Subject: Re: [TR] results.....water pump pulley alignment

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:51:14 -0500

I once re-built a Hillman motor and forgot to put the cir-clips in to hold
the wristpins.  I did tell the guy about it when I sold the car, it blew
about a month after......

Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gary Nafziger
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] results.....water pump pulley alignment

I probably shouldn't admit to screw-ups but that's how we learn!  My
original question to the list was concerning  a mis-aligned water pump
pulley.  I noticed the water pump pulley was at least half inch farther
forward than it should be.  This is a newly restored tr-3 with less than
25-30 miles on it.

I
removed the pump and the pulley immediately fell off.  The nut that was
supposed to hold the pulley on was on the shaft but inside the pulley!  I
guess I had installed the water pump then slipped the pulley over the
shaft..........as a "test fit" and later managed to install the generator,
belt and tighten everything up without noticing.  I found I also had not
completely tightened the bottom generator mounting bolts.  

During the 25-30
miles I've driven the car since restoration the pulley had apparently been
turning partially on the shaft and partially on the snout of the water pump.

I've also found various other nuts and bolts needing tightening.  Needless
to say I have the pulley appropriately mounted and am double checking other
areas specifically front suspension.

Just an FYI for others contemplating a
restoration.  Other stories out there? LOL

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 07:45:26 -0400

Yep - second pass of checks is always good.

I had a friend help with the TR2 and we were under a time crunch. The
generator bolts did not get tightened and I was haunted by my friends "I
dont' know how tight these should be" and my "use your best judgment"
answer.

About 7 miles from the house on our maiden voyage to the car show 3 hrs
away, I pulled over and the generator bolts were backed out and nearly
touching the belt.  30 mins later and a few burns, we were back on the
road. Would have been so much nicer to do that in my garage on a cold
engine...