Subject: [TR] TR3 Headlamp "Pull my hair out' Issues

From: "Carl-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 21:48:12 -0400

The project is moving along..  ran into a 'stumper' this afternoon.

See
http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/TR3AwiringCM_16LampCircuitSM
ALL.png.html  (email if problems viewing it)

I have all wired as in the link - but nothing happens when I flip the
switch.

Checked the fuses - ok

Checked juice from the switch - ok

Checked the live wire going into the fuse block - ok

But no lights.  

Wires feed into standard H/L pigtail.  

Grounded at Horn Tower connection.   Just in case - put a jumper from ground
lead directly to battery - no difference.

Anything wrong with my schematic?    

Next step is to disconnect at relays and bypass - but I can't believe that
both relays are bad.

Any insight is appreciated..

Carl

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO

 <http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/> http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 

Still being restored - but 2013 looks like the year..

Tampa, FL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 08:45:21 -0400 (EDT)

The wiring diagram looks right.

A couple of quick questions: Can you hear the relays activate/deactivate 
when you operate the switch?  If the relays are not working make sure you have 
12 volts across the windings of the relays.  (Just in case you didn't 
figure this out the little circles with the + signs are ground connections.  It 
took me a few seconds to figure that out)  Also make sure the relays are 
wired up correctly.  If you swapped the winding and contact connections either 
nothing will happen or you will pop fuses.  Also make sure the headlights 
themselves are grounded.

Does the high beam indicator on the dash work?

If you have a volt meter measure the light blue and/or purple wires where 
they connect to the relays.  Put the other meter lead to ground.  Do you get 
12 volts there?

Lastly (or maybe firstly), make sure the dipper switch is functional.  
Nothing will work it that is shot.

Dave