Subject: [TR] TR3A OD switch question

From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:05:43 -0600 (CST)

Finally getting around to putting in the OD switch. I must have 20-25 pictures with the switch visible but none that show whether the 'script' faces the driver or the outside.  Did the normal search of the internet and found images of both and references to both (as well as the question of whether it is up off or on.  
 
The toggle location is on the opposite half of the switch which means that if the script is facing inward, the toggle is on the outer half.
Is it just a matter of personal taste?
 
Thanks

Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
Tampa, Florida

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:19:57 -0800

IMO there is enough confusion over this topic that no one can say with
certainty what is "correct".  So might as well suit yourself.

Just to illustrate the confusion, Piggott clearly shows a switch installed
in a RHD car, with the lettering on the right and hence the toggle on the
inboard side.  The caption mentions that the switch is in the "correct
position", but doesn't comment about orientation.  However, the photo on
page 8 of "Practical Hints" shows the toggle on the outboard side! (on a RHD
car of course).

Personally, I prefer the toggle on the inboard side as it puts the lever
just slightly closer to my fingers; so I don't have to move my hand as far
to flip the switch while driving.

I think there is no question that down was on, originally.  But TS39781LO
had it reversed when it came to me, so I kept that arrangement.

Even though the original hole in the dash is D-shaped, you can achieve all 4
configurations by removing the 3 screws from the body of the switch and
assembling appropriately.  The mounting shaft will engage with the case in
either orientation, and the wires can be moved to get "on" in either
position.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:40:31 -0800

> Referring to right and left hand steer sidescreen TR's the 
> overdrive switch always had the lettering on the 'road' side 
> of the switch.

I'm sure you're right; but how do you explain the photograph in Practical
Hints?

-- Randall