Subject: Re: [TR] So there I was..again

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 13:29:54 -0700

On 7/5/14, 1:10 PM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> I think the casual meeting of total strangers with a common interest are one
> of the great suprises and pleasures of owning and driving an old British car.
>

I enter my TR3 in the local Flagstaff annual downtown car show each 
year.  It is one of less than five British cars that tend to enter.

I've found that kids love the car.  It is more their size.  And unlike 
most of the exhibitors I spend most of my day by my car letting children 
site behind the wheel while their parents take photographs of their 
child usually with one hand on the wheel and an elbow draped over the 
door.  Those kids just might fondly remember my TR3 when it comes time 
to buy a car.  A lot of parents who have no idea of what a Triumph is 
get educated along the way and a lot of adults get their picture taken 
with the car as well.

Bringing a TR out to a classic car show is a way to introduce people to 
the old British classics.

Besides it gives me an excuse to clean and polish it at least once a year.

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 16:57:00 -0700

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

And unlike most of the exhibitors I spend most of my day by my car letting
> children site behind the wheel while their parents take photographs of
> their child usually with one hand on the wheel and an elbow draped over the
> door...

If you haven't tried it, let me assure you that this is a great way to
enjoy your TR.  All kids get a turn at the wheel, sometimes I tell them the
horn is giving me trouble and could the test it?

I carry a load of Hot Wheels in the boot and every kid gets a car take with
them (most are British, some are TR6s).

It goes like this:    Kids in TRs <http://goo.gl/sze2sF>

I realize some of you have cars restored to a level that you couldn't feel
good about kids climbing all over it, but if you can stand it -- this is a
lot of fun for everyone, even better than collecting trophies.

Geo

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 22:55:13 -0500

RE:  Kids and TRs--My first sports car memory was from when a was about 5 
years old give or take I would wake up before everybody else on the weekend 
and go roam around the neighborhood (different times) One fine morning I 
happened upon a TR2 or TR3, the shape burned into my little blank slate 
brain, a cool little car that looked like I could climb in and take it for a 
spin.  It was just around the corner, and I don't remember ever seeing it 
but that one morning, which was from memory one of those first warm mornings 
of spring when the air was fresh and clean.  Yes, I think the cars leave an 
impression on kids.

RE:  Big Dogs and Sports Cars--One of my first jobs was at a place called 
Foreign Auto Parts, they did service and repairs also, I was a parts runner 
and clean up guy, anyway, the owner had an Irish Wolfhound that hung out in 
the shop everyday and went was regularly transported in the owner's daily 
driver Alfa Spyder, the dogs head stuck out over the windshield and they 
were quite a site running around town.

Greg Lemon

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 23:37:48 -0500

There's a guy in the Utah club that rides around with his English Sheep dog in
his TR3, quite a site.

Always invite what I perceive to be responsible kids to sit in the car if
parents are near by.

Also have an old Land Rover that gets to a few shows "cool Jeep, Buddy!"  Sign
on the front says "all kids welcome".  They turn every knob and flip every
switch, it's virtually indestructible.   Lots of fun for all ages.

Not sure how I ended up in a TR3, everyone I knew had a different LBC, maybe I
was just trying to be different.  I still am....

Bill B
1962 TR3B
1967 Morgan 4/4
1968 Land Rover Series 2A

Sent from mobile Bill

On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:55 PM, "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]> wrote:

RE:  Kids and TRs--My first sports car memory was from when a was about 5
years old give or take I would wake up before everybody else on the weekend
and go roam around the neighborhood (different times) One fine morning I
happened upon a TR2 or TR3, the shape burned into my little blank slate brain,
a cool little car that looked like I could climb in and take it for a spin.
It was just around the corner, and I don't remember ever seeing it but that
one morning, which was from memory one of those first warm mornings of spring
when the air was fresh and clean.  Yes, I think the cars leave an impression
on kids.

RE:  Big Dogs and Sports Cars--One of my first jobs was at a place called
Foreign Auto Parts, they did service and repairs also, I was a parts runner
and clean up guy, anyway, the owner had an Irish Wolfhound that hung out in
the shop everyday and went was regularly transported in the owner's daily
driver Alfa Spyder, the dogs head stuck out over the windshield and they were
quite a site running around town.

Greg Lemon

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 05:53:06 -0700

> 1968 Land Rover Series 2A
I've found that the TR3 and Series Land Rover are such different driving 
experiences that when you switch back and forth depending upon what you 
are doing and your mood you never get tired of either.  But it is the 
Land Rover that carries the dog and ventures out in the snow.  These 
cars are a great complimentary pair.

There was a very recent off topic thread on one of the Land Rover lists 
about who owns other British cars.  It seems a lot of Land Rover owners 
also own a British car.  Mostly TRs & MGs but there is the occasional 
Morris, Bentley and tiger.

I have always been just a little jealous of Morgans.  To my mind they 
are just a little more Triumph like than a TR3.  Or should I say just a 
little closer to my idea of the ideal Triumph than my TR3.  No way would 
I kick a Morgan Super Sport out of my garage.

Nice group of cars Bill.

TeriAnn
1961 TR3A (built in spring of 1960)
1960 Land Rover Dormobile

My only vehicles.