Subject: [TR] Tail weight

From: "Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:57:44 -0500

All, 

The story as I got it was that the shifter buzz/vibration problem was unique
to non-overdrive TR4s, and the dampeners were standard on those cars. The
weight of the OD cured the problem, and when I put in the OD gearbox, I
didn't transfer the dampener to it. I could be wrong, but I don't believe
this applied to TR3s, unless the 3Bs with the all-synchro boxes had the
problem.

The vibration was a major problem if you raced a non OD TR4 without the
dampener. I hung out with a TR4 group at one of the Glen Vintage weekends.
After every practice outing he came in with the top gearbox cover bolts so
loose it was throwing oil. He had a non OD box, but it took  a while before
we noticed that the dampener was missing. He had had an OD box in it for
years, and apparently forgot about the dampener when they put in the plain
one.

Cheers,

Pete Fullam

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive