Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 hood hinges

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:43:52 -0800 (PST)

and they strip out the threads really easy

From: Randall
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]; Angelo Graham
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:29 PM
Subject: Re:
[TR] TR2/3 hood hinges

---- Angelo Graham <[email-masked]> wrote: 
Does the hood part of the hinge orient "toe out" with respect to the 
> cowl
mount or is it the other way 'round? Make sense?

The entire hinge should fit
straight and parallel.

If you look at the sides of the hinge, the distance
from the mounting surface to the hinge pin is larger on one side.  That side
goes nearest the wing.

Leave the nuts just slightly more than finger tight
while you try them the first time, so you can move things around to fit.
After rather more broken hinges that I care to recall, I also prefer to remove
the studs and run a bottoming tap into the threads; then use Loctite when
inserting the studs.  Some of the new hinges aren't tapped all the way to the
bottom, which leaves the joint weak.  I've also gotten several sets where the
stud was too long and had to be trimmed to length.

Randall

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:00:05 -0500

Particularly the trunk/boot hinges:  one of the studs will interfere with
the trunk rubber if not cut back.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:30 PM
To: [email-masked]; Angelo Graham
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 hood hinges

---- Angelo Graham <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> cowl mount or is it the other way 'round? Make sense?

The entire hinge should fit straight and parallel.

If you look at the sides of the hinge, the distance from the mounting
surface to the hinge pin is larger on one side.  That side goes nearest the
wing.

Leave the nuts just slightly more than finger tight while you try them the
first time, so you can move things around to fit.

After rather more broken hinges that I care to recall, I also prefer to
remove the studs and run a bottoming tap into the threads; then use Loctite
when inserting the studs.  Some of the new hinges aren't tapped all the way
to the bottom, which leaves the joint weak.  I've also gotten several sets
where the stud was too long and had to be trimmed to length.

Randall

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]