Subject: [TR] Overdrive OK!

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 20:54:08 -0400 (EDT)

To The List, especially: Bud, Randall and Greg:

My new overdrive solenoid arrived today and it solved the non-engagement
problem.  It now engages a bit slower than did the old one (when it worked)
but never misses a beat.  A great car back to 100% again.  Thank you all!

George
CTC 55423LO
1965 TR4A, IRS, Surrey top, RATCO Frame

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:52:02 -0700

> It now engages a bit slower than did 
> the old one (when it worked) but never misses a beat.

Be sure to check how far the plunger can drop when not engaged.  If it drops
too far, the solenoid may have a hard time picking it up (which might be
related to your slower engagement, and possibly even related to why the old
solenoid failed).  Early units had an adjustment there (which sometimes
works loose and falls out); later units used a rubber bumper (that is
frequently missing).  

-- Randall