Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A rear spring "fulcrum" bolt

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:55:15 -0700

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Worth noting, perhaps, that the head of the pin is tapped for a puller.  I
>> used a bottoming tap to clean out the tapped hole, then some hardened
>> threaded rod, nuts & 'setup' washers from MMC plus sockets and a bit of
>> pipe
>> to form a makeshift puller.
>>
>> Worked for me, on two different cars now.  I also soaked the area in PB
>> Blaster for several weeks, and beat on things from time to time to help
>> the
>> PBB penetrate.
>>
>
> I'm (sometimes) a 'plan-ahead' guy -- I  cleaned that head out with a tap
> and have been soaking the area with PBlaster every time I'm under there for
> the past year or so.  Will continue until such time as I need to remove
> it...
>

Just as a follow-up -- as noted in my September 2012 message, I have been
soaking the front pin on the rear spring in PBlaster for about three years
now.  The day finally came (today) when I had to remove that spring and,
using the method described by Randall, the pin slid out like a cork from a
wine bottle.

If you can avoid having to fight that pin the job is simple enough (but
pretty dirty).  This is the second time I have used PBlaster over the
course of a few years to attack a problem fitting (the other was the
capillary tube connection on the tstat housing).

So if your springs have been in place for a few decades you might want to
plan ahead and start soaking.  A good time to do this is when you oil the
springs (if you oil the springs).

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive