Subject: [TR] another polarity ?

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:47:48 -0800 (PST)

I currently have a crane700 electronic ignition on my tr-3 with positive
ground and am thinking of reversing polarity on it but am not sure how to deal
with the coil wiring.  Any suggestions? 

Some
day...........month.......year.........also wanna go to alternator but that's
for another time.

thanks

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Lawrence Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:09:44 -0500

I do know with a Pertronix setup, one can buy it either positive ground or
negative ground. So first check out the Crane setup and see if there is a
switch to change the polarity before you attempt to change the polarity on the
car. Larry Schwartz

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
> Date: January 13, 2013, 6:47:48 PM EST
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [TR] another polarity ?
> Reply-To: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:20:01 -0800

> I currently have a crane700 electronic ignition on my tr-3 
> with positive ground and am thinking of reversing polarity on 
> it but am not sure how to deal with the coil wiring.  Any 
> suggestions? 

Depends on which version of the XR700 you have.  The early ones were
polarity-specific; to switch polarity you had to replace the box.  The later
ones with the LED on the side of the module could be wired either way.

Here are the instructions, if you are lucky enough to have the later version
http://goo.gl/K3C2h

Basically, the connections from the module to the coil and pickup remain the
same, but the box has to get positive on the red wire and negative on the
black wire.  That means you will be removing the present ground connection
from the red wire, grounding the black wire instead, and connecting the
original power from the ignition switch (white wire from the harness) to the
red wire.

-- Randall