Subject: Re: [TR] Your own T5 Conversion

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:46:39 -0700

On 1/23/2013 5:50 PM, Randall wrote:
>> We're getting to the point where a 3D printer could produce the bell housing.
> We're already there.  I read an article just the other day about a printer that could easily handle a bellhousing in several kinds of metal:
> http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1392&doc_id=256731&dfpPParams=ind_183,industry_auto,bid_27,aid_256731&dfpLayout=blog
> "Potential materials include high-grade steel alloys, tool steels, aluminum or titanium alloys, nickel-based superalloys, and cobalt-chromium alloys."
>
> All it takes is money at the moment.  But I expect the prices to continue dropping dramatically as the printers gain acceptance.  Some home units are already below $1500 (though they don't handle metal or anything as big as a bellhousing).  And the 'toner' is still expensive too, from what I hear.
>
>

Would be a fun toy to have in the shop (although I suspect the purchase 
price would equal a fleet of Maybachs).  But, geez, using a laser "in 
the kilowatt range...?"  With a kilowatt CO2 laser, you could cut a 
bridge in half....

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:54:46 -0800

I invested in a 3 in one lathe/milling machine about 2 years ago - to date,
I have corrected 1 brake drum and modified an TR O.D. adapter plate.  I
haven't the slightest idea of how to really use the thing.  There is a
reason that there used to be schools, programs and unions to teach people
things.  Apprentice programs take years, and on the job training takes years
more.

A quality machine is a door stop - the knowledge, skill and time to use it
represent the real cost/value. 

I have looked at some plasma cutting tables recently - wonderful machines,
but unfortunately the user interface isn't dumbed down enough for me to be
comfortable with it.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

---

From: "ptegler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:16:10 -0500

Anyone playing in the CNC field, (personal or professional) knows the 3D 
printer world relatively well these days.
Even me..., just finished adding steppers to my own mill/lathe for full 
CNC....now just completed building a dedicated touch screen controller with 
custom keypad to drive it all (electronics design engineer by profession)

The 3D printers best suited to such a project (bell housing) are now being 
purchased by small companies to replace foundry work.
They deposit cintered metal where needed in the layer, and sand around where 
not. Then a high powered laser fuses the layer. The system repeats until the 
whole unit is built up. Cl;ear away the sand and you have a part in hand.

Right now the biggest industry concern,,, yes... people can print a hand 
gun! It's been done, and fired. Some guy on youtube even fires an AR-15 
where he made the main carrier on a 3D printer. Anything made from plastics, 
nylon, poly, etc can be made on a 3D printer. Now, even metals of all types.

metal examples  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88BPmL8cGAo
kind of plasma cutting in reverse...metal deposition 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLndYWw5_y8
Zcorp ..wild all in one pieces 
http://www.zcorp.com/documents/259_650Video.wvx

oh..car related...Even Jay Leno has his own 3D printer. He uses it to proto 
parts ...makes blanks for sand cast molds to make parts he needs not avail 
anywhere else.

nfi...just dreaming what can be done....sooner than you think.  :-)

Paul Tegler
[email-masked]
www.teglerizer.com

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Triumphs'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] Your own T5 Conversion

> We're already there.  I read an article just the other day about a printer 
> that could easily handle a bellhousing in several kinds of metal:
> "Potential materials include high-grade steel alloys, tool steels, 
> aluminum or titanium alloys, nickel-based superalloys, and cobalt-chromium 
> alloys."
>
> All it takes is money at the moment.  But I expect the prices to continue 
> dropping dramatically as the printers gain acceptance.  Some home units 
> are already below $1500 (though they don't handle metal or anything as big 
> as a bellhousing).  And the 'toner' is still expensive too, from what I 
> hear.
>
> Of course, I'm still not crazy about trying to convert a TR3 into a MR2; 
> I'd rather be making repair parts for A-types <g>
>
> --- Randall
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:22:35 -0800

All depends on where you live. If there is a Tech Shop near you, check it
out:
http://www.techshop.ws/ I have a friend that teaches at several of them and
he is encouraging me to join, which I probably will as soon as I start my
next major project.
Yes, they have 3D printers as well as machining tools and they are pretty
good at staying up with technology, or so I'm told. 
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:55 PM
To: 'Michael Porter'; 'Randall'
Cc: 'Triumphs'
Subject: Re: [TR] Your own T5 Conversion

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]