Subject: [TR] question about hub stud installation

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:34:56 -0400

I had to replace two rear hub studs on my '56 TR3.  It looked like they were 
pressed in but I found that they are screwed in then peened over on the back 
of the hub.  I don't think I will be able to peen the new studs with simple 
shop tools.  Any suggestions or alternative methods?  I was thinking about 
high strength locktite??
TIA
Pete 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:01:35 +0000

> shop tools.  Any suggestions or alternative methods?  I was thinking about 

Loctite certainly won't hurt.  But you should also be able to peen them over with a punch and BFH.  I forget the term for the type of punch, but the angle at the tip is less sharp than a center punch.  Make a circle of dimples around the outside edge of the stud, just inside the threads.

You used to be able to buy fully threaded studs that would screw in from the back; but I couldn't find them last time I looked.  Moroso doesn't make the old part number any more.

Randall

---

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:58:28 -0400

Thanks Randall,
Your comment reminded me that I had an air chisel with a punch type tool. 
Worked great although not as neat as the originals.  I also used some strong 
threadlocking that will have to be heated if I ever want to remove the stud 
again.
Pete

-----Original Message----- 
From: Randall
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:01 PM
To: Pete Ryner ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] question about hub stud installation

> shop tools.  Any suggestions or alternative methods?  I was thinking about

Loctite certainly won't hurt.  But you should also be able to peen them over 
with a punch and BFH.  I forget the term for the type of punch, but the 
angle at the tip is less sharp than a center punch.  Make a circle of 
dimples around the outside edge of the stud, just inside the threads.

You used to be able to buy fully threaded studs that would screw in from the 
back; but I couldn't find them last time I looked.  Moroso doesn't make the 
old part number any more.

Randall