Subject: [TR] TR4A Top Installation Question

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:56:29 -0400

Good Morning,
I am about half way through installing a new top on my TR4A and I have a
question or two but here is where I am at this point.

I have the rear of the top attached to the rear mounting bracket but I ended
up not using the male lift-a-dot studs that are riveted to the brackets that
Moss sells. The "rivet" part of the stud was too short to actually swage over.
So, I went to the fastener aisle of my local McCabe hardware store and lo and
behold, there was a box of lift-a-dot fasteners! There in the box were male
lift-a-dot studs with a machine thread end! I was able to use those to attach
the rear of the top to the rear mounting frame/bracket. The rear of the top is
now attached!
I have the webbing threaded through the slot in the bracket and ready to
pop-rivet to the frames. By the way, the webbing kit straps didn't have loops
sewn into an end to slide the metal pins slide into so I had to sew those in.
(Once my wife threaded a needle for me).
I am wondering if I should wait to attach the webbing to the top frame until
after I stretch the top? It would seem that would be the preferred method as
those top frame cross bows are supposed to end up under each seam in the top
and right now the position of those bows could change slightly as the top is
stretched?
My other question is how do I attach the webbing to the front of the top
frame? I wonder if I am supposed to thread it under the latches maybe??
I updated my website with pictures of the top installation if you want to see
what I have done so far.

http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a  If you click on Check My Progress and then
click on the top link you can get there..

If the sun comes out today, I will pull the car outside and let the top warm
up so I can stretch it. It's cloudy right now but it's early too.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive