Subject: Re: [TR] Big Blow By -- TR3A

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:53:51 -0400

+1 for Randall.  I've got a blow by problem i need to address as well.

At stop signs i have good smoke coming out ....

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 23:27:51 -0500

I should think you will see traces of failue if it is indeed the head
gasket.  Have you given the head and the #4 valves a good check and test?
Stand the head on edge with the ports facing up and pour some gas into them
and look for a leak.  Maganaflux the head, could be a crack that you can't
see when it is cold.

If you broke a ring, I should look for signs of scoring in the bore.  You
didn't mention if this is something that came on quickly or over time.  A
burned piston will usually leave debris on the plug electrode.  You might
even pour an inch of gas into the cylinder and see how fast it seeps
through, don't forget to change the oil.

This is a perfect example as to why everyone should have a spare TR in the
garage, enjoy your TR4 this weekend.

All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Geo Hahn
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:31 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Big Blow By -- TR3A

My TR3A engine is blowing lots of smelly but only slightly visible fumes out
of the breather tube.  Enough that is was clearly noticeable to those
unfortunate enough to be following me when I got on it.  My interpretation
was a massive amount of blow-by from one or more cylinders.

A compression check yielded:

1 - 135#
2 - 140#
3 - 135#
4 - 85#

Adding oil into #4 did not raise compression at all so I thought it unlikely
to be the rings.

A leak down test on #4 sent copious amounts of air out the breather tube.

Took the head off this morning -- no hole in #4 piston and the gasket shows
no noticeable (to my eye) signs of failing around #4 cylinder.

Anyway, head gasket failures I have had have always been either coolant into
the cylinder or combustion products into the coolant -- the rim of the
cylinder is a (relatively) long way from the oil galleys.

I will note that the projection of the liners above the deck is very slight
so I do plan to use 'Randall's Fire Ring' 26awg copper wire enhancement on
the next gasket.

Now my choices -- put an 'improved' head gasket back on, torque the head
down and do another leak-down test or...

Open up the bottom end and push #4 piston out to see what the rings look
like.

Would a broken ring produce the problem & numbers I am seeing?

Is there something else I am completely missing?

Thanks for any advice, guesses or sympathy.

Geo

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 08:23:36 -0700

Wellsir, this isn't so pretty --

http://tinyurl.com/auxpb6d

The very good news is that the cylinder wall appears undamaged -- a very
slight scuff that I can see but cannot feel.

Seems I have only recovered about 1/4 of the missing ring -- makes me
wonder where the rest went.  I have not done a thorough exam of the oil
though I do use a strong magnetic drain plug that had no pieces on it.  It
could have also launched itself somewhere as I was under the car when I
popped the piston out.  Of course this problem could pre-date the prior oil
change (can't recall when I started using the magnetic plug).

The engine ran so well (even with this problem) that I am inclined to
address the immediate issue in the most direct way -- I assume that would
be a used 83mm piston -- rather than pursuing new parts that come is sets
of 4.

BTW -- when I say 'ran so well' I mean revved easily and cruised happily at
70-75 mph.  I no doubt had some power loss with the compression drop but
nothing I couldn't overcome with my right foot.

As always -- advice & education are what I'm looking for.

Geo

-----Original Message-----

> of the breather tube.