Subject: [TR] Little Rock Nov 15, 16, 17

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:18:15 -0600

Hi, all.

Ibm going to a wedding Nov 16 (evening).

I've convinced the wife to go in the TR6!

any british stuff happening?  anyone want to meet for breakfast on the 17th?

dave northrup
dallas, tx

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:01:39 -0600

I recommend, and did:

aluminum fan base
electric fan
lightened flywheel
shaved, ported and polished head
decked block
pistons 30 over
balanced engine
goodparts gp2 cam
goodparts triple carb setup (uses the zs carbs)
goodparts lowered suspension springs
upgraded goodparts front sway bar
goodparts rear swaybar
goodparts adjustable camber rear trailing arm mounts
heavy duty rear lever arm shocks 
http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/ShockRec.jpg
replacement lug nuts (hated that flakey chrome look) 
http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/LugNuts.jpg
brass gas tank sending unit float 
http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/fordfloat.jpg
litezupp L.E.D stop and rear blinkers 
http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/LIteZupp.jpg
digital flasher unit  http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/BlinkerEL12.jpg
215/60R15 yokohama tires  http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/scan0008.jpg
high torque starter from ted schumacher

do all this and you won't recognize the car.  but YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!
this car is competitive with a tr6 with a rover v8 in autocross

all pretty well documented at www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6

contact me offline if you have any questions.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Rochlin
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 4:08 PM
To: [email-masked] ; Truiumphs
Subject: [6pack] 72" TR6 Engine Rebuild

Hi List,   I'm contemplating rebuilding the engine of my 72' TR6 this
winter.  I am hoping the collective experience of the list can give me some
guidance as to some of the decisions I'll have to make.   I'm thinking of
getting a cam just a little hotter then stock and shaving the head just a 
bit.
I've been very happy with the performance of the original ZS carburetors and
wonder of they are  able to supply the increased fuel demands of the new set
up. As far as I understand the jets are fixed.   Speaking of cams, how
necessary are cam bearings?  Should I have them installed while I'm doing 
the
rebuild?  The engine runs very well, but bit doggie.  I don't think that 
it's
ever had any machine shop work done.  I did a compression test about a year
ago.  The results were low of 85, hight of 120.  A leak down test confirmed
that almost all the lost compression was through  the rings.  The car burns
almost no oil (it just leaks out a little)  what other components should I
replace as a matter of course during the rebuild?  Anything I should look 
out
for?  I am long forward to hearing your advice.  Take care.  Bob

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:22:55 -0500

Bob,

I did a 72 a few years back.

I replaced:

Main and small end bearings.
Front and rear seal
Rings
Had the block hot tanked and cylinders honed. They had zero wear.
Head hot tanked and shaved a bit to insure it was flat, with new 
hardened exhaust seats installed. Bronze valve guides. Valve job. Went 
with original valves.
Crank just had the journals polished. All surfaces were at spec.
Steel front crank sealing block to replace the original aluminum one 
which was stripped where the oil pan bolts attach.
Also:

Flywheel resurfaced.
Exhaust manifold jet hot coated.
Upgraded thrust washers from Wishbone.
Rebuilt distributor from Advanced with micro advance/retard added (like 
on the 3 and 4)
Hitachi SU HS6 carburators from Paltech. (I am SU thru and thru) Didnt 
want to have to learn ZS.

Had the cam journals polished. Did not add bearings.

Stayed with the original lifters, rockers, push rods.

great oil flow to the rockers.

Got a Justin Wagner valve cover gasket. But they are now NLA.

Electric fuel pump with regulator.

I just finished my 3rd season and the engine runs just great. Oil 
pressure runs about 70PSI when hot at about 2K RPM. Drops to about 40 - 
45 at idle.
Runs cool and sounds great with the Bell dual exhaust system.

Starts right up and idles at 700 RPM after warming up.

I have to say rebuilding a 6 engine seemed easier than the 3 or 4 engines.

Bob
On 11/03/2013 05:08 PM, Bob Rochlin wrote:
> getting a cam just a little hotter then stock and shaving the head just a bit.
> necessary are cam bearings?  Should I have them installed while I'm doing the
> rebuild?  The engine runs very well, but bit doggie.  I don't think that it's
> replace as a matter of course during the rebuild?  Anything I should look out