Subject: Re: [TR] So there I was

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 22:38:58 -0400

Yeah, TeriAnn, but I bet nobody came up to the Lambo driver in the parking
lot to talk about the Miura they used to have...

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I decided to get out today and take advantage of the fourth of July
> grocery sales.  I went through the sales papers. I looked for the best
> buys and planned a route that used the least amount of petrol.  I got
> into the TR3 and off I went shopping.  As usually I got the occasional
> thumbs up from other drives and people walking on the street.  At two of
> the store parking lots I got to hear the stories of the TR3 that someone
> had had as a young adult and some adventures they had. Several folk said
> "Nice car" & per usual the car attracted a number of kids in the parking
> lots who are fascinated by such a small car.
>
> My TR3 has a TR2 single muffler exhaust, four tube headers and a cam so
> it has a very noticeable sweet roar.  On the way home I was keeping the
> revs around 3500 RPM just listening to the sweet tone and I was feeling
> pretty full of myself.  I stopped at the last light on the way home,
> still with a self satisfied smile when a bright yellow Lamborghini
> pulled up alongside me. The driver did not glance my way but he did burp
> the V12 and when the light changed was long gone before I got out of the
> intersection.  Sometimes when you are feeling really good someone just
> comes along and takes the wind out of your sail. And I was feeling so
> full of myself and the TR mystique before I heard the V12 sing.  Sigh
>
> TeriAnn
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 20:55:50 -0600

I bet his fingernails were squeaky clean.

mjb.

---

From: "Tom Note" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 00:20:45 -0400

OTOH, a couple of yrs ago I had the TR6 on a hiway with a lot of traffic 
lites and was sort of casually dicing back and forth with a guy in a new 
Ferrari with our tops down.  We ended up at a lite together and he was quite 
friendly, compimenting me on the TR and answering a couple of Q's about his 
V8 . Not everybody is a jerk.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
To: "Triumph List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 10:25 PM
Subject: [TR] So there I was

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 07:54:40 -0500

Fear not Miss TeriAnn, class trumps fast every time.

Bill
1962 TR3B

Sent from mobile Bill

On Jul 3, 2014, at 9:25 PM, "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]> wrote:

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 09:31:19 -0400

Nice Story TerriAnn!
I think you should go for a long ride today. Chances are you might come 
across another Triumph owner.. Now that would be fun.
Dave Connitt

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 06:59:54 -0700

> Fear not Miss TeriAnn, class trumps fast every time.
But that V12 sounded soooo sweeet.  I've never cared much for 
Lamborghini styling but there is something about the throaty roar of an 
Italian V12 that resonates in my very soul.

My TR3 sings a very lovely song for a street 4 cylinder.  One that 
brings a smile to my lips whenever I fire the car up. But it sounds 
nothing like an Italian V12.  I guess I've spent too many years in the 
pits at the Monterey Historics and roaming around Monterey car week.

I'll recover.  Italian V12s don't often roam the streets of Flagstaff.  
Flagstaff is an American iron town.  The annual downtown car show limits 
entries to the first 500 and of those I have yet to see more than 5 
British entries and none of those pesky Italian V12 cars.

TeriAnn

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:07:56 -0700

On 7/4/14, 6:31 AM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> Nice Story TerriAnn!
> I think you should go for a long ride today. Chances are you might 
> come across another Triumph owner.. Now that would be fun.
> Dave Connit
Thanks for the advice Dave but it looks a lot like rain for the back 
half of the 4th and every day for the upcoming week.  We need it badly.

My 1960 Land Rover blew a head gasket on the final leg of a recent 
camping trip and I am in the process of buttoning the engine back up.  
Any dry time will be spent under the bonnet. The truck is 4 inches too 
tall to fit into the garage.

There is only one other Triumph owner in town.  He has a TR3 & a TR6.  
There is a guy who owns some Morris Minors but I haven't seen him on the 
road for about 2 years.  It is truly a British car desert up here in the 
high country.

TeriAnn

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:59:28 -0500

TeriAnn -

you're always an inspiration and a great story teller.

it saddens me that you would let this guy end your story this way.

I would rather end it with:  as kewl as I thought that car was, I realized 
that with no trunk and no rear parcel area, it was a lousy grocery shopping 
car.

-----Original Message----- 
From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:25 PM
To: Triumph List
Subject: [TR] So there I was

TeriAnn

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:52:47 -0700

On 7/4/14, 6:59 AM, dave n wrote:
> I would rather end it with:  as kewl as I thought that car was, I 
> realized that with no trunk and no rear parcel area, it was a lousy 
> grocery shopping car.
I'm sorry but I'm readily seduced by the sound of a throaty Italian V12. 
On the other hand, I've never been fond of Lamborghini styling and had 
it been parked I would not give it a second glance.  I have no idea of 
how much space it has for groceries nor would I even care.

Since the Land Rover has been sick my TR has stepped in for all the 
chores. Her boot has been filled with plants from the nursery, 
groceries, 2 cu ft bags of top soil (two in the boot, three in the 
passenger side floor & seat + one on the rear seat), cylinder heads to 
and from the machine shop and valve covers to and from the powder 
coater.  But the one thing my TR can not do is take my Irish Wolfhound 
to and from the dog park and the TR doesn't appreciate being out in the 
rains so she will be of very limited use this upcoming week.

I've owned my 3 for 28 years now and have grown attached to it.  And yes 
a drive always cheers me up.

One thing I could add to the story is that when I got into traffic 
heading to the first grocery store (cherries on sale for 99 cents a 
pound) I exchanged waves with a person going the other direction driving 
a late 1930's or early 1940's custom street rod that had a paint job 
that could have been more expensive than my TR3.  A lot of the people in 
Flagstaff who drive the old classics feel a kinship no matter what the 
marque.

It is always nice when I have a parking lot chat with someone who owned 
a 3 decades ago.  They always have a life experience or two to share and 
always walk away with a smile on their lips as they mentally relive 
happy memories.  Its one of the nice things about time.  The good 
memories get better and the bad ones fade.

But if you keep the car those memories just keep on accumulating. They 
really are memory creation machines.

TeriAnn

---

From: Joe Burlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 20:27:22 -0400

Don't feel bad, just think about the $8k he gets to spend on the tune up. The
$10k he spends on a steering rack.  $300 for a thermostat.  Or the fact he
literally can't take his car out of second gear without risking a jail
sentence. Oh, plus the fact that when you are doing 60 you feel like you are
doing a 160. When is doing a 160 he feels like he is doing 60!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 3, 2014, at 22:25, "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:24:52 +0100

Some years ago now when out in my 2500PI, I found myself being tailgated by
a 'yuppie' in a BMW. I don't know about North America, but in the UK most
BMW drivers can't stand being held up and usually think they own the road.
Much the same applies to those driving Audis. I digress.

Anyway, this individual came past me and then settled down to let me
tailgate him. As the road was straight and still with no sign of the 'Hun'
showing any signs of going faster and with no oncoming traffic, I selected
third gear, floored the accelerator to 5,500 and as the howling exhaust was
level with the BMW driver's ear, I flicked into overdrive which produced a
most pleasing snarl. I was in front again and without any stress or hassle.
This was just too much for the 'yuppie' (who was probably a sales rep
worrying about not meeting his sales target) and he just had to overtake me
again and at such a speed, he disappeared from view. Fine. No prob - and it
had been fun.

Three or so miles later, I saw him parked up in a 'pull off' and being
interviewed by a uniformed man in a high vis jacket holding a radar gun. The
police car was hidden in a gateway to a field. I tootled past at a
respectable (and legal speed) without further let or hindrance - but it
really made my day, especially as the BMW driver probably wasn't even born
the day my car left the line in Coventry in 1970. Twat!

Jonmac

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:20:29 -0400

On 7/4/2014 9:59 AM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman wrote:
> Italian V12s don't often roam the streets of Flagstaff. Flagstaff is an
> American iron town.  The annual downtown car show limits entries to the
> first 500 and of those I have yet to see more than 5 British entries and
> none of those pesky Italian V12 cars.

I just got back from a trip to Florida...in a two-block length, I passed 
a Land Rover Dealer, a Lotus Dealer, and a combination Jaguar and 
Maserati dealer.  But I still am quite satisfied with my little 
six-cylinder song.

At least until I win the lottery.  Then I'll build a bigger garage.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:26:32 -0400

On 7/5/2014 9:24 AM, John Macartney wrote:
> a 'yuppie' in a BMW.

One advantage to driving a clapped-out Triumph is that a simple 
downshift will dump enough oil on the front of his car to convince him 
that distance is the better part of valor...

---

---

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:01:09 -0400

BTDT...on purpose as well!

My (sorry for the blasphemy here ) MG Midget use to disappear from the 
garage once in awhile.....
...the wife would take it out and buzz around..... inevitably telling me 
a story afterwards of how she 'greased some guy' for tailgating her.
yes...you could usually SEE the oil spots on their windshield as they 
attempted to use their wipers as they were backing off.
My GT6 was good for that as well...not so much my spit6 though.

ptegler

On 7/6/2014 8:26 PM, Jeff wrote:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]