Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 windshield mounting

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 04:45:21 -0500

I'm going to be doing this for my TR6 some time this year, and although 
I have no experience with it, I'm currently working on a Land Rover 
Discovery I bought cheap.

The Discovery is like a greenhouse with the amount of glass it has and 
every one of these windows uses just a rubber seal.

And around every seal it leaks and rusts. Use sealer.

Land Rover owners recommend this stuff, whic hcan be used with the 
rubber gasket in place:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_flowable-silicone-windshield-and-glass-sealer-permatex_7160107-p?searchTerm=windshield+sealer

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 1/9/2013 9:39 PM, Joseph Laurito wrote:
> I'm preparing the windshield prior to mounting and have a few questions for
> the group. The rubber seal that fits between the windshield frame and the
> scuttle is a fairly tight fit. Should it be glued to the frame and, if so,
> what adhesives are recommended. Is it a good idea to use some sort of
> caulking between the seal and the body of the car to insure water tightness?
> I see that the seal has a tendency to curl under the windshield frame. How
> do you keep it flat? My initial thoughts where to use a length of twine to
> pull it out while tightening the frame mounts, but that won't work if
> caulking is required.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joe
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:11:17 -0500

I've done this job more times than I care to remember. It's an easy job but
you really need two people. Use the silicone that George recommended or there
is also a black silicone version that I usually use. Put the Gasket on the
windshield first, put a small bead of silicone in the gap on the gasket, use
slight pressure on the glass from the helper and pull the rope/twine around
the gasket while pressed to the frame and you'll be amazed how quick it goes
in. Don't let your helper press too hard or you'll be looking for another
windshield. Same procedure for a Herald, Spitfire and Stag (done them all).
Unfortunately, the new gaskets really don't last too long and get age cracks
on the corners after 3-4 years, despite being garaged so buy a good quality
gasket not the cheapest one.
Larry Miceli

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2013, at 4:45 AM, George Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm going to be doing this for my TR6 some time this year, and although I
have no experience with it, I'm currently working on a Land Rover Discovery I
bought cheap.
>
> The Discovery is like a greenhouse with the amount of glass it has and every
one of these windows uses just a rubber seal.
> Land Rover owners recommend this stuff, whic hcan be used with the rubber
gasket in place:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_flowable-s
ilicone-windshield-and-glass-sealer-permatex_7160107-p?searchTerm=windshield+
sealer
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:05:33 -0500

Joe,

On both my 4 and 6 I did not use any silicone or other sealant. I have 
been in 2 really big downpours in my 4 and 1 in the 6 and there are no 
leaks whatsoever on either car in the windshield.

Now, I have read the other replies that recommend using something, but 
for the life of me, I cant see how any water could get in through the 
seal, either from the body up or the windshield down.

But as you can see by the previous replies, some owners have experienced 
leaks.

Same thing with the glass seal. How could water get in through that 
tight seal unless the rubber was old and cracking?

But I guess it couldnt hurt as long as the sealant did not affect the 
life of the rubber.

Bob

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:44:52 -0700

Joe -

I also used no sealant on the seal between the frame and body.  I have
driven in rain once in awhile over the past 10 years w/o any leak.

I can almost see the possible need for sealant on the windscreen seal as
not all glass seems to fit well -- but again, I used none there either w/o
a problem.

Geo