Subject: Re: [TR] Speedometer Cable

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 06:29:12 -0700

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Check how much the end of the cable protrudes out of the housing (not the
> nut) with the inner cable pushed in as far as it will go.  It should be no
> more than 3/8".  If more, you need to trim it.
>

I'll add - when I cut a speedo cable I use an angle grinder -- never a
hacksaw or such -- you want to preserve the wrap of the individual wires.
For just a small adjustment you could probably just dress the end on a
grinder but take it slow.

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 05:27:15 -0700

I'm lucky to have MO-MA only a few minutes from my shop and I'm in there 
quite often. Joey, the long time employee of Margaret's, who is now the 
new owner after her passing said to me when I showed up with a hand full 
of broken angle drives that "we don't fix them much anymore" "Moss sells 
them now"
  Anyway, I had him cut some stock cable and hammer the square end (with 
an old hammer press jig) and what he does is cut the cable with plain 
dikes then dress the end on a bench grinder to give the very shallow 
angled point.
  George's method is fine too.
Dave
On 11/6/2014 6:29 AM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:42:13 -0800

I thought about using a T-Handle from a tap set as a guide/vise, but in the
end I just added a few small washers inside the nut. 
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Geo
Hahn
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 5:29 AM
To: Triumphs ([email-masked])
Subject: Re: [TR] Speedometer Cable

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> nut) with the inner cable pushed in as far as it will go.  It should 
> be no more than 3/8".  If more, you need to trim it.
>

Geo

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:02:01 +0000 (UTC)

Morning, everyone.  

I have no idea why, but the scribe marks on the original? cam and crank sprockets are missing.  I've looked close, believe me.

I'm at the point to reinstall, since they chain and gears seem fine, but am unsure how to set the chain without them.  One thing I've read is to have both #1 and #4 at TDC, the crank key facing down, and check elevation of the lift rods.  Then what?

I can always buy new, I suppose, but ISTR that people were disgrunted with quality of aftermarkets?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:25:41 +0000 (UTC)

BTW, the punch mark on the cam and the cam sprocket are aligned at 11 o'clock.  The punch marks, at least, have survived.  

So, at TDC, crank keys down, punch marks aligned, I think I'm good. ???