Subject: [TR] 3D printing is here...

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 06:39:57 -0400

...and additive manufacturing is expected to have big impacts on a number
of industries.  One of the areas is spare parts, where complex parts,
expensive inventory, and logistics needs are driving a lot of high-buck
equipment folks to look at it.

There will almost certainly be impacts on classic car parts, too. It's
already starting. The July 2013 issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars has
a tiny mention of Noble House, a Dutch Aston company, who have been making
plastic and metal parts since July 2011. They mention a DBS airbox in
plastic, steel DB4 door hinges, and a baffled oil sump.

Over the long term there will be many
Triumph parts made this way, we can be sure.  The technology is just
getting started.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:43:23 -0400 (EDT)

Indeed, and with small printers in the sub $10K range the major hurdle has 
become the 3D CAD files that are needed.  Back when our cars were designed a 
CAD was just a person you wouldn't care to associate with.

Dave

---

From: "Brian Induni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:05:51 -0700

Don,
I agree! I have a small 3D printer and it is incredible to be able to make
anything you can think of (well, almost!). Of course, the tough part is
learning the CAD software required to be able to "print" a part.

Brian

----------------------------------------------------------------------

...and additive manufacturing is expected to have big impacts on a number of
industries.  One of the areas is spare parts, where complex parts, expensive
inventory, and logistics needs are driving a lot of high-buck equipment
folks to look at it.

There will almost certainly be impacts on classic car parts, too. It's
already starting. The July 2013 issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars has a
tiny mention of Noble House, a Dutch Aston company, who have been making
plastic and metal parts since July 2011. They mention a DBS airbox in
plastic, steel DB4 door hinges, and a baffled oil sump.

Over the long term there will be many
Triumph parts made this way, we can be sure.  The technology is just getting
started.

------------------------------

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:01:58 -0400

If Anyone needs CAD files for 3D printing, let me know.  I can do them in
Solidworks 2011 if I have the original part to copy, the drawing, or the
dimensions needed.

*******************Original message*********************

Don,

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web.com - Microsoft. Exchange solutions from a leading provider -
http://link.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange