Subject: [TR] speedo cables etc

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 10:34:17 -0000

Both my Triumphs had twitching needles and then one of them broke successive
cables. Rather than take the instrument to pieces on the car that was
breaking the cables, memories jogged on what we did in the Coventry Service
Department with such issues. Often, it was because of a 'dry' outer cable
sheath and sticky residue within it. Although it was a pain for some cars,
we removed the whole outer cable and soaked it in a diluted degreasing
solution, then applying a good blast of compressed air to shift the muck.
Amazing what often came out. Then re-thread the outer cable back into place
avoiding any sharp bends. Taking the inner drive cable and with a gloved
hand, apply about a teaspoon full of clean engine coil to the palm of one
hand and run the drive cable up and down the whole cable length through the
oiled fist several times. This oil deposit will be enough to ensure free
rotation within the outer cable without excesses going where they're not
wanted. Re-insert in outer cable and connect at both ends.
I'm not saying this will cure all probs but it did with mine and a good few
others. Seeing one or two suggestions about pouring 3 in 1 type lube in
small quantities into the outer cable. Hmm, don't forget a twisting cable
can act as a very effective pump and the last thing anyone wants is an
excess of oil in the speedo head.

Jonmac

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tom Note" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 22:51:17 -0500

Thanks for that info, John.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 5:34 AM
Subject: [TR] speedo cables etc

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]