Subject: [TR] DNA, Bob, beer and battery

From: "Ron L'Herault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:23:09 -0500

Bob Labuz wrote:

You are correct not bitters but bitter.  I did use Coopers Bitter for my
first brew.
<snip>

And I am just 1/2 Limey. I guess that is the reason for the mis-quote.
----------------------------

I just got DNA results back from Ancestry.com and discovered some
interesting things.  1.  No native American in spite of what my parents told
me. 2 I'm something like 45% British and 25% Italian Greek.  This was a bit
of a shock since my last name is L'Herault, very French and based on a
region in southern France.  Turns out that the sphere covered by the Italian
Greek DNA stretches into southern France.   Now to bring this back on topic,
I guess the heavy British gene is why I'm driving a Triumph and not a
Citroen, and it may be why I like the darker British Ales rather than the
American stuff generally available.  Give me a Newcastle Brown or (don't' I
wish I could still get it here) McEwans Scotch Ale.

I took the battery out of my TR-6 last week after taking it for a last drive
on a warm day before the predicted cold snap.  I had to jump it to get it
going and the next day the battery was almost flat again. I had to jump it
to get it out of its stall so that I could do some work in the area so I
used the opportunity to confirm that the alternator was charging (around 14V
if I recall correctly). I gave it a full charge before putting it on the
maintainer but I think it may be holding less and less of its charge as the
days go by.   Looks like a new battery will be my first spring purchase for
the TR-6.

Ron L

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:38:19 -0500

My brewing related story needs no excuse since it has inherent Triumph
content.  I was at the auction at the 2007 VTR in Valley Forge  and I 
was
beeing introduced to the Single Malt Society (Thanks, Tom Fansher) 
and I was
chatting up another fellow when I glanced down at the auction 
and someone
was holding up an old Ballentine Beer sign.  Since the 
bidding was at about
$8 I thought I would bid.  I won.  Next thing I 
knew three guys were headed
my way, one with the sign and the other two 
with boxes of what turned out to
be a brewing kit.  My first thought 
was "Oh, crap, that's all I need,
another hobby."  I was tempted to 
take the sign home and leave the rest in
the hotel room but I have too 
much Scotts in my for that.  Since then I have
brewed at least half a 
dozen batches but they have all been kits from
Brewer's Best ( 
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/) (since that is what the
local vendors 
sell) and I have been mostly happy with the results.  I'm not
a big fan 
of hops and brewing allows me to tailor the recipe and add less
than 
the full amount of hops supplied.  This allows the flavour of the malt
to shine.

I have not done any DNA tests but the geneology research I've
seen 
suggest that I am a typical heinz 57 mut with ancestors from France,
Germany, Scotland, Ireland and quite heavily from England.  Perhaps 
that is
why I prefer my wines from France, my beer in the English style 
and the best
whisky is from Scotland.

Ok, ok, Triumph content.  My 8 (or 9) year old
Optima is giving up the 
ghost as well.  Even with the gear reduction starter
it barely turns 
over and the voltage drops so low that the ignition will not
spark and 
the car won't start.  But I will wait until spring to replace it
since 
it will be stashed away for the winter.

Dave Massey
-----Original Message-----
From: Ron L'Herault <[email-masked]>

I
guess the heavy British gene is why I'm driving a Triumph and not a
Citroen,
and it may be why I like the darker British Ales rather than 
the
American
stuff generally available.  Give me a Newcastle Brown or 
(don't' I
wish I
could still get it here) McEwans Scotch Ale.

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:08:32 +0000 (UTC)

Ronyour last name of L'Herault is very British/Englishthe last time England
was conquered by a foreign force was in 1066 by William of Normandy France. he
had some claim that he was rightfully owed the kingdom. i forget what that
claim was.after his conquest he brought many B noble men form France to give
him better allies than the conquered English. French became the language of
the nobility for some time.B but as time passed the french and old english
where intermingled to give us some of what we have today.
as one gets further south in England you discover many named places that are
obviously very french, and many street names and suburbs of London bear to
that also.my cousins are all Molyneux's another french name from the past.
despite the name they couldn't be more scouse!!
B  B and recent studies in liverpool have shown that only 12% can perform math
percentages. the other 95% have no idea what math is.
FrankB B B B 

     From: Ron L'Herault <[email-masked]>
 To: [email-masked]
 Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:23 AM
 Subject: [TR] DNA, Bob, beer and battery

Bob Labuz wrote:

You are correct not bitters but bitter.B  I did use Coopers Bitter for my
first brew.
<snip>

I just got DNA results back from Ancestry.com and discovered some
interesting things.B  1.B  No native American in spite of what my parents
told
me. 2 I'm something like 45% British and 25% Italian Greek.B  This was a bit
of a shock since my last name is L'Herault, very French and based on a
region in southern France.B  Turns out that the sphere covered by the Italian
Greek DNA stretches into southern France.B  Now to bring this back on topic,
I guess the heavy British gene is why I'm driving a Triumph and not a
Citroen, and it may be why I like the darker British Ales rather than the
American stuff generally available.B  Give me a Newcastle Brown or (don't' I
wish I could still get it here) McEwans Scotch Ale.

I took the battery out of my TR-6 last week after taking it for a last drive
on a warm day before the predicted cold snap.B  I had to jump it to get it
going and the next day the battery was almost flat again. I had to jump it
to get it out of its stall so that I could do some work in the area so I
used the opportunity to confirm that the alternator was charging (around 14V
if I recall correctly). I gave it a full charge before putting it on the
maintainer but I think it may be holding less and less of its charge as the
days go by.B  Looks like a new battery will be my first spring purchase for
the TR-6.

Ron L

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:46:29 -0500

Every country, state or even city has its rivalries.  I live halfway between
Ann Arbor and East Lansing and am more than aware of the Michigan - Michigan
State loyalties.

But the best story is when I was in medical school in Edinburgh, Scotland. I
was in a physiology lecture when the lecturer pointed out that, due to its
poor diet and lack of sunlight, Glasgow had "the highest incidence of
rickets in the civilized world".  To which a joker behind me shouted out,
"Since when has Glasgow ever been in the civilized world?"

Andrew Uprichard
Born in Ireland
Studied in Scotland
Retired in Michigan.  What??

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Frank
Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:09 PM
To: Ron L'Herault; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] DNA, Bob, beer and battery

Ronyour last name of L'Herault is very British/Englishthe last time England
was conquered by a foreign force was in 1066 by William of Normandy France.
he had some claim that he was rightfully owed the kingdom. i forget what
that claim was.after his conquest he brought many B noble men form France to
give him better allies than the conquered English. French became the
language of the nobility for some time.B but as time passed the french and
old english where intermingled to give us some of what we have today.
as one gets further south in England you discover many named places that are
obviously very french, and many street names and suburbs of London bear to
that also.my cousins are all Molyneux's another french name from the past.
despite the name they couldn't be more scouse!!
B  B and recent studies in liverpool have shown that only 12% can perform
math percentages. the other 95% have no idea what math is.
FrankB B B B 

Bob Labuz wrote:

I just got DNA results back from Ancestry.com and discovered some
interesting things.B  1.B  No native American in spite of what my parents
told me. 2 I'm something like 45% British and 25% Italian Greek.B  This was
a bit of a shock since my last name is L'Herault, very French and based on a
region in southern France.B  Turns out that the sphere covered by the
Italian Greek DNA stretches into southern France.B  Now to bring this back
on topic, I guess the heavy British gene is why I'm driving a Triumph and
not a Citroen, and it may be why I like the darker British Ales rather than
the American stuff generally available.B  Give me a Newcastle Brown or
(don't' I wish I could still get it here) McEwans Scotch Ale.

Ron L

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:45:00 -0500

What's the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Being posh in
Edinburgh means you have one of those fancy tile roofs.
Being posh in Glasgow
means you have a roof.

Dave Massey, chairman, Piping and Drumming
Competition,
St. Louis Scottish Games and Cultural Festival
http://www.stlouis-scottishgames.com/

(BTW that is pronounced "Edinbora)
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]>
Every country, state or even city has its rivalries.  I live halfway 
between
Ann Arbor and East Lansing and am more than aware of the Michigan - 
Michigan
State loyalties.

But the best story is when I was in medical school in
Edinburgh, 
Scotland. I
was in a physiology lecture when the lecturer
pointed out that, due to 
its
poor diet and lack of sunlight, Glasgow had
"the highest incidence of
rickets in the civilized world".  To which a joker
behind me shouted 
out,
"Since when has Glasgow ever been in the civilized
world?"

Andrew Uprichard
Born in Ireland
Studied in Scotland
Retired in
Michigan.  What??