Subject: Re: [TR] Source for drain plug

From: Chad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:26:33 -0700

Here is one source:  WP114587 Countersink Plug - Grainger Industrial Supply
None of my TR's have brass plugs, though.

 

WP114587 Countersink Plug - Grainger Industrial Supply
Shop GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Countersink Plug (WP114587) at Grainger. Fast & convenient for the ones who get it done!  
View on www.grainger.com Preview by Yahoo  

Chad in Tulsa.

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:21 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

I am looking for a source for the brass drain plug for the gearbox and rear differential for a 72 TR6.

The square head plugs being sold are a pain.  The brass one sits smooth and you use an Allen wrench as for removal.

Thanks,

Craig
72 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:46:51 -0700

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But I prefer the steel magnetic ones rather than brass.
>

Me too, except the magnets in the ones I got from Moss were pretty wimpy.
I dug them out and replaced them with rare earth button magnets (JBWeld).

I have seen a TR3A gearbox that had a broken tooth floating around in it
until one day the tooth got caught in the gears.  They found many of the
pieces along the road including the gear that had originally lost a tooth -
it was an old break.  They never did find the driveshaft from that car.  My
hope is that, in the unlikely event of a tooth breaking off, that magnet
would be enough to hold it out of harm's way.

I have also seen a TR6 with a drain plug added that was noticeably smaller
than the fill plug or gear box drain plug.

Geo