Subject: Re: [TR] Hi Torque Starters - Problems

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 16:16:58 -0400

John,

Never had the need. The starter on the 58 is a bullet original sans new 
brushes and turning down the commutator. The starter on the 63 4 is 
original with new brushes only. As far as I can tell the starter on the 
72 6 is original.

Since I dont start in winter, no need for high torque. Cars usually 
start on the 2nd or 3rd turn when cold.

I would look at getting a rebuilt Lucas starter. I cant understand how 
moisture could get at the solenoid or other parts. Must be a poor 
design. I have never seen corrosion in any Lucas starter I have 
serviced. I see TR4 type starters on Ebay from time to time.

Bob

On 10/04/2013 03:43 PM, John & Pat Donnelly wrote:
> I'm now into my fourth hi torque starter in 12 years. Each one of them went
> south due to corrosion buildup in the solenoid region first, then more
> corrosion in the gear area. It looks like it doesn't drain water very well.
> One came from TRF, one from Moss and one from TSI. The one arriving today is
> from BPNW. All failed after two or so years of use (12 mo warranty, of
> course).
>
> I missed TRFest this year because of the damned thing. Anybody else have
> problems with them?
>
> Johnnie
>
> '67 TR4A

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:42:30 -0400

With all of the oil that seems to seep from our cars, I'm surprised that
corrosion is an issue. Is it salt related? Our cars get put away for the
winter before any salt gets applied to the roads so I guess we don't have
that issue. We have a gear reduction starter that came from Gustafson
Machine and it is now about ten years old. Never had a problem until about a
month ago when we didn't even get a click from it when restarting a hot
engine. Later in the day (after the CT TR Register show), it worked fine.
I'll need to look at the entire starter insulated circuit to see what's up.
Our old Lucas starter had wiped-out bushings and the armature shaft was well
worn where it sits in the bushings. 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John & Pat Donnelly
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:43 PM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Hi Torque Starters - Problems

Johnnie

'67 TR4A

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 17:17:52 -0400 aRv3K6HPNy0u58/rOwsM89L10Fm50+OStvUTSvprC2p+GpdtVN svUE8lu8Y4fYPU8BxhHIU1GjjHZLjx56OAX6f6EfTKyno3xquD X7kCpkF2dfNGzh734HYGLCsWKaq99ia0JVyo6rbv9w3oMYnu7g gGVGqsOm8HU0nsNMrDSrzAfi/IPv1dO9m0CRouI/1Vu8hk7PsN 0DcKThMadFVCIFKe4AOeRaKr8H5zZWvBElSjAC2KQDyvF5MMFE DyxrqCSeN6v3bkfFhPD9CkcJ+k99V1+6tBLwz9t+ZIVVCEoNcP BKh0BeEj62KdyHnBGBZYwj4NooNpdGRjJqlSsv56h

I'm into 6 full years with the one from Ted at TSI...... Haven't heard 
anything from the 6-Pack guys about the problems you're having.

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

-----Original Message----- 
From: John & Pat Donnelly
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:43 PM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Hi Torque Starters - Problems

Johnnie

'67 TR4A

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]