Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 oil pressure line leak 74

From: "morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:47:17 -0400

The hard plastic oil gauge line leaks near the engine connection. I wanted to
remove the last 2 inches and put the barb fitting back in. No way it will fit.
Heat made it too soft too fast. What is the secret?
Thanks

Jim Fuller
Syracuse,NY

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:09:52 +0000

> Heat made it too soft too fast. What is the secret?

Try this: take a block of wood and drill a hole the same diameter as your plastic line.  Cut the block in half through the center of the hole.  Lay the line into the resulting groove with the end protruding just slightly from one side, then clamp the blocks back together (so they grip the line tightly).  Ream the end of the line a bit, for a slight taper.  Now drive the fitting in with a hammer and another block of wood.

Or, you might consider just replacing the fitting with a "vibration-resistant" compression fitting from MMC (if the block threads match):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/177

That's what I used when adding an oil pressure gauge to the Stag.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:14:24 -0500 (CDT)

Jim,

If it was me, I would not try and repair it.  I had a catastrophic failure of that plastic line at the gauge and oil poured into the car, through my radio, and onto my $600 carpet from TRF.

Based on my sad tale, TSI imports made a stainless steel replacement.

TSI-TR250 , 3991 , TR250/TR6 Oil pressure gauge line.

They are located on the web:  http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/ .

I tried to get a free one but that did not work out.  :)

Craig
72 Triumph TR6

On 04/22/13, morgan<[email-masked]> wrote:

Jim Fuller
Syracuse,NY

---

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:21:00 -0400

I too had a disastrous fail of the line on an old engine. Stuck in hot summer
traffic jam idling with low pressure, did not notice that the gauge had
stopped reading as all the engine oil drained on the road through the broken
end of the pipe. When the traffic cleared, I took off down the highway.
Completely seized the camshaft about 1 km later. Stuck on side of highway for
several hours in 95 degree sun. End of engine, end of date, end of girlfriend.

I really really hate that tube. My solution was to convert to an electric oil
pressure gauge. First a cheapy unit from Canadian Tire and then a nice Smiths
part from gaugeguys a few years later when slightly lessened poverty
permitted.

Mark
1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: April-22-13 9:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 oil pressure line leak 74

 Jim,

If it was me, I would not try and repair it.  I had a catastrophic failure of
that plastic line at the gauge and oil poured into the car, through my radio,
and onto my $600 carpet from TRF.

Craig
72 Triumph TR6

The hard plastic oil gauge line leaks near the engine connection. I wanted to
remove the last 2 inches and put the barb fitting back in. No way it will
fit.
Heat made it too soft too fast. What is the secret?
Thanks

Jim Fuller
Syracuse,NY

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:08:01 -0500 (CDT)

I was really thinking you were better off until I heard you lost an engine.

I got off easy.....Craig

On 04/23/13, Mark Hooper<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
I too had a disastrous fail of the line on an old engine. Stuck in hot summer traffic jam idling with low pressure, did not notice that the gauge had stopped reading as all the engine oil drained on the road through the broken end of the pipe. When the traffic cleared, I took off down the highway. Completely seized the camshaft about 1 km later. Stuck on side of highway for several hours in 95 degree sun. End of engine, end of date, end of girlfriend. 

I really really hate that tube. My solution was to convert to an electric oil pressure gauge. First a cheapy unit from Canadian Tire and then a nice Smiths part from gaugeguys a few years later when slightly lessened poverty permitted.

Mark
1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: April-22-13 9:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 oil pressure line leak 74

 Jim,

Craig
72 Triumph TR6

Jim Fuller
Syracuse,NY

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:18:22 +0000

> stopped reading as all the engine oil drained on the road through the broken

Just a thought, if that kind of thing worries you: It should be fairly easy to wire an oil pressure switch so it kills the engine if you lose oil pressure.  There even exist oil pressure gauges with this function built into them (though probably not to match the other gauges).

Guess I've been lucky though.  I've lost oil pressure several times and always noticed before any serious damage was done.  I try to make it a habit to scan the gauges frequently, but the change in engine noise has alerted me first, every time.  Usually it just means I need to add oil :)

Randall