Subject: [TR] TR4 Heat Shield success, Throttle Lingage, Accelerator Return spring

From: "Will Daehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:27:23 -0400

OK, so earlier I had posted to The List a plea for help. My inability to
consistently restart my engine when it was hot. This was on the eve of
VTR2014, and was on the verge of cancelling to avoid embarissment.

Well I bought the A.R.E. heat shield, and installed it. No issues there,
that was simple enough, and then had 100% re-starting success at the
convention. Yes! Yes! Cured!

When completing the installation and reconnecting the throttle linkage, I
started PERCEIVING for the first time how the throttle linkage was supposed
to work. I stared at it, and played with it while the engine was running.
Two things were evidently wrong.  

Ever since I had installed new engine mounts and shimmed them up a bit too,
my lack of accelerator pedal travel  was curtailing my top RPM. The engine
was now tilted back ever so slightly, making the distance shorter to the
firewall where the accelerator rod (behind the battery) is mounted and
pivots. So there were three places to correct for this on the threaded
portions of the various link rods and lock nuts. In just five minutes I was
able to drastically increase my top RPM and vehicle speed . Not bad!

The next observation was that my persistent high and quite random idle had
something to do with the lack of return force on the linkages. Fast forward,
five days, while peering at the engine compartments at the VTR Concours
event, oh my god, I'm missing the Accelerator Return spring! For ten damn
years too!  

Brad Kahler was there at the show, had an extra one, NIB, and gave it to me.
Thank you!  When I got it on, it was like a third miracle in the same week.

My car starts anytime, goes like stink, and finally idles politely at a
stoplight. 

Will Daehler

63 TR4 Powder Blue

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:45:28 -0400

Will,

Glad the spring helped out!  It's always nice to put faces to names from
the list.  Of course with my memory being as bad as it is we'll be able to
do the same thing at the next convention!

Brad

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Will Daehler <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]