Subject: Re: [TR] JonMac

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:02:00 -0500

Bill,

This is a constant problem when anyone uses "webmail".

Since all your email information is located on the web server, all one 
has to do to get all your information is to crack your password. Now 
they have all your contacts, trash, etc. at their disposal.

Try to avoid "servers" that store your information. This includes clouds 
and those services that back up your files.

If you want to back up your important files, go and get a USB terabyte 
disc. Install some auto backup SW and you are safe not only from 
scammers but the G O V T.

Also use a POP/SMPT based email such as Thunderbird. Works on Windows as 
well as Linux.

And best of all, complicated passwords are a must.

Bob

On 01/08/2014 08:37 AM, William Brewer wrote:
>       Looks like a scammer is out using JonMac's name/email to try to scam
> money:

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 08:44:01 -0600

I'm going to disagree with part of bob's message, and focus on his last 
comment, which I think is the most important.

webmail is efficient, effective, and convenient.  it also prevents the 
complete and total loss of one's email with a system crash, which can happen 
with mac, linux, or pc.  backups are smart, but most people do not do them.

the real issue is password strength.  please ensure that your password is a 
minimum of 8 characters, although 10 is better.

best to start with a number or two.  best to have at least one capital 
letter; two is better.  best to have a special character (like #$%^& etc).

do not use:  12345678  or qwerty or password or p455w0rd.

get the idea?

folks - please be smart about your passwords.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Labuz
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:02 AM
To: William Brewer ; Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] JonMac

Bill,

Bob

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:04:54 -0600

I would take this one step further, and suggest that you only use web based
service if it offers Two Factor Authentication.  Two factor just means that
to get access to the server you need two things.  In this case something
you know (your password) and something you have (usually a mobile phone).
The first time you want to access the server from a particular computer,
you have to have both your password and a special code generated by an
application on your mobile phone.  After that you can choose if you want to
"trust" that particular computer or not.  If you trust the computer, all
you need to log into the server after that is the password.  If you don't
trust the computer (like if you were using a public computer) you would
still need to use the app on the phone to log into the server.

The benefit of this system is that even if someone steals (or cracks) your
password, they still can't get access to your information.  Same goes if
they steal the phone.  They would have to have both the password, and the
phone to get access to your data.  Google offers this, not sure who else
does, but it should be considered a highly recommended for any service that
stores your information online.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

> complete and total loss of one's email with a system crash, which can
> happen with mac, linux, or pc.  backups are smart, but most people do not
> do them.
>
> the real issue is password strength.  please ensure that your password is
> a minimum of 8 characters, although 10 is better.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Bob Labuz
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================