Subject: [TR] O/D safety switch

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:35:35 -0600

Listers,
  My recently acquired GT6+ is equipped with an O/D (yea!) but the 
safety switch mounted at the distal end of the gearbox extension only 
allows for 4th gear operation. I saw a picture of a safety switch 
mounted more or less over the forks.. question is/are is this a MK3 
improvement or is it a extension assembly from a TR other car that just 
happens to interchange?
Dave in Abq.

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:04:20 +0000

Thanks Jerry for the comment.

The V shape certainly appears to be factory.  I've only had the car for 25
years and can't comment on any accidents before my time.

I did hit a deer about 4 years ago and while the hood was displaced rearwards,
the grill and bumper escaped any damage.  Besides, I had installed a cardboard
duct before then and had the same problem.

I find it interesting that Richard offers a different product for the TR250.
>From the pictures it appears the 250 doesn't have the overflow bottle cut-out
- maybe the top piece is also different?

... and no, I haven't looked at a TR250 yet - perhaps a 250 list member can
comment?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Van Vlack [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: August-31-14 10:23 AM
To: Brian Thomas
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Air Duct Mounting

Interesting, I worked with Richard on his prototype to assure fit and
function, we mostly were concerned about the radiator overflow bottle. The
final version fit my car perfectly. (CTC69150l) Richard makes a 250 air duct
and if you need a different top piece he may be able to use a 250 top with the
4A sides. Not speaking for him but that may be a solution. I'd guess I'd be
interested  in determining if in fact 250 and 4A upper valances are different
with that V shape. Intuitively, I can't imagine why that would be changed as
the body basically stayed the same in that area.
Is it at all possible that your car was damaged at some point resulting in
that V shape? Have you looked at a 250 to see if they are different?

JVV

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thomas
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:06 AM
To: <[email-masked]> List
Subject: [TR] TR4A Air Duct Mounting

I'm currently in the process of installing the GoodParts stainless steel
radiator air duct in my TR4A and have a small problem.

My 1967 TR4A is a very late one - CTC78390L - and the upper valance panel to
which the top piece of air duct mounts is V shaped putting the middle mounting
point 1/2 inch or so in front of the two others.  I wonder if TRIUMPH maybe
switched to a TR250 style late in the run?

I had encountered this problem with the two previous "cardboard" ducts but had
simply ignored the mid-point mount.

Anyone else been there - done this?

I've asked Richard Good for comments.

... and thanks to John Donnelly and Dave Connitt for recommending GoodParts -
I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the product!

Cheers,

Brian
_______________________________________________________________________
   Brian Thomas                    E-mail:  [email-masked]
   92 Wyona Lane, R R 1       Phone:  613-385-1947
   Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:     54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR,
75 John Deere 920
   CANADA   K0H 2Y0

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4745 / Virus Database: 4015/8132 - Release Date: 08/31/14

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:46:59 -0700

Just to research w/o leaving my chair... I Googled images for the TR4
engine and the TR250 engine to compare:

TR4 <http://zschech.net/tr4/engine.jpg>

TR250
<http://www.classicargarage.com/common/pictures/mozes/2011/0211/supersize/triumph_tr250_engine.JPG>

I'm not seeing anything I would call a V - or any other differences in that
area.

Geo

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:50:49 -0400 a=I++m45kDPXbCgdSF5Y/xMw==:117 a=I++m45kDPXbCgdSF5Y/xMw==:17 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8 a=HZozj5r9scQA:10 a=zTVDa7HKqxcA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=doupyKFmAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=oCcaPWc0AAAA:8 a=PB0S9JEhn9Yf6FCd7r4A:9 a=FDVNdcW9oHyCp7dL:21 a=CgrbdS-RLz8jJeHN:21 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=J0aUVQLP0FIA:10 a=Wj3drqzez5wA:10 a=RGmMtM-5tXoA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=0vUscowIxtUA:10

In addition to the overflow bottle difference there may be a difference in 
either the width or the placement of the 250 radiator requiring in different 
side panel length and angle.With the 6 cyl engine my guess is that the 
radiator is placed in a different location. Come to think of it that would 
also negate the use of the top panel as it's length and width would be 
different too.
JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: Brian Thomas
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 11:04 AM
To: Jerry Van Vlack ; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4A Air Duct Mounting

I did hit a deer about 4 years ago and while the hood was displaced 
rearwards, the grill and bumper escaped any damage.  Besides, I had 
installed a cardboard duct before then and had the same problem.

>From the pictures it appears the 250 doesn't have the overflow bottle 
cut-out - maybe the top piece is also different?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Van Vlack [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: August-31-14 10:23 AM
To: Brian Thomas
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Air Duct Mounting

Interesting, I worked with Richard on his prototype to assure fit and 
function, we mostly were concerned about the radiator overflow bottle. The 
final version fit my car perfectly. (CTC69150l) Richard makes a 250 air duct 
and if you need a different top piece he may be able to use a 250 top with 
the 4A sides. Not speaking for him but that may be a solution. I'd guess I'd 
be interested  in determining if in fact 250 and 4A upper valances are 
different with that V shape. Intuitively, I can't imagine why that would be 
changed as the body basically stayed the same in that area.
Is it at all possible that your car was damaged at some point resulting in 
that V shape? Have you looked at a 250 to see if they are different?

JVV

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thomas
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:06 AM
To: <[email-masked]> List
Subject: [TR] TR4A Air Duct Mounting

My 1967 TR4A is a very late one - CTC78390L - and the upper valance panel to 
which the top piece of air duct mounts is V shaped putting the middle 
mounting point 1/2 inch or so in front of the two others.  I wonder if 
TRIUMPH maybe switched to a TR250 style late in the run?

I had encountered this problem with the two previous "cardboard" ducts but 
had simply ignored the mid-point mount.

... and thanks to John Donnelly and Dave Connitt for recommending 
GoodParts - I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the product!

Cheers,

Brian

-----

-----

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:01:50 -0400

Not being intimate with the GT6 transmission, but assuming that it
works the same as the Spitfire and TR6 gearboxes, the switch should
operate via a notch in the shaft, or a notch in the fork.  As I
understand it, the switch dropping into the notch locks out the signal
to the solenoid.  The OD switch on the column/shift knob remains
engaged, and so shifting between gears keeps the OD working  except
for the brief period when the lever passes through neutral where the
switch plunger drops into the notch..

So, the position of the switch mounting shouldn't affect whether or
not it works in 3rd gear.  I'm guessing you have some other problem,
but what it is is still a mystery.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM, David Porter
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Listers,
>  My recently acquired GT6+ is equipped with an O/D (yea!) but the safety
> switch mounted at the distal end of the gearbox extension only allows for
> 4th gear operation. I saw a picture of a safety switch mounted more or less
> over the forks.. question is/are is this a MK3 improvement or is it a
> extension assembly from a TR other car that just happens to interchange?
> Dave in Abq.
>
> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107
> 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:24:51 -0600

No,
  this particular installation relies on an external contact by the gear 
shift lever itself. Not an internal position of the 3rd/4th shift rod. 
The usual Lucas pressure switch is mounted on the side at the very 
rearmost part of the extension assembly, not on the top in the more or 
less center section... this allows only using O/D in 4th gear.. better 
than nothing I guess..
Dave

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:52:21 -0600

On 8/31/2014 1:24 PM, David Porter wrote:
> No,
>  this particular installation relies on an external contact by the 
> gear shift lever itself. Not an internal position of the 3rd/4th shift 
> rod. The usual Lucas pressure switch is mounted on the side at the 
> very rearmost part of the extension assembly, not on the top in the 
> more or less center section... this allows only using O/D in 4th 
> gear.. better than nothing I guess..
> Dave
>>> safety
>>> 87107

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:04:21 -0600

All,
  I have resolved the switch issue. A generous lister has the correct 
factory adapter that allows 3rd and 4th gear O/D operation. Happily I 
don't have to settle for only one additional gear... yea!
thanks to all who offered their thoughts!
Dave

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:17:47 -0400

Yes, but if you are on a tight winding road, it's fun just to kick the car
in and out of overdrive in third rather than shift up and down.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:43 PM
Cc: 'Triumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] O/D safety switch

> this allows only using O/D in 4th

Just a SWAG, but the GT6 used the D-type OD which was marginal even behind
the much smaller Spitfire motor.  My _guess_ is that they limited it to 4th
gear because the OD could not handle the engine torque multiplied by the 3rd
gear ratio.

I don't know how the ratios work out on the GT6, but on the TR2-6, 3rd OD is
so close to 4th direct that it's almost not a separate gear.  That's not to
say 3rd OD is totally useless, but it's also not a big loss, IMO.

Randall

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:32:53 -0700

And on a mountain grade of about 6% (and no traffic to slow you down) 3rd
OD is my gear of choice as 4th isn't quite enough and 3rd is definitely too
much.

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:23:42 -0500

when we did tail of the dragon, it was all 2nd and 2nd od, back and forth, 
back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stIUBx5jWY8