Subject: [TR] TR6 performance

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:27:20 -0700 (PDT)

drove my friends TR6 the other day and gave it a bit of stick.
lots of fun. loved the car.
but i did not feel it was any great improvement over my TR3.
the one thing i did find a little funy was the way the back end moved around.
when driving realativly staright if i drove over say a crack in the road the
back would kind of jump to one side..just a little. no big deal. is that kind
of normal in an IRS?
 
Frank

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:31:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/15/2013 2:39:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

the one  thing i did find a little funy was the way the back end moved 
around.
when  driving realativly staright if i drove over say a crack in the road  
the
back would kind of jump to one side..just a little. no big deal. is  that 
kind
of normal in an IRS?
 
NO - NOT NORMAL AT ALL
i think others have already posted a few of the many things that could  
cause that
 
At this stage in the life of these cars, I think its utterly invalid  to 
draw any conclusions about the differences between 2 models based on a  
comparison of only a few, or even several, examples of each.
Handling, and certainly power and torque, will vary widely between  
different cars within the same model as a result of differences between the  state 
of maintenance, tune, and upgrades on each  car.     
 
This seems to obvious to post, but there it is anyway.
 
Cheers,
Jack Mc

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

the rear suspension is stock.

--- On Mon, 4/15/13, Bob Labuz <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 performance
To: "Frank Fisher" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013, 6:55 PM

Frank,

I have to agree on the performance. Both my 3 and 4 seem to have a bit more
between 2 and 3k than the 6. The 6 doesnt seem to get it on until about 3200
or so.

The 3 is an 87MM engine. Both the 4 and 6 are stock.

I use the same gas (premium without alcohol). All have Bell exhaust systems,
SU carbs, stock ignition.

As far as the hop in the 6, I have never noticed it. Did your 6 have a stock
rear suspension?

It does squat a bit on hard acceleration.

As far as light rear ends, my 63 4 seems to be the lightest.

Bob
around.
the
kind

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

ill pass the suggestion on.
thanks Dave

--- On Mon, 4/15/13, Dave Massey <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 performance
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013, 7:05 PM

There are a lot of little things that can cause this behaviour.  Worn trailing
arm bushings are one.  a sticky spline shaft can also cause the car to behave
like this.  Soft shocks, especially where one shock absorber is softer than
the one on the other side will also do this.  Alignment is also critical on an
IRS vehicle.  On the TR3 or any solid axle car the two tires will be pointing
in the same direction no matter what.  Not so with the TR6.  And since the
camber changes with wheel movement any inconsistencies will present themselves
if the suspension is exercised. 

But when it is set up properly the TR6 should behave quite predictably.  I've
done all that and my car has no tendency to sidestep on bumps.  But I have
poly bushings, telescopic shock conversion,  uprated springs and, most
importantly, a four wheel alignment.

A related aside, when I first got my car it had a terrible tendency to want to
sidestep on bumps.  When I did a major overhaul I found that a PO had
installed a RH trunnion and vertical link on the left side.  Collision repair
since there was a RH trunion and vertical on the right side as well.  Once I
sorted that out the car rode much better.  The four wheel alignment was also a
noticeable improvement.  But do everything else before you get the alignment
since changing bushings will throw the alignment out.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>

Frank

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:52:59 -0700 (PDT)

nah!
the motor is good.
we have been working on the car for some time now.
the carbs where rebuilt not a month ago.
compression is good.
all electricals new or checked.
overdrive working real well.

--- On Mon, 4/15/13, Bud R <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 performance
To: "Frank Fisher" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013, 8:10 PM

If the handling has gotten to the point that it needs work maybe the engine
tuning has been neglected and is also needing work.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle 
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Frank Fisher wrote:

Frank

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]