Subject: Re: [TR] wire wheels fit

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:36:40 -0600

No play at all.  If an adaptor is used to the point where the splines are worn
down and allow play, I would toss them on the scrap pile.  Not aware of any
process to rebuild one.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Feb 4, 2013, at 7:19 PM, Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]> wrote:

wondering if there is a way to measure "play" in used wire wheel adaptors
when
attached to new wire wheels?  I have some used adaptors and would like to use
them on new wheels but am aware of the danger of doing this.  I'm just
wondering if a person could mount them and then test the "play" and if that
would be a valid test?

Has anyone "been there done that"?

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:54:25 -0700

On 2/4/13 6:19 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> wondering if there is a way to measure "play" in used wire wheel adaptors when
First there should be absolutely no play.

Second, the condition of a hub spline can be checked visually.  The 
individual splines on a like new hub do not come to a point. There is a 
flat area at the top. If the splines come to a sharp point they are 
badly worn.  It the point is tilted a little to one side they are 
desperately worn. Compare the part of the spline that the wheel does not 
ride against with the part that engages the wheel and look for wear.

TeriAnn

---

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:26:39 -0800

I went through a similar exercise with my '71 Stag. In addition to the 4
wires + spare I have a handful of spare hubs and wheels they all show some
play, but I minimized them by swapping hubs and wheel combinations.

As much as I like my Stag with wire wheels, when they really show signs of
major wear, I'll for for something after market/ way cheaper.

Sujit

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]>wrote:

> flat area at the top. If the splines come to a sharp point they are badly
> worn.  It the point is tilted a little to one side they are desperately
> worn. Compare the part of the spline that the wheel does not ride against
> with the part that engages the wheel and look for wear.
>
> TeriAnn
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/triumphstag@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
>

-- 
Sujit Roy, Realtor
Cupertino, CA
(408) 839-8359