Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 fuel level sending unit and gauge issue -- resolved (well sort of)

From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:58:33 -0600 (CST)

Thanks to all who responded - also for the images and links to mga guru.   seems the gauge is toast.  Will send it off for repair.  Sending unit is functioning as it should.   

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
Tampa, Florida

On 11/03/13, CFM-TR wrote:

How do you test a fuel gauge and/or the sending unit out of the car? I am
not getting any readings (no fuel level on gauge). 

wiring: 

a) switched green to 'B' side of gauge

b) 'T' side - green/black into harness and out to insulated side of sending
unit

c) black from other side of sending unit to ground at tank strap

d) added ground from gauge mount to ground point on center dash (which is
also directly connected to frame)

about 10 gallons of gas in tank

Power on - no reading.

I have a test lamp with alligator clips on both sides (indicated as TL
below)

I have a jumper from gauge mount direct to frame ground (FG) as gauge is
hanging loose and not grounded through dash,etc

tests:

1) 'B' side TL to gauge mount tests ok so there is juice to the gauge.

2) Ran a jumper from 'T' side of gauge to the insulated side of the sending
unit (SU) and another from the ground side of the SU to the same FG as
above. still no fuel level on gauge.

3) Jumped between two terminals on sending unit - still no fuel level on
gauge

4) Changed gauge mount jumper from FG to SU ground; 'B' TL to gauge mount
tests ok so the sending unit is grounded. 

5) 'B' side TL to SU-Insulated - no TL; added jumper between 2 SU terminals
- TL ok. Is Sending Unit functional?

I don't know what to do next.

How do I tell if it is the sending unit or the gauge? or could it be both?

Carl

1960 TR3A - TS81802LO

http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 

Tampa, Florida

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:33:09 -0600

Be sure to send your sending unit along with the gauge so they can be tested
as a set.
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Carl TR
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 11:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 fuel level sending unit and gauge issue -- resolved
(well sort of)

Thanks to all who responded - also for the images and links to mga guru.
seems the gauge is toast.  Will send it off for repair.  Sending unit is
functioning as it should.   

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO

wiring: 

Power on - no reading.

tests:

Carl

1960 TR3A - TS81802LO

Tampa, Florida

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]