Subject: [TR] 'O' ring material

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:00:59 +0000 (UTC)

List, 

What is the recommended for 'O' rings exposed to fuels with ethanol content? 

Thanks, 

Ed Woods 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Gary Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 13:28:57 -0400

Ed,

Use O-rings made of Viton.  You can buy small quantities from Marco Rubber.

Gary

'80 TR8 w/ A/C

'75 TR6

Severn, MD

Digest

----------------------------

> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:00:59 +0000 (UTC)

> From: [email-masked]

> To: triumph list <[email-masked]>

> Subject: [TR] 'O' ring material

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:04:23 -0700

I have been using O-rings made of  Buna-nitrile (Buna-N) from Ace Hardware
in my (ZS) carbs and they have not leaked or otherwise failed.

Just my experience, should not be taken as Gospel.

Geo

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:18:11 -0400 (EDT)

According to McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-o-ring-materials/=mnd19n

Viton is Excellent for gasoline but poor for alcohol so with more and more 
ethanol being added to the fuel this may not be a good choice.  Neoprene is 
only fair with gasoline but good with alcohol.  Polyurethane is good with 
both but rates poor for compression set.  It looks like flurosilicone is the 
best choice.  If you can find any.

Dave