Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 7, Issue 198

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:34:43 -0500

I keep going through rears because I slide my <dreaded jap roadster> 
sideways through every corner I can manage it, normally laughing out 
loud.  Kind of like the way I drive my Tr-4 race car, come to think 
of it - they don't last long there either.  You're right, though - 
the seats are not the most comfortable thing in the world.  On the 
plus side it DOES leak a bit and the top doesn't seal very well in 
the rain.  And if you don't run it to redline (or past) at every 
opportunity it feels kind of sedate.  BTW the rev limiter kicks in 
500 rpm past redline.  :)

I love my Triumph, but I love other cars too.

Tony

At 09:11 PM 7/21/2014, marty wrote:
>We bought a Miater last spring.  Ibll be honest, at first I was like 
>eh, this is not my favorite car.  After driving it for a while, its 
>my DD in the summer, and getting a feel for what it actually had in 
>store for me I fell in love with it. It doesn't have the power of my 
>TR6 or TR8 but the darn thing handles like it on rails. Air is cold 
>and cruise works great. I can put the top up  or down 
>manually  while sitting in the drivers seat in about 30 seconds and 
>it does not leak. I have a 35 minute drive through the country each 
>way to work and I have a blast in the cures. I don't think tires are 
>going to last me long in this car.
>
>
>Marty
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Sent from Windows Mail
>
>
>
>
>
>From: John Macartney
>Sent: bMondayb, bJulybb21b, b2014 b7b:b21bbPM
>To: Triumph List
>
>
>
>
>
>Are Miata seats supposed to be comfortable? I spent last Saturday as a
>Navigator on a club run for MX5's (the Miata for Europe) and was glad to get
>home. What an utterly boring car. No rattles, no clunks, no unexpected
>twitches from the back end and all too quiet for me in every respect - and
>those seats were h**l !!!!!
>I've no wish to ever ride in an MX5 again and they're ten for a penny here -
>as everywhere else for that matter. Most them seem to be driven by women "of
>a certain age" who are in bottom lip biting mode at 60mph and terrified
>their blonde highlights and false fingernails will vanish in the slipstream.
>Gimme a sidescreen TR with the Michelin X tyre technology of fifty years
>back and an overdrive and I'll be as close to heaven as one can get this
>side of mortality. Same goes for a Mk 1 GT6, Healey 100/6 or late model 3000
>for a narrow English road, a slick surface and a few unexpected surprises
>thrown in for good measure.
>
>Jonmac
>
>
>---
>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus 
>protection is active.
>http://www.avast.com
>
>** [email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>** [email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:10:40 -0700

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument regarding what an owners
thinks is better, original or modified. Rather, I got ticked off that some
people only think that one way (truest) is the right way, and I spouted out.
Let me explain.

When I bought my '67 TR4A in 1970 my parents pleaded with me not to buy a
British car. They were born and raised in Scotland (as was I) and it was
common knowledge that anything BMC was built cheaply and needed a "lot of"
attention. They were right. Triumph was a poor man's Jaguar, but I wanted
one. 

First, the tranny broke. Syncho's failed and tore up 1st and 2nd. Then the
door mirror fell off. Then the leather seats dried out and cracked leaving
gaping holes The cardboard glove box fell apart. The windshield wipers were
slow. Hood release broke. Electrics were intermittent or didn't work.
Battery always ran dead. Starter was slooooow. Rear window in the top
yellowed in less than a year. Rattles everywhere. Top leaked. Window
regulator broke. The rear end got noisy then spewed all over the road. Some
may think all of this is as "charm", I don't. 

I hear stories about having to carry all these spare parts when taking a
trip. Are you kidding me? I carry a set of points/condensor in case the
Pertronix fails, and that's it. With the upgrades, the car doesn't break any
more and I have room for my golf clubs!

Again, I'm sorry as all of the above is my opinion of owning a daily driver
for the last 44 years.

Johnnie

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com