Subject: Re: [TR] tr3b

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 18:15:34 -0700

Dave -

I don't think it can be a 59.

You can't really see much when you lift the toilet seat cover on the spare
tire lid -- try just sticking the Dzus tool deep in there and see if it
engages something.

Congrats on your find.

Geo

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:

> hi.  I just brought home a tr3b.  guy really didnb t know what he had.  no
> rust (really!), decent interior, trunk fine, hasnb t run since?  but b
> b was running when parkedb   donb t you just love it?
>
> supposedly still positive ground, no side curtains, lousy paint.
>
> 2 questions -
>
> they claim itb s a 59?  is that possible?  TCF 1402 L
>
> and there is nothing behind the little dzus covers on the spare tire cover.
> how do I get it open?

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 22:41:29 -0400 (EDT)

Seeing as all the TSF and TCF cars were built between March and October 1962,
a 1959 build date just doesn't seem possible! :)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 4, 2013 8:45 pm
Subject: [TR] tr3b

hi.  I just brought home a tr3b....they claim itbs a 59?  is that possible?
TCF 1402 L

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:52:47 -0700

Congrats on your new find. If I were doing it over, I would put a shut off
valve at the bottom of the tank. That would allow working on any part of the
system without draining the tank.
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] tr3b

hi.  I just brought home a tr3b.  guy really didnbt know what he had.  no
rust (really!), decent interior, trunk fine, hasnbt run since?  but b
bwas running when parkedb  donbt you just love it?

2 questions -

they claim itbs a 59?  is that possible?  TCF 1402 L

thanks!

ps b will post pictures later tonight.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Roger Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:23:26 -0700

>From my information TCF 1402 L would be a 1962, manufactured after May when
they started installing the 2138cc  engine and all-synchro box

Roger
'60 TR3

-----Original Message-----

2 questions -

thanks!

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 14:50:07 -0500

now it makes sense.

the vin tag
http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr3b/DSCN7198.JPG
  clearly says 59!  funny.

for those of you who want to see it, http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr3b/

no sidecurtains.  oh, well.

---

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 15:28:11 -0500

Dave ,
How did you manage to get 1959 plates for a 1962 car?

Looks like a fun project.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Apr 6, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "Dave" <[email-masked]> wrote:

now it makes sense.

the vin tag

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 15:33:16 -0500

That car is a dead ringer for Tarbaby when I brought him home six years ago.
Looks like you have a good base for a fine restoration.
Bill

Sent from mobile Bill

now it makes sense.

the vin tag

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:15:36 -0400

they believed it was a 59, so they got 59 plates.  and this all happened 
years ago.

-----Original Message----- 
From: WBEECH
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:28 PM
To: Dave
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] tr3b

Dave ,

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:16:43 -0400

thanks, I think, for pointing that out.  that car has obviously been 
restored.  and, most unfortunately, they painted the engine red.  perhaps 
they thought it was roses . . .

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:25 PM
To: Dave
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] tr3b

You do have an appreciably better car to start from than the usual, it 
seems.

Question to the list:  Weren't the original engines painted black with, I 
forget, some kind of number 3 or something painted in a different color 
underneath?

Anyway, does the color of the engine paint suggest it's been rebuilt at one 
point?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire...Where I drove twice to work and back, and on the way home 
Friday, the top was down!

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 19:28:58 -0400 (EDT)

I knew of one pretty original TR3B out of Long Island whose long-time owner
swore the red engine was as originally delivered. I've heard other instances
of this as well, so who knows?

As for the "1959" on the commission number plate, I think that simply
indicated the year that that particular Corporation was formed (possibly
having something to do with the end of the agreement to build Ferguson
tractors or something like that? I know I've seen references buried somewhere
in one of the Triumph history books).

Nice looking 3B regardless!

--Andy Mace

---

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:19:44 -0400

Not from a 3B but a very late 3A...

Markings as original: 

http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/TS81802LO/00-EngineMarkings.
jpg.html 

I masked off the lettering when I painted the engine and then repainted them
trying somewhat successfully to match the brush strokes.  

http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/cfmtr3a/media/TS81802LO/05-EngineRe-marked
.jpg.html 

I have seen one other '3 engine painted red.  According to the owner it had
a different numbering code that indicated it was factory rebuilt.  I can't
remember for sure what was different about the engine number.

Carl

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO

 <http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/> http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 

Tampa, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:26 PM
To: Dave
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] tr3b

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

 

Archive:  <http://www.team.net/archive> http://www.team.net/archive

Forums:  <http://www.team.net/forums> http://www.team.net/forums

<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]