Subject: Re: [TR] Anti rattle

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:09:13 -0700

> After many miles of trying to trace an annoying rattle under the
> dashboard, it would appear to be the steering shaft inside the column

Are you sure it's the shaft against the column, and not the stator tube
against the shaft?  The shaft & column are pretty stiff, IMO it would take a
lot of vibration to get them to touch; but the stator tube is much more
flexible.

> How big a task is removing/fitting 
> the anti-rattle bits with the column in place?

Hmm, interesting question.  Doing it "right" means removing the steering
shaft, which only comes out through the steering box, which means you'll
have to remove the front apron and jack the front of the car way up (so the
shaft doesn't hit the floor before it clears the column).  But I suspect
that with some determination, you could find a thin tube that would fit into
the space between the shaft & column and allow the rubber rings to be pushed
down from the steering wheel end.  You'd have to remove the wheel & the felt
bushing of course.  I'm not sure if the rings would stretch over the thicker
section that rides against the felt; you might have to slit them .
 
But I would definitely try replacing the felt first, as I think that will
likely solve your problem.  While it's apart, you can double-check that the
anti-rattle springs for the stator tube are present and accounted for.

As a side comment, the felt I got from TRF was too thick and resulted in
binding.  I probably should have tried to source some thinner felt, but
instead I turned up a Delrin bushing to fit.

-- Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive