Subject: Re: [TR] Electric Fuel Pump Placement?

From: Chris Kantarjiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:11:44 -0700

My long-suffering TR4A came to me with a replacement mechanical fuel pump and a 
pretty bodged engine-compartment plumbing setup. One of the first tasks I 
undertook was to recreate the hard lines per the manual (I couldn't find a 
source for the pre-made parts).

Then I got to discover what many other TR4A owners had learned: the factory 
setup leads to vapor lock and hard starting when hot, because the fuel line is 
in the primary heat soak area above and behind the radiator.

And then I experience the classic fuel pump failure, where the cross-shaft 
comes out and lets the actuating arm drop into the sump. That was way too much 
fun. Lucky for me, no damage was done.

The Competition Prep manual suggested mounting the electric fuel pump in the 
driver's side rear wheel well, which I did: I put a cylindrical Facet pump on 
the vertical panel that rises up from the floor to the rear bench, using the 
rubber mounts. I used as much of the original on-frame plumbing as possible; I 
installed a toggle switch under the steering column as a kill switch and an 
in-line fuse.

I think that locating the pump near the fuel tank is a good idea, because these 
pumps really do push better than they pull. I had some experience with these 
pumps from my GT6+, and I decided that I wanted a filter and regulator. I was 
also flirting with Italian cars at that time, and they tended to have electric 
pumps in the rear with a FISPA filter/regulator in the engine compartment. So I 
mounted one of those on a blanking plate where the original mechanical pump was!

I also took this opportunity to run the fuel line to the carbs behind the 
engine, away from the radiator.

This part of the car, at least, has not given me any trouble since :-)

chris

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:42:41 -0400

FWIW, in the LBCs that I have owned that had electric fuel pumps (i.e., MGA,
MGB, & a Midget), they were all mounted in the rear near the gas tank.  I
never had a problem with any of them and I owned them all many years.

John

> I think that locating the pump near the fuel tank is a good idea, because
these pumps really do push better than they pull. I had some experience with
these pumps from my GT6+, and I decided that I wanted a filter and regulator.
I was also flirting with Italian cars at that time, and they tended to have
electric pumps in the rear with a FISPA filter/regulator in the engine
compartment. So I mounted one of those on a blanking plate where the original
mechanical pump was!

John Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 TR3A
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/TR3A.html

1977 Porsche 911S ('86 3.2 engine)
http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Porsche.html