Subject: Re: [TR] Suggestions for leaky gearbox

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:36:35 -0700

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM, G.D. Huggins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ... I suspect the leak is occurring in one or both gaskets on either side
> of  the overdrive unit.
> If that is the case, is there something I could put around the gaskets to
> stop the leak?
> I am looking for anything to avoid pulling it out and replacing them.

Is your primary concern  1) you will get too low on lube?  2) the amount of
lube you must buy & add to keep the level up? or 3) the mess this creates?

Since you are thinking of a Band-Aid fix perhaps it is #3 in which case I
have seen some car owners address a small but persistent leak with a simple
metal bracket that holds a highly absorbent material against the leak.
Will require changing from time to time.

The usual absorbent material used for this is available in the Health &
Beauty area of your favorite store though you may want your wife or
girlfriend to pick it up for you.

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 19:57:15 -0400 a=I++m45kDPXbCgdSF5Y/xMw==:117 a=I++m45kDPXbCgdSF5Y/xMw==:17 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8 a=FB8tr5X9ugMA:10 a=rSN60XP_m4YA:10 a=zTVDa7HKqxcA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=doupyKFmAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=q7qb36_JTBVEEo0_sS0A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10

My OD box leaked there as well. The last time it was out I replaced the 
Adapter Plate with one of the new thicker plates and I used Hylomar sealant. 
The leaks are greatly reduced and in a years time I have not added any oil 
to the box. Just checked the level before driving to VTR in NC and it had 
been a year since last checked. Maybe 6,000 miles between checks. I was 
pleased.
But sadly unless you can just tighten some fasteners you'll need to pull the 
trans if the leak is too bad. How frequently do you check and add oil and 
how much do you need to add each time?
JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: G.D. Huggins
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Suggestions for leaky gearbox

All,

The time has come for me to address a leaky gearbox.
Its the standard gearbox for a TR4A, with the A-type overdrive.

Its been leaking for a while now, but has just reached the point of being 
bad
enough for me to do anything about it.
I suspect the leak is occurring in one or both gaskets on either side of 
the
overdrive unit.
If that is the case, is there something I could put around the gaskets to 
stop
the leak?
I am looking for anything to avoid pulling it out and replacing them.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO