Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 176

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 17:28:04 -0700

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> To protect the environment you might use a catch tank but
> another solution is to use a longer vertical length on the road draft tube
> so
> that less oil remains suspended in the air as it exits the road draft tube.

Adding the road draft sounds good but I would be wary of changing its
design by making it, in effect, longer.

I recall hearing a tale of a junior engineer modifying the road draft tube
on one of the factory cars (I think he was trying to clear some sort of
undershield that had been installed).  At speed the longer tube neatly
sucked the oil out of the crankcase.

The engine, presumably, was toast.  The engineer, presumably, found a job
selling shoes at Harrods.

Geo

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:39:39 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1369359538; bh=OuDUmmJ9KV/A9crz8GV1tU+LKW/3akxgGljzozCqy/A=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=ALZ67CCvC7ZzNxEDgkXDgQ/Kfy0ijGRSUg2uvCf4GMTtCzSQ2W9VQU02kzNTV6qTd XSGHdHrhYcRTD0ZMsZcJJhV2sqafZqRoF3miIaiplYEsUWZnVW/s2NK1Okb5Klozhv nnjPxfvX9vdVDDk1cyIFYGI/CVj3/8NBBzV9+bQjPRG21G2Rqm+4H+N7QDmp3+QpSy 5mVdmCMevXetd52MuVIKbVSZhoifBlwm0FfUozMXZe8RW3L4Ag1affawB7VuKQo35H +D7LyJ26OCABDpTWmOaqwEsjJ9K+B1DpuoF8LnLgycs/47qv1JVmSS92k8ZFvAoSk8 iDuv8xu+kyL4Q==

Hmmm, it would be hard to suck all the oil out because the road draft tube
does not go into the oil sump.  I sullose that if it were made with no upward
travel before turning 180 degrees to go downward, then it would be easier for
oil to spill out on a hard right hand turn.

I was not clear, I recommended a longer UPWARD  travel before the hairpin
turn.  That should make it less likely to have oil spill out., but a normal
road draft tube would be quite adequate too!

-Tony

From: Geo Hahn
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 176

Adding the road draft sounds good but I would be wary of changing its design
by making it, in effect, longer.

I recall hearing a tale of a junior engineer modifying the road draft tube on
one of the factory cars (I think he was trying to clear some sort of
undershield that had been installed).  At speed the longer tube neatly sucked
the oil out of the crankcase.

Geo