Subject: Re: [TR] Ethanol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:16:26 -0400 (EDT)

John,
 
I can't blame ethanol gas to be certain but it does seem odd that I had to  
replace the fuel filter on my TR6 twice during the past 8 years (motor 
stopped  running).  Upon examination of the filter (I sawed it in half and 
removed  the metal shell to get to the element), the element was literally 
plastered with  a choking slurry of what looked like heavy mud.  Shining a 
flashlight into  the fuel tank didn't reveal anything odd so I really don't know 
where the gunk  came from.
 
I've never had rubber hose, fuel pump or gasket problems with ethanol  gas.
 
Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA 
1962 TR4  CT2052L

 
In a message dated 6/5/2013 11:08:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Fellow  Listers

I rarely post now as I no longer own any Triumphs as where  I
live was built before the days of the car, hence no garage  space.

That to
one side, I've noticed of late that the FBHVC  (Federation of Historic 
British
Vehicle Clubs in the UK) seems to be  getting very despondent about the use 
of
ethanol in modern fuel and the  fact that ethanol is judged by the FBHVC to 
be
harmful to older cars of our  preference. I'm making no claims or statements
one way or the other but  I've a feeling this hue and cry is vaguely 
redolent
of the situation 12+  years back when leaded fuel was finally abandoned in 
the
UK. In those days,  if you listened to the prophets of doom at the time (and
believed them)  most classic cars would completely vanish from the scene 
within
a few  years. Well, I never believed any of the trash published by the 
classic
car  press (and some clubs) and we've still got those cars in probably the  
same
numbers? 

As I knew at the time and did my best to present an  alternative
view based on technical evidence from the Engineering Divisions  at Rover, 
Land
Rover and BMW Mobile Tradition, even re-seating exhaust  valves truly wasn't
essential, neither was the use of octane boosters or  lead substitutes. Cars
were happily running on lead memory - and thousands  still do!

I'm simply
curious to know what you guys think and may  have discovered in the 
unavoidable
use of ethanol in your tanks? AFAIK  you've been using it a lot longer than 
we
have - and without any problems  if the lack of posts on this list are to be
believed? When I drove "uncle  jack" across the States and Canada in 2009
(18,000 miles in just two months  driving) the only issues with fuel were 
two
blocked fuel filters and a  failed Facet pump in Vancouver. Since then, I've
not seen anything from  Phil Ethier who now owns "uj" about ethanol probs he
has (or hasn't) had  and all this leads me to believe the whole scenario 
could
be something of a  'red herring.'

Comments off list would be interesting. As
I said, I  no longer own a classic car and my daily transport is diesel 
powered
and  came out of Korea.

Cheers, Jonmac

** [email-masked]  **

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive