Subject: Re: [TR] Towing a Spitfire

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:20:10 -0700

The recommended method is to Trailer it.  This is because the transmission
gets oiled by the input shaft slinging oil onto the gears.  If the
driveshaft is in place the rear wheels will be turning the gears without
lubrication.

So if you have no other option, you must remove the driveshaft prior to
towing or using a dolly where the rear wheels are on the ground.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bud R
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 2:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Towing a Spitfire

List,

Has anyone used a tow bar to tow a Spitfire? I'm thinking of buying a  
Spitfire to tow behind the RV and was wondering if it's possible (and  
safe) to attach a tow bar to the front outriggers that the bonnet/ 
bumper attaches to. Or if there's a better method I'd like to hear  
about that too. Not interested in a car dolly or trailer (got one)  
towing just flat towing. If you know of a specific type of tow bar  
that works that would be great. I could fabricate some brackets to fit  
the outriggers as an adapter to the tow bar brackets if needed but I  
thought I'd query the list to get some ideas.

Somewhat related story:

Hardy Prentice was at 2013VTR in October and was telling me how he  
flat towed his TR3 race car (which was on display in the hotel lobby)   
behind an E type Jag to all his races. He said with the TR3 loaded  
with spares, race tires, and all his tools the car weighed more than  
the E type which made for some interesting driving experiences. But  
certainly Hardy could handle it if anyone could.

I'm not going to try that but I would like to flat tow a nice light  
Spitfire (1600 lbs or so) behind my RV. I even have SWMBO's buy in as  
she thinks we need a car to drive around when we go camping in the RV.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:39:12 -0700

Thanks to all for the help.  Good point about the gearbox needing  
lubrication.

How about if I put it in 4th gear and lock the clutch in the  
disengaged position (as it would be if the clutch pedal were pushed in)?

Will the input shaft spin and the oil deflector throw oil on the gears  
from the wheels/diff/driveshaft/mainshaft/input shaft spinning?

Looks like the clutch master cylinder shaft could be made to be locked  
in place at the MC bracket with the clutch in the disengaged position  
(clutch pedal were pushed in).

The Remco driveshaft disconnect coupling looks like a good solution,  
but a rather expensive one.  I can jury rig a MC "lock" quite a bit  
cheaper.

Is a 69 Spitfire front bumper substantial enough to use for tow bar  
brackets?

Thanks
Bud Rolofson