Subject: Re: [TR] Mystery S/N or VIN

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:28:10 -0400

I have seen those STC tags on cars at shows. Mine is definitely unlike those.
It is closer in appearance to the body number plate but it is not the body
number plate as that also exists and is more closely aligned with the
commission number plate. Someone mentioned a chassis tag. I have seen numbers
stamped on Commission Plates, Body Number Plates, engines, gearboxes and diffs
but I have never seen a tag or stamping on a chassis. The Bentley manual (and
others) show the various plates and stampings but do not show a plate similar
to this or a chassis plate/stamp. Were there numbers on the chassis?

Keith Stewart
[email-masked]

On 2013-08-23, at 7:20 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> ---- Don Hiscock <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Generally similar tags have been seen on CA cars that were carried over
>> from one year's inventory to the next (per John Warfield).  The formatting
>> was completely different though -- those tags had something like ST-63 or
>> similar.
>
> FWIW, here's a shot of an STC tag.  I've seen several others, they weren't
always the same color but the size, shape and script was always the same.
> http://tinyurl.com/2awrm8l
> (Sorry for the poor photo, that was my first digital camera and it didn't
have macro mode or even 1/2 megapixel resolution.)
>
> Keith's tag seems to be something different.
>
> Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:41:00 -0700

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Keith Stewart
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> ... Someone mentioned a chassis tag. I have seen numbers
> but I have never seen a tag or stamping on a chassis.

Possibly what some call a chassis tag is what others may call a body tag.
On a TR4:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR4/ChassisTag2.jpg

Geo

---

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:17:56 -0400

and that is what I have on this car (commission number 1218LO and body
number 1444CT). Those two are within a reasonable spread of one another. The
mystery plate, 411CT, is not consistent with that number range.

Keith Stewart

On 2013-08-24, at 1:41 PM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>

---

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:26:38 -0400

My first thoughts were trim and colour but there is no alignment there either
- Wedgwood Blue and Black interior with white top. The Commission Number
plates that showed paint and trim colours came much later. I also have
CT6716LO which is a 62 and it does not have this plate.

Keith Stewart

On 2013-08-24, at 5:38 PM, Michael Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 8/24/2013 3:17 PM, Keith Stewart wrote:
> I'm wondering if this was something the factory added for West Coast Sales
to indicate something peculiar to their operation.  The CT is clear enough, so
perhaps the 411 indicated exterior and interior colors, or it could be a
sequential number indicating the running total of that model delivered to West
Coast (West Coast Sales, for a number of years, had some separate arrangements
with the factory from other distributors--they even produced their own
technical bulletins).  I'm pretty sure my TR4 (CT2334L) was original when I
bought it used, and it did not have such a tag, and it came through the
distributor in New Jersey.
>
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
>
>
> Michael Porter
> Roswell, NM
>
>
> Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....