Subject: Re: [TR] Very early 3A question

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:49:29 -0700

On 10/18/14, 7:51 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>   
> 2. No "TRIUMPH" lettering across the front.  These are both TR3 attributes
> and my question is this car too far away from the break point for these to
> be considered correct or has someone been blending cars?
>
We had this discussion on the list about 20 years ago.

Triumph TR3Bs and maybe a few very late TR3As used the ribless TR4 style 
lettering that had mounting studs in a different location from the 
ribbed TR3 lettering.  Starting when the second set of lettering went 
into production Triumph manufactured factory replacement front valances 
without holes for the lettering.  When a TR3 came into a shop with front 
valence damage and a new factory replacement was ordered it came without 
the lettering holes.  The shop was supposed to drill the proper set of 
holes for the lettering.  Dealers probably had a hole template and 
drilled the holes and non-dealer body shops probably didn't drill the 
holes.  So all a front valence that does not have holes for lettering 
tells you is that the front valance was replaced sometime between around 
1963 and when the factory ran out of replacement front valences.

My initial thought on the replacement boot lid is that someone likely 
had a luggage rack and loaded it too heavily denting the boot lid.  
Factor boot lids are not overly strong and it doesn't take a huge amount 
of weight to leave dents where the luggage rack sits. Of course it could 
have been from rust issues but the whole vehicle would have a number of 
rust issues before a boot lid would need replacing.

If you are looking for a decent driver those two items shouldn't be an 
issue.  If you are a rivet counter interested in concourse those should 
be easy fixes.

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:10:42 -0500

Thanks TeriAnn, forgot about the possibility of a replacement front valance.
As to the boot lid, would it require modifications to the body opening to
accept the side latches?

Car sounds like a good driver, what the buyer is looking for.  Going to see it
this afternoon and go for a ride.

All the best,
Bill B

Sent from mobile Bill

Triumph TR3Bs and maybe a few very late TR3As used the ribless TR4 style
lettering that had mounting studs in a different location from the ribbed TR3
lettering.  Starting when the second set of lettering went into production
Triumph manufactured factory replacement front valances without holes for the
lettering.  When a TR3 came into a shop with front valence damage and a new
factory replacement was ordered it came without the lettering holes.  The shop
was supposed to drill the proper set of holes for the lettering.  Dealers
probably had a hole template and drilled the holes and non-dealer body shops
probably didn't drill the holes.  So all a front valence that does not have
holes for lettering tells you is that the front valance was replaced sometime
between around 1963 and when the factory ran out of replacement front
valences.

My initial thought on the replacement boot lid is that someone likely had a
luggage rack and loaded it too heavily denting the boot lid.  Factor boot lids
are not overly strong and it doesn't take a huge amount of weight to leave
dents where the luggage rack sits. Of course it could have been from rust
issues but the whole vehicle would have a number of rust issues before a boot
lid would need replacing.

If you are looking for a decent driver those two items shouldn't be an issue.
If you are a rivet counter interested in concourse those should be easy
fixes.

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:58:20 -0700

According to Piggott, some cars did still have the 'budget' locks on the
boot, until TS23920.  So that part may actually be as original.

As noted, replacement front aprons didn't come with the holes, even
aftermarket replacements.

Randall