Subject: [TR] chrome wire wheels

From: "davewillner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:48:44 -0500

I may be inheriting a set of 4 chrome wire wheels that have some "light"
surface rust. I have powder coated wires on my TR and the MG that are holding
up very well. Is there a procedure or process for renewing chrome wheels for
the long term other than rechroming that might improve the look? Steel wool,
polish, clear coat, etc? Appreciate it

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg PA
59 TR3A
70 MGB
70 BSA 441 VS

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 22:42:23 +0000 (UTC)

Are you saying that the wire spokes themselves are chromed mild steel?  And that there is surface rust on the wire spokes?

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

----- Original Message -----
> From: "davewillner" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Triumph List" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:48:44 PM
> Subject: [TR] chrome wire wheels

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:51:38 -0800

> Is there a procedure or 
> process for renewing chrome wheels for the long term other 
> than rechroming that might improve the look? Steel wool, 

Fred Thomas suggested a PPG product known as DX579 Metal prep.  Dilute with
about 4 parts clean water and apply with a sprayer, then scrub the rust away
with brass (or bronze) wool.  I was surprised at how well it works.

Before:
http://goo.gl/m8GM7

After 10-15 seconds of work:
http://goo.gl/vQ8VY

(Sorry, I didn't take a final photo.  Decided to use another cover instead.)

DX579 contains phosphoric acid (similar to naval jelly) which should help
reduce future rust.  However it certainly wouldn't hurt give it a good coat
of wax as well.

The DX579 was a little hard to find but I eventually found a local
automotive paint store that had it.  The fine bronze wool came from MMC.
According to Fred, the diluted DX579 won't harm paint as long as you keep it
wet until you can flush it away.  But don't let it dry on the paint.
Probably best to wear gloves and eye protection (but I didn't).

-- Randall