Subject: [TR] Headlight Update, Update

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:48:39 -0700

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to my noob questions! Lots of different
advice, but that's what's made all this so informative and interesting for me.
I think I'll give the halogen bulbs a try in my PL700 and see how they compare
to new units, which I've also ordered. I do plan to go with a relay, and
upgrading the wiring makes sense from both a safety and lighting power point
of view. Do I really not need to be concerned about the effects of the extra
wattage bulbs on the headlamp fixture, though? I thought it was always a bad
idea to exceed the wattage a light fixture recommends. Perhaps 15w isn't
enough to worry about?

Thanks.

b Jeff

1962 Triumph TR4
Surrey Top
Overdrive
Grey with Blue Stripes

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:29:38 -0700

> Do I
> really not need to be concerned about the effects of the extra wattage
bulbs on
> the headlamp fixture, though? I thought it was always a bad idea to exceed
the
> wattage a light fixture recommends. Perhaps 15w isn't enough to worry
about?

I'd certainly say not, especially considering that there is a 60 watt
factory configuration listed for TR3A (high beam for LHD home market cars).
The design leaves plenty of space around both inner and outer bulbs as well
as the bucket and there are no flammable materials nearby.  I did several
long trips with 90/120 bulbs and saw no signs of overheating anywhere after
the car got wrecked.  Didn't particularly like the look, but Man, did they
light up the road on a dark night!  (I originally ordered the 80/90 bulbs,
but one of them was bad and the replacements the vendor sent were the
90/120s.)

Randall