Subject: [TR] TR3A/TR6 Rattling Trans

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

I have a TR6 transmission with A-type overdrive in my TR3A. I probably
have 80,000 miles on it. It has been rattling under load for a couple of years
now. When I change the oil yearly it comes our clear with no swarf on the
plug, so I haven't worried too much.
     The rattling seems to be getting
louder now and causes me concern. At what point do I pull the trans and
rebuild it? Is it worrisome enough to pull it now that the driving season is
here or can I wait until next winter and take it on as a winter project? What
can happen if I keep driving it? Are the trans as rugged as the little tractor
engines? They seem to limp on forever.
     Also, I read in Bob Schaller's
excellent book "More BS About Triumphs" that I should replace the needle
bearings with bronze bushings. Has anyone else done this? Any comments?
    
TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive