Subject: [TR] TR Grease Cap Removal

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 21:13:12 -0700 (PDT)

I had to remove a grease cap off of the front hub on my TR6. It was
seriously on there and banged up from whoever last tried to get it off. I
ended up hitting it with a cold chisel to finally get it off. What a PITA.
   
 Is there a way to set up grease caps so you can get them off easier for next
time? I was thinking of drilling a hole through the center and mig welding a
nut on the outside so I could thread a bolt through and push against the stub
axle to push it off. Likewise, I thought about just putting a little blob of
weld on the outside of the cap so I could butt up a drift to it to tap it off
easier.
     Has anyone got any tricks to getting these grease caps off
easier?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 02:24:37 -0700

> axle to push it off.

There should already be a 10-32 hole for that.  But I find that the threads
are usually not strong enough, so I epoxy a nut inside the cap.  (ISTR that
was originally a tip from Geo Hahn)

Or you could probably find a cap at FLAPS with the rolled edge so you can
pry it off.

Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:29:00 -0700

> snap on makes a tool specifically for this task.

How does it grab the cap?  I've seen the tools designed for the
American-style caps, with the rolled edge for the tool to grab; but never
one to grab a smooth cap like the original TR caps.

Randall