Subject: [TR] Zinc Plating long parts with Caswell zinc plating kit..

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:10:28 -0400

List,
I just wanted to pass along an little nugget regarding zinc plating. Last
summer I bought a zinc plating kit from Caswell Plating. I wanted to re-plate
all the small linkages while restoring my SU carbs. That turned out pretty
well so I started doing other things, working my way up to larger and larger
pieces such as the hood latch.
I was eyeing that telescoping trunk stay rod but it was too long, almost 2
feet when extended.  Well, I was walking thru the local hardware store totally
looking for something else when I noticed a giant plastic roller tray. The
thing is just a bit over 2 feet wide..  I bought it and when I got home, I
found that if I tilted it up at about 45 degrees, I ended up with a "tank" 2
feet long, about 4 inches wide and about 3 inches deep. Perfect!!
I used the original tank to heat the plating solution, then poured it into the
tray. I layed the two zinc anodes down along the edge of the tank and it
worked great.  Now I need to go thru my other parts  to see if there is
anything else I can plate.
I updated my website with pictures of the tank as I was plating one of the
steering column pieces.
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

go to Final Finishes, then click on zinc plating.

Just had to share that.

Also, shameless plug.. Since my autopainting career is over, I am intersted in
selling my air supplied respirator if anyone is interested. There is a picture
of it in the Tools section.

Zinc plating is actually very easy to do with the Caswell kit and not that
expensive. If you already have a way to clean the parts, even a bench type
wire wheel, you can do this and the results are quite good..

Still waiting on my Advance Auto-Wire harness (2 weeks to go .. I hope)

Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive