Subject: Re: [TR] 59 TR3A Choke Setting

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 22:54:34 -0500

I have never done it 'Fred's' way, never had a problem.  It just doesn't
make sense to put sideways pressure on that jet.  And why just the front
jet?
Bill  

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Keep Calm and Carry On

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:04 PM
To: Triumph Mail List
Subject: [TR] 59 TR3A Choke Setting

I recall Fred Thomas sharing with the list many years ago that most jet
commecting rod assemblies for the H6 SU carbs are not installed properly.
What Fred explained is that the Fork end that connects to the front carb is
mistankingly installed to the jet lever by putting it between the two sides
of the fork. Fred insisted that the fork goes on the outer side of the
lever.  Does anyone recall this and do you agree that this is the correct
set up?  I had a local British Car shop tune up my carbs and they changed
this set up and put the lever in the center of the fork.  My choke is not
working properly so I am goiong to readjust it and wanted to check before I
changed it back to the outside set up.  When you read the manuals, there is
no mention of how to install the rod assembly. TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechaicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3A

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:05:17 -0700

I do remember Fred saying that; tho in all honesty I don't recall if he told
me before I told him <g>

If you check Practical Hints, I believe there is a photo in there that shows
the unusual arrangement at the front.  I thought I had an enhanced copy of
that photo posted on Photobucket, but I can't seem to find it (and it's not
on this computer).

-- Randall

---

From: "Ed Oot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 14:28:36 -0400

Fred was correct.  It is offset.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:04 PM
To: Triumph Mail List
Subject: [TR] 59 TR3A Choke Setting

Scott Suhring
Mechaicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3A

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:31:44 -0700

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the unusual arrangement at the front...

Said photo...

http://tinyurl.com/kgeb82p

Though my view is -- whatever works that gives you full choke & full
release w/o binding is best.

Geo