Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3 temp gage

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:57:19 -0400

You might try a different tach cable.  Could be binding.  In a pinch you
could temporarily use the speedo cable - same fittings - to test it,  If it
still screams at you - then in the instrument itself.

Unless to you switch to a TR4 setup (electric) it is probably beyond most
DIYs ability.   

Carl
1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
Tampa, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Tr3 temp gage

Late tr3.  Have not had the car long.  Finally running and driving today.
Looks like all the gages except tach and temp are finally working.   Tach
screams; its probably bad.  Temp gage is lifeless.   Other than confirming
its
lack of response by puting the sensor in hot water, is there anything else I
can do?  I guess I have to send the gage and tube out?  Any other options?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 00:55:49 -0700

> can do?  I guess I have to send the gage and tube out?  Any other options?

If your goal is just to drive the car and you don't want to spend the money
to have the original refurbished; it is quite possible to use a cheap
aftermarket gauge.  I ran for quite a few years with a "Sunpro" mechanical
gauge that I believe can still be found for under $30 with a little hunting
around.  (Amazon has it listed for $25)
http://goo.gl/5RbJz

It fits the original holes; the only mod is to hook the lead for the lamp
into the dash light circuit.

-- Randall