Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:41:22 -0600

John, if you are doing a total restoration the cost of books shouldn't phase 
you too much, the Piggot originality guide is helpful, as is a Haynes Manual 
and a factory parts manual, if you don't want to buy a manual a Moss catalog 
is a decent substitute.  If you search around on Ebay and don't mind a 
little grubby you can get a Haynes pretty cheap, a Moss catalog is free 
(google moss motors if you haven't discovered them yet) the Piggot book 
comes in several versions that cover the 4A, they were pretty pricey for a 
while, but I thought they come out with a new version and had become more 
reasonable, E-bay and Amazon are good sources for these and other books.

Good Luck! Solid axle or IRS?

Greg Lemon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:43:15 -0800 (PST)

John
id suggest you forget the books and instead take class's at your local
community college.
they usually will let you bring parts in and work on them.
you will be the oldest guy in class and maybe even older than the teacher. but
that just makes for more fun.
Frank

________________________________
From:
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To:
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, January
9, 2013 6:20 PM
Subject: [TR] TR4A

Hi all list members,

My first post.  I am
about to begin a frame off restoration on a TR4A.  Am
looking for a
restoration guide to help me along.  I have found three doing an
internet
search.  They are a little pricey, so I would like to invest in the
best one. 
Any suggestions will be appreciated.  TIA.

John DeLuca

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Cronin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:56:32 -0500

I highly recommend "How to Restore Triumph TR4 & 4A " by Roger Williams with a
forward by Bill Piggott.  From the Enthusiast's Restoration Manuals by Veloce.
192 pages and a bit pricy, but certainly well worth the $$$  -  around $60.00
US but available used for less.  You will refer to this often during your
restoration and lots if its your first one....
Dan Cronin
[email-masked]

On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:20 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Hi all list members,
>
> My first post.  I am about to begin a frame off restoration on a TR4A.  Am
> looking for a restoration guide to help me along.  I have found three doing
an
> internet search.  They are a little pricey, so I would like to invest in
the
> best one.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  TIA.
>
> John DeLuca
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Eric Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:15:52 -0800

When I did my 4A, I found that I used the Haynes manual initially, but 
ended up going to the Triumph "Repair Operation Manual" published by BL 
Cars Limited for specifics.  It covers TR4 - TR6.  It has plenty of 
assembly diagrams and all the dimension, torque, assembly, and fluif 
specs you could want.  (It's my greasiest book).

-Eric

On 1/9/2013 6:20 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> looking for a restoration guide to help me along.  I have found three doing an
> internet search.  They are a little pricey, so I would like to invest in the
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:36:59 -0800

Eric,

The internet and the people on it are your best manual............

I've done a 3  Morgans - there is no manual (Refer to TR and Jag Manuals
respectively).  Thank god for the now defunct "emog"

I have 3 TR/Standard manuals (TR3, TR4, TR6) they were all I ever needed for
TR's.  (A couple TR3's, Morgans and a TR6).  They are quite good, and thanks
to autox.team.net.

I have the Austin manual for the AH3000 - its all I ever needed for 2 AH3000
Restorations.  Thank god for autox.team.net

I have the Haynes manual for MGB's, it is terrible ("Reverse of
Disassembly") - but MGB's are simple enough to start with. 

I have an official Jag shop manual for my XK-150 - beyond awful,
indescribably bad, words can do no justice for how useless it is, my son's
"Harry Potter spellbooks" are more useful............(part of the "momentary
failure to proceed" literary school).  Thank god for jaglovers.com.

Get yourself the TR4 shop manual (available at moss, and one of the
greasiest books in my shop) 

You'll find that  most helpful thing out there beyond the manual is access
to the internet and 100's of enthusiasts who have "been there, done that"
and are eager to help.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:53:05 -0600

John,

First, I admire your bravery and spirit.  A frame-off restoration of any
vintage car is a daunting task, and like marriage, is not to be entered into
lightly.

I completed a frame-off restoration of a 1965 TR4A from roughly 2004 - 2011.
The car is now a pleasure to drive, and it even won first place for Concours
Modified at the VTR South Central Region convention for 2012.

I did not lay a hand on the car for roughly one year; all I did was study.
I used the Roger Williams book as my primary guide, as well as priceless
advice from the folks on this list.
After a year of studying, I decided I could in fact be successful in taking on
the project.
So, I recommend you purchase the Williams book, get the electronic version of
the Bentley manual,  get the catalogs, and study the vehicle very thoroughly.
If you still decide to move forward with the project, and the commitment
(time, money and relationships) it entails, then turn a wrench.

You may think money is a precious commodity now, but my experience says that
time is far more precious.
The last thing you want is a half-finsihed project that you are begging
someone to take off your hands.
Like Jesus said, no one wants a half-finished tower they cannot complete.
Make sure you are counting the cost, and that you are committed to taking on
those costs.

While I was working on my TR4A, I managed to document a lot of my work at
http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph.
I maintained this site as a diary of sorts, to help others along the way.

I would be happy to follow your progress, and offer support and advice.
But, like I eluded to before, the folks on this mailing list were my biggest
helpers and cheerleaders.

an
the
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO

Online project diary at http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 22:32:32 -0600

John,
Where are you located?  There is bound to be other TR enthusiasts nearby, a
Triumph or British club.  

Not sure I can add to any of the advice already offered, I have the books,
the Bentley CD and membership on this list, the Moss catalog is very helpful
(the Moss UK catalog is better) and Dave at TRF is an extremely patient
fountain of knowledge on all things Triumph.  They got me through my first
frame-off just six years ago, on my second now.  But there is no replacement
for a fellow owner to stop in and commiserate from time to time, or help you
with a four-hand job, misery loves company as they say.

Keep us up to date on how your doing,
Bill

Bill Beecher  
www.bcbco.org
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of G.D. Huggins
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A

John,

I did not lay a hand on the car for roughly one year; all I did was study.
I used the Roger Williams book as my primary guide, as well as priceless
advice from the folks on this list.
After a year of studying, I decided I could in fact be successful in taking
on the project.
So, I recommend you purchase the Williams book, get the electronic version
of the Bentley manual,  get the catalogs, and study the vehicle very
thoroughly.
If you still decide to move forward with the project, and the commitment
(time, money and relationships) it entails, then turn a wrench.

On Jan 9, 2013, at 8:20 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Hi all list members,
>
> My first post.  I am about to begin a frame off restoration on a TR4A.  
> Am looking for a restoration guide to help me along.  I have found 
> three doing
an
the

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:42:22 -0500

John:  good luck.

My advice, crazy as it may sound, is go buy a TR4/4A parts car.  Much as I
love Moss motors and TRF, a restoration becomes very expensive of you go
there for all the parts you need.  I am on my fourth restoration and have an
old TR3 I turn to each time I find a part missing, broken or beyond repair.
And when I am finished, I'll probably get a good proportion of my money back
on the parts car when I sell it off.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR4A

Hi all list members,

My first post.  I am about to begin a frame off restoration on a TR4A.  Am
looking for a restoration guide to help me along.  I have found three doing
an internet search.  They are a little pricey, so I would like to invest in
the best one.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  TIA.

John DeLuca

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:52:13 -0700

Welcome, and congratulations on the project.

I'd get a copy of the factory parts catalog, if you can find one: 
http://trf.zeni.net/TR4-GB/223.php  part number 514837.  I'd also get Moss' 
catalog, which supplements the factory drawings with additional information 
and some additional pictures, but Moss uses a different part numbering 
scheme than did the factory, and many times it helps to know the factory 
numbers (e.g., to find out fastener sizes, for example.)

I hardly ever pull out the Haynes or the original workshop manual I have.  I 
probably would if I was working on the drivetrain, but I'm not.

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR4A

Hi all list members,

John DeLuca

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]