Subject: [TR] off topic question about 1993 Oldsmobile Sierra cutlass

From: "Ron L'Herault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:23:10 -0500

Listmates, 

My daughter is driving the above-referenced vehicle.  It has less than 80K
on it but is quite rusty underneath.  Not unsafe as far as mechanics can
tell.  She's been told that the fuel pump died and the shop wants close to
$800 to fix it.   I guess its inside the fuel tank.   Would it be possible
to add an electric fuel pump somewhere else and leave the dead one in the
tank?   Which pump?  Where should it go?   The old tank runs well and she
drives it around the Boston area so who wants a nice car in the nasty city?
She can't afford one and neither can I anyhow. 

Thanks,

Ron L

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jody Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 08:43:35 -0700

I don't think you can install an inline pump. The pump in that car is
for FI and it draws up. An external inline would require gravity feed
from a surge tank of some sort.

The cost here is primarily in labor. It's not necessarily a tough job,
just an annoying one. :)

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Ron L'Herault <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
http://www.theymightberacing.com/

1953 Studebaker Champion            1960 Austin Healey 3000 (BT7L/5479)
1974 Jensen Healey MKII (14291)   1974 Jensen Healey MKII (18854)
1978 Triumph Spitfire (Mum's)         1981 Triumph TR8
1970 MG MGB                               1980 Triumph TR7
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
disinclination to do so."
--Douglas Adams

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:00:57 -0500

I'd try a different shop.  I had the pump done on my 95 Buick and the charge including the pump was under $500 just a couple of years ago.  In my case though, they discovered that the tank was bad as well.  Had to scour the country to find one, and it wound up being another $500 with shipping.

Might be worth a try installing an in-line pump.  The in-tank pump is probably the same as mine, and it is a centrifugal design, so I would think that an external pump would be able to suck enough fuel through it and the pick up screen.  Be sure to get a pump that will deliver at least 40 psi, though.  Install close to the tank and down as low as possible, to make it easier for it to suck enough fuel.

I don't recall offhand if my Buick has a return line or not.  If your daughter's Olds doesn't have one, you'll probably have to add one.  The reason they put the pumps inside the tank is to keep them cool, but an external pump is cooled by the fuel flowing through it.  With nearly no fuel flowing at idle, the pump may heat the fuel enough to cause vapor lock.

Randall