Subject: Re: [TR] Speedi-Sleeve for TR3

From: Dean Tetterton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:52:40 -0400

Just a thought, but did you install the oil deflector between the
gear and oil seal. Part #57196. Helps prevent the oil from throwing
off the gear under speed and right on to the oil seal.

Dean T.

On Aug 15, 2014, at 3:22 PM, William Brewer wrote:

>     I rebuilt my TR3 engine with a new used crank. I polished up the area
of
> the crank where the front seal goes using a very fine sandpaper and
> wet-sanding it with oil lubricant. Probably a mistake because 1000 miles
later
> it is puking oil out the front seal. I am thinking about trying a
> Speedi-Sleeve as sold by Moss and TRF.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:01:42 -0500

Bill-

I've done this a few times, it will solve your problem.

> 1. Can it be installed with the
> crank still in the engine but the timing cover off? Or do you have to pull
the
> crank?
>  No need to pull the crank.  For that matter, you wouldn't need to pull the
timing cover either for just the sleeve, but in your case it sounds like the
seal is damaged so its cover off time.
> 2. Would it be possible to install without pulling the bumpers, grill,
> front panel, radiator, cross member and everything else that we have to do
to
> get at the front of the engine? Probably just a pipedream, but one never
> knows. Maybe it is possible.
>  I've never tried it, but I think the front bits have to come off - you have
to get that fan extension off and it takes some room to do so - the radiator
is the biggest problem.  I have pulled a fan extension off without pulling the
cross member - but as I recall that was a tight fit as well.
> 3. Do they work well and are they worth the
> trouble?
>  Absolutely.  You need to change the seal anyway which is the same work -
the speedi-sleeve will give you a smooth sealing surface.
> 4. Has anyone else used one of these recently?
>
Yes, and if you hunt you can find better prices than from the main Triumph
suppliers.  Part numbers which can work are 99175 or 99174 - 99174 being
narrower but useable.  A check on Rockauto shows a National sleeve for $22.79
+ shipping for example. RegardsRandy

---

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 20:08:40 -0700

You know, my life is kind of a blur right now and I might not be thinking
straight. I put in a harmonic balancer when I rebuilt the engine. So the seal
should be riding on the pulley hub and not the crank? That's probably the
issue. If so, I might go back in and pull the pulley off and install the
original crank pulley that I was using before.
     Maybe I knocked the seal
loose installing the harmonic dampener. I doubt it though.
     Thanks for
your help.

     -Bill

On Friday, August 15, 2014 2:55 PM, Randall
<[email-masked]> wrote:

---- William Brewer <[email-masked]>
wrote: 
>      I rebuilt my TR3 engine with a new used crank. I polished up
the area of
> the crank where the front seal goes 

I'm confused, Bill.  The
front seal doesn't ride on the crank at all; instead it rides on the hub for
the pulley.

I've put a Speedi-sleeve on the hub, no problem.  First one I
picked out of the catalog by size; but later I noticed that they actually have
the TR3 (or maybe it was TR4, same part) listed by application.  The
application listing was for a shorter sleeve, but the longer one worked fine
for me.  All done with the crank still in the engine and engine still in the
car. 

It shouldn't be possible to leak oil through the center of the hub,
since the whole stack of extension, hub, gear and shims should be clamped
firmly against the cheek of the front crank throw by the dog bolt.  But it
wouldn't hurt to put a thin smear of Hylomar on the back surface of the hub
when you install it.  I wouldn't use RTV though, as it will get squeezed out
of the joint and I don't like strings of RTV running around loose inside the
engine.  Hylomar will stay put.

Randall