Subject: [TR] Wing bead kit plastic protective coating.

From: tom white <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 18:43:07 +0000 FILETIME=[E6410780:01CFCC5D]

Hi List,

I bought a wing bead kit from TRF for my 1960 TR3A.  Today I unpacked one to
install on a rear fender.  The beads have all been covered with a black
plastic protective coating.  No problem just peel and strip, WRONG AND
IMPOSSIBLE.

I called TRF and their suggestion was use a hair dryer of low setting on my
heat gun to strip the plastic, WRONG AGAIN. I did manage to get the plastic
off of one small rear fender tail bead with ten minutes of high heat from the
heat gun.  The same approach did not proof effective on the larger rear fender
bead.  I also attempted to remove the plastic with buffing and nylon brush
wheels on my Dremel.  The Dremel proved useless too.  I tired acetone to
soften the plastic with no success.

Does anyone have an effective way to remove the plastic coating from the
fender beads?  Pleas4e let me know if there is a good way to remove this
plastic.
Best regards,
Tom

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 23:26:22 +0000

---- tom white <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Does anyone have a source for wing beads other than TRF or Moss who both get
> the same black plastic covered beads?

No, but I had no problem removing the plastic from the ones I got from TRF.  Just like masking tape, scrape up one end until there is enough to pull on, then pull it off.  Had a few small places to touch up, but no problems.

You might try adding some PB Blaster along the edge.  I've found that it will soften the adhesive behind old labels.

Randall