Subject: [TR] heater control valve

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:25:40 -0700

Newly restored tr-3 with over-hauled engine.  Installed new heater control valve.  Was getting NO heat to heater when engine was fully warmed up.  (could grab heater hoses with bare hands.....very very lukewarm).  I then fully closed the heater control valve and re-opened.  Results were that I got heat again and hoses were almost too hot to hold.  Since then I felt the hoses and they were very warm but didn't feel quit at hot.

I just have a simple question.  Does anyone know how the internals of the heater control valve are made?  Is the shaft that screws up and down fastened to something that blocks the water flow and possibly could come loose?  I'm wondering if the shaft and whatever blocks the water in the valve are no longer fastened  (or are loose/floppy) that could explain why I might have differing amounts of heating through the heater.  

Just wondering.

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:52:48 -0400

Gary,
I just happened to have mine removed and looked at the internals.  At the 
bottom of the screw stem is a flat piece that seals the against the bottom 
of the valve and seals it when closed.  When the stem is unscrewed (open) 
the flat piece comes up with the stem and allows water to pass below the 
piece into the horizontal tube.  If you take the horizontal tube off of the 
valve you should be able to see if the sealing part has become disconnected 
which would restrict the water.  You can also see if the horizontal valve 
has rust in it and has become clogged which is normal as the tube is steel. 
The other option is to just remove the top part of the valve which easily 
unscrews from the body to check the inside.
Pete

-----Original Message----- 
From: Gary Nafziger
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] heater control valve

Newly restored tr-3 with over-hauled engine.  Installed new heater control 
valve.  Was getting NO heat to heater when engine was fully warmed up. 
(could grab heater hoses with bare hands.....very very lukewarm).  I then 
fully closed the heater control valve and re-opened.  Results were that I 
got heat again and hoses were almost too hot to hold.  Since then I felt the 
hoses and they were very warm but didn't feel quit at hot.

I just have a simple question.  Does anyone know how the internals of the 
heater control valve are made?  Is the shaft that screws up and down 
fastened to something that blocks the water flow and possibly could come 
loose?  I'm wondering if the shaft and whatever blocks the water in the 
valve are no longer fastened  (or are loose/floppy) that could explain why I 
might have differing amounts of heating through the heater.

Just wondering.

gary n.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]