Subject: Re: [TR] Engine oil?

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:20:55 -0500

Oh boy, here we go again.  John, take notes cause you just opened the gate,
again.

I use Valvoline VR1 conventional 20-50w, it contains the needed levels of ZDDP
for our cars.  I have 5,500 miles on the rebuilt original motor now.   It is
classified as a racing oil but available at most local shops at a reasonable
price, even on sale occasionally.

The multi weights work better, remember they did not have them in 1954.

I have a tally of comments from the list somewhere, I'll try and find it and
send it to you.

All the best,
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2013, at 10:32 AM, John Gillis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have completed my first post rebuild 500 miles, quite happily, few bits
and
> pieces but generally a successful shake down of my TR2. I want to change
out
> the running-in oil. Is there a consensus on the best engine oil 10w/30,
20w/50
> or a straight monograde, should I choose a classic car oil or will a modern
> type do. I should avoid synthetics, right?
> Regards
> John
> 1954 TR2 (long door)
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:49:17 -0400

John,

I use Brad Penn 20/50 racing oil on all 3 of my Triumphs, 3, 4 and 6.

Bob

On 07/15/2013 11:32 AM, John Gillis wrote:
> I have completed my first post rebuild 500 miles, quite happily, few bits and
> pieces but generally a successful shake down of my TR2. I want to change out
> the running-in oil. Is there a consensus on the best engine oil 10w/30, 20w/50

---

From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:58:38 -0700

I agree with Randall, not sure how helpful the ZDDP additive stuff, but
there's a lot of good oils out there that I don't have to spend $10 a quart
on.
But, instead of asking which oil is best, maybe we should be asking which
oils we shouldn't use.           
Randall stated that Mobile 1 leaked like a sieve. Any others that worked
like crap?

Johnnie

> 
> I have completed my first post rebuild 500 miles, quite happily, few
> bits and pieces but generally a successful shake down of my TR2. I want
> to change out the running-in oil. Is there a consensus on the best
> engine oil 10w/30, 20w/50 or a straight monograde, should I choose a
> classic car oil or will a modern type do. I should avoid synthetics,
> right?
> Regards
> John
> 1954 TR2 (long door)

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:36:24 -0700

> there's a lot of good oils out there that I don't have to spend $10 a quart
I've been running 20-50 Castrol for decades. Then they changed the 
formulations to make catalytic converters last longer.  3 years ago the 
flat tappet cam in my Ford 302 engine went flat requiring replacement of 
both the cam & lifters.  2 years ago the cam in my TR3's engine got 
replaced because of severe pitting.  I only use oil with ZDDP any more.  
Like others I have switched to Valvoline VR1, except I'm running the 
synthetic stuff.

TeriAnn