Subject: Re: [TR] Explain This Overheating

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:06:16 -0400

We talked about waterless coolants here a few months ago as well, if my
memory isn't completely gone. We talked at length about how boiling point
is *not* heat capacity, and although the glycol-based waterless coolants
have high boiling point they have something like only 60% of the heat
capacity of water.  We talked that if wanting to ensure the coolant's
boiling point was well above that of pure water there were probably other
issues with that ought to be taken care of first with an old Triumph.

There's a lot of buzz now, most of it generated by Evans, but the basic
heat transfer principles don't have me convinced.  It seems to me that
these waterless coolants are kind of a fad.  The pendulum swings.  I'm
running a lot higher water level in my coolant mix than I've used in years
past because planning for -20 F and below here in St. Louis isn't that
important (most of our winters) and giving my TR3B every chance to dump
heat into the coolant is more important to me.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There was discussion about this on the Wedge list and there were a couple
> of folks interested and somehow justified the cost.  But I don't know if
> anyone has tried it yet.
>
> Dave
>
> In a message dated 3/13/2013 1:15:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
> > On a segment of Wheeler Dealers they worked on a TR6, used a Waterless
> > Coolant. Evans NPG+C, said it would never boil, and last forever, I
> found it
> > on Amazon, but it is VERY EXPENSIVE. I wonder if anyone else has used it.
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:04:53 -0500

that's last forever, until a hose or ?? goes, and all that $$$ is on the 
pavement.  I just don't see it

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Explain This Overheating

Dave

In a message dated 3/13/2013 1:15:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:
> Coolant. Evans NPG+C, said it would never boil, and last forever, I found 
> it