Subject: [TR] Overheating TR4

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 11:46:59 -0700

Well, after four years of running dead-center in the OK area on the gauge,
suddenly the needle has begun to crawl to the red as I accelerate, then
return to high normal when I come back to idle or 2000 RPM or so. I've done
nothing except fool with the Webers ( an ongoing amusement). The coolant
may have been a bit low, but is now topped off. Checked the timing - may
have been underadvanced at 1000 rpm, now set at 15 degrees at idle. New
sleeved thermostat, even new temp sensor. Heater valve is closed.
What have I done?
Many thanks, as always.

John Howard
65 TR4
73 Stag

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 16:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

Have you noticed a similar pattern with the fuel gauge?  If so then perhaps 
your voltage stabilizer has gone bad.  There may be nothing at all wrong 
with your engine or cooling system.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 07:36:38 -0400 (EDT)

Oh well, so much for the easy check.

It could be a genuine overheating problem or it could just be a gauge 
indication problem.  I can't count how many times I assumed the worse and only 
after some expensive repairs found out it was an easy problem.  If you have 
one of those infrared thermometers you can verify you have an actual overheat 
problem before you put in a new radiator or change the pump or something 
else expensive.

Dave

In a message dated 6/9/2013 9:29:08 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Fuel gauge hasn't worked right for years...mostly lies at empty. Recently 
> bought new in-tank unit, yet to install.
> John
> 
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote: