Subject: [TR] 1974 TR6 EGR Valve & Misc Questions

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 18:49:40 -0800 (PST)

Is there any reason to retain the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve
on a 1974 TR6? It just seems like a power robbing monstrosity that needs to go
away. I am considering removing it and blanking it all off. I am planning on
using the vacuum port on the aft carburetor for my newly installed vacuum
advance.

     My ignition switch is intermittent. Frequently you have to turn
it on about 5 or 10 times before the starter spins. At the same time, when the
"fasten seats belts" light comes on the car will begin to start. I am guessing
that it is the 1974 only device that requires the seat belts to be fastened
before the car will start. My car is missing the seat belts, but still starts.
I'll investigate it further tomorrow, but maybe it is something else. Does
anyone have any other ideas? I found the Dan Master's write-up on bypassing
the switch.

     There is the thermostatic switch on the top radiator hose.
It appears to be full of vacuum leaks. I am considering replacing it with  an
earlier one piece hose and blanking off the vacuum ports. I would also blank
off where the hot water circulates through the carbs. Is there any advantage
to the thermostatic switch causing heating water to circulate through the ZS
carbs? It seems like more power robbing smog equipment that worked marginally
at best. If it does something useful then I'll fix it and keep it.

     The
anti-run on valve seems to be always on and running my battery down. Today I
connected the battery and I can hear it click on. Can someone explain to me
how this works and how I might fix it? Do they work? Is it worth fixing or
should it be bypassed?

     I need to grease the rear half shafts. I see in
the manual that there should be a zerk fitting on each U-joint. Does that also
lubricate the splines? Can you peel over the boots to get to the U-joint zerks
or does that ruin the boots?

     My apologies for the barrage of questions.
The car sat for 25 years and I am trying to wake it back up. I am used to the
simplicity of my TR3 and frustrated by the TR6 until I get used to it.

 TIA,

     -Bill

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive