Subject: [TR] Roll over spit /rotissorie for TR4A

From: "Dixie4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:34:24 -0000

Well guys The List to the rescue yet again. It still amazes me the wealth of
knowledge on The List and of course the old saying many heads are better than
one when trawling the internet.

I have been working on this idea  of a spit for a couple of weeks and had not
really got anywhere into seeing how others tackled the construction and
design.
Now in one email I have numerous options, plans and even cutting lists! WOW!!!
Thanks, thanks, and even more thanks to all who responded.
Bill Beech has posted a couple of links which are invaluable and both could
outline a basis for my own version. The first I find over engineered but
superb if it was for multiple use in a business environment. The second seems
more to the idea I was formulating and with a few personal tweaks could be a
winner.
Dave H has proposed the idea of two engine stands. It is so simple and
brilliant, if I was Stateside. In the US you have/had those huge cast iron V8
engines and that is the kind of loading they are designed for. The equivalent
stands available here in UK are positively flimsy and would not take anywhere
near the weight. But I am looking to see if someone markets one in UK for
heavier engines such as in the Jaguar V12 for instance or even small truck
engines. With this kind of set up using two engine stands most of the
construction would be already done by a a worker in China who works for a
handful of rice a day. Meaning it would probably be more cost effective than
making a couple of the basic stands myself, not a sleight against the
Chinese.

Once I have figured the basic construction of the main units, mounting to the
chassis is the next issue. The front is simple with beefed up replicas of the
standard chassis to front panel brackets. Then bolted to a cross beam taking
into account the curve of the front panel. So far so good pretty straight
forward I am thinking. The mounting at the rear of the car has got me stumped
at the moment. As I said before I have no intention of separating the body and
chassis and I have only the original holes and mountings to work with and it
surprises me to realize how little holds the back bumper on the car. Maybe I
should think out of the box and consider picking up on the spring mounts (car
is live axle not IRS)

Any ideas Guys?

Adrian 1966 TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:33:00 -0400 (EDT)

Adrian, I would take a close look at the rear bumper mounts.  I'm thinking 
a 2x3 box beam with a couple short pieces to space the beam out from the 
rear metalwork and a handful of long bolts.

That's how it would work on a TR6, anyway.  Your TR4 may be different, 
however, but the bumper mounts would be plenty robust for this task.

Dave