Subject: [TR] rear studs

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:28:52 -0700 (PDT)

I had to do the same with my tr-3.  I found I could grind off the "peened'
area of each stud with an angle grinder.  It went faster than a dremel.  I
just ground them down as flat as possible.

Double nutting from the front was
more difficult.  It became almost impossible to unscrew in one attempt.  I
needed to unscrew maybe 3 initial turns.......then tighten back up again and
go back behind with the grinder and grind away the little "ridge" that
appeared.  Then proceed to unscrew with double nuts again another few turns
(untill it becomes to hard to turn) .............follow this with screwing
(tightening) in again...........grinding a small "ridge" from the
back.......and unscrewing again.  Repeat this untill the stud is free.

I'm
thinking the initial grind from the rear on the peened stud does not take all
the material away and unscrewing the stud pushes that material out.........
(and can be ground away).  If you attempt to grind only once and unscrew all
the way on first attempt, the material will bind in the threads and make it
very difficult to unscrew.

It takes LOTS of patience and strength.  I think
I ruined most of my wheel nuts using the double nut method but eventually did
get them off.  Good luck and if you need any more suggestions feel free to let
me know.

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive