Subject: [TR] TR4 Engine won't restart when hot

From: Will Daehler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:24:56 -0400

I'm at wits end, this problem happened at first after a short 10 minute
jaunt to the grocery store. After letting the car sit for an hour, the
engine restarted fine. But I had been served the warning, and thought it
was time to do the standard maintenance tune up operations. I replaced the
coil, the condenser, the points, adjusted the valve lash. Installed new
distributor cap, and all new wires, new spark plugs, and my new rotor is
the red type . My carburetors are rebuilt and freshly cleaned. I'm using SU
dash pot oil, and I'm following the wisdom of the list and the manuals
everywhere I can.
My very last no-start event, I pulled that caps off the float bowls, and
confirmed that I had gas in both, and that the floats were floating.

So when the engine is running, it runs well and the car goes likes stink. I
was up to 88 miles per hour last month. But stop the car for a minute, and
it's nearly impossible to restart unless I wait an hour and a half. Its
like my gasoline is made from water, and won't ignite. I have the Ted
Schumacher gear reduction starter motor and a strong battery, I'm not
limited by the number of cranks. It just won't fire!!!!

What can I check? What can I do? Looking for suggestions.

National VTR is two weeks, and it's going to be embarrassing.
My gut feel is that my carbs are set way too rich.

Will Daehler
63 TR4 Powder Blue

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:51:13 -0400 (EDT)

But, Will, did you check for spark (at the plugs) at the same moment that  
you were in a no-start situation?
 
Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs,  Ltd.
Skippack, PA 
1962 TR4 CT2052L

In a message dated 8/31/2014 3:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes: