Subject: [TR] Fender Attachment TR4

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 19:55:05 -0400

I am slowly getting my TR4 restoration project back together.  The factory
repair manual mentions using a sealant when installing the wings.  Has
anyone done that, if so, what did you use and what technique did you use.
The manual mentions applying to seam after wing installed from underneath.  

Thanks,

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4 CT5212LO

75 TR6

Ocala, FL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:00:39 -0700

> The manual mentions applying to seam after wing installed from underneath.

When I did my car, I chose not to use anything.  My reasoning was that sealer
would just create a place to trap moisture.

I do get some (dirty) water forced up around the trim strip, but it isn't a
big deal, and I rarely drive it in the rain, anyway.

If you do use something, there is a 3M product that comes in strips similar to
modeling clay.  That would be what I would use, if I used anything.  It
remains pliable, so you can get the wings back off easily if you need to.  I
used it to help seal the transmission cover, for instance.

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

---

From: "Brian Induni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 22:21:19 -0700

Hi Jim,

When I put the wings back on my TR4A, I used Butyl Rubber between the mating
surfaces. Sticky stuff (don't get it on your hands!), but pretty handy to
hold the chrome fender bead in place as you get the fender lined up. The
butyl rubber comes in a tube that pops in a caulking gun, and a little bit
goes a long way. It stays soft and flexible. I've done it this way on a lot
of other restorations I've done over the years and I will continue to do it.

Brian

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 19:55:05 -0400
From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Fender Attachment TR4

Thanks,

Jim Henningsen

62 TR4 CT5212LO

75 TR6

Ocala, FL

------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 07:48:15 -0400 (EDT)

I used a bead of rope calk in the seam.  In other words apply the calk to 
the surface that will contact the inner wing before installation so that the 
calk will fill the gap excluding water.  As you know, this is a three layer 
metal sandwich that will wick up water and rust in spite of your efforts to 
seal it off after the fact.  Your best defense is 1) a good coat of paint on 
all the surfaces (the factory only had primer on those surfaces) and B) a 
sealant to exclude water.  

I did both and 17 years later I have no evidence of rust in those areas.

Dave