Subject: Re: [TR] Explain This Overheating

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:52:07 -0700

My question is, why does it overheat after a long downhill? I could see 
it overheating after a long uphill.

The first thing I would do is check the ignition timing

The second thing would be a compression check to look for a blown head 
gasket

The third thing you be to check idle fuel pressure just in case your 
pressure might be low causing the engine to run lean

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:05:10 -0700

Hi Bill, 
Don't know the state of your engine, but one thing that made a big
difference in my car was removing the petcock at the rear of the engine,
cleaning out all the scale inside the block that I could, and then flushing
the block. I also don't run more than 20% antifreeze as I've heard from this
list that it really isn't very good at cooling.

Since you have a puller electric fan, you don't have a mechanical fan which
means that you are pretty dependent on that electric fan, so the question
is, are you sure it is coming on like it's supposed to? 

Sorry, don't know why it is overheating on the downhill run. I suppose it
has to do with what the RPM's are and how hard the engine is working to slow
you down.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:19 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Explain This Overheating

     So I've begun driving the TR3 to work again. It has been in the 80's
during the day in Mojave. It is pretty brisk at 0600 at the mile high
elevation that I live at.
     The temperature gauge in the TR3 has lost the ether and is getting sent
in to be rebuilt asap.
     So yesterday I am
driving home. The TR runs like a freight train. I coasted down about 1/2
mile and downhill and stopped outside my garage. While the garage door is
opening the car overheats and steam comes out.
     I topped off the coolant. Later
that evening I let my daughter drive the TR with me in the car with her. We
are tooling around the hills at low speeds, under 35 mph. We coast down
about a mile of downhill and stop at a stop sign. I begin smelling hot
coolant again. It is like it is taunting me.
     My radiator was rebuilt about 12
years ago without a crank hole.
     I have blocked off the water pump bypass with a brass plug with a 1/8"
hole drilled in it to prevent vacuum lock.
    
I have an electric fan (puller, not pusher) that comes on at about 190.
    
Tonight I am going to use a Prestone radiator flush and refill with fresh
coolant and distilled water 50/50 mix.
     With the coolant out I am going to
pour water in the top to see how fast it sloshes out the bottom hose hole to
see if the radiator appears blocked..

     I only use distilled water and
coolant in my radiator.
     Last year I put on a new Moss radiator cap and a new 185 thermostat and
put on all new hoses.
     My question is, why does it
overheat after a long downhill? I could see it overheating after a long
uphill.
     Gotta get the temp gauge fixed. I meant to do it when the cold weather
arrived.

      -Bill in Tehachapi

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:25:30 -0400

Bill,

Sounds like altitude and pressure is a problem here. Or, your block 
could be filled with gunk.

Try the block flush method suggested a few replies ago. Cant hurt.

On all my 3 TRs, they tend to cool when driving down long hills. But I 
may get up to 1K feet AS at the most. But most of the time, the temp 
just stays in the middle. I use the stock water pump, and mechanical fans.

Last summer in 95 degree heat and high humidity while driving slow in 
city traffic, the TR4 did go above the middle mark, but as soon as I got 
to the open road it cooled right down. I am guessing a electrical fan 
would have helped there.

I also use 50/50 blend with distilled H20.

I have heard that water wetter helps. I tried it but didnt make the temp 
go down as far as I could tell.

I am interested in knowing what the problem is, so keep us updated.

Good luck,

Bob