Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:26:20 -0800

Anybody out there know what the gear ratios for a TR3 were?

Considering a T5 swap (over the Toyota) and want to insure that the
performance is close (or improved).

Also - anybody want to weigh in on a rack and pinion conversion?  The kits
seem a bit overpriced, and I'm pretty handy, so I'm curious as to what
others have done.

Just sold my big healey and want to make my TR3 into a more comfortable
touring car.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:41:40 -0800

>From Practical Hints 4th ed:

1st	 3.38
2nd	 2.00
2nd OD 1.64
3rd	 1.325
3rd OD 1.09
4th	 1.00
4th OD 0.82

> Considering a T5 swap (over the Toyota) and want to insure 
> that the performance is close (or improved).

My opinion, the stock 1st gear is too low for good performance.  I prefer
the later 3.14 ratio (which is what I have in my TR3).

> Also - anybody want to weigh in on a rack and pinion 
> conversion?  The kits seem a bit overpriced, and I'm pretty 
> handy, so I'm curious as to what others have done.

Bob Schaller sketched a home-brew conversion in "More BS about TRs".

Personally, I don't see the point.  The stock steering can be made to work
quite well and the conversions lose at least part of the function of the
control head (which seems like part of the charm of the car, to me).  But
then, I would never trade my overdrive for a mere 5 speed either!

> Just sold my big healey and want to make my TR3 into a more 
> comfortable touring car.

I drive mine practically every day, put over 200,000 miles on the previous
TR3A (before it got wrecked).  IMO the best improvements for a touring car
would be wider wheels (so you can use modern tires that both grip and ride
better) and putting UHMW (or Teflon) between the rear spring leaves.  Add an
electric fan (for stop and go traffic) and you have a car that you can drive
anywhere.

One of my plans for after I retire is to drive what remains of Route 66 from
LA to Chicago in my Tr3.  Then maybe US 60 on the way back.  Although it has
no trouble at all running at 70-80 mph on the Interstate, I find the ride
much more enjoyable at 60 with frequent stops.

Randall