Subject: [TR] TR3 distributor / vacuum unit`

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:06:59 -0400

I have several usable distributors for the cars I am restoring, but all the
vacuum units are shot.  I see Moss lists various vacuum units depending on
the type of distributor:  is this a question of fit of is it more
complicated than that - a match to the weights or something more intrinsic.

So my question is - how important is it to match a vacuum unit to a
particular distributor?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:28:30 -0700

As ever - it depends. 

I'd just send it off to Advance Distributors and let them have their way
with it.

They've done 4 for me know and they come back working great and looking
better than new.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew
Uprichard
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 distributor / vacuum unit`

Andrew Uprichard

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:41:14 -0700

Andrew -

I expect the difference is the vacuum advance specs as expressed by three
numbers: 4-11-7 in the case of the 40480A and 40698 units.

Those numbers are typically stamped on the vacuum unit.

The first number is the vacuum where advance begins (in inches of mercury),
the second number is the vacuum where advance maxes out and the third
number is the maximum advance in crank degrees.

You're probably familiar with this page, but in case you're not - here is a
pretty comprehensive list of Lucas distributors with applications and
vacuum advance numbers:  http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucas.pdf

Geo

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]