Subject: [TR] charging problem

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:32:35 -0400

Hello,

63 TR4 + ground generator system.

After arriving home last night after a 40m ride. I turned off the engine 
to open the garage door.

Noticed the ignition light still red when key in off psn. Engine stopped ok.

Tried restarting, ok but red light stayed on.

Tried this a few times and finally the red light went off when I turned 
off the key.

Tried to start the car and after a minute or so, red light went off and 
ammeter showed a + charge. So I figured maybe the control box just 
goofed up.

Looked at it this AM and now there is no charge indicated by red light 
staying on and a slight discharge at the ammeter. I pulled off all 
connections to the control box and re-attached. Cleaned the contacts in 
the box.

Took off the generator and hooked + to ground and - to the large 
terminal and it spun like a motor using my camper 12 battery downstairs.

I put a new generator on the car and same problem. It started to charge 
for a second but then the red light came on again and small discharge. 
Tested the new generator and it does not spin. I got this on sale a 
number of years ago from TRF.

So, did I test the generator correctly? Cant remember its been so long.

Or is my control box toast.

I remember Randal posting something about a manual to test the control 
box but I lost it.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:58:42 -0700

> Tried restarting, ok but red light stayed on.

That almost sounds like a wiring problem somewhere, like maybe a short near the red light.  But maybe it's just the cutout acting
crazy.

> terminal and it spun like a motor using my camper 12 battery 

That's a popular test, but in my experience it doesn't mean a lot.  I've seen generators that would run like that, and still had
shorted windings, thrown solder, etc.

> for a second but then the red light came on again and small 

Well, hopefully that's just the control box acting up again.  I wouldn't think it could burn up in just "a second".

> number of years ago from TRF.

Might be worth trying again, with the two terminals connected together.  But IMO it would be better to go through the steps in the
booklet.

> Or is my control box toast.

Seems like the most likely explanation, to me.  The unfortunate part is that a failed control box may cause the generator to fail as
well.

> I remember Randal posting something about a manual to test 

http://tinyurl.com/l3ja4wh

Randall