Subject: Re: [TR] Looking for TR4A parts

From: Bill Babbitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 06:16:51 -0400

Creig
You should have someone familiar with wire wheel hubs look them over. You may
actually have one new hub and three badly warn hubs. ISTR that the new ones
are flat top and as they wear the sides of the splines come together and
eventually touch, resulting in a sharp pointed top.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 31, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am in the process of restoring an early TR4A and I could use a few parts.
>
> The car I have has TR6 seats. I'd like to have 4A seats if someone has a
set
> they would like to sell.  I would trade the TR6 seats or sell them if I
find
> TR4 seats.
>
> The car is a spoke wheel car.  One left rear hub has slipped some time in
> its life.  The tops of the teeth are flattened, not triangular like the
> other 3 wheels.  If I could find one good hub, I would trade out the one
> that isn't so good.  I could also use one 60-spoke painted wheel for a
> spare.  I've got 4.  A 5th would be nice.
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Creig Houghtaling
> Fenton, MO 63026
> 314-401-7817
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:29:52 -0700

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>wrote:

> The car I have has TR6 seats. I'd like to have 4A seats... I would trade
> the TR6 seats or sell them if I find
> TR4 seats.

You may know this but just in case (since you mention both) TR4A seats are
different from TR4 seats.  I think the frames are the same so it is of no
matter if you get a set that will need to be recovered, but upholstery
itself changed with the 4A (good illustration of this in the Moss catalog).

Good call by Bill on the wire hub splines.  If your budget can stand it I
think you'd be doing yourself a big favor to get 4 new hubs and wheels --
then you're set for decades of trouble-free driving (where those parts are
concerned anyway).

Geo