Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Install

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:44:29 -0500

<...The TR4 factory repair manual states to attach the engine and tranny
together outside of the car and then install into the car as a single
unit....>

Jim,

While I have never installed an engine w/o the tranny I have pulled and
installed the tranny a couple of times from inside the car and I have pulled
and installed the engine/tranny combo a couple of times as well.  Much
easier to get the engine/tranny together and buttoned up  before you install
it.  Sounds like you have the right tools for the job, I would also
recommend that you get the car up on blocks/stands to give you maximum
clearance under the car as the tranny comes down at angle and the engine
needs room in front for it to come to level.

Hope this helps,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Henningsen
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Engine Install

The TR4 factory repair manual states to attach the engine and tranny
together outside of the car and then install into the car as a single unit.
I have always seen it done engine first, block the rear of the motor to
battery tray and jack underneath and then attach tranny from inside the car.
What do you all recommend is the best way to go when all is out of the car.
The car is stripped and beginning the process of putting everything back
together.  I have an engine hoist balance so I can adjust to create proper
45 degree angle.  Just curious and thanks for everyone's patience as my
questions mount while the car goes back together.

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:51:08 -0600

I prefer installing them as a unit.

mjb.

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:14:32 -0400

Jim - I installed an engine/transmission combination into our TR6 using a
tractor loader as the hoist. I'm not saying I would recommend it to others,
but that's what we had at the time. Definitely a little hairy when
attempting to achieve the proper angle, etc., but it worked for us. I think
I would prefer working with the transmission mounting block rather than
guiding the input shaft to the pilot bushing, etc. Also, you have a lot more
leverage when grabbing onto the transmission tail as opposed to the rear of
the engine block. Good luck.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:34 PM

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL  

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 19:54:08 -0400

Thanks for the responses.  If installing as a combined unit did you need to
take the top cover off the tranny as the manual explains? I assume for
clearance.
Jim Henningsen
62 TR4
75 TR6
Ocala, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex&Janet Thomson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:15 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Engine Install

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:55:41 -0700

On May 31, 2013, at 4:54 PM, James Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If installing as a combined unit did you need to

I never have, though I see how it might help.  Just get one of those devices
that lets you tilt the engine, and it isn't hard to get the tail low enough.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 18:58:23 -0500

I didn't on the TR3, just the shifter.  Clearance gets close when you hit
the point of straightening out the unit for final touchdown, this is why I
try to raise the car 5"-10" on blocks(please be sure they are sound).

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Henningsen
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Install

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex&Janet Thomson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:15 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Engine Install

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL  

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 20:16:17 -0400

Thanks for the responses. You all are the best
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:58 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Engine Install

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex&Janet Thomson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 6:15 PM
To: 'James Henningsen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Engine Install

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4

75 TR6

Ocala, FL