Subject: [TR] Tr3 temp gage

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 22:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,
     I just went through this myself. I was getting ready to send my
temp gauge in to West Valley Instruments. It was $150 to rebuild the gauge or
$200 if it needed a complete new bordon tube. I have already had the gauge
rebuilt twice before during the last 15 years. I found that the early TR4
gauge looked identical to the TR3 gauge, but used an electric gauge so I
bought one of them for $150 and spent about another $30 on parts to install
it. It was a risk buying a used gauge, but it all worked out. With no bordon
tube it should last much longer, hopefully several more decades.
     Wayne
Bier at Triumphs Only (I know, I know - lots of bad reviews from the list)
charges something like $150 for the used/no guarantee early TR4 gauge + your
TR3 gauge in exchange. No exchange gauge? Then no deal. He will also sell you
a rebuilt gauge for something like $250 + your old gauge in exchange.
     The
TR4 gauge requires a voltage stabilizer and sending unit. Moss has both. TR4
wiring diagrams are on the web.
     I kept my old TR3 gauge as a spare.
   
 There is also a guy selling "clone" TR3 temp gauges on Ebay for like $75.
They look almost identical except where it is supposed to say "Jaeger" it say
"British Made". These look okay to me as well.
     I like my TR4 route.

 Bill in Tehachapi

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Tr3 temp gage
Message-ID:
   
<20130531132946.eacca00412c4e976446146f9b5e47255.c6a8a1310e.mailapi@mailapi06
.secureserver.net>

Late tr3. 
Have not had the car long.  Finally running and driving today.
Looks like all
the gages except tach and temp are finally working.  Tach
screams; its
probably bad.  Temp gage is lifeless.  Other than confirming its
lack of
response by puting the sensor in hot water, is there anything else I
can do? 
I guess I have to send the gage and tube out?  Any other options?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive