Subject: Re: [TR] Dash Painting/P.Coating

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:55:18 -0500

Bill,

The original cubby box door base is aluminium not wood. The previous 
owner must have lost the original. I am not sure if any of the suppliers 
can get you a replacement. Should be not too hard to make a new one. The 
vinyl covered wood may be original but is supposed to attach to the 
aluminium base with very small counter-sunk wood screws. Just long 
enough to secure to the wood but not penetrate.

The problem I see is the aluminium base is attached to the dash with a 
long chrome plated hinge which is riveted to the base. Not surer how you 
could duplicate this hinge unless your door is currently hinged with the 
original removed from the aluminium base.

Maybe someone has a spare they could sell you.

No experience with PC so others might chime in. I just rattle canned 
mine with rustoleum.

Bob

On 01/09/2014 11:10 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I know I am not the first to think of trying this so I would again implore
> the List for BTDT wisdom.
>   
> I am thinking of either painting or powder coating the dash on my current
> TR3 project, but curious as to what others have done with the cubby box
> door.  So far, my only solution is making an aluminium panel to replace the
> vinyl covered wood that is currently there.
>   
> All thoughts and pictures appreciated,
>   
> Cheers,
> Bill
>   
> Bill Beecher
> '58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
> '62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
>   <http://www.triumphowners.com/1566> www.triumphowners.com/1566
> '68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:35:04 -0600

Bob,
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I have the complete original door with the aluminium
base and hinge with the very little screws securing the vinyl covered wood
face.  Just want to either replace the face so it can be coated or the
entire unit.
Thanks,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Labuz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:55 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Dash Painting/P.Coating

Bill,

The original cubby box door base is aluminium not wood. The previous owner
must have lost the original. I am not sure if any of the suppliers can get
you a replacement. Should be not too hard to make a new one. The vinyl
covered wood may be original but is supposed to attach to the aluminium base
with very small counter-sunk wood screws. Just long enough to secure to the
wood but not penetrate.

The problem I see is the aluminium base is attached to the dash with a long
chrome plated hinge which is riveted to the base. Not surer how you could
duplicate this hinge unless your door is currently hinged with the original
removed from the aluminium base.

No experience with PC so others might chime in. I just rattle canned mine
with rustoleum.

Bob

On 01/09/2014 11:10 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I know I am not the first to think of trying this so I would again 
> implore the List for BTDT wisdom.
>   
> TR3 project, but curious as to what others have done with the cubby 
> box door.  So far, my only solution is making an aluminium panel to 
> replace the vinyl covered wood that is currently there.
>

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:01:11 -0700

Bill --

I don't think you're being understood.

You want to replace the vinyl-cover wood panel with something that can be
power-coated -- right?

Total replacement would need something pretty thick to look right but a
'sandwich' of the original aluminum backing, a thin layer of wood or
Masonite, then a front layer of sheet metal (possibly aluminum again) would
give you a part that could be powder coated.

I don't recollect ever seeing this done, possibly that is why it is hard to
catch your drift.

Geo

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:29:30 -0600

Yes, that is what I an planning.  I am going to look at a fiberglass option
too.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:01 PM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:

Bill --

Total replacement would need something pretty thick to look right but a
'sandwich' of the original aluminum backing, a thin layer of wood or Masonite,
then a front layer of sheet metal (possibly aluminum again) would give you a
part that could be powder coated.

Geo

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 12:04:29 -0500 (EST)

But that aluminium backing plate is attached to a thin piece of wood to which
is attached the vinyl/leather covering.

But a solid aluminum door would be COOL.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
To: wbeech <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Jan 9, 2014 11:00 am
Subject: Re: [TR] Dash Painting/P.Coating

Bill,

Bob

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:35:45 -0500

> A carbon fiber sheet might make a neat cover for the glove box door as
> well.... Kinda pricey but looks soooo good.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:36:22 -0600

Yes, it does look good.  We have a local shop that specializes in some sort
of film that they apply and then seal heavily that provide a wide variety of
designs, I thought of doing small union jacks.  He has done a dash with the
carbon fibre look and it does look very real. 

Thanks to all for the great suggestions, I am sure everyone got some good
ideas for the future.  At this point I am going to go with an aluminium
replacement for the wood cover and have the whole thing powder coated to
match the body color.

Transport is coming this morning to take Tarbaby to a land far away, sad and
sweet all at the same time.  I am trying to Keep Calm, but I will Carry On!

All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On"

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chris Simo
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:36 PM
To: list Triumph
Subject: Re: [TR] Dash Painting/P.Coating

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]