Subject: Re: [TR] Bardahl oil additive

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:24:00 -0700

Just my opinion but 62,000 miles with frequent oil changes is more likely
the reason for the good conditions you are encountering.

In addition, it is my understanding that main bearings do not wear nearly
as much as big end bearings if everything is correct.

Geo

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Brad Kahler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I'm in the process of replacing the thrust washers, rod and main bearings
> on the 62,000 mile 72 TR6 that I recently purchased (preventitive
> maintenance).  After dropping the pan I've found what appears to be a
> whitish/silverish substance coating most of the inside of the engine
> block.  The bottom of the oil pan after draining also seemed to have a
> coating of the same substance.   Rubbing the substance with my gloved
> finger doesn't really come away with anything noticeable on the glove.
>
> At first I thought it might be from condensation since the car hasn't been
> started for over 5 years but the more I thought about it I began to think
> it might be some sort of additive.  I contacted the seller and sure enough,
> he informed me he had religiously changed oil every 2000 miles and always
> used an additive called Bardahl.  You can check it out via the following
> link.
>
> http://www.bardahl.com/en/products/oil-additives/b-1-oil-supplement
>
> I've pulled the rear main bearing cap and the bearing looks brand new and
> the crank journal looks like it has no miles on it.  I remember years ago
> my dad religiously used STP oil treatment on all of his vehicles and he
> never had issues with the engines in his vehicles.
>
> I'm somewhat impressed with the looks of the bearings and journal.  Anyone
> else ever use Bardahl's additive?  I'm not sure if I should continue using
> it or not.  I will be regularly changing oil using Brad Penn's 20w50
> semi-synthetic oil.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Brad
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:37:59 +0100

Brad

I think you'll get an endless variation of thoughts on this one. I've heard
of Bardahl down the years, though never seen it on sale in the UK. My guess
is it has helpful anti-wear additives in it that might well have been
beneficial 30 or more years back when engine oils were not nearly as
sophisticated as today. It seems to make similar claims to another product
called Molyslip which had a high content of molybdenum disulphide. Moly was
OK in engines but not anywhere where there were non-ferrous metals. But back
in the day, I vaguely recall you used Bardahl / Molyslip / STP in an engine
that had some wear. If put in a new engine that had hardly bedded down was
counter-productive and actually inhibited the essential 'wearing out'
process that's so vital in the first few thousand miles. When you get the
car running again, I think I'd just use the oil you plan to adopt without an
additive though I have no thoughts on the ZDDP aspects as it's not an issue
for  us on this side of the pond.

Jonmac

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:18:58 -0400

Jonmac, your comments basically match what I am thinking.  I'm going to
change the bearings and thrust washers and move on to the next item on my
hit list :)

Brad