Subject: Re: [TR] Tranny install question

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 13:21:04 -0400

There are two holes that should have tight-fitting dowels in them.
Scroll to the bottom of this page:
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/LocatingDowels.htm  and look for the
yellow arrows.

I ordered dowels from TRF along with my alignment shaft and a bunch of
other stuff.  They don't help so much for getting things lined up
during install, but legend has it that they are essential for proper
clutch operation.

As for putting the thing in, patience is your friend.  That, and
making sure that a.) you got the clutch disc centered, and b.) that
you didn't let the disc hang on the input shaft and get misaligned.
Other than that, wiggle and turn, wiggle and turn.  Eventually you
will find the secret combination of swear words that unlock the
transmission and allow it to jump on the engine.  Whatever you do,
don't force it, though.

You have the back of the motor jacked up slightly, don't you?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> List:
> I am a little rusty when it comes to installing the tranny back in my six.  I
> have a special threaded dowel for the 12 o'clock hole on engine block to act
> as a guide.  Am I supposed to have dowels at the 2 and 8 o'clock positions
> too?  I had heard from one person to install a dowel in huge hole just above
> the top starter mount hole.  Any help would be appreciated as I think it would
> speed up my install time.  Last time I did one with only one dowel and it took
> the two of us 45 minutes of wiggling.  Oh, the motor is installed and I have
> it attached to a hoist so I can adjust up and down as needed without resting
> on the firewall.
> Thanks in advance.
> Jim henningsen
> Ocala fl
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:24:06 -0500

Another tip - put the tranny in 4th gear and rotate the output shaft 
a bit when you get close.  That helps align the splines into the 
clutch disk.  That's always the hardest part.

Tony

At 11:47 AM 8/12/2014, Jim Henningsen wrote:
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:27:11 -0500

Sounds like the same process I used for my TR3 trans install.  I just used
the top dowel, this seems to give a little more wiggle room to get
everything else lined up.

Bill B

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim
Henningsen
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:48 AM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Tranny install question

List:
I am a little rusty when it comes to installing the tranny back in my six.
I have a special threaded dowel for the 12 o'clock hole on engine block to
act as a guide.  Am I supposed to have dowels at the 2 and 8 o'clock
positions too?  I had heard from one person to install a dowel in huge hole
just above the top starter mount hole.  Any help would be appreciated as I
think it would speed up my install time.  Last time I did one with only one
dowel and it took the two of us 45 minutes of wiggling.  Oh, the motor is
installed and I have it attached to a hoist so I can adjust up and down as
needed without resting on the firewall.
Thanks in advance.
Jim henningsen
Ocala fl

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:24:54 -0500

My one man method which has always worked pretty good is to align and 
support everything eyeballed to be as straight as possible, then put on a 
pair of old jeans or overalls, sit on the tunnel behind the tranny and push 
forward with your feet on the lip of the bell housing on both sides while 
gently wiggling the tail shaft with your hands, works like a charm, but 
still sometimes they go home very quickly, and sometimes the seem to be a 
little, or a lot more stubborn.  That happy moment where it lines up and 
slides on the last inch or whatever is one of the more satisfying feelings 
in wrenching.

Greg Lemon

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:30:43 -0400

Thanks Tony and all who responded.  I was missing the dowels so just did a
quick order with 2 day shipping (ouch).  This list is one of the reasons I
have stayed in the Triumph brand and have not swayed to another sports car
brand.  You all are great.  Getting close to firing up the spare tired motor
to get my TR6 to the VTR!  We need to make this one of the biggest ever for
attendance!  We can do this.  The Florida gang is coming!
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Drews [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:24 PM
To: Jim Henningsen; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] Tranny install question

Another tip - put the tranny in 4th gear and rotate the output shaft a bit
when you get close.  That helps align the splines into the clutch disk.
That's always the hardest part.

Tony

At 11:47 AM 8/12/2014, Jim Henningsen wrote:
>List:
>I am a little rusty when it comes to installing the tranny back in my 
>six.  I have a special threaded dowel for the 12 o'clock hole on engine 
>block to act as a guide.  Am I supposed to have dowels at the 2 and 8 
>o'clock positions too?  I had heard from one person to install a dowel 
>in huge hole just above the top starter mount hole.  Any help would be 
>appreciated as I think it would speed up my install time.  Last time I 
>did one with only one dowel and it took the two of us 45 minutes of 
>wiggling.  Oh, the motor is installed and I have it attached to a hoist 
>so I can adjust up and down as needed without resting on the firewall.
>Thanks in advance.
>Jim henningsen
>Ocala fl
>

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:40:09 -0400

Thanks and amen to that last line.  When it slides in, it is a very good
feeling indeed. Especially after wrestling with it for half an hour or more.
Cheers, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:25 PM
To: Jim Henningsen; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Tranny install question

Greg Lemon

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:48:36 -0600

Greg Lemon wrote:
> That happy moment where it lines up and slides on the last inch or whatever is one of the more satisfying feelings in wrenching.

In one of Carroll Smith's "X to Win" books he talks about a night when he and a well known race driver
were working well into the night to get the car ready for morning practice. They offer up the gearbox
to the engine, and it slides home right away. They look at each other, and both conclude that the spigot
bushing was not installed in the flywheel which is why it slid right in.  They pull the tranny out to
look and there in the flywheel is the spigot bushing. The second attempt to mate took a LOT longer.

mjb.

---

From: Tom B <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:00:56 -0400

Has anyone used A1A express auto shipping to ship a car 

I am ok with unknowns just want to knowing they should be avoided

Thanks
Tom

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:05:10 -0700

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Tom B <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Has anyone used A1A express auto shipping to ship a car...

I haven't, but in my opinion something to ask (if you haven't already) is
whether they own their own trucks & do the drivers work for them -- or do
they turn around and farm out the job to an independent?

Your car is only as safe & secure as the driver and truck involved.  If it
gets farmed out you will not only know little or nothing about the team but
it could indeed be changing transport & drivers along the way.

I've never had an problem shipping a car but I like to know exactly who
will have it, that it will stay with that driver and transport the entire
journey and have the cell phone number of the driver should anything arise.

Geo