Subject: [TR] TR6 Tires & the story

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 09:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

I need to get new tires on my Mallard 1974 TR6. It looks like most of us
are getting 205-70-15's or 75/15's. I get my tires from a guy near where I
work and will let him order them. Looking at TireRack.com they recommend Kumho
Solis KH16 in 205-70/15 for $72. Anyone have any recommendations? I was going
to buy Kumho's in the past and I think that the model was the Ecsta or
something like that.

     Long story short on bombarding the list with TR6
questions. My TR6 took a solid punch (for the second time, I discovered) to
the left front headlight before I bought it. I took it to a body shop that had
done a good job on my TR3A previously. They completely screwed it up and
played games with me (left car in the rain with now top, acted like they
didn't understand English and written instructions). When I got it back, the
hood couldn't be opened or closed because the hood hinge attach point was
wonkered back about 1" from where it was supposed to be. They put on bondo in
the headlight area that was 1" thick. It wasn't worth dealing with these guys
anymore and I was just happy to get my car back away from them. Then the key
was stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn or come out. The car sat for 4
years in my garage in that state.
     SWMBO has been threatening to have the
car towed to the crusher. I also have found a Triumph Renown that want to pick
up. To avert disaster, I cut out and welded in a new front left clip (front
valence and front left inner fender) from a same year TR6. Now the hood opens
and closes like a Swiss vault and I am really happy with it. I need to take
the car to a different body shop to be repainted. I found a body & paint shop
that paints airplanes and the owner works well with us British car guys
(painted about 5 of my friends British cars) and gives us a good price. I am
taking my car there in two weeks to get it repainted.
     Now that the car is
heading back on the road (off the road since 1980!) It needs lots of love.
Seats, brakes, tires, exhaust, you name it.
     And that's the story.

 Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 16:27:44 -0400

Bill - my only suggestion is to wait on the tires until it is ready for the
road.   If the project stalls, the tires continue to age.  If you have to
get tires to get it around - find some used ones or get tubes.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] TR6 Tires & the story

     I need to get new tires on my Mallard 1974 TR6. It looks like most of
us are getting 205-70-15's or 75/15's. I get my tires from a guy near where
I work and will let him order them. Looking at TireRack.com they recommend
Kumho Solis KH16 in 205-70/15 for $72. Anyone have any recommendations? I
was going to buy Kumho's in the past and I think that the model was the
Ecsta or something like that.

     Long story short on bombarding the list with TR6 questions. My TR6 took
a solid punch (for the second time, I discovered) to the left front
headlight before I bought it. I took it to a body shop that had done a good
job on my TR3A previously. They completely screwed it up and played games
with me (left car in the rain with now top, acted like they didn't
understand English and written instructions). When I got it back, the hood
couldn't be opened or closed because the hood hinge attach point was
wonkered back about 1" from where it was supposed to be. They put on bondo
in the headlight area that was 1" thick. It wasn't worth dealing with these
guys anymore and I was just happy to get my car back away from them. Then
the key was stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn or come out. The car sat
for 4 years in my garage in that state.
     SWMBO has been threatening to have the car towed to the crusher. I also
have found a Triumph Renown that want to pick up. To avert disaster, I cut
out and welded in a new front left clip (front valence and front left inner
fender) from a same year TR6. Now the hood opens and closes like a Swiss
vault and I am really happy with it. I need to take the car to a different
body shop to be repainted. I found a body & paint shop that paints airplanes
and the owner works well with us British car guys (painted about 5 of my
friends British cars) and gives us a good price. I am taking my car there in
two weeks to get it repainted.
     Now that the car is
heading back on the road (off the road since 1980!) It needs lots of love.
Seats, brakes, tires, exhaust, you name it.
     And that's the story.

 Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]