Subject: [TR] TR3A alternator belt again

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 07:30:44 -0400

I could not get the belt suggested by my last inquiry at my friendly local
auto parts store.  So I ordered the best belt offered by Moss (Flennor
20x0900LI) to replace the failed belt on my alternator equipped 1960 TR3A.  It
does not come close in length, even when prying it as suggested in their
instructions.    It was probably intended for the much narrower generator.   I
forgot that difference in width would limit the amount it could be adjusted.
Duh

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a pulley belt that will fit a TR3A
with an alternator?

Thanks

John

John Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 TR3A
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/TR3A.html

1977 Porsche 911S ('86 3.2 engine)
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Porsche.html

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:40:40 -0700

> Does anyone have any other suggestions for a pulley belt that 
> will fit a TR3A with an alternator?

Pull a string around the pulleys, and mark the length.  Take the string to a
local, independent auto parts store (not one of the big chains) and explain.
They'll let you try several belts until you find one that fits.  The string
will, of course, be shorter than the belt you need (because the string lays
in the bottom of the vee while the belt has to ride against the sides) but
only by an inch or so.

-- Randall