Subject: Re: [TR] Broken speedometer cable - again-

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:59:34 -0800

> there are key areas that must remain dry [like the 
> drag cup] and
> any lube that gets on them will foul the works.  lube can 
> also attract dirt.

All very true; but I think that a single drop of 3-in-1 or similar should be OK.  Remove the cable and apply the drop of oil at the
step between the part that turns inside the speedo and the part that doesn't.  Capillary action should draw the oil into the
bushing, but hopefully no farther than that.

While you've got the cable loose, check how far the inner cable protrudes beyond the end of the outer cable.  Replacement cables
sometimes stick out too far, which can put pressure on the works and cause erratic operation.  Should be no more than 3/8" (9.5mm)
http://tinyurl.com/m7pj9qq

> I did that to one and successfully got it back together and 
> working, but
> when I was done the cost of professional gauge restoration 
> didn't seem so
> unreasonable.

All depends on what you enjoy, I guess.  I thought it was kind of fun, once I got the speedo out of the dash.  Best to take lots of
photos, so you can see where things go.  Here's a few shots I took:
http://tinyurl.com/p4oy8kk

My results were not 100% perfect, I still have a little waver in the needle.  Someday, I'll pull it out again and be a bit more
aggressive at smoothing out the rubbing surfaces on the dials and the little brass discs that ride against them.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive