Subject: Re: [TR] Ye olde dashboard

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 23:28:05 -0600

I hate to be a wet blanket, but unless that's Brazilian Mahogany marine
plywood, it won't work as a dashboard - no solid piece of wood will - it will
warp and crack - unless you somehow never expose it to changing weather
(temperature and humidity) conditions.

Get a new clutch slave and have the master re-sleeved in brass and rebuild
it.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 10:15 PM, John Summers <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> My dashboard/instrument panel is old and sucks, to put it nicely.  I don't
> want to spend the fortune that our favorite parts suppliers ask for theirs.
> So, I went out today and bought a nice piece of Brazillian Mahogany, I
think.
> My memory sucks also.  Does anybody have a pattern for a 1974 TR6 dash that
> they would like to share?  I COULD trace it or take a photo of it and play
> with it in Photoshop and take it to Office Depot and have them print a full
> sized copy, but I, as always, am looking for the easier way.  Also, which
> makes better sense:  Putting in a new Clutch master/slave cylinder or
> rebuilding?  For an old man, I sure do ask a lot of questions don't I?  I
hope
> everybody has had a good holiday season thus far and their team has come up
> victorious.
> Go NOLES,,,,1/6/14.  Wish my dad was alive to see them playing in
> the stadium called The Rose Bowl.
> Anyway,,,,,
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:08:48 -0500

Hi John - I tend to agree with Jack on the plywood, but have seen a few
solid dashes hold up ok (but seen more cracked ones)

I just refinished one for our TR6 that we raffled off for charity and it
had a crack in it - but was able to glue it up and it refinished just fine.

 for me - I recently put veneer over the dash from the 73.  it was mostly
in good shape but was delaminated in places so I glued and clamped those
places back together.  Here's a link - There was a really detailed
instuction out there but i can't find it right now.

http://ffr5355.wordpress.com/about/p-dashboard-construction/

I'll see if I can lay my dash on the scanner and send you some images - you
might beable to print them and see how it fits - enlarge or adjust as
needed.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 2013-02-18_19-28-32_684 (1).jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 2013-02-19_20-59-17_158 (2).jpg]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:11:39 -0500

> Sorry  - I just re-read my note - the link is not mine.  Sorry for any
> confusion.
>

P.S.  I'm getting a garage for Christmas!!!   My wife just insisted that we
make it larger!   I must be asleep....

chris

---

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:35:52 -0500

In the for what it is worth category.

A long, long time ago (1968?) and in a place far, far away (Webb Air Force
Patch in W Texas), I decided my 58 MGA would look much better with a wood
dash. (Jet jocks need a snappy looking sports car.) So I went down to the
local lumber yard & bought a appropriate sized piece of wood (too long ago to
remember what kind) and after a lot of hole cutting and fitting/refitting, I
varnished it and put it in that trusty MGA.  I kept the car as my daily driver
for 15 more years in Pittsburgh, St Louis, and then back in Pittsburgh.  All
places with hot, muggy summers and cold, miserable winters.  And when I sold
the car, the dash was as solid and crack free as when I put it in.

John

John Wise
[email-masked]

http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Johns_Resume.html

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:36:55 -0500

Chris,
Regarding the new garage, it might be a trick to get a place to store 
Christmas decorations... Ask me how I know.
LOL,
Dave Connitt

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Chris Simo" <[email-masked]>
To: "list Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] Ye olde dashboard

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]