Subject: Re: [TR] side curtain build

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 06:33:31 -0500

I used a big old Singer industrial sewing machine on the plastic and it 
just punched through. However, I did do some touchup on the ends by 
using a sewing awl and heating the needle so that it melted through the 
plastic.

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 1/18/2013 10:12 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> I'm rebuilding my tr-3 side curtains and things are going well.  However I'm
> having a problem fitting the forward solid window.  It's very thin plexiglass
> and the only information I've been able to find simply says the front plexi
> window is sewn in with the vinyl trim.
> Does a person drill small holes through
> the plexiglass to pull the thread through?  Is the thread then looped around
> the forward vertical frame to pull it tight?  The forward vertical frame piece
> is also very thin and I'm wondering how to glue vinyl to that as well as
> attach the plexiglass.
>
>
> Just wondering is anyone has re-built they're side
> screens themselves and how they handled this.
>
> thanks
>
> gary n.
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:22:43 -0800

My approach was bit different -  I used the router attachment on my Dremel
to cut a slot in the plastic, leaving sufficient material at the top and
bottom. I then used a sewing awl to sew through the side curtain material
together through and for the length of the slot. Worked for me.
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of George Richardson
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] side curtain build

I used a big old Singer industrial sewing machine on the plastic and it just
punched through. However, I did do some touchup on the ends by using a
sewing awl and heating the needle so that it melted through the plastic.

George Richardson

On 1/18/2013 10:12 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> I'm rebuilding my tr-3 side curtains and things are going well.  
> However I'm having a problem fitting the forward solid window.  It's 
> very thin plexiglass and the only information I've been able to find 
> simply says the front plexi window is sewn in with the vinyl trim.
> Does a person drill small holes through the plexiglass to pull the 
> thread through?  Is the thread then looped around the forward vertical 
> frame to pull it tight?  The forward vertical frame piece is also very 
> thin and I'm wondering how to glue vinyl to that as well as attach the 
> plexiglass.
>
>
> Just wondering is anyone has re-built they're side screens themselves 
> and how they handled this.
>
> thanks
>
> gary n.

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:31:23 -0600

Speaking of side curtains, here is an auction for some aftermarket side
screens on eBay.  I have a set of these that came with my car, but never
figured out just how to properly install them, or if they are worth
installing at all.  Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360489318490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.
m1423.l2649 

Thanks,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kinderlehrer
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] side curtain build

-----Original Message-----

George Richardson

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joseph Laurito" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:38:41 -0500

Yeah, I have a set of those on my car. They work great. The soft lower part
slides into a channel at the bottom of the aluminum frame. You need to put
lift-a-dot fasteners along to bottom of that lower part so you can snap them
to the outside of the door. 

Bought them in 1970 and used them ever since then. When I finished the
restoration last year, I mounted a set of "real" ones that I bought for a
king's ransom ..... didn't fit worth a darn, weren't even close (one was too
high and too far forward, the other was too low and too far back). I drug
these old ones out, cleaned them up, did a little adjusting and they work
like a charm. 

Although these work fine, I would like to get the "real" ones to fit for
esthetic purposes so if anyone can give me some hints on how to do the
adjusting without stripping them down to bare frames it would be greatly
appreciated. In the meantime I'll keep the softsiders in the trunk wherever
I go.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Wbeech
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:31 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] side curtain build

Thanks,
Bill

-----Original Message-----

George Richardson

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:24:07 -0500

Bill:  these are AMCO sidescreens - came out for a limited time and are
quite valuable (I see the set sold for $400 on eBay).

My car had the problem of the weight of "traditional" sidescreens causing
the door to sag so it was difficult to close from inside.  I found a pair of
AMCO sidescreens and refurbished them.  There is an individual on this
distribution who was going to do it for me, but after 5 years I ended up
doing it myself (no hard feelings).  They were easy to install and I love
them.

If you don't want yours, I'll buy 'em!

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,
Bill

-----Original Message-----

George Richardson

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]