Subject: [TR] Engine oil?

From: Jim Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:25:00 -0400

This is a concern amongst the old VW bus crowd as well. The air-cooled
engines run hotter (~350F head temps) than liquid-cooled so we want 20w50,
and with solid flat lifters people are seeking the higher ZDDP. Just
yesterday I found Kendall titanium 20w50 non-synthetic at $44.62 CDN for a
case of 12 US quarts, which is a great price, around here (Ottawa Canada)
anyway. But I was happy just to find something suitable.
The same place had Brad Penn at ~$65 a case.
Jim

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>

On 7/15/13 6:58 PM, John & Pat Donnelly wrote:
> I agree with Randall, not sure how helpful the ZDDP additive stuff, but
> there's a lot of good oils out there that I don't have to spend $10 a
quart
> on.
I've been running 20-50 Castrol for decades. Then they changed the
formulations to make catalytic converters last longer.  3 years ago the
flat tappet cam in my Ford 302 engine went flat requiring replacement of
both the cam & lifters.  2 years ago the cam in my TR3's engine got
replaced because of severe pitting.  I only use oil with ZDDP any more.
Like others I have switched to Valvoline VR1, except I'm running the
synthetic stuff.

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive