Subject: Re: [TR] brake lines

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:56:26 -0400

Ted Schumacher - TSI in Ohio - don't have info handy - but highly recommend

>From my mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Anthony Cascio
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:59 AM
To: [email-masked] car discussion
Subject: [TR] brake lines

List,
Can anyone recommend a vendor for stainless steel brake lines?????
By the way for TR3A.
Thanks

Tony Cascio
58 TR3A
TS27093L
65 TR4A on a TR4 frame
CTC64651LO
[email-masked]
www.triumphowners.com/1489

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:40:39 -0400 (EDT)

If you are looking for SS hard line I recommend Classic Tube
http://www.classictube.com/

I put a set in my car and they mostly fit.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Cascio <[email-masked]>

List,

Tony Cascio
58 TR3A

---

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:29:41 -0400

They are also great for the hard gas lines for the tr3 (the ones under the
hood)
C

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave Massey
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] brake lines

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----

List,

Tony Cascio
58 TR3A

---

From: ADRIAN DIX-DYER <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 00:30:44 +0100

I may be a little late with my contribution. But here goes:

Here in the UK we are still able to use copper brake piping which I believe
is illegal in the US.
I personally agree with the US stance on this subject, it is just too soft
and will corrode easily. As an MOT (UK annual roadworthy test) tester I
have seen many crushed pipes and very green corroded ones.

I always use the cupro nickle tube, branded Kunifer in UK, and always make
up my own using a Snap-On flaring kit and a mini pipe bender. It is the
only way I know of getting the fit and look just right.

As for stainless steel piping I think this is overkill and as an aside too
hard to flare with most kits available.

Or are you reffering to the use of stainless flexi hoses? these are a good
idea as they help prevent a spongy pedal and are very durable. But they
stand out like a sore thumb and are hardly original, not for me
unfortunately.

I often wonder why all car manufacturers never fitted cuporo nickle brake
pipes instead of steel when the car was new. It would save a lot of
dangerous cars on the road a few years down the line.

Adrian
TR4A CT 64306 O
Wales UK

On 17 September 2013 23:40, Dave Massey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:59:40 -0600

> dangerous cars on the road a few years down the line.

I don't recommend using braided stainless for all lines.  The braided 
stuff has just a bit of diameter change under pressure. It's not really 
noticeable for very short runs, such as replacing the rubber hoses, but 
for full runs throughout, the difference in the pedal is noticeable (had 
an associate who used to run FV, and he thought braided lines throughout 
might be an improvement, until the pedal went to the floor the first 
time under hard pedal pressure). Further, the braided line _must_ be 
clipped exceedingly well with rubber-coated clips.  Otherwise, the small 
fibers tend to abrade and wear through with vibration.  Trust me--saw a 
lot of this in buses where the customer specified such tubing. And once 
the braiding goes, all that's left is the Teflon liner.  And with system 
pressures as high as in brakes, the result is the equivalent of an 
aortic aneurysm.  The shame is that there are advanced materials 
fabric-reinforced synthetic rubber hoses that are even stronger than 
braided stainless/Teflon hoses, and much more abrasion-resistant, but 
they must be custom-made, and are therefore rather expensive.

As for not using Cu-Ni-Fe tubing, it's just a matter of production 
costs.  Mild steel is cheap, forms well and generally lasts through the 
warranty period.  That's just the way manufacturing is today--if it 
doesn't cost the manufacturer anything out of warranty reserve, then it 
doesn't get changed.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....