Subject: [TR] Off-topic, but car-related

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 13:17:00 -0500

I've got a friend who spends half his time in Europe and the rest in Montreal.
His car sits in the driveway while he is away. The last time he returned after
4 months away, all the brake rotors on the car had rusted to the pads and he
had to get a mechanic to engage in vigorous hammering of components to free up
the brakes.

Is there some substance out there for spraying on brake discs during storage?
Something that burns off quickly without imperilling life and limb, as using
wax or oil would likely do.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 13:53:50 -0500

Four wheel disks?  Did he have a parking brake engaged? It seems unlikely
that pads would rust to disks -- there isn't enough ferrous content in the
friction surface for that, is there?  Were the pads worn down to
metal?   Was it perhaps piston rust due to water in the brake fluid causing
them not to retract in the calipers?

I'd leave the parking brake off were I to leave a car undriven for many
months.  A change in fluid might be a good idea, too...

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:49:24 -0500 (EST)

The best bet is to toss you the keys when he leaves and let you drive it 
once a week or so.

Dave