Subject: [TR] Rear Leaf Springs

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 12:14:06 -0500

Installing new Moss leaf springs on my 62 TR4 today and having a bit of a
problem.  I can't seem to get the front mount of the spring onto the round
housing on the frame.  The leaf spring bushing is rubber with a metal
cylinder sleeve that would slide over the frame shaft.  It looks to me as if
the inner metal cylinder sleeve on the new spring bushing is the same size
as the housing on the frame.  I inspected my old springs that I removed and
they did not have an inner metal cylinder sleeve on the bushing, just a big
rubber bushing.    Is the metal cylinder sleeve supposed to be removed
before installing.  Seems like it would be better if the sleeve was there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Jim Henningsen

Ocala FL

62 TR4 x2

75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:42:32 -0600 s=q20121106; t=1388864556; bh=I18FFON5cPrd5EKoAmK77V6suzX9QMUkyB7r33XX3rg=; h=Received:Received:From:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=ICc3Wo3+neppkolkZ/ggXwyFYR5HKFg4ABPYVRWFN9AgawSNGovrtHfQHXJnLtmPH /ef3GViaaIo7i84jXJvQ9AQHoGqgFwdmfi51lpZbz59RIZXw8YMLJgaaWpP3x/bqM7 HBTDklyzK63pkgbYLFk3efeVsy/VMVzEARrOS6yAFsdQgwKllbqb4M8fY50tCFZuFh scisWC3e1TB24MLEBGH86Iwp31C7CT454Uc+k9kDP+QtjC0rofbjYlRPKCtDapTorq v8XubpcjouuF0ph/RYS/o0FsKuZROdc9EfQuDW24F/oscNsNLeDJF5vnvWoo3T95xV dVLixnWid9HEA==

Agreed.  I usually resort to dremel to split the old sleeve.  Those babies are hard!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Dean Tetterton" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Rear Leaf Springs
Date: Sat, Jan 4, 2014 11:28 am

I would say that the bushing inner sleeve from the old spring is frozen
onto the shaft. The shaft is suppose to come out of the frame to the inside.
It is threaded for a bolt to pull it out with. This is so you can change the
spring with the body on the frame. They almost always are frozen in the
frame and a real fight to get them out.

See part number 106231 in the parts book.

Dean

On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:14 PM, James Henningsen wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 17:10:32 -0500

You all are the best!  The sleeve was stuck on there real good.  A Dremel
tool, diamond cutting wheel, wd40 and 60 minutes of patience cutting and
changing out cutting disks worked.  No damage to the shaft or threads thank
goodness.  The Dremel takes longer but less risk of cutting into and damaging
the shaft.   I think I'll do the other one tomorrow.  Thank you all so much
for your advice!  I think there should be a medal for getting those little
guys off.
Cheers,
Jim Henningsen

Sent from my iPad

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]