Subject: [TR] New No-Name Dipper Switch may burn your wiring harness

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 21:00:10 -0500

Received this from the MG list, pertains to all LBCs.  
Bill

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Thu, 05 Sep 2013 19:12:50 -0500
From: 	Barney Gaylord
To: 	[email-masked], [email-masked]

Heads up to a faulty new part with possible serious
consequences.   Some new no-name dipper switches have an internal
fault that will short power to ground when depressed.  If held in the
depressed position it could burn up your main wiring harness. The part is
widely used on many brands of British cars, especially in the 1950 to 1965
production period.

The switch is patterned after Lucas type FS22. but it is not a Lucas part.
It is a replacement part for BMC part number 1G2007.  Known bad parts came
from Moss Motors (171-900) and Scarborough Faire.  They have been notified.
Moss has placed a stop on sales of the part pending investigation.

If you have one of these no-name dipper switches, use a continuity tester or
ohm meter to check resistance from the center input terminal to the housing
when the switch is depressed.  Check it through at least two switching
cycles, because it only shorts on every second cycle of the switch.  If you
have one of the switches that has this ground fault, please let me know, and
also the name of the supplier if possible.

For pictures and more information see here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft063.htm

Best cautious regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive