Subject: Re: [TR] JonMac

From: "Mark Hooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:54:54 -0500

Hi Bill:

This one is a first generic broad distribution note looking for nibbles.

Having accessed someone's e-mail account, these criminals often read through 
the content and can thus maintain a short written conversation with casual 
friends and pass simple "is it really you" tests. The first tell is that 
they will not let you call them on the phone. The second is that once you've 
agreed to send them anything, they want only Western Union, which lets them 
pick up the funds anywhere in the world. 

In a moment of unbelievable dimness due to other pressing issues, I let 
myself be ripped off by one of these schemes a few years back. I sent money 
to the UK, but it ended up withdrawn in Belgium and, wait for it, Africa... 

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:38:17 -0500
Subject: [TR] JonMac

     Looks like a scammer is out using JonMac's name/email to try to scam
money:

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
To:
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:56 AM
Subject: Sad News....John Macartney
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to
Kyiv,Ukraine for a short vacation.unfortunately,we were mugged at the park 
of
the hotel where we stayed,all cash and credit card were stolen off us but
luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy
and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight
leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel
bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. 
Well
I really need your financial assistance..Please, let me know if you can help
us out?

   Am freaked out at the moment!!

         John

     Doesn't even
sound like him. Are you aware of this JonMac?

     Bill Brewer
   
 Tehachapi, CA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive