Subject: Re: [TR] Distributor question

From: "Dixie4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 00:36:45 -0000

I do believe that the rough idle has nothing to do with your distributor. 
>From what you describe I would be thinking air leak somewhere on the 
induction side. I would spray light oil around all the joints, flanges and 
inlet manifold with the engine running if the engine suddenly runs smooth 
there is your leak. Be careful if you opt for a WD40 spray or similar it is 
highly inflammable.

Adrian
1966 TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Hooper" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Subject: [TR] Distributor question

>A long time back I fitted my 1972 TR6 with a Crane Cams XR700 
>opto-electronic
> ignition. It made starting much easier and being a gadget-guy I liked the
> principle of the thing. No complaints.
>
> My car has had a rather irregular idle forever. It's got a slightly warmed
> cam, triple Strombergs and a Falcon SS exhaust fed by a 6:1 header. I 
> replaced
> the distributor's vacuum retard and that brought down the idle speed a 
> great
> deal, but it is still lopey/rough. I recall that the reason I put in the 
> CC
> ignition was to help with the idle, but it didn't.
>
> Despite all sorts of valve adjustment, professional carb rebuilding etc, 
> the
> uneven idle persists. It was this way before the carbs and roller rockers 
> were
> put in. Nothing seems to affect it. The car drives very well and has very 
> good
> power through the rev range.
>
> The question: I had thought that removing the points would have made any
> looseness in the distributor shaft irrelevant. Was I wrong? Would having 
> the
> distributor re-bushed affect things, even if there are no longer any 
> points
> pushing on the shaft? I tire of hearing other's smoothly idling machines 
> while
> I have to rev the engine before jumping out to rapidly close the garage 
> door
> and then diving back in to goose the gas lest she quit.
>
> Mark Hooper
> 1972 TR6 (should be called Old Lumpy, to my everlasting shame)
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 2641/6180 - Release Date: 03/15/13

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

Any aerosol oil will be flammable.  Not just because the oil will burn but
also because the propellant is a Propane/isobutane mix.  Even aerosol
insecticides, which are mostly water based, carry the flammability warning.

Be sure to use in a well ventilated area to allow the flammable gases to
dissipate.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Dixie4 <[email-masked]>

Adrian

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:43:09 -0400 (EDT)

Mark, when you say lumpy what is the period of the oscillations?  It could be
just the nature of the camshaft.  Large amounts of overlap can cause idle
hunting.

However, I solved a limpy idle with new hoses to the charcoal canister showing
that a vacuum leak can lurk anywhere.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>

A long time back I fitted my 1972 TR6 with a Crane Cams XR700 opto-electronic
ignition. It made starting much easier and being a gadget-guy I liked the
principle of the thing. No complaints.

My car has had a rather irregular idle forever. It's got a slightly warmed
cam, triple Strombergs and a Falcon SS exhaust fed by a 6:1 header. I
replaced
the distributor's vacuum retard and that brought down the idle speed a great
deal, but it is still lopey/rough. I recall that the reason I put in the CC
ignition was to help with the idle, but it didn't.

Despite all sorts of valve adjustment, professional carb rebuilding etc, the
uneven idle persists. It was this way before the carbs and roller rockers
were
put in. Nothing seems to affect it. The car drives very well and has very
good
power through the rev range.

The question: I had thought that removing the points would have made any
looseness in the distributor shaft irrelevant. Was I wrong? Would having the
distributor re-bushed affect things, even if there are no longer any points
pushing on the shaft? I tire of hearing other's smoothly idling machines
while
I have to rev the engine before jumping out to rapidly close the garage door
and then diving back in to goose the gas lest she quit.

Mark Hooper