Subject: [TR] amps

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

My amp guage is confusing me greatly.  (tr-3)  It's a recent restoration and
the needle did not move at all until I found that the needle was binding which
I fixed by taking apart the guage and bending the needle.   

Now  when I
flick on the headlights to test, the needle moves a fraction of a degree but
in the plus direction.  When I turn on the heater it doesn't move at all (the
heater motor is powered straight (with its own fuse) from the power side of
the starter solenoid.  More strangley; when I flick the turn signal to the
LEFT the amp needle waves madly from -30 to +30 in time with the "click" of
the turn signal.  Flicking the turn signal for a RIGHT turn and the needle
sometimes moves only a tiny bit in the right + direction.  But it moves MORE
to the right when I flick the turn signal immediately from left turn to right
turn.

When a load is put on the battery such as turning on the lights, heater
ect. shouldn't the amp needle move to the minus side rather than plus?  Just
wondering whether it's the guage or control box.  

Hope this is
understandable.

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive