Subject: Re: [TR] Pulling TR3 engine/trans

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 05:59:17 -0800

On Nov 19, 2013, at 5:54 AM, William Brewer <[email-masked]> wrote:

>     Just curious. Do you have to pull the stick shift off of the TR3 trans
> when pulling out the TR3 trans/engine combo? Or can you get it out with the
> stick still on? I'll pull the stick off, but I was wondering...
>
>

Ive never removed it when Ive pulled the engine & trans on my TR4A.  You
have to tilt the tranny down anyway when taking it out.

I think the shifter on the TR3 is a little different, but probably doesnt
stick up more overall.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:11:25 -0500

Bill,

I would remove the stick. If you make a mistake and hit the stick on the 
body when removing then it is very possible that the cover casting will 
break at or about the area of where the stick is located. It is not too 
strong in that area. I broke a cover a long time ago just by trying to 
remove the steel collar that holds the stick assembly.

Although you can remove the engine/transmission assembly without 
removing the stick, you will have a lot more room with the stick removed.

So on the same subject, be careful when removing the stick assembly if 
you choose to do so. That steel can sort of cause the casting to rust. 
When replacing use liberal amounts of grease or anti seize.

I also sanded the casting area where the steel collar attach to insure a 
easy fit when re-assembly.

Bob

  On 11/19/2013 08:54 AM, William Brewer wrote:
>       Bill in
> Tehachapi

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:38:56 -0600

Bill,
You can but life is so much easier if you remove it.  Just a couple of bolts
and you have gained another 8-10 inches of clearance.

My tip: Have the car up on secure jack stands so you can get the maximum
tilt on your way out/in to minimize scraping on the firewall and throttle
rod(if not removed).

Enjoy,
Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:55 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Pulling TR3 engine/trans

     Bill in
Tehachapi

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]