Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Starter

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:16:01 -0500

It appears to be in the proper position.  With the shaft sticking out 
the right side of the motor (as you have it in the picture), if you 
try to move the top of the gear toward you (anti-clockwise if you're 
looking at the motor with the shaft extended toward yourself)), the 
gear should move down the shaft toward the starter motor before it 
turns the shaft.  You should be able to push the gear toward the 
motor and have it slide down the shaft while turning a bit pretty easily.

Tony D

At 07:22 PM 4/5/2013, Carl TR wrote:
>I pulled the started this evening - not as difficult as I thought it 
>would be. (pulled carbs and came up through the top rather than below)
>it is dated July 65 not 68 - not that it matters.
>
>On the bench - the starter turns like a champ but there is no 
>movement of the bendix (and no 'launching'). Is it supposed to pull 
>back into the ring or push out.  The gear is extended from the starter body
>
>my starter:
>http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/Information%20Items/Lucas25550BStarter.jpg.html
>
>image from web with bendix partially back toward body.
>http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/Lucas25550BStarterBendix.jpg.html
>
>I tried to move it but nothing...  but I am not sure which way and 
>how to turn it.
>Is that the issue.  it is stuck 'out'?  Suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>
>Carl
>1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
>mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
>Tampa, Florida
>
>
>On 04/04/13, Randall
>wrote:
>
> > I do not recall a rubber coupler. Without taking it out, is there a way to
> > tell if I have an early or later starter? Lucas Part number on the box was
> > 25550 (it was new in box - date stamped July 1968).
>
>25550 is the later style starter. Has an exposed shaft some 6" long 
>with a big coil spring at the end. That coil spring provides the 
>cushion effect, in place of the bonded rubber drive used in the 
>earlier starters. The earlier starters also have a cast iron shroud 
>over the pinion gear. In this link, the upper LH starter image is 
>the later type, the upper RH is the earlier type.
>http://goo.gl/OAVnc
>(the photos aren't scaled quite the same, the motor section is about 
>the same diameter for both of them)
>
> > Is it possible to apply grease without taking it out - or should 
> I just plan
> > on taking on this task this Saturday.
>
>Sounds like you'll be busy on Saturday.
>
> > It might be obvious if I was looking
> > at the starter - but where?
>
>Turn the pinion gear with your fingers. One direction it should 
>force the shaft to turn, but the other direction should move the 
>Bendix first. When the Bendix moves, the gear moves closer to the 
>motor (assuming you have the later type starter). If it is at all 
>sticky or the shaft turns easier than the Bendix, then you've got a problem.
>
>You can also test it on the bench using a battery and jumper cables 
>to power it, but be certain the starter is securely anchored. It's 
>probably best to use the starter cable from the car to make 
>connection to the post, as otherwise the high current may damage the 
>post. The Bendix should extend the instant you apply power to the 
>starter (while it is trying to jump off the bench and land on your foot).
>
>It's also possible the drive has come apart completely, but 
>hopefully that is unlikely. Happened to me during a 2000 mile drive 
>many years ago, and by the time I got home the big spring had exited 
>through the side of the bellhousing, causing a crack that ruined the 
>entire gearbox housing.
>
>--- Randall
>
>** [email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive