Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:29:31 -0700

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ..."Most of us are finding that the timing is set a lot further
> forward(than 4 degrees BTDC).  Like about 12 to 14 degrees"...
>
> So, the question would be, where are you setting the idle timing on your
> TR2-4?  Does this much advance make sense?

Not to me.   I set static by the book then adjust as needed to eliminate
pinging/knocking.  At most that is a couple of degrees.

After I'm done I put a timing light on it to see where the timing is at
high RPM when the advance is all-in... just to assure myself that this is a
reasonable number.  I do that because pinging would be hard to hear at high
RPM so best to be sure it isn't too advanced.

Of course 3s & 4s have different advance curves -- but if the 120-140 is a
static setting I would think the results would not be good.

OTOH -- if they are setting the timing at idle using a timing light that is
a very different matter as centrifugal advance comes on pretty early,
starting before typical idle speed.

http://tinyurl.com/kwkf4hk

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 22:38:55 -0500

My timing is full-stop retarded at 500 RPM where I check it with the light
at 5 degrees BTDC.  I don't have any pinging issues and run mid-grade
petrol.

I have been trying all areas as I have had a hesitation that has been
driving me nuts for the past year.  Even after 30 minutes of driving, it
will want to stall off a stop sign or light.   Thinking back to some
previous posts from the list, Terriann comented with the possiblilty that
the condensor & points could be an issue.  I have periodically cleaned and
set the points but never replaced the condensor since I have had the car.
Bottom line:  Pulled the points and gave them a good cleaning with a
sharping stone and replaced the condensor.  Tarbaby is now running like a
champ off every stop, I can't believe I have overlooked the condensor for so
long.

I love this list!!

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
 <http://www.triumphowners.com/1566> www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
Keep Calm and Carry On

  _____

From: Geo Hahn [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 8:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Timing advance

After I'm done I put a timing light on it to see where the timing is at high
RPM when the advance is all-in... just to assure myself that this is a
reasonable number.  I do that because pinging would be hard to hear at high
RPM so best to be sure it isn't too advanced.

Geo