Subject: [TR] Pushrods tr4 engine won't go back down.

From: "Jaap Dekker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 15:51:05 +0200

Hello Listers,

As a faithful lurker living in Holland this list has taught me many things
about Triumph Trbs of which I have put some to good use.
I have started to take the head off the engine of my Tr3 in order to have  the
valve guides replaced, as the oil consumption has become rather high. Itbs a
TR4 high port engine.
As I am not an experienced mechanic this is a major job for me and I feel
somewhat unsure. I removed the manifolds and everything else what is in the
way and have taken off the rocker assembly.
I thought I was well prepared and had done my homework, but I ran into this
problem right away.
I got a fright when I lifted a pushrod out and it would only go back down
again partly.
The same with the second pushrod. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Jaap Dekker.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:42:23 -0700

>  I had this happen once.  The problem is the oil on the 
> lifter/pushrod interface will create enough suction to lift 
> lift the lifter along with the pushrod to the point where the 
> lifter comes out of its hole in the block. 

Ditto; except I've had at least one try to do that, every time I've taken
the pushrods out.  My solution is to list just an inch or so then spin the
pushrod back and forth a few times with my fingers, until the weight of the
lifter drops off.

As noted, if you are pulling the head anyway, it's much easier to put the
lifters back with the head off.  Putting them back with the head in place is
like trying to thread a needle in the dark.

-- Randall