Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 windshield swap

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:46:17 -0400

The webbing supplied by the usual sources is thicker than the original and
there is no way I or a local auto glass shop could get the new glass in
place.  We tried gluing the webbing to  the glass and using plenty of soap,
but here was no way.  Ended up using a caulk adhesive to secure the new
glass.

Andrew Uprichard
been there, done that

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of dave n
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 windshield swap

late 57 small mouth

Ibm about to swap out the windshield; the old one is delaminating.

any guides/directions or hints?

thanks

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:00:15 +0000 (UTC)

The 3 suppliers have taken to selling you flat neoprenesheet to use as a
gasket. Like most on the list I could not get the darn stuffto work. And I
work in the glazing industry for 43 years. Even 3 guys tryingcould not get it
to work.

B 
So what I did was to wet seal the windshield into place.

I first cut strips of electrical tape B>b long.

I then wrapped them around the edge of the glass. B<b onthe front, B<b is
the glass, B<b on the back.

I built up the wraps on top of each other until theymeasured the same
thickness as the space in the frame. I think it may have been7 wraps. Measure
to be sure.

I put 5 sets across the width and 3 in the height.

I then jammed the glass into the frame.

Make sure the margin of glass in the frame is the sameall round and not in the
way of the tenex.

Then I laid the glass down and caulked the glass intoplace with Dow 795
silicon sealant.

The tape in effect acted as a spacer.

When caulking do not bpullb the gun away from thecaulking bead. Instead
bpushb the gun into the caulking bead. That will forcethe caulk down
between the glass and the frame.

B 
When I say donbt bpullb the caulking bead, its exactlywhat the guy on
the flex seal TV advertisement is doing. That is the wrong wayto caulk.

B 
Clean up by gently scraping the wet caulk off thesurfaces you donbt want it
on with a flat razor.

B 
Good luck.

B 
If I recall vic brit had the best price.

     On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:41 AM, dave n <[email-masked]> wrote:

 late 57 small mouth

thanks

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:22:16 -0400

I took my windshield to a local glass shop and they installed the 
windshield
in the frame for me and charged me only $50.  Well worth it 
considering risk
involved.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: dave n
<[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Oct 21,
2014 1:59 pm
Subject: [TR] TR3 windshield swap

late 57 small mouth

any
guides/directions or hints?

thanks

** [email-masked] **
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]