Subject: [TR] Update on stuck hood latch on my TR4A

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:53:12 -0400

SUCCESS!!!
I ended up putting a vise grip on the wire handle and tapped it with a small
hammer and it finally jarred loose!!
I still have to figure out how to adjust the thing. I found a pin assembly in
my parts bins and it is 3-1/8" across the length of the spring and mine was
about 2-7/8" long so I think maybe it is just too tight and just wouldn't
release.
If anyone has set up one of these things, I would really appriciate hearing
from you.
Thanks to all that replied!
Dave Connitt
1967 TR4A IRS

Check out my wood dash my neighbor re-veneered in walnut.
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a  go to progress and click on wood dash..

Almost ready to start!

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 18:00:30 -0700

If you think the pin isn't right (or that the release isn't releasing enough),
you could take the pin off the bonnet and make sure it works in the release.

Beyond that, I made sure the cup on the end was centered on the opening, there
is a depression there.  Perfectly centered for me resulted in a bonnet that
would open on big bumps, so I slowly moved it toward the the release until it
stayed closed on bumps.

-Darrell

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 15:19:06 -0400

As someone already wrote, first be sure that the pin and spring is  
centered over the latch. Then I would adjust the length of the pin on  
the long side (don't know what to tell you as I can't get to mine  
now). The pin has a screwdriver slot in the pointed end and is screwed  
into the bracket and secured with a lock nut. You'll have to pull the  
spring back or fish the wrench between the coils to loosen the nut.  
So, if the pin is adjusted to long the spring will hold it higher than  
the body. Then you can re-adjust to get the hood flush.

One other tip: one time I pulled the hood release and thought I had  
broken the cable or pulled it from the fitting. After I got it open,  
it turned out that the clip on the outer cable which holds the cable  
to the hood latch had slipped off the latch and when that happens, it  
doesn't work.

Allen
TR4 since 1967