Subject: Re: [TR] Testing brake lines

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:06:46 -0600

Andrew,

It won't give you actual 'in use' pressure level but a compressor with a
fitting modified to the line inlet set up and pressurized for 24 hours
should give you the best test of your handy work without a having any
high-pressure equipment.  Of course getting a companion to stand on the
brakes for a few minutes whilst you inspect everything is a good
full-pressure test but comes after you have the tub in place. 

My thoughts,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Testing brake lines

For the latest restoration, I have made my own brake lines, but I'd like to
know if they are good before reuniting the body with the frame.  Does anyone
have a suggestion how to pressure test the integrity of the lines without
jerry-rigging a set up with the reservoir, master cylinder and pedal
assembly ?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Skip Gurnee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 08:28:08 -0800

Maybe I'm just stupid, but my way of testing has always been to put the 
system together and press hard on the brake pedal.  If it stayed high and 
didn't leak down, I was satisfied.  I've always used this technique on the 
race car and haven't been killed yet!
Seriously, there are few places on the car that you can't replace when it's 
complete.  Take the chance that you're be right and finish the restoration; 
you're free to test it in the garage before it moves.
BTW - did you double-flare the joints?  Do it.
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4, 66 TR4A
Lotus Cortina, TVR, Cherokee stroker

-----Original Message----- 
From: Andrew Uprichard

Andrew Uprichard