Subject: [TR] aluminum radiators

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:17:42 -0500

I see aluminum radiators being advertised on eBay for not much more than the
cost of recoring my old one.  Does anyone have experience with these
radiators?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:47:30 -0500 (EST)

I'm changing the topic a bit here, but I had my original radiator re-cored  
with a thicker core and no crank hole, only because I fitted a 
gear-reduction  starter motor and thought the new starter would be reliable enough that 
I would  not need the hole in the radiator. 
 
I always kept the cooling system well-flushed and full of fresh coolant.  
The engine now runs much cooler, but I have also incorporated a high-output  
water pump from TRF, which is a brilliant product in my opinion. 
 
My understanding is that aluminium radiators not only cool better but last  
much longer. I am delighted with the cooling aspects of my re-cored  
non-aluminium radiator and I am hoping that, with the mileages and care that our  
vehicles are subjected to, an aluminium one may not be necessary.
 
Tim TR3A TS22930LO

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:13:09 -0700

> vehicles are subjected to, an aluminium one may not be necessary.
It helps aluminum radiators if you install a sacrificial anode, make 
sure you have a very good ground strap between the engine and frame that 
has clean tight connections and use the correct antifreeze.

Now that I have been reminded, I have a used brass TR3 radiator sitting 
in the garage for the past 3 years that was re-cored with a thicker core 
that is not partially blocked by a starter hole. It has spent 5 or 6 
years on the car before it was removed and put in the garage.  As I 
remember it was in good dirty condition.  Anyway it is looking for a new 
home. If anyone is interested please contact me. It is located in 
Flagstaff just off of I-40.

Any proceeds to go to my side curtain rebuilding fund.

TeriAnn