Subject: [TR] TR4A - Tuning Update

From: "Jim Vassiliadis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:09:10 +1300

My idle always jumped around.
My tensioner had broken and as a consequence my chain was sloppy.
I didn't hear any nboise from that area, mind you my exhaust noise might
have drowned any noise from the timing chain.
I have replaced both but as my car is still in bits I can't tell you whether
it fixed the problem.
 
Jim and the Black TR4

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:49:05 -0500 (EST)

Why does the phrase "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" come 
to mind?

You be we all love it.  An essential part of the charm.

Dave

In a message dated 11/21/2013 3:23:36 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> It's a
> lumpy, rough old blighter and smoothness was never its second name - but 
> don't
> we all love it?

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 17:39:56 -0500

I dont totally agree. Both my 3 and 4 idle pretty smooth. The 3 has 87 
mm pistons but the rest is stock. The 4 is stock but with HS6 carbs and 
the later TR4A intake manifold. Once they warm up the idle is at about 
800rpm and very steady.

But saying that, the 6 does idle at about the same rpm but does feel 
"smoother". That is due to 6 cyls vs. 4 I am sure.

Maybe it time to get the distributor rebuilt?

Bob

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 4:50:32 +0000

I was going to say the same thing as Bob, my old 4A had a very smooth and sweet running engine after I rebuilt the motor and carbs, I used 87mm pistons too, maybe that is the secret.  Smooth runner, pulled like a train from 2-4000 rpm in 2nd, kind of a big faithful dog of an engine, it never seemed overly sensitive to timing and mixture adjustments and always treated me well even if I didn't always treat it well.  

Greg Lemon
68 TR250 (red, current)
66 TR4A (BRG, gone still missed)

---- Bob Labuz <[email-masked]> wrote: 
 I dont totally agree. Both my 3 and 4 idle pretty smooth. The 3 has 87 
 mm pistons but the rest is stock. The 4 is stock but with HS6 carbs and 
 the later TR4A intake manifold. Once they warm up the idle is at about  800 rpm and very steady."