Subject: [TR] TR3 restrictor valve - question

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 20:13:33 -0400

Rebuilding a TR3a and not sure about the state of the brake line restrictor
valve (part of the 3-way union on the front right frame).  Questions - any
particular way of assessing whether it is functional on the bench, and what
are the consequences of a dysfunctional valve?  Thanks for any help.

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:04:16 -0700

> Rebuilding a TR3a and not sure about the state of the brake 
> line restrictor valve (part of the 3-way union on the front 
> right frame).  Questions - any particular way of assessing 
> whether it is functional on the bench, and what are the 
> consequences of a dysfunctional valve?  Thanks for any help.

What I did was to disassemble it for cleaning, and then reassemble without
the internal plunger.  Removed all worries about it not working! <G>

The only downside is that if you drive the car really hard (like drifting on
stock tires), then the brake pedal may be low on the next application.
Somewhat disconcerting if you aren't expecting it, but not too serious
otherwise.

If the low pedal bugs you, a better solution than the valve is uncle Jack's
spindle spacer kit (available through TRF and maybe ARE).  But I've been
driving without either for so long that I'm just used to it.

The purpose of the valve is to hold a small amount of pressure in the
braking system all the time, around 7 psi if I recall correctly.  You could
probably test it on the bench by attaching a line to the output, filling
with brake fluid and then applying 5 psi or so of air pressure.

But 7 psi is enough to make the front brakes drag noticeably, which always
bugged me until I disabled the valve.

-- Randall