Subject: Re: [TR] stressful things in triumph

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:15:41 -0600

The stressful or at least frustrating thing for me in fitting the body 
panels to my TR250 was having a panel that fit fine, then adding the rubber 
seal and having the panel not settle "home" by a good margin.  Real trouble 
with the trunk lid seal, even tried a 2nd seal from a company who advertised 
theirs didn't have that problem, it still did, and the scuttle seal, tried a 
couple of those and the thing won't go anywhere near flat with either one.

Greg Lemon

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:35:40 +0000 (GMT)

The thing for me is the realisation that many of my former friends in
Engineering were little more than sadists. They completely overlooked the fact
that many among us down the years have been youthful in heart, though much
longer in the tooth. Waking each day as I do with aching joints and perhaps a
little too much 'circumferentially' - I especially curse all TR Spitfire, GT6,
and certainly curse Little and large Healeys, Morris Garages variants and
those things from Jaguar that look like a flying bedpan.
It's not that I'm
jealous but simply because whenever I have the opportunity to ride in or drive
a sports car, it's raining and the hood is erected. It's bad enough getting in
- but getting out is hell on earth.
 
Jonmac

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:01:38 -0700

On 11/28/12 9:04 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> Reading others experiences with body panels reminds me of problems I had with
> fenders.  Two of the same fenders I took off my tr-3 wereneeding serious
> changes in order to get them to fit back on the car later.  One rear fender
> needed to be lengthened an inch and a front fender needed a wedge shape cut
> out to make it fit tight against he body.
>
> Amazing.............they must
> have changed shape while stored for a few months.LOL
>
Did you have the body off the frame?

When I rebuilt my 3 I took all the removable panels off the body but 
left the body on the frame. Both floor boards and sills were replaced, 
one at a time, with the body on the frame, and the rear valance was 
replaced with a new one.  All the body panels just bolted back on in place.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:19:38 -0500

Aarrghhhh - how true !  Trunk lid now sits proud and I couldn't get the
spare tire cover back on after fitting the new
seal...............................

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg Lemon
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] stressful things in triumph

Greg Lemon

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:30:33 -0700

> - but getting out is hell on earth.
Sadists?  I always thought the problem was that the folks who designed 
many of the cars were height challenged and designed cars that fit their 
short stature and short legs.  The cars would have been different if 
Donald Healey and Colin Chapman were around 6 foot 2 or 4 and the 
average Brit male was at least 6 foot tall or taller.

First time I sat in a BJ8 I was heartbroken to discover that my knee hit 
the bottom of the instrument panel before my foot got high enough to 
clear the clutch pedal unless I angled my leg sideways.  I had thought a 
big Healey would be a grand third car until then. The only time I tried 
a GT6 I found my knees on either side of the steering wheel.  I figure 
if I ever got one I would have to remove the front seat and sit on a 
cushion or something instead.  They were not meant for people with long 
legs.

I have just assumed that the fun of driving a British Roadster would be 
a proper inducement to keep the personal circumference small enough for 
easy entrance and exit.  Though I have to admit getting out of a 3 with 
the hard top on is a tad less than graceful when you are on the tall 
side as I tend to back out of the car.

"A Jag looks like a flying bed pan"  That image would have never 
occurred to me.

TeriAnn

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:03:33 -0500

The prototypical post war British sports car must have been designed for
former RAF fighter pilots - smallish, wiry, rugged survivors accustomed to
being in cramped uncomfortable places and just glad to be alive and on the
ground.

For decades I thought I wanted an E-type. A recent drive in a 1970 E-type
convertible has cured me forever. My eyes, which already dry out easier than
they used to, are just about even with the top of the windscreen, and my size
11d foot can't hit the go pedal without also brushing the stop pedal. I still
think it has a beautiful shape, but the bedpan analogy fits when ingress and
egress is attempted.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 29, 2012, at 4:35 AM, John Macartney <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]