Subject: Re: [TR] Tr4a miata seats

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 06:33:46 -0400

The Patton adapters allow for the rear of the seats to be slid inward. They
pivot around the inner front mounting point.

The seats just barely clear the top frame on the drivers side. There is room
for another 1/2" of inward travel at the rear of both seats. And the fronts
seem about right.

Two of the mounts are quite hard to tighten for the 7/16" bolt to the floor
because the bolt head is close to surrounding metal and a little covered by
the miata track above

As my carpet compresses, I may be able to gain a little more inward travel at
the rear. Also a thin aluminum plate shim under the two outer adapters on the
drivers side would tilt the top inward a bit. A 1/8" shim would probably do
it

The adapters were easy to use. My seats are 1997's and it would appear that
there was a change in the track design on one rail on each side  There was a
stop added to the rear of one track. This made them add a strengthening roll
to the edge of the metal. I did not cut off the stops, but I did  have to
grind down the roll so the adapter would sit properly on the rail. Not a
problem. It took a couple of minutes for each side.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2013, at 10:38 PM, "John & Pat Donnelly" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I bought Uncle Jack's original Miata conversion kit many years ago, but the
> seats hit the B-post when pushing the seat back and limit travel. I
continue
> to use my homemade aluminum plate conversion.
> Does the Patton adapters have this problem?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 08:35:47 -0400 4iYTdcy5EmCn806cZlFa4m/Yn1xyerDiwqel3kTppPcd9wXfap qTeRhshWk8tC/Iff7W6MclTUEfNMK8BfgPdSphXpDdSF84Y2lw /y5JV6B3Igp3OFY6WZxQnKQC0SCJ+veAOGgmo2zW8miih/V+D0 RXpixlEGtDZV0IUgRlxN070vA9hqEsxZOk0Gt8KNJvNqELmA2C E9W5TnmPl+/r7vj28WCyTr1SqvYrxacVmPZyy7qY0I6XL7WlKk CsYvNqxwjZPm5sPd8vA2qrexpcygNIwq91NEgjrJWp5W9Y34ln 8sFr/QtAq2kv+MwyzPxOiE6zDMqbkiel6ibzmK4+C

I made my own adapters, had a set of the ARE adapters and then nagged Rick 
Patton for two years to come up with a creative, easy to use set of 
brackets. If you go through here 
(http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/PattonMiataBrackets.htm) you'll see the 
whole development process.

The Miata seats are wide but with these brackets, they will slide past the B 
pillars.............rubbing against them the whole way. It's not a bracket 
issue but a seat width issue.

Tony mentions a seat rail change to his '97 seats that added a stop on one 
of the tracks. My seats are from a '93 and also have that stop and I didn't 
have to do any grinding to get the rail to clear the stop. I guess it 
depends on how your seats were treated during it's Miata life. I also spent 
a lot of time in the Miata.net Forum getting specs on the various year seats 
and was told that the surfboard style seat rails stayed the same from the 
beginning to 1997 and were totally interchangeable over those years.

It takes some time to get the brackets & seats all lined up and installed 
but once done, you can remove or install the seats with four bolts in about 
5 minutes each. It's so easy that I take the seats out the vacuum under 
them!

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

-----Original Message----- 
From: Anthony Rhodes
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:33 AM
To: John & Pat Donnelly
Cc: Triumphs List
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr4a miata seats

As my carpet compresses, I may be able to gain a little more inward travel 
at
the rear. Also a thin aluminum plate shim under the two outer adapters on 
the
drivers side would tilt the top inward a bit. A 1/8" shim would probably do
it