Subject: Re: [TR] Are there any new hi-tech cheap gadgets I can buy to get my fuel mixture right ?

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 14:04:13 -0700

Not new or high-tech but a Gunson Colortune worked for me to get the  
mixture right.

It also enabled me to see that a fuel pressure surge was causing a  
miss (the flame went yellow instead of the preferred blue) when excess  
fuel got pushed past the float needles every so often. The yellow  
flame coincided with the temporary fuel pressure gage I placed in the  
fuel line jumping in pressure to 3-5 psi. I put a fuel pressure  
regulator in the fuel line which solved that issue. My TR6 is picky  
about not having more than about 2 psi of fuel pressure.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine and dinghy car for RV)
70 Spitfire MK III (parts car, FE engine donated to race car)
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jan 3, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Sujit Roy wrote:

> This is for a Stag with the original twin ZS set up
>
> Sujit
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:49:00 -0700

Wellsir, you're getting an array of advice.

Perhaps a better starting point is the problem you're trying to solve, i.e.
black exhaust, poor mpg, fouled plugs, poor performance, rough idle, etc.

I do not know which ZS carbs you have -- the early ones had a simple nut
adjustment like the old SUs, I think the later ones had a different adjust
(from the top) and then came ones with no means of adjustment provided.
Which you have will also suggest solutions.

The manuals guide you through setting mixture at idle and some tools allow
it to be set at high RPM (I use Colortune) and in the end driving and
reading plugs will tell you much.  It all seems a bit inexact with carbs
but certainly one can get a satisfactory result on an otherwise correct
set-up.

Geo

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Sujit Roy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:11:20 -0600

Has any one used a Gunson Gastester exhaust gas analyzer tester? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunson-Gastester-exhaust-gas-analyzer-tester-/280681199112

A friend of mine has an old old unit (different brand) that he says 
helped him a lot.  He had thought he had it tuned, but when hooked the 
gas tester up, he found he was rich throughout the whole range. He 
leaned it out and it ran better and he got better gas mileage.

Roger Elliott
On 01/03/2014 04:49 PM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 19:06:20 -0700

I have an older version that works fairly well. I used it to pass  
emissions testing and it was accurate enough for that. I did have to  
watch moisture buildup on the little plastic part that the flow passes  
by as it would start to give erroneous readings if you didn't wipe it  
off regularly. Maybe the newer versions don't have this problem.

Bud Rolofson

On Jan 3, 2014, at 6:11 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:

> Has any one used a Gunson Gastester exhaust gas analyzer tester? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunson-Gastester-exhaust-gas-analyzer-tester-/280681199112
>
> helped him a lot.  He had thought he had it tuned, but when hooked  
> the gas tester up, he found he was rich throughout the whole range.  
> He leaned it out and it ran better and he got better gas mileage.
>
> Roger Elliott