Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive Diagnosis

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:23:30 -0600

I had the same symptoms with my overdrive and suspected the solenoid  
first also.  When I ran a lead from the brown to the yellow/purple  
wire on the OD relay the solenoid clicked and pulled the actuator  
lever up just as it should. The relay (which amazingly enough  
conformed to my #1 rule of "Bud, it's the last thing you fixed that  
failed") was the problem. I put a new one in less than two years ago.

I believe Steve Yost and Randall Young pointed out that the relay  
could be bad (not putting out enough amperes because of burn contacts)  
even though it put out the correct voltage which basically wouldn't  
provide enough ummffff to the solenoid to pull it up but does provide  
enough to hold it if got pulled up. A new OD relay fixed the problem.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jun 30, 2013, at 9:32 PM, George Haynes wrote:

> The overdrive quit in my TR4A.  Topped up the transmission oil; no  
> joy.
>
> Investigating shows the solenoid is electrically energized but it  
> needs a little push to actuate.  Then the plunger remains engaged  
> until electrically disengaged.  I suspect the pull-in coil is shot  
> and only the holding coil is working.  I think I need a new  
> solenoid.  I removed it for bench testing which was inconclusive  
> because the solenoid isn't doing any work.  I'd like a second  
> opinion before I order a new one.
> Thanks for your thoughts,
> George Haynes
>
>
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive