Subject: [TR] Build date question

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 07:41:04 -0400

Yesterday, I bought a 71 TR6, at least according to the title.

My friend  is puzzled by the build date.

The vin plate on the door says it  was built in Oct of 1970 and he's
puzzled by the vin CC54740 LO.

The title say CC54740 LO, the plate on the windshield says the same , but
the plate on the B post is just CC54740 L, no O; but the car has O/D.

Is it possible it came through this way, or did someone replace the plate
and leave off the O ??

It seems that CC54740 should have been built before October of 70.

Al

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 1971 tr6 003.jpg]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 08:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

Al,
 
According to "Dating Information" in one of Bill Piggott's Original Triumph 
 books I have, 1971 models started production with commission number 
CC58298L  some time in 1970.  That said, it's not uncommon to find cars built 
earlier  than the "official" factory model change date to be titled as the next 
year  model.
 
CC54740LO is close enough to CC58298L to be likely titled as a 1971  model. 
 What is puzzling is that you have a commission plate on the door  and the 
B post....the plates were fitted from the factory to the B post....I  don't 
have any reference of plates ever being fitted to a door.
 
One guess is that, at some point, body work/paint work was done and the  
shop technician replaced the plate to the door.  A bit later in time,  another 
person pointed out that the B post should have a plate and a repro plate  
(without the O) was stamped and put on the B post.
 
Regardless, it sounds like you have a legitimate deal.....just a simple  
mix-up in the placement of the plates.
 
If you want to be "period correct" you could remove the correct plate  from 
the door and replace the plate on the B post with it.  Use a couple of  
metal screws in the holes left by the door plate....only a concours judge  
would probably ever wonder what those two screws were for!
 
Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA 
1962 TR4  CT2052L  

 
In a message dated 7/4/2013 7:41:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Al

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg  which had a name of 
1971 tr6 003.jpg]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:32:53 -0400

Sorry,  I didn't mean to say door, the vin is on the B post and the
windshield.

oops,

Al

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
> Al,
>
> According to "Dating Information" in one of Bill Piggott's Original
> Triumph books I have, 1971 models started production with commission number
> CC58298L some time in 1970.  That said, it's not uncommon to find cars
> built earlier than the "official" factory model change date to be titled as
> the next year model.
>
> CC54740LO is close enough to CC58298L to be likely titled as a 1971
> model.  What is puzzling is that you have a commission plate on the door
> and the B post....the plates were fitted from the factory to the B
> post....I don't have any reference of plates ever being fitted to a door.
>
> shop technician replaced the plate to the door.  A bit later in time,
> another person pointed out that the B post should have a plate and a repro
> plate (without the O) was stamped and put on the B post.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: