Subject: [TR] Compression check: what does this mean?

From: "Ed Oot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:16:40 -0400

59 TR3A

Symptoms:

Suddenly started to run poorly at low RPM under load.

Blowing smoke from both the vent tube and exhaust

Procedure:

Reset valve clearance to 11 thousandths across the board

Static set the timing to 4 degrees BTDC

Warmed the engine 

Pulled all plugs

Dry checked and then wet checked with the following results:

1)      D 152     W 170

2)      D 152     W 165

3)      D 120     W 140

4)      D 155     W 180

Do I have a broken ring on #3?  Also noted that when I pulled the plugs
after warm up that the #3 was wet. Not sure best approach.  I'm quessing the
engine was last rebuilt around 1990, and has maybe as much as 50K miles.

Thanks in advance for advice

Ed

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 10:05:49 -0700

Well, for sure you have something wrong on #3.  With those results, it's
hard to say for certain just what; but the problem should become apparent
when you get the head off.  If there isn't anything obviously wrong with the
head (like oil caked on the back on the intake valve for #3, showing that
the oil was going past the valve stem) or obviously wrong with the #3
cylinder wall; then pull the #3 piston out and see what you find.

My guess is either broken ring, or scored cylinder wall.

However, 120 psi of compression should still let the engine run reasonably
well.  My guess is that the poor performance is mostly from the fouled plug.
So if you want to wait until after the driving season, just change the plug
(maybe to one step hotter to help avoid fouling again) and go on.

-- Randall

---

From: "Ed Oot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:56:18 -0400

Thanks Randall and Jonmac.

What would be the next hotter plug to either the Champion L87YC or NGK
BP6HS?   Thought I would give that a try and see how comfortable I am
driving the car that way.  Took it out over the weekend and ran it up pretty
good then checked the plugs.  3 was a bit damp and 4, if anything, was a bit
on the lean side.

Thanks
Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:06 PM
To: 'Ed Oot'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Compression check: what does this mean?

-- Randall