Subject: [TR] Towing a Spitfire

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:05:47 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1385413549; bh=qRjcjU0Yhssq38OyLV6OdBcynUX/2d5aYx5s4UD+60Q=; h=Received:Received:Message-Id:From:To:Content-Type:Subject: Mime-Version:Date; b=F+lXmO1vW7nQRKKRV0lyQCq+cqsvu/qs5gyJK0FaO1rl8ppp6+nUXW4un/70bT+AK AwuxacRFjtfKJqlBqyvoXjUQgMjSHyavij4A5XI4ioh3oRMzqg3JMcPa7a1KOmym4J gCm4gnCKLErziTevQjTKo8DQQ9rShMHVq4ysHOvdYOv6eaN+aEGZUC3C3umywXyxkr CkBgDXOafwJxd4N8xn2zzr/KyDLnp1TTwxmHNKt+d5QQTDFGpBp4ijr+Eb5b+wgKlt J3s4+aGE3Az0RPa4GOlgON9o8skkFmvPYyNAhS8k2CtWgIWTgZpSIL9F0kRaQH1BIP SboCV3aSZSnyw==

List,

Has anyone used a tow bar to tow a Spitfire? I'm thinking of buying a  
Spitfire to tow behind the RV and was wondering if it's possible (and  
safe) to attach a tow bar to the front outriggers that the bonnet/ 
bumper attaches to. Or if there's a better method I'd like to hear  
about that too. Not interested in a car dolly or trailer (got one)  
towing just flat towing. If you know of a specific type of tow bar  
that works that would be great. I could fabricate some brackets to fit  
the outriggers as an adapter to the tow bar brackets if needed but I  
thought I'd query the list to get some ideas.

Somewhat related story:

Hardy Prentice was at 2013VTR in October and was telling me how he  
flat towed his TR3 race car (which was on display in the hotel lobby)   
behind an E type Jag to all his races. He said with the TR3 loaded  
with spares, race tires, and all his tools the car weighed more than  
the E type which made for some interesting driving experiences. But  
certainly Hardy could handle it if anyone could.

I'm not going to try that but I would like to flat tow a nice light  
Spitfire (1600 lbs or so) behind my RV. I even have SWMBO's buy in as  
she thinks we need a car to drive around when we go camping in the RV.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive