Subject: [TR] Trafficator TR3

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:48:21 -0500

I decided to finally get to a job I have been putting off for quite some 
time.

A few years ago I noticed my steering wheel was a bit loose so yesterday 
seemed like a good day to start the job.

It was about 50 degrees so I wouldnt freeze in the garage.

Removing the trafficator assembly was not that difficult. The three set 
screws loosened ok and I was able to remove the brass nut and ferrule on 
the gearbox.

I then looked through my socket collection but soon discovered I didnt 
have one large enough! Maybe that is the reason I didnt get it tight 
enough with my channel locks. in the first place!

Quick trip to Lowes didnt produce the socket. It turned out to be a 1 
5/16. They had 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. Clerk said it was a special size.

Well, next door is a Tractor supply and they had the socket and it was 
only 8 bucks.

So back home I attached the socket to my impact wrench and I now have a 
tight wheel.

So I turned my attention to the trafficator assembly. I purchased a NOS 
wire harness a few years back on Ebay. The existing one was frayed in a 
few spots and had shorted out in the past leaving the horn on.

I figured it would be a easy swap. I forgot how small those screws and 
nuts are and the fact that I cant see S$%t.

Well I got the new harness installed and with the help of my wife, now 
have the assembly installed!

I hope that is the last time I have to work on that assembly! And I am 
happy that Triumph left that design on the bench when they came out with 
the 4. Must be because of the Rack and Pinion.

Now all I need is Spring!

Bob

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive