Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Amp Gauge

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

Stays on what?  The gauge should stay at the center of the dial unless the
battery is being either charged or discharged.  If it is staying in the
discharged mode can you effect the reading by switching on the lights?  Is the
wiring stock or has it been "modified?"

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>

Could someone remind me of the function of the amp gauge?  Mine stays on
whenever the key is on.  ISTR that it should only be on when the system is
either charging or discharging but not sure.   If mine is not functioning
correctly  - what is the likely reason?  Do I have the wires attached to the
wrong terminal?  I know I could just try it, but would rather not play 'what
if'.

Thanks

Carl

1960 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:47:47 -0400

I'm not sure what you refer to as "on" but it sounds as if you gauge is
working correctly. When the key is turned on, the ignition coil and any
accessories left on wil register as a discharge because power is only
provided by the battery. After the engine has started, the generator will
supply the power and any excess curent will recharge the battery and show
as a charge on the amp gauge. When the battery is sufficiently charged,
the amp gauge will be near zero.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

>  <http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/> http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/
>
> Tampa, FL
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 11:09:22 -0400

I'm sorry - it was too early this morning....

What I mean is that the indicator light stays on.   The battery is fully
charged.   With the car running and nothing causing a discharge, the light
stays on and the amp gauge is at 0.   

Carl

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Triumph Mail List
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Amp Gauge

I'm not sure what you refer to as "on" but it sounds as if you gauge is
working correctly. When the key is turned on, the ignition coil and any
accessories left on wil register as a discharge because power is only
provided by the battery. After the engine has started, the generator will
supply the power and any excess curent will recharge the battery and show as
a charge on the amp gauge. When the battery is sufficiently charged, the amp
gauge will be near zero.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> Could someone remind me of the function of the amp gauge /indicator
light/?  Mine stays 
> on whenever the key is on.  ISTR that it should only be on when the system
is
> correctly  - what is the likely reason?  Do I have the wires attached 
> to the wrong terminal?  I know I could just try it, but would rather 
> not play 'what if'.
>
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> Carl
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 11:11:58 -0400

Generator or altenator?

> as