Subject: [TR] Are there any new hi-tech cheap gadgets I can buy to get my fuel mixture right ?

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 09:50:18 -0800

This is for a Stag with the original twin ZS set up

Sujit

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 10:27:02 -0800

> Subject: [TR] Are there any new hi-tech cheap gadgets I can 
> buy to get my fuel mixture right ?
> 

Depends on how "cheap" you want.  The wide-band O2 sensor/gauges are down to where I think one would be a good investment.  (Bought
one myself but haven't tried it yet.)  A "lap top dyno" looks like a good tool as well; though it doesn't tell you anything about
mixture directly, it can give you a sensitive indication as to whether your last change made more power or less.

For the ultimate in cheap, though, use your eyes, ears and nose.  If the mixture is off very far, the engine will tell you it's
unhappy.  Try a little richer, then a little leaner.  Keep going in the "happy" direction until it quits making any difference.

Without the "cheap" qualifier, I think one of the Holley adapters plus an electronic TBI system would be the way to go.  Or, if you
want to keep a more original appearance, I believe TWM Induction still sells their throttle bodies that bolt on in place of the ZS
carbs (letting you keep the original "dogs hind leg" intake system).  That, combined with the wide-band O2, would let you nail the
mixture under any condition and even optimize for cruise economy vs full power.  I hope to try that setup myself someday, just to
see how much difference it makes.

Randall