Subject: [TR] death rattle???

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 20:45:06 -0500

I know, I may be hopelessly naive here.

I picked up a tr3b about a month ago and just tonight finally got it to
catch.

a most horrible sound.  it was that sound like your starter makes when you try
to start the car and its already running.

it only made that noise when the car started to catch, or in this case did
catch and ran for a few seconds on the diet of starter fluid sprayed down its
throat.  gas line is disconnected.  and clogged.  and fuel pump probably
shot.

Ibm guessing bearings?

Ibm going to ask this question mostly because I simply donbt know.  the
starter is brand new, right out of the box.  old starter was decimated
according to the repair guy.

I know the solenoid tells the starter when to engage.  does it also tell the
starter when to disengage?  is it possible the solenoid, which is that thing
with the button that sits up on the firewall, is not telling the starter to
disengage, and that is the cause of the horrible noise?  should I replace it?

just wanted to ask.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Michael Marr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 21:02:46 -0500

What does "decimated" mean, in regards to the starter?  I would definitely
take a look at the ring gear on the flywheel.  You may have some worn or
broken teeth.

Also, the solenoid just starts the starter motor turning.  It will turn as
long as you hold the key in the "start" position.  As soon as you release
the key, the starter will stop turning and the pinion will kick out of
engagement with the ring gear.  If the pinion assembly is worn, (Item 58 on
page 83 of the Spring/Summer 2012 Moss Catalog) the pinion could stick in
engagement with the ring gear, giving the "start"-ling noise that you
describe.

>
> Ibm going to ask this question mostly because I simply donbt know.
> the starter is brand new, right out of the box.  old starter was
> decimated according to the repair guy.
>
 Mike