Subject: Re: [TR] Rough running engine

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:08:38 -0400

Cosmo,

Use an ohm meter to check the coil. I cant remember the exact # of ohms 
but someone will post it I am sure.

On a stock 4A should be the same as a 3, 4 or up to 72 TR6.

Bob

On 05/15/2013 03:08 PM, Cosmo Kramer wrote:
> Hi List!
> How important is proper backpressure on the TRIUMPH engine running?
> Not on the body of a person.
>   
> My car is running rough, & I've all ready
> replaced the Battery (over 10Yr. old), & the coil with another that helped the
> car run better It's not new & I don't know how good it is because I was told
> that there is NO WAY it can be bench tested. Is this a true statement?
>
> -Cosmo
> Kramer

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:02:42 -0700

> that there is NO WAY it can be bench tested. Is this a true statement?
Malarkey!

There are automotive volt meters that measure the output of a coil. You 
place a connector between the coil centre and the coil centre wire and 
connect the meter's ground connection to ground.  Fire up the engine and 
it will tell you the voltage generated by your coil. Mind you worn 
points, incorrectly adjusted points a tired condenser and bade centre 
spark plug wire can cause a low voltage output at the coil.

Assuming your battery is fully charged you can get a rough idea with a 
simple spark test between the centre wire and ground (engine off, 
ignition on).

TeriAnn