Subject: Re: [TR] Rip Van Winkle

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 06:58:25 -0500

If your friend is a mechanic he should know the basics of waking the car 
back up, sounds like it will need the gas tank cleaned out, as well as the 
carbs, I would pour some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to lube them 
a little, new battery goes without saying, I certainly wouldn't trust the 
brake or clutch hydraulics after 30 years and he will want new rubber bits 
all around there, and probably new radiator hoses and belts soon if not 
immediately as well.  Electrics will need to be tested, the fuel pump may 
need a good whack or points cleaned to get going, SU pumps don't like to sit 
that long.  Obviously change the oil in the motor, check the oil level in 
the carb dashpots, drain flush and fill radiator, I am sure I am probably 
missing something, but that would be a good start.

Greg Lemon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:05:29 -0400

He's not planning on driving it, is he?  Getting it running is one
thing, getting it driveable is another.  Getting it ready for a 350
mile trip is orders of magnitude more complicated.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Lee Janssen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So I have a friend who is moving from Denver to Los Alamos and he has a
> 1973 MGB that has been sitting for the past 30 years. My friend, being an
> auto mechanic by trade, did not drain the gas tank prior to this prolonged
> storage (moron).
> Since may of you have resolved this problem tell me how long will it take
> to get the car running and what steps are required?
>
> Thanks Much
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:52:09 -0500

http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/storage/

on how to revive a sleeping car

-----Original Message----- 
From: Lee Janssen 
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:44 PM 
To: triumphs 
Subject: [TR] Rip Van Winkle 

Thanks Much

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:32:09 -0700

The good news is that the gas sold 30 years ago was a much friendlier
formula for long-term neglect.  It will still be useless of course, but
possibly not set up in the glue-like gunk that modern fuels revert to
fairly quickly.

Our club does 'revivals' where we attempt to start a long-dormant car.  We
have never been defeated and our longest 'sleep' thus far was an MGA that
had not run in 31 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0cLnCdetxg

By contrast, an MGA that had only sat about 6 months was very difficult.
The valve train was so solidly glued in place from old fuel that the engine
was seized.  Lots of carb cleaner and a ball peen hammer were needed to get
it loose.

Geo

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Lee Janssen <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]