Subject: [TR] Removing TR4 Gearbox Filler Plug

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 09:46:27 -0700

Greetings. Please forgive the newbie mechanical question, but Im having a
devil of a time removing the gearbox filler plug on my TR4. I just cant get
enough purchase with my square wrench. Every time I try to turn it, it slips
off. Please dont tell me I have to remove go in from the top!

Thanks.

-- Jeff

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 0:57:14 +0000

> off. Please dont tell me I have to remove go in from the top!

Go to Sears or your favorite tool supply, and pick up a 7/16" 8 point (not 12,
8) socket plus a breaker bar.  Should give you plenty of leverage.  If you
don't have one already, also pick up a big pry bar, so you can pry between the
edge of the floor and the head of the breaker bar.  That will keep it from
slipping off.

That should give you all the torque you need, to either get it out, or twist
the plug in half.  If the plug twists off, I'm afraid you're going to have to
remove the tunnel to get room to drill it out.  Driving the car until the
transmission is good and hot (or carefully supplying some heat with a heat
lamp or similar) will help loosen the plug.

Personally, I prefer to replace the factory plug with a hardened hex socket
plug.
http://goo.gl/69GQqy
I get mine at http://www.mcmaster.com

Some Teflon/PTFE pipe paste will help it seal and come out easier next time,
too.

Randall