Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Engine won't restart when hot

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:42:38 -0600

Will,
  The basics are where to start. Pull the spark plugs and visually 
examine for excessive wetness. While they are out check the compression, 
is it within normal limits. Also check that the points are actually 
opening. Roll the car in 4th gear and watch the opening as the cam 
rotates. When they are closed, key on, open them manually and watch for 
a small spark, does it spark each time? The 4's run the fuel line very 
close to the thermostat housing. Is it so close as to exacerbate a 
"vapor lock" condition. Remove a carb piston and see if fuel is bubbling 
up through the jet head when hot. Depending on the chokes installed, if 
manual Strombergs, the tiny rubber O-rings fail and will flood the 
engine quickly when hot.
Note: when a flooded condition occurs hold the throttle in a wide open 
position to clear the flooding.
Dave
follow up if you are able..
On 8/31/2014 1:24 PM, Will Daehler wrote:
> I'm at wits end, this problem happened at first after a short 10 minute
> jaunt to the grocery store. After letting the car sit for an hour, the
> engine restarted fine. But I had been served the warning, and thought it
> was time to do the standard maintenance tune up operations. I replaced the
> coil, the condenser, the points, adjusted the valve lash. Installed new
> distributor cap, and all new wires, new spark plugs, and my new rotor is
> the red type . My carburetors are rebuilt and freshly cleaned. I'm using SU
> dash pot oil, and I'm following the wisdom of the list and the manuals
> everywhere I can.
> My very last no-start event, I pulled that caps off the float bowls, and
> confirmed that I had gas in both, and that the floats were floating.
>
> So when the engine is running, it runs well and the car goes likes stink. I
> was up to 88 miles per hour last month. But stop the car for a minute, and
> it's nearly impossible to restart unless I wait an hour and a half. Its
> like my gasoline is made from water, and won't ignite. I have the Ted
> Schumacher gear reduction starter motor and a strong battery, I'm not
> limited by the number of cranks. It just won't fire!!!!
>
> What can I check? What can I do? Looking for suggestions.
>
> National VTR is two weeks, and it's going to be embarrassing.
> My gut feel is that my carbs are set way too rich.
>
> Will Daehler
> 63 TR4 Powder Blue
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:54:55 -0500

By your comment about the gas I presume you are seeing wet plugs after a short
session of no-start cranking.   Have you leaned out the carbs a couple of
flats as a time and rechecked your plug color?

If you are satisfied with the fuel side, try replacing the ignition parts from
the tune up with the old ones you know to be good.  I would start with the
condenser.  You don't mention the coil, the heat problem could be there. You
could relocate it, insulate it , or replace it to see if it resolves you
issue.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Aug 31, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Will Daehler <[email-masked]> wrote:

Will Daehler
63 TR4 Powder Blue

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]