Subject: [TR] TR4A Sputtering

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:07:36 +0000

Hi,

I've been fighting a problem with our TR4A for a couple of years and it just
won't go away.  Symptom is a "sputtering" at high-way speeds.  Performance
seems fine - it just becomes no fun on longer trips.  Our annual fall sojourn
to Stowe is coming up and I'm looking for ideas.  So far:
*       replaced defective stainless steel muffler that had incomplete welds
on the intake - lifetime warranty honoured by TRF - thanks guys!
*       fixed problem with coil to distributor wire which was not fully "home"
in distributor resulting in pin making poor contact - checked all other plug
wires at pins - ok
*       installed NEW plug wires (yellow/black) and distributor cap
*       perhaps unrelated, but replaced fuel pump that went bad 2 years ago in
Stowe - replacement was Moss reproduction
Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Brian
_______________________________________________________________________
   Brian Thomas                    E-mail:
   92 Wyona Lane, R R 1       Phone:  613-385-1947
   Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:     54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR,
75 John Deere 920
   CANADA   K0H

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:03:22 +0000

---- Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> Another problem I'm having is that once the car gets up to operating
> temperature, the idle will not return to 800 rpm unless the gas pedal is
> goosed.  I've been told my throttle shafts are worn and the carbs are likely
> sucking air around them.  Is this the likely cause?

Seems unlikely to me.  IMO it's more likely that the worn shafts (and bushings/housings) are letting the throttle plates drag on the bottom of the bore, blocking the throttle from closing fully when it returns slowly.  "Goosing" the pedal is like slamming a door that sticks.

Sorry, not much help with the other problems.  I saturated the fiberboard air deflector (on my former TR3A) with rattle-can paint (which took a lot more coats than I thought it would, 6 or 7 as I recall) and it seemed to hold up well.  But I don't drive in the rain much, so doesn't prove anything.

I've seen several people fashion replacements from thin aluminum, but of course that doesn't look original (though it does look nice).

Randall