Subject: [TR] Lucas 25d distributor

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:07:07 -0600

Hi,

I have a

I am replacing the points, condenser and the low tension lead (inside 
the distributor) on a Lucas 25D. The old lead was in pieces.

The original LT lead was clamped to the points plate - I suspect it made 
contact with the plate- then was screwed down to the distributor housing 
using the screw that holds points plate down.

The new lead does not look like it would make contact with the plate.

I have seen pictures of that show the lead going to the same post that 
the condenser lead goes to - under the plastic spacer.

Is that the correct way?  Did something change?  Am I missing a wire 
that should go to the distributor body?

Roger Elliott

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 10:42:12 -0800

> The original LT lead was clamped to the points plate 

That was the ground lead for the point plate, not the low tension lead.  You need two wires, the LT lead goes from the insulated
terminal on the side to the spring for the points (on the post but insulated from the post by a "top hat").  The ground lead was
originally (I believe) riveted to the moving point plate, then over to one of the screws that holds the fixed base plate to the
body.

Both wires are a special material, that flexes easily (so to not interfere with the action of the vacuum advance), and hopefully
lasts a long time with constant flexing.  Ordinary stranded wire will work, but not for very long.

ISTR that there are two styles of LT lead; but maybe I'm thinking of the difference between DM2 and 25D4.

Randall