Subject: [TR] polarity question

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:40:34 -0500

My understanding was it was a fairly simple exercise to convert positive
ground to negative ground, namely wire everything the same (apart from the
battery) and then touch the smaller generator terminal (green/yellow)to the
positive pole of the battery a few times to re-polarize the generator.

Did all this and still the battery is not charging.  But if I bridge the
green and yellow) to the positive pole of the battery, the generator will
charge and the ignition light will go out.

What I am missing here?  Was there a step two I forgot?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:26:52 -0500

A couple of thoughts -

1. The ignition coil will need to be reversed.
2. You may need a new regulator that is designed for the negative ground.
I'm guessing that this project involves a generator.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 5:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] polarity question

Andrew Uprichard

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:52:08 -0500

> positive pole of the battery a few times to re-polarize the generator.

That should work.  It is best to swap the connections to the ignition coil and ammeter, but that won't have any effect on the charging system.

Hate to say it, but I think you have some other failure that just happened to coincide with the change in battery polarity.  There are some tests outlined at
http://goo.gl/mQy6i
that might help.

BTW, be really careful about bridging the green/yellow to the battery while the engine is running.  That drives the generator to full output, and it can put out enough current to damage itself.  A few seconds will probably be OK, but don't try to drive that way.

Randall

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:04:13 -0500

---- Karl Vacek <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Just lift one end and set it back down again, and it may
> well read different by a couple of tenths of a degree or more.  

Sounds defective to me, my 3' bubble level is better than that. (0.2 degrees over 4 feet is more than 1/8")   Take it back.

Sorry, can't help with the smart level.  Around here, even if it is dead nuts today, there'll likely be an earthquake next week and it won't be any more.  I probably use the 8" torpedo level as much as the 3 footer, though.

Randall