Subject: [TR] TR4 Maybe an Armstrong Shock problem

From: "Will Daehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:13:27 -0400

The right rear of my TR4 is sagging to the right.

If I push on the back of the car, only the left side seems to have a nice
rebound bounce. The leaf springs and Armstrong shock play nicely together.
However,  the right hand side seems completely lifeless, and seems to be
sitting noticeably lower, firmly metal on metal.

Here is my trouble shooting efforts so far.  I jacked up the car, and held
the right rear of the car  up by the frame. Took the wheel off, and could
see all parts are present. During this time the axle and suspension hung
freely down.

I put the wheel back on, and lowered the car.

For about ten minutes my car was fine, and the rear bumper was level, and
the right hand side had a nice rebound bounce.

My euphoria dissipated as the car quickly returned to its sagging state.

What do you think is wrong?  Is it a bad Armstrong shock and can this be
fixed?

Will Daehler

63 TR4 HVDA

Powder Blue

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:58:44 +0000

---- Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Hi Will-
> 
> Others I'm sure will chime in, but I don't think it is a problem with the
> shock.  

I agree that it's unlikely to be the shock.  An easy test would be to disconnect the shock arm, then bounce it around again.

BTW, on a TR4, the rear axle and suspension should NOT "hang freely down".  Without the weight of the car on the spring, the axle should rest on the frame.

Could it be a TR4A?

--- Randall