Subject: [TR] windscreen "wings"

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:23:31 -0700 (PDT)

Been spending time cruising in newly restored tr-3 and loving it!  Surprised
at all the torque.
This is a raw sports car which I love.  One issue is wind
whipping around the windscreen which methinks the "lady of my choice" might
tire of!
Can anyone give me information on those optional wind screen "wings"
that one attaches to the side of the windscreen?  Do they help or not?
thanks!
gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 1:44:03 +0000

> that one attaches to the side of the windscreen?  Do they help or not?

They do help, but the effect is mostly noticeable at lower speeds.  Not much difference at freeway speeds, IMO.

What some people have done is to fabricate an additional wing that mounts into the side curtain pockets, and sticks out along the top of the door.  I don't know of anyone offering them commercially, but they aren't too hard to fabricate yourself.  Although I don't have them on my car, the ones that Fred Thomas made seemed to make a big difference on his TR3A:

http://tinyurl.com/kxvrewc

Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:43:00 -0700

> Randall:  the URL didn't work. 

Ok, my apologies on several fronts.  First of all, I'm told that Fred didn't
make the wings I linked to, Ronnie Babbitt did.  That certainly makes sense,
as I know Ronnie is a great fabricator and has a beautiful TR3A.  But if
Fred told me that, I simply forgot it.

And sorry about the bad link.  Sometimes the magic works, sometimes ...
Anyway, here's one that should work:
http://tinyurl.com/lq6fpbx

And a bonus second shot
http://tinyurl.com/lzfk58h

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gary;
 
I'm afraid you're going to get a lot of differing opinions on this. When I  
bought my most recent TR3, it was already fitted with them. I didn't like 
how  they interfered with entry/exit, the soft top, and I thought they looked 
sily.  With great trepidation I removed them. I found no difference with 
them removed,  and I live in an area that's largely flat with wide open fields 
and heavy  crosswinds.
 
I've now removed the windscreen altogether and fitted aeroscreens. Again, I 
 find no difference except in rain.
 
Tim

In a message dated 19/08/2013 9:24:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Been  spending time cruising in newly restored tr-3 and loving it!   
Surprised
at all the torque.

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]