Subject: Re: [TR] it runs again

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 12:53:15 -0400

Dave.

When you unscrew the wing nut at the bottom of the sediment bowl, do 
hold on to the glass. Yes it will drop and break. But it is quite thick 
and if you had a mat underneath I am sure it would be ok.

There is originally a cork gasket between the bowl, a screen and the 
pump body. That may be dry and cracked. There are rubber replacements 
that work much better. Not rubber but something rubber like.

Always good to make progress on a project.

Bob

On 05/09/2013 11:28 PM, Dave wrote:
> TCF 1402 L ran again tonight after I donbt know how many years.  we think it
> was restored years ago (donbt really know) then left in a storage unit.  btw
> they really skimped on the paint job (sigh)
>
> after changing the oil, a new starter, unsticking the back float,  cleaning
> out the gas line and putting some petrol in the tank, it ran with some help
> from some starter fluid to get it going.
>
> it leaks quite a bit from the bottom of the sediment bowl at the fuel pump so
> obviously I need to get that taken care of.  likely just a gasket?  if I
> unscrew the little wingnut at the bottom, it will (fall out and break) come
> out easily enough?  and the gasket goes around the top?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:05:43 -0700

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ... it leaks quite a bit from the bottom of the sediment bowl at the fuel
> pump so
> obviously I need to get that taken care of.  likely just a gasket?

Hopefully a new gasket will stop the leak but sometimes a PO has tightened
that bale a bit too enthusiastically and caused the portion of the casting
that is the top of the bowl to bow a bit making it hard to get a good
seal.  The pump is a sort of pot metal and bends rather easily, but when I
have encountered such a bow I have been able to rebend the top back into
nearly flat condition.

Geo

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:23:00 -0500

Ibm not wanting to start a debate on oil, oil weights,  zddp, or dinosaur
juice vs synthetic.

Ibm merely imparting what I discovered today.

I use valvoline 20w50 full synthetic racing oil in my cars.  it has zddp.

it is available from amazon by the case (of 6), for less than my local flaps,
and free shipping because its over $25 per case.  you do pay sales tax