Subject: [TR] Non-synchro gearbox

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:49:45 -0500

My previous TR3s both had all-synchro gearboxes.  The small-mouth,
obviously, does not.

I am putting a replacement tunnel in the car and am realizing I may have to
cut a hole for the dipstick, since  I don't see a level plug on the side, as
the previous gearboxes had.  Any alternative to an ugly big hole in the
tunnel?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:04:53 -0500

> the previous gearboxes had.  Any alternative to an ugly big hole in the

1) Cut a nice, clean hole rather than an ugly one <g>
2) Install a later gearbox (the 3 synchro boxes after TS50,000 had a plug on the side).
3) Add a plug in the side.

#1 would actually be my choice, as I really like having the dipstick.  In fact, the TR6 gearbox in my TR3 has a dipstick installed.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:23:30 -0500 (EST)

I agree; I like the dipstick. The hole is small (small enough for me ("big  
fingers") to struggle a bit to get the dipstick out..., not ugly or a 
problem,  covered by the tunnel carpet and dead easy to check before going out on 
a run.  No need to get under the car.
 
Tim TS22930LO

In a message dated 16/01/2013 5:07:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

1) Cut a nice, clean hole rather than an  ugly one <g>
2) Install a later gearbox (the 3 synchro boxes after  TS50,000 had a plug 
on the side).
3) Add a plug in the side.

#1  would actually be my choice, as I really like having the dipstick.  In  
fact, the TR6 gearbox in my TR3 has a dipstick  installed.

Randall

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 0:50:57 +0000

---- Bob Labuz <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> Also, the hole is smaller than the one used to access the grease zerk 
> behind the shifter.

Are you sure?  I haven't checked recently, but I thought they were the same size.  Both Moss & TRF list the same plug for both of them.

Randall

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 07:34:03 -0500

Randall,

I always thought it was, maybe because it was under the battery and I 
could not see it directly.

I guess this spring when I get the 3 out and check the oil etc. I will 
take a look.

ANyway, I am happy to have the dipstick and access.

Bob