Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Ball Joint

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:04:42 -0700

Do the pegs match the holes?  If so, I'd guess you've got one of the
"lubricated for life" (it's life, not yours) replacement parts.

Otherwise, it may have been a wrong part (which may explain why it failed).

Check the hole in the VL carefully as well.  It should have an obvious taper
to it, with a smooth straight surface inside the taper.  If the old joint
was loose for very long, or someone modified the VL to accept the wrong ball
joint, then you need a new VL.  If the taper in the VL doesn't match the
taper on the ball joint exactly, it will fail again eventually.

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 18:48:06 -0400

So happens I just looked at the Moss catalog listing for TR4 A ball joints -
it lists a "permanently lubricated" joint - which would have no grease zerk -
sounds like that's what u have

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 6, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Greetings. I'm looking to get my TR4 back on the road by reconnecting the
> vertical link to the ball joint. Strange thing is that my ball joint
doesn't
> look like what's pictured in the STANPART guide or any of the usual
vendors'
> catalogs. The top of the ball joint is completely flat; it has no opening
for
> a grease nipple. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> b Jeff
>
> 1962 Triumph TR4
> Surrey Top
> Overdrive
> Grey with Blue Stripes
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 16:02:17 -0700

Thanks, Randall. I'll check out the VL when I get the wheel off. In my desire
to quickly get the weight off the front right corner, I neglected to loosen
the lug nuts before getting the car up on axle stands!

> On 6 Oct 2014, at 11:04 AM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 16:02:56 -0700

You're right! I'd looked at the Moss catalog too, but stopped at the pictures
of the early and later ball joints show grease nipples. I didn't notice that
the description for the latter says it's permanently lubricated. Thanks!

Interestingly, TRF sells early and late ball joints, but both appear to have
grease nipples.

> On 6 Oct 2014, at 3:48 PM, Jack Mc <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
doesn't
vendors'
for