Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 Badge fastening

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:33:38 -0500

I used spring clips but the rattling drove me crazy.  Epoxy did the job for
me.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Angelo Graham
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR2/3 Badge fastening

Hello List:
Wondering what techniques listers have used to fasten the badges (&
letters) to the front clip and rear deck (TR2). I have used the pegs on the
backside of the badge and the "spring clips", but never really satisfied
with the fit. Also worried about how easy it would be to simply lift the
badge off the body.
Anyone use anything else? Almost tempted to use epoxy and worry about the
consequences later.
Thanks for any insights.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:47:38 +0000 (GMT)

As the badge is the same shape as the Standard-Triumph 'shell' that appeared
on Triumph Tens, I've used a craft knife + nail scissors to cut a piece of
flat rubber about 1/16th" thick to the outline of the badge. I've then
sandwiched it between panel and the back of the badge. If you then press on
the spring clips, the rubber removes sloppiness and the badge snugs down
sufficiently tightly to prevent water getting under the rubber. Didn't rattle,
didn't get stolen. Worked for me

Jonmac

>________________________________
>
From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Monday, 21 January 2013, 21:43
>Wondering what techniques listers have used to fasten the badges
(& letters) to the front clip and rear deck (TR2). I have used the pegs on the
backside of the badge and the "spring clips", but never really satisfied with
the fit. Also worried about how easy it would be to simply lift the badge off
the body.
>Anyone use anything else? Almost tempted to use epoxy and worry
about the consequences later.
>Thanks for any insights.
>Angelo Graham
>
>**
[email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:17:27 -0700

I secured mine using short pieces of rubber tubing - the sort with a tiny
I.D. and a thick wall, may be called vacuum hose.

Most of the letters can be held with one length of tubing (about an inch
long) bent into a U and fit over both pegs.  Some letters/locations worked
better with a pair of 1/4" lengths over the pegs.

The advantage of this method is that the letters can be quicly removed for
polishing and waxing the area.  The front badges are affixed in the usual
manner (would be hard to get to to undo and anyway are easier to wax
around).

Have never had one come loose yet.

Geo

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>wrote:

> letters) to the front clip and rear deck (TR2).

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:30:33 -0600

I had the same issue of the movement, worried about the paint, but used a
dab of clear silicone on the back of each post.  Now they are all secure and
would be fairly easy to remove is needed.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:34 PM
To: 'Angelo Graham'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 Badge fastening

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----

Hello List:

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:18:52 -0500

My tr2 had the Triumph badge on the back.  Though not original for it, I
intended to keep it until i realized it was off center by about an inch.

I've had people ask me if i dechromed it...
On Jan 21, 2013 7:06 PM, "Randall" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I believe a TR2 should have only the badge, no letters.  Late TR3s did
> sometimes have the Triumph script in the rear, but mine doesn't.
>
> > Anyone use anything else?
>
> I'm not quite sure where they came from, but I used spring nuts that have a
> hex formed into them, so they can be tightened with a nut driver.  Similar
> to these
> http://goo.gl/LCKNb
>
> To use what appear to be the factory type flat spring nuts, I think you
> should support the badge in some fashion and then use a round hollow tool
> (perhaps a very small socket) to tap the spring nut down and lock it in
> place.  That should provide some spring action to hold the badge securely
> against the nose.  The fingers of the spring nut should dig into the post,
> so that it won't come apart unless something breaks.  To disassemble, cut
> the spring nut with a Dremel cutoff blade.
>
> -- Randall
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]