Subject: [TR] TR6 Door Skin Installation

From: "D&B Lambert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:20:40 -0800

After removing the paint from the drivers door on my 71 TR6 restoration
project I find that door has sustained accident damage some time in it's
past and was apparently repaired by the cheapest, fastest method: plenty of
filler.  No rust on the door, just lots and lots of bondo - about 3/8 of an
inch in places.  Can anyone comment on the difficulty of installing a new
door skin?  The door frame seems to be fine.  I could try to tap out the
dents and shrink the panel back into shape, but my body working skills are
somewhat mediocre. Any been-there-done-that experience in installing new
door skins that anybody can relate?  Door skins are not cheap, but I'm not
wanting to simply re-stuff the door with bondo like some DPO was.

As always, thanks.

Dennis

Orange, CA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Mathews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:41:58 -0500

Door skins are not that hard to do really, especially after the first 
one. Usually removing the old skns can be more difficult.  If you are 
not going to have the door painted at the time the skins go on  and wilt 
repaint the whole car once the body work has been done, it might not be 
too expensive to take your doors and new skins to a body shop and let 
them do it. If they are the ones that might do the repaint, you should 
get a pretty good deal. A good body guys should be able to re-skin the 
door in a morning easy.

Doug