Subject: [TR] what's that noise? update

From: "Peter Arakelian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:32:49 -0700

Want to thank all for input.

I had some say it was brake noise:  I checked brakes all looks well.  When I
backed the front pads off the and flicked the metal shims it was a noise of
similar tone, but all looked and functioned well.

Some said rear hubs:  I jacked up the rear end pulled & pushed, wobbled
vertically & horizontally - no play.

Some said u-joints - here it got interesting.  One of the rare noises it makes
sometimes when it does make its tinny sound is a slight bump or knock.  It has
also made the tinny sound most often when I pull into my driveway over the
bump in transition from street to driveway.  I do this at an angle, slowly.
As the right rear wheels come up over the bump - noise.  So I will inspect
u-joints next.

Keep all advised.

Again thanks to all, if anyone thinks of more, please don't hesitate...

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dixie4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 01:52:50 -0000

Peter,
When thinking of buying a TR6 a number of years ago I took along a TR 
specialist. One of the tests he carried out on the road test was to drive at 
very slow speed in a tight circle on full lock, both left and right.
Apparently this test would show up worn driveshafts. I am sorry, I forget 
what kind of noise he was listening for.
Perhaps this may help isolate your problem.

Regards,

Adrian
TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Arakelian" <[email-masked]>
To: "Listers" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:32 PM
Subject: [TR] what's that noise? update

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2015.0.5315 / Virus Database: 4189/8476 - Release Date: 10/29/14

---

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:27:25 -0400

I had an odd noise in my 4A IRS which turned out to be a slightly loose brake
mounting bolt.

As for u joints, when I bought the car the driveshaft had a bad vibration
which appeared to be bad phase alignment if the 2 halves.  When I corrected
the alignment of the yokes, the vibration was unbelievably worse.  The front
ujoint was demolished and had bots and pieces of the rollers inside the cups.
After that I had a very slight vibration.  And I checked the other 5 ujoints.
One had a noticeable click when twisted by hand.  It was also in terrible
shape.  Then I really tested the others and one had the most subtle click.  It
too was bad.  The others seemed ok, but I replaced them anyway.  It turned out
that all but one were really on bad shape.

So don't discount the possibility of bad  but in my case they created a
vibration, not a noise.

-Tony

On Oct 30, 2014, at 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:32:49 -0700
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>