Subject: [TR] TR4A steering shaft

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 13:54:08 -0600

I'm working on a TR4A steering shaft.  As I took it apart, it had ground wires
linking each section of shaft across each rubber joint.  I don't see the
purpose in these wires and am considering not using them upon reassembly.
Does anybody have a reason why I should keep the ground wire links between
each section of shaft?
Creig Houghtaling 314-401-7817
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:16:13 -0600

Creig,

Ibm fairly certain youbll need them to ground the horn switch.
Anyone else see it differently?

> On Dec 8, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Me <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 13:23:52 -0700

Is that how the horn is grounded?

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 8, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Danielson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:25:56 -0500 sxlYkEaEmw7ok9Ls6WHM9jY6hI1JspNukx+7o7q1ZFzEcY/PRV Fl0NFK1khSDkdjKdAWetcrhrjCBW+vVsWQ1v9bHbz5dFTlvN66 U4rmXIgq6IyX3exSslpr7AVhiX+RyLB+zdEjoeC8H2r0OzNdiL t0UweZf5/0wIRsGSFBqtU7ReIEjJ/Fr+FIgVuQu2cGWTNF1Irf YI4278kyQvaxe0jsX+Ug+L9RWEvV5nixyFXk8G83xSIFC3dMZS UHyy/lG+UqgmXt+HWff9p5svcmluPQ6tkRXPcY1IktUc1tZ5nV gAHkNSP+TbBu/CRCChaSDBGi/EQ2qcFPdy2iXYKQx

If it's the same as a TR6, you need it for the horn ground.  Look the rubber 
couplings over carefully as they're probably split.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/
1975 Mimosa TR6
CF38503U
TBI, 5 Speed, LSD, CVJs

-----Original Message----- 
From: Creig Houghtaling
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 2:54 PM
To: Triumph List
Subject: [TR] TR4A steering shaft

I'm working on a TR4A steering shaft.  As I took it apart, it had ground 
wires

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:32:13 -0500

They are there as part of the horn circuit wiring.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:49:19 -0500

The horn will not work without at least one ground strap.  The lower half of
the shaft is adequately grounded but the upper half is not.  Ask me how I
know....................

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Creig
Houghtaling
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 2:54 PM
To: Triumph List
Subject: [TR] TR4A steering shaft

I'm working on a TR4A steering shaft.  As I took it apart, it had ground
wires linking each section of shaft across each rubber joint.  I don't see
the purpose in these wires and am considering not using them upon
reassembly.
Does anybody have a reason why I should keep the ground wire links between
each section of shaft?
Creig Houghtaling 314-401-7817
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:41:22 -0700

I'm guessing it is the ground for the horn (hah hah).

In addition to there being one at each donut there is also a braided ground
cable that goes from the rack to the frame - to complete that circuit.
Mine attaches under the bolt that is also the one removed to fit a Zerk to
the rack for lubing.

The donuts on mine are original and look perfect so perhaps you also have
the long-lived original stuff.

Also - in case it is missing on yours - the nuts/bolts that pass thru the
donuts were originally safety-wired.

Geo

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:56:31 -0600

63 tr4 - the steering wheel is bakelite?