Subject: Re: [TR] Build date question??

From: Ted Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 10:21:02 -0400

Hello list. With all the "build date" discussion, here is what really 
happened in the '60's at the dealer level. We were a BMC/Standard 
Triumph/Rootes dealer. Through 1967, at teh end of teh calendar year we 
were allowed to send back the CO (manufacturer's certificate of origin) 
to the appropriate mfg.  They would reissue an new CO shwoing the 
current calendar year.  Starting in 1968 with the advent of all the US 
laws on emissions, safety  and theft - think locking ignition w/dead 
bolt. VIN visible from outside the car, etc. - we could no longer do 
this.  But this is how "year of mfg" and year of car by title varied. 
Example, it's the first week of 1965. We send all gthe CCO's back to 
tghe appropriate mfg.  A bit later in the month, the '64 TR4 has become 
a '65. And if it was a real dog (color, equipment, interior) it was 
possible for the '64, now '65 to become a '66 12 months later. Ted

On 7/5/2013 9:57 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Randall,
>   
> That's the best example of how crazy titling a Triumph can be!
>   
> It beats my TR6 which was built on July 5, 1976, but not shipped to the USA
>   until December, 1976, and not sold until April, 1977.....amazing....how
> did Brit  Leyland make any money leaving products laying around the docks for
> so  long!!??  Geez, by the time the first owner bought the car, the seals
> had  already started to dry rot from nonuse.
>   
> I guess it was a good thing that Triumph wasn't building TR6s at that
> point or the DOT would have called it a 1977 TR7....that would have raised a few
>   eyebrows!
>   
> Chip
>   
>   
> In a message dated 7/4/2013 7:45:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
>
> Now  'funny' is the Sports 6 I used to have, which was built in 1963, but
> sold  new as a 1965 model.
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Ted Schumacher
[email-masked]
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
108 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Fax: 419.384.3272 (24 Hrs.)
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dean Tetterton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 10:35:27 -0400

Explains how my 60 TR3A is titled a 1962 in the state of Virginia. TS 69056 L

Dean

happened in the '60's at the dealer level. We were a BMC/Standard
Triumph/Rootes dealer. Through 1967, at teh end of teh calendar year we were
allowed to send back the CO (manufacturer's certificate of origin) to the
appropriate mfg.  They would reissue an new CO shwoing the current calendar
year.  Starting in 1968 with the advent of all the US laws on emissions,
safety  and theft - think locking ignition w/dead bolt. VIN visible from
outside the car, etc. - we could no longer do this.  But this is how "year of
mfg" and year of car by title varied. Example, it's the first week of 1965. We
send all gthe CCO's back to tghe appropriate mfg.  A bit later in the month,
the '64 TR4 has become a '65. And if it was a real dog (color, equipment,
interior) it was possible for the '64, now '65 to become a '66 12 months
later. Ted
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:58:54 -0400

That's what happened to my 62 TR4, except for the "real dog" part.  It was
titled a 64, but built early on 62.  When I purchased a few years ago and
brought to Florida from out of state, I had to show them the VIN and they
had an old book to look up the build year and they retitled it to a 1962.  
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
62 TR4
75 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ted Schumacher
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Build date question??

Hello list. With all the "build date" discussion, here is what really
happened in the '60's at the dealer level. We were a BMC/Standard
Triumph/Rootes dealer. Through 1967, at teh end of teh calendar year we were
allowed to send back the CO (manufacturer's certificate of origin) to the
appropriate mfg.  They would reissue an new CO shwoing the current calendar
year.  Starting in 1968 with the advent of all the US laws on emissions,
safety  and theft - think locking ignition w/dead bolt. VIN visible from
outside the car, etc. - we could no longer do this.  But this is how "year
of mfg" and year of car by title varied. 
Example, it's the first week of 1965. We send all gthe CCO's back to tghe
appropriate mfg.  A bit later in the month, the '64 TR4 has become a '65.
And if it was a real dog (color, equipment, interior) it was possible for
the '64, now '65 to become a '66 12 months later. Ted

On 7/5/2013 9:57 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>   until December, 1976, and not sold until April, 
> 1977.....amazing....how did Brit  Leyland make any money leaving 
> products laying around the docks for so  long!!??  Geez, by the time 
> the first owner bought the car, the seals had  already started to dry rot
from nonuse.
> Now  'funny' is the Sports 6 I used to have, which was built in 1963, 
> but sold  new as a 1965 model.
>

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]