Subject: Re: [TR] Overheating Question

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:32:42 -0400

Before you pull the head, remember a rarely driven car or a car driven on
only short trips will likely have moisture and condensation in the valve
cover. Ive pulled a few valve covers and found some to alot of yellow gunk
in there.

I make sure i get a good long drive in at least once a month. Helps my
sanity, too.

Chris

 On Apr 28, 2013 9:53 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Investigating my overheating in the TR3A, I found loss of coolant in the
> radiator.  I checked the oil in the sump, but no white curdling suggesting
> water in the oil.  Pulling the valve cover, though, shows lots of water.
>
> Sounds like a head gasket, but wouldn't the water be in the sump too?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 13:51:02 -0400

If the car sits for a while the oil and water will separate and it won't 
look white.  Check the level of the oil.  If it is higher than normal there 
is water in the sump.
Pete

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Overheating Question

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:29:12 -0400

If there is lots of water when you pull the valve cover, there is likely to
be lots in the sump, too.  But before you pull the head, check the aluminum
plug in the head:  I once had a similar problem after an engine rebuild and
it turned out the plug had disintegrated and was leaking (and I hadn't
replaced it).  It's a much quicker and cheaper fix than just about all of
the others causes.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Overheating Question

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]