Subject: [TR] TR4 Flasher burnout

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 19:58:26 -0700

I've burned through 4 flasher units over the past year or so.  What gives?
Yesterday I checked to make sure all bulbs are correct. Flasher worked
perfectly in the driveway with engine off.  Once I drove away, the unit
quickly failed.
I now have the unit's socket jumped with a wire from the X to L. The signal
lights can be waggled by the switch.
Is there a voltage surge of some sort? The unit definitely overheats and
becomes too hot too touch.  Does that mean I should not run with the jumper
wire?
I've been using a Wathem so-called Heavy Duty Flasher 550. Wouldn't expect
this to be the problem. Not with four having burnt out.
Voltage regulator?

Many thanks for your help, as always.

John

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:42:22 -0700

> I've burned through 4 flasher units over the past year or so. 

What are you using for fuses?

I'm thinking there must be an intermittent short in the turn signal wiring, but normally that would pop the fuse.  However, if
you've got an AGC 35 in there, the flasher might burn up instead.

Could still be something like that, so I might try putting an 5 amp fuse in the jumper; drive around a bit with first one side and
then the other on constantly and see if/when it blows.  Or better yet, since it evidently takes about 3 months to happen, add the
fuse in series with the flasher semi-permanently.

- Randall

---

From: Rich White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 08:20:07 -0500

I would modify Randall's idea and put a fuse in both legs at the same time and
cut the troubleshooting time in half.

Rich White Central, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF###L
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:42:22 -0700
> Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Flasher burnout
>
> I'm thinking there must be an intermittent short in the turn signal wiring,
but normally that would pop the fuse.  However, if
> Could still be something like that, so I might try putting an 5 amp fuse in
the jumper; drive around a bit with first one side and
> then the other on constantly and see if/when it blows.  Or better yet, since
it evidently takes about 3 months to happen, add the
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]