Subject: Re: [TR] Flushing Brake System

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:21:53 -0500

Just blow it out and flush the DOT5 through, no biggie.  Be careful blowing
the old DOT3, don't let it get on any painted surfaces.

Bill
Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:47 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Flushing Brake System

     What does one use to flush out the brake hydraulic system when
converting over to Dot 5? I think that they say "methylated spirits" or
something like that. What does that mean in American English? Does lacquer
thinner work or does that eat up the plastic parts? I may just blow it out
and then flush the Dot 5 through.
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:37:21 -0700

Bill -

I just did a British car and used the same method as I did on my 2 TRs --
sucked as much of the old juice out of the reservoirs as I could, then
filled them with DOT5.  Let it sit awhile (overnight was what I did) then
bled everywhere as usual until the fluid coming out was purple.

My TRs got this treatment 12 years ago and have those brakes have never
giving me any trouble.

Insert the usual disclaimer here -- YMMV, for information only, comments
are not the views of the producers or Sony International, professional
driver on a closed course - do not attempt, etc.

Geo

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM, William Brewer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> converting
> over to Dot 5? I think that they say "methylated spirits" or something like
> that. What does that mean in American English? Does lacquer thinner work or
> does that eat up the plastic parts? I may just blow it out and then flush
> the
> Dot 5 through.
>      TIA,
>
>      Bill in Tehachapi
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 07:58:56 -0700

On 8/29/13 1:46 PM, William Brewer wrote:
>       What does one use to flush out the brake hydraulic system when converting
> does that eat up the plastic parts? I may just blow it out and then flush the
> Dot 5 through.
>
Just regular rubbing alcohol would do the job.  You should replace all 
the rubber in the system as well.  new flex hoses & new cylinder 
pistons.  DOT4 and DOT 5 both affect the properties of the rubber but in 
different ways.  You can end up with a seal leak if they have had long 
term exposure to both types of fluid.

TeriAnn