Subject: Re: [TR] Wire Wheels

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:11:32 -0500

Jim,

I have painted Daytons on my 63 4. So far they have worked out very 
well. The car had the original Dunlop wheels but they were in terrible 
shape. All the loose spokes I tried to repair were frozen. So when a set 
came up on Ebay, I jumped. Fitted 165/15 Cooper black walls. But alas, 
the Coopers are NLA.

I used the Harbor freight setup to mount the tires. Also fitted tubes 
sourced from Moss.

I believe I just finished my 8th season and so far no loss of air.

I also have heard on this list that the painted steel spokes are 
stronger than the SS version. Not sure about the chrome version. Most 
likely same as the painted.

It is my opinion that wire wheels look best on a 4 of all the Triumphs.

I have the stock wheels on my 58 3 and Super Lite silvers on my 72 6. 
Quite a nice contrast when they are all together.

Bob

On 12/29/2013 08:00 PM, James Henningsen wrote:
> I am deciding on whether to put new chrome wires on my TR4 rebuild project.
> I want to go tubeless and wondered what the experiences of the list were
> from Dayton or Dunlop wheels. Also, do you need a specialty shop to mount
> the tires on these?  Since my 4 is an early one, I am also considering the
> wide white walls as on the original postcard photo and dread going to the
> local tire shop to have mounted.  I can just see a black streak on the white
> walls from their machine.  Haven't had wires before so appreciate any
> feedback.  Just pulled the rear axle out and leaf springs for a redo.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Henningsen
>
> Ocala, FL
>
> 62 TR4 x2
>
> 75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:01:51 -0700

Jim --

I have recently (1 year) put the Daytons on my other LBC and had to reseal
the spokes to get them to hold air w/o tubes.  Possibly due to the factory
seal being scraped during mounting (looked pretty skimpy to me) but they
are fine now.

I have had the painted Dunlops on my TR4 for about a decade (on & off as I
also use them on my TR3A) and think they look great -- but that's just my
taste:  E-Types look right with chrome wires, TRs look right with painted.

I, too, mount and balance my own with Harbor Freight equipment.  Just
replaced my old Coopers with Vreds this past week.  185/15s are very easy
to mount thanks to that tall side wall.  I always mount from the backside
so there are no marks on the rim or tire when I'm done.  A shop should be
able to do the same if that is your concern.

Geo

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM, James Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:50:28 -0600

James,

Alan at Hendrix Wire Wheel discouraged me from going tubeless even though my
new Dunlop 60-spoke painted wheels were touted to be such.

Instead of the DIY route I waited for a sale and had Moss ship the wheels to
him, bought Nankang wide white walls from Diamondback and had them shipped
to Hendrix as well.  Alan took care of re-painting the wires red to match
the interior of the car, mounting, balance & shaving.  All was securely
packaged and shipped to me for immediate installation. Now I turn heads
wherever I drive it, see June of last year's BCF calendar.

BTW, per Alan, chrome wires have SS spokes and are not as strong and the
painted steel.

NFI,
Bill 

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of moss13.JPG]

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:56:39 -0500

Bill and all:	
Thanks for the responses on the wire wheel question.  I am going to give
Alan a call at Hendrix. 
Cheers,
Jim Henningsen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 11:50 AM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Wire Wheels

James,

NFI,
Bill