Subject: Re: [TR] Somebody buy this (and stop me from thinking about it)

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:37:42 -0500

probably tr6 seats.  the dash would have been metal.  the dash, the seats, 
and ??? on the interior are not original.

you will have trouble selling this car due to these flaws.

likely there are other, non original modifications, further devaluing the 
car.

you are better buying a car that the seller acknowledges the issues rather 
than someone who clearly does not know these cars.  honestly, I would not 
touch this car.  this guy is just a used car salesman.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Don Hiscock
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:15 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Somebody buy this (and stop me from thinking about it)

NFI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Other-Roadster-1962-TR4-ORIGINAL-CA-CAR-RUST-FREE-RESTORED-ORIGINAL-DETAILED-HISTORY-/321465220384?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ad8d1fd20&item=321465220384&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:58:37 -0700

I'm sorry. What "issues"?  Yes, some modifications have been done to the
car, but that doesn't make it worth less. Some modifications make it worth
more. If you're a true-ist and want everything original there's nothing I
could see that wasn't able to be bolted back on. And cheaply.

Most original Triumph owners modified their cars in one way or another
because, admit it or not, our cars had drawbacks that needed fixed. Crappy
seats. Huge steering wheels that broke. No tunes. Detuned engines. No
cupholders. Saggy rear ends. You name it. The number of "original" cars is
extremely limited. Most of the ones I've seen at VTR concours are receptors
of what the suppliers have to offer. Trailer queens.

I drive my car every day to work. 15 miles each way including freeways. I
would really be put off if I had to do that in the showroom car, because
mine was that at one time, and it sucked. So I put in some creature
comforts, Miata seats, better brakes, a tuned engine, a Toyota trans, Nissan
rear end and bigger tires. And, oh yes, a stereo with amp and subwoofer. And
it looks bitchin too! I'll venture to bet that my car, with modifications,
is worth as much if not more than an original.

Questions to ask are: Is the body straight? How do the doors/bonnet/trunk
fit? Is there rust anywhere? Do the keys match? Does the body paint/interior
color/overdrive match the registration tag? Etc.

For $17,000, it's sounds like an eBay thing. Probably more like $12,000 on
the open market, as it seems to be a straight and complete car. The
modifications are up to the owner.

Johnnie

car.
> you are better buying a car that the seller acknowledges the issues rather
than
> someone who clearly does not know these cars.  honestly, I would not touch
this
> car.  this guy is just a used car salesman.
> 

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:28:02 -0500

Never thought I'd say this in the same sentence, but, $17,999 for a TR4, 
doesn't look like too bad a deal, pretty car.   I remember when people were 
restoring TR2s and 3s, and showing their well cared for or refurbished TR6s, 
and TR4s and 4As, particularly nice ones, were nowhere to be found.  The 
cars were underappreciated, pretty sure that has all changed, and rightfully 
so in my opinion.

Greg Lemon

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:17:55 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:

> Is there value in widening the plug gap?

For points systems I stick with 25, go to 35 - 40 for electronic.

mjb.

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:08:01 -0700

I'll offer some comments (if that is what you seek):

Seller says "*Since the entire car received a "complete" re-paint it does
not appear as if any partial painting has been done*" but the paint job is
not really complete, having omitted the engine bay and boot.  This begs the
question, What was the original color of the car?  At a minimum one would
want to see some photos of the car prior to the respray to assure oneself
that the car was as rust free as claimed.

Seller says "*Simply stated, the interior is in excellent original /
condition having received improvements and cosmetic attention as needed*"
but the interior is clearly not original nor as original.  Perhaps those
are Triumph seats, but not TR4 seats.  The original carpet would have been
grey.  The rear upholstery is a replacement, possibly not correctly
attached or possibly missing some parts.  I think these generally had white
piping on the black interior.

Statement that it is the "* - Original jack...   - Original jack handle*"
is incorrect, this car would have had a screw jack that fits through the
hole in the floorboard (similar to a TR3).  Also appears a plain sheet of
plywood has been substituted for the tire compartment lid.

Note that buyers outside of California get to pay a $195 processing fee.

None of this is to say this isn't a good car or worth something like the
asking price -- but one would want to look beyond the sellers claims and
judge the car for itself.  At a minimum, deviations from what is claimed
can be bargaining items should the sale come to that.

Best of luck,

Geo

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Don Hiscock <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:10:55 -0700

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> ...Uhm...that was because I dropped the screwdriver when the shock jolted
> all the way through the screwdriver's insulated handle.
>

This is why you want to have your mother-in-law or perhaps a kid brother
hold the screwdriver.

You can then assess the quality of spark based on how high they jump.