Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 glove box door

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 14:32:44 +0000

While my glove box door (on the TR4A with wood dash) doesn't drop down while
driving, the latch mechanism really isn't holding it in place and I can open
the door without pushing the button.  I too would like to hear experiences in
fixing this.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brad
Kahler
Sent: October-02-14 9:17 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] TR4 glove box door

The glove box door on my TR4 keeps popping open while driving.  I've looked at
the parts books to see if there is supposed be any sort of adjustable bracket
or plate that might be missing and none are indicated.

The sheet metal lip does not look to be bent or deformed and the tip of the
latch mechanism doesn't seem to be worn.  My only assumption is that over
there years there has been enough tweaking and twisting going on that there
just isn't enough contact between the latch and the metal tab.

Anyone have a been there done that solution?

Thanks!

Brad

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 10:38:03 -0600

Is there any adjustment possible on the hinges? Maybe move the whole glove box
door up a bit towards the latch. If it were me Id bend the crap out of the
door until a new one was required. ;)

Maybe the spring pushing the catch up on the door is dirty/weak.

Bud

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Oct 2, 2014, at 7:16 AM, Brad Kahler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The glove box door on my TR4 keeps popping open while driving.  I've looked
> at the parts books to see if there is supposed be any sort of adjustable
> bracket or plate that might be missing and none are indicated.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:47:28 -0400

My TR6 does the same thing but I don't have the factory latch plate.  I 
had
a modified something that didn't work very well so I made one of my 
own
which still doesn't work well.  The problem is fundamental in the 
design and
everything has to be adjusted just so.  Too tight and it 
doesn't latch.  Too
loose and it won't open.

Have you tried shimming the tab?

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
To:
Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Oct 2, 2014 11:54 am
Subject:
[TR] TR4 glove box door

The glove box door on my TR4 keeps popping open
while driving.  I've 
looked
at the parts books to see if there is supposed
be any sort of adjustable
bracket or plate that might be missing and none are
indicated.

The sheet metal lip does not look to be bent or deformed and the
tip of 
the
latch mechanism doesn't seem to be worn.  My only assumption is
that 
over
there years there has been enough tweaking and twisting going on
that 
there
just isn't enough contact between the latch and the metal tab.
Anyone have a been there done that solution?

Thanks!

Brad

**
[email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 14:06:47 -0400

I've looked several different times to see if there was anything that could
be adjusted or tweaked but didn't see anything obvious.  I guess I'll have
to take a closer look.

Bud's suggestion about the hinges are worth looking into and will check
that tonight as well.

I'm not sure I can picture what JonMac was trying to describe but not
having the glove box in front of me while reading it probably has something
to do with that.
It looks like tonight will be glove box night in the shop :)  I'll post a
reply once I take a much more in depth look at what I have.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

> had a modified something that didn't work very well so I made one of my own
> which still doesn't work well.  The problem is fundamental in the design
> and everything has to be adjusted just so.  Too tight and it doesn't
> latch.  Too loose and it won't open.
>
> To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 19:55:54 -0400

Well, Bud was right.  There was an adjustment to the hinge that I couldn't
see until I took out the glove box, got down in the foot well and twisted
around until I could see where the hinge fastened to the facia.  Loosened
the four nuts and there was plenty of adjustment to make it fit and close
properly.

Of course removing the glove box exposed issues with how some PO installed
the replacement glove box that had been installed.  The screws were to long
and to large a diameter to work properly.  So now I need to order a new
glove box and screws.  Always something :)

Thanks all!

Brad

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Bud R <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is there any adjustment possible on the hinges? Maybe move the whole glove
> box door up a bit towards the latch. If it were me Ibd bend the crap out
of
> the door until a new one was required. ;)
>