Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Part Needed

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 15:45:54 -0600

If per chance you can't repair or find correct horns. You can always clean
up the ones that can be seen under your hood and keep them there even if
they don't sound.  Then hide a pair of functional horns somewhere that can't
be seen.  Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim Henningsen
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR4 Part Needed

List:
My horns from my 62 TR4 are toast. Neither work at all.   I tapped the
casing
lightly with a hammer to see if I could free up the mechanism.  One is now
working slightly, the other is not.  Are these rebuildable?  Does anyone
have a pair of working horns from an early TR4 that they would be willing to
sell.
I am bringing this car back to stock and would really like to find the
correct early horns.  Unfortunately, one of mine was the orig 62 date
stamped horn.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL
62 TR4 CT5212LO
62 TR4 CT6431L. The donor
75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 17:38:32 -0500

Jim,

They are somewhat re-buildable depending on the internals. If the coils 
are toast then so is the horn.

I was able to rebuild a set by drilling out the rivets and cleaning the 
contacts. But you have to really be careful on reassembly that the metal 
disc is not damaged. There is also a gasket that will be toast. You will 
need to replace the gasket as it offers some spacing so the metal disc 
will vibrate and therefore produce the horn sound.

I chose to replace the rivets with 1/4" screws just in case on 
reassembly the horn did not work.

Out of 4 broken horns, I was able to get 2 working and after 5 years 
they still work. For how long who knows?

I do see them on Ebay from time to time but the price tends to be a bit 
high.

Bob

On 12/21/2013 01:43 PM, Jim Henningsen wrote:
> List:
> My horns from my 62 TR4 are toast. Neither work at all.   I tapped the casing
> working slightly, the other is not.  Are these rebuildable?  Does anyone have
> a pair of working horns from an early TR4 that they would be willing to sell.
> I am bringing this car back to stock and would really like to find the correct
> early horns.  Unfortunately, one of mine was the orig 62 date stamped horn.

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 20:24:59 -0500

Good backup plan! Thanks, jim

-----Original Message-----

List: