Subject: Re: [TR] Installing a windshield in my TR4A (more information)

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:36:06 -0400

On 8/24/2013 8:44 AM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> I just came across a really informative Youtube video on installing
> windshields;
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7Prioj9Xo
>
> I was planning on doing it completely differently, installing the gasket in
> the windshield frame first.. Need to find some of that 3M 8509 sealer..

I've done dozens of Volkswagen windows, which are similar to Triumphs. 
Never done a Mustang, and so here's my comments, for what they're worth...

1.  I never used a sealer, never had a leak - when the frame and glass 
are clean and intact, and the gasket is of good quality.

2.  I used a rope of somewhat smaller diameter than his - maybe 3/16" or 
1/4" nylon.

3.  Lubricate the gasket with diluted dish soap.  Doesn't take much, 
just make it a little slippery.

4.  I always cross or lap the rope at the bottom, so that you pull the 
first end /past/ the second when you start.  This ensures that you get 
the whole gasket lip over with the rope.

5.  He does the "slapping" just right - flat of the hand, not a fist.

6.  I used a short cotter pin puller with a dull tip to fix any of the 
lip that didn't make it all the way over.  Then push the gasket into 
place, just like you saw him do.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 19:50:40 -0700

How about the windshield frame to body gasket. Any sealer Needed?
Johnnie

> > I was planning on doing it completely differently, installing the
> > gasket in the windshield frame first.. Need to find some of that 3M
> 8509 sealer..
> 
> 2.  I used a rope of somewhat smaller diameter than his - maybe 3/16"
> or 1/4" nylon.
>

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 08:29:57 -0400 (EDT)

I had to resort to Dum Dum to stop a leak at that point on my TR6.  In theory,
if the rubber is nice and compressible and if you can get enough compression
you shouldn't need sealer but in the real world...

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: John & Pat Donnelly <[email-masked]>