Subject: [TR] TR Reverse Lights

From: Jeffrey Gayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:45:48 -0700

Randall,

I was amazed to learn that the reverse lights can be engaged via a connection
on the transmission. My TR4 has overdrive, but it was added later by the
previous owner. My reverse lights are engaged manually via a knob on the dash!
Can you give me more info on this? Id love to get mine working properly.

Thanks.

> ---- dave n <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> just landed here.  its got three switches on top; Ibm not sure which is
>> which.  I think I know which is the overdrive switch, and then one is the
>> backup, and the other is a cutout that keeps it from engaging in first and
>> reverse?
>
> A-type OD uses two lockout switches.  Although they are called "lockout",
in
> fact they enable the OD when they are closed.  One switch closes when in
3rd
> or 4th gear, the other switch closes in 2nd gear.  Making OD available in
2nd,
> 3rd and 4th.
>
> The switch nearest the left side is the backup light switch.  The one
nearest
> the right side is the 2nd gear OD switch.  The one in the middle is for 3rd
&
> 4th.
> Randall

-- Jeff

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 20:28:11 -0700

> Can you give me more info on this? Id love to get mine

I believe most of the details on how to add the switch are covered in the
article on the Buckeye Triumphs site:
http://tinyurl.com/ppk635m
Of course, Nelson was talking about the OD switches, but the reverse switch is
very similar.  It's just over the reverse shift fork
instead of the forward gears.  Then of course you'll have to add the wiring,
per the wiring diagram.

I think I had a diagram showing more precise switch location, but I can't find
it at the moment.  Maybe someone else has a copy
handy.

Randall