Subject: [TR] TR4 engine hoist

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:06:11 -0400

I am getting ready to pull the engine and trans/OD from my TR4. I may  
be able to borrow a crane/hoist from a garage, but I have been looking  
at the Harbor Freight 1 ton which I can get for $99 with a coupon!  
However, (you saw this coming) the maximum extension of the boom is  
claimed to be 50" but that is the total boom length. The actual  
distance from the fulcrum to the hook is about 38" and that is 500  
lbs. From the center of the valve cover to the front bumper is 36".  
The engine is stripped except for the head and that could come off  
too. So the ability of this lift to do the job seems iffy.

Does anyone have experience with the HF 1 ton crane

http://www.harborfreight.com/shop-crane-1-ton-capacity-foldable-69512.html

Thanks,
Allen

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:34:13 -0700

> Does anyone have experience with the HF 1 ton crane

Why not pony up the extra $40 and get the two ton version?  It has another
7" or so of reach (on the 1/2 ton setting).

I have the non-folding 2-ton variant (which they apparently no longer carry)
and it's worked well for me for about 10 years now.  Only caveat is that the
bolts supplied as pivots for the hydraulic cylinder were too soft, and had
to be replaced.  Since I disassemble it for storage and transport, I used
common trailer hitch pins, which seem to work fine.

Worth noting, perhaps, that your front bumper will be down low but the
fulcrum is way up high.  It won't matter if the fulcrum is over the front
bumper.

-- Randall

---

From: Steven Benford Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:55:55 -0700 (PDT)

I have Uncle Jacks hoist plans if you want to build your own.B  

Sent from
Yahoo! Mail on Android