Subject: [TR] Rear axle shafts

From: John T Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:27:30 -0500

Removed the rear axle half shafts when I had to replace the crown wheel 
and pinion set. Now I can't get the splines of either half shaft to 
engage the splines of the sunwheels. They both feel as if they're 
bumping against metal. What to do now? Will I have to go back into the 
differential and adjust the position of the whole assembly? Would it 
have shifted?

Tom Nichols
'58 TR3A TS32093L O

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:19:57 -0800

> engage the splines of the sunwheels.

As I recall, you have to lift the axle up slightly to hit the hole in the carrier.  If you let the end just slide along the tube, it
misses the hole.

But you should only have to twist it slightly to get the splines to line up, no matter how they have turned.

-- Randall