Subject: [TR] TR2/3 - rocker shaft install

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:33:58 -0400

Hello List:
Just about to re-torque head bolts and wondering if there is a more easy 
and positive way to re- install the rocker shaft? Worried about loading 
the pushrods and possibly damaging them; also asking about an easier way 
to start setting valve clearances with all rockers backed off.
Would leaving the engine at TDC on #1 compression before removing shaft, 
then starting here help the process?
Looking for any tips on this job. Unfortunately, I have a solid re-cored 
rad and have lost my hand cranking feature. Have to bump & grind engine 
through the partial revolutions to find the sweet spots.
Thanks for any guidance and tips on this one.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:28:46 +0000

---- Angelo Graham <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Worried about loading 
> the pushrods and possibly damaging them; 

The only concern here is that you don't want to have an adjuster set too long and get the spring into coil bind.  That can't happen if the valve is closed.  So just back off on the couple of adjusters where the pushrod is visibly high.  Or you can just keep an eye on the valve spring coils as you gradually tighten the rocker shaft nuts, and back off on any that are getting close to coil bind.

If you are putting back the same shaft that came off, without disturbing the adjustments (eg after re-torquing head nuts), then don't even worry about it.  The adjustments will already be within a few .001", too close to run into problems.

My favorite method for setting valves is to turn the engine with the starter until one cylinder is very close to where the exhaust is closing and the intake opening (the overlap period).  That means the cylinder that is opposite in the firing sequence is ready to have it's valves adjusted.  So if, for example, #1 comes up on overlap, adjust #4.  Then go a half revolution until #3 is on overlap, and adjust #2.  Another half turn and #4 will be on overlap, so set #1.  Once more, #2 on overlap, set #3.

Randall