Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 - gearshift vibration

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:24:58 -0700

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

...They also tried adding a brace (later on, TR4A maybe) to the top cover,
> and even a rubber-mounted counterweight on some models.
>

Here's the brace that came on my TR4, it also has the heavy weight strapped
to the tailshaft.

http://goo.gl/LJUXLv

This was 1964 and I guess (as Randall explains) they were trying everything
they could think of.  Maybe it works -- I don't notice the vibration you
describe.

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "D&BLambert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:11:31 -0700

I've also been battling the vibrating/rattling gearshift lever on my TR3A
for some time now.  A few years ago (maybe 20K miles) I replaced the
driveshaft u-joints and had the shaft balanced.  Some months ago I got a
copy of the Service Bulletin (mine is a little different than the one Randal
posted) concerning gearshift rattles and performed the recommendations:  I
enlarged the trapezoid hole in the lever cap, and also tried the short piece
of rubber tubing on the lever, neither of which made a bit of difference,
except for making it much more difficult to shift into reverse.  I've
machined some shims/buffers out of Delrin for under the cap to prevent metal
to metal contact in that area.  No luck.  I tried a stiffer/weaker gear
lever spring.  No difference.  I tried hollowing out the gearshift knob and
epoxying in a metal slug for dampening, again no luck.  On that note, I have
tried at least 4 different gear shift knobs (including an original hard
rubber one) with no change in the vibration.  The vibration and resultant
chatter/rattle is much more sever when accelerating.  I'm now into the habit
of steering with one hand and holding the gear lever with the other to
somewhat dampen the rattle.  I'm kind of out of ideas, so I am following
this thread closely.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Is the torpedo-shaped
counter weight available anywhere?  Does it really do anything? Couldn't I
just make one out of a slug of steel and fab a bracket of some sort, or does
it have to be a certain weight to cancel a specific harmonic?  I dunno....
Any suggestions?  Perhaps I need to revisit the driveshaft/u-joints?
Thanks for wading through this.
Dennis

> 
> > There is a service bulletin (which
> > I don't seem to have handy, will try to post tonight) about
> > putting a piece of rubber hose on the shift lever inside the
> > spring.
> 
> Found it, finally.
> http://goo.gl/Hpn6Rb
> 
> >  They also tried adding a brace (later on, TR4A
> > maybe) to the top cover, and even a rubber-mounted
> > counterweight on some models.
> 
> According to the TR4 SPC, the brace was all TR4 (although there were two
> different versions); the counterweight only gearbox CT17815
> through CT35719.
> 
> Randall

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:50:05 -0600

It sounds to me like it's time to open the gear box and check the needle 
bearings on the counter shaft and the ball bearings on the main shaft.. 
also the side wear on the shifter forks. They are bronze (like) and new 
brass/bronze welding rod can be tinned on to renew spacing.. dave
On 9/4/2014 4:11 PM, D&B Lambert wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 19:49:39 -0700

Hmmm... I have the HVDA conversion and I get the rattle, so not sure if the
pear shaped weight does much good. The ball end of shifter shaft has a
little ball and spring in it that's, as I understand it, put there to reduce
the rattles. Mine doesn't do it all the time, mostly when just cruising at
constant speed. It's annoying now that I've got most of the other 100+
rattles out.

Johnnie
'67 TR4A IRS

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> D&BLambert
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 3:12 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 - gearshift vibration
> 
for some
> time now.  A few years ago (maybe 20K miles) I replaced the driveshaft
u-joints
> and had the shaft balanced.  Some months ago I got a copy of the Service
Bulletin
> (mine is a little different than the one Randal
> enlarged the trapezoid hole in the lever cap, and also tried the short
piece of rubber
> tubing on the lever, neither of which made a bit of difference, except for
making it
> much more difficult to shift into reverse.  I've machined some
shims/buffers out of
> Delrin for under the cap to prevent metal to metal contact in that area.
No luck.  I
> tried a stiffer/weaker gear lever spring.  No difference.  I tried
hollowing out the
> gearshift knob and epoxying in a metal slug for dampening, again no luck.
On that
> note, I have tried at least 4 different gear shift knobs (including an
original hard
> chatter/rattle is much more sever when accelerating.  I'm now into the
habit of
> steering with one hand and holding the gear lever with the other to
somewhat
> dampen the rattle.  I'm kind of out of ideas, so I am following this
thread closely.
> Anyone have any other ideas?  Is the torpedo-shaped counter weight
available
> anywhere?  Does it really do anything? Couldn't I just make one out of a
slug of
> steel and fab a bracket of some sort, or does it have to be a certain
weight to
> cancel a specific harmonic?  I dunno....
> > > I don't seem to have handy, will try to post tonight) about putting
> > > a piece of rubber hose on the shift lever inside the spring.
> >
> > Found it, finally.
> > http://goo.gl/Hpn6Rb
> >
> > > maybe) to the top cover, and even a rubber-mounted counterweight on
> > > some models.
> >
> > According to the TR4 SPC, the brace was all TR4 (although there were
> > two different versions); the counterweight only gearbox CT17815
> > through CT35719.
> >
> > Randall
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com