Subject: [TR] Front Camber Adjustment - TR3

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:43:15 -0700

After a long layup, I finally got my TR3 on the road again and noticed that
the passenger side wheel has about 1/2" of positive camber - which is about
3/4" the wrong way.

I don't see any adjustment to make.  Any ideas what happened?

We did have the transmission out several times during the layup - is it
possible that the engine may have bent the suspension tower at some point if
was unsupported at the rear?

No rust to speak of (at all) so I don't think its anything like that, and
all of the suspension bushings are new.

I got no movement on the wheel with the front end jacked up.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:25:09 -0400

There is no adjustment for camber.  Did you replace the ball joints?  Some
aftermarket ball joints have the hole for the pin in the wrong position:  if
you do not tighten the whole way, you will end up with camber.  Apart from
this, you either had a major accident without knowing or the car has always
been like this.  I cannot see the suspension tower moving without some
serious trauma - and the cross member would probably reflect that.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Front Camber Adjustment - TR3

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:33:58 -0700

> After a long layup, I finally got my TR3 on the road again 
> and noticed that the passenger side wheel has about 1/2" of 
> positive camber - which is about 3/4" the wrong way.

Er, no, TR3s are designed with positive camber.  The spec is 2 degrees
(positive) "static laden", which is just about 1/2" measured across the
width of the wheel.

Sounds like your real problem is lack of camber on the driver's side.  Next
step might be to inspect the brace between the spring towers, as without the
brace the towers can definitely sag towards the center of the car,
decreasing the camber.  

In fact, it's an old racer's trick to make up a brace that is a little bit
shorter than stock, in order to get more negative camber while running in a
class that doesn't allow changes to suspension geometry.

Also look carefully at the upper A-arms, as they frequently crack and break
near the ball joint.

-- Randall

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 06:55:44 -0700

I have my cambers messed up (again) camber is negative on pass side positive
on drivers

Sent from my iPhone