Subject: [TR] intermittantly dies

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:43:05 -0500

TR b apparently sat for some years; was not running when I got it.

now it runs, mostly.

drive it for 10 to 20 minutes, it will sputter, lose power, and die.

let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes or a day or two, it will start right up.

except yesterday I put 4 gallons of premium, plus some fuel injector/carb
cleaner, drove it for 20+ minutes no problem.  tonight about 10 minutes and
poof.  wife shows up in about 10 or 15 min, starts to tow me home.  stopped at
a light I see if it will start, it does.  I drive the couple of miles home and
into the garage no problem.

crap in the gas tank, right?  time to R&R the tank and clean it out?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 19:50:39 -0700

> crap in the gas tank, right?  time to R&R the tank and clean it out?

I'd want better evidence than that, before going to all the trouble to R&R
the tank; especially since you say it will "start right up" after the
problem passes.

Reproduce the problem, then pull off a fuel line near the carbs and crank
for a bit to see if it's pumping fuel.  If so, the problem is likely to be
somewhere else.  Like maybe a bad condenser.

Also try looking down the tank filler neck.  On a TR2 or 3, you can see the
tank outlet that way; but even on the other TRs you should be able to get
some idea if there is FOD in the bottom.

-- Randall

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:19:10 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Another thing I would check is the fuel lines.  I had similar problems and it
turned out that a rubber line by the fuel line was collapsing and stopping the
fuel.

Roger Elliott

-----Original Message-----
>From: Dave <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Jun 23, 2013 9:43 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [TR] intermittantly dies
>