Subject: [TR] Replacing clutch master in a TR4

From: Cosmo Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:50:53 -0800 (PST)

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 9:15:16 -0500
From: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Replacing clutch master in a TR4
text/plain; charset=utf-8

I need to replace the clutch MC in my TR4. I seem
to recall doing this job long ago without taking out the pedal box as the shop
manual suggests is required.

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to replace
the MC without removing the brake MC and pedal assembly?

Thanks.

Dean
1965
TR4
-------------------------   
Hi Dean!
Well I did this this past summer for
a friend. you'll need a 1/2" socket (I think that's the size), a Short
Extension, & a Ratchet. Work on the bottom bolt first in removing the MC &
revers it when installing it. Now if you are really patient, you can remove
the circle clip & NOT remove the fork & rod hardware.
 
No IF you feel you
have to remove BOTH, then E-mail me & I'll tell you how to remove the Brake MC
so you Do NOT have to bleed the brake system. 
 
I'm planning on having this
thread (Removing Brake MC without having to bleed the system) in my 2nd
edition of my manual (Cosmo's TR4/A E-mail Repair Manual). I just have to get
around to install pictures for easier comprehension.
-Cosmo Kramer

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 13:11:29 +0000

Cosmo --

I did the deed last weekend with no particular drama using a 1/2" socket and
the shortest 1/4" drive ratchet and extension I own.  The greatest challenge
was getting the bottom bolt started for reassembly.  Chasing the threads with
a tap helped.  The suggestion to leave the mounting bolts loose before
attaching the hydraulic line was also very helpful. Since I was replacing the
MC I didn't need to worry about disassembly of the unit itself.

Amazingly, my pressure bleeder cap fit the new MC perfectly and bleeding the
system was a snap.

Thanks again to this community for the technical support.

Dean
1965 TR4
1974 2000 GTV
1976 Giulia Nuova Super 2L

I need to replace the clutch MC in my TR4. I seem to recall doing this job
long ago without taking out the pedal box as the shop manual suggests is
required.

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to replace the MC without removing the
brake MC and pedal assembly?

Thanks.

Dean
1965 TR4
-------------------------B B 
Hi Dean!
Well I did this this past summer for a friend. you'll need a 1/2" socket (I
think that's the size), a Short Extension, & a Ratchet. Work on the bottom
bolt first in removing the MC & revers it when installing it. Now if you are
really patient, you can remove the circle clip & NOT remove the fork & rod
hardware.
B 
No IF you feel you have to remove BOTH, then E-mail me & I'll tell you how to
remove the Brake MC so you Do NOT have to bleed the brake system.
B 
I'm planning on having this thread (Removing Brake MC without having to bleed
the system) in my 2nd edition of my manual (Cosmo's TR4/A E-mail Repair
Manual). I just have to get around to install pictures for easier
comprehension.
-Cosmo Kramer