Subject: [TR] vibration

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:18:15 -0700 (PDT)

One thing I noticed during first drives after restoration in my tr-3 is a
significant vibration at highway speed.  I've tried to isolate by coasting out
of gear and engine turned off and it still happens, so I'm pretty sure its
driveshaft.  Am in the process of removinghe drive shaft in order to check
that out.

I've always been curious about a weight that is attached to the
tail shaft of my transmission.  The weight is attached by a steel band around
the tranny tailshaft.  The weight itself is round with a hole through the
middle that keeps it attached.  If I remember right the bolt holding the
weight was loose when I removed it so the weight could spin.  When I
re-attached it I tightened it down tight so it can't move.

My question is.  
Could this weight on the tail shaft be part of my vibration problem?  Could I
simply remove it and go without it?  (of the several other trannys I've seen
I've never seen this weight so I wonder if it is necessary).  If the weight is
needed how is it attached?  Tight or loose?

Thanks

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive