Subject: Re: [TR] What's that noise?

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:59:54 -0500

Peter,

Have you pulled the rear wheels and looked inside the brake drums?  Or, a
loose disc pad?

Just thinking,
Bill B
'62 TR3B

Sent from mobile Bill

On Oct 25, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Peter Arakelian <[email-masked]> wrote:

  OK, I have an odd, to me, sound that I am hoping someone has heard and can
tell me about.

First, think about a piece of aluminum or plastic, like a coke can or plastic
water bottle already flattened.  The sound it makes when you run over it -
that's sort of like it.  Happens once in a while, within about 10 yards of
starting off in first.  Sometimes followed by a sound more like the actual
crushing of the can.  It happens once only, does not continue and not every
time, just once in a while.  More rarely I can feel a slight bump, happens so
rarely not sure if I am feeling it in my hand through the gear shift lever or
in the seat of my pants.  At first I thought the differential mounts had
cracked, but they seem to look OK as do the front suspension mounts.  I
cannot
make it happen at will.  If I swerve the car side to side at any speed - no
sound all seems well.  If I get on and off the gas hard in first at very slow
speed - no sound.   On and off in any other gear, no sound.  Can happen when
I
go slow over a bump into the driveway or as I am driving away from the gas
pump.  The car drives and shifts fine.  I have shaken the car on the ground,
jacked up each corner and shaken and rubber hammered various components -
nothing.

Whatcha think?

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver - stock, non-OD transmission

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 00:04:13 +0000 (UTC)

>crushing of the can.  

I have absolutely no idea.  But it does sound like it's in the running gear. You've checked the driveline.  Tranny shifts normal.  I'm wondering if there's something in the brake system that seizes occasionally when you stop the car, and moving unlocks it making that sound?  ...Or something inside the axle shaft?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:43:27 -0400

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Peter Arakelian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> starting off in first.

Almost certainly a universal joint...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.