Subject: [TR] Info. on Towing a Spitfire

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:47:38 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1385574460; bh=CJd2qobSGW34ORuGGtfB25jM0UWavS56zNkQ9gv/Ehw=; h=Received:Received:Message-Id:From:To:Content-Type:Subject: Mime-Version:Date; b=hnfYNvcVuN5lS3SM9XLsartscbqeCAPhO4v0L6g91PgYGvthGPmQ6oJJad/ZcPKGK e1gx9sWeqOVZKx336H7N+ojK4QMeMdrMOKBTqEygVzUvp/t5LoRxC5nf/La06q2Dc9 HhwLg9xXYWGOtH4WqPKy/Au6ac/DkG3B/2YbVI7mO+g3v/0WCQmajbSr2joVmKyaCK /KSXXKo28OPqwl9Z2xT21FS9wyuJGNjeCps+1RWCsj4Oh73h0vkWHCHOLMHVeN8rbI imLzAJvpEv8QW+GeifmS1Z2jPpJ/qq1KoiOmVzQLR2Z5R57uRskDe22aN1EjMv4D0t Ihm2uQ8PSL7Cg==

Thanks to all for providing input on the subject of towing a Spitfire.  
Here's some take away points.

1) Attaching a tow bar

The bumper is too flimsy to attach to. And I did find in the Haynes  
manual where they say to NOT attach a tow rope to the bumper.
I will need to fabricate some brackets to attach to the frame  
extensions and then attach the tow bar brackets to those.

2) Transmission considerations

This was somewhat of a mixed bag.
The majority said the transmission would suffer if oil wasn't being  
flung onto the gears.
I got no reports of anyone having an actual problem with a  
transmission not being lubricated when flat towing. But maybe I just  
haven't heard from those folks.
I had some folks say they'd flat towed British cars many miles without  
an issue. In some cases they'd flat towed all over the country.
Some said that since the gears weren't under load that the lubrication  
from the oil sloshing around in the case was enough.
Some recommended a Remco driveshaft disconnect coupling (there are  
very few others out there). The cost of one including modifying the  
driveshaft would be much more than a replacement Spit tranny.
Many said just trailer it or use a car dolly with the car backwards  
and the steering wheel strapped down. But I'm lazy and looking for the  
quick easy way of just  reducing the process to hooking/unhooking the  
two bolts on the tow bar at the car.
My idea of locking the clutch in the disengaged position with the  
gearbox in 4th gear was met with distain and suspicion.  Too many  
things (clutch MC or slave) could fail and cause problems.

I'm not going to be doing cross country trips towing a Spitfire  just  
from Denver to the mountains and back, maybe 150 miles total. I have a  
trailer for the race car of course but I just don't want to deal with  
the weight, length, loading, unloading, for such short trips and in  
camp grounds when we do side trips.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. I'm still  
contemplating what I'll do but now know options and consequences.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:07:53 +0000 (UTC)

> transmission not being lubricated when flat towing. 

Not a Triumph, but I burned up an output bearing in a Ford Cortina on a cross-metro tow.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:19:38 -0500 (EST)

I wonder how many of these success stories were cars equipped with 
overdrive. The problem with flat towing is the oil doesn't get distributed if the 
gears are not turning but if the transmission is equipped with an overdrive 
the planetary gear assembly turns and will fling oil about and perhaps a 
sufficient amount will find its way into the main gear cluster thus saving it 
from self destruction.

Just a hypothesis.

Dave

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:14:31 -0800

> haven't heard from those folks.

Not a Spitfire, and I'm not certain how far it was towed with the rear wheels on the ground.  But I have the remains of a TR3
transmission that was apparently ruined by flat towing.  The mainshaft was blue where it engages with the bearing to the input shaft
(which I now use as a clutch alignment tool), and scored from running in the dry bushings.

Even with Russian Roulette, you've got a 5 out of 6 chance.
Randall