Subject: [TR] What's that noise?

From: "Peter Arakelian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:23:37 -0700

OK, I have an odd, to me, sound that I am hoping someone has heard and can
tell me about.

First, think about a piece of aluminum or plastic, like a coke can or plastic
water bottle already flattened.  The sound it makes when you run over it -
that's sort of like it.  Happens once in a while, within about 10 yards of
starting off in first.  Sometimes followed by a sound more like the actual
crushing of the can.  It happens once only, does not continue and not every
time, just once in a while.  More rarely I can feel a slight bump, happens so
rarely not sure if I am feeling it in my hand through the gear shift lever or
in the seat of my pants.  At first I thought the differential mounts had
cracked, but they seem to look OK as do the front suspension mounts.  I cannot
make it happen at will.  If I swerve the car side to side at any speed - no
sound all seems well.  If I get on and off the gas hard in first at very slow
speed - no sound.   On and off in any other gear, no sound.  Can happen when I
go slow over a bump into the driveway or as I am driving away from the gas
pump.  The car drives and shifts fine.  I have shaken the car on the ground,
jacked up each corner and shaken and rubber hammered various components -
nothing.

Whatcha think?

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver - stock, non-OD transmission

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive