Subject: Re: [TR] Replacing TR4 transmission mount - from the top or bottom?

From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:08:42 -0500

Dean-

I've only taken them off from above.  It may be possible from below, but I'm
skeptical.  Too many things in the way to get access to all the bolts - the
tough ones I think would be the main mount bolts from the gearbox tailshaft to
the mount.  After that, you'd either need to raise the whole gearbox up to get
the mount to clear the rear crossmember, or get access to the 4 bolts holding
the crossmember to the frame.  Tough either way.  My advice, bite the bullet
and pull the tunnel cover!

Randy
Texas Triumph Register member & 64 red TR4 owner

>
> I need to replace the transmission mount on my TR4.  The last time I
> replaced it, the car was all apart, and access was easy.  Now I'm trying
> to figure out if I can remove the old one and install the new one from
> underneath the car, or if I need to pull the transmission tunnel and go
> in from the top.
>
> Any guidance and tips will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dean Mericas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:18:51 -0500

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:44:01 -0700

Out from the top is the way to go here.  Actually a pretty straight-forward
one-person job.  It is easier (lighter for one thing) if it is a non-OD
gearbox.

It is so easy to remove the steering wheel on a TR4 (just undo the 2 bolts
holding that clamp thing on the column forward of the firewall and pull it
out) that I remove it and take the box out through the driver's side --
avoids having to wrassle it over the handbrake.

I usually remove both seats (again so easy, just 2 small bolts each) to
have maximum room to work.

I slip a length of pipe crossways under the tail housing to support that
end once all is free.

I use a transmission jack from Harbor Freight to support from below but
that is probably over-complex -- some just use stout crates, etc.

In case you don't know, I think you'll have to raise (and of course
support) the engine a bit -- but keep an eye on the throttle shaft that
crosses the engine bay right in front of the firewall.  Many of those (e.g.
my TR3A) are bowed because someone forgot to look at it whilst jacking the
engine.

Geo

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:52:03 -0700

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Dean Mericas <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Thanks, George.
>
> I only need to replace the mount...

D'oh.  I learned to read in the first grade -- really I did.

Geo