Subject: [TR] TR4A crankcase ventilation

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:09:48 -0500

Well,
After driving my TR4A for awhile, the only real thing I am having a problem
with is blowby and it's related problem.. oil leaks.
I have tried to get the stock PCV valve working with my cast aluminum valve
cover with no success.
I am going to remove the plug in the side of the block and installing a TR4
style crankcase vent tube. That should get rid of my lower end ventilation
issue. I just have to come up with a final fix for the top end.
I am looking for suggestions on how any of you have removed that plug in the
side of the crankcase. I would like to remove it without dropping the oil pan
if at all possible.
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
TR4A
http://davestr4a.com

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 20:36:48 -0800

Hi Dave,
This email is dij` vu for me a couple of years ago. I thought it was the
rear seal, so I went to the Marx Vitron version. I had the engine out of the
car three times because of the damn leaks. No luck. Oil was coming out of
every location possible. I spent half my time at 2011VTR underneath the car
trying to fix the annoying leak  (it was pretty bad back then).
Cut to the chase,  the stock PVC looks really sophisticated, but seems to
have a very narrow margin of operation. Got one from Moss, same result. Got
one from TRF, same result.
What the definition of an idiot? So, I tried something different and
replaced the PCV with a $4 cheapo from a FLAPS and all the oil leaks
disappeared, immediately. All of them. Here's a link to a similar one ...
http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/pcv-valve/az-filters-pcv-valve/34549
6_0_0/
As verification I put the stock one back in and it leaked like a sieve. A
friend of mine had the same issues on his TR6. He changed to the cheapo PVC
valve.  Wow, no leaks!
I think some Sheldon Cooper type designed the stock PCV valve as part of his
college thesis, and the guys at Coventry thought it was cool.
You have no idea how pissed off I was to spend all that time and effort only
to find that it was the stupid PCV valve.
BTW, the pressure in the crankcase and the valve cover should be the same as
there are open passages in the tappet area.
BTW #2 my engine was just rebuilt with new everything when all this
occurred.
Johnnie
'67 TR4A
As always, YMMV

> Well,
> After driving my TR4A for awhile, the only real thing I am having a
problem with is
> blowby and it's related problem.. oil leaks.
> I have tried to get the stock PCV valve working with my cast aluminum
valve cover
> with no success.
> I am going to remove the plug in the side of the block and installing a
TR4 style
> crankcase vent tube. That should get rid of my lower end ventilation
issue. I just
> have to come up with a final fix for the top end.
> side of the crankcase. I would like to remove it without dropping the oil
pan if at all
> possible.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com