Subject: [TR] Gas tak breather

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:52:50 -0400

List:

Just got around to stripping the latest restoration project and have a
question.

This TR3 has an attractive aluminum gas tank, but the breather tube is
broken where it attached to the tank itself - the banjo bolt was lying loose
and there is a hole atop the tank.  If the gas cap has a hole in it, how
important is it to have the breather tube?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 05:25:26 -0700

> Your gas cap has a hole in it?  Must not  be stock.  

Every TR3 cap that I have had, had a hole that appeared to be original.
Including the one kindly sent to me by a lister after the original got
stolen on my previous TR3A.  Not through the chrome part, obviously, but the
inner plate that actually covers the opening to the tank.
http://goo.gl/y5uCn

And I've been blocking off the tank vent since about 1975, when I noticed
that it dumped raw fuel onto the road when turning left with a full tank.
No apparent ill effects, even running at full throttle for extended periods
of time.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:46:41 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----

Randall,

There you go again, confusing us all with facts again!

Ed

> Your gas cap has a hole in it? B Must not B be stock. B 

Every TR3 cap that I have had, had a hole that appeared to be original.
Including the one kindly sent to me by a lister after the original got
stolen on my previous TR3A. B Not through the chrome part, obviously, but the
inner plate that actually covers the opening to the tank.
http://goo.gl/y5uCn

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:41:06 -0400 (EDT)

Randall et al,
 
Just checked what I believe to be an original gas cap on my '61 TR3A.   The 
cap is out and disassembled for rechroming.  There is no vent hole on  the 
inner plate nor anywhere else that I can find.  Just an FYI ... there  are 
apparently a number of versions out there.
 
Bill