Subject: Re: [TR] Need a TR3 Distributor

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:16:36 -0700

On 10/4/14, 3:32 PM, Jonas Payne wrote:
> If anybody has a TR3 Distributor for sale, please contact me offline.
>
> I've got a TR3 powered Morgan +4 in the shop that has a Mallory dist with
> petronix - it's going in the trash.
Dare I ask why?

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 16:39:12 -0700

I swapped in the lucas dist from my TR3 and the car runs like a Swiss watch.

With the Mallory and Petronix, - Inability to hold timing, random missing,
timing that's all over the map at various RPM, poor running, hesitating,
coughing.  I've had the strobe on it for 15 minutes - there's no pattern.  

Was on the phone with Jeff from Advance a while back discussing the fact
that the Mallory's are essentially "disposable" and good for about 20k
miles.  Have no reason to doubt him.

I'm a big fan of keeping things like this stock............I have no
interest in trying to sort out the "black box".  Whatever the issue with the
petronix and Mallory is - it's broken, I don't really care what it is.  Not
a big fan of Petronix regardless, although many people love them.

The reality is that it's more cost effective for my customer to simply
replace it with a known quantity than to try to figure out what's going on
the aftermarket junk.  If I was playing with my own stuff, my time would be
free and I'd try to figure it out, but I'm on the clock and the easiest
solution here happens to be the least expensive for the customer.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn
J. Wakeman
Sent: Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Need a TR3 Distributor

On 10/4/14, 3:32 PM, Jonas Payne wrote:
> I've got a TR3 powered Morgan +4 in the shop that has a Mallory dist 
> with petronix - it's going in the trash.
Dare I ask why?

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]