Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Coil

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:41:32 -0700

> Bosch is a brand I always trust to 
> have high 
> quality.  I wonder how the makers of knock off products can use the 
> Bosch name?

I don't know, but I suspect that all of those coils were actually made by Bosch or one of their subsidiaries.  They have factories
all over the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_GmbH#Locations

I owned a 71 Audi 100LS with all Bosch electrical system, and I have to say I was not impressed with the quality.  Some areas were
better than others, but overall I'd say it was only marginally better than Lucas during the same period.  

For example, Bosch fuses had to be changed periodically (even without being overloaded), because otherwise they would fail due to
old age!  The Bosch style fuses were just plastic forms with the fuse element bent around the outside.  The clip would pinch the
ends of the fuse element against the plastic form.  Over time, the fuse element would sag and eventually break from vibration and
heat.  I finally discovered that Bussman made glass fuses that would fit the Bosch fuse block, which solved the problem.

The Bosch version of a voltage stabilizer only lasted a few years before it burned out.  After the second one, I built my own from
much larger American components and never had a failure again.

The relay for the rear window defog grid was mounted under the hood; and used phenolic for the base (instead of the more expensive
but more effective fiberglass).  It got to where it would turn the grid on with the key off, only when conditions were just right.
Fought that one for many months, before I just happened to walk by the car one evening and notice the light glowing on the dash!

I also owned a VW Rabbit (aka Golf) from the same period, and it suffered from similar issues.  Its favorite trick was turning the
dome light back on after you had left the car, to run the battery down.  

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive