Subject: [TR] Seat belts in TR4A

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:53:01 -0400

Anybody have any suggestions/experience installing 3-point seat belts in a
TR4A? I am at that point and there seems to be several choices. I am wondering
where I would mount the upper portion?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
Almost done,, well almost driveable they are never done.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 07:56:21 -0400 (EDT)

As was suggested, follow the example of the TR6.  Specifically, a late 
model TR6 which was fitted with seat belt retractors and a guide loop mounted 
high on the rear wheel well with the retractor that mounds directly below 
that.  I retrofitted a set of late belts in my early TR6 by mounting the 
retractor using a stack of increasing diameter washers ending with a fender washer 
that is some three inches in diameter.  I figure the amount of tension 
needed to pull that through the sheetmetal would probably take my shoulder off 
first.  On a TR4 I would mount the guide loop in a similar fashion.

Moss has a set of aftermarket belts with retractors that work well.  My 
only complaint is that they are "rate sensitive" and will lock up if you pull 
them out too fast with buckling up.  And they don't fit the plastic 
receivers.  :-(

Dave

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:09:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hi,

I saw a TR4 or TR6 that had installed the retractors down in front of the wheel wells, clear down on the vertical panel right behind the seats.  The owner was pretty happy with the way it works.  It has the advantage of not taking up space on the shelf behind the seat.  Not sure if it interferes with seat travel.

The loop was at the top of the wheel well.

Roger

-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>Sent: Oct 30, 2013 6:56 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [TR] Seat belts in TR4A
>

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:33:56 -0700

Quite a few years ago I installed the retractor belts on the "B" post where
the hook was installed. The kit came with a bolt that matched perfectly with
a pipe-like tapered thread. The loop attached to the hoodstick resting post
on top of the wheel-well. I have Miata seats, and it did restrict the
movement backwards to the point that I switched back to the lap belt. I
hesitate in drilling a hole in the wheel-well on top of the shelf.

My wife liked the retractable belts better because they have longer webbing
and, umm, how do I say this nicely, with her larger size it made it easier
to fasten the belt. :)

I'm thinking about the standard three point belts without the retractor, and
installing them the same way to get the benefits of three points, and the
longer webbing of course.

Johnnie
'67 TR4A

> 
> Hi,
> 
> I saw a TR4 or TR6 that had installed the retractors down in front of
> the wheel wells, clear down on the vertical panel right behind the
> seats.  The owner was pretty happy with the way it works.  It has the
> advantage of not taking up space on the shelf behind the seat.  Not
> sure if it interferes with seat travel.
>