Subject: [TR] Electric Fan on TR4A

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:04:50 -0400 (EDT)

Dave,

I installed a puller on my TR4A radiator when the shop balancing the
crankshaft said they would have to remove crank metal to compensate for the
fan extension and blade (even the plastic one). With the mechanical fan
removed, there was lots of room for the JCW 16" fan I bought.

I drive the car a lot.  After a few years with this configuration, using the
fan only in traffic, I became concerned about the fan failing, stranding me
with no cooling fan at all.  So I carried a spare JCW 16" fan everywhere.
When I upgraded to an aluminum radiator, I installed the spare fan as a
pusher, so there are now two fans.  I use one and have only to reconnect the
wires to the other if primary fan fails.  Takes thirty seconds.  Built-in belt
and suspenders.  On the road, neither fan is required.

I removed the TR4A dash light rheostat (tied the wires together 'cause they're
never bright enough) and installed a stock heater fan switch, complete with
little fan symbol on it.  It looks sorta correct, but no one notices.  After
some "training", I just turn on the fan reflexively when in traffic.

Good luck with it!
George Haynes

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:18:51 -0500

most people say a puller works better.