Subject: [TR] Fwd: Evans Waterless Coolant

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:37:47 -0500 (EST)

Evans waterless coolant is getting a lot of press recently.

I'm reluctant to use it because it doesn't mix with water, I drive long
distances from home, and probably won't find Evans on the shelf in East Podunk
when I develop a leak. I carry enough spares and tools now and don't want to
carry another gallon of liquid.

What is the Collective List Opinion of this stuff?
George

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:32:59 -0600

sooner or later your coolant will end up on the ground.

-----Original Message----- 
From: George Haynes
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Fwd: Evans Waterless Coolant

I'm reluctant to use it because it doesn't mix with water, I drive long
distances from home, and probably won't find Evans on the shelf in East 
Podunk
when I develop a leak. I carry enough spares and tools now and don't want to
carry another gallon of liquid.

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:32:59 -0500

Traditional antifreeze and water have been around a long time, I don't see a 
need to change from something that is easy to obtain just about anywhere.
JVV

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:16:09 -0500

I saw this used on an episode of Wheeler Dealers when they were redoing a
TR6.  I like the idea of never having to change coolant and plan to use on
my TR4 project. The engine is fresh from a rebuild and hasn't had water put
in, so I don't have to do the prep to eliminate the water.  Count me in and
I usually keep a gallon of antifreeze in the trunk when traveling anyways. 
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
62 TR4 x2
75 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of George Haynes
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Fwd: Evans Waterless Coolant

I'm reluctant to use it because it doesn't mix with water, I drive long
distances from home, and probably won't find Evans on the shelf in East
Podunk when I develop a leak. I carry enough spares and tools now and don't
want to carry another gallon of liquid.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:29:40 -0500

The question of waterless coolants comes up from time to time.  Here's a
recent thread:
http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/triumphs/2012-09/msg00202.html

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM, George Haynes <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:14:00 -0700

All good reasons -- plus It is my understanding is that the stuff is
flammable.

Yeah, gasoline is also flammable but it is in a system designed to handle
flammable liquid.

Geo

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Jerry Van Vlack <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Traditional antifreeze and water have been around a long time, I don't see
> a need to change from something that is easy to obtain just about anywhere.
> JVV
>
>
> -----Original Message----- From: George Haynes
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:15:01 -0600

Sorry to bomb the list, but thought this topic might be of interest to more 
than just me.

In addition to an old Triumph, my family has several newer cars that are new 
enough to have OBDII diagnostic ports on them, but old enough for me to need 
to work on them from time to time, and I am the family mechanic.

Some of you may be in the same boat, I am thinking of buying my own code 
reader, I know you can get it done at your local parts store for free, but 
often would be more convenient to be able to do this at home.

I notice that you can buy them new anywhere from under $20 on ebay and 
Amazon, to middle of the range looking stuff for maybe $60 to $100+, to 
professional type stuff for $250 or more.

I am tempted to pick up a cheap one, but if the only one's worth having are 
several hundred bucks I will just keep running to Advance Auto to have it 
done.

Anybody had any experience, particularly at the low end?

Thanks, Greg Lemon

---

From: Doug Mathews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 06:11:00 -0500

Some vehicles yoy can pull the codes without a reader. My wife's old 95 
Maxima(OBDII)  (now mine..gee) you can pull the codes from the computer 
by turning a screw and it flashes the mil light as a read out. You can 
reset them the same way.  In fact, you can program key fobs, etc by 
pressing certain cabin switches in sequence, etc.

Doug

Google your cars and see if they have that capability.
On 1/16/2014 9:15 PM, Greg Lemon wrote:
> Sorry to bomb the list, but thought this topic might be of interest to 
> more than just me.
>
> In addition to an old Triumph, my family has several newer cars that 
> are new enough to have OBDII diagnostic ports on them, but old enough 
> for me to need to work on them from time to time, and I am the family 
> mechanic.
>
> Some of you may be in the same boat, I am thinking of buying my own 
> code reader, I know you can get it done at your local parts store for 
> free, but often would be more convenient to be able to do this at home.
>
> Amazon, to middle of the range looking stuff for maybe $60 to $100+, 
> to professional type stuff for $250 or more.
>
> I am tempted to pick up a cheap one, but if the only one's worth 
> having are several hundred bucks I will just keep running to Advance 
> Auto to have it done.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

-- 

p.s. I do not use a smart phone so if you email me and do not get a quick response it is not because I am ignoring you. Just not at a computer.

---

From: "ptegler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 06:16:23 -0500

the $$ figure is getting closer to the completeness of the codes readable 
across what model of vehicles.
The $60 range units work just fine on almost all cars....just ask to look at 
the booklets inside to validate the cars you work on are listed.
ODBII (post 1996) is standardized....but some cars have their own codes 
added.

Paul Tegler
[email-masked]
www.teglerizer.com
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
To: "Triumphs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:15 PM
Subject: [TR] Off Topic Code Reader

> In addition to an old Triumph, my family has several newer cars that are 
> new enough to have OBDII diagnostic ports on them, but old enough for me 
> to need to work on them from time to time, and I am the family mechanic.
>
> I am tempted to pick up a cheap one, but if the only one's worth having 
> are several hundred bucks I will just keep running to Advance Auto to have 
> it done.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:45:36 -0600

I bought a cable and an I use a software package on my laptop.
http://www.obd-2.com/  It is not as polished as some of the newer
commercial products, but it works quite well for me.  In addition to just
reading codes, it allows you to monitor various parameters on the data bus,
like O2 Sensor voltage, or MAP, Throttle Position, etc.

I have found these to be invaluable in narrowing down issues on our newer
cars.  For example if you get a OBD code P0300, you don't get much help
from the service manual.  But once you know you have a misfire, you can
start looking at why you might have that.  (Air, Fuel, Spark)  In my case
it became obvious that the problem was a failed intake air temp sensor
because the software showed it was reading -40 on a warm summer day.

One issue with this software package, it will only work on Windows XP and
earlier.  There is a workaround that allows you to run it on Windows 7, but
it is a bit of a hassle.  I have received excellent support from this
outfit.  I recently had a question about a cable I bought from them more
than 10 years ago and they responded to my email within a few hours.

There are many similar products on the market, but this is the only one I
have used extensively.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> new enough to have OBDII diagnostic ports on them, but old enough for me to
> need to work on them from time to time, and I am the family mechanic.
>
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:43:11 -0600

Pretty much all of the GM cars and trucks from 1982(ish) to 1995 (non OBD2)
had a similar feature.  On the GM's you can connect pins A & B on the
diagnostic connector and the car will flash trouble codes on the Service
Engine Soon light.  The biggest downfall of this approach is that you only
get the code, not the sensor data.  I recently had to troubleshoot a no
fuel condition on my 88 Chevy pickup and was wishing I had the OBD2 data on
that truck.  The problem was caused by a bad reluctor pickup in the
distributor.  With the data from OBD2 I could have seen that the computer
was reading 0 RPM when cranking and narrowed the problem down to the tach
signal pretty quick.  Without it I had to go through all the electrical
back tracking form the injectors and then start checking sensors until I
found the problem.

As a side note to anyone who has such a GM product, there are also a few
things that you need to use this diagnostic mode for.  In my case I had to
replace the distributor and reset the base timing.  This can be done by
running the engine in diagnostic mode.  I used to have a really nice little
tool that I could plug into the connector to put the truck into diagnostic
mode, but I lost it at some point.  A paper clip works too, but to make
getting into this mode easier whenever I want, I just spliced in a switch
that I can flip whenever I need it.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM, Doug Mathews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> p.s. I do not use a smart phone so if you email me and do not get a quick
> response it is not because I am ignoring you. Just not at a computer.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:48:30 -0600

Paul has a good point.   The OBD2 standard only requires that the vehicle
provide emissions related diagnostic information.  Some cars have
additional info and capabilities on this connector that the manufacturer
has tried to keep private.  The ABS and SRS diagnostics on the the 1996 -
1999 GM cars.  These have since been reverse engineered and are now
available on some products, but not all.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:16 AM, ptegler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The $60 range units work just fine on almost all cars....just ask to look
> at the booklets inside to validate the cars you work on are listed.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
>> options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>>
>

---

From: Doug Mathews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:02:18 -0500

Good point.
On 1/17/2014 9:43 AM, John Innis wrote:
> The biggest downfall of this approach is that you only get the code, 
> not the sensor data. 

--

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:52:44 -0600

I've got a relatively inexpensive one I bought several years 
ago.  Works fine for what it does - tell me what codes have been 
registered or are pending and allow code reset.

The more expensive models will do things like give you real-time 
readings (oil pressure, RPM, etc) and tell you what the code actually 
MEANS.  I use Google for the code decryption instead.

So, the cheap ones are fine.  I did see a you tube video for an under 
$50 device you plug into the ODB2 port and it pairs with your android 
device, and you get the data display of a more expensive unit - they 
had several gauges running on the cell phone in the video.

Tony Drews

At 08:15 PM 1/16/2014, Greg Lemon wrote:
>Sorry to bomb the list, but thought this topic might be of interest 
>to more than just me.
>
>are new enough to have OBDII diagnostic ports on them, but old 
>enough for me to need to work on them from time to time, and I am 
>the family mechanic.
>
>code reader, I know you can get it done at your local parts store 
>for free, but often would be more convenient to be able to do this at home.
>
>I notice that you can buy them new anywhere from under $20 on ebay 
>and Amazon, to middle of the range looking stuff for maybe $60 to 
>$100+, to professional type stuff for $250 or more.
>
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]