Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Headlamp "Pull my hair out' Issues - Thank you.

From: "Carl-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 00:11:57 -0400

Just a follow-up to let all know what I found

1) dimmer switch bad - no continuity from solidblue connection (middle) to
high beam side (double spade terminals)
2) test headlamp had high beam only
3) Bad relay on low beam side

No wonder nothing worked.....  I had spares of both the dimmer and relay.
Found an old headlamp I could use to test (not sure what it was from - it
was a large hi/low rectangular lamp)

Spent a good 12 hours sorting it out.  4 blown fuses.  Original Test
headlamp now has no beams :^)   
But the lights shine brightly now....

On to the tail lights and indicator lamps.   Hopefully much easier.   No
brake fluid yet so can't test that function until next week sometime.

Talked with the folks at AdvanceAutoWire - the fuses are on the lamp side of
the relay so that any short (which would probably occur at the lamps) would
not pass through the relay to eventually the switch.   There is a fuse on
both the low and high beam circuit.   Since I had a single hot wire feeding
into the relays from the control box through a second fuse box on the
firewall, I decided to go ahead and add one after the relays on the footwell
behind/above the dip switch.  I am putting P700 lamps with halogen bulbs on
the car and thought it might be prudent.  Perhaps that is overkill, but it
seemed to make sense in my feeble brain..

Later,
C

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Carl TR
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Headlamp "Pull my hair out' Issues - Thank you.

Thanks to Dave, Randall, Greg, & George for the responses.  I will spend
some time checking the various suggestions over the next few days.   I
noticed on the schematic from Advanced Auto that the fuses are after the
relays - I assume to protect the relays from shorting out.    Is there an
advantage to that since I'll be 'up there' anyway and wouldn't be a major
issue in switching.
 
Thanks again.

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
Tampa, Florida

On 05/27/13, Carl-TR wrote:

The project is moving along.. ran into a 'stumper' this afternoon.

See
http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/TR3AwiringCM_16LampCircuitSM
ALL.png.html (email if problems viewing it)

I have all wired as in the link - but nothing happens when I flip the
switch.

Checked the fuses - ok

Checked juice from the switch - ok

Checked the live wire going into the fuse block - ok

But no lights. 

Wires feed into standard H/L pigtail. 

Grounded at Horn Tower connection. Just in case - put a jumper from ground
lead directly to battery - no difference.

Anything wrong with my schematic? 

Next step is to disconnect at relays and bypass - but I can't believe that
both relays are bad.

Any insight is appreciated..

Carl

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO

<http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/> http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 

Still being restored - but 2013 looks like the year..

Tampa, FL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive