Subject: Re: [TR] Block color

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:32:59 -0500

There were coments that engines sent back for re-building were painted red.
If the number on your engine is the correct one for your car I should think
that it should be black.  

BTW, the VTR Judging Guide states engine block and head should be black.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 3:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Block color

A few weeks back there was some discussion about non-black engine blocks
from the factory.  The consensus was that some were, indeed, delivered in a
color other than black.  However, I forgot what color.  Can someone remind
me? 
 Thanks and sorry for the bandwidth.

Dave

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:46:07 -0400 (EDT)

Good point.  But Appendix 1 (Modified Touring Class) states that the engine
may be from any model car in the series.  One could interpret this as being a
rebuild (AKA red) engine.  ;-)

Thanks

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: wbeech <[email-masked]>

Bill

Bill Beecher

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:54:46 +0100 (BST)

Hi, Dave
 
I can't comment on block colours post 1972 for any car out of
Standard-Triumph but from 1946 until that date, they were (mainly) black.
Exceptions were on the small 4 cylinder which for a while were painted in
gold. This was the famous Gold Star engine that appeared in about 1957 on the
Standard Eight and Ten saloons. Gold continued for a while on the valve covers
of the same engine until the company was eventually able to get out from under
the paint contract it had signed with Pinchin and Johnson for later models of
the Ferguson tractor which was sold in Grey with a gold engine block and
skidded unit. The company was obliged to run with the contract for some years
after the tractor business was sold to Massey Harris. All that to one side,
factory reconditioned engines that were offered to the UK and European dealer
network and done by Beans Industries (a group company) were painted a 'yucky'
blue that wasn't too dis-similar from Ford Blue. I greatly
 doubt any of this engines ever got to your side of the pond as their release
was entirely dependent on good usable core units being available to rebuild.
AFAIK, Stag and Slant 4 engines were all black with silver valve/cam covers.
Jonmac