Subject: Re: [TR] 1958 TR3A at GullWing Motors

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:38:16 -0400

Must be a rare prototype!

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:26 PM
To: 'Listserv Triumph'
Subject: [TR] 1958 TR3A at GullWing Motors

I used to think these folks understood cars and values...... This is a
$4500. car?  Maybe they missed a decimal place?

http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1958-triumph-tr3-convertible-c-952.htm?sear
chtype=bymm
<http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1958-triumph-tr3-convertible-c-952.htm?sea
rchtype=bymm&make=TRIUMPH&model=ALL&bodytype=ALL>
&make=TRIUMPH&model=ALL&bodytype=ALL&

Absolutely NFI,
BB

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:45:14 -0400

I am impressed with the clever use of steel shelving struts to rebuilt the 
chassis.
I guess if you wait long enough you will see just about anything.
Dave Connitt

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "'Listserv Triumph'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:26 PM
Subject: [TR] 1958 TR3A at GullWing Motors

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:00:56 -0600

> $4500. car?  Maybe they missed a decimal place?

Oh.my.goodness.  If one were to buy (if they were still available) all 
new parts necessary to make up a complete car, it would probably cost 
less than it would take to put this car right.  Now, I can see taking 
this on as a challenge, if one had nothing else to do and had a lot of 
spare cash, but, geez, the least they could do would be to give a guy a 
couple of hundred bucks to help with the towing, instead of trying to 
charge cash money for this, uh, umm, uh (nope, car isn't quite right, is 
it?), umm, _approximation_ of an automobile.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 22:34:51 -0500

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine, a vintage fountain pen dealer,
told me about a conversation early in his career.

He was selling perfectly good, and reasonably collectible, Parker "51"
fountain pens for something like $125.  Some of the old guard dealers
came to him to let him know his prices were too low -- that they were
all selling those pens for something like $250.

Bob laughed at them.  He said "you're ASKING $250 for them.  I'm
SELLING them at $125."  The guys went back to their tables muttering,
stuck to their guns, and continued to bring the same pens to every
show.  And Bob has financed his retirement with his ability to know
what something's worth.

To those folks holding out hope that something will be worth a given
value just because they REALLY want it to be... good luck to them.
They should plan on keeping whatever it is a very long time.

On 5/14/13, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:12:31 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Porter mused:

Oh.my.goodness.  If one were to buy (if they were still available) all
new parts necessary to make up a complete car, it would probably cost
less than it would take to put this car right.

 I don't think anyone is still casting wet-liner blocks or gearbox cases, and
I suspect that new rear axle housings also are not readily available. But one
can get complete, new bodies out of England, chassis from RAT-CO...and just
about everything else from the usual suspects. Given the asking price on some
current "show" cars, I think Michael's assessment is spot-on!

Several years ago, I was surprised and pleased to have been offered $1500 for
one of my TR3As. It needed pretty much EVERYTHING, but it was "showroom"
compared to the "Gullwing" car. The other 3A I had wasn't quite as good, and I
got $700 for that (including a hardtop that needed a lot of work but was
straight and fairly solid).

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us