Subject: Re: [TR] Insurance for TR3

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:05:55 -0400

I have three cars with American Collectors.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Carl TR
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Insurance for TR3

Before I get it registered I need to get insurance.  
 
Any 'watch out for' items for:
Hagerty
Classic Underwriters
Heacock
 
any others I should consider?
Thanks
C

Carl
1960 TR3A - TS81802LO
mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
Tampa, Florida

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:45:28 -0700

Carl --

I have Hagerty and am totally satisfied with them.  My only claim was a
windscreen but they were prompt and totally fair.

I previously had Condon & Skelly -- never had a claim there though I know
some who have and they were very well taken care of.

One factor for me was my umbrella policy with my everyday carrier... most
insurers do not want to write an umbrella if some of the cars are insured
elsewhere unless they have a close relationship with the other carrier.

Allstate has such a relationship with Hagerty.

Condon & Skelly had (and may still have) such a relationship with Met Life.

If you do need an umbrella and your carrier will not provide it with your
classic car insurance your can still get it from a third party -- just will
be an insurer you never heard of.  Your agent (or any decent agent) will
have access to such lines.

Hagerty limits your use -- definitely no commuting to work -- but the limit
is in how you use it rather than a miles figure and the restrictions are
not so strict that you cannot enjoy the car.

You can get a quote from their website (that way lets you play around with
some options and different valuations) and it should be exactly what the
final premium amount will be once you are accepted.  If, after using the
website, whether you get the coverage direct from Hagerty or thru an agent,
the amount will be the same.

The Hagerty site has a pretty good app for figuring the value of a
collector car based on specifics and condition.  Valuations are pretty
important in their business so they keep good data on that.

For all of my cars they have only required some photos be emailed to them
-- no appraisal was required.  They may have also wanted to see copies of
some paperwork such as the dec page on my other cars' coverage.  You do
have to have at least one other car per driver in the household (to assure
them no one will be using the collector car as their daily driver).

They readily agreed to the value I placed on the cars.  I have raised that
value a couple of times (usually once a year) with just a phone call.

Geo

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:27:39 -0400 (EDT)

Plenty of choices out there. IMO, the only things that (should) matter:

1. Determine whose "limitations" (where, when and how much you can drive it
each year) best fit your intentions.

2. Get "agreed" rather than "stated" value, i.e., you and the insurance
company decide what the car is worth in case the worst happens, and review
that periodically as values (hopefully) rise.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:30:05 -0400

On 7/17/2013 6:45 PM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> Hagerty limits your use -- definitely no commuting to work --

"Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a 
limited basis  e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours 
and limited pleasure driving."

Some days it's a pleasure to drive to work.  They don't seem to have a 
problem with that.

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:42:50 -0700

> Some days it's a pleasure to drive to work.  They don't seem to have a

Well their description of use is a bit vague...

"We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited
pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a
gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or
going to shows, you're covered."

...but if you have an accident at 7:30 am on a Tuesday in downtown
Metropolis, I think they'll be asking some pointed questions about where
you were going.

Geo

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:25:02 -0500

Honestly, mr agent, I had just tuned the carbs and was going for a test 
drive!

in your suit?