Subject: Re: [TR] engine stands

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:22:33 -0700

Just used one of the HF ones for my AH3000 (longer and heavier than the TR4)
but would not attempt with the trans and OD attached.

It's a fine piece of kit, but the lever arm with an trans and OD anchor
hanging off the end may be a bit much.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 12:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] engine stands

I am thinking of getting an engine stand.  I see Harbor Freight has a couple
of 1000lb stands.  Questions:  is 1000 Ok for a TR3 engine and (overdrive)
gearbox combination and does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight
ones?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:26:22 -0400

Andrew,

I used the 1K stand for both my TR4 and TR6 engines. Didnt have the 
transmissions mounted. They worked really good. Rotate etc. I also 
loaned it to a friend who used it for a 200CC Ford Mustang 6 CYL with no 
problems.

When it came time to mount the transmission, I just hooked the engine up 
to my chain-fall and then lowered the engine on a pallet where I 
assembled the clutch and transmission prior to installation into the 
engine.

If you have your transmission mounted to the engine, how will you attach 
the stand to the engine?

The attachment points are on the rear of the engine with flywheel off. 4 
long bolts hold the engine to the stand.

Bob

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:32:03 -0400

Thanks, Bob - I wasn't thinking.  It happens frequently these
days.............   

Rather like the time I was thinking of getting a tonneau cover for my TR3
and was then reminded it had a roll bar.......     

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Labuz
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] engine stands

Andrew,

I used the 1K stand for both my TR4 and TR6 engines. Didnt have the
transmissions mounted. They worked really good. Rotate etc. I also loaned it
to a friend who used it for a 200CC Ford Mustang 6 CYL with no problems.

When it came time to mount the transmission, I just hooked the engine up to
my chain-fall and then lowered the engine on a pallet where I assembled the
clutch and transmission prior to installation into the engine.

If you have your transmission mounted to the engine, how will you attach the
stand to the engine?

Bob

On 04/12/2013 03:09 PM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:
> I am thinking of getting an engine stand.  I see Harbor Freight has a 
> couple of 1000lb stands.  Questions:  is 1000 Ok for a TR3 engine and 
> (overdrive) gearbox combination and does anyone have experience with 
> the Harbor Freight ones?
>
> Andrew Uprichard

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:42:15 -0400

Andrew,

Ok, and by the way, that was a 200 CI Ford engine not CC. Doubt a 200 CC 
engine would be much good in a 65 Mustang!

Bob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:03:57 -0400

I don't like the stability of a three wheeled stand. You would like a four
wheel stand better if you intend to move it under load.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> couple
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:17:20 -0400

I tried one of those hydraulic lift tables from Harbor Frieght on my last
rebuild of the TR4.   I really liked it.

I set up the TR6 motor with a steel plate on the side and mounted it
sideways on the motor stand - that is working out really nicely as well.

I can send pics of the motor mounted sideways on the stand if you email me
directly.

Chris