Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 clutch taper pin? (Mark J Bradakis)

From: Alan Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:02:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark,

I don't think there is any significant difference in that clutch shaft
mechanism across the entire TR line up through the 6. Other things changed...
flywheel, clutch size and type, etc.... but not the basic layout of the shaft
and pin and release bearing yoke, other than the earlier shafts had grease
zerks in the ends.

Before you go to all the trouble of pulling the gearbox, be sure to eliminate
all other possible sources of play in the clutch release system. But I'm
afraid it's all too common... Depending upon the quality and fitment of the
taper pin, it can fail very quickly. There is a lot of torque on that pin. I
suspect the original parts were hardened and a lot of the replacements are
not.

There are several possible solutions...

1. Get one of the better grade, upgrade taper pins available.
2. Either the original type of pin or the upgrade, it's important to check the
fit and it might be a good idea to lap the pin in the shaft, so that it fits
better and best distributes the torque load on the pin.
3. Also, check that the pin doesn't bottom out and remain slightly loose.
4. Or, drill the yoke and shaft straight through and put a 1/4" Grade 8 bolt
through it instead of the pin. Use washers as needed and a locking nut and
safety wire to keep the bolt secure.

Unfortunately, any repair means removing the gearbox to get at the pin and
shaft. Even with the box out of the car, it might be difficult to get to the
remains of the pin to fully remove it. Sometimes it's necessary to drill a
hole opposite the pin to be able to drive out the broken bit to be able to
replace the pin, or to get the yoke off the shaft and the shaft out of the
gearbox,. (Note: I've make a habit of drilling a small hole opposite the pin
whenever new parts are installed, because there's a good chance it will be
needed sooner or later.)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
[email-masked]
'62 TR4 CT17602L
http://www.triumphowners.com/640

------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:23:26 -0700
From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR6 clutch taper pin?

Was just on the phone talking to someone about a clutch problem.  The
symptomstend to point to a broken taper pin in the cross shaft, hard to tell
without actuallyworking on the car.But the clutch has only about 4,000 miles
on it, and had a new cross shaft and taperpin installed at the time.  Have
others experienced premature failures here?mjb.
------------------------------

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:29:37 -0700

Or both 1 & 4:

http://members.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/cross%20bolt.JPG

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Alan Myers <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...There are several possible solutions...
>
> through it instead of the pin...