Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Lucas generator rebuild or not?

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 06:58:47 -0700

Dave --

Have you tested the generator itself?  The procedure is pretty straight
forward and is outlined in most manuals and certainly in the Lucas manual
which (as I recall) is somewhere online.

Just because " all looked ok, belt, wires, etc" I wouldn't assume the
problem is the generator -- or if it is, that the problem isn't something
simpler.

Geo

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:37 AM, davewillner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My red warning light came on yesterday afternoon, all looked ok, belt,
> wires,
> etc. so I need to do something with the generator. Its the car's original
> and
> I had it rebuilt back in 1985. Am I ok to have it rebuilt again or should I
> find a new one at this point, I do want to keep a generator on the car. I
> have
> a very good shop nearby that will rebuild it for 125.00. Thanks
>
> Dave Willner
> Stroudsburg PA
> 59 TR3A
> 70 MGB
> 70 BSA 441 VS
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:30:12 -0400 (EDT)

As Geo notes, it is worth thoroughly checking the entire system. It could be
the voltage regulator, it could be just generator brushes...or it could be the
generator.

Meanwhile, to me it's a no-brainer. You got 26 years out of it first time
around and another 28 years after the first rebuild; with any luck, this
rebuild should take you to 2043! :)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: davewillner <[email-masked]>

My red warning light came on yesterday afternoon, all looked ok, belt, wires,
etc. so I need to do something with the generator. Its the car's original and
I had it rebuilt back in 1985. Am I ok to have it rebuilt again or should I
find a new one at this point, I do want to keep a generator on the car. I
have
a very good shop nearby that will rebuild it for 125.00. Thanks