Subject: [TR] TR6 - Front Axle Upgrade kits

From: Allan Reich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:06:56 -0700

Greetings:
My TR6 has the Front Axle Upgrade Kit , available from a number of 
suppliers, installed by previous owner. These are the kits that include 
an extension that fits over the axle between the inner and outer 
bearings to consolidate the axles and the bearings (an example is Moss 
661-293).
I discovered this after I blew a front bearing and took everything apart.
I replaced both side's  front bearing sets (inner, outer, including 
races) but had trouble on each.
I found set-up instructions on the web.
When doing the fit without the seals, the passenger side was loose 
without any shims, so I just removed the stiffners and set up as normal 
bearings.
When doing the driver side, it set up well with two shims without the 
seal. When I put the tire rotates but with lots of effort.
I have a few questions:
     1. Who makes these kits and can I contact them with questions?
     2. Can I machine down the loose extender to make it tighter and 
where would I find shims?
     3. Will the driver side loosen up over time and act normally?
Allan Reich
1975 TR6 CF30255U (+O)
Vancouver, Canada

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:29:23 -0700

>      2. Can I machine down the loose extender to make it 
> tighter and where would I find shims?

Yes it can be machined.  In fact, you can probably do it yourself, with a
flat surface and a sheet of fine sandpaper.  Any industrial supply house
should have shims, though you'll need to find the appropriate sizes
yourself.  Note that it's better to have thicker shims if possible; the
.003" and smaller can sometimes tear in service.

>      3. Will the driver side loosen up over time and act normally?

Loosen up, yes.  But failure won't be far behind.  Either remove the spacer
or add the shims before you try to drive the car.

Randall