Subject: Re: [TR] TR3/4 tappets

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:09:37 -0700

It was told to me by a TR restorer in the bis for 34 years to only use the
heavy duty ones from BPNW. And I believe him, not the internet. In fact one
of the lightened ones I had in my engine destroyed itself after 3 years and
would have took the cam with it were it not for the cracked block.

Johnnie
67 TR4A

> 
> Moss and British Parts Northwest have a lightened and oil drilled
> tappet with similar part descriptions but BPNW is less than half the
> price of Moss. (half $ x 8 is hard to ignore). But it is for a street
> engine and I could save more money and buy the stock ones. Any
> opinions?
> 
> Allen

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:43:49 -0500

For a street motor I'd use the "stock" ones from BPNW.

Tony Drews

At 10:50 AM 9/11/2013, Allen Hess wrote:
>engine and I could save more money and buy the stock ones. Any opinions?
>
>Allen
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:56:42 -0700

> For a street motor I'd use the "stock" ones from BPNW.
Whatever you buy, be sure to run a hardness test on each lifter. Return 
anything that tests less than Rockwell 50 hardness.  If you are using 
higher pressure valve springs return anything less than 54.  For a full 
race engine the hardness should probably be 56 or above.

TeriAnn

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:00:15 -0700

There had been a series of failed tappet/cam issues with new lifters.  Many
of the new lifters failed to meet the Rockwell hardness test of the ones
coming out.  

The whole ZDDP /Flat Tappet issue happened at the same time.  Ultimately, I
believe it had more to do with the break in lube/oil than the hardness of
the Tappets, as everybody in the hobby was having the same issue - not just
the TR guys.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John & Pat Donnelly
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:10 PM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3/4 tappets

Johnnie
67 TR4A

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:12:48 -0700

> the Tappets, as everybody in the hobby was having the same issue - not just
Well, I still returned a bunch of brand new soft tappets that didn't 
come close to spec.  The factory tappets were over 50 hardness.

And about 2 years ago I had to replace the cam in my TR3 because of wear 
and pitting on both the cam & lifters.  I had been running Castrol with 
no additives.  Since then I only use oil labeled for use with flat 
tappet engines.  All my new tappets tested to 54 or higher.

TeriAnn

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:29:04 -0700

I used this standard on my last 3 TR3/4 rebuilds (2 morgan, 1 TR3) and
haven't had any issues either, but use a ZDDP additive.  

Good insurance, and easy to test for, but I have to admit that I am curious
as to which issue was driving the failures (a combination of the 2?)

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3/4 tappets

On 9/12/13 7:00 AM, Jonas Payne wrote:
> There had been a series of failed tappet/cam issues with new lifters.  
> Many of the new lifters failed to meet the Rockwell hardness test of 
> the ones coming out.
>
> The whole ZDDP /Flat Tappet issue happened at the same time.  
> Ultimately, I believe it had more to do with the break in lube/oil 
> than the hardness of the Tappets, as everybody in the hobby was having 
> the same issue - not just the TR guys.
Well, I still returned a bunch of brand new soft tappets that didn't come
close to spec.  The factory tappets were over 50 hardness.

And about 2 years ago I had to replace the cam in my TR3 because of wear and
pitting on both the cam & lifters.  I had been running Castrol with no
additives.  Since then I only use oil labeled for use with flat tappet
engines.  All my new tappets tested to 54 or higher.

TeriAnn