Subject: [TR] Steering Rack

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 20:46:17 -0500

List:

On to the next project. Reinstalling the steering rack in my 62 TR4 and am
curious on the correct fitment to center the rack.  I read the manual and
have the dimples on the rack where the aluminum brackets attach and are
clamped to the frame bracket with the u bolts.  I centered the pinion after
taking measurements of the full movement of the steering.  With the pinion
centered, I placed the new tie rod ends into their happy homes and did not
tighten.  What I noticed is that the steering is off as the wheels are
pointed to the left as doing a slight left turn.  The new tie rod ends are
both screwed on all the way so there is no room to turn it in to bring the
driver's side wheel straight.  Current angle has car turning to left
slightly.  The passenger side tie rod could be unscrewed out to bring wheel
straight ahead. But that doesn't help me on the driver's side.

It seems like the steering rack need to be slid to the passenger side about
an inch or two to give more adjustment to the driver's side  However, on my
rack there is a round metal plate attached to the rack near the passenger
side mount that won't allow me to move the rack past the mounting plate that
attaches to the frame.  I have a shot of this in a photo at the following
link:

http://s996.photobucket.com/user/trguy75/media/steeringrack_zps028bdcb5.jpg.
html

What is curious is that my 62 parts car doesn't have this plate attached to
the steering rack.  I am assuming the rack on my project car is from my 62
car as it is date stamped 62 on the aluminum housing near the pinion shaft.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.  The fun of rebuilding a car without a mechanic nearby.
The good news is I am learning a lot!

Jim Henningsen

Ocala, FL (soon to be under a hard freeze tonight)

62 TR4 CT5212LO

75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive