Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A OD switch question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:21:27 -0500

It would make sense to me that the driver be able to read the script. The
switch has three teminals inside and can be wired for "ON" in the down
position for either mounting, but the dash has a "D" shaped hole with a
flat on the bottom that might make the decision for you.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> Finally getting around to putting in the OD switch. I must have 20-25
> pictures with the switch visible but none that show whether the 'script'
> faces the driver or the outside.  Did the normal search of the internet
> and found images of both and references to both (as well as the question
> of whether it is up off or on.
>
> The toggle location is on the opposite half of the switch which means that
> if the script is facing inward, the toggle is on the outer half.
> Is it just a matter of personal taste?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carl
> 1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
> mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a
> Tampa, Florida
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Carl-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:33:20 -0500

My panel hole is round so it can be mounted sideways if wanted....  (not).

I 'played' with how it felt last night.  I decided that it felt more natural
for the switch to be on the inboard half which means the lettering is facing
out.    I haven't completed the wiring connections but based on Randall's
comments below it can flip either way.   Up=on is normal convention in the
states so I will go that route - no need confusing this old brain any more
than it already is....  

Thanks 
Carl
1961 TR3A - TS81802LO
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
"Sitting in the car - steering wheel in hand - getting so close I can taste
it."
Tampa, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:20 PM
To: 'Carl TR'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A OD switch question

IMO there is enough confusion over this topic that no one can say with
certainty what is "correct".  So might as well suit yourself.

Just to illustrate the confusion, Piggott clearly shows a switch installed
in a RHD car, with the lettering on the right and hence the toggle on the
inboard side.  The caption mentions that the switch is in the "correct
position", but doesn't comment about orientation.  However, the photo on
page 8 of "Practical Hints" shows the toggle on the outboard side! (on a RHD
car of course).

Personally, I prefer the toggle on the inboard side as it puts the lever
just slightly closer to my fingers; so I don't have to move my hand as far
to flip the switch while driving.

I think there is no question that down was on, originally.  But TS39781LO
had it reversed when it came to me, so I kept that arrangement.

Even though the original hole in the dash is D-shaped, you can achieve all 4
configurations by removing the 3 screws from the body of the switch and
assembling appropriately.  The mounting shaft will engage with the case in
either orientation, and the wires can be moved to get "on" in either
position.

-- Randall

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:03:34 +0000 (GMT)

Sometimes the most obscure of queries can be answered with absolute clarity.
Referring to right and left hand steer sidescreen TR's the overdrive switch
always had the lettering on the 'road' side of the switch. Additionally, the
switch was always moved up to engage (as in changing 'up' a gear). The switch
also was moved 'up' to engage overdrive on Vanguard, Ensign, and Standard 10
models.
It was only with the introduction of 2000 saloon, TR4 and
Herald/Vitesse, that the overdrive stalk was steering nacelle mounted and the
switched engagement was 'down' to engage o/d. This obviously continued to
later variants whether the o/d switch moved to the gear lever.

Jonmac

________________________________

From: Carl-TR <[email-masked]>
To:
'Randall' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, 11
February 2013, 13:33
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A OD switch question

>My panel
hole is round so it can be mounted sideways if wanted....  (not).
>I
'played' with how it felt last night.  I decided that it felt more natural
>I think there is
no question that down was on, originally.  But TS39781LO
>had it reversed when
it came to me, so I kept that arrangement.
>
>Even though the original hole in
the dash is D-shaped, you can achieve all 4
>assembling appropriately.  The
mounting shaft will engage with the case in
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]