Subject: Re: [TR] Removing TR4 Gearbox Filler Plug

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 10:02:07 -0700

Jeff -

Are you using one of these?
http://www.mossmotors.com/Graphics/Products/Large/386-190_1.jpg

Or an 8-point 7/16" socket?

Either of those are pretty good, an open end wrench is not so good.

if you are using one of the good wrenches and the plug is just too
knackered to remove -- I recall some have drilled thru the plug sideway to
insert a metal shaft to lever it loose.

Geo

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Greetings. Please forgive the newbie mechanical question, but I m having a
> devil of a time removing the gearbox filler plug on my TR4. I just can t
> get
> enough purchase with my square wrench. Every time I try to turn it, it
> slips
> off. Please don t tell me I have to remove go in from the top!
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Jeff
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:08:29 -0500

You "just" need more leverage.  Those seem much easier to tighten 
than to loosen.  If you can slip a piece of tubing over the wrench to 
make it longer, that might do the trick.  Or if you have a crescent 
wrench that's longer than the square end wrench, that may work to get 
it to move.  Of course, make sure you're really turning in the 
"loosen" direction or it makes things worse.  :)

BTDT - good luck!

Tony Drews

At 11:46 AM 9/5/2014, Jeffrey Gayton wrote:
>Greetings. Please forgive the newbie mechanical question, but Im having a
>devil of a time removing the gearbox filler plug on my TR4. I just cant get
>enough purchase with my square wrench. Every time I try to turn it, it slips
>off. Please dont tell me I have to remove go in from the top!
>
>Thanks.
>
>-- Jeff
>
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:59:18 -0500

Sorry, misread the original message.  What Brad said.

Tony

At 12:08 PM 9/5/2014, Tony Drews wrote:
>than to loosen.  If you can slip a piece of tubing over the wrench 
>to make it longer, that might do the trick.  Or if you have a 
>crescent wrench that's longer than the square end wrench, that may 
>work to get it to move.  Of course, make sure you're really turning 
>in the "loosen" direction or it makes things worse.  :)
>
>BTDT - good luck!
>
>Tony Drews
>