Subject: [TR] Diff Pinion Seal

From: "Jim Vassiliadis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:16:47 +1200

My mechanic has removed the drive flange and has said that the drive flange
has a mark that needs to be removed by linishing prior to speedy sleeving
and installing a new seal.
He then said that if its linished to remove the mark then it wont need a
speedi sleeve.
However what he is not sure about is whether the diff has to be taken apart
to be reshimmed now that the drive flange has been removed.
Does anyone know whether he can just put the flange back and do up the nut
or he we opened up a can of worms?
Any help appreciated.
 
Jim and the 1962 TR4

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 0:45:11 +0000

> or he we opened up a can of worms?

Should be no problem at all on a TR4.  Just torque it to the book value (85-100 ftlb) and put in a new cotter pin.  If the shims were right before, they will still be right afterwards.  (The problem units are later TR6, where the shims were replaced by a single-use collapsible spacer.)

However, I find it odd that your mechanic says the surface has to be refinished before installing a Speedi-sleeve.  The whole point of the sleeve is that the surface does not need to be perfect.  He may be right about not needed the sleeve after the linishing (depends on how deep the mark is), but I wouldn't do both.

Randall