Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 engine hoist

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:45:09 -0700

Get the bigger one - much more flexible and not such a huge added cost.  It
folds up and takes up about 8 square feet of garage space.

I've had mine for 10 years and it has seen heavy use from me, friends and
club members.

1001 uses and still counting - moving pallets, putting cars chassis on
trailers, pulling stumps, gantry crane in back of pickup truck, you name it.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:55:35 -0700

A local club member has a great (but big) hoist.  His policy:  he will lend
it to club members but they have to keep it until he tells them to return
it (or deliver it elsewhere).  Good system.

Geo

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Jonas Payne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 12:13:33 -0500

I briefly thought about digging my hoist out and measuring - I can 
probably do that Sunday if you still need a measurement.  But, I can 
tell you that you'll need the hook near the rear of the head for 
portions of the lift.  You'll need a device to move the pivot point 
(forget what they are called) to be able to change the center of 
gravity and pivot the engine / tranny assembly under the hook.

My hoist is an el-cheapo 2 ton unit, and I have to use full boom 
extension and that seems like it's barely long enough but there is at 
least an inch or three between hoist and front valance - and my race 
car doesn't have a front bumper.

There are some shots of the removal process here
http://www.tonydrews.com/2008-9Rebuild/2008-9_Rebuild.htm
I don't have a good shot showing the actual clearance between the 
hoist and the front of the car though (angle is wrong)

Tony Drews

At 11:06 AM 8/9/2013, Allen Hess wrote:
>I am getting ready to pull the engine and trans/OD from my TR4. I may
>be able to borrow a crane/hoist from a garage, but I have been looking
>at the Harbor Freight 1 ton which I can get for $99 with a coupon!
>However, (you saw this coming) the maximum extension of the boom is
>claimed to be 50" but that is the total boom length. The actual
>distance from the fulcrum to the hook is about 38" and that is 500
>lbs. From the center of the valve cover to the front bumper is 36".
>The engine is stripped except for the head and that could come off
>too. So the ability of this lift to do the job seems iffy.
>
>Does anyone have experience with the HF 1 ton crane
>
>http://www.harborfreight.com/shop-crane-1-ton-capacity-foldable-69512.html
>
>Thanks,
>Allen
>
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 14:13:14 -0400

No need to measure--the 2nd picture in the 3rd row illustrates my  
concern about boom length exactly. I think the shorter boom length of  
the one ton could be a problem. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Allen
On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Tony Drews wrote:

> extension and that seems like it's barely long enough but there is  
> at least an inch or three between hoist and front valance - and my  
> race car doesn't have a front bumper.
>

---

From: "Paul Willoughby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 09:03:22 -0700

I went a different route.  I got rid of my bulky crane/hoist and bought a 
harbor freight 800 lb electric hoist/wench for $69 (on sale).  I am lucky 
enough to have a twelve inch exposed beam in my garage for mounting.  I 
haven't pulled a TR engine, but it has worked great on Ford V8's.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/TR3Paul/media/HoistInstalledCloseup_zps369922c3.jpg.html

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/TR3Paul/media/HoistInstalled4_zps0fdbe18d.jpg.html

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Allen Hess" <[email-masked]>
To: ""triumphs list"" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 9:06 AM
Subject: [TR] TR4 engine hoist

Thanks,
Allen

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6569 - Release Date: 08/11/13

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of HoistInstalledCloseup.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of HoistInstalled4.JPG]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 09:20:37 -0700

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Paul Willoughby <[email-masked]>wrote:

> ...I haven't pulled a TR engine, but it has worked great on Ford V8's.

Though, as I recall, your 'TR' engine *is* a V8!

Geo

---

From: "Paul Willoughby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 09:32:11 -0700

Guilty as charged.  ha ha
For the record, I hereby amend my testimony to:
 "It has worked great to install a Ford V8 into a TR3 - multiple times!"

----- Original Message -----
From: Geo Hahn
To: Paul Willoughby
Cc: triumphs list
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 engine hoist

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Paul Willoughby <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Though, as I recall, your 'TR' engine is a V8!

Geo

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:57:52 -0500

I'm just going to add here - rather than chains, tie down straps work really 
well in hoisting an engine.  don't scratch, are infinitely adjustable, and 
store in a much smaller space.  just be sure to get your weight capacity 
right.