Subject: [TR] Blue smoke under uphill load with TR6

From: Allan Reich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:12:27 -0700

Greetings
Strange smoke started coming out of my TR6 after long climb up steep hill at
65 mph in 4th gear overdrive. Also start smelling the oily smoke.
Can run all day at high speed with no issues. This just started as I was on a
similar ride last month with no issues.
Ran home 100 miles no problems. Tested again yesterday on smaller but just as
steep and started smelling it again and saw faint smoke.
Compression between 145 to 160. Plugs 1,2,3 clean and 4,5,6 sooty. Car has cam
and 3 strombergs (Richard Good stuff)
Thought I would throw this out to experts for ideas
Thanks
Allan Reich
Vancouver
1975 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:48:17 +0000

> and 3 strombergs (Richard Good stuff)

What do you have for crankcase ventilation?

Randall

---

From: Allan Reich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:13:46 -0700

Randall:
All the real Crankcase gear is gone (prev owner, not me, I'm innocent !!).
I have a hose from the Valve cover to a "jam jar can" mounted where the 
old 3 tube system is on other TR6's.
Then there is a thinner hose going from the "jam jar" to the vacuum 
junction on the intake manifold that also junctions to the break 
booster. The science in this is the where the thinner vacuum hose is fit 
the manifold, on the pipe the hose fits over, there is a plastic plug 
cap, with a small hole drilled in it to limit the vacuum. the rubber 
hose fits over this plug/cap, so you don't know it is there.
Now, everything has worked like a charm for the two years I have been 
driving it, up until this last weekend.
But it is suspect, because it was the first place I checked, and the 
Valve cover hose was very close to the 1/4" of oil accumulated in the 
jam jar. I pulled it up so there was at least 2" above the oil. I 
thought I had fixed it and was very surprised when I had the issue 
yesterday. Now the smoke was much less, but the hill was short. It's too 
bad the test hill is over 100 miles away.
I am planning to drive it to the Bellevue ABFM this weekend; I don't 
believe I will have any problems. Any listers planning to go, can visit 
me at the show .. it is a distinctive French Blue, with badge bar 
(including the LIST badge) and has a white TR6 racing stripe (sometimes 
incorrectly referred to as a TR250 stripe),
Allan Reich
TR6 - CF30255U (+O)