Subject: Re: [TR] Over heating

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:41:15 -0500

Starting the engine does not cause the overheating, stopping it does.  When
you shut an engine down the heat it still there but the coolant flow is
halted.  Ergo, the heat will continue to build until it can naturally
dissapate.  I have not been in any heavy traffic with my stock TR3 but
parades have that same effect, so I will just depress the clutch and rev the
motor a little 1500-2000rpm when I can to increase the coolant flow.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cosmo Kramer
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Over heating

Hi List!
In digest 6:94 Randall wrote:
I initially installed the stock fan and
radiator on TS13571L (except the radiator had no crank hole, so I'm assuming
the previous owner had it recorded).  It worked great under most conditions,
but coming home from TRfest 2009 I found a big traffic jam where we averaged
under 20 mph for roughly 40 miles.  (Yes, that's over 2 hours stuck in
traffic.)  The gauge kept slowly creeping up, until I started shutting the
engine off every chance I could, to keep the heat down.  That was when I
determined to go back to the electric fan I had used on the previous TR3A.
----------------------------
I was told that shutting the engine off  & then starting it up to move, to
keep the heat down would INCREASE the chance of over heating because
starting the engine causes more heat. Now I don't understand why, but that's
what I was told (not saying that I believe that).
 
Can any explain WHY this might happen?
-Cosmo Kramer

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:07:49 -0400

You may have misunderstood the comment. When you turn the engine off there 
is no flow of coolant but no heat being generated either. The heat generated 
when running will build for a while and then start to cool down naturally if 
engine is off long enough. By starting and stopping engine in heavy traffic 
you are generating less heat overall and the flow of cooler coolant from the 
radiator will bring the engine temp down pretty quickly. So shutting the 
engine off and starting does not generate more heat and cause overheating. 
If you have an electric fan and can run it during engine shutdown that will 
cool the water in the radiator and allow even quicker cool down when you 
start the engine again.
JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: Cosmo Kramer
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:32 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Over heating

Hi List!
In digest 6:94 Randall wrote:
I initially installed the stock fan and
radiator on TS13571L (except the radiator had no crank hole, so I'm assuming
the previous owner had it recorded).  It worked great under most conditions,
but coming home from TRfest 2009 I found a big traffic jam where we averaged
under 20 mph for roughly 40 miles.  (Yes, that's over 2 hours stuck in
traffic.)  The gauge kept slowly creeping up, until I started shutting the
engine off every chance I could, to keep the heat down.  That was when I
determined to go back to the electric fan I had used on the previous TR3A.
----------------------------
I was told that shutting the engine off  & then
starting it up to move, to keep the heat down would INCREASE the chance of
over heating because starting the engine causes more heat. Now I don't
understand why, but that's what I was told (not saying that I believe that).

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]