Subject: [TR] Fwd: External Oiler to Head

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:43:36 -0400 (EDT)

I just rebuilt a 1973 Spitfire 1500 engine that had spun a rod bearing (#3, of
course).  An external oiler line had been connected to the cylinder head.
Since the bottom end apparently had too little oil supply (I know about 1500
cranks), the external line is suspect, in my mind.

I don't want to reinstall it on the fresh engine, thinking I'd rather have the
oil going where it will do the most good: the crankshaft.
Rockers are easy to replace by comparison.

Without getting into a big controversy, would the group agree?

George Haynes

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:00:37 -0400

George,

I have never been a fan of this setup. If there is not enough oil 
flowing up to the rockers then maybe it is time to rebuild the engine.

I have heard stories that this setup can lead to excessive oil consumption.

All 3 of my Triumph engines have been rebuilt within the last 5 years 
and I have no problem with oil flow to the rockers.

Once you start up your fresh Spit engine, you should get plenty of oil 
for the rockers. If not then something is wrong.

Band aids are good for small cuts and are temporary in application.

Bob

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:19:11 +0100 (BST)

George, I think opinion on these things is divided on this list but in my
experience in the majority of cases, the 'unknowing' fit this external feed
because they want to ensure an adequate supply of lube to the rockers. What
many never do is try to work out why the oil isn't getting where it should.
For normal road use and assuming your camshaft isn't worn into oblivion (and
therefore not pumping oil up to where it's needed) the most likely reason for
a restricted supply is dirt in the rocker shaft, dirt in the drillings of the
rocker pedestals and dirt in the outlets on the shaft to the rockers
themselves. David Ealey who designed the 4 and 6 cylinder engines adamantly
maintained an external feed was a waste of time and money as all the rockers
need (for normal road use) is a steady trickle. You'll find an hour or two of
stripping the rockers from the shaft, some de-greasing fluid and a thin rod of
welding wire as a sort of 'push' or 'pull' through and some compressed air is
all you need to ensure a satisfactory flow. 
If you do this, then run the
engine on idle for five minutes or so with the valve cover off and watch oil
being flicked on to panelwork and around the engine itself, you'll be assured
the system is working as designed.

John

From: George Haynes
<[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] 
>Sent: Monday, 26 August
2013, 22:43
>Subject: [TR] Fwd: External Oiler to Head
>
>
>I just rebuilt a
1973 Spitfire 1500 engine that had spun a rod bearing (#3, of
>course).  An
external oiler line had been connected to the cylinder head.
>Since the bottom
end apparently had too little oil supply (I know about 1500
>cranks), the
external line is suspect, in my mind.
>
>
>I don't want to reinstall it on the
fresh engine, thinking I'd rather have the
>George
Haynes
>Donate:
>Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]