Subject: [TR] TR4 Over Rider Support Tubes

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:19:35 -0500

I have a 1962 TR4 (CT6716LO). I bought the car in 1966. It has bumper over
rider support tubes. I just purchased another fully restored TR4 (originally
from California). It does not have the support tubes.

When I discussed this with the owners of the business where I purchased the
car, they advised me that none of the TR4s that have ever passed through their
hands have ever had the support tubes. Most of their cars have come from
California.

When I look at TR4 pictures on the various owner, club, and registry sites,
the photos often do not reveal the presence or absence of the support tubes
because either the over riders block the view or the colour/reflection in the
area of the over rider make it unclear. Of those pictures where it is clear,
the majority do not have the support tubes but many do.

Do any of you original owners have information on whether these were included
or if there was a cut off date for supplying them? Clearly they were intended
as there are holes through the grille for them and a welded nut on the over
rider for attachment but were they perhaps dropped to save a few dollars?
Maybe John has a "factory anecdote" about them. TIA for your input

Keith R. Stewart
London, Ontario
E-Mail: keithstewartATexeculinkDOTcom

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:39:14 -0500

Keith,

My matching numbers 63 came with the tubes when I picked it up over 8 
years ago. Maybe some owners removed them? Not sure why. Maybe accident 
damage?

You are correct about the welded nut. Why have the nut if it wasn't 
going to be used?
I am not sure about the 4A, since their over-riders are different. Maybe 
that is what the dealer was referring to?

I looked in the parts manual and the part numbers are:

611971 and 611970 Listed as Tube, front overider to front wheel arch.

Bob

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:45:44 -0700

Keith --

My late '64 TR4 is quite original and has the supports.  That car was
despatched to California then on to Hawaii.

Since they are black (not chrome as on the TR3) they may be hard to see in
some B&W photos.

I think it unlikely that any TR4s were produced intentionally omitting
these.

Geo

---

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:02:34 -0500

True, that anything other than minor front end damage would likely break or
crumple the support tube. I have them on CT6716LO, I have seen them in the
SPC, TRF and Moss both list them, and I have seen them in other pictures. So,
I do not have much doubt they exist. My main questions are to see if there are
original owners whose cars did not come with them or if there was a point at
which they were discontinued - or even if was an item that was sometimes left
off a new vehicle at the factory. Thanks for your feedback.

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road
London, Ontario
N5X 2K2
Home: (519) 660-1916
E-Mail: [email-masked]

On 2013-01-06, at 11:39 AM, Bob Labuz wrote:

> Keith,
>
> My matching numbers 63 came with the tubes when I picked it up over 8 years
ago. Maybe some owners removed them? Not sure why. Maybe accident damage?
>
> You are correct about the welded nut. Why have the nut if it wasn't going to
be used?

---

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:10:30 -0500

So that is two others, besides myself with the support tubes. If I understand
correctly, George says his are black (from the factory). What about Bob's?
Mine are body colour (signal red) and I do not remember having them painted -
but, it has been 46 1/2 years.
:-)
Maybe they were black and on the repaint many years ago perhaps they were
removed and repainted. If they were all black - which makes sense for a part
that is attached after the body was painted at the factory, what about the
supports from the bracket on the inner wheel arch to the top of the valance?
One might expect those to be black as well and mine are also body colour.

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road
London, Ontario
N5X 2K2
Home: (519) 660-1916

some B&W photos.
these.

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 10:19:30 -0700

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Keith Stewart
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> ... what about the supports from the bracket on the inner wheel arch to
> the top of the valance? One might expect those to be black as well and mine
> are also body colour...
>

Those are body color on mine (including the bolt heads).  The car has its
original paint.  Looks like those supports were bolted in place prior to
the body being painted, then the front bolt was undone to fit the tab on
the grille and rebolted.

Geo

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:35:54 -0500

Keith,

The ones that came with my 63 were painted silver. So I cleaned them up 
and repainted them silver. My 63 is SPA white.

Bob

---

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:22:59 -0700

I recently stripped the stay rods (wheel arch to valance) on my TR4A and 
found original body color.  In these case of these two, they were not 
painted well - I sanded several paint drips from off the bottom edge.  Its 
likely that they were painted on the car and with not much paint along the 
bottom except for the runs.

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Labuz
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:35 AM
To: Keith Stewart
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Over Rider Support Tubes

Keith,

Bob

On 01/06/2013 12:10 PM, Keith Stewart wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Keith Stewart 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 22:51:17 +0000 (GMT)

Cliff Hansen wrote:
Its likely that they were painted on the car and with not
much paint along the bottom except for the runs.

Hey, what do you expect
for two thousand odd dollars on a Triumph? Surely not a proper job?
 
Jonmac