Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 lifters

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 13:43:26 -0500

No way that I am aware of.  I just pulled the head on my 250 to get lifters
out.

The shop which built my TR250 (under 1000 miles ago) didn't bend the tabs
over the two bolts which hold the cam sprocket in place:  one came loose and
then the other sheared off, causing the sprocket to come off, taking with it
the nub at the end of the cam.  So a new cam is in order.  A silly little
thing like a tab ends up costing a lot of money and time........

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Arakelian
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:55 AM
To: Listers
Subject: [TR] TR6 lifters

Can TR6 lifters be pulled out without removing the head?

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 14:36:11 -0500 (EST)

No.

Sorry.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Arakelian <[email-masked]>

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 16:05:28 -0600

If the bolts were properly tightened, and especially if loctite was 
used, they wouldn't have come loose even if the tabs weren't bent 
over.  I suspect they got them semi-tight and then forgot to properly 
torque and secure them.

Tony

At 12:43 PM 1/5/2014, Andrew Uprichard wrote:
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 17:29:53 -0500

I guess we will never know - but I was ticked to see the flat tabs.

So, grade 5 or grade 8 bolts when I put the NEW sprocket on the NEW cam to
go with the NEW tabs, NEW timing chain and NEW lifters ?

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Drews [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:05 PM
To: Andrew Uprichard; 'Listers'
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 lifters

If the bolts were properly tightened, and especially if loctite was used,
they wouldn't have come loose even if the tabs weren't bent over.  I suspect
they got them semi-tight and then forgot to properly torque and secure them.

Tony

At 12:43 PM 1/5/2014, Andrew Uprichard wrote:
>No way that I am aware of.  I just pulled the head on my 250 to get 
>lifters out.
>
>The shop which built my TR250 (under 1000 miles ago) didn't bend the 
>tabs over the two bolts which hold the cam sprocket in place:  one came 
>loose and then the other sheared off, causing the sprocket to come off, 
>taking with it the nub at the end of the cam.  So a new cam is in 
>order.  A silly little thing like a tab ends up costing a lot of money and
time........

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:40:47 -0500

> go with the NEW tabs, NEW timing chain and NEW lifters ?

I'd go with Grade 5.  You don't want something that's too hard to shear 
off, or you might have worse problems next time.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com