Subject: [TR] TR6 bushing replacement

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:47:00 -0400

I've found some significant (1/8") play in a lower trunnion mount on my 72
TR6. It really looks like just the bushings that have totally compressed
despite having very few miles on them since installation 15 years ago. Of
course, this part takes the full weight of the corner, driving or not.

Memory says that I can support the car on a jackstand put under the shock
absorber and then just remove the big bolt joining the trunnion and the lower
table/wisbones. I.e. compress the spring by using the car's own weight to do
so. Is this correct? I have no desire to catch a spring or stub axle in the
nose.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 16:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

As long as you leave the shock connected and the inner pivots connected the 
spring is fully contained and will not go anywhere.  No need to support the 
spring pan although that may be the preferred method of supporting the car.

Cheers

Dave

---

From: "Mark Hooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 01:43:30 -0400

Well, threatening or not, I took the advice of the list and it came out well 
enough. 

I think I probably need a new lower arm on the spring table. It seems that 
the hole in the end of the arm (the part that has 2 "top hats" inserted is 
rather worn/rusty. I'm assuming it should be quite smooth inside. Instead 
it's rusty and one of the top hats an be moved about 1/16". Also, can the 
bolt passing through the trunnion (the horizontal one) be wiggled? Mine can 
wiggle about 1/8". It can't really move laterally, but it seems to be a bit 
opened at the sides and lets the bolt "wiggle". If it is supposed to be 
perfectly held in place (other than sliding longitudinally) then I'm also on 
the hook for a new lower trunnion. 

If I bolt the hole lot together tightly then it probably won't shake around, 
but it's not exactly wonderfully new. I guess all the years of shimmying 
rims, worked on things a fair bit...

Mark

1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:46:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 bushing replacement

I have always put the car up with jackstands under the frame in front, then
used a floor jack, the saddle of which fits snuggly in the spring pan, to
take just a little tension off the front suspension before I start to remove
the parts.  Please note that when you do it this way the spring is under
still under compression, but it will be towards the end of its reach, so
hopefully not sitting there with life threatening potential energy still
contained in the spring.  Greg Lemon

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:39:36 -0400 (EDT)

It may be the arm or it may be the inserts.  The latter would be a much 
easier fix.  And trunions are readily available from the usual suppliers, just 
be sure to get the one for that side.  The threads are different.  And the 
castor angle is built into the trunion.

Dave