Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Gear Reduction Starters

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 09:48:58 -0700

I'll suggest Ted Schumacher.  He charges a bit more, but will definitely
stand behind the product.  And he won't try to sell you a rebuilt starter as
new.  Supposedly he also makes sure the wires inside the solenoid are
secured so they cannot break from vibration.  Mostly a racing feature, but
can't hurt on the street.

And Ted understands quite well the difference between early & late
flywheels.

-- Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:23:45 -0400

We sourced one for out TR6 from Gustafson Specialty. It has worked great.
Not sure if they sell directly but I think they were happy to sell to a
local shop. They advertise in all major LBC magazines. I noticed on their
website that they address that very issue of how can one starter fit many
engines - they don't. What does TRF, Moss and VB offer?

www.gustafsonspecialty.com 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:11 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Reduction Starters

     I am thinking about upgrading my post TS 60,000 TR3A starter to a
modern gear reduction starter. I am hoping that it will help make the car
easier to start on cold mornings.
     I am looking at two of them on Ebay. One is from
Britishperformanceparts. It is $44 more expensive than the other. I tend to
like the guys ad. It could state more about what kind of starter it is. I
assume that it started as a Nippon Denso.
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230620025024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.
m
1423.l2649
 
     The other guy (Alterstart) states that his is a Nippon Denso, but
states that it fits all of the tractor engined TR's including the TR2. We
all know what happens when you put a later starter on an earlier starter
gear. This raises my suspicions on whether this guy can be trusted.
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230620025024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.
m
1423.l2649
 
     Any suggestions? Are there other sources that are recommended?
     TIA,
 
     Bill in Tehachapi

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]