Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Sputtering

From: Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:19:22 -0500

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *       installed NEW plug wires (yellow/black) and distributor cap
>

A friend who owns an auto parts store told me a few years ago that there
were a lot of bad distributor rotors out there for the tractor engine cars.
He sourced some from another provider and I never had another issue with my
TR4 vintage race car. I also know that TR6 rotors were an issue for a while
as well. When was the last time you changed yours? When mine went bad, it
started out as a high speed misfire.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:33:43 -0500

Brian,
Take Irv's suggestion of a new rotor first, I had heard the same thing a few
years back.

if the problem persists I would check the float level settings and that new
fuel pump.  I had a weak new fuel pump that showed up between 50 & 60 MPH.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Aug 14, 2014, at 3:07 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

I've been fighting a problem with our TR4A for a couple of years and it just
won't go away.  Symptom is a "sputtering" at high-way speeds.  Performance
seems fine - it just becomes no fun on longer trips.  Our annual fall sojourn
to Stowe is coming up and I'm looking for ideas.  So far:
*       replaced defective stainless steel muffler that had incomplete welds
on the intake - lifetime warranty honoured by TRF - thanks guys!
*       fixed problem with coil to distributor wire which was not fully
"home"
in distributor resulting in pin making poor contact - checked all other plug
wires at pins - ok
*       installed NEW plug wires (yellow/black) and distributor cap
*       perhaps unrelated, but replaced fuel pump that went bad 2 years ago
in
Stowe - replacement was Moss reproduction
Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Brian
_______________________________________________________________________
  Brian Thomas                    E-mail:
  92 Wyona Lane, R R 1       Phone:  613-385-1947
  Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:     54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR,
75 John Deere 920
  CANADA   K0H

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Hammond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:55:26 -0700

I am about to mount the engine to the frame of my TR4A IRS. There are 2 sets
of holes in the frame. Do I use the rear most?
David
66TR4A

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:01:18 -0500

Brian,

Had the same issue with my TR4A a while back.

For reasons that will be apparent later, I need to state that I have an
electric cooling fan which I rarely turn on.
I use it only at stops, or slow driving.

After close to an hour of highway driving, the car would act like it was being
starved of fuel.

I checked everything out (carbs, floats, spark, etc.) and everything looked
OK.
Plus, the problem would go away after I stopped for a little while.

One day, for an unrelated issue, I installed one of those shiny heat shields
for the carbs, and the problem went away!
My theory is that running for long periods without the cooling fan on was
causing enough trapped heat around the carbs to create a running condition
akin to vapor lock.

"home"
in
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 20:28:11 +0000

Thanks to all who have replied in regards to my "sputtering" problem.  Lots of
good ideas and I'll be working through the list.

This afternoon, I pulled the plugs and the front two were a nice grey/tan
colour while the back two were quite black.  Suspect the rear carb (SU) needs
to be leaned out a little.

Another problem I'm having is that once the car gets up to operating
temperature, the idle will not return to 800 rpm unless the gas pedal is
goosed.  I've been told my throttle shafts are worn and the carbs are likely
sucking air around them.  Is this the likely cause?  The linkage is in good
shape and moves freely.

... and while I've got your ears, a couple of parts I've replaced on the 4
have not lasted well - I wonder if others have experienced the same and how
they've solved?

1. Radiator air deflector - this fibreboard product does not like to get wet
(as it does when driving in the rain).  The lip on the radiator side does not
appear to be rigid enough to keep the top surface in shape and it sags down 3
or 4 inches.  I'm on my second one at present.  I've tried spray painting both
sides with enamel (to waterproof it) but this has not been overly successful.

2. Turn Signal Switch - I'm on the 3rd one of these.  Problem is the return
stops working (and of course I drive on and on with the signal flashing) - I
can just hear the comments - silly old fart ...

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian
_______________________________________________________________________
   Brian Thomas                    E-mail:  [email-masked]
   92 Wyona Lane, R R 1       Phone:  613-385-1947
   Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:     54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR, 
75 John Deere 920
   CANADA   K0H 2Y0

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:16:30 -0700

Sounds familiar. I had the same plug fouling issue - I checked the floats,
cleaned the float valves, reset the timing, checked the mixture, full tune
up (points, condenser - don't forget that - cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil),
added a heat shield, replaced the fuel filter, put an electric fuel pump
in-line. Finally pulled the carbs and sent them off to be rebuilt. 

I tried the normal test of spraying starter fluid around the carburetor
shafts, but got no increase in rpms. However there was some wiggle in the
shaft so I figured it had to be done anyway. Butterflys were replaced in the
rebuild, so that could have been an issue also. 

The carbs are on their way back to me so I don't know for sure that will
cure the problem, but I am hopeful.

Bob 

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian
Thomas
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 1:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Sputtering

Thanks to all who have replied in regards to my "sputtering" problem.  Lots
of good ideas and I'll be working through the list.

This afternoon, I pulled the plugs and the front two were a nice grey/tan
colour while the back two were quite black.  Suspect the rear carb (SU)
needs to be leaned out a little.

1. Radiator air deflector - this fibreboard product does not like to get wet
(as it does when driving in the rain).  The lip on the radiator side does
not appear to be rigid enough to keep the top surface in shape and it sags
down 3 or 4 inches.  I'm on my second one at present.  I've tried spray
painting both sides with enamel (to waterproof it) but this has not been
overly successful.

Cheers,

Brian

75 John Deere 920
   CANADA   K0H 2Y0                       

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:07:45 -0700

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Brian Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> not
> sides with enamel (to waterproof it) but this has not been overly
> successful...
>

I used Thompson's Water Seal on mine and it still looks like new and has
kept its shape 13 years later (more than I can say about the driver).

Disclaimer -  I live in a mostly dry climate though I have driven in the
rain many times.

Geo

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 20:39:32 -0700

I highly recommend:
http://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=476

Mine fits great and looks great
Johnnie
'67tr4a

> Thanks to all who have replied in regards to my "sputtering" problem.
Lots of good
> ideas and I'll be working through the list.
> 
colour
> while the back two were quite black.  Suspect the rear carb (SU) needs to
be
> leaned out a little.
temperature,
> the idle will not return to 800 rpm unless the gas pedal is goosed.  I've
been told my
> throttle shafts are worn and the carbs are likely sucking air around them.
Is this the
> likely cause?  The linkage is in good shape and moves freely.
> 
have not
> lasted well - I wonder if others have experienced the same and how they've
solved?
> 
> 1. Radiator air deflector - this fibreboard product does not like to get
wet (as it does
> when driving in the rain).  The lip on the radiator side does not appear
to be rigid
> enough to keep the top surface in shape and it sags down 3 or 4 inches.
I'm on my
> second one at present.  I've tried spray painting both sides with enamel
(to
> waterproof it) but this has not been overly successful.
> 
> 2. Turn Signal Switch - I'm on the 3rd one of these.  Problem is the
return stops
> working (and of course I drive on and on with the signal flashing) - I can
just hear
> the comments - silly old fart ...
> 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com