Subject: [TR] Surrey Top Question for TR4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:51:28 -0500 (EST)

List,
If one was to purchase a Surrey Toped 63 TR4 back in the day would it have  
came with the holes drilled in the doors and buttons attached for a Tonneau 
 cover?  Obviously one could not be installed.  At first I thought sure  
they would be there but now I am uncertain.  What say the wisdom of the  List? 
Thanks,
Darrell

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:47:09 -0500 (EST)

No wisdom here but plenty of speculation.

The rear portion is removable, is it not?  If that is the case then there 
is the option of removing the rear window and using the car as a full 
convertible model including use of a tonneau, I would think.

Cheers, Darrell

Dave

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:22:43 -0500 (EST)

Yes, the rear window and frame are "removable," just as a Herald coupe or
sedan roof is "removable," but that really wasn't Triumph's intent in either
case (i.e., make the car into a convertible). I'll assume that, on an original
TR4/4A hardtop installation, there are no snaps or Lift-the-Dot posts around
the rear tonneau, right?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave1massey <[email-masked]>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 8:50:00 -0500

My thoughts. The hardtop was an option so I wonder if cars were built from the factory and delivered with only the Hardtop? I also doubt that the holes for the snaps were selectively drilled or stamped depending upon the build sheets. So my guess is that they all came with the snaps on the doors. But that's only my guess. When I restored my 4A and installed the Hardtop I had the holes welded shut as I'd not be using them any longer and I liked the cleaner look of the doors without the snaps. Again only my preference, my car and what I wanted.
JVV

---- [email-masked] wrote: 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]