Subject: [TR] TR3A....7" versus 5 1/2" driving lights

From: Perry Hammock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:00:01 -0400

for a number of reasons, including covering up some very minor body damage,
i am going to install
driving lights on my 1960 tr3A. I have a set of NOS Lucas driving and fog
lights in the smaller 5 1/2 inch size.
I have wiring and relays already installed, thanks to advice from Randall
some time back.
Luckily the lights werent on the car when the doofus in teh jacked up
pickup basked into my car ( but ever so slightly)
it would be a bit more cosmetically helpful to use 7" lights. Birthday is
here, so the 7" lights would make a good present  ;-)

Car is a ten footer, driven often and fast. Do not want to start
shipwrights disease project because the whole body would need to be redone.
Just want to drive, not get into body work at this time. Will save the
insurance check for the total resoration when I find a perfect body.

Any comments about which looks/fits/works better?

thanks!

Perry HAmmock
60 tr3a

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:49:19 -0400

Perry,

Well, the 7" looks a little large to me, but it is a matter of your personal
preference

I came very close to mounting a pair of 7" hella driving lights. As I was
sitting working on shaping bracket templates., I started working out my energy
budget. I have a stock 22A generator. I concluded that with all the stock
equipment running, I could not sustain the extra power demand of two 100 watt
driving lights!

I think that this is why they mounted one driving light and one fog light. And
they were less than 55 watts each, and only one would be on at a time. An
extra 40 watts is sustainable, but not 200, IMHO. So I switched out my
original Lucas headlights, and installed some H4's. I measured the originals
to draw about only 40 watts and they were pretty dim. I figure the pair of new
55/60W headlights max out my generator and they are quite bright. No need for
driving lights.

But for decoration, some Lucas flamethrower driving lights would look
perfect!

-Tony

> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:00:01 -0400
> From: Perry Hammock <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [TR] TR3A....7" versus 5 1/2" driving lights
> Message-ID:
>