Subject: [TR] GT6 engine rebuild

From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:57:31 -0400

I'm currently helping a friend rebuild his GT6 engine for a project his
building.what is the best method to use to ensure that I have the crank and
cam timed correctly. When I built my TR3 I got one tooth off and it created
a nightmare . I do not want to replicate the same mistake..

ronnie

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:31:48 -0400

The trick is knowing which side of the cam gear to use. Flipping it over 
as well as rotating it relative to the bolt holes allows a +/- 4 degree 
adv/retard of the cam timing.
Once happy with the crank position, and the chain gear 'notch' in line 
with the center lines of the cam and crank, it's the chain on the 
distributor side of the engine that should be taught if you have the 
gears lined up correctly. crank and cam in the right position.

rotating the cam to the right position can be frustrating at first until 
you realize it's simply the #1 valve closing just before the #2 valve 
starts to open.... frustrating as you can not do it with #1 piston  AT  
TDC. So you need to back the piston down a bit...better to move it to 
the upstroke ... measure the cam center by seeing which valve opens (#1 
and #2) ..if all goes well.... putting the chain on and putting the cam 
sprocket up to the cam the holes should line up easily.
see attached page scan

manual pic

ptegler

On 9/30/2014 5:57 PM, Ronnie Babbitt wrote:
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums:http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]