Subject: Re: [TR] vibration

From: Doug Mathews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:38:27 -0400

Gary,

Have you ruled out tires out of balance or out of line?  even with the 
engine off, they'd still could be the issue.

Does it happen once you reach a  certain speed?  Also, have you 
downshifted once the vibration starts to see if its related to engine speed?

I you speed up once the vibration starts does it change?

just some thoughts.

Doug

p.s. I seem to remember some comments about a vibration damper which I 
think was described similar to weight on the tail shaft.

Take a look at this:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rahtr4/8thewholesetup.jpg

On 7/11/2013 9:18 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> One thing I noticed during first drives after restoration in my tr-3 is a
> significant vibration at highway speed.  I've tried to isolate by coasting out
> of gear and engine turned off and it still happens, so I'm pretty sure its
> driveshaft.  Am in the process of removinghe drive shaft in order to check
> that out.
>
> I've always been curious about a weight that is attached to the
> tail shaft of my transmission.  The weight is attached by a steel band around
> the tranny tailshaft.  The weight itself is round with a hole through the
> middle that keeps it attached.  If I remember right the bolt holding the
> weight was loose when I removed it so the weight could spin.  When I
> re-attached it I tightened it down tight so it can't move.
>
> My question is.
> Could this weight on the tail shaft be part of my vibration problem?  Could I
> simply remove it and go without it?  (of the several other trannys I've seen
> I've never seen this weight so I wonder if it is necessary).  If the weight is
> needed how is it attached?  Tight or loose?
>
> Thanks
>
> gary n.
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:47:32 -0500

vibration imho is usually a u joint, often the drive shaft.  twice I've 
suffered such, and both times its been the driveshaft

these people - http://www.inlandtruck.com/  have local offices in many 
cities.  I took it to them; the guy said it was "s" shaped, and then I got a 
15 minute dissertation on u joints!  was very pleased with the results and 
it wasn't expensive.

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 06:08:26 -0400

I also have used a fleet trucking supply company to do driveshaft work,
including balancing.

Wheels out of round, balanced incorrectly (wire wheels need special
attention) , alignment, are some other things that come to mind.

My car had a nasty shake that came on at 55 mph and stopped at 68....

I dont know what fixed it, but during the rebuild, i rebushed with new
trunnions , replaced 2 out of spec rims, and replaced the hula dancing
idler arm....

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]> >
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:17:55 -0500

The weight on the tranny is to help with gearshift vibration as I recall.

Others have had excellent suggestions.  One thing I'd like to throw 
in the mix is: "what is the frequency of the vibration?".  If it's a 
wheel out of balance or out of true it seems like you'd have a pretty 
low frequency vibration.  I just replaced a failed U-joint on my TR-4 
racer and that one was a pretty high frequency vibration - in my case 
the vibration quit when I was off the power.  The frequency of the 
vibration will depend on the RPM of the out of balance / out of true 
thing that is spinning.  Driveshaft spins faster than wheels do.

Not sure if that helps, but food for thought.

vroom, vroom
Tony Drews

At 08:18 PM 7/11/2013, Gary Nafziger wrote:
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 16:24:26 -0400

Silly thing to add, but when I rotated my tires recently I got a nasty
vibration in the front.

I like Tony's comment about relating gear selection to vibration level to
isolate the drive shaft as a culprit.