Subject: [TR] Winter driving

From: "Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:15:52 -0500

In its first years, my TR4 sat outside all the time, including some -20
degree winter nights. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at a really
cold start, I thought it might  be better if the engine could spin faster.
So I pulled two of the spark plugs, and it started on two cylinders. It was
pretty lumpy, but it ran. I gave it about 30 seconds, then put in the third
plug and ran it another 30 seconds. I put in the fourth plug and was good to
go, without grinding the battery flat. The last time I had to do that was in
1966.

On mounting hood badges, I discovered that the pins on my TR4 badge are the
about the same diameter as a 4-40 machine screw, so I ran a 4-40 die down
the pins and mounted the badge with two nuts and washers. Rigid, vibration
free and removable.

Pete Fullamm

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: davehogye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 04:35:09 +0000 (UTC)

That's terrific! That's a really clever solution to the problem. 
The reason you haven't had to try that again might be related to global warming, or perhaps you got yourself one of those fancy plug-in dip sticks. 
Hey, I've been wanting to communicate with this group for some time and Mark Bradakis just got me dialed in. 
Thanks Mark, 
Dave Hogye 
Santa Cruz 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:15:52 PM 
Subject: [TR] Winter driving 

Pete Fullamm

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:02:59 -0700

When my wife and I first started dating here in Colorado we used to  
take my first TR6 skiing. We'd unzip the back window put the 2 sets of  
skis in and down into the passenger footwell. Ski boots in the boot  
and we were off. It was a decent car in the snow surprisingly to me.  
We skied this way for a couple years. One advantage was you could wear  
all your ski gear going up the mountain and coming back since the  
heater was NOT going to make you too hot, especially coming back.  
Changing clothes was not needed.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jan 21, 2013, at 9:35 PM, davehogye wrote:

> The reason you haven't had to try that again might be related to  
> global warming, or perhaps you got yourself one of those fancy plug- 
> in dip sticks.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]