Subject: Re: [TR] intermittantly dies

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:10:12 -0500

I would put my money on crud in the tank, that's exactly how it behaves when 
you have that problem, seen it many times on my cars and others as well, 
first hand, and heard many many of the same stories second hand.  But I 
agree with Randall, I would do a little more research before I pulled the 
tank. in addition to Randall's suggestion check your fuel filter if you have 
one, as well is crud in the float bowls of the carbs if you don't have a 
filter.

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:50 PM
To: "'Dave'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] intermittantly dies

>> crap in the gas tank, right?  time to R&R the tank and clean it out?
>
> I'd want better evidence than that, before going to all the trouble to R&R
> the tank; especially since you say it will "start right up" after the
> problem passes.
>
> Reproduce the problem, then pull off a fuel line near the carbs and crank
> for a bit to see if it's pumping fuel.  If so, the problem is likely to be
> somewhere else.  Like maybe a bad condenser.
>
> Also try looking down the tank filler neck.  On a TR2 or 3, you can see 
> the
> tank outlet that way; but even on the other TRs you should be able to get
> some idea if there is FOD in the bottom.
>
> -- Randall
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:28:46 -0500

good suggestions.

have replaced the fuel filter once or twice.  it sits on the fender up above 
the fuel pump.

tonight it was full of fuel.

I guess I have to tempt fate to further trouble shoot this . . .  and I'll 
carry my handy tin cup to catch fuel.  I was going to test that tonight but 
the exhaust pipe is down there below all that and I didn't have my tin cup.

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:02:09 +0100 (BST)

Sticking float needle valves in the carb float chamber itself is another
likely cause. If the car has been stood for years, all sorts of muck in the
valves will cause a sticking valve and zero fuel flow. Remove the valves from
the float chamber lid, clean valve and housing with fine sand/emery paper,
blow through with air and re-assemble. BTDT many times. Cure to the general
problem of intermittent running comes under several headings and you often
have to go through all of them to be sure.

Jonmac