Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank ~15 gallons

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:31:47 -0500

Bob, I didn't see a reference to shipping costs.  That means either
shipping is free or else it will be handled at the time of final payment.
 Considering what shipping costs are now days prospective buyers might want
to take this into consideration.

Another question that I have is will this fit a TR4?  Off the top of my
head I can't think of any reason it wouldn't fit but confirmation ahead of
time would be great.

Thanks!

Brad

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Bob <[email-masked]> wrote:

> One of this year's winter projects was to design an aluminum fuel tank
> that would fit "any" TR6 and give additional capacity. Dan Masters gave me
> his 18 gallon design but that required modifying the trunk to get the tank
> to fit. Another fellow designed a tank specific to his car with swirl pots
> and a custom external pump....... I modified that design to make it more
> generic to fit, hopefully, every TR6. I just updated my site (
> http://tr6.danielsonfamily.**org/AluminumTank.htm<http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/AluminumTank.htm>)
> with the installation of the first tank produced and can say that it fit up
> perfectly.  You can see everything from the building of a mock up to the
> final installation. Using math......and the internal tank dimensions, the
> capacity should be about 15 gallons. I used Boyd Welding to make the tank
> as custom aluminum gas tanks are the only thing they make ranging from 1
> quart to 5000 gallons.
>
> Keep in mind that a stock sized aluminum tank form Moss is $620 and $700
> from TRF.
>
> I have no financial interest in the sale of tanks by Boyd Welding but he
> was kind enough to agree to special pricing until March 18th.
>
> The following are his words from an email sent to me:
>
> As for pricing it will be $425.00 for non efi and $ 725.00 for EFI tanks
> including the Aeromotive Stealth 340.
>
> Reference part #b s
>
> #14020 Standard NON EFI = $ 425.00
> #14021 EFI with Stealth 340= $ 725.00
>
> Because I am considering this a group buy the pricing will only be good
> until Monday March 18th. After that the pricing will be normal prices which
> will be $ 475.00 and $775.00. The EFI tanks are only available with our
> Stealth 340 pump because of the custom cutout and flange required. An
> option for the provision without the pump will not be available. Each
> customer will need to install their own stock sending unit we will supply
> the 6 bolt flange.
>
> We will be collecting 100.00 deposits on every order and will not start
> fabrication until after March 18th so that we can begin production. I am
> figuring 2-4 weeks to begin shipping after the Group Buy ordering window
> has expired.
>
> Boyd Welding can be contacted at 877-270-3576
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/bkahler1@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:13:31 -0500 jj5dVrzXq2wF2cAzS0UcVGyBZ5iPN4YEAMXgpvTZ4kryvE3BFb YbFesY+jVYe1X8IHwafChmJqny3uBLTvZpXW0FZtXPOg8mlN5L C7dU0YiQRP8ta8M/vVc8k64pyi7KdEVyB3MvJ4oCgedTDdtsm2 9oq7lDoqs8i1i1wwlegeGlPHWFhjlmx6o64s5MlNdr1n62Y0/A 7JuIh9dFG86d2gYjRLuQ/lGhSmNFqw8annr7XdC4do5v/qwZP/ UIoGZ0ymJS9UaYHAVIfg65OwylmLtMPnMPlqZAlqynKQgOwYRB dHSJv7g1fHkJFlJl+SUtyHT0RHgLgXxiln+33MyQz

Hi Brad,
Shipping costs would be dependent on where you live. Boyd Welding is in Ocala
Fl and the box weighed 28 lbs whiles measuring 36x16x16 so you could estimate
the shipping cost. But youbre saving so much over Moss/TRF that youbve
covered the shipping and more!

>From what Ibve been told it should fit a TR4 but I have no way of testing
that unless someone local with a TR4 wants to borrow my mock up tank to test
fit. So if any TR4 owners in CT are willing, Ibll loan them the mock up
tank.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

From: Brad Kahler
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:31 PM
To: Bob
Cc: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank ~15 gallons

Bob, I didn't see a reference to shipping costs.  That means either shipping
is free or else it will be handled at the time of final payment.  Considering
what shipping costs are now days prospective buyers might want to take this
into consideration.

Another question that I have is will this fit a TR4?  Off the top of my head I
can't think of any reason it wouldn't fit but confirmation ahead of time would
be great.

Thanks!

Brad

  One of this year's winter projects was to design an aluminum fuel tank that
would fit "any" TR6 and give additional capacity. Dan Masters gave me his 18
gallon design but that required modifying the trunk to get the tank to fit.
Another fellow designed a tank specific to his car with swirl pots and a
custom external pump....... I modified that design to make it more generic to
fit, hopefully, every TR6. I just updated my site
(http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/AluminumTank.htm) with the installation of the
first tank produced and can say that it fit up perfectly.  You can see
everything from the building of a mock up to the final installation. Using
math......and the internal tank dimensions, the capacity should be about 15
gallons. I used Boyd Welding to make the tank as custom aluminum gas tanks are
the only thing they make ranging from 1 quart to 5000 gallons.

  I have no financial interest in the sale of tanks by Boyd Welding but he was
kind enough to agree to special pricing until March 18th.

  Reference part #b s

  Because I am considering this a group buy the pricing will only be good
until Monday March 18th. After that the pricing will be normal prices which
will be $ 475.00 and $775.00. The EFI tanks are only available with our
Stealth 340 pump because of the custom cutout and flange required. An option
for the provision without the pump will not be available. Each customer will
need to install their own stock sending unit we will supply the 6 bolt
flange.

  We will be collecting 100.00 deposits on every order and will not start
fabrication until after March 18th so that we can begin production. I am
figuring 2-4 weeks to begin shipping after the Group Buy ordering window has
expired.

  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 14:26:22 -0500

Bob,

Using the dimensions you provided and 28 lbs (UPS used dimensional weight
of 56 lbs) and an insured value of $500 the cost of shipping for me would
be about $41.   So what it amounts to is if I pre-order (early bird
special!) then I save shipping costs.  Otherwise for me it would run about
$525 after March 18th.

I'm not really in need of a tank but having 5 extra gallons sure would be
nice so I'm seriously thinking about this :)  Where I live in Kentucky once
you get out in the mountains and the backwoods, finding a gas station can
be problematic.

I don't imagine it would be likely that someone local to you in Connecticut
will be able to test fit before March 18th.  I need to see if I have a TR6
tank sitting on the shelf.

Thanks!

Brad

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Bob <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Hi Brad,
> Shipping costs would be dependent on where you live. Boyd Welding is in
> Ocala Fl and the box weighed 28 lbs whiles measuring 36x16x16 so you could
> estimate the shipping cost. But youre saving so much over Moss/TRF that
> youve covered the shipping and more!
>
> From what Ive been told it should fit a TR4 but I have no way of testing
> that unless someone local with a TR4 wants to borrow my mock up tank to
> test fit. So if any TR4 owners in CT are willing, Ill loan them the mock
> up tank.
>
> Bob
>
> Bob Danielson
>  *From:* Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:31 PM
> *To:* Bob <[email-masked]>
> *Cc:* Triumphs <[email-masked]>
> *Subject:* Re: [TR] TR6 Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank ~15 gallons
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Bob <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.**org/AluminumTank.htm<http://tr6.danielsonfamily.
org/AluminumTank.htm>)
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
options/triumphs/bkahler1@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/t
riumphs/[email-masked]>

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 14:27:08 -0500

Forgot to ask, do you have photos of your mock up that I could compare to
the tanks that I do have?

Thanks!

Brad

---

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 13:37:10 -0500

Just curious but why the interest in a aluminum gas tank? I think my TR4A is 
supposed to hold 14 gallons. At this point unfortunately, I have not had the 
pleasure of driving the thing anywhere much less to a gas station but would 
aluminum be as safe as steel? I assume that the material thickness would 
have to be quite a bit more for aluminum vs. steel. We have a really good 
materials guy at work.. I think I will ask him and report back.
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS  (waiting on my Advance Auto-Wire harness!)

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 14:07:15 -0500 5cD2+ALCOd1LjICFgFVtaIVEcydDDpsai+KO1I7WUENykREQVG aStrN1YCHMAji6g+rFAjLlYnKldbuocEEvA2osIyDdNHI05R0X tEk0OkM8fPAMcfV9/UuYhTqI74jgNrFI9TrjvQ0xD/kHZs9P3o Z6Trl0bnNSmYyJEmA/EhNqOKlUXnZg8CxDdJkLUU6p9oPbd/LU rHh3Ilgwxzp77Z3hj5neH2NInip7pl2P0zLtxHmrSVAsLzyPHW 0Hk1FSb86/T7EKsKxOIUIWz97hCqIVBgkmoHVJ4QalYmiFO1pe RklWOn+bwkHPyOvrsmgkvXExmqeEp90G7zVTovnLO

Aluminum doesn't rust........ and my tank is only 11.4 gallons if you top it 
off............which I don't so I wanted larger capacity for the trips I 
take and the way I use my car...... The 6-Pack guys wanted a tank with dual 
outlets to prevent fuel starvation and the guys with TBI/FI wanted a fuel 
return line that extends into the tank. Moss/TRF sell stock aluminum tanks 
for $620-$700 while this tank is $425 until 3/18 and then will go to $475! 
The company producing my tank does nothing but custom aluminum tanks for 
Military, Marine, Aircraft and Racing. Very specialized... highest quality 
materials, machining and welders...... over 10,000 custom tanks a year. With 
due respect to your materials guy, they employ a full time engineer who's 
involved in the final design and manufacturing process for their tanks.

Bob

Bob Danielson

1975 TR6 modified with:
-Throttle Body Injection
-Toyota 5 Speed
-Nissan Differential
-AAW Wire Harness
-CVJs... and more

-----Original Message----- 
From: Dave Connitt
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 1:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank ~15 gallons

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 11:10:36 -0800 (PST)

dave
there is often some water in the gas you pump and you will get some from
condensation forming in the gas tank when left overnight in cold weather.
my
steel tank rusted because of that.
aluminum wont rust. it will oxidize a
little but wont develop a hole as fast as steel will. i suspect both materials
will outlive most of us old f**rts. so you building for the next generation of
owner.
the gage of aluminum wont be that big of a deal. unless its Chinese
beer can can thick! the gas tank is not pressurized and is only subject to
weight of the gas contained within. i build all kinds of things from aluminum
at my place of employment.
Frank
TR3
NFI or desire in this TR6 tank

From: Dave Connitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent:
Friday, March 8, 2013 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank
~15 gallons

Just curious but why the interest in a aluminum gas tank? I think
my TR4A is supposed to hold 14 gallons. At this point unfortunately, I have
not had the pleasure of driving the thing anywhere much less to a gas station
but would aluminum be as safe as steel? I assume that the material thickness
would have to be quite a bit more for aluminum vs. steel. We have a really
good materials guy at work.. I think I will ask him and report back.
Dave
Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS  (waiting on my Advance Auto-Wire harness!)

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]