Subject: Re: [TR] Stuck Clutch

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 22:40:41 -0600

Strange little cars we own, eh Ronnie.

I didn't have the noise but all was perfect, as you experienced, after I got
mine unstuck last week.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 10, 2013, at 7:07 PM, "ronnie babbitt" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Several months ago during several weeks if rain and high humidity. I had
the
> opportunity to drive the 3 to a football game. I came home parked the car.
> Later I jumped in the 3 to take a drive and was unable to for the disc was
> rusted to the flywheel. Today I thought I would take a look at it. Jacked
up
> the car. Remover. The inspection plate and discovered I had wasted my time.
> I had hoped to free it by sliding a putty knife between the too. Only to
> discover there is nothing to see behind the plate. So after reading all the
> recent posting. I decided to pull the car using my Yukon. In second gear
> with the ignition on it immediately broke loose.  However it was making the
> most frighting squeal of which sounded as if it were coming from the Engine
> I quickly cut it off. Starting it up again wither clutch depressed it would
> go away. My initial thought was I has spun a bearing. Every time the clutch
> was depressed the squeal went away. I decided I would drive it around the
> block, as I did the sound diminished. All of a sudden it made one last I
> pitch squeal with a pop and it went silent. No more squeal. Clutch worked
as
> designed. All was quiet. Took her to the big hill near my house and up she
> pulled just fine. It was very strange how the sound ended.
>
> Ronnie Babbitt
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 22:09:38 -0600

Ronnie,

My first thought was pilot bearing or release bearing, but would think they 
would more likely squeal with the clutch disengaged than engaged, right?

Maybe the starter motor pinion got stuck on the ring gear then came loose?

Greg Lemon

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:57:17 -0600

Thinking about this thread and remembered that the ever thoughtful Kubota
Tractor people included a small block of wood in my tool kit to block the
clutch in the disengaged position during storage.  So, I thought this might
be a good idea for the TR3B that is chassis-complete and waiting months for
the body work to be ready.  I cut a piece of wood and blocked the clutch
open, maybe a good thing for others who need to store their LBCs for the
winter. 

Just a thought,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ronnie babbitt
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:08 PM
To: triumphs2 TRlist 
Subject: [TR] Stuck Clutch

Several months ago during several weeks if rain and high humidity. I had the
rusted to the flywheel. Today I thought I would take a look at it. Jacked up
pitch squeal with a pop and it went silent. No more squeal. Clutch worked as

Ronnie Babbitt