Subject: [TR] TR4A upper wishbone bushings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:05:38 -0600

Hello List,

My apologies for the premature sending of the incomplete email.

Am rebuilding sub assemblies for my TR4A front suspension.  The new rubber
bushings for the upper wishbones need to be compressed 1/2 in. after the two
bushes are in place in the wishbone and installed on the upper fulcrum.  When
the slotted nut is tightened enough to clear the hole for the split pin, the
exposed rubber bushings are "bulging" from the amount of compression needed to
get the nut in place.  My issue is that although the bushings are installed,
it just doesn't look right with the bulging rubber.  Any comments or personal
experience will be appreciated.  Thanks.

John DeLuca

Sent from my iPad

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:57:37 -0600

I put new upper rubber bushing in my TR4A  few years ago, they didn't last 
long, maybe I didn't get them on right (couldn't ask questions on email 
lists back then) anyway, I replaced them with poly bushings, which are 
pretty reasonable for a set, I thought the steering and general handling 
felt more precise with no deterioration of ride quality, and keep them lubed 
properly (silicone grease) and they should last a long time.  I know there 
are differing opinions on poly bushings, but I think for this particular 
application they work well, have them on my TR250 too.

Greg Lemon

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:04:59 -0500 (EST)

Ditto on Greg's comments about poly.  I've never done a satisfactory job 
installing rubber bushings but it has been said that you must have the 
suspension at normal ride height when you tighten the nuts since the rubber doesn't 
rotate, it deflects and you want it to deflect equally to either side of 
the mid point.  If you tighten the nuts at full extension (as I did) then they 
will be overstreched at full compression.

Dave