Subject: Re: [TR] Tranny/Overdrive & Diff fluid

From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:03:06 -0500 (CDT)

Same question for the rear diff.   thanks  - I searched the archive and didn't really see any even though I know this has been discussed before)
 
Carl

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
Tampa, Florida

On 06/13/13, John Wise 
wrote:

First thanks for everyone confirming my hypothesis of the tranny/overdrive
needing some oil. My plan is to drain & refill it.

I looked at my records and found 3 different brands/weights over the past 10
or so years. The same goes true on the recommendations that I have recorded
from the time the car was living in Phoenix.

What is the current wisdom for tranny/overdrive oil in a car that will likely
be staying Florida??

Thanks in advance

John

John Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 TR3A
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/TR3A.html

1977 Porsche 911S ('86 3.2 engine)
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Porsche.html

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:26:11 -0500 (CDT)

Extra fee...   $80+ depending on one or two day....  
 
I found a local distributor of Brad Penn GL4 80w90 which is what TRF recommends.   So all is good with the universe.

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO

On 06/17/13, Randall 
wrote:

> I realize that b but timing is an issue.

Amazon will ship next day, for an extra fee. But their price was low enough
(compared to local stores) that the overall cost might not be much higher.

My second choice if the MT-90 is not available would be Valvoline VR1 or NSL
20W50 racing motor oil. Ken Gillanders ran a 5-year test in his ex-racing
TR2 and reported the gearbox "looked like new" when they tore it down.
Herman van den Akker also recommends it. And I ran it in my A-type for a
lot of years. Supposedly the high ZDDP content helps to protect the thrust
washers, and of course motor oil is what both Laycock and Standard-Triumph
recommended for many years.

-- Randall