Subject: [TR] TR A type OD sealing

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:19:27 -0500

While I have the engine out for a rebuild, I am going to install a new  
OD adapter plate to hopefully fix an oil leak at that spot. I was also  
going to split the OD case and seal the case and brake ring until I  
read the Bentley manual which said no sealant on the brake ring. But I  
wonder if there is a "catch" in the instructions. The note about no  
sealant precedes the instructions for determining sun wheel end float  
and that makes sense because you don't want to include the sealant  
thickness in the measurements. After determining the end float and  
installing the correct thickness thrust washer, the instructions go on  
with the further assembly of the front and rear case with no further  
mention of sealant or no sealant.

That said, I don't remember if there was much or any leakage from the  
brake ring as the adapter plate leak sufficiently oiled the underside.  
The Larry Young-Sam Clark "manual" says to use Hylomar and that is  
probably what I did several years ago when I built it. Any thoughts?

Allen

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:12:18 -0500 (EST)

Allen,
Not an expert at all but the thru school of hard knocks I have learned that 
 the later and thicker OD adaptor plate will solve the leakage problem at 
that  location. 
I once had an A-Type OD that was fouled with silicone sealant in the oil an 
 would not operate acceptably.  It was slow to engage even after an  
attempt to rebuild.  
Hope this helps,
Darrell   

In a message dated 1/10/2014 2:25:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Allen

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:09:20 -0500

Thanks to everyone for your comments. One other thing that I  
encountered with the new OD adapter plate - I had to enlarge and  
square up the recess for the counter shaft just a tiny bit. As it was  
it caused the plate to rotate and the bolt holes wouldn't line up.

Allen

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 19:41:38 -0500

I used Hylomar on the last OD I rebuilt along with the thicker adapter plate 
with very good results, still have leaks but it's much less than before the 
rebuild. Glad I found Hylomar.
JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 5:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR A type OD sealing

Allen,

Allen