Subject: [TR] electronic ignition vs CEI, HEI vs CDI - a little technical

From: Cosmo Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:14:23 -0800 (PST)

Happy Holidays List!
I think it was Tony that started this thread & asked for
input.
 
I had the Pertronix system in my TR4A for a yr. & carried the
COMPLETE original points distributor in the boot. After a yr. I had a hard
time trying to do a tune up & was glad I had the point set up in the boot. All
I did was to move the Engine to the TDC mark, unthread the 2 nuts holding the
Pertronix clap & distributor unit, install my points distributor set with the
clamp, & drove off. Never got around to check timing until the next years tune
up. I just used the vernier adj of 1 or 2 clicks to get it back dead on. I
still haven't had the desire or time to check out the Pertronix unit to see
what the problem is/was, & I think I'm going on 3 years. It takes me awhile to
get around to doing things. :>)
-Cosmo Kramer

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:32:51 -0600

" I was able to limp home (actually it ran fine) by fabricating a 
replacement button from a paper
 clip.  On the new cap, I removed the original resistor button and replaced 
it with a chunk of relatively pure carbon (carved from the center post of a 
flashlight battery), which was still working fine many years later when I 
decided to try a Crane XR3000 (optical triggered CDI).

 -- Randall"

OK, you live in California, right? did they use you for the inspiration for 
the old show McGyver?

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:58:43 -0800

> OK, you live in California, right? did they use you for the 
> inspiration for the old show McGyver?

Beats me.  It just seemed like the thing to do at the time.  No cell phone,
no AAA card, and I still don't like tow trucks.  And I had learned to cut
brushes out of battery posts way back in the 5th grade (when I used them for
slot car motors).  They didn't last as long as the commercial brushes, but
the price was right.  Necessity is a mother, or something like that.

Unfortunately alkaline cells don't use carbon posts, and the carbon-zinc
battery seems to be a thing of the past.

-- Randall