Subject: [TR] TR3B timing chain slack

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:25:51 -0600

What is an acceptable amount of slack in the TR3B (TCF) timing chain?  With
all the slack on the tensioner side I can measure 25mm of play.  Is this OK?
Thanks,
Bill;

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:57:53 -0500 (EST)

The timing  chain on my early TR3A began rattling very noisily. When I  
replaced it, I went with the Renold brand. I can't say if it's better than the  
others, though reports suggested it was far superior. Although I have 
driven the  car over a summer since, I don't think that's really enough time to 
say whether  or not it's performance is superior to the others.
 
Tim

In a message dated 28/01/2013 7:48:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

mm+Millimeter, about 1 inch, so more than double your noted  amount.  Guess
I'll buy a new chain.

TRF lists three different  qualities of timing chains:

1. AE brand $19.95

2. Replica  $9.95

3. Renold $48.93

Or, Moss just lists one at  $9.95

Just for the weekend driver, does anyone have any expereince with  these? 

Thnaks,

Bill

_____   

From: Geo Hahn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January  28, 2013 6:21 PM
To: Wbeech
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  [TR] TR3B timing chain slack

Bill -

I know this is in the  manual somewhere -- but couldn't find it just now.

But my notes from  the last time I did this say "per manual, slack of < 0.4"
is  acceptable".

What's a mm?

Geo

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at  4:25 PM, Wbeech <[email-masked]> wrote:

What is an  acceptable amount of slack in the TR3B (TCF) timing chain?  With
all  the slack on the tensioner side I can measure 25mm of play.  Is this  
OK?
Thanks,
Bill;

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:57:04 -0500 (EST)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did renew all sprockets, tensioners,  
bolts, etc. when I renewed the timing chain.
 
Incidentally, I have never heard a timing chain get as loud as mine did in  
a very short period of time. Not even have I heard them that loud on  
Stags....
 
I've not heard of this being a common problem on TR's, but while you're in  
there anyway, best to renew the lot.
 
Tim

In a message dated 28/01/2013 8:50:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I've  heard chains and gears wear together.   With an inch of slack,  I'd
make sure the gear teeth have enough depth left to do their job.   The gears
on my tr2 were shallow and quite sharp. I bit the bullet and  replaced the
set.