Subject: [TR] pulley belt 1960 TR3A

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:43:14 -0400

I managed to lose the water pump/alternator belt on my 60 TR3A this morning
(installed 5 years ago).

When I go down to my friendly neighborhood auto parts store, what size should
I purchase??

Thanks

John

John Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 TR3A
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/TR3A.html

1977 Porsche 911S ('86 3.2 engine)
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Porsche.html

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:21:00 -0700

> I managed to lose the water pump/alternator belt on my 60 
> TR3A this morning (installed 5 years ago).
> 
> When I go down to my friendly neighborhood auto parts store, 
> what size should I purchase??

What belt did you use for the alternator conversion?  When I had an
alternator on my TR3A, I had to run a slightly longer belt than stock due to
the larger alternator.

A Gates TR28386 will fit the stock generator setup; but the odds of finding
one on the shelf at a generic store aren't very good.  I'd call around
first.  I found one NAPA store about 30 miles away that had one on the shelf
about 10 years ago, but it was really dusty and they said they wouldn't
stock it any more.

Now I just mail order through Rockauto.com, and keep a spare belt wrapped in
a Ziploc bag (along with a set of radiator hoses) in the spare tire.

-- Randall