Subject: Re: [TR] Hypothetical

From: Brian Induni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:07:38 -0700

I like where your head is Bill. Just so we're clear, when you say NOS, you
are talking about New Old Stock and not re-creating new parts, correct?

Although I believe there are a good number of people in the US who are
attempting to collect dead or nearly dead classic cars to create an
original part supply, I haven't seen much effort around NOS. And I'll echo
the thoughts already spoken here - we need ALL good quality parts at a
reasonable price! I've been restoring classic cars for 40 years and it's
been a roller coaster of quality and prices.

Body panels are the first on MY list. I have yet to get a decent panel that
is even close to fitting without MAJOR massaging. Of course, there are only
a couple of manufacturers of these panels, so we're kinda stuck.

Mechanical components are a real hit or miss. Quality control from the
major suppliers seems to the biggest issue. Latest example: I've bought
early MGB water pumps from different suppliers, all claiming to be correct,
and they were not even close to being similar to each other. Fortunately,
I'm extremely mechanically inclined, have access to CAD, 3D printing, and a
machine shop, so I can modify or make just about anything. But when I buy a
new slave cylinder for an early MGB (latest project = top of mind issues)
and it doesn't have the support pads on it, it's frustrating. That cylinder
is NFG as it will crack with use, so I have to modify it.

I'm more inclined to re-create or restore a part than buy new because of
the aforementioned quality issue. I'll buy NOS to save some time, but
rarely to save money.

Parts I've bought directly from the UK for the Stag seem to have a little
better quality control, except for rubber components like seals. Parts I've
bought for the Stag from a US supplier were crap. Again, a little quality
control goes a long way!

Long winded (as usual) to say: I'd be interested in various common
restoration parts but not maintenance parts. I'd be interested in original
interior patterns to take to my upholsterer.

Hope that helps!

Brian

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:41:33 -0700
> From: William Pugh <[email-masked]>
> To: TR3/6 <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [TR] Hypothetical
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> If the Triumph Community had access to parts that were NOS and or Better,
> just
> what parts would it want?
> This is a serious question, and is not an infringement on Moss, Roadster
> Factory or anyone else.
> It will remain Hypothetical until we understand the needs.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> "Life is too short to drive boring cars"
>
> Bill Pugh
> 1957 TR3 "Casper"p  ;
> TS16765L
> Wallace, CA
> [email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive