Subject: [TR] Thoughts on steel vs copper gas lines

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:02:16 -0400

List,
I can't believe I am getting close to completion on my TR4A finally after 12
years but here I am!
One of the things I need to do is run a gas line from the fuel pump to the
carbs and the short piece from the fuel pump to the line going back to the
tank (about a foot I guess). I am thinking I should use a steel line as it
will be less likely to crack. On the other hand, I can remember on the old
cars (1920's) that my dad and I restored back in the day (1960's) all the gas
lines were copper. I know, they didn't have seat belts either but that's
another story.
Anyway, steel or copper? I know it will be harder to bend but I think it will
be safer. Also, what dia. should I use for the steel vacuum line from the carb
to the distributor?
I am also considering installing a shut off valve between the pipe from the
tank and the fuel pump, (maybe right on the pump) for the long winter nap so
gas doesn't leak anywhere.
Hoping to receive my wire harness soon,
Dave Connitt

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "ptegler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:27:09 -0400

I'd stick with steel under a car these days.
Copper dents way to easy. Hit a couple stones/road slag dent the pipe and it 
reduces fuel flow.
I personally used coated brake lines as fuel lines. I just cut the ends off 
where I'm using a flex hose, and or screw connections to join stock ends 
when longer runs are needed.

Paul Tegler
[email-masked]
www.teglerizer.com

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:02 PM
Subject: [TR] Thoughts on steel vs copper gas lines

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 20:27:32 -0500 s=q20121106; t=1365125256; bh=q/Kwywyl9NjoGWph42Kt4NFD3a+t5MSv54MXRIa2+O8=; h=Received:Received:To:From:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=Pn9FgUqi3fiHwzWN3sOxlsud7+LT5XRHqe8LOkMYkhUgOWYkDkRrgUHDHM9E6a9wH Sa6aXqdRKfezXX7wdJ03EU30EiJEa8OCdqGDq2OF8wnmS4arvz4tIP+otMiGbmNaPH cQbiVVUVxZrhtY7PIS9/VEr8z6e3fmEzc9jr35RqCZFFc42MGxDzuhO817eoGwKyrS KV7noXZ3Wdka9UfwhvvW8K1SODZezM766cSWGskCqlJ7SqT4lktMH5GoSoOFDJ/sA+ g3hAvfPj8mcnJva7fYfDK5qshpe89PmFcCFv7zsVlnJqJb7mDQ2YMKa9c32rKk2IA5 elA0wbr7ltY5A==

Dunno.  The copper ones on my '32 mg and '29 morris are still in fine shape.
Just checked the '39 MG TB : both copper fuel lines and the four central oiling lines are original and perfect.
Hmmmm......Just dunno....

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Thoughts on steel vs copper gas lines
Date: Thu, Apr 4, 2013 19:02

List,

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 00:07:21 -0700

> One of the things I need to do is run a gas line from the 
> fuel pump to the carbs and the short piece from the fuel pump 
> to the line going back to the tank (about a foot I guess). I 
> am thinking I should use a steel line as it will be less 

Steel was original, and what I would be inclined to stick with.

One problem with "copper" is that nothing is really made with pure copper.
And what alloy you get is important to things like resistance to work
hardening (which can lead to cracks) and so on.

>  Also, what dia. should I use for 
> the steel vacuum line from the carb to the distributor?

The size isn't critical, just whatever works easily with your connections.
IIRC the original line on a 4A was about 3/16" od and had push-on fittings.
I did use copper there (alloy 122 I think) because I couldn't easily source
steel line in the right size for my TR3A (with 1/8" compression fittings) at
the time.  Now I believe the usual suspects carry it.

> I am also considering installing a shut off valve between the 
> pipe from the tank and the fuel pump, (maybe right on the 
> pump) for the long winter nap so gas doesn't leak anywhere.

That was standard equipment on the early cars, but the valve was mounted to
the frame and had a hard connection to the line to the tank (so you could
turn the valve off to replace the soft line to the pump).  Seems like a
great idea to me; not sure if they discontinued it to reduce costs or
because the valve they used was more prone to leak than anything else <g>

Randall