Subject: [TR] Suggestions for leaky gearbox

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 17:26:19 -0500

All,

The time has come for me to address a leaky gearbox.
Its the standard gearbox for a TR4A, with the A-type overdrive.

Its been leaking for a while now, but has just reached the point of being bad
enough for me to do anything about it.
I suspect the leak is occurring in one or both gaskets on either side of  the
overdrive unit.
If that is the case, is there something I could put around the gaskets to stop
the leak?
I am looking for anything to avoid pulling it out and replacing them.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO

Online project diary at http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 17:59:48 -0700

> I am looking for anything to avoid pulling it out and replacing them.

I had some success with "buttering" the entire area with one of the heavier bodied RTV compounds.  Permatex Ultra Black IIRC.

I started by draining it entirely, then cleaning thoroughly with spray solvent and paper towels.  Laid the RTV on thick and wide,
then waited for it to harden fully (not just skin over) before refilling.

As I recall, I drove for over a year that way without having to add oil.  Then something else happened and I pulled it out for a
rebuild.

- Randall