Subject: [TR] Help on adjusting the hood (engine compartment) latch on my TR4A

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:29:12 -0400

Well,
Guess what.. I managed to close and lock my hood and can't open it now.
The good news (if there is any) is that I had installed a backup mechanical
linkage in case the cable release quit.
A little history first..
1. I had completely taken apart the spring assembly that bolts to the
underside of the hood so I am not sure how to adjust that and it is more than
likely not set correctly.
2. I have new rubber bumpers in the rear of the hood and had adjusted them so
the hood sits flat and level alongside the cowl.
Thoughts..
I am considering attaching a pair of vise grips to the vertical stainless
steel wire which is the "handle" for the mechanical release and tapping on the
vise grip (lightly) while someone pushes down on the hood over the latch.
If that doesn't work, I could remove the headlight buckets, remove the bolts
on the hinges and fish a long rod of some kind up to the latch and trip the
release that way.
Once I get the hood open again, does anyone have any suggestions on steps to
adjust the hood latch so I can open and close it without stressing out?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive