Subject: [TR] Non-LBC question

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:48:00 -0400

I did promise no TR6 questions for a bit; so this one is a boat question.

I'm re-mounting a boat motor. It's a big old Ford 351 sitting on 4 aluminium
pads secured by 4" lag screws to the boat's motor bunks (frame members).
Problem; the fellow who rebuild the rotted out motor bunks for me replaced
them about 3/4" too low. I am looking to make spacers between the bunks and
the motor mounts. I'll make temporary pieces from wood, but would prefer
something non-rotting. The material must be quite stiff since the motor will
be pushing on the mounts (unlike most that push on the transom of the boat)
and I don't want it torquing the screws out of the boat.

I'd thought of that artificial wood for decks, but have no idea about it's
resistance to oil etc. Suggestions anybody?

Mark
1972 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:47:35 -0400 (EDT)

How about pressure treated wood.  That's non-rotting.

Dave

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 20:44:18 -0400 (EDT)

Dave, I showed your e-mail to the rotting 20-year-old P/T piece of decking on
my deck, and it laughed. ;) In fairness, it's only one spot on only one board.
Still, I'm not convinced that wood is the best solution here!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave1massey <[email-masked]>

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 07:29:41 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting.  My 20 year old P/T deck is holding up quite well.  Even the 
posts set right in the ground.  Maybe you got a piece that was not properly 
treated.

Still, if Mark only gets 20 years out of that boat before another 
rebuild...

In a message dated 6/9/2013 7:44:18 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Dave, I showed your e-mail to the rotting 20-year-old P/T piece of 
> decking on my deck, and it laughed. ;) In fairness, it's only one spot on only 
> one board. Still, I'm not convinced that wood is the best solution here!

---

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:25:00 -0400

Hi Tim:

A very Canadian suggestion,,, despite your location. :^)

The material is ideal I think. Alas, hockey pucks are not big enough to cover
the space required.

I had lots of interesting responses from the list. I going to have a go with
some PVC planking that Cliff Davies(a nearby list member) has volunteered.
I'll keep my eyes on it for stability, since I'm not sure how the conditions
will affect the stuff. Still, I think the load is only about 25 lb/sq. inch,
so I'm hopeful that nothing too untoward will occur.

Cheers and thanks again to the almighty list!

Mark
1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hutchisen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: June-10-13 7:28 AM
To: [email-masked]; 'Triumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] Non-LBC question

Mark,
    Try hockey pucks. Stiff durometer, waterproof.
Tim Hutchisen
Norway, ME