Subject: Re: [TR] Millimeters

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 21:14:06 -0600

The crankshaft endplay is of course a major issue with these motors, but if 
you are aware of the problem and stay on top of it it becomes a simple 
maintenance issue, and not a source for catastrophic failure.  the 
measurements are .005", .010", .015" over standard for the thrust washers, 
there should presumably be an allowable end play reading in the manual as 
well which you will need to factor in.  Main thing you need to avoid is the 
thrust washer wearing to the point that it falls out, then the crank and 
block chew each other up, very very bad.

Changing the washers can be done with the engine in place, but you have to 
drain the oil and drop the pan, and you might get a few drips of oil on you.

As far as the Maxima, proud owner of a 99 Maxima, 5 speed, 140,000 miles, 
not sure what your issue is, my old RX-7 had a similar issue once and it was 
a "fusible link" basically a fuse, that had burned out when I jump started 
my wife's car.  If you have a 5 speed (unlikely) the cut off switch that 
keeps the thing from starting without the clutch fully engaged can fail and 
keep it from starting.  Assume you are getting the warning lights on when 
you turn the key so you are at least getting juice through the system. 
Modern cars electrical problems are about a 100 times more complex than the 
ones on our old LBCs, where you can run through the components of the system 
and possible problems in your head or on the fingers of one hand.

Greg Lemon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]> >
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 21:56:00 -0600

2.5 mm end play in the crank is a bad, bad thing.  It should be a few 
thousandths of an inch, or a tenth or two of a mm of movement.  If 
you have 2.5 mm of movement you likely have no thrust washers left at 
all and possibly have a ruined block and crankshaft.

Tony Drews

At 08:35 PM 12/30/2013, John Summers wrote:
>Ok all you Triumphista's.  I finally got around to doing the test where you
>check how much wear you have on your thrust bearings, today.  There WAS play
>in the crankshaft.  At one extreme it was 27.7mm
>Pushed back in the
>measurement was 25.2mm.  According to my math,,,the difference is 2,5mm   How
>bad/good is that?  I have fretted over this day for fifteen years.  I recently
>received EVERY SIZE thrust washer sold by Rimmer Bros.  I have a pair called
>"Standard", whatever that is.  The next size says +5, the next reads +10 and
>the last pair reads +15.  Any clues about what those translate into?  I guess
>I pull out my digital caliper and measure, huh?  Opinions are welcomed.
>Also
>tonight my'98 Maxima was acting weird like the battery was going bad.  That is
>commonplace here in hell - Florida.  Took it to NAPA where I bought the
>battery, got it tested and it had a bad cell so I replace it with the next
>higher quality battery.  Turn the ignition - nothing. We played around with
>different batteries for an hour and the starter wouldn't even click.  Bad
>starter?  Bad solenoid ? Bad starter ground? Tomorrow is the 31st and I
>figured nobody would want to spend the time to troubleshoot until Thursday or
>Friday, if that, so I had it tows to my driveway.  Good thing the grocery and
>pharmacy are only a mile away, huh?  Opinions?
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]