Subject: Re: [TR] thots on side curtains

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:50:22 -0600

my brother had a tr3; his only car, when he was stationed at some base in 
massachusetts.  we lived in philadelphia.  I remember him heading back to 
the base one winter evening, full winter clothing including ski gloves, 
inside the car.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Gary Nafziger
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] thots on side curtains

While working with my side curtains I've been impressed by how sloppy the 
worn
ones fit as well as how hard it is to get a good tight fit on re-built ones.
It made me wonder about how many brand new tr-3's were daily drivers back 
then
throughout the whole year including winter especially in the midwest.
I can't
imagine a tr-3 even all buttoned up sitting outside during a midwest winter.
Rain mostly comes straight down but blowing snow could sift through the
smallest opening and cover the whole inside; then melt.  Imagine 3 day white
out blizzards with 25-30 mile winds!
Anyone have these type of experiences?
LOL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:45:20 -0600

The PO of my TR3B owned it for over 20 years in New England and it was his
daily driver.  He told stories of driving to his job at IBM, strict dress
code, in a blue suit and tie and how long it took to clean up after he
arrived.

I had one as a primary driver for a year in Virginia, rainy inside and out,
demisters were a joke.  Forget the wipers.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gary Nafziger
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] thots on side curtains

While working with my side curtains I've been impressed by how sloppy the
worn ones fit as well as how hard it is to get a good tight fit on re-built
ones. 
It made me wonder about how many brand new tr-3's were daily drivers back
then throughout the whole year including winter especially in the midwest.
I can't
imagine a tr-3 even all buttoned up sitting outside during a midwest winter.

gary n.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:48:56 -0500

We had our TR3 in Minot ND while stationed there.  Had a very small block 
heater that allowed me two engine turnovers as long as the clutch was in. 
If it didn't start on the two turns, it wasn't going to start until 
afternoon.  Just like you describe, the snow comes in the car, settles on 
the seat, and thaws when you sit on it.  After the third day of winter the 
seat becomes a block of ice.  Although we only lived about 10 minutes from 
work, I always had a wet seat by the time I got there.  Carried a towel in 
the car to sit on.  Kept me dry and worked like a champ.

Also used the car for varmit hunting in the winter.  Had to wear full 
outdoor gear when going down the highway.  The "heater" kept the windshield 
clear once it got going and after you scraped the inside and outside glass 
first.  Lots of great stories from that car - always an adventure when we 
drove it.  Still have a TR although the one in Minot made it to Guam, but 
became too rusted to return home.  The cross country trip to California is 
another story, but I made it without a breakdown.
Pete