Subject: Re: [TR] Pushrods tr4 engine won't go back down.

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:27:52 -0500

Jaap,

The vertical travel of the pushrods is determined by the position of its lobe
on the camshaft.
Each rod "stands" inside of a tappet, which rests on the camshaft.
As the camshaft rotates, driven by the timing chain from the crankshaft, the
tappet/rod unit move up and down.

My guess for the difference is that:

1. Maybe you rotated the camshaft since you removed the rods, and it is in the
high position now
2. The tappet is still in the hole, and is maybe "stuck" in a higher position,
resisting the rod

Best of luck.

On Aug 4, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Jaap Dekker wrote:

> Hello Listers,
>
> As a faithful lurker living in Holland this list has taught me many things
> about Triumph Trbs of which I have put some to good use.
> I have started to take the head off the engine of my Tr3 in order to have
the
> valve guides replaced, as the oil consumption has become rather high. Itbs
a
> TR4 high port engine.
> As I am not an experienced mechanic this is a major job for me and I feel
> somewhat unsure. I removed the manifolds and everything else what is in the
> way and have taken off the rocker assembly.
> I thought I was well prepared and had done my homework, but I ran into this
> problem right away.
> I got a fright when I lifted a pushrod out and it would only go back down
> again partly.
> The same with the second pushrod. Am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
> Jaap Dekker.
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 09:34:47 -0500

Probably when you are pulling the pushrod out, it's still "stuck" to 
the lifter / tappet and has pulled the tappet out of its bore.  Since 
you're taking off the head, that's not a big deal - if you weren't 
removing the head, they are a pain to get back in their bores.

The oil in the tappet creates some "suction" between the pushrod and 
the tappet.  You can try twirling the pushrod or pulling it up only 
about a half inch (a centimeter) and then pushing back down until it 
feels free of the tappet - it should pull out quite easily then.

You'll do fine - we'll be happy to help walk you through the process.

Cheers, Tony Drews

At 08:51 AM 8/4/2013, Jaap Dekker wrote:
>I have started to take the head off the engine of my Tr3 in order to have  the
>valve guides replaced, as the oil consumption has become rather high. Itbs a
>TR4 high port engine.
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:37:36 -0400 (EDT)

I had this happen once.  The problem is the oil on the lifter/pushrod
interface will create enough suction to lift lift the lifter along with the
pushrod to the point where the lifter comes out of its hole in the block.  If
you get lucky you can manipulate the lifter and get it to fall back into the
hole.  But since you are going to pull the head anyway you can address the
issue directly at that time so don't worry about it.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaap Dekker <[email-masked]>

Hello Listers,

Regards,
Jaap Dekker.