Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 steering rack - steers and tracks nicely - but steering shaft can move in/out 1/4 inch

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:11:26 -0500

I don't think it is the thrust washers or the rack. There are four  
splined joints between the wheel and the rack (two for each rubber u- 
joint). This is what I found, also on a '63. For whatever reason,  
these splines wear and try as you might, you cannot tighten the bolt  
to clamp the shaft. It will be "good enough" because the bolt passes  
through a groove in the shaft and the joints won't come apart, but it  
will be just loose enough to push and pull the steering wheel about a  
1/4 inch. I got another joint from a friend that was a little bit  
better. I don't know what is available new.

Allen

On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

>  I hadn't noticed but when I
> pull/push on the steering wheel it moves away from the dash 1/4 inch  
> or
> slightly more -- That movement is enough to push the horn button out.
>
> So - Steering wheel is tightly attached.  the shaft is moving in and  
> out of
> the steering gearbox.   I guess the thrust washers are gone.  But  
> the pics
> in the book don't look like they are that thick.
>
> Has anyone had a similar situation that they were able to effect
> satisfactory repairs?  Or am I in the market for a rebuilt rack?   
> The lack
> of a horn is enough safety reason to repair now vs later.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 06:23:10 -0500

I just rechecked.  The shaft is definitely moving in and out of the the
steering rack.  The joints are solid.

Thanks for the response, just the same - someone in the future with a
similar problem will find your answer in the archives.

All the best,  Chris