Subject: [TR] TR4A rear dampers (shock absorbers)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:19:15 -0600

Hello List,

Am going through rear suspension components in preparation for reassembly.
Have Armstrong dampers.  About twice the force is required to move one damper
arm vs. the other.  Seems like the resistance of the two dampers should be
close.  Fluid levels are equal.

So, should the resistance of the dampers be close to the same?  If they
aren't, is there an easy fix?  BTW, is there an off-the-shelf oil that can be
used, or is TR shock absorber fluid required.  Thanks.

John DeLuca
TR4A in Restoration

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 02:04:03 +0000 (UTC)

Dave, 
You nailed it with the World Wide Auto Parts connection. 
Anyone interested in renewing and or rebuilding or upgrading their lever arm shocks should contact Peter Caldwell at World Wide, also known as Nosimport.com. 
Peter will provide you with the best bang for your buck. I have no financial interest to this topic, only completely satisfied results from doing business with Peter. 
You could drain, partially disassemble, clean and refill your shocks with 30wt. motorcycle fork oil, but they will never work like a fresh rebuild set from Nosimport. Their prices are very reasonable. 

Dave H. 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 5:11:45 PM 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A rear dampers (shock absorbers) 

http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/ShockRec.jpg 

I highly recommend these people. itbs a heavy duty valve according to them. 
I went with the heavy duty as you can see on the receipt. one of mine was 
leaking, and of course I could tell a significant difference right away. 

what I think is funny is that if I had gone with a tube shock conversion, I 
would be extolling its virtues and saying how much better it is. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: James Henningsen 
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 6:18 PM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A rear dampers (shock absorbers) 

I noticed that some shops rebuild the dampers for heavy duty. Is there a 
special weight of oil to upgrade the dampers or is there a rebuild and valve 
switch out required. I too need to rebuild my dampers and want to upgrade 
their performance as I have Moss competition leaf springs and ARE bronze 
bushings ready to install. 
Thanks, 
Jim Henningsen 
62 TR4 x2 
75 TR6 
Ocala, FL