Subject: [TR] TR4 steering rack - steers and tracks nicely - but steering shaft can move in/out 1/4 inch

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:32:05 -0500

Had the 63 TR4 out yesterday for a club Chilli run.   Was chilly for sure.
 Top down for the first half of the ride.  Got cloudy and went for comfort
for the second half.

Even at 70 mph the car tracked and rode nicely.

In getting the car ready, I decided to look a little more at the problem
with my horn button -  It kept falling out.   I fiddled with the
springs/keeper and snapped it in place. Done!  Not Done!

I sat in the seat and made Vroom Vroom noises and was steering back and
forth and the horn button came out again.  I hadn't noticed but when I
pull/push on the steering wheel it moves away from the dash 1/4 inch or
slightly more -- That movement is enough to push the horn button out.

So - Steering wheel is tightly attached.  the shaft is moving in and out of
the steering gearbox.   I guess the thrust washers are gone.  But the pics
in the book don't look like they are that thick.

Has anyone had a similar situation that they were able to effect
satisfactory repairs?  Or am I in the market for a rebuilt rack?  The lack
of a horn is enough safety reason to repair now vs later.

Thanks

Chris

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:01:32 -0800

> For whatever reason,  
> these splines wear and try as you might, you cannot tighten the bolt  
> to clamp the shaft.

Hmm.  Time to steal a trick from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance"?

-- Randall