Subject: Re: [TR] TR transmission tail weight

From: Carl Sereda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 02:50:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hardy!
Any idea of difference between the two transmission damper weights, or why
they have different part numbers? I was planning on NOT transferring the
weight off my standard TR4 tranny to the rebuilt TR4A OD tranny - the OD
section seems to be 25lb over the standard transmission tailpiece... and
adding more weight to that, seems overkill doesn't it?

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

This item was fitted to the TR4A and is on page 27 of the TR4A parts
catalogue, second edition:
"WEIGHT AND BUSH ASSEMBLY, VIBRATION DAMPER" PN 144314 std, 132951 OD
It should be tight on the tail shaft, but most of these were removed during
 service to make gearbox removal easier and to remove the "extra" weight.

TR Regards,

Hardy

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 11:37:43 -0800

All I can tell you is that years ago I pulled a tranny from an 
unmolested 1963 TR4 with OD and it had the weight.  Judging by the 
reports of the finances at Standard Triumph from that time I don't think 
that they put it there for no reason what so ever.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 18:00:17 -0500

my 63 had one as well