Subject: [TR] OK - one more wiring question

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:42:54 -0500

The small mouth is wired and everything works.......except........

When I turn on the "indicators" (I did grow up in Ireland, after all), the
light in the dash cluster flashes once and no more.  The turn signals
continue to work normally front and rear.  When I check the wire in the
center of the three going to the flasher unit, it agrees with the light on
the dash:  one flash and no more each time I use the signals.

Any suggestion on this one?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:29:39 -0700

Are you using the usual incandescent bulbs with the brighter filament wired
for the indicator?

I ask as too little load can induce what you're seeing.

Geo

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Andrew Uprichard
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> light in the dash cluster flashes once and no more.

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:24:13 -0800

> When I turn on the "indicators" (I did grow up in Ireland, 
> after all), the light in the dash cluster flashes once and no 
> more.  The turn signals continue to work normally front and 
> rear.  When I check the wire in the center of the three going 
> to the flasher unit, it agrees with the light on the dash:  
> one flash and no more each time I use the signals.

Try a different flasher unit.  When I went through this some years ago, I
found that many of the units on the market would not work properly, even
though they were listed for the application.  The only unit I could find at
my local auto parts store that would work properly was a Tridon EL-13
"electronic" flasher (it's actually electro-mechanical, not electronic).

You can also try charging the battery and having the engine running when
doing the test.  Some of the "load sensitive" flashers don't work right when
the battery voltage is a bit low.  If doing that helps, you may find that
something is limiting the current in the turn signal circuit.

-- Randall