Subject: [TR] Head Question

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:14:46 -0500

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but better safe than sorry.  Do you
use any gasket sealant when installing a new copper head gasket on a TR4
motor?

Thanks,

Jim Henningsen

Ocala FL 

62 TR4

75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 07:30:08 -0800

I use Copper Sealant - either "coppa seal" spray or "copper coat gasket
compound" brush on by K&W - I have never blown a TR3/4 head gasket and have
put heads on 5 of them.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Henningsen
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 7:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Head Question

Thanks,

Jim Henningsen

Ocala FL 

62 TR4

75 TR6

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:40:08 -0500

+1 to Jonas - I reused my last head gasket (copper version) after
spraying it with copper head gasket spray and after 2000 miles we are
still going strong (knock wood).

Chris

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:34:17 +0000

> use any gasket sealant when installing a new copper head gasket on a TR4

Are you talking about the original copper-clad composition gasket, or the solid copper gasket sold for racing?

The TR2/3 workshop manual specifies "Wellseal" for the head gasket, while the TR4 manual just says "jointing compound".

For me, it doesn't seem to make any difference, so I gave up using anything.  As long as the liner protrusion is within range on both sides of each liner, the stock gasket seems to seal just fine dry.  And if the protrusion isn't right, no amount of goop is going to help.  YMMV

Randall