Subject: Re: [TR] Question about installing a backup light switch in a TR4A

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:01:15 -0400

Dave,

You might want to see if you can source a TR6 transmission or just the 
shifter portion. It has the switches you need.

I see 6 transmissions for sale on Eban and CL all the time for 50 to 75 
bucks.

Bob

On 04/19/2013 01:49 PM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> List,
> Is there some way of installing a backup switch in my TR4A transmission
> without drilling and tapping holes or whatever..?
> I keep forgetting to ask this. I saw that Moss sells the switch but I have no
> Idea where it goes.
> Thanks,
> Dave Connitt

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:25:44 -0500

The switches are not too hard to install, just make sure you get the drill 
bit centered with a punch when you start, then you need to tap it for the 
right size threads, I think I got a set of three of the right size taps on 
e-bay when I did the overdrive switch on mine (same idea, different 
location) so if you decide to go this route let me know, I have two and 
maybe three of these taps I will never use again.

If you choose not to go this route you could do something like I had on my 
BGT way back when a simple on/off switch under the dash to turn on the back 
up lights, if you are doing it to be seen you probably the manual switch 
isn't the way to go (you'll forget to use it half the time), if you are 
doing it to see better when you back up (long dark driveway or whatever) 
which was the purpose on my BGT, it works pretty well, cause if you can't 
see when backing up the light bulb goes off in your head and you turn it on. 
Course I often people would honk and flick their headlights at me, doh, 
forgot to turn the back up light off.

Greg Lemon