Subject: [TR] TR4 Blown Gasket Story Ends Happily

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 19:07:00 -0700

All is well - cylinder pressure reading between 170 and 180 all all four.
I've learned to have all pugs out and the throttle open to get consistent
readings.

In the process, had the manifold surface trued up, and the new headers'
face as well, providing a nice tight match. New studs all around - ARP's
for the head - which required some reboring on the manifold face. To my
delight, the new header fit perfectly.  Took the opportunity of an almost
empty engine compartment to clean up and spray new black all around. Its a
black car so touching up is easy. Looks pretty good. Finally, substituted a
1 3/4 tail pipe for the old 1 1/2 incher back to the muffler. Re-set the
timing, adjusted the Webers and the new plugs are running clean.

So for now the engine is starting quickly, idling smoothly at 800, tires
are squeeking from stop, acceleration is s good as its ever been and I'm a
happy Traveler. Now to get the Stag on the road.....

Thanks again to everyone who  helped get this car running like it should.

John Howard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive