Subject: [TR] A type overdrive shim and spring binding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:10:48 +0000 (UTC)

List, 

While we're on the subject, TRF lists a "washer, spring packing, to increase pressure", Triumph part no. 513900, in their blue TR6 catalog. It measures .130" thickness. 

The same catalog list two pressure springs, one for early TR6, the other for gearboxes after CD15651. Any idea what that was about? 

Ed Woods 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 10:25:29 -0400 (EDT)

This is for the A-type.  The spring serves two purposes.  The first is to
store energy to engage the overdrive when the solenoid is energized.  The
other is to set the pressure relief valve pressure.  As the pump pumps oil
into the reservoir the piston moves out compressing the spring.  When the
spring compresses enough the piston moves far enough to expose ports that will
dump excess oil back into the sump.  Using a stiffer spring means more
pressure is required to expose the ports and system pressure will be higher.
Fitting shims (washers) behind the spring will do the same thing.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: fogbro1 <[email-masked]>

List,

While we're on the subject, TRF lists a "washer, spring packing, to increase
pressure", Triumph part no. 513900, in their blue TR6 catalog. It measures
.130"
thickness.

The same catalog list two pressure springs, one for early TR6, the other for
gearboxes after CD15651. Any idea what that was about?

Ed Woods

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 15:09:15 +0000 (UTC)

My point being that at least .130" of shimming is O.K. for the small spring
accumulator used on the TR6. At least, the factory said it was.

Ed

----- Original Message -----

From: "Dave Massey" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:25:29 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] A type overdrive shim and spring binding

This is for the A-type.B  The spring serves two purposes.B  The first is to
store energy to engage the overdrive when the solenoid is energized.B  The
other is to set the pressure relief valve pressure.B  As the pump pumps oil
into the reservoir the piston moves out compressing the spring.B  When the
spring compresses enough the piston moves far enough to expose ports that will
dump excess oil back into the sump.B  Using a stiffer spring means more
pressure is required to expose the ports and system pressure will be higher.B 
Fitting shims (washers) behind the spring will do the same thing.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----

List,

Ed Woods
Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----

List,

Ed Woods

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 15:11:08 +0000 (UTC)

Dave,

B 

Ed

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:58:02 -0700

> My point being that at least .130" of shimming is O.K. for 
> the small spring accumulator used on the TR6. At least, the 
> factory said it was.

Makes sense to me.  I haven't tried to measure, but the main spring for the
small accumulator looks to have a lot more travel than the large accumulator
one does.  The spring has to exert a lot more force with the large
accumulator, and is wound with correspondingly heavier wire, leaving less
room between the coils.  And I think .130" of shim is OK even for the large
accumulator.

But for sure I am going to double-check, next time I start installing shims.

-- Randall