Subject: Re: [TR] gauges- wiggling and bouncing

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:27:46 -0500

Sure sounds like the oil pressue guage has something loose inside.  But,
before I would pull it out for repairs I would first remove the pressue
adjusting ball & Spring from the filter unit and make sure it is all clean.
After re-installing it, adjust the pressure up and down to see how affects
the actions of the guage.

But, probably it's the guage.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 4:22 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] gauges- wiggling and bouncing

Figured out part of the speedometer/cruise control issue.  I had a clamp on
the cable about six inches from sender on the Speedo side.  Apparently I had
it to tight.  With the speedometer cable disconnected from speed sender the
cruise works great.  With everything connected again the needle moves about
+- 1 mph and the cruise control doesn't seem to mph.

I am going to pull the speedometer and check it out as the insides seem to
be moving around a bit.

Now to figure out the oil pressure gauge.

Brad
Sent from my HTC Inspireb" 4G on AT&T

----- Reply message -----
From: "Brad Kahler" <[email-masked]>
To: "Triumphs" <[email-masked]>
Subject: gauges- wiggling and bouncing
Date: Fri, May 3, 2013 2:47 pm
Two of the gauges on my 63 TR4 are acting up.
The first is the oil pressure gauge which is the mechanical type. B The
readings seem to be accurate but the needle quivers or vibrates like crazy.
B It seems to do it at all pressures. B I don't know that I've ever seen a
mechanical oil pressure gauge do this. B Any thoughts?

The second problem is the speedometer. B The needleB fluctuates about 1 to 4
mph while driving. I'm certain it's the speedometer cable. B The cable is
brand new and is a two piece cable with a speed sensor inline for the cruise
control. B I didn't lubricate the cable before installation assuming since
it was new it shouldn't need anything. B When I say new, I had it custom
made by a speedometer shop in Denver. B A short 8" section from the
transmission to the speed sensor and then a longer one from the sensor to
the gauge. B There are no sharp bends in the cable and B to the best of my
knowledge it follows the same routing as the original.

The cable is providing to much speed variation for the cruise control to
work properly.
Assuming it needs lubricating, what's the best lubricant for the speedometer
cable?

Thanks,
Brad1963 TR4

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 20:55:45 -0400

Bill,

I hadn't thought about the oil pressure relief spring.  In this case it
would be easier for me to swap gauges which I do have a spare!

I'll probably swap this weekend to see what happens.

Thanks!

Brad

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sent from my HTC Inspireb " 4G on AT&T
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: