Subject: Re: [TR] Pre TS60000 TR3 and Radial Spare

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 17:55:19 -0400

When I was in college (a long time ago) I put Michelin Xs on my first TR3A.
Since they are no longer made I bought 5 Vredestien (Sp?) 165-HR15 for my
current 1960 TR3A.  The 5th one fits perfectly in the spare compartment and
tread looks a lot like the old Michelin X.

John

On  7 Sep, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm about to replace the bias ply tires on my 1956 TR3 with radials.  The
> correct size appears to be 165R15.  I'm currently running 590-15 U. S.
Royals
> on Dayton 48 spokers.
>
> My problem is I want to replace the spare as well.

John

John Wise
[email-masked]

http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Johns_Resume.html

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 14:56:37 -0700

I carry a 165/15 spare in my pre-60000 TR3A -- but it is deflated, has a
coating of baby powder on both sides and a loop of nylon strapping around
the back end for grabbing.

I can get it out by sitting on the ground and tugging - can get maximum
leverage if need be with one foot on each bumperette.

I recall Randall carries a space saver spare which is certainly a more
civilized approach, though I do not know how that works with a wire wheel.

Geo

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The current spare in a 70's vintage 600-15 bias on a 48 spoke Dunlop and it
> fits but very tightly (i.e. height).  I figured if a tire from my TR4A
> (165R15
> Firestone F560 on 60 spoke Dayton) fits, I'm good.  Unfortunately it
> doesn't!
>
> If you have a pre TS60000 TR3 (or TR2) with a radial spare aboard, I'd
> appreciate knowing what you are running and how tight the fit is.  I say
> pre
> 60000, because the pan changed at that point, I imagine getting deeper?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Brian
> _______________________________________________________________________
>    Brian Thomas                    E-mail:  [email-masked]
>    92 Wyona Lane, R R 1       Phone:  613-385-1947
>    Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:     54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01
> XKR,
> 75 John Deere 920
>    CANADA   K0H
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 23:41:10 -0400

Long thread ongoing about spare tire fitting on the TR Register Forum in
the UK.  Might be worth a read -- I believe this part of the forum is
viewable by all.
http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/48550-tr3a-spare-wheel-wont-fit-in-cubby/

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:18:57 +0000

Hi John,

As you are the only one responding that fits a 165R15 tire (fully inflated,
I'm assuming) into the TR3 spare compartment, I have a couple of questions:

. is your 1960 TR3 perhaps post TS60000?
. what wheels are you using?  Stock steel, 48spoke, 60 spoke, ...?

Thanks,

Brian

From: John Wise [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: September-07-14 5:55 PM
To: Brian Thomas
Cc: car discussion Sports Triumph
Subject: Re: [TR] Pre TS60000 TR3 and Radial Spare

John

On  7 Sep, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Brian Thomas

I'm about to replace the bias ply tires on my 1956 TR3 with radials.  The
correct size appears to be 165R15.  I'm currently running 590-15 U. S. Royals
on Dayton 48 spokers.

John

John Wise

---

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 15:28:15 +0000

Thanks to all who responded to my question of what size radial fits the early
TR3 tire compartment.

The answer appears to be a 155SR15 on (in my case) 48 spoke wires (which are 4
inches deep).

My next problem is finding a 155SR15 in a wide whitewall.  The only offering
I've been able to find is DiamondBack's BFGoodrich at $227 a pop.

Anyone know of alternatives?

I'm also considering using four 165SR15 Coker wide whites ($160 each)  and
carrying a blackwall 155SR15 Firestone or Vredstein as the spare.

Brian