Subject: [TR] TR6 Ignition Switch

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:14:43 -0700

I have recently acquired a 71 TR6 that has been laid up for approximately 10
years.

Engine turns over by hand, so I'm ready to blip it with the starter to see
if it builds oil pressure before firing it up.

All electrical systems appear to be working properly, but when I turn the
key to "position 3", I am not getting any voltage to the starter solenoid,
so I suspect either a bad ignition switch or a broken "red and white wire".
Red and white wire has no continuity to ground, so if it is broken, it's
somewhere in the harness, as is isn't grounded between the ignition switch
and the terminal.

It would appear that removing the ignition switch is going to be a major
undertaking unless I'm missing something. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:31:06 -0400 (EDT)

Where are you trying to measure continuity to ground on the Red/White wire? 
 If you are checking at the ignition switch then there may be a break in 
the wire.  I can't tell from the wiring diagram I have if there are any 
connectors between here and there but if there is check there first.  Also make 
sure you have continuity to between the engine block and battery negative.

If you measure nothing then try jumpering 12 volts to the Red/White wire on 
the solenoid and see if the starter engages.

Dave