Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 carb rebush

From: Carl Sereda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:34:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Chris,
Just my experience from 1998:
Joe Curto Inc. charged me $40 to ream my 2 Stromberg carbs for 0.10" oversized
throttle shafts. He asked I send my questionable floats (foam seemed to be
cracking from newer gas?), and my rusty carb linkage. He dipped the floats in
gas tank liner fluid to seal and protect them, and he zinc plated the linkage,
making them look and operate like new for additional $15.
>From California I sent just the totally stripped carb bodies and misc. bits
(quite light) to New York and back for cheapest USPost rates.
Very pleased with the results.
Ps; I like the idea you're returning those great Z carbs to your TR4!
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

I'm goning to put bushings in my TR4 stombergs and replace the MCCH's I

currently have in use.

I did not see perfromance improvement and my gas mileage was low.  I played
with them a little bit and swapped in some different chokes, emulsion tube,
etc,  but I could tell I'd be a while to get them dialed in and I'd have to
buy a set of all the different parts to swap in and out until I found the
performance I desired.

So I'll put them on my TR6 and put the old Zenith's back in service. They
ran well but the holes were oblonged and really leaked at idle.

I saw on one of the forums a step by step for rebushing Strombergs but
can't find it for the life of me -- can anyone point me there?    Also any
advice from those that have done it?  piloted reamer, etc.

Sending them out for a high dollar refurb is not an option for me. (and I
like doing things myself :)).

Thanks  Chris

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:41:23 -0700

For what it's worth, I prefer that the carbs be bored and bushed to the
original spec shafts rather than oversize ones.  It is less metal in the air
flow path.

Joe C. (that's Curry not Curto)  ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Carl Sereda
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 carb rebush

Hi Chris,
Just my experience from 1998:
Joe Curto Inc. charged me $40 to ream my 2 Stromberg carbs for 0.10"
oversized
throttle shafts. He asked I send my questionable floats (foam seemed to be
cracking from newer gas?), and my rusty carb linkage. He dipped the floats
in
gas tank liner fluid to seal and protect them, and he zinc plated the
linkage,
making them look and operate like new for additional $15.

currently have in use.

Thanks  Chris

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]