Subject: Re: [TR] TR A type OD sealing

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:19:38 -0600

I put either Hylomar or my normal permatex form a gasket on that area thinly.

For the adapter plate, make absolutely sure you don't have the safety 
wire holding anything apart upon assembly.  The routing of that is picky.

Tony

At 01:19 PM 1/10/2014, Allen Hess wrote:
>While I have the engine out for a rebuild, I am going to install a new
>OD adapter plate to hopefully fix an oil leak at that spot. I was also
>going to split the OD case and seal the case and brake ring until I
>read the Bentley manual which said no sealant on the brake ring. But I
>wonder if there is a "catch" in the instructions. The note about no
>sealant precedes the instructions for determining sun wheel end float
>and that makes sense because you don't want to include the sealant
>thickness in the measurements. After determining the end float and
>installing the correct thickness thrust washer, the instructions go on
>with the further assembly of the front and rear case with no further
>mention of sealant or no sealant.
>
>That said, I don't remember if there was much or any leakage from the
>brake ring as the adapter plate leak sufficiently oiled the underside.
>The Larry Young-Sam Clark "manual" says to use Hylomar and that is
>probably what I did several years ago when I built it. Any thoughts?
>
>Allen
>
>** [email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dean Tetterton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 06:32:47 -0500

This is what works for me. I do this for all joints, transmission, oil pans,
front covers,
engine plates. Everything but head gaskets and valve covers. Clean both
surfaces with
 a scotch brite, then wipe with brake clean. there must be no oil on the
surfaces.
I spread a thin layer of "The Right Stuff" by Permatex. I spread it with a
razor blade
 and coat from edge to edge on both sides. The gasket in the middle. You want
to
 have a very thin line of squeeze out. Don't run a 1/8 bead and have big globs
of
sealant hanging out. It will also hang out on the inside. Torque to specs and
give
 it time to set up.

When ever there is room under the bolt heads, use SAE grade 8 flat washers
to spread the load out further. SAE grade 8 washers are thicker and have
 a closer fit to the bolt.

Dean

On Jan 10, 2014, at 11:19 PM, Tony Drews wrote:

> For the adapter plate, make absolutely sure you don't have the safety wire
holding anything apart upon assembly.  The routing of that is picky.
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]