Subject: [TR] Clutch Fork Pin

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:03:00 -0400

I have a new clutch fork and hardened pin from Moss.  How tight do I tighten
this pin into the fork?  Is there a torque setting?  Should any threads be
showing?  I didn't really want to have the cross shaft and fork drilled for
the bolt upgrade as I don't have a drill press and knowing me, I would ruin
it.  Aren't there upgraded hardened  pins grade 8 and shouldn't they work
fine?  

Thanks in advance,

Jim Henningsen

Ocala FL

62 TR4

75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 15:53:12 -0700

> I have a new clutch fork and hardened pin from Moss.  How 
> tight do I tighten this pin into the fork?

I pulled mine down pretty tight, maybe 25 ft-lb.  No spec that I can find.

> Aren't there upgraded hardened  pins grade 8 and 
> shouldn't they work fine? 

Probably OK, for as long as you're likely to drive it.  But I believe those
hardened pins are only "upgraded" compared to the junk that was being sold
before.  The original pins were very hard; my drill bit just skittered over
the surface and refused to bite.  But the original pin in TS39781LO lasted
over 40 years (and at least 200,000 miles), so that should be good enough.

-- Randall

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 21:19:06 +0000

---- Dave <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> and probably everyone but me knew that you should oil the drill bit 
> periodically

And "cutting oil" (got mine @ Home Depot) will help more than just whatever's in the oil can.  But anything (even baby oil) is better than nothing.

Randall