Subject: Re: [TR] heli coiling aluminum cylinder head.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:11:45 -0500

Why don't you simply drill two holes in your guide block? One to match the
drill size and one to match the tap diameter.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> Im planning to heli coil the threads on my inlet manifold on my Stag. To
> make sure the drill is perpendicular to the surface of the head, I plan to
> have someone make me a 1 inch thick block and drill a perpendicular hole
> in
> it. I plan to use this as a guide.
>
>
> My issue is how to I make sure the Recoil brand of tap I have goes in
> perpendicular to the hole in the cylinder head?  Im not sure what a Heli
> coil tap looks, like but the recoil brand does not have a long taper.
>
> Should I make another 1 inch block with a hole, tap that first, and then
> butt the 1 inch block up against the cylinder head and then tap the
> threads
> in the head through the 1 inch block block? Is this part over kill?
> Sujit
>
> --
> Sujit Roy, Realtor
> Cupertino, CA
> (408) 839-8359

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:18:31 -0500 (EST)

Same thing.  Have a hole that is sized just big enough for the tap.

BTW, a piece of square tubing works just as wall and is much cheaper.  I've
got one for 1/4 and for 10-32.  Any drill press with the table squared up will
do a fine job.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm
Subject: [TR] heli coiling aluminum cylinder head.

Im planning to heli coil the threads on my inlet manifold on my Stag. To
make sure the drill is perpendicular to the surface of the head, I plan to
have someone make me a 1 inch thick block and drill a perpendicular hole in
it. I plan to use this as a guide.

Should I make another 1 inch block with a hole, tap that first, and then
butt the 1 inch block up against the cylinder head and then tap the threads
in the head through the 1 inch block block? Is this part over kill?
Sujit

--
Sujit Roy, Realtor
Cupertino, CA
(408) 839-8359

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:23:56 -0500 (EST)

Sorry, sent too soon.

Yes, that is overkill. Jjust make a hole that is sized just larger than the
tap.  I have a block that I have used for years  with a hole sized to the
following taps: 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32.  I just recently make a similar block
using 1X1 square steel tubing for the helicoil job I just did.

BTW, using these blocks sure reduces tap breakage.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>Should I make another 1 inch block with
a hole, tap that first, and thenbutt the 1 inch block up against the cylinder
head and then tap the threadsin the head through the 1 inch block block? Is
this part over kill?Sujit--