Subject: [TR] TR3 tonneaau revisited

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 22:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

Since it looks like the tonneau I have is as good as I will get without having
a custom one made I set about to install the lift the dot snaps.  I was able
to stretch it enough to make the fore/aft distance but it is all I can do to
stretch it that far.  I've yet to install the snaps along the sides so it is
yet to be seen it I can make that work.

I predict that in two years time it will not fit at all.

Not happy.

Dave Massey

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:30:48 -0700

> I predict that in two years time it will not fit at all.

Welcome to the club!  Might I suggest that you contact your vendor, and
express your displeasure?  Maybe if enough of us do that, they might update
their patterns.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:39:37 -0400 (EDT)

Good idea.  And the vendor monitors this list.  The vendor will have an 
opportunity to see the tonneau at Triumphest as well.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:56:23 -0400 (EDT)

Not enough time now but ultimately I will have a custom cover made by a 
friend of a friend who is in the business of making such covers for boats 
(usually all custom stuff).

Dave

In a message dated 9/5/2013 12:51:36 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> i bought a NOS AMCO from the internet.
> its probably 30+ years old.
> it didn't fit back in the day apparently

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 15:47:32 -0400

I bought a Robbins tonneau from topsonline (nfi) for my tr2.   I did not
expect it to fit as my tr2 is old enough that the snaps are on the body
near the dash vs on the dash coping.

I heated it up and put it on over several heating sessions - usually only 2
to 4 snaps at a time until all the snaps were on.  I was generally worried
the entire time about breaking one of the studs or snaps as they are scarce
these days.

I leave the tonneau on the car most of the time - but did not take the time
to button it up last time I pulled it in the garage (3 to 4 weeks ago) - I
snapped it up last night with no problems - but it is still pretty warm
here in North Carolina.

Chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 18:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

That sounds like how I'm going about it but I am using the sun to warm it 
and when I start late in the afternoon I run out of sunlight (I got trees).  
I still have two weekends free to finish it up.  That and get the trailer 
ready.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 18:44:24 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone who makes custom boat covers should be able to do these in his 
sleep.

Cheers

Dave

In a message dated 9/5/2013 4:56:36 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> My old AMCO fit very well, it was just real nasty, Jeff Zorn sent it off 
> and had it duplicated for me.

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 00:19:51 -0500

Although my tonneau is for a TR250, the material is used, I fit mine a 
little over two year ago, did it in the warm sun, had to stretch it a little 
and the lift the dots on the front are about as far forward as they can be. 
Although two years is not a lot of time mine seems to have gotten a little 
looser over time, is not bad at all to put on now, used to need a little 
muscle and sun to make it work, less beef and heat is required these days. 
I have been known to push down on the middle when it is all buttoned up and 
sitting out in the sun on a hot day, I think I have stretched it out a bit 
by doing that.

Of course if I were a pessimist I would buy into the old adage, you have two 
choices, "fit it a bit loose, ensuring it will stretch, or fit it a bit 
tight, ensuring it will shrink".

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:44 PM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 tonneaau revisited

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 07:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

I think there was a Mr. Murphy who commented on this.  ;-)