Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Coil

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 06:30:04 -0400

Terry,

You can manually test the coil. Take the distributor ground wire off the coil
and place a jumper wire (well insulated)

Then apply power to the coil and then ground the wire and break  the ground.
Of course you need a spark gap tester on the coil output.  Keep yourself
insulated from BOTH the coil output wire and the ground wire.  Do you get a
spark coming from the coil?  Ideally you also have a condenser between the
ground terminal of the coil and ground, too, but you ought to see a spark even
without it.

If you don't get a good spark, then try the same test with a known good coil.

Also remember the TR3 and Pertronix do not use ballast resistors so you should
be using a 12volt, about 3 ohm, coil.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 13, 2014, at 1:48 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:48:51 +0000 (UTC)
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [TR] TR3 Coil
> Message-ID:
>
<[email-masked]
mcast.net>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Took a four hour drive yesterday, temperature in the 80's, and neared the
house when the TR3A stumbled briefly, then died altogether.  Got under the
hood and found no spark to the plugs.  Checked the voltage at the coil
positive terminal, and had that, so guessed it was either the coil itself or
the Pertrinox.  Wiring is solid core and connections are tight.  Dizzy cap is
good.  Tried three different rotors.  Changed out the dizzy plate to points,
still no spark.
>
> So, am in the market for a new coil.  This one is an aftermarket replacement
coil.  Anybody heard anything about limited durability on these?  If looking
for dependability, are the Flame Throwers better?
> Thanks, everyone.
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:02:16 -0700

Moss Motors has a video I think illustrates this test very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYJ3KvPhhY 

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Anthony
Rhodes
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 3:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Coil

Terry,

You can manually test the coil. Take the distributor ground wire off the
coil and place a jumper wire (well insulated)

ground terminal of the coil and ground, too, but you ought to see a spark
even without it.

If you don't get a good spark, then try the same test with a known good
coil.

Also remember the TR3 and Pertronix do not use ballast resistors so you
should be using a 12volt, about 3 ohm, coil.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> To: [email-masked]
<[email-masked]
o
mcast.net>
house when the TR3A stumbled briefly, then died altogether.  Got under the
hood and found no spark to the plugs.  Checked the voltage at the coil
positive terminal, and had that, so guessed it was either the coil itself or
the Pertrinox.  Wiring is solid core and connections are tight.  Dizzy cap
is good.  Tried three different rotors.  Changed out the dizzy plate to
points, still no spark.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]