Subject: Re: [TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 08:51:28 -0700

I switched to DOT 5 on an existing system, no new parts. It was at a tune n
tech (professional garage with good equipment) so we pumped out the old and
pumped in the new. Did remove the reservoir (TR3A) because there was so much
gunk in it that we wanted to get out. Otherwise, no flushing and many years
later and I haven't touched it again.
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 7:55 AM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif

Getting ready to help a friend move to DOT5 brake fluid and the question
arose as how to best flush the system and cylinders.  I have always started
with an empty system on a re-build and have never addressed a changeover.
 
He was told to flush alcohol throught the system afer draining the DOT3 to
help rid any dampness in the system, but I wondered if it will damage any of
the rubber bits.
 
Also, I don't see how we can get 100% of the DOT3 out, there is bound to be
some residue, will there be a serious compatibility issue with a slight mix
of the different types?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 12:59:30 -0500

I changed from Dot 3 to Dot 5 about a year ago on a pretty fresh brake system.
I flushed the Dot 3 out with copious amounts of alcohol, then blew out the
alcohol and ran air for a while to dry things out.  Dot 5 went into an empty
system.  It was a very clean system to begin with, and I've seen no ill
effects on seals.