Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump Placement?

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:38:32 -0400

Bill,

This was discussed a few years back and the majority feel the electric 
pump is best mounted as close to the gas tank outlet as possible.

So I mounted my pump on the 3 sort of in the outside lower back of the 
spare tire compartment on the drivers side. I made a 2 wire harness that 
runs down the drivers compartment and out one of the rubber plugs beside 
the gas tank.

I used Lucar connections on the pump wiring covered with that exterior 
wire harness plastic available at any FLAPS on the harness as it exits 
the body.

I replaced the fuel pump with one of those blanking plates made by one 
of the members here and then on top of that, I made a steel plate for a 
fuel regulator.

Inline filter before the pump and before the regulator.

Output of regulator to the standard fuel line (minus the fuel pump fitting).

Power comes from the coil.

Some members have left the fuel pump in, but since it was always a PITA 
always leaking etc., I decided to replace with a blank and regulator.

Others have installed some sort of cut off switch between power and the 
pump to turn off power in case of an accident.

I went with the FACET pump on my 3,4 and 6 and they work great.

Bob

On 04/16/2013 10:23 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Have decided that I am going to use an electric FP on the TR3B that is
> currently under construction.  Right now, I have engine in frame and have
> successfully had a couple of test starts using just the fuel in the float
> bowls.  Next step is get the fuel lines installed back to where the ta
> will someday be located.
>   
> To that end, I was wondering that the collective wisdom is on the location
> of an electric FP?
> 1. Engine compartment seem logical to me although just south of the tank
> seems good too, if a bit out of the way.

> 2. Frame or Body mounting?
> 3. Firewall or inner fender?
> 4. Mount in former mechanical FP location?
> 5. Anyone able to hide the electric FP and route the line through the old
> mechanical FP for authenticity?
> 6. Any other tips on usage or connections?
>   
> Any advice or cautions from you who have BTDT are greatly appreciated.
>   
> Thanks,
> Bill

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:19:19 -0700

Whatever you do, be sure to shock mount the pump to keep the vibration from
being amplified by the body or frame where it is mounted.  They are loud
enough without helping it along.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump Placement?

Have decided that I am going to use an electric FP on the TR3B that is
currently under construction.  Right now, I have engine in frame and have
successfully had a couple of test starts using just the fuel in the float
bowls.  Next step is get the fuel lines installed back to where the tank
will someday be located. 

 
Thanks,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566 <http://www.triumphowners.com/1566> 
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]