Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Warning From Standard Triumph:)

From: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:59:59 -0500

Reminds me of the story of when Sir William Lyons visited the Jaguar dealer in
New York during a very bad winter storm. The sales rep asked why Jaguar
couldn't build a heater sufficient to keep the interior warm. Lyons reply was
why is it that Americans cant learn to dress appropriately for the weather!
Larry Miceli
58 TR3
73 Stag
74 TR6
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 28, 2013, at 9:46 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Suddenly (after 50 degree days last weekend), we bounced back into sub
> freezing winter with ice, snow, etc so I decided to pull out some old
workshop
> manuals and assorted other Triumph reading and came across this very
> appropriate  winter warning....
>
> "The heater blower is only to augment the airflow through the  car in
> difficult conditions.  Do not use it unnecessarily, especially at  speed
when it
> is not required.  Remember that in winter conditions with the  lights on and
> other accessories in use, the current load will be  considerable.  In cold
> weather.....if there is too great a load.....the  generator may fail to keep
> the battery fully charged"
>
> Wow.....you gotta love it!  Imagine Chevrolet or Ford advising their
> customers in 1962 not to run the heater fan, headlights and windshield
wipers at
> the same time in winter or risk a dead battery.....
>
> Despite the "warning", I did manage to keep my TR3's battery alive enough
> to keep going back in the 60's during commutes to college in winter with
> radio,  lights, and fan motor on at full voltage.....I guess I would have
been
> more  concerned if I paid attention to the AMP gauge but I then I was
> distracted  by the snow coming into the cockpit between the top of the
windscreen
> and the  top:)
>
> Chip Krout
> Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
> Skippack, PA
> 1962 TR4  CT2052L
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:12:58 -0700

>From the TRA Philosophy Statement:

*...We believe that the person inside an automobile who is cold in the
winter and hot in the summer--just like the weather outside--is a more
healthy person, who will no doubt live longer than those who drive along in
a controlled, unnatural environment.*
Geo

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...Wow.....you gotta love it!  Imagine Chevrolet or Ford advising their

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:18:28 -0700

On 1/28/13 7:46 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> difficult conditions.  Do not use it unnecessarily, especially at  speed when it
It wasn't just Triumphs.  It appears that the British car industry 
wanted to discourage driving under adverse conditions.

I actually had that happen to me when I was moving from Seattle to the 
Monterey bay area  in an old Land Rover. I was driving the coastal route 
during a major rain storm.  Two speed heater on high speed, wipers 
wiping, headlights on all day while driving. When I went to start the 
Land Rover the next morning there was not enough juice to turn over the 
engine.

Neither my Land Rover nor my TR3 has a generator any more so I can use 
more than two electrical circuits at a time.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Michael Marr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:38:52 -0600

Heaters were optional extras on many English cars in the 50s and even into
the 60s.  I had at least two Morris Minors that had no heaters and I am
pretty sure my 1960 Ford Popular didn't have one, either.  My 66 Imp had
one, and it was the height of luxury!

MIke

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 9:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Warning From Standard Triumph:)

On 1/28/13 7:46 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> difficult conditions.  Do not use it unnecessarily, especially at  
> speed when it is not required.  Remember that in winter conditions 
> with the  lights on and other accessories in use, the current load 
> will be  considerable.  In cold weather.....if there is too great a 
> load.....the  generator may fail to keep the battery fully charged"
>   
It wasn't just Triumphs.  It appears that the British car industry wanted to
discourage driving under adverse conditions.

I actually had that happen to me when I was moving from Seattle to the
Monterey bay area  in an old Land Rover. I was driving the coastal route
during a major rain storm.  Two speed heater on high speed, wipers wiping,
headlights on all day while driving. When I went to start the Land Rover the
next morning there was not enough juice to turn over the engine.

Neither my Land Rover nor my TR3 has a generator any more so I can use more
than two electrical circuits at a time.

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:39:51 -0600

I can't remember which car it was, but one of the British roadsters
from the 60's had an available "cold weather equipment" package.  One
of the items in that package was a blanket.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> freezing winter with ice, snow, etc so I decided to pull out some old workshop
> customers in 1962 not to run the heater fan, headlights and windshield wipers at
> radio,  lights, and fan motor on at full voltage.....I guess I would have been
> distracted  by the snow coming into the cockpit between the top of the windscreen
> and the  top:)
>
> Chip Krout
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================