Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 06:42:49 -0400

Unfortunately, most of my triumphs I have are a bit modified or unknown
mods.  Street Cam, different distributor, Carbs with or without vacuum
advance. - so I've found that 4 degrees is helpful to get them at least
started.

After that, I turn the distributor to fastest Idle, snug it down, then I'll
shut it off and restart to make sure it turns over easy (wrong timing can
make the starter work quite hard). Then I drive.  i'll pull over and back
it off a bit if it pings.

Your results may vary - but I've been doing it this way since my uncle
taught me - and I've not burned up a piston yet...

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "ptegler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 07:17:16 -0400

ol' timer tricks....
using a vacuum gauge, set your advance for the maximum possible manifold 
vacuum, while setting/maintaining the proper idle rpm.
with or without vacuum adv/retard connected means nothing.doing it this way.

Paul Tegler
[email-masked]
www.teglerizer.com
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Chris Simo" <[email-masked]>
To: "list Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:35:02 -0700

> advance. - so I've found that 4 degrees is helpful to get them at least
With a modified engine that has a cam you need more initial advance than 
stock.  If you have a worn distributor or timing chain you will need 
more initial advance.

A good rule of thumb is that our engines do well with about 32-34 
degrees total advance.  That's initial advance plus vacuum advance plus 
mechanical advance.  If your vacuum or mechanical advance is not working 
properly you may find yourself setting in a lot more initial advance 
just to get the engine to run OK at driving RPMs. Never hurts to check 
your distributor over to make sure it along with all its advances are in 
spec.

But if you have a cam in the engine figure you will probably want about 
8 degrees initial advance.

TeriAnn