cross tube attaches.  And that is where the old strap wants to be.  The hole in the shock tower is about an inch deep, so simple enough to secure the strap there.  Just don't know where the 2 1/2" bolt with 2 nuts goes.  Could be I mislabeled it.  Any enlightenment will be appreciated.
Lesson learned...be more specific when bagging and labeling. 
John DeLuca

Sent from my iPad

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:00:09 -0800

> I'm a fan of functionality over how the previous owner had 
> things. I think the best place for a ground strap is between 
> one of the starter motor mounting bolts and the frame 
> adjacent to that bolt. you want that starter motor to have 
> the best electrical connections that it can have.

If you are going to modify, why not run the ground cable directly from the battery to the starter?  Later cars even had an extra
connector, so the same cable attaches to both engine and body.  That way the starter current doesn't run through the body at all.

-- Randall

---

From: Brian Induni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 11:31:39 -0800

--===============8456598201851162607==

--001a11c2623e381590050e7078b8

John, sounds like you're a purist like me! The correct original location
for this ground strap is across the front engine mount rubber. It literally
attaches to the stud of the mount on the engine side, and the bolt of the
same mount on the frame side. The idea is that, since this is a pivot point
it is the location of least movement, in contrast with a cable that runs
from the frame to another location on the engine that moves side to side.
You want to minimize the amount of movement this critical connection makes
to discourage the Prince of Darkness from visiting!

Also make sure to ground the steering rack or your horn won't work.... ask
me how I know! :-)

Brian

>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 21:45:10 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [TR] TR4A engine ground strap
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
>
> Hello List,
> Am reassembling my TR4A and trying to sort out the correct attachment
> points for the engine ground strap.  I have a 2 1/2 inch 3/8-24 bolt with
> two nuts, a lock washer and 2 star washers that I labeled "engine ground"
> on disassembly.  Now I can't figure out where it goes.  My photos show the
> ground attached to a timing chain cover bolt and the other end to the shock
> tower in an extra bolt hole where the cross tube attaches.  And that is
> where the old strap wants to be.  The hole in the shock tower is about an
> inch deep, so simple enough to secure the strap there.  Just don't know
> where the 2 1/2" bolt with 2 nuts goes.  Could be I mislabeled it.  Any
> enlightenment will be appreciated.

--001a11c2623e381590050e7078b8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">John, sounds like you&#39;re a purist like me! The correct=
 original location for this ground strap is across the front engine mount r=
ubber. It literally attaches to the stud of the mount on the engine side, a=
nd the bolt of the same mount on the frame side. The idea is that, since th=
is is a pivot point it is the location of least movement, in contrast with =
a cable that runs from the frame to another location on the engine that mov=
es side to side. You want to minimize the amount of movement this critical =
connection makes to discourage the Prince of Darkness from visiting!<div><b=
r></div><div>Also make sure to ground the steering rack or your horn won&#3=
9;t work.... ask me how I know! :-)</div><div><br></div><div>Brian<br><div =
class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-l=
eft:1ex"><br>
<br>
Message: 1<br>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 21:45:10 -0600<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
To: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
t</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>&gt;<br>
Subject: [TR] TR4A engine ground strap<br>
lobal.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
<br>
Hello List,<br>
Am reassembling my TR4A and trying to sort out the correct attachment point=
s for the engine ground strap.=C2=A0 I have a 2 1/2 inch 3/8-24 bolt with t=
wo nuts, a lock washer and 2 star washers that I labeled &quot;engine groun=
d&quot; on disassembly.=C2=A0 Now I can&#39;t figure out where it goes.=C2=
=A0 My photos show the ground attached to a timing chain cover bolt and the=
 other end to the shock tower in an extra bolt hole where the cross tube at=
taches.=C2=A0 And that is where the old strap wants to be.=C2=A0 The hole i=
n the shock tower is about an inch deep, so simple enough to secure the str=
ap there.=C2=A0 Just don&#39;t know where the 2 1/2&quot; bolt with 2 nuts =
goes.=C2=A0 Could be I mislabeled it.=C2=A0 Any enlightenment will be appre=
ciated.<br>
Lesson learned...be more specific when bagging and labeling.<br>
John DeLuca<br>
<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
<br></blockquote></div></div></div></div>

--001a11c2623e381590050e7078b8--

--===============8456598201851162607==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8456598201851162607==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 22:56:30 +0000 (UTC)

>John, sounds like you're a purist like me! The correct original location for this ground strap is across the front engine mount rubber. It literally attaches to the stud of the mount on the engine side, and >the bolt of the same mount on the frame side. The idea is that, since this is a pivot point it is the location of least movement, in contrast with a cable that runs from the frame to another location on the >engine that moves side to side. You want to minimize the amount of movement this critical connection makes to discourage the Prince of Darkness from visiting! 

Guess I misread the post.  I thought the thread was about grounding the battery.  Apologies.  

Terry