Subject: [TR] Best Year Spitfire?

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:12:31 -0800 (PST)

I drive TR's and am not very familiar with Spitfires. I have a friend at
work looking for a good restored Spitfire. Are any years better than others?
Did they rework the rear suspension at some point to get rid of wheel tuck &
hop? Any engines better than others? Does anyone have a good Spitfire on the
West coast that they would like to see go to a good home?
     TIA,

-Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:59:08 -0500 (EST)

Bill,
 
IMHO.....I prefer the last of the "roundtail" Spit's - the 1970 Mark  
3.....the front bumper was raised enough to be a little more effective yet the  
soft styling was still maintained.  The engine was still strong enough to  
have a lot of fun with (pre USA emissions stuff).....
 
Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA 
1962 TR4  CT2052L

In a message dated 1/14/2013 12:12:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I drive TR's and am not very familiar with Spitfires. I have a  friend at
work looking for a good restored Spitfire. Are any years better  than 
others?
Did they rework the rear suspension at some point to get rid  of wheel tuck 
&
hop? Any engines better than others? Does anyone have a  good Spitfire on 
the
West coast that they would like to see go to a good  home?
TIA,

-Bill in  Tehachapi

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:29:48 +0000 (GMT)

If I was looking for a Spitfire and having driven all variants down the years
as new and used cars, It's a one horse race in favour of the Mk 3 with the
1296cc small bearing engine, with no early emission control trash and an
overdrive. That ticks all the boxes!
The Mk IV with the 1300 engine wasn't
nearly as much fun and I found the 1500 to be a big disappointment except for
the fact that it held the road better. Let's face it, rear-end breakaway up to
the days of the 'swing spring' was always a prominent Spitfire feature and it
all adds up to the enjoyment of driving one. There's only one better
alternative in the rear end drama department and that's either a Mk 1 GT6 or a
Mk 1 2 litre Vitesse without the GT6 lower wishbone set up. Best laxatives
known to man on a wet road with bias ply tyres as many of them had ex factory!
Jonmac