Subject: Re: [TR] 74 triumph tail light glue

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:36:41 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0497445773254812285==
 boundary="------------000901080105090306050205"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000901080105090306050205
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Q-bond

On 2/20/2015 12:16 PM, Lee Janssen wrote:
> I have a 74 TR6 backup light where the screw attachment post that has 
> separated from the lens where the meet.
> What is the best glue for fixing this break?
> Thanks in advance
> Lee Janssen
> Centennial Co
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------000901080105090306050205
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Q-bond<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/20/2015 12:16 PM, Lee Janssen
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">I have a 74 TR6 backup light where the screw
        attachment post that has separated from the lens where the meet.
        <div>What is the best glue for fixing this break?</div>
        <div>Thanks in advance</div>
        <div>Lee Janssen</div>
        <div>Centennial Co</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000901080105090306050205--

--===============0497445773254812285==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0497445773254812285==--

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:50:34 -0600

--===============1099001805798875727==

--001a113a676cd537ba050f8a5e15

Plastic automotive taillight lenses are almost always made of polymethyl
methacrylate ("acrylic") for high transparency and superb UV resistance.
Probably a safe assumption the back up lens is the same.

I'd probably start with acrylic welding using methylene chloride and one of
the special "hypodermic" bottles (or an equivalent).  If it's a clean break
in PMMA, this can make an almost perfect repair.
http://www.amazon.com/Weld-On-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW

Cyanoacrylate adhesives (super glues) might be a reasonable option, and
would probably be my second choice.

Don
St Louis MO
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Lee Janssen <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

--001a113a676cd537ba050f8a5e15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Plastic automotive taillight lenses are almost always made=
 of polymethyl methacrylate (&quot;acrylic&quot;) for high transparency and=
 superb UV resistance.=C2=A0 Probably a safe assumption the back up lens is=
 the same. =C2=A0<div><br></div><div>I&#39;d probably start with acrylic we=
lding using methylene chloride and one of the special &quot;hypodermic&quot=
; bottles (or an equivalent).=C2=A0 If it&#39;s a clean break in PMMA, this=
 can make an almost perfect repair.</div><div><a href=3D"http://www.amazon.=
com/Weld-On-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW">http://www.am=
azon.com/Weld-On-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW</a><br></=
div><div><br></div><div>Cyanoacrylate adhesives (super glues) might be a re=
asonable option, and would probably be my second choice. =C2=A0</div><div><=
br></div><div>Don</div><div>St Louis MO</div><div>1962 TR3B TSF202L</div><d=
iv><br></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote=
">On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Lee Janssen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">lee.k.janssen@gmail.=
com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"mar=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr=
">I have a 74 TR6 backup light where the screw attachment post that has sep=
arated from the lens where the meet.<div>What is the best glue for fixing t=
his break?</div><div>Thanks in advance</div><span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font co=
lor=3D"#888888"><div>Lee Janssen</div><div>Centennial Co</div></font></span=
></div>
<br><br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a113a676cd537ba050f8a5e15--

--===============1099001805798875727==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1099001805798875727==--

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:04:15 -0700

--047d7b8748d492617c050f8a8e39

--047d7b8748d4926176050f8a8e37

If it is plastic-to-plastic and if the plastic is styrene (quite possibly
is) then most hobby shops sell a 'glue' just for that.  It is really a
solvent that melts each surface and lets them bond.  Sets up fast though
overnight is needed for everything to once again be solid plastic.

I have even repaired shattered plastic posts using the original part, a
piece of a cheap ball-point pen and this glue.

Geo

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Lee Janssen <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

--047d7b8748d4926176050f8a8e37
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>If it is plastic-to-plastic and if the plastic is sty=
rene (quite possibly is) then most hobby shops sell a &#39;glue&#39; just f=
or that.=C2=A0 It is really a solvent that melts each surface and lets them=
 bond.=C2=A0 Sets up fast though overnight is needed for everything to once=
 again be solid plastic.</div><div><br></div><div>I have even repaired shat=
tered plastic posts using the original part, a piece of a cheap ball-point =
pen and this glue.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div><div><br></div><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at =
12:16 PM, Lee Janssen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lee.k.janssen=
@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:=
<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;pad=
ding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;bord=
er-left-style:solid"><div dir=3D"ltr">I have a 74 TR6 backup light where th=
e screw attachment post that has separated from the lens where the meet.<di=
v>What is the best glue for fixing this break?</div><div>Thanks in advance<=
/div><span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><div>Lee Janssen</div><=
div>Centennial Co</div></font></span></div>
<br><br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div></div>

--047d7b8748d4926176050f8a8e37--

--047d7b8748d492617c050f8a8e39
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Styrene Glue.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--047d7b8748d492617c050f8a8e39
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--047d7b8748d492617c050f8a8e39--

---

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:55:18 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7889535974136557959==
 boundary=------------070804070602080904030203

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070804070602080904030203
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I just did this myself on a spit taillight.
a gel form of super glue worked well.
Just let it set well before reinstalling or the fumes can discolor 
(white residue) the lense.
a little goes a long way
ptegler

On 2/20/2015 2:16 PM, Lee Janssen wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler [email-masked] www.teglerizer.com

--------------070804070602080904030203
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    I just did this myself on a spit taillight.<br>
    a gel form of super glue worked well.<br>
    Just let it set well before reinstalling or the fumes can discolor
    (white residue) the lense.<br>
    a little goes a long way<br>
    ptegler<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/20/2015 2:16 PM, Lee Janssen
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">I have a 74 TR6 backup light where the screw
        attachment post that has separated from the lens where the meet.
        <div>What is the best glue for fixing this break?</div>
        <div>Thanks in advance</div>
        <div>Lee Janssen</div>
        <div>Centennial Co</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Paul Tegler
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------070804070602080904030203--

--===============7889535974136557959==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7889535974136557959==--