Subject: Re: [TR] Replacement starter for my TR3A

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 17:58:48 -0700

I thought the cut over was TS60000? You do not want to put the wrong one in.
I have TS57201L and it had the earlier bullet nose. I replaced it with the
new hi-torq. Physically the installation is no harder than the original
starter, maybe even easier as it is smaller. Electrically is easy also
unless you use Randall's wring scenario and forget that you have the lead
for your auxiliary fan coming off the power terminal you just bypassed. 

The only downside is that when you start the engine, it just doesn't sound
as good.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 1:36 PM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Replacement starter for my TR3A

I've been looking at the replacement Hi-Torq starter (Moss and others) for
my post-TS50000 TR3A. Is this a straightforward plug-and-play replacement
part, or is some modification involved? Any satisfied listers out there who
have installed this part?

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:16:13 -0700

> I thought the cut over was TS60000?

Should have been TS50000 for the starter and flywheel (but the extensive
body changes were at TS60000).  But obviously many cars are no longer
wearing their original equipment by now, so you should probably check what
you have before ordering.

A friend of mine had an early TR3 that somehow had gotten a later flywheel
by the time it came to him (in pieces).  The gear-drive replacement for the
early starter worked a dozen times or so; before it wouldn't turn the engine
any more.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 00:32:37 -0700

> have installed this part?

I've been running the later style starter since 2001 (even though both cars
have been pre-TS50k), been quite happy with it.  Lately I've been starting
to suspect it needs attention, as the engine doesn't spin quite as fast as
it used to, but I haven't actually had it out to look yet.  Even with the
gear drive, I suppose that brushes and bushings can still wear out over
time.

The starter can be a direct bolt-on; but I chose to make two modifications:
I added a Helicoil to the transmission flange so I never have to fight with
that dang upper nut again; and I changed the wiring so the original solenoid
(which had lost part of its smoke before making the change) only switches
current to the new solenoid (on the starter).

Randall

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:48:57 -0700

How about Corian like they make counter tops out of?  Surely you can get
scraps from a shop that installs them for nothing.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark Hooper
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2013 10:48 AM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Non-LBC question

I did promise no TR6 questions for a bit; so this one is a boat question.

I'm re-mounting a boat motor. It's a big old Ford 351 sitting on 4 aluminium
pads secured by 4" lag screws to the boat's motor bunks (frame members).
Problem; the fellow who rebuild the rotted out motor bunks for me replaced
them about 3/4" too low. I am looking to make spacers between the bunks and
the motor mounts. I'll make temporary pieces from wood, but would prefer
something non-rotting. The material must be quite stiff since the motor will
be pushing on the mounts (unlike most that push on the transom of the boat)
and I don't want it torquing the screws out of the boat.

I'd thought of that artificial wood for decks, but have no idea about it's
resistance to oil etc. Suggestions anybody?

Mark
1972 TR6

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:52:39 +0000

Mark

Isn't there marine plywood, it is supposed to be non-rotting ( as much as
anything ), the stuff they used to use in Morgan's?  The other alternative
would be aluminum blocks.

David
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

Mark
1972 TR6

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 15:51:56 -0500

try cutting up a plastic cutting board.

-----Original Message----- 
From: David Templeton
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2013 1:52 PM
To: [email-masked] ; 'Triumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] Non-LBC question

Mark

David