Subject: [TR] TR3A Fuel Gauge Wiring

From: Thomas Beaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:09:39 -0400 (EDT)

Trying to help a friend with his fuel gauge wiring. Ground up restoration. New
harness from one of the major vendors purchased many years ago.
?
Car - TR3A commission 577XX
One?green and black wire which goes to fuel tank sender and attaches to the
gauge.
One?lighter green wire that goes to the fuse block and attaches to the?gauge.
Coming from this lighter green wire and the eyelet which goes to the fuel
gauge is another same color green wire?which is about 5" long.
?
Where does the 5" wire?connect to? There is no electrical connection at the
end. Just cut off.
?
Thanks
Tom Beaver
?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:04:47 -0700

> I just re-read your post. If the green wire to the gauge 
> splits off to a second wire, that is a fused 12 volt supply 
> and probably is where you would power the heater switch from.

In fact, I believe that is where the factory connected the heater on later
cars with the self-parking wiper motor.  The workshop manual talks about
connecting it to the wiper switch, but that would only work on early cars
without the self-park feature.

I don't believe the factory used a ground wire for the fuel gauge, but it is
a very worthwhile addition IMO.  Just a short jumper, with a ring terminal
to fit over the mounting post for the gauge, and the other end added to the
ground tie point on the back of the instrument panel right next to the
gauge.

-- Randall