Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 7, Issue 198

From: Joe DeMuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:16:59 -0500

> Man, lighten up. To each his own.
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 06:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TR] Somebody buy this (and stop me from thinking about
>    it)
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> .
> 
> I drive my car every day to work. 15 miles each way including freeways. I
> would really be put off if I had to do that in the showroom car, because
> mine was that at one time, and it sucked. So I put in some creature
> comforts, Miata seats, better brakes, a tuned engine, a Toyota trans, Nissan
> rear end and bigger tires. And, oh yes, a stereo with amp and subwoofer. And
> it looks bitchin too! I'll venture to bet that my car, with modifications,
> is worth as much if not more than an original.
> 
> 
> 
> What is sad for me is that you still claim to drive a Triumph!  You really
> should have bought a clapped out Camaro, then no one would care when you piled
> the "mods" on it.  Surely you jest in saying  that your modification laden
> "street rod" is worth more than an original!
> 
> 
> Lou Metelko
> Auburn, Indiana
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> Triumphs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 7, Issue 198
> ****************************************

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:58:34 -0700

Who is supposed to lighten up?

John, who declares on a Triumph list that he uses a Toyota gearbox, Miata
seats and a Nissan rear because his TR 'sucked'?

Or Lou, who is saddened by this wholesale replacement of Triumph parts with
Japanese parts?

I realize anyone can do what they wish with their car, but if sentiments
are expressed I have to agree with Lou.

Geo

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Well said Joe, I agree.
> JVV
>
> ---- Joe DeMuth <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:40:39 -0500

I agree with Joe. There are more than enough in museums, and I want not the
car Dad bought in 1959 but the car I wanted in 1968. And the modern upgrades
really do make the usable today.

Ken Gano

Sent from my iPad

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:17:25 -0400

I agree with Joe also.
It I would have been able to by my 1968 TR4A when it was new, I would have 
been modifying it the whole time I had the thing right up to when I went 
into the service.. But then I grew up in California in the '50's and 60's so 
modifying cars was expected.
As far as value, I don't think anybody who owns a Triumph is even remotely 
considering selling it unless there is some unfortunate circumstance that is 
forcing them. So, what it's worth hopefully is no more important that what 
it would cost to replace it.
One other point is that if you have ever watch one of these televised auto 
auctions, the value of a car completely depends not on what the owner thinks 
it's worth but what the buyer thinks it's worth..
Now, let's get back to enjoying our cars!!
Dave Connitt
1968 "slightly modified" TR4A.

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:21:07 +0100

Are Miata seats supposed to be comfortable? I spent last Saturday as a
Navigator on a club run for MX5's (the Miata for Europe) and was glad to get
home. What an utterly boring car. No rattles, no clunks, no unexpected
twitches from the back end and all too quiet for me in every respect - and
those seats were h**l !!!!!
I've no wish to ever ride in an MX5 again and they're ten for a penny here -
as everywhere else for that matter. Most them seem to be driven by women "of
a certain age" who are in bottom lip biting mode at 60mph and terrified
their blonde highlights and false fingernails will vanish in the slipstream.
Gimme a sidescreen TR with the Michelin X tyre technology of fifty years
back and an overdrive and I'll be as close to heaven as one can get this
side of mortality. Same goes for a Mk 1 GT6, Healey 100/6 or late model 3000
for a narrow English road, a slick surface and a few unexpected surprises
thrown in for good measure.

Jonmac

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: "Bob Danielson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:28:29 -0400 gMwnLiOLEUoe+sR73nzBeB1JB5VISeFg0itXMZ0/bjujO0YBJj qYp+K5MsVsqIkB1bbA5ZHA/Y88a3fAIfn3GvnjafwsuAai5Asq 6Mu/g0tw3Z+8NuqheQDLzFJDSdzoq2PIdGDKZyMP3PJ5caYCGk DwNzhMuPnq8HO7+w6eJhS37lV9UmrDtAAM+mNq1p0LePzAgVXN os8uKKCAn5XqM78UBVAKoaL33ga1Wmd1N6G6fcsKDsx/DE5kHC gZsiO2yNgLlyWgUmVWDtUm7xm19bzLSGYvK9ehaorwozmjJ2L9 CrSKh47PAw0O19wB8zcZLXqlJutyw10ojodGDthFF

I'm late to this party................... for the first 10 years of 
ownership I kept my car completely stock..... stock and somewhat 
reliable....but I got tired of constantly chasing backfires, misses, 
stumbles, hesitations, carb tweaking, bad rotors, a marginal wire harness 
etc etc. Some guys love spending hours tweaking, fixing and chasing those 
types of problems and their trunks are fully stocked with tools and spare 
parts. God bless them and their perseverance. So modification #1 was a 
modern alternator and a AAW wire harness that has eliminated any and all 
electrical problems for the past 10 years.... Following that was converting 
it to Throttle Body Injection..... yup fuel injected the way it should have 
been done..... starts instantly at any temperature, instant throttle 
response, no misses, backfires etc and gets great fuel mileage.... I set the 
timing 8 years ago and it's never needed to be reset..... then a Toyota 5 
speed and a Nissan Q45 differential along with CVJs..... and the list goes 
on and on.... In my mind I've lost none of the TR6 driving pleasure but have 
made it 100% more reliable. These guys seem to agree with me 
http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2009/02/01/hmn_feature1.html  Any other 
TR6s ever been the cover story for Hemmings? And don't knock the Miata seats 
with a headrest that actually protects your head! BL should have stayed with 
the safer early seats.

If I ever sell the car I bet it does better than any other '75 in similar 
condition....... In fact there was a thread on the List a number of years 
back where value/desirability was ranked #1- 4 Speed with OD, #2 - 5 speed 
and #3 - 4 speed.

I may not agree with what some people do to their cars but it's their car, 
it makes them happy and it keeps the car on the road. Let's not be quick to 
criticize and judge.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/
1975 Mimosa TR6
TBI, 5 Speed, LSD, CVJs

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:22:05 -0400

> On Jul 21, 2014, at 7:21 PM, "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
> those seats were h**l !!!!!

John, your comments strike a certain note for me: I can't help but take note
of the fact that the only reason Miata seats are so easily obtained is that
Miata owners can't stand them and can't wait to get rid of them.

Cheers

---

From: Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:13:18 -0500

> Miata owners can't stand them and can't wait to get rid of them.

Actually, as someone who has had them in my TR6 since 2005, I find them
extremely comfortable. I have driven my TR6 over 700 miles in one day
numerous times over the years and have felt great at the end of the drive.
Some people acquire Miata seats for their cars as a matter of economics. A
pair of Miata seats typically costs less than replacement foam kits alone
for the stock seats.

Why are so many Miata seats available? It's called Spec Miata. One of the
most popular classes in SCCA history, Spec Miata is so popular that on any
given weekend, there are probably more Miatas being raced than any other
single model. Spec Miata prep rules allow for the removal of the stock
seats, so that a racing seat may be installed.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U (original owner, no Miata, just the seats)
Highland Park, Il

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:41:29 +0100

Jack McGahey wrote

Very possibly, Jack. IMHO, if I found an MX5/Miata in my unintended and
accidental ownership, I wouldn't rid myself of just the seats. The car may
suit millions of others but in my book it's just a 'Bimbo's Barge' and I
hope I'm never found dead in one:)

John

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:11:12 -0400 (EDT)

Don't beat around the bush, John, just tell us how you really feel about the
MX5/Miata!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana