Subject: Re: [TR] Rough runnig engine #2

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 12:56:55 -0700 (PDT)

having to walk !!!!!

From: Cosmo Kramer <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:49 PM
Subject: [TR] Rough runnig engine #2

Hi List!
What are the signs of needing to change points & condensor?

-Cosmo Kramer

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:10:09 -0400

Cosmo,

If you have a new set, it is the best sign if you suspect something is 
wrong. Only way to find out sometime is to start replacing with new or 
trusted parts.

Bob

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:41:58 -0700

When a condenser is going out the engine will start the odd miss which 
will become more frequent then to the point where it is missing enough 
that the vehicle will hardly idle.

If points short or open up (I've never seen this on a vehicle with 
functioning points)  the engine will immediately die.

If points slip the engine will have less power and stumble all over 
itself whenever you try to apply power.  It might start & idle OK but 
the engine stumbles if you try to apply power. Currently available 
points are nowhere as good as they used to be.  Check for pitting & 
buildup on the point surfaces. Resurface with a jewelers flat file if 
needed. Reset the point gap.  Most of the time the point gap has 
slipped.  Frozen mechanical advance or bad vacuum advance can act like 
slipped points so be sure to check them as well.

While you have the cap off be sure to look for carbon tracking on the 
inside of the cap and for deep pitting. Make sure the centre contact is 
making contact with the rotor.  Sometimes the rotor can be sanded at the 
contact areas to get off carbon buildup.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:37:30 -0500

here are numerous links on how to test a coil from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=test+ignition+coil&oq=test+ignition&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l6j0i5l3.1673.5590.0.7288.15.14.1.0.0.0.135.1278.10j4.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Dsxu_v-lwdM

I know that mossmotors has a good one - you might search on that within 
youtube

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 23:07:32 +0100 (BST)

If its still rough after checking coil, points and condenser - or 'not quite
as rough' check the distributor cap for hairline cracks. I've replaced three
or four down the years when misfires and lack of power suggested duff points
or condensers. Those were OK but the dizzy caps weren't.
 
Jonmac
>________________________________
> From: Dave <[email-masked]>
>To: Triumph
List <[email-masked]> 
>Sent: Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 22:37
>Subject:
Re: [TR] Rough runnig engine #2
>http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=test+ignition+coil&oq=test+ignit
ion&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l6j0i5l3.1673.5590.0.7288.15.14.1.0.0.0.135.1278.10j4.1
4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Dsxu_v-lwdM
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive:
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]