Subject: [TR] Subject: Re: TR6 carb neadles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

In my experience, the jets do wear with the spring loaded needles.   Volvo 
even made a tool to move the jet in the body; it replaced the plug below  
the jet and screwed into the threads in the main body.  It would  push the jet 
up in a controlled manor, but the location needs to be exact, and  be 
measured by the proper exhaust mixture.  Even a  new adjustable needle often has 
too little range to deal with jet wear  alone.
Much lost time and spilled fuel over adjusting an early carb, let  alone 
most SUs.
 
TR Regards
Hardy

In a message dated 3/12/2013 11:01:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

From:  Randall <[email-masked]>
To: Triumphs  <[email-masked]>, Frank Fisher
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 carb  neadles

> got new jets but no new needle. what  
> the heck? 

That's so you can substitute the B1E needles that  supposedly work better 
with E10 (according to Joe Curto).

> first  how do you get that jet out?

This will sound somewhat heretical, but  what about just leaving the jet 
alone?  Unlike the earlier fixed needle  carbs, the jets rarely wear on the 
later carbs with the spring-loaded  needles.

As noted, it is pressed into place.  Some simple mandrels  are called for, 
you probably don't want to put pressure on the entire carb  body.  And there 
is no positive location for position (even though the  position is somewhat 
critical), so be sure to measure the old position and  duplicate it.

> how do you get the needle out?

Read the  excellent series of articles on how to rebuild ZS carbs  at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

> and  the needle was wobbly. you could push it
> sideways a little. is that  normal? yes we had the little grub screw 
screwed in
> and the little  brass collar turned so the slot lined up with the grub 
screw..
>   
> also we could pull the needle down and it would pop back in like its  on a
> spring. is that normal?

Yes, and yes.  Obviously you  don't want to pull too hard as the spring is 
what locates the needle in normal  operation.

---  Randall

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive