Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Install

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:10:27 -0400

This might be common knowledge but it is worth repeating... 

RE: Blocks -  16" (two blocks) should be max and ample room for getting
underneath.  the half block size will work so you only have an 8" column to
deal with.  For strength place them so that the open ends are vertical.
BUT - Also insert good solid jack stands under the end you are working on.

Carl
1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
Tampa, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:58 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Install

I didn't on the TR3, just the shifter.  Clearance gets close when you hit
the point of straightening out the unit for final touchdown, this is why I
try to raise the car 5"-10" on blocks(please be sure they are sound).

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Henningsen
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Install

Thanks for the responses.  If installing as a combined unit did you need to
take the top cover off the tranny as the manual explains? I assume for
clearance.
Jim Henningsen
62 TR4
75 TR6
Ocala, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex&Janet Thomson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:15 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Engine Install

Jim - I installed an engine/transmission combination into our TR6 using a
tractor loader as the hoist. I'm not saying I would recommend it to others,
but that's what we had at the time. Definitely a little hairy when
attempting to achieve the proper angle, etc., but it worked for us. I think
I would prefer working with the transmission mounting block rather than
guiding the input shaft to the pilot bushing, etc. Also, you have a lot more
leverage when grabbing onto the transmission tail as opposed to the rear of
the engine block. Good luck.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Henningsen
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Engine Install

The TR4 factory repair manual states to attach the engine and tranny
together outside of the car and then install into the car as a single unit.
I have always seen it done engine first, block the rear of the motor to
battery tray and jack underneath and then attach tranny from inside the car.
What do you all recommend is the best way to go when all is out of the car.
The car is stripped and beginning the process of putting everything back
together.  I have an engine hoist balance so I can adjust to create proper
45 degree angle.  Just curious and thanks for everyone's patience as my
questions mount while the car goes back together.

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive