Subject: Re: [TR] TR engine block

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:48:13 -0800

> Just pulled the head only to discover a broken stud midway on 
> pass side.
> Broke about 1" below top of block. Amy ideas on getting it out?

I'd probably start by center-punching and drilling with a left handed drill
bit.  With any luck, the bit will grab and back it out.  If not, you've got
a hole to try your favorite screw extractor.  If that fails, next step might
be to try to weld a hollow bolt to the end of the stud (although I'm not
sure how practical that is down that deep of a hole).

Last resort, I've got an article on how to build an EDM machine <g>

-- Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:45:00 -0800

> Or, given the latest study from The List, 50/50 solution of 
> acetone & ATF.

Not latest or from the list, just what someone else wrote up for a magazine
about 5 years ago.  And the acetone/ATF mixture (aka "weasel pee") will
separate in a matter of hours, making it useless for extended soaking.

The "scientific" study didn't even look at whether it made the difference
between getting something apart and destroying it; only how easy it was to
turn a bolt that would have turned anyway.  My interest runs more towards
turning something that would twist off otherwise.

-- Randall