Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A overheating update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:44:22 -0500

The TR3 temperature gauge was marked off with numbers. The first mark was
90 degrees, the center mark was 180 degreesn and the "hot" mark was 230
degrees. I would think those numbers would correspond to your gauge. 150
degrees should not even reach the middle of your gauge. Do you have a
working voltage stabalizer? It might be reading high if its getting full
battery voltage.

Greg G.
Oseo, MN

> I think I may have discovered something interesting while tracing down my
> overheating TR4A problem. I did a calibration test of my temperature gauge
> and
> discovered that if I immerse my temperature gauge sensor in 150 degree
> water,
> the needle stops about 1/4" or less from the "H"? That can't be right??
> Does
> anybody have any suggestions for what a "centered" temperature gauge
> needle
> would represent in degrees F? Or, should I shoot for 212 on the "H"?
> Anyway, I think I am on to something here. The engine never really
> "sounded "
> hot if you know what I mean, no leaking hoses, no wierd whistling sounds..
> Man, I hope this is it??
> Anyway, let me know what I should adjust the gauge to read.
> Thanks,
> Dave Connitt

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:56:03 -0700

On a TR3A the middle of the gauge was 1850.

On a TR4 it was 700C which is 1580 but I have long thought that was wrong,
possibly someone doing the math and getting the parens in the wrong place
--  5/9 * (185 - 32) = 85 whereas (5/9 * 185) - 32 = 70.  The first
equation is correct of course.

Of course, the problem could be in the sender rather than the gauge --
there were several similar looking but quite different senders available.

Geo

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Dave Connitt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> anybody have any suggestions for what a "centered" temperature gauge needle
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 21:49:46 -0500 (EST)

Have you verified that your voltage stabilizer is working?  This can be
verified quickly with a test light or voltmeter.  Connect the voltmeter or
light to the temp sender wire and see if the voltage is flickering.  If it is
steady your stabilizer has failed and your gauges will read high.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Connitt <[email-masked]>

I think I may have discovered something interesting while tracing down my
overheating TR4A problem. I did a calibration test of my temperature gauge
and
discovered that if I immerse my temperature gauge sensor in 150 degree water,
the needle stops about 1/4" or less from the "H"? That can't be right??