Subject: [TR] Rear Leaf Spring Adjustment

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 12:54:36 -0500

Got the other inner sleeve that was frozen on the mounting stud off today.
Turns out that one came off with just a little heat. Lucky me!  Good news is
that both new leaf springs and bushings are installed!  Didn't need to take
off the mounting studs to get the leafs on with body on car.  I have to say
it was pretty easy to work on with the rear axle out of the car.  

Speaking of the rear axle.  I am planning on having the outer bearings and
seals replaced as well as the front seal.  Everything is leaking of course.
Anything specific I should have checked while it is out of the car?  Don't
want to take the whole thing apart if it doesn't need it.  Thanks again for
everyone's help!

Jim Henningsen

Ocala, FL

62 TR4 x2

75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:01:25 -0800

> seals replaced as well as the front seal.  Everything is 

Don't forget the inner wheel bearing seals as well.  If you are getting oil in the brakes, the inner seals are actually what is
leaking.  In fact, you might consider just changing them and the pinion seal; and leave the outer seals (& bearings) alone.  They
won't leak unless you overgrease the bearing (and even new seals won't stand up to too much grease).

Be sure to get someone that knows how to remove the hubs.  The average machine shop will assure you that they can get them apart,
but then not pay for new ones (when they ruin your old ones).
http://tinyurl.com/l5f6c4l

> Anything specific I should have checked while it is out of 
> the car?  

I'd check the backlash in the gears before disassembly.  Too much may indicate the need for new thrust washers.  It's extra hassle,
but only a little as long as the bearings are OK.

And of course the axle end float, even if you don't change the bearings.

Randall

---

From: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 14:13:57 -0500

Thanks for the info! Jim

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 5, 2014, at 2:01 PM, "Randall" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Don't forget the inner wheel bearing seals as well.  If you are getting oil
in the brakes, the inner seals are actually what is
> leaking.  In fact, you might consider just changing them and the pinion
seal; and leave the outer seals (& bearings) alone.  They
> Be sure to get someone that knows how to remove the hubs.  The average
machine shop will assure you that they can get them apart,
> I'd check the backlash in the gears before disassembly.  Too much may
indicate the need for new thrust washers.  It's extra hassle,