Subject: Re: [TR] Synthetic gear oil

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:58:52 -0600

imho there is nothing superior to redline mtl.  itbs more expensive, but you 
will be able to tell the difference

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 8:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Synthetic gear oil

Hello List,

Does anyone use synthetic gear oil in the transmission and/or differential 
of
their TRs?  Any comments on the pros and cons of using synthetic oil?
Thanks. 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 23:56:46 -0600

I change to Red Line MT90(?), instantly could tell the difference in
shifting.  The old TR3 crashbox is still no race winner but much smoother
all around.
Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 8:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Synthetic gear oil

Hello List,

Does anyone use synthetic gear oil in the transmission and/or differential
of their TRs?  Any comments on the pros and cons of using synthetic oil?
Thanks.

John DeLuca
1965 TR4A in restoration

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 14:43:21 -0500 (EST)

Add my vote for the Red Line MT-90. In a worn Herald gearbox, I saw a
significant improvement. It's no magic cure, of course, but that box shifts
much better and generally with much less grinding with the MT-90.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: wbeech <[email-masked]>

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 07:32:50 -0700

On 12/20/13, 7:58 PM, Dave wrote:
> imho there is nothing superior to redline mtl.  itbs more expensive, 
> but you will be able to tell the difference
>
I'm running Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 gear oil in my 1960 Land Rover's 
gearbox. MUCH better shifting when I start out in Freezing weather and 
all the time.  This oil does not harm brass.  I intend to use it in he 
TR3 next oil change.

The limited slip diff in the TR3 and the air locker diff in the Land 
Rover both use Redline 75W90 GL-5 gear oil.

I was told that this oil would help the diffs run cooler.  I've never 
personally never tried to measure the temperatures.  But the stuff seems 
to work just fine.

I'm happy with redline products.  I know my Land Rover's gear box is a 
LOT happier during the winter.

TeriAnn