Subject: [TR] Installing a electric radiator fan in a TR4A

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:04:54 -0400

Happy Easter everyone,
I woke up at 5:00 AM this morning like it was a work day.. Been up to no good
since then looking at what I still need for my TR4A. According to my list, I
need a electric fan for the radiator and have settled on a Hayden 12 inch
unit. Turns out I can get one at my local Reily Autoparts with the controller.
I am going to pick that up today so I have it for when I start installing my
wire harness (supposed to ship the end of next week from Advanced Auto-Wire).
I was just wondering if there is a preference as to mounting the fan as a
pusher or puller?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:20:30 -0400 RPP+QV2kTeeluMyK19PyWucKKrD9a5Sx/ld93ZhUe2OJstxNrd Cd3DI8SrtV8kQPA5tu7UUlUI8VVXecsz08Xt3/szPUDLS1dXZw 6GFyPKeHC45bQ8phR4X6uTcMqyLvgzllhVQ4h0Mpt44FntlZbT EP+Nnyhi6xMEBEfIHze35f6EI3mSVFl73VfNbZt3Vx06MvF4Oc 0K4CO3Dg5wpKpJjn69fPpboZjaiHr5UzUF43B99gtb/4Sh+pa7 9TXIp39EbBk3UZPzVvsfFU+DR0NAhgkrsBa+Qm+gRtfgVII0Ml hqmOJ3IpL4C9QMwBLS6G5xKZ8BQ96maKNtkBHXSFm

The TR6 guys install Patton's Fan Eliminator Kit 
(http://pattonmachine.com/Fan-Eliminator-Kit.htm) and then install the 
electric fan as a puller. Does the TR4 have the same clearance issue as the 
TR6 with the brace that crosses between the radiator and the engine front? 
We're limited to the 16 inch "slim line" fans because of it.

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

-----Original Message----- 
From: Dave Connitt
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Installing a electric radiator fan in a TR4A

Happy Easter everyone,
I woke up at 5:00 AM this morning like it was a work day.. Been up to no 
good
since then looking at what I still need for my TR4A. According to my list, I
need a electric fan for the radiator and have settled on a Hayden 12 inch
unit. Turns out I can get one at my local Reily Autoparts with the 
controller.
I am going to pick that up today so I have it for when I start installing my
wire harness (supposed to ship the end of next week from Advanced 
Auto-Wire).
I was just wondering if there is a preference as to mounting the fan as a
pusher or puller?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:35:32 -0700

> I was just wondering if there is a preference as to mounting 
> the fan as a pusher or puller?

My preference is as a puller.  The fan really only covers the cooling
requirements near idle, it doesn't move nearly enough air to cool the engine
at higher power.  Having the fan in front of the radiator seems to interfere
to some extent with natural air flow at higher speeds.  For example, when
the original fan on my Stag failed, I tried a temporary electric as a
pusher, which made the engine more prone to overheat at freeway speeds (with
or without the fan running).

I run a 12" Hayden as a puller on my TR3 and it works very well.  I made my
own fan eliminator from a cast iron pipe cap, but several vendors sell them
ready made.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:07:56 +0000 (UTC)

Absolutely NOT my experience with the TR4 and the Stag.  Each worked just fine with an electric pusher and the stock mechanical fan.

The Stag has a thermostatic pusher. Seamless operation.

The TR4 had a pusher with a 30-amp switch under the dash.  I only needed it when the car was stuck in traffic or "cruising" with the street-rod crowd.  In those situations, it quickly brought the temp down.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:35:32 AM
> Subject: Re: [TR] Installing a electric radiator fan in a TR4A
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:44:08 -0700

> Absolutely NOT my experience with the TR4 and the Stag.  Each 
> worked just fine with an electric pusher and the stock mechanical fan.

Practically anything will work, with enough overkill.  I was talking about
_without_ the stock mechanical fan, and a Hayden 12" that only draws 8 amps,
not 30.

On the Stag, as soon as I could replace the mechanical fan (early Stag fans
& fan drives are NLA), I removed the electric one.  The TR3 works great with
just the electric, so I'm keeping it that way for now.

My point was not that mounting in front could not work; only that I feel the
puller configuration is more efficient.  The difference is not huge, maybe
only 15-20% but it is real.

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 18:34:30 +0000 (UTC)

> I was talking
> about

I never said the fan drew 30 amps.  30-amp switches are not expensive, and overkill in a switch ain't bad.  I didn't use a relay, just a wire from battery through inline fuse, through switch and on to fan.
 
> My point was not that mounting in front could not work;

I think the OP is looking for something that works.

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:17:15 -0700

> I think the OP is looking for something that works.

Perhaps so, but he asked which was preferred.  I prefer more efficient and
not having to run two fans because neither one works very well.

Randall