Subject: [TR] Fwd: [TRM 1946-49] Generation gap

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 06:50:08 -0400

I just had to forward this post that came in on the Triumph Roadster list.

It does indeed make one feel old :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Subject: [TRM 1946-49] Generation gap
To: [email-masked]

**
I just received this from a friend....................

About an hour ago I drove through the car park of the Gleneagles Hotel and
came across two young guys studying a map on the boot lid of an immaculate
1974 (N) TR6 with and open top.

It transpired that the two guys in their early 30s had hired it for the day
and were planning a trip in the Perthshire hills. As the conversation
progressed they made the following comments.

It is very stiff to steer

It has a choke and I dont even know what a choke is or what it does

It seems to have an overdrive .What IS that?

The brakes arent very effective.

Weve only driven 20 miles and my leg is sore as the clutch is stiff to
press. Do you think theres something wrong with it?

Having given some explanations about 1970s technology and advice on a
possible route I left feeling very old and with a clear vision of the
generation gap

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:18:09 -0700

In a related vein, there was an interesting question in the Car Talk column
in Sunday's paper, it's on their web site at
http://www.cartalk.com/content/today-recreating-road-trip

I liked their answer - mostly.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brad Kahler
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:50 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Fwd: [TRM 1946-49] Generation gap

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Subject: [TRM 1946-49] Generation gap
To: [email-masked]

**

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:15:16 -0500

I liked most of the answer too, don't agree about always avoiding highways 
with speeds of 65 or above, while interstate travel is not that much fun in 
a TR, if it is in good shape it can easily cruise at 75 with or without O/D, 
the back roads are more scenic and adventurous, but there are times when you 
just can't logically avoid the freeway, and the TRs can handle it.

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:18 PM
To: "'Brad Kahler'" <[email-masked]>; "'Triumphs'" 
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] Fwd: [TRM 1946-49] Generation gap

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]