Subject: [TR] Me and my clutch again

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:35:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hope everyone on the list is well.

1972 Triumph TR6.  Wrote the list 2 years ago when I replaced the clutch master and slave and was unable to get the car into gear without putting the rod from the slave in the top hole and not the middle hole per the manual.  The clutch was described as on its last leg when I had the pre-inspection done 8 years ago.

Many on the list said they ran that way, and I have been for 2 years.

This spring, clutch master was leaking inside the car on my Wilton wool carpet.

Had my car club over, replaced master and slave cylinder, mounted rod in the top hole, bled the system, and took a test drive.  All good.  Had a beer.

Took two more drives, and then it was getting difficult to get the car into first or reverse.

Have the car up on the ramps tonight, removed the rod from slave, checked how it was back together, and by the time I was done, I cannot get the car into any gear.  Its a paperweight.

I was told to take the cap off the master and push in the clutch.  The fluid did NOT go down.  What does this mean?  Also was advise to re-bleed the system again, several people saying that after driving a bit it is necessary.  The clutch pedal feels mushy, and the other thing I note is when the pedal is not depressed, under the car the rod is not returning all the way.

I am open to suggestions, thanks.

Craig 
Vienna, VA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:32:27 -0700

> I was told to take the cap off the master and push in the 
> clutch.  The fluid did NOT go down.  What does this mean? 

That the MC appears to be working.  If the level changes at all, it should
rise very slightly as you first start to move the pedal.  Then the valve
between the reservoir and the working piston closes, and the level in the
reservoir stays the same.

>  the other thing I note is when the 
> pedal is not depressed, under the car the rod is not 
> returning all the way.

That's normal for a TR6.  The slave "self adjusts" by keeping the pushrod
out far enough to hold the bearing up against the clutch all the time.  In
fact, there should be a light spring inside the slave cylinder to keep it
there.  I've heard that some slaves come without the spring, so might be
worth checking if it is there.

How is the pivot between the clutch pedal and the MC pushrod?  Any wear here
translates directly to less motion at the slave and the later TR6 didn't
have any travel to spare.  Stags suffer the same ailment and I was able to
(temporarily) repair mine by making an oversize pin from a metric bolt and
reaming the holes to match.  To do it "right", you'll have to remove the
pedal and have the hole repaired by welding.

Does the lever on the gearbox point straight down, or slightly towards the
slave cylinder?  If it points the other direction, you may have a broken
taper pin.

Certainly can't hurt to try bleeding again.  Can you "pump up" the pedal and
get the clutch to release?

Two modifications might help:
1) Replace the old plastic line from MC to SC with a Teflon/SS line.  The
plastic "balloons" under pressure and so loses motion.  Ted Schumacher sells
the Teflon lines, I'm sure others do as well.

2) Replace the .70" bore MC with the .75" bore unit from a TR250 or early
TR6.  The pedal force will be higher, but you'll get more motion at the
slave.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:16:21 -0700

> What about taking the bolts off of the slave cylinder and 
> putting a washer or two behind the slave where it bolts into 
> the bracket?  This would move it out towards the lever in the 
> right direction.  I have a feeling you are not going to like 
> that idea.  :)

Ok, this might sound crazy ... But that might actually help a small amount,
especially if you are using DOT 5 fluid.  On the Stag, I could tell that it
made a small difference, but not enough to solve the problem.

-- Randall

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:22:46 -0600

Are you positive the thrust washers are not part of the problem?

mjb.