Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A REAR HUB REMOVAL

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 05:40:43 -0700

I haven't used his service but I think Macy's
Garage<http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/services.htm>does hub
separations.

Yes, a bother and time-consuming to ship them off for this but it can be a
difficult task w/o the experience and specialized equipment.

Geo

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Thomas Geoghan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Seeking advice on removal of rear hub. Made a tool from splined wire wheel
> holder but still won't budge. Hate to try Hub buster for fear of damage to
> axel. Hub is damaged now by use of three pronged remover.
> Kenny 01
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:59:34 -0700

50 ton press and an oxy-acetylene torch.

 Have had to do it twice now - it goes off like a gun, so make sure you have
something soft under it to catch it.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

---

From: Gene and Barb Wellenstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:05:02 -0500

I am the guilty party who fabricated the homemade tool Randall has 
referenced.  I neglected to put any contact information in the write-up.

If anyone would like their hubs separated I am glad to do it for the 
cost of shipping the axle/hubs back to the owner. I won't rebuild the 
assembly but will do the separation.  The tool works very well and I 
can usually send the separated assembly back to the owner the day 
after I receive the parts so this minimizes downtime.

The biggest problem I encounter is that many hubs are somewhat bent 
when received so I now throw the assembly in a lathe to check hub 
runout before separating and let the owner know the findings before 
doing any work.

With this tool the hub is supported on the front and rear face so 
there is no "spring" in the assembly  when released therefore there 
is no violent separation. It is hard to tell when the two pieces have 
parted ways!!

The tool was interesting to design and time consuming to fabricate 
but I suspect I am almost as stubborn as Randall (in that way).

Gene Wellenstein
Kewaunee,  WI

At 10:27 AM 8/17/2013, Randall wrote:
> > Seeking advice on removal of rear hub. Made a tool from
> > splined wire wheel holder but still won't budge. Hate to try
> > Hub buster for fear of damage to axel. Hub is damaged now by
> > use of three pronged remover.
>
>This homemade tool looks like it would work well, if you can find the
>materials:
>http://tinyurl.com/mu6mcpj