Subject: [TR] TR6 transmission

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:22:24 -0700

The next time that it happens turn off the engine with the pedal still 
depressed and see if it will go into gear then. That should tell you 
whether it is a clutch or transmission issue.

My Stag does this now and then and my opinion is it is an oil soaked 
clutch plate.  The rear main is damaged. Every now and then 
particularlywhen the motor is cold it will exhibit similar behavior.  It 
will go into 4th with a bit of effort and then once you get it rolling 
at all it is easy enough to get into first gear.  It's just the oil 
holding the plate to the flywheel.

I would tend to think that if it was a broken pivot pin you would have 
the problem all the time rather than intermittently. The same for low 
fluid or defective hydraulics. Of interest I have seen a worn master 
that when the pedal was moved quickly would pull air into the system 
through the worn seals.  Made it almost impossible to bleed.

Did the clutch pedal feel any different when it happened?

Edward Hamer
PetalumaCA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:00:42 -0500

I will interject a small comment here.

my daughter's 350Z occasionally (as in once or twice every couple of hours 
of driving) would simply refuse to go into gear.  work with it a minute or 
two, and then it would work just fine.  also, very intermittantly, the 
clutch pedal would not come back up.

she researched it, and found it was likely in the hydraulics.  we took it to 
a mechanic, and he also said it sounded like an issue with the master clutch 
cylinder.  he of course could not get it to misbehave.   I had him replace 
the slave at the same time, and the problem has gone away.  maybe that's 
just a nissan, or maybe its relevant, I don't know.