Subject: [TR] 3 point belts in a TR4A

From: Brian Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:37:23 +0000

Hi guys,

When I restored the '67 TR4A in the mid 90's, I wanted to replace the clapped
out lap belts with a 3 point setup.  At that time not much was available, so I
went to a wrecking yard and got a 3 point set out of a Toyota.  I even got a
good match to my light tan interior.  However, these belts do not have inertia
reels and consequently wind up closing in door frames, etc.

I decided to go with a set of 3 point inertia reel belts offered by TRF for
the TR6.

Now the belts have arrived, I can't figure out where the inertia reel is
supposed to mount.  If you have reels with a stock TR6 setup, can you explain
where these attach?  My TR4A, which is very late (CTC78390L),  has factory
mounting positions on the floor (2 per side) and the top of the rear wheel
wells, so the other attachment points are obvious.

Thanks,

Brian
_______________________________________________________________________
   Brian Thomas                       E-mail:  [email-masked]
   Holliday Point                      Phone:  613-385-1947
   Wolfe Island,  Ontario      Toys:      54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR,
75 John Deere 920
   CANADA   K0H 2Y0

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:47:25 -0400 (EDT)

I bought the inertia reel belts from Moss and mounted them using the stock 
TR6 mounts.  The inertia reel mounts on the wheel well just above the parcel 
shelf and there is a belt guide that mounts higher up directly above the 
reel.  The feeds the belt over the shoulder.  The other end of the loop bolts 
to a weld nut just below and behind the lower rear corner of the door 
opening.  The other part of the belt set bolts to a weld nut in the driveshaft 
tunnel.

I do believe the TR4 has different seatbelt provisions but I am not 
familiar with the TR4A but if you don't have the weld nuts you can drill holes and 
use nuts and oversized washers to prevent pull-through which is what I did 
for the guide loop on my TR6 since the 71 didn't come equipped with inertia 
reel belts, just the fixed length three point harness.

If you can, study the mountings on a TR6 and try to approximate as closely 
as you can.  I'm sure the factory spent quite a bit of time optimizing the 
seatbelt mountings so it would be wise to ride their coattails.

Cheers

Dave