Subject: [TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversion

From: ED <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 11:21:18 -0400 FILETIME=[6F0950A0:01CF9B89]

All,

I know that there has been previous discussions on converting to tube shocks
on the TR6, however, I have lost the previous emails and would like the advice
of the group regarding converting and in particular using the 'Blind Moose'
kit.  It seems to me that it would tear loose at the mount points.

Regards,

Ed Morat
1973 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 18:12:37 +0000

---- Dave <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Run, don't walk, away from this conversion.  This puts the shock
> loading onto the inner wheel well which was not designed for this
> loading. 

I believe you are thinking of a different conversion.  The "Blind Moose" conversion is the one that Herman van den Akker designed and installed on his own TR250.  It only attaches to the original shock mount.
http://www.blindmoosefab.com/rear_shock.htm

BTW, the original shock mount wasn't really designed for the load that a tube shock puts on it either.  I've heard many reports of it breaking.  So some reinforcement is probably a good idea.

Randall

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 18:14:27 +0000 (GMT) aEQpYTRdLEQptfhcaEQpMWRcbGhsbEQpZSRcRClleF2hueREKQ04XSxsZGmJCH2lhGEd+GXhzB xwTGxIbHnwZEQpFQxcWT05OExsZSUwHGk8bTwceGhJIB0gdSxwHTxtJGh4YTBxOGxsZakdPBEl FRxQRClhcFxkEGgQbHgdNThwTGhodEwUbHQQbHRgEEhkEGxIQGx4aHxsRCl5ZF2ESU1lDEQpDW hcbHQQbHRgEGBgaBBgeHREKQl4XGxEKRFgXGBEKREkXGxEKQkYXZWhwR11yaRNLHUkRCkJFF2l uQXNtH0NpfnBcEQpCThdoRkJAH0h5HUcfZBEKQkwXbx5ke1pBSXITR2MRCkJsF2dOaxlLZFxPb BJBEQpCQBdpRGl/bk8Zf01lQxEKcGcXZ2F8fV8bTAFdGl0RCnBoF2hEblNiUxN5RmxCEQpwaBd vbWV8bl9vWHlQYhEKcGgXbWlAZlpFcmldHlMRCnBoF29OT25fHBhubnBjEQpwaBdoGmN5RE17Q ntbHxEKcH8XZ3Jfe24SYEwbWF0RCnBfF2h+ZR

Actually, I think the Blind Moose kit mounts just like that one.  I have it
on my TR4A, and it has been fine, but I also don't put a lot of miles on it.
Bob Danielson has some pages on it, and a secondary brace that can be added:
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/BlindMoose2.htm

-Darrell

On Jul 09, 2014, at
10:51 AM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

Run, don't walk, away from this
conversion. This puts the shock
loading onto the inner wheel well which was
not designed for this
loading. Instead use something like this:
http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/t6/t6sh5.htm

This bracket puts the
shock absorber loading directly onto the frame
mount for the lever shock. I've
had this conversion on my car for 10+
years and I love it.

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: ED <[email-masked]        >
To: triumphs
<[email-masked]        >
Sent: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 10:21 am
Subject:
[TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversion

All,

I know that there has been previous
discussions on converting to tube
shocks
on the TR6, however, I have lost the
previous emails and would like the
advice
of the group regarding converting
and in particular using the 'Blind
Moose'
kit. It seems to me that it would
tear loose at the mount points.

Regards,

Ed Morat
1973 TR6

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1masse
[email-masked]

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/darrellw3
[email-masked]

---

From: "John Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:38:35 -0400

Ed,
Switching to the Blind Moose conversion and adjustable SPAX shocks  was one
of the first things I did to my 76 TR6 and the improvement in handling was
dramatic.  Now to be fair, the lever shocks that I took off were probably
shot.  After having the conversion on for about 5 years, I noticed the
cracking in the mounts and had everything reinforced, welded up and then I
added the recommended bracing.  Not one problem since, I still believe it is
one of the best upgrades I have made to the car.

John Cohen 

All,

I know that there has been previous discussions on converting to tube shocks
on the TR6, however, I have lost the previous emails and would like the
advice of the group regarding converting and in particular using the 'Blind
Moose'
kit.  It seems to me that it would tear loose at the mount points.

Regards,

Ed Morat
1973 TR6

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:52:10 -0400

Sorry, this is the first site I saw when I googled it:

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/BlindMoose.htm

I didn't read all the text.

Herman's kit, like the one I linked to, is the way to go if you want to
go tube conversion.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 1:12 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversion

> loading onto the inner wheel well which was not designed for this

I believe you are thinking of a different conversion.  The "Blind
Moose"
conversion is the one that Herman van den Akker designed and installed
on his
own TR250.  It only attaches to the original shock mount.
http://www.blindmoosefab.com/rear_shock.htm

BTW, the original shock mount wasn't really designed for the load that
a tube
shock puts on it either.  I've heard many reports of it breaking.  So
some
reinforcement is probably a good idea.

Randall

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:55:40 -0400

My first kit was like that.  There were three pieces on each side.  A
bracket in the wheel well, a bracket on the inside the tub and a third
that bolted to the shock mount on the frame.  Aside from the 16 holes
needed in the coachwork and getting things aligned properly, the tires
rubbed.

Too soon old, too late smart.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
To: Dave <[email-masked]>
Cc: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 1:14 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversion

Actually, I think the Blind Moose kit mounts just like that one. B I
have it on my TR4A, and it has been fine, but I also don't put a lot of
miles on it.

Bob Danielson has some pages on it, and a secondary brace that can be
added:

-Darrell

On Jul 09, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

This bracket puts the shock absorber loading directly onto the frame
mount for the lever shock. I've had this conversion on my car for 10+
years and I love it.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: ED <[email-masked] B  B  B  B >
To: triumphs <[email-masked] B  B  B  B >
Sent: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 10:21 am
Subject: [TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversion

All,

I know that there has been previous discussions on converting to tube
shocks
on the TR6, however, I have lost the previous emails and would like the
advice
of the group regarding converting and in particular using the 'Blind
Moose'
kit. It seems to me that it would tear loose at the mount points.

Regards,

Ed Morat
1973 TR6

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1m
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/darre
[email-masked]