Subject: [TR] Bardahl oil additive

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:53:16 -0400

Listers,

I'm in the process of replacing the thrust washers, rod and main bearings
on the 62,000 mile 72 TR6 that I recently purchased (preventitive
maintenance).  After dropping the pan I've found what appears to be a
whitish/silverish substance coating most of the inside of the engine
block.  The bottom of the oil pan after draining also seemed to have a
coating of the same substance.   Rubbing the substance with my gloved
finger doesn't really come away with anything noticeable on the glove.

At first I thought it might be from condensation since the car hasn't been
started for over 5 years but the more I thought about it I began to think
it might be some sort of additive.  I contacted the seller and sure enough,
he informed me he had religiously changed oil every 2000 miles and always
used an additive called Bardahl.  You can check it out via the following
link.

http://www.bardahl.com/en/products/oil-additives/b-1-oil-supplement

I've pulled the rear main bearing cap and the bearing looks brand new and
the crank journal looks like it has no miles on it.  I remember years ago
my dad religiously used STP oil treatment on all of his vehicles and he
never had issues with the engines in his vehicles.

I'm somewhat impressed with the looks of the bearings and journal.  Anyone
else ever use Bardahl's additive?  I'm not sure if I should continue using
it or not.  I will be regularly changing oil using Brad Penn's 20w50
semi-synthetic oil.

Thanks!

Brad

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:14:16 -0500 (CDT)

Brad, I own a 72 TR6 myself.

On the link you provided, it states that the product is for "new engines".  Yours is not that!

I also converted from Castrol 20W-50 to Brad Penn myself several years ago after sending oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis.  It was the ZDDP thing.

If it was me, I would do what you plan on with Brad Penn and forget about the additive.

Enjoy,
Craig

On 10/21/14, Brad Kahler<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
Listers,

Thanks!

Brad

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:22:52 -0400

Craig,

Well....it's "new" to me :)

Other responses I've received all agree with what you've stated.

I'll stick with the Brad Penn oil and move onto the next task on the list.

Thanks!

Brad

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I also converted from Castrol 20W-50 to Brad Penn myself several years ago
> after sending oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis.  It was the ZDDP
> thing.
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]