Subject: [TR] Could it be rings

From: "Italyfound" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:20:47 +0200

Hello all....

Need some input on a problem with my '59 TR3A.

Two years ago #3 cylinder went along with the rings.

Replaced the cylinder with original brand and rings. Everything was
fine....engine ran well.

The car has about 1500 miles on it since the repair.

Last week developed a major rough idle. Today pulled the plugs and for the
most part they were fouled. This is uncommon for this car as it runs rich.

Cleaned all the plugs reset points and plugs and started the car. Fired right
up...ran like a kitten for about 3 minutes.....when it started running rough
again.

Pulled #3 plug and it was black. What I noticed was fumes coming out of the
plug hole.

Prior to this I had to try and adjust the old type plug wire for this cylinder
as it appeared loose and I thought it was causing a misfire.

I am suspecting a few issues here.
  1.. #3 cylinder plug wire is causing a misfire where combustion is not
complete and when the plug is removed the fumes are a result of not firing.
  2.. The rings are gone and or both the rings and cylinder...
Any input appreciated!

Alex Manzo
59 TR3A
72 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:18:23 -0500

First thing, check the compression to see if all cylinders are within 10-15
lbs of each other(highest to lowest).

If #3 is good and you suspect the wire, replace it and see what happens.   If
you don't have a new set just swap the wire with a known good cylinder.

If you don't have a good bead cleaner for the plugs, put in a new set.

Good luck, I hope it's just the wire!

Bill B
1862 TR3

Sent from mobile Bill

On Jul 11, 2014, at 6:20 AM, "Italyfound" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello all....

Prior to this I had to try and adjust the old type plug wire for this
cylinder
as it appeared loose and I thought it was causing a misfire.

Alex Manzo
59 TR3A
72 TR6

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]