Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 steering column

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 19:26:59 -0500

Here is the situation...  The connector for the split steering column is
'stuck'.   I tried everything I could think of to get it separated/removed
from the inner column. 

I could remove the outer tube; the rubber portion of the bushing assembly
and a split metal bushing as well as the two rubber O-Rings - all over the
steering wheel end of the column.  There is one solid metal bushing still on
the inner column - not being able to slide it over the steering wheel end.
(this was all done in about 2001)

The O-Rings as I understand it are placed so that they split the inner
column into thirds.   
I can get the rubber part of the bushing where it is supposed to go but
can't figure out the split and solid bushing.  Which one goes with the
rubber part at the bottom end?  and then, where does the other one go?  It
would seem that if I couldn't get the solid one off that the split one goes
on the top end but it would also be possible to compress and slide the split
one inside the other to the bottom end.  

Finally, the parts manual calls for two felt pieces at the top end but I can
only see how one would fit between the indent I mentioned and the top of the
column.

To say the least - today has been a frustrating day.
Although not part of the original plan, I will be ordering a replacement
bushing (maybe with urethane insert) to replace the rubber one that was NOS
but sitting in a drawer for 12 years and has cracked with all of the
twisting and turning today.  (Thoughts about urethane TRF#209423/u?)  

One other thought.  I am not there yet, but should the control head be
attached and wires fed through the stator tube before inserting into the
column - or after?
any guidance will be appreciated.

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
Tampa, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:[email-masked]]
Indented ring goes at the top, holds the felt bushing.  Pair of holes go at
the bottom, holds the steel/rubber/nylon bushing assembly.

-- Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:57:23 -0600

I have always made up the control head complete and the fed the wires & tube
through the steering column.  Just seemed like the easiet way for me. 

Don't foret the olive!

Bill 

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there"  Will Rodgers

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of CFM-TR
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:27 PM
To: ''Triumphs''
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 steering column

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO

-----Original Message-----

-- Randall 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 18:00:46 -0800

> 'stuck'.   I tried everything I could think of to get it 

You've removed the bolts entirely, of course.  Have you tried driving a
screwdriver blade into the slot (through where the bolt was) to spread the
collar a bit more?  Soaked in PBB?  Tapped (more or less gently) with a BFH
on the bolt 'ears'?

Maybe it's time to drop the apron and remove the steering box and column as
a unit (like those of us with earlier cars have to do).  I'd be reluctant to
pound very hard against the bearings, worm and peg inside the steering box.

> There is one solid metal bushing still on the inner 
> column - not being able to slide it over the steering wheel end.

I'm afraid you lost me there.  Maybe it's just been too long, but I don't
recall any metal bushing except for the one inside the assembly at the
bottom (which was split at least on my car).  Unless maybe the later split
columns used a bushing inside the felt ring?  That area was quite a bit
larger as I recall, so using a sleeve there would probably reduce cost.  But
I don't remember any signs it would come apart there, and I can't seem to
find one at the moment to look at.

> The O-Rings as I understand it are placed so that they split the inner

Although not listed that way in the catalogs, it's my belief that those were
deleted for the split column.  At any rate, it doesn't seem like they could
do anything with the shaft supported so close to either side.  If you are
hitting bumps hard enough to bend those tubes enough to touch, then you've
got a lot worse problems than some rattling from the steering column!  I
didn't even find any inside TS13571L, so they may have been deleted much
earlier.

> Finally, the parts manual calls for two felt pieces at the 
> top end but I can only see how one would fit between the 
> indent I mentioned and the top of the column.

Me too.  The drawing only shows one, and the workshop manual refers to it as
singular, so I think that might be a misprint in the parts book.  The other
possibility is that the original felt was much smaller.  The replacement I
got was too thick anyway, I eventually machined a Delrin bushing instead.

> (Thoughts about urethane TRF#209423/u?

Can't see the advantage myself.  On a TR3A, those joints take no side force
at all (except from vibration) and the original nylon seemed to hold up just
fine.  I think the urethane version may be more appropriate for later cars
with flexible joints in the column (and even then Delrin seems like a better
choice to me).

> One other thought.  I am not there yet, but should the 
> control head be attached and wires fed through the stator 
> tube before inserting into the column - or after?

For sure get the column assembled and adjusted first.  Everything has to get
lined up "just so" to get it to turn freely.  (Probably best to complete
this phase with the Pitman arm disconnected so you can more easily feel any
drag.)

As far as feeding the wires through the stator tube though, I'd say it's
pretty much a wash. When I'm R&R'ing the same components, I like to leave
the wire in the tube just because it saves having to fish a pulling wire
through the tube and fasten it to the electrical wires.  But if you have to
do that anyway, the extra ease of fishing the wires with the tube off the
car just about balances the extra hassle of having to support the wires and
control head while installing the tube, IMO.

-- Randall