Subject: [TR] TR6 Seat frame common problems

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 09:38:08 -0500

Hi Team,

I've looked on the web and in the archives - (Buckeye, RedRiver, 6-pack,
other various message boards). Other than wire brushing and blasting - are
there any other preventive measures I should take with the frames,  common
problems I can avoid later?

I've been doing some mechanical work on the 6 - I've welded up the diff
mounts front and rear; replaced the ujoints; and am waiting for my diff to
come back from my gearman (that and rear hubs are about the only thing on
this car I did not want to do myself).

So while waiting, I figured I'd tackle the interior - dashboard and
seats primarily.

I removed the seat cover from seat 1 - no rips or tears.  And dumped out a
pile of crumbly decayed foam all over my bench, floor and feet.  The frame
was covered in duct tape and a few pieces of foam here and there, so the
covers have come off once before or are replacement covers. I also made
11cents and think I found a half of something that resembles a hand rolled
cigarette... oh the tales our cars could tell.

My plan (for now)  is to replace the diaphragms  cut some hi
density foam for the seat and middle density for the backs and put the
covers back on.  I intend to keep the covers a bit loose to reduce the
chance of them splitting apart once the new foam applies pressure.  Fingers
crossed.

There are two knobs on the side of the seat.I hadn't figured out what they
do as neither one moves.  The chrome one is for reclining the seat - after
alot of PB blaster, this now works. I think the other pointy knob is for
sticking in your butt cheek as you enter the car.  That hurts!!!  i'm
hoping that some foam in the seats will reduce the pain.

So - back to the original question:  Other than wire brushing and blasting
- are there any other preventive measures I should take with the frames,
 common problems I can avoid later?

Thanks

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive