Subject: [TR] TR6 and Miata Seats

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:29:36 -0700 (PDT)

I am considering put Miata seats in my 1974 TR6. They look more
comfortable and a lot faster & cheaper than re-doing the TR6 seats in tan
leather. Are there any year Miata seats that either fit or don't fit? Any
suggestions on which seats would work best? I see Miata seat mounting kits for
sale on Ebay, has anyone used them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251327809470?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m
1423.l2649

     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:49:20 -0400 MqTcOXom0L4AuZmCjHDoXrE4tKVSFWIgj1HWSsSgvTZuNfntsD 6ZZQXBEygM5txuGe1JWtXAAgjJ2lq8icgGyObO5VkIvugW7lGY 8V4T5z1MsLQr4ZtUP80w87PeEkP6lcxrrFZ65ejUJGdHhBUf4F l6iCH+WZ8KAZgdGDHxhFzWe5fKAkW/cAuH03hgOoRu6T6/nYI+ MF5hipqHtM/20mu3wnffeswmj612zyMItTfoB7KZg3xHgiUt4q D2xfSkNF7iRZ0RStGoEC+oUcfBE5PQ4pvAbgjJTHiZUu2w0lv1 hCzQoy+1XX6ANtvYJtwHPui+n1ziehDXGj9iT/BWD

Hi Bill.... a few observations/comments on Miata seats.... having had both 
rebuilt TR6 seats and Miata seats:

- I totally rebuilt & recovered my '75 TR6 seats and they were very 
comfortable but not as comfortable as Miata seats.
- The headrest of the later TR6 seats offers no head protection versus the 
integrated Miata headrest. Triumph should have stuck with the early seats 
that offered head/neck protection.... having been rear-ended I know the 
value of head/neck support.
- Some guys will tell you that they sit higher in a Miata seat but I bet 
they're comparing them to TR6 seats with bad foam and broken diaphragms. My 
TR6 seats had good foam and good diaphragms so I found that I sat at the 
same height.
- Miata seats offer the option of headrest speakers....... great sound that 
can be heard at "speed".
- The brackets on eBay are made by A.R.E.  or Joe and Drew 
Alexander.......... I've made my own, used A.R.E.'s and finally settled on 
the brackets made by Rick Patton 
(http://pattonmachine.com/Miata-Brackets.htm) Rick's brackets cost more but 
are simple to install and once installed remain in place. Then seat removal 
is a 4 bolt, 5 minute process. I highly recommend them.
- Mr. Mike (http://mrmikes.com/miatahome.htm) makes great seat covers in a 
variety of colors and styles for Miata seats....... NFI but a great guy to 
do business with.
- The last year you can buy is 1999. Anything after that will have a fit 
problem at the shoulder...... i.e. the bracket for the folding top will 
interfere with the seat and need to be modified.
- You should be able to find seats for +/- $150 or so.
- Go through my site (http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/MiataSeats1.htm) on 
buying/installing Miata seats and email me with any questions.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

-----Original Message----- 
From: William Brewer
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:29 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] TR6 and Miata Seats

suggestions on which seats would work best? I see Miata seat mounting kits 
for

     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]