Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 - rocker shaft install

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:05:08 -0500

Angelo,

Couple of thoughts here

Back the valve lash screws all the way off to give 100% clearance when bolting
the rocker shaft in place.
Once installed, you can go about tightening them down as you set the valve
lash.

Also, take the car out of gear and turn the engine by hand, using the cooling
fan.
This will allow you to get the #1 at TDC on the compression stoke easy
enough.

On Sep 15, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Angelo Graham <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello List:
> Just about to re-torque head bolts and wondering if there is a more easy and
positive way to re- install the rocker shaft? Worried about loading the
pushrods and possibly damaging them; also asking about an easier way to start
setting valve clearances with all rockers backed off.
> Would leaving the engine at TDC on #1 compression before removing shaft,
then starting here help the process?
> Looking for any tips on this job. Unfortunately, I have a solid re-cored rad
and have lost my hand cranking feature. Have to bump & grind engine through
the partial revolutions to find the sweet spots.
> Thanks for any guidance and tips on this one.
> Angelo Graham
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:13:12 -0700

Angelo -

I'm no expert but I have always just rested the rockers on the tops of the
pushrods and pressed down enough to start all the nuts.  Then just
tightened them evenly letting the works settled in wherever they happened
to be.  Just be sure the pushrods are seated well in the lifters and
matching well to the rockers.

To adjust them I don't trust my memory so I use this chart which has been
in the lid of the tool chest for the last 40 years or so:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/ValveAdjust_zps606664c7.jpg

I just start wherever the engine happens to be and go through the
sequence.  The hand crank is handy but w/o one it is still pretty easy to
turn the engine in a controlled fashion by putting it in 4th and pushing on
the top of the left front tire (gives you 2:1 leverage).  Having the plugs
out helps a lot of course.

After I'm all done I go through one more cycle (two revolutions) feeling
the rockers at each setting since if something is terribly wrong it is
pretty easy to feel if one is out of adjustment compared to the others.
Only change from that chart is that I now set the exhaust valves to .012"
to give some margin of error as I take a couple of 1200 miles trips each
year at highway speed and think/hope that gives some additional protection.

Geo

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hello List:
> Just about to re-torque head bolts and wondering if there is a more easy
> and positive way to re- install the rocker shaft? Worried about loading the
> pushrods and possibly damaging them; also asking about an easier way to
> start setting valve clearances with all rockers backed off.
> Looking for any tips on this job. Unfortunately, I have a solid re-cored
> rad and have lost my hand cranking feature. Have to bump & grind engine
> through the partial revolutions to find the sweet spots.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Valve Adjust.JPG]

---

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:15:49 -0400

Or leave the car in gear and roll the car to move the engine.  Can be very 
precise if you have the room for the car to move.

-----Original Message----- 
From: G.D. Huggins
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:05 PM
To: Angelo Graham
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 - rocker shaft install

Angelo,

Couple of thoughts here

Back the valve lash screws all the way off to give 100% clearance when 
bolting
the rocker shaft in place.
Once installed, you can go about tightening them down as you set the valve
lash.

Also, take the car out of gear and turn the engine by hand, using the 
cooling
fan.
This will allow you to get the #1 at TDC on the compression stoke easy
enough.

On Sep 15, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Angelo Graham <[email-masked]> wrote:

> and
start
> rad

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]