Subject: [TR] TR3 Tonneau Cover

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:19:49 -0400 (EDT)

So, I bought this tonneau cover for the TR3 and no matter how I try to stretch
it out it comes up a good half inch too short.  I see that there are two
models listed in the Moss catalog and perhaps I got the wrong one.  Does
anyone know the difference between the two?

TIA

Dave Massey

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:23:43 -0700

> So, I bought this tonneau cover for the TR3 and no matter how 
> I try to stretch it out it comes up a good half inch too 
> short. 

That has been pretty much my experience as well, with covers from both Moss
& TRF.  Generally I can just barely stretch them enough when they are new,
but then the vinyl shrinks with exposure until it literally rips the zipper
apart, or bends the studs.  It's not clear to me whether the problem is that
the patterns used have shrunk (or eroded) over the years, or whether there
was really that much variation in the cars; but I suspect that both are
true.

I also believe at this point that there were at least 5 and maybe 6
distinctly different patterns for tonneau covers.  If you check the TRF
"Glove Box Companion", it was a write-up of 4 variations, but none of them
seemed to match TS39781LO or my current TS13571L.  Amusingly, the Moss
website has a photo of a cover that does not properly fit the car it is
installed on (doesn't cover the front corner studs).

Also, Charles loaned me his custom-made tonneau cover for a test fitting;
and it was a full inch larger in both length and width than my car is!  The
doors were taken to bare metal during the second respray and there were no
signs of the holes having been relocated, so I believe the locations are
original to the car.  It was also the wrong pattern (as expected), but
Charles' late TR3A is clearly slightly bigger than my current late TR3 (and
previous early TR3A).

Here are some photos I took, if anyone is interested.  The little orange
squares mark the stud location under the cover.
http://tinyurl.com/k6ktcwh
(click on the little magnifying glass in the lower RH corner to zoom in for
a better view).

My conclusion is that the only way to get a proper tonneau fit is to make
one to fit the car (or have it made).  I approached one shop who did not
seem interested, so my current plan is to make one.  Won't be cheap
(especially since I bought the wife a new heavy-duty sewing machine as part
of the deal) but hopefully I'll wind up with something that actually fits,
and a pattern to ease the work the next time I need a new cover.  

-- Randall

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 19:48:13 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the advice.  I know a guy who knows a guy who makes a living
making boat covers and this would be right up his alley.  But time is short
and I doubt I could get that done by the time I leave for Triumphest.  I'm
also thinking that this may be more than a one man operation to get things
stretched and positioned properly so I think I will seek out professional help
(something my wife says I should have done years ago ;-) )

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]>
To: 'Dave Massey' <[email-masked]>; triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Tonneau Cover

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 07:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

Indeed.  And it seems you always want to put up the hood or tonneau when 
the weather is no longer sunny.

The top on my TR6 fits great!  The history on this top is that it was 
purchased by an acquaintance back in the mid 70's but before he could put it on 
his car got T-boned and totaled.  So he put it on the shelf.  20+ years later 
when I was redoing my TR6 he dug it out and gave it to me.  But the time it 
was installed on my car the stretch was gone.  Upholsterers like to set 
these things up nice and tight.  A saggy top looks like a sloppy installation.  
When you do that with a new top that means stretching it.  But after a few 
years and after the elastomers evaporate the top no longer stretches and, 
hence, no longer fits.

But when they are made too short to begin with...

Dave

In a message dated 8/18/2013 7:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> The only problem with fitting the hood or tonneau in the sun is that they 
> are a bastard to put on when it is cold and wet.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:05:51 -0400 (EDT)

I have two tonneaus for the TR6 and the both fit equally well.  That is to 
say they both don't fit worth a darn.  I'm tempted to sew on some cloth 
straps at the front for the grommets.  Then they might reach.

Tonneaus are a neat device but only if they actually fit.

Dave

In a message dated 8/18/2013 7:57:21 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> FWIW -- the situation isn't much better for TR4s and they are generally
> thought to have been built in much more standardized form.
> 
> My tonneau on the 4 required the LTDs be mounted right at the limit that
> the binding would allow -- the edge of the fitting actually tucks under 
> the
> binding front and rear.  Even then I had to make a modified plate for the
> front snaps to have any chance of affixing it in anything less than 1000
> heat &full sun.
> 
> Now it is beginning to tear from the strain.  Oh well.
> 
> I suspect that patterns were made from originals that had, themselves,
> already shrunk from the size Coventry produced.