Subject: [TR] oil pressure

From: "Peter Arakelian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 05:01:49 -0800

Thanks for all the responses, so far...it has 20W-50 Castrol in it.  The crank
was turned, plastigauged, I believe they told be .002.  Rods reblt, mains
align bored.  Common thing mentioned by respondents that was not done, as far
as I know, is the cam journals.  We did not check clearance on new pump, not
sure if they were checked before installation.  Will contact them again and
see where we go from here.
Thanks so far, if you have more, keep it coming.
 Peter

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Q <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:01:02 -0800 (PST)

Before I made the effort to drop the oil pan I would replace the check valve
and spring even though you replaced them once already.  I would pay particular
attention to the ball seat in the filter head to be sure that there is not a
burr or some swarf in there holding the valve open a bit.  I have heard some
stories of defective springs that were not properly heat treated, the warm
engine effected the spring tension.  You might want to use another gauge as
well just to be sure you are getting the same readings.
 
Of course if it was
my car it would never be something that simple.  I'd have porous crankshaft
that only leaked at high rpm when the moon was full which was impossible to
replicate out of the car or some other exotic malady.
 
Edward Hamer
Petaluma
CA