Subject: Re: [TR] Gas smell

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 15:03:02 -0700

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Agree.  If you park a car in a garage that has an open fuel system after
> its well warmed up you will get a strong gas odor.

I park 3 British cars in my garage every day, all have SU &/or ZS carbs and
vented tanks yet I get no gas smell.

If I were to smell gas I would be looking for a leak.

A slow fuel leak can create a big smell w/o showing much in the way of fuel
spillage as the fuel may evaporate before presenting any drip or visible
accumulation.

One way to search for a leak is to wipe about with a brown or blue gas
station paper towel -- even a very small amount of fuel will show up as a
dark spot on those towels.  Wipe around the usual suspects -- carbs, fuel
pump, fuel line to hard line connections, etc.).

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:06:21 -0500

I'm with george.  no gas smell in my garage except when there is a leak.  3 
to 4 lbc's (well one is an ljc - little japanese car)

-----Original Message----- 
From: Geo Hahn
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:03 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] Gas smell

Geo