Subject: [TR] TR2/3 rear cross-member repair

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:24:07 -0400

Hello List:
A good friend has recently become a TR3 owner and while looking over the 
car a bit more carefully, he noticed that the rear cross-member that 
supports the rear spring mount has rusted pretty badly and is actually 
close to fracturing.
I recall seeing a repair technique somewhere that involved pressing or 
pounding a round tube into the cross-member, then welding to complete 
the repair and further strengthen the tube,
Anyone recall the source of the repair? Are we on the right track with 
this one? The I.D. of the rear member is approx. 1 1/16". Would a 1" 
tube work? Pretty hard to find stock tubing that would be a tighter fit.
Thanks for any advice on this one.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 18:41:10 -0500

Yes, I did something similar to that with my TR3B.  I went to a muffler shop
and got a short length from their scrap bin.  But I used it to replace the
outrigger, not re-enforce it.  I think I have also heard of people using
galvanized plumbing pipe from the local home improvement center to go inside
of an existing tube as you suggest.

Also, I fabricated the little pedestal at the end pretty easily as opposed
to paying $70ea from one of our fav supply houses.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Angelo Graham
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR2/3 rear cross-member repair

Hello List:
A good friend has recently become a TR3 owner and while looking over the car
a bit more carefully, he noticed that the rear cross-member that supports
the rear spring mount has rusted pretty badly and is actually close to
fracturing.
I recall seeing a repair technique somewhere that involved pressing or
pounding a round tube into the cross-member, then welding to complete the
repair and further strengthen the tube, Anyone recall the source of the
repair? Are we on the right track with this one? The I.D. of the rear member
is approx. 1 1/16". Would a 1" 
tube work? Pretty hard to find stock tubing that would be a tighter fit.
Thanks for any advice on this one.
Angelo Graham

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]