Subject: [TR] Moss TR6 spin on oil filter conversion

From: Alex Cherington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 01:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Has anybody else fitted one of these????

I purchased one a long time
ago but it leaked on installation and was replaced. I didn't get round to a
second attempt but my garage attempted to fit the second one and it leaked
too.

Anybody else had any luck with it???

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 06:59:11 -0400 (EDT)

Where is it leaking?  I got one second hand (about twenty years ago) and the
bolt was too long.  I think there is a piece missing.  A piece that works with
an O-ring or two to seal off the bolt.  In a pinch I stacked up a couple of
washers slathered with gasket sealer and bolted it on.  It didn't so much as
leak as it weeped.  More recently I bought a small bag of sealing washers
(http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sealing-washers/=n79sn1) to do it up right.
Turns out the bolt was still too long (missing part) so I found a tight
fitting flat washer and between that and two sealing washers I got a good fit.
It works so well that the bolt head is now rusty.

If your leak is where the body fits into the annular seal check the sealing
ring.  A perennial problem here is too many rings.  An old ring may still be
in there and not sealing well.  Also the casting may not be true in which case
it will never seal.  This would qualify as a defective part.

I love my conversion.  I get oil pressure much more quickly upon startup and
changing filters is a little less messy.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Cherington <[email-masked]>

Hi,

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 07:48:03 -0400

I have the conversion as well - and had the leaking occur after the first
filter change.  Turns out  I can't seem to keep the adaptor from wanting to
unscrew before the filter and I kinked the oring during removal and
reinstall.   I put in a new oring and it's all good, but replacing the oil
filter is currently a two handed affair - holding the adaptor while
unscrewing the filter -  though not optimal - still way easier than the
million turn bolt of the old filter.

I've tried locktite on the central adaptor bolt.  I think the heat of the
engine renders it useless. I cranked it down pretty well, too.

I don't want to do it, but maybe I pull it down, clean everything, and use
a hardening gasket sealer on the oring and basically glue the thing down.

Any other suggestions?

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 06:36:18 -0600

> second attempt but my garage attempted to fit the second one and it leaked

Note that the original canister will slide on the center stud until it 
contacts the square-section o-ring, and the internal spring keeps the 
filter element pressed against the land which has the output from the 
oil pump. That the canister and element can move independently pretty 
much eliminates the chances of leakage with proper installation.

Now, with the one-piece casting of the adapter, those two different 
lands (for the center stop and the o-ring) have to be accommodated at 
once.  The annoyance--and leakage--occurs because the lands were not 
uniformly machined together at the factory, because there was no need 
for their relationship to be consistent, with the original design.  In 
relation to the adapter casting, if the center land of the block is too 
deep, the outer o-ring flange will seal, but the internal land will not, 
and the adaptor will allow oil to bypass the filter (and the adapter 
will wiggle on the outer o-ring and the center bolt will eventually work 
loose).  If the center land of the block stands too tall, the adapter 
will seal properly internally, but the o-ring flange will not apply 
enough pressure to the outer o-ring, and that will leak.

Essentially, this means the adapter has to be fitted to the individual 
block.  If the o-ring land in the block is too shallow, the o-ring 
flange on the adapter has to be machined down slightly. If the o-ring 
land in the block is too deep, some of the center land of the adapter 
has to removed.  Mocal adapters come with instructions for fitting and 
include a little modeling clay to help with determining the fit at the 
adapter center.   I've written about this before, so there should be 
more in the archives.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

---

From: Alex Cherington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 05:38:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 
I have never attempted to fit it myself as I now recall both
attempts were by different garages at oil change time. I thought it would be a
2 minute job to fit.

I looked at the unit for the first time in about 8
years today...lol... and there is a small o-ring in the middle. Does it also
need a large o-ring at the engine end where the old filter bowl would
currently seal???  I think that is MIA at present.

Seems a bit
temperamental.

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, 15 June 2013, 11:59
Subject: Re: [TR]
Moss TR6 spin on oil filter conversion

Where is it leaking?  I got one
second hand (about twenty years ago) and the
bolt was too long.  I think there
is a piece missing.  A piece that works with
an O-ring or two to seal off the
bolt.  In a pinch I stacked up a couple of
washers slathered with gasket
sealer and bolted it on.  It didn't so much as
leak as it weeped.  More
recently I bought a small bag of sealing washers
(http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sealing-washers/=n79sn1) to do it up right.
Turns out the bolt was still too long (missing part) so I found a tight
fitting flat washer and between that and two sealing washers I got a good fit.
It works so well that the bolt head is now rusty.

If your leak is where the
body fits into the annular seal check the sealing
ring.  A perennial problem
here is too many rings.  An old ring may still be
in there and not sealing
well.  Also the casting may not be true in which case
it will never seal. 
This would qualify as a defective part.

I love my conversion.  I get oil
pressure much more quickly upon startup and
changing filters is a little less
messy.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Cherington
<[email-masked]>

Hi,

Has anybody else fitted one of these????
I purchased one a long time
ago but it leaked on installation and was
replaced. I didn't get round to a
second attempt but my garage attempted to
fit the second one and it leaked
too.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 06:35:41 -0700

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've installed two w/o leaks.

In one case I removed 3 old seals that were jammed in the filter head.
Used Loctite on the threads.  Lubed all the seals.  Tighten the bejeezus
out of the unit, then hand-tightened the spin-on filter.

Here are the instructions from one of mine (they were both MOCAL from Moss)
in case it is of use:

http://tinyurl.com/mq4tx5a

Geo

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Alex Cherington <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:20:34 -0400 (EDT)

Sure, it does.  Those O-rings are supplied with each OE filter cartridge.  The
adapter is machined with a feature that seals up against that O-ring.  At
least mine did.  Yours may be different.  In which case I would have to see it
to better advise.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

I have never attempted to fit it myself as I now recall both
attempts were by different garages at oil change time. I thought it would be
a
2 minute job to fit.

Seems a bit
temperamental.

(http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sealing-washers/=n79sn1) to do it up
right.
fitting flat washer and between that and two sealing washers I got a good
fit.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Cherington

Hi,

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:26:29 -0400 (EDT)

That is the TR3/4 adapter.  The TR6 is different.
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=54777

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Jun 15, 2013 8:36 am
Subject: Re: [TR] Moss TR6 spin on oil filter conversion

Geo

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:34:02 -0400 (EDT)

Is this a TR6 or a TR3/4 adapter?

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>

Any other suggestions?