Subject: [TR] TR6 Differential oil fill plug

From: robert rudolphi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 05:24:03 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

I went to top off my differential (74 TR6) yesterday and
noticed there is a square headed bolt that I don't seem to have a socket the
right size to fit. No matter what I used it seems to begin to strip. I was
wondering if anyone knew the correct size and name for the best socket to
remove this bolt.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Robert Rudolphi
74
TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Massey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:58:52 -0500 (EST)

Roadster Factory (and maybe Moss, too) carry a special wrench just for that.
This wrench, developed by Joe Alexander (on this list) with a square hole on
one end for the square headed plugs on transmissions and differentials and a
1/4 inch square hole on the other end for brake bleeders.  This should be
standard equipment in any tool kit.

I don't know if this is the case but if it IS a 3/8 square head you can put a
3/8 socket on backwards (you may have to file on the plug where it has been
rounded off) and drive the socket with a hex key.  Or you can get a coupler at
the hardware store in any convenient size.

Some folks routinely replace these with hex head variety or the hex socket
type.  Not a bad idea.  I have a brass hex head plug on the TR6 transmission.

Dave Massey

-----Original Message-----
From: robert rudolphi <[email-masked]>

Hello All,I went to top off my differential (74 TR6) yesterday andnoticed
there is a square headed bolt that I don't seem to have a socket theright size
to fit. No matter what I used it seems to begin to strip. I waswondering if
anyone knew the correct size and name for the best socket toremove this
bolt.Thanks in advance for any assistance.Robert Rudolphi74TR6

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:10:37 -0500

Robert,

What you are looking for is an 8 point socket - works on square bolt heads
with 4 of the 8 points - I've got a little set of 4 8-point sockets I got at
either Harbor Fright or Northern Tool which contains the size you need for the
differential and the size that fits the brake adjuster - I have Joe
Alexander's tool that Dave Massey referenced and I prefer it for the brake
adjuster, but if you have the 8 point socket for the diff plug and about a 2
foot extension, you can reach the diff plug with the right rear wheel off and
apply a lot of torque to get a stubborn plug out. Of course the J.A. Tool is
better for the gearbox fill plug - I'm glad I have both tools

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 2, 2013, at 8:24 AM, robert rudolphi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 08:34:40 -0700

On 1/2/13 8:10 AM, Jack Mc wrote:
> differential
You mean I didn't have to chase down a Snap-On truck to get a very 
expensive 8 point socket to fit my square head drain plug?

Oh well, I've always preferred snap-on tools whenever I could afford one 
and only needed one size.

TeriAnn
1961 TR3A
1960 Land Rover Dormobile
I don't need any other cars.  They would just dilute my driving experience.