Subject: Re: [TR] T3/4, fan,extension

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:02:22 -0600 s=q20121106; t=1355259744; bh=MSoERUWsrEwWZ2vhypE4bAQtinoZSm9N70gRTqeEl24=; h=Received:Received:To:From:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=KEF2FR489ZOXniy9kFgzUWo88vHn20EZYYBJKBm+6vqluZK7SQ8xDGcsAXCcP1VwS WUuZWV+bAjEGejnRrdEi1hiOk6n7Fo26Z6QNl3rq200Y5MS8fIC5metfNS9uwVjq8Y LJLiEnEEbUdslZm38eviq9SKfsLM6IRA6nqUprCkvaddmNzhw6Zt6W57asp1EJTSgN cKfK9v198QeWAsqWS84GPxON5KkZZhEUG0sWRUUuOE3IuWooly6ckNdf074LHMYsNk WgQbTv7oTLlQZZNU47KSr1J8162BQdzIM31xwBaGpOAUWEIFGqMbBOaTgaRWGjI2AO QCKFGMppZG/zg==

Well, if you always show up with a harmonica, you'll be the life of the party even BEFORE you start chugging tequila and singing off key!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "David B. Hammond" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] T3/4, fan,extension
Date: Tue, Dec 11, 2012 14:54

I have removed the mechanical fan and extension. I have heard of the need to
install a harmonic balancer, but I don't know why? Any discussion about
that?
David
TR3B

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:34:34 -0800

> If you keep the engine revs below the 5000 RPM redline there 
> is no reason th install a harmonic dampener.

Just to second what TeriAnn said, I have run for many years and likely over
200,000 miles (although not all on the same engine) with no mechanical fan
and no extension, and never broken a crank.  

But these were nearly stock street motors, and rarely saw 5000 rpm even
during the occasional autocross.  I do believe the problem is real though,
so when I build a motor that will still pull strong out past 5000, it will
have a dampener.  Since it will still be mostly a street motor, I view the
dampener more as cheap insurance than an absolute requirement.

One thing I will warn about, though, make sure that whatever you use instead
of the extension pulls up only against the pulley hub and not against the
end of the crankshaft.  My first conversion worked fine with just a big flat
washer, but on the second one, the washer hit the end of the crank and only
applied a little force to the hub.  Over time, the hub worked back and forth
against the key, wearing the hub and crank and eventually tearing up the
key.

-- Randall