Subject: Re: [TR] Type A overdrive question

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:44:17 -0400

Ron:  with the ignition on and the car in 3rd or fourth you should hear a
distinct click when engaging the overdrive.  If you hear a click, check you
have plenty of oil in the system.  If there is no click, the problem is
electrical.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ron
landis
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:08 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Type A overdrive question

List.  I have a type A OD on my TR250.  It is from an Austin Healy.  On
occasion the OD will not "kick in", when I hit the switch.  I t appears the
solenoid is not working.  Then by magic it starts working.  I have replaced
the solenoid, relay under the hood, and the 3/4 th gear switch on the
transmission, also checked the spacers, and checked the Ground wire.  

Any
Ideas??

Thanks
Ron

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:40:12 -0600

Ron,

Check the wires on the OD column switch. I had a similar problem and it was
one of the wires on the switch that appeared to be connected but was broken
and would work/not work intermittently depending on the last bump in the road.

In addition, I also had a bad relay that happened about the same time that
caused me to chase my tail for quite awhile. Always fun when two things are
bad.

A careful soldering of the switch wire was needed and fixed the problem (along
with a new relay).

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jul 20, 2014, at 9:08 AM, ron landis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]