Subject: [TR] thots on side curtains

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:47:13 -0800 (PST)

While working with my side curtains I've been impressed by how sloppy the worn
ones fit as well as how hard it is to get a good tight fit on re-built ones. 
It made me wonder about how many brand new tr-3's were daily drivers back then
throughout the whole year including winter especially in the midwest.
I can't
imagine a tr-3 even all buttoned up sitting outside during a midwest winter. 
Rain mostly comes straight down but blowing snow could sift through the
smallest opening and cover the whole inside; then melt.  Imagine 3 day white
out blizzards with 25-30 mile winds!
Anyone have these type of experiences? 
LOL  

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:20:03 -0800

> Anyone have these type of experiences? 

Yup.  Been there, done that.  I also worked second shift at the time.
You've never lived until you've tried to push-start a TR3, by yourself, in a
parking lot covered with ice!  That was when I decided that an alternator
was an absolute must-have.  (But I did get it started and drove it home.)

My boss at the time drove an Opel GT and bragged to me more than once that
anything my TR could do, his Opel could do better.  So one night when snow
was predicted, I invited him back to my place for a beer after work.  As
predicted, we had about 3" of fresh snow on the ground, and being after
midnite the snow plows had not been around yet.  Of course I deliberately
took the route that led up a steep hill and the TR walked right up it ... 
Don never did make it to my place and he never said another word about how
great his Opel was!

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:10:16 -0500 (EST)

While  working with my side curtains I've been impressed by how sloppy the  
worn
ones fit as well as how hard it is to get a good tight fit on re-built  
ones.

 
No matter if we are talking about drafty side curtains or leaking bodily  
fluids or cold natured starting or total lack of safety features just 
remember  that in the 50s these cars were state of the art and therein lies the  
charm!
 
During my wife's first ride in my freshly restored 54 TR2 we were  
inadvertently caught in a downpour and she started screaming "turn on the  wipers".  
Those of you familiar with the one speed versions know the value  of Rain-X 
over the wipers!  She was stunned when I handed her a towel to  wipe the 
inside of the windscreen!  We both emerged with wet lower  pant legs.  Now 
some 35,000 miles later (she has been along for about 30 of  those) we follow a 
road just to see where it ends.
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:29:51 -0500

Following a road to see where it goes is known as a "stooge".  We have used
the term in our family for years and with time have accepted certain
conditions:  a stooge does not allow maps nor GPS devices, it is best done
in a TR, and when someone drives past you and says, "she's a beauty", you
need to reply "I know, and we 've been married for 20 years!"

Guaranteed to secure another 20 !

Oh, and by the way, it appears the word "stooge" originated in WW2 with the
RAF, where a stooge was where a plane took off with no particular
destination in mind, other than to go looking for trouble.  In my father's
case, it was patrolling the English channel looking for German boats.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] thots on side curtains

While  working with my side curtains I've been impressed by how sloppy the
worn ones fit as well as how hard it is to get a good tight fit on re-built
ones.

 
No matter if we are talking about drafty side curtains or leaking bodily
fluids or cold natured starting or total lack of safety features just
remember  that in the 50s these cars were state of the art and therein lies
the charm!
 
During my wife's first ride in my freshly restored 54 TR2 we were
inadvertently caught in a downpour and she started screaming "turn on the
wipers".  
Those of you familiar with the one speed versions know the value  of Rain-X
over the wipers!  She was stunned when I handed her a towel to  wipe the
inside of the windscreen!  We both emerged with wet lower  pant legs.  Now
some 35,000 miles later (she has been along for about 30 of  those) we
follow a road just to see where it ends.
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana    

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]