Subject: [TR] Internal Bonnet Release System for TR3/A/B?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:40:47 -0600

Has anyone ever retro-fitted a TR3A with an internally operated bonnet
release as the early TR2s and then TR4-6 had?   Of course, it would have to
be safe and secure.
Thx,
Bill
 
Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566 <http://www.triumphowners.com/1566> 
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:30:53 -0700

On my TR6 I used about 12-18 inches of an old bicycle brake cable.   
Run it through a small hold into the passenger footwell. Put the cut  
end through the same hold as the existing cable and the end with the  
round piece of metal on the end of the bike cable in the passenger  
footwell. Cheap, simple, not obtrusive, and can be opened easily by  
hand or a pair of pliers pulling the cable.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Dec 21, 2012, at 11:40 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:54:22 -0800

> release as the early TR2s and then TR4-6 had?   Of course, it 

And be accessible after the cable breaks.

I saw a TR3A years ago that had been modified so the entire hood, apron and
front fender area pivoted forward, ala Spitfire etc.  Seemed like a lot of
work, but sure would make changing the radiator a lot easier!

I think that was at TRfest in San Diego, around 2000 or 2001; but no idea of
the owner's name or how to contact him.

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:07:56 -0500 (EST)

I  remember the guy who had the whole front apron tilt out, I think it  was
feature in the Moss magazine, yes, that looked like a lot of  work.  Really,
I was just looking for a bonnet release system that  might be similar to 
what
was found on the TR2 & TR4.

Bill 

On my early TR2 having suffered through the agony of synchronizing the two  
forward releases plus the paranoia of a break in of the main cable, I must 
ask  why subject yourself through that agony?  The two Dzus fasteners on the 
 bonnet is the best and by far the simplest method.
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:41:20 -0500 (EST)

____________________________________
 From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 12/23/2012  4:08:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [TR] Internal Bonnet Release  System for TR3/A/B?

I  remember the guy who had the whole front apron tilt  out, I think it  was
feature in the Moss magazine, yes, that looked  like a lot of  work.  
Really,
I was just looking for a bonnet  release system that  might be similar to 
what
was found on the TR2  & TR4.

Bill 

forward releases plus the  paranoia of a break in of the main cable, I must 
ask  why subject  yourself through that agony?  The two Dzus fasteners on 
the 
bonnet is  the best and by far the simplest method.

Lou Metelko
Auburn,  Indiana

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:28:24 -0800

> Really, I was just looking for a bonnet 
> release system that  might be similar to what was found on 
> the TR2 & TR4.

That was kind of my point, the TR4 bonnet opens back to front, which allows
the use of a less reliable catch.  My Stag uses the same catch, and I can't
count how many times it has popped open while traveling down the road.  No
way would I want that on a bonnet that opens front to back, as the edge of
the bonnet will catch the air stream and very likely throw it into the
windscreen (and possibly my head).

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:12:55 -0800

> Don  I'd sure like to have one of those Dzus key fobs as I'm 
> constantly misplacing my T handle. Any idea on who made them 
> or where I could get one?

The screwdriver blade of a 'Tinker' model swiss army knife actually works
pretty good, as long as the buttons aren't too stiff.

I also keep a collection of T handles scattered around, one in each door
pocket plus one on the bench near where I park the car and another in the
tool box.

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:37:20 -0500

The original inspiration of the key fob Dzus tools I spoke ofearlier  was a guy
who had an inch and a half of 1/4-inch bar stock filed on one end to fit
the Dzus and drilled on the other end to fit on a keyring.  Not fancy, but
it worked.

A guy who's been around TRs for a while took it to another level some years
ago with a small run of cast aluminum keyfob tools in the shape of a
stylized TR3 where an extension to the rear wing/overrider became the
carriage key.  There was a version that opened like a penknife, too. They
were pretty cool little items, and there are probably a few unfinished
blanks left over.  The market really isn't there to invest in tooling or
support pricing that justifies the handwork.  So the few that may still be
kicking around are probably it for now.

As a practical solution, Karl, you might want to whittle one out of bar
stock or use the Swiss Army solution proposed by Randall.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]