Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 bushing replacement

From: "Skip Gurnee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 19:57:39 -0700

You can do that, you might even get away with it.  Remember, however, that 
springs are alive and have a malevolent personality.  They will ALWAYS try 
to get you.   Protect yourself.

Skip Gurnee (who still has his nose)
'64 TR4, '65 TR4A, 70TVR, et al.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Mark Hooper

I've found some significant (1/8") play in a lower trunnion mount on my 72
TR6. It really looks like just the bushings that have totally compressed
despite having very few miles on them since installation 15 years ago. Of
course, this part takes the full weight of the corner, driving or not.

Memory says that I can support the car on a jackstand put under the shock
absorber and then just remove the big bolt joining the trunnion and the 
lower
table/wisbones. I.e. compress the spring by using the car's own weight to do
so. Is this correct? I have no desire to catch a spring or stub axle in the
nose.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 22:39:44 -0500

I have always put the car up with jackstands under the frame in front, then 
used a floor jack, the saddle of which fits snuggly in the spring pan, to 
take just a little tension off the front suspension before I start to remove 
the parts.  Please note that when you do it this way the spring is under 
still under compression, but it will be towards the end of its reach, so 
hopefully not sitting there with life threatening potential energy still 
contained in the spring.  Greg Lemon