Subject: Re: [TR] wrong cap

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:29:37 -0500

I don't know the rating of a TR3B cap, but what you describe is a common 
occurrence, you top up the radiator, run the car, shut off the car, heat 
from the motor heats up the coolant, which is no longer circulating, to its 
highest temperature yet, it expands and leaks out the cap, two solutions, 
install a catch/return tank as they started to do in the sixties, you can 
get one from a later LBC, or a generic plastic one from a local chain auto 
parts store.  I used a generic one on a car I used to have, and was 
surprised when it not only caught the overflow, but returned most of it when 
the motor cooled back down.

Plan B, let it overflow a couple times and it will reach its sustainable 
level.

Greg Lemon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:48:44 -0500

Dave,

You may just have it overfull, when cold the neck should only have about
1/2" of coolant. BTDT, more than that and it will self-adjust the level for
you.

Yes, 4lb cap but check to be sure you have the right depth.  My '58 is a 1"
drop and the '62 is only 3/4", no way to know if you have the original rad
or not so just measure before you head to the FLAPS.

BTW, if you don't have a heater you could move up to a 7lb cap with no
problems.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] wrong cap

late tr3b, I finally got it running after who knows how many years.

drove it around the block and down to the gas station a few days ago.
flushed and put that stuff in it that is supposed to clean out the system.
still in it.

ran it for about 15 minutes tonight, probably 3k rpm (no tach), no temp
gage, using infrared thermometer b keeps 180 b 190 after warmed up.
thermostat works (tested that on the stove).  seemed just fine.  no water
leaking/escaping.

turn it off and water comes out of the cap.  a lot.  replace it?  is 4 lb
right (thatbs what it says on the cap).

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 22:35:55 -0400

I see that STANT has 4 PSI radiator caps. In fact, I find there are three.
P/N's 10205, 10208, and 10281. Anyone have a source to tell them apart?

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> flushed
> and put that stuff in it that is supposed to clean out the system.  still
> in
> it.
>
> gage,
> using infrared thermometer b keeps 180 b 190 after warmed up.
> thermostat
> works (tested that on the stove).  seemed just fine.  no water
> leaking/escaping.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 21:18:34 -0700

> P/N's 10205, 10208, and 10281. Anyone have a source to tell them apart?
Generic radiator caps will not work properly on a TR3-3B radiator. The 
filler neck is longer and the bottom of the cap does not seal. The wrong 
camp acts the same as no cap.  You need to get a special longer cap.

TeriAnn

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 08:14:27 -0500

I got the longer cap at NAPA, $6.00, while my 3B used the shorter cap. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 11:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] wrong cap

TeriAnn