Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 differential noise

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 08:03:54 -0400

I've posted a Video from Bob here:   http://youtu.be/ybkxG883tbo

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Bob <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello List,
> Is anyone familiar with the sound of a bad bearing in the differential?
> There is oil in the unit, not sure how ol, but the noise is beyond curing
> with fresh oil.
> All the universals are snug, there is no play at all in them.
> I can make it happen with the car running on stands at 1000 rpm in 4th gear
> I don't have anywhere to post a video. I could forward a video if anyone
> has
> a few minutes to hear it.
> TRF has rebuilt units but I cannot justify cost for an occasional driver.
> I am ready to chase down another differential............. there are some
> on
> eBay.
> Regards,
> Bob

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:03:25 -0600

> I've posted a Video from Bob here:   http://youtu.be/ybkxG883tbo

That certainly doesn't sound like a bearing to me--a bearing should be 
grumbly and growly when going bad. The knocking sounds like a u-joint, 
either going bad or operating at too extreme an angle. Since the car is 
on jackstands, it may be that the rear suspension droop is enough to 
bind the joint a little, or the splines in the halfshafts are extended 
enough to cause a little sticking and binding.  Either condition could 
be caused, on jackstands, by rear bushings that are getting a bit 
sloppy, and/or worn diff mounts, so that the diff assembly is being 
jacked around by torque.

But, no, it definitely does not sound like bearings. Even a broken crown 
wheel tooth would be a lot more regular than that. The intermittent 
nature of the noise suggests to me something bouncing up and down 
irregularly, relieving stress in one direction and increasing it in the 
opposite direction.  If you're _sure_ the u-joints are good (a bad 
joint, with the needle bearings gone, can lock pretty firmly in one 
position and not seem loose when checked by hand, but will still make 
lots of noise under changing loads), I'd be looking at the fit of the 
halfshaft pieces.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:13:19 -0400 (EDT)

Sounds like you've lost a tooth or two.  Call Goode Parts and order up a
Nissan diff to replace it.

Seriously, I think you've broken a tooth in the diff.  Do not drive this car
if you value your life.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
To: list Triumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Sep 21, 2013 12:43 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 differential noise

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]