Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Seat frame common problems

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 08:55:25 -0600

Yes.  Cover or round-off any sharp edges that will press against the covers.
I learned this the hard way when a sharp edge tore my brand-effing new
passenger's side seat cover.

On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:38 AM, Chris Simo wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I've looked on the web and in the archives - (Buckeye, RedRiver, 6-pack,
> other various message boards). Other than wire brushing and blasting - are
> there any other preventive measures I should take with the frames,  common
> problems I can avoid later?
>
> I've been doing some mechanical work on the 6 - I've welded up the diff
> mounts front and rear; replaced the ujoints; and am waiting for my diff to
> come back from my gearman (that and rear hubs are about the only thing on
> this car I did not want to do myself).
>
> So while waiting, I figured I'd tackle the interior - dashboard and
> seats primarily.
>
> I removed the seat cover from seat 1 - no rips or tears.  And dumped out a
> pile of crumbly decayed foam all over my bench, floor and feet.  The frame
> was covered in duct tape and a few pieces of foam here and there, so the
> covers have come off once before or are replacement covers. I also made
> 11cents and think I found a half of something that resembles a hand rolled
> cigarette... oh the tales our cars could tell.
>
> My plan (for now)  is to replace the diaphragms  cut some hi
> density foam for the seat and middle density for the backs and put the
> covers back on.  I intend to keep the covers a bit loose to reduce the
> chance of them splitting apart once the new foam applies pressure.  Fingers
> crossed.
>
> There are two knobs on the side of the seat.I hadn't figured out what they
> do as neither one moves.  The chrome one is for reclining the seat - after
> alot of PB blaster, this now works. I think the other pointy knob is for
> sticking in your butt cheek as you enter the car.  That hurts!!!  i'm
> hoping that some foam in the seats will reduce the pain.
>
> So - back to the original question:  Other than wire brushing and blasting
> - are there any other preventive measures I should take with the frames,
> common problems I can avoid later?
>
> Thanks
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 09:32:16 -0600

I don't know if I have great words of wisdom as to how to preserve the seat 
frames, but I will say that I know they can rust, my TR250 frames were 
mostly crumbly red flakes on the bottom portions.  I spent quite a bit of 
time fabricating and welding and grinding up some fiddly little bits to 
repair it.

But this was on a car that had been stored indoors and outdoors and who 
knows where for many years, unless you live in a very corrosive environment, 
such as down by the ocean the things should last pretty long with a fresh 
coat of paint.  I like to use Rust Oleum rusty metal primer followed by the 
appropriate top coat color from them, and have painted many parts as well as 
rusty cast iron outdoor furniture with the stuff and it seems to hold 
corrosion at bay pretty well.

Or you could use epoxy primer, but that may be overkill.

Let us know how the foam replacement goes, I put a 1/2" thick foam piece in 
the seat base to bolster up the seats (which worked pretty well) and to try 
to control the  crumbling of the stuff that was in there, but mine still 
leave lots of little bits of foam rubber under the seats.

Greg Lemon

---

From: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 07:48:05 -0500

Chris
I've done about 6 sets of TR6 seats and I can say that if the frames aren't
rusty you should be fine. Sand, prime, paint and lubricate the hinges. The
"butt cheek" sticker is to disengage the seat from the rear catch so you can
pull the seat forward and give access to the area behind the seats. You'll
have to fiddle with the adjustment to ensure the seat actually locks down to
the runners. As far as using old covers, I've done it and don't recommend it.
While they may seem in good condition, once you start using them the stitching
gives way and they usually fall apart. Now you end up doing it all over again.
I would recommend replacing them while you have them apart. The old saying of
"do it right or do it twice" has bitten my more than once and it's too big a
job to have to do twice. Also, Victoria British used to have a very nice
booklet on reupholstering TR6 seats which was part of the catalogue. You may
find it posted on line.
Larry Miceli

Sent from my iPhone

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:53:12 -0500

The seats are done. I had to reweld two nuts and  weld a frame member.

I paid 45 dollars for foam. I cut it with an electric carving knife. They
are back together and looking good, not great. Based on input from the
list, I left some slack in the foam and in the covering. The sit very good.
Lets hope they last a while.