Subject: [TR] Radiator Fan switch

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:00:05 -0500

Hi,

I suspect my radiator fan switch is not working as it should.  Is there 
a way to test it?

I put the old one and a new one in a cup of hot water - not sure of the 
temp, but I used the hot beverage setting on the microwave, then went 
another 30 seconds, so I thought it be over 180.

Neither of the switches showed continuity.

But now for my biggest problem.  When I tried to take the old switch out 
of the radiator, the bung came out with it.  I am assuming that is 
something a radiator shop should be able to fix.

If I could seal it and get to the shop would they be able to fix it in 
the car?

Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 1:11:11 +0000

> Neither of the switches showed continuity.

A little poking around seems to suggest that 180 isn't enough.  Only rating I found was for "92-87 degrees", which I take to mean that it will not close until almost 200F (92C) and then stay on until below 190F (87C).

> If I could seal it and get to the shop would they be able to fix it in 

Very unlikely, I would say.  They will want to dip the whole radiator in their cleaning tank, to get clean metal to solder to; and then paint it afterwards.

Randall