Subject: [TR] results.....water pump pulley alignment

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:16:03 -0700 (PDT)

I probably shouldn't admit to screw-ups but that's how we learn!  My original
question to the list was concerning  a mis-aligned water pump pulley.  I
noticed the water pump pulley was at least half inch farther forward than it
should be.  This is a newly restored tr-3 with less than 25-30 miles on it.

I
removed the pump and the pulley immediately fell off.  The nut that was
supposed to hold the pulley on was on the shaft but inside the pulley!  I
guess I had installed the water pump then slipped the pulley over the
shaft..........as a "test fit" and later managed to install the generator,
belt and tighten everything up without noticing.  I found I also had not
completely tightened the bottom generator mounting bolts.  

During the 25-30
miles I've driven the car since restoration the pulley had apparently been
turning partially on the shaft and partially on the snout of the water pump. 
I've also found various other nuts and bolts needing tightening.  Needless to
say I have the pulley appropriately mounted and am double checking other areas
specifically front suspension.

Just an FYI for others contemplating a
restoration.  Other stories out there? LOL

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive