Subject: Re: [TR] Crap ,,,

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:09:26 -0700

Looks like it was welded up before but I don't remember having it done, 
and I've owned the car since 1970. Do you think this is salvageable?

If it were me I would go hunting for another block.  Going through a 
threaded bolt hole I wouldn't risk it.

I guess crap is the right sentiment

Sorry

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:15:43 -0500

For oil to go to the water and not the water to the oil, it would 
have to be the oil line to the rocker shaft (hole next to stud hole) 
that's leaking into the water gallery.  The crack doesn't look to 
extend to that hole, so it's possible that the clamping force on that 
section of the head gasket wasn't quite enough to keep those 
separated.  There's a chance that trying Randall's glue / solder thin 
copper wire onto the head gasket might work if you put it around the 
oil feed hole.  I'd give it 50% or so of working if you can get full 
torque on that stud, but it only costs you a head gasket and some man 
hours to try - versus pulling the engine and replacing the block.  If 
it were me, I'd give it a shot.

If I had the engine out of the car and had access to a better block 
I'd go that route instead.

Cheers, Tony D

At 05:03 PM 7/20/2013, John & Pat Donnelly wrote:
>Opened the radiator cap and found creamy brown oily sludge. I know what that
>means.
>
>
>
>The oil in the sump and valves looks clear. Pulled the head and found this.
>You're looking at the top of a TR4A engine block behind cylinder #4. Crap.
>
>
>
>http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/PDONNEL1/library/?sort=3
><http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/PDONNEL1/library/?sort=3&page=1> &page=1
>
>
>
>Looks like it was welded up before but I don't remember having it done, and
>I've owned the car since 1970. Do you think this is salvageable?
>
>
>
>Johnnie
>
>'67 TR4A
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]