Subject: [TR] pinion oil seal

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 21:27:29 -0500

Hi, all.

Ibm being brave here and venturing into new territory.

a recently acquired tr3b is leaking oil out of the bfrontb or forward side
of the diffy.

according to the moss parts book (and with a little help from a friend), I
need a new oil seal.

that would be mossmotors part 520-090, #26 on this diagram:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=36462&SortOrder
=540

my question, since I have never done this before, is do I need/should I
replace anything else?  and any hints/caveats would be helpful.  I do have the
shop manual.

thanks!

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 00:31:13 -0700

> replace anything else?  and any hints/caveats would be helpful. 

Use some fine abrasive cloth to clean up the surface of the flange where the
seal rides, then examine it carefully.  If there is a dark line that you
cannot polish away, consider replacing the flange or installing a
SpeediSleeve.  Otherwise the new seal may leak just as badly as the old one.

Grease the seal & flange before installation.

Good time to inspect the U-joint.

Randall