Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:18:35 -0600

Here what the Bentley's manual has:
RATIOS
		Gearbox Overall
Top w/OD	0.82		3.03
Fourth 	1.00 	3.70
Third 	1.325 	4.90
Second 	2.00 	7.40
First 	3.38 	12.50
Reverse 	4.28 	15.80 

I suspect that the 'Overall' number is dictated by the diff ratio, either
3.7 or 4.1 W/OD installed 

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

Anybody out there know what the gear ratios for a TR3 were?

Considering a T5 swap (over the Toyota) and want to insure that the
performance is close (or improved).

Also - anybody want to weigh in on a rack and pinion conversion?  The kits
seem a bit overpriced, and I'm pretty handy, so I'm curious as to what
others have done.

Just sold my big healey and want to make my TR3 into a more comfortable
touring car.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:12:00 -0800

Wowb&b&b&food for thought

MGbs and TR4bs have them and donbt fail to feel too sporty, My XK 150 on
the other hand is another animal altogether, but certainly better than the
contemporary American Iron.

Morgans use the same burman box that TRbs do and there is really no
comparison between the two.  Frankly, the Morgan feels more precise than the
TR on any but the roughest surfaces.

Healey uses a wormgear too, but there is no comparison between that and a TR
either, Healey goes (went) down the road with great feel and response.

The TR is like Mr. Toads Wild Ride.   Feels more like a MGTC than competition
for an MGA .  Would rather push the TR than drive an MG, but admittedly, the
steering is crude.

Jonas Payne

PBR Consulting

702-882-6711

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:37 PM
To: Jonas Payne
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: TR3 Rack and Pinion

List,

Anyone that contemplates the change to rack and pinion on his TR3 should find
one that's been converted and take it for a test drive first. Doing so proved
to me that I'd never want it in my car. It steers like a '57 Plymouth
Belvedere: no road feel at all. Just my opinion. Yours may vary.

Ed Woods

  _____

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:26:20 PM
Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:31:01 -0800 (PST)

Jonas
made my own T5 conversion and never regretted.
works great, best upgrade
i did
Frank

________________________________
From: Jonas Payne
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 22,
2013 5:26 PM
Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

Anybody out there know what the
gear ratios for a TR3 were?

Considering a T5 swap (over the Toyota) and want
to insure that the
performance is close (or improved).

Also - anybody want to
weigh in on a rack and pinion conversion?  The kits
seem a bit overpriced, and
I'm pretty handy, so I'm curious as to what
others have done.

Just sold my
big healey and want to make my TR3 into a more comfortable
touring car.

Jonas
Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 06:49:57 -0500

My brother installed the rack & pinion kit on a TR3A and the difference was
unimaginable. With the kit, you could actually steer the car, effort was
half of what it was and you could keep it straight on the road without
exercising your wrists all the time. Of course, the original steering gear
could have been well wiped out and a new sector, worm and bushings could
have solved the problems. The only issue that I noticed was that the new tie
rod ends seemed to be at an extreme downward angle to meet the steering
arms. Also, the regular fan has to be ditched for an electric fan in order
to free up sufficient room for the rack. I can't remember who sold the kit
but the end result was that the car was much more pleasant to drive. 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:26 PM

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:36:49 -0500

I seem to remember a conversation on this page a couple of years ago:  what
are the best things you can do to a TR3?  As I remember it, they were (a)
overdrive, and (b) rack and pinion.

I have both - one car with and one without.  I'd recommend the conversion.
I installed a bolt-on model which was easy to work with.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:37 PM
To: Jonas Payne
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3 Rack and Pinion

List,

B 

Anyone that contemplates the change to rack and pinion on his TR3 should
find one that's been converted and take it for a test drive first. Doing so
proved to me that I'd never want it in my car. It steers like a '57 Plymouth
Belvedere : no road feel at all. Just my opinion. Yours may vary.

B 

Ed Woods

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jonas Payne" < jagmog @ hotmail .com>
To: triumphs@ autox .team.net
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:26:20 PM
Subject: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

Also - anybody want to weigh in on a rack and pinion conversion? B The kits
seem a bit overpriced, and I'm pretty handy, so I'm curious as to what
others have done.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

** triumphs@ autox .team.net **

Archive: http:// www .team.net/archive
Unsubscribe /Manage: http:// autox
.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:28:44 -0600

My brother installed a R & P conversion to his TR3A as well, he did not use 
a kit, but a TR7 rack (which is apparently narrower than a TR4 rack and fits 
better) and some fabricated bolt on attachment brackets a club member made 
up.  I think the biggest issue is figuring out the steering wheel and turn 
signal arrange, since you don't have the stator tube and control head type 
arrengement easily mated to to rack, you have to have some u joints in the 
mix I believe. All statements qualified because I didn't do the work myself 
so specifics are a little fuzzy.

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:49 AM
To: "'Jonas Payne'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]