Subject: [TR] HS4s fuel level problem

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 14:58:20 -0500

Hi,

I have a 1980 Spitfire with dual HS4s on it. I have been having problems 
getting the fuel level set correctly in the carbs.

The fuel in the rear jet (~.30) is way lower than the fuel ion the front 
jet (~.20 )  The floats are the non adjustable plastic, but I have 
modified the rear one so it is only about 1/16"  where as the front one 
is closer to 3/8".

I took off the lids and floats of the fuel bowls - the rear level is 
about .9' and the front one is 1.02".  This seems like the fuel in the 
rear jet should be slightly higher than than the front, but is not.

The jets are new as the old ones seemed to have a bit of a crimp in the 
line between the bowl and the jet.  I used compressed air to blow 
through the jet and into the rear bowl.  It seemed to be fine.

Does any one have a suggestion of what I might be over looking?

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 19:04:12 -0500

More information:

The carb with the highest level of fuel in the fuel bowl, has the lowest 
level of fuel in the jet.

I have switched bowls.  I moved the lids and floats from one to the 
other.  The problem stayed with the rear carb.

I weighed the floats, they are the same to the accuracy of my scale - 7 
grams.

I took one lid and float and moved it between the 2 carbs.  The back car 
still had a much lower level in the jet even though it had the highest 
level in the bowl.

When I changed bowls I made sure there was not an obstruction in the 
hole that the jet tubing goes into.

I know the engine sits at a bit of an angle with the back being a bit 
lower.  But it seems the carbs are create separate systems, so the fuel 
level should be closer between the two than what I can get.

Thanks,
Roger

On 09/06/2014 02:58 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1980 Spitfire with dual HS4s on it. I have been having 
> problems getting the fuel level set correctly in the carbs.
>
> The fuel in the rear jet (~.30) is way lower than the fuel ion the 
> front jet (~.20 )  The floats are the non adjustable plastic, but I 
> have modified the rear one so it is only about 1/16"  where as the 
> front one is closer to 3/8".
>
> The jets are new as the old ones seemed to have a bit of a crimp in 
> the line between the bowl and the jet.  I used compressed air to blow 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]