Subject: Re: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:42:24 -0600

I just accepted the fact that I was going to scratch the paint, and that
stress went away.
For me, adding those damned window seals to the doors, with those eff'ing
clips, gave me the most stress.

On Nov 26, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:

> I just had a car painted and am putting the fenders and panels back on.  I
> think this is probably the most stressful thing I have done, for various
> reasons:
> -  Worried about scratching the new paint
> -  Worried that the panels won't fit
> -  Worried that the captured nuts will fail  this one time
>
> Driving a restored car for the first time comes close, but I think this
> takes the prize.  What thinks the list ?
>
> Andrew Uprichard
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:49:28 -0700

Trying to attach the battery ground cable to the proper bolt on a TR6  
transmission housing while it was in the car was by far the hardest  
thing I've ever done. Facing defeat for something I thought I'd do in  
10 minutes but took me hours and the use of every socket extension and  
trick in the book, was stressful in many ways. My back still isn't the  
same.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Nov 26, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Andrew Uprichard wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:52:06 -0700

I bought an eBay TR4 sight unseen that was on an island in the Pacific
Ocean.

Somewhat stressful though all I had to do was wait & see -- but no match
for your assembly of newly painted sheet metal.  That truly sounds like
nervous work.

Geo

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:55:15 -0800 (PST)

oh yes

From: Andrew Uprichard <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:13 PM
Subject: [TR]
what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

I just had a car painted
and am putting the fenders and panels back on.  I
think this is probably the
most stressful thing I have done, for various
reasons:
-  Worried about
scratching the new paint
-  Worried that the panels won't fit
-  Worried that
the captured nuts will fail  this one time

Driving a restored car for the
first time comes close, but I think this
takes the prize.  What thinks the
list ?

Andrew Uprichard

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:59:38 -0800 (PST)

Andrew-
 
Next time you can cut your anxiety by fitting the panels first and
also running the captive nut threads with a tap.  Then all you'll have to
worry about is scratching the paint.
 
Chad in Tulsa
________________________________
 From: Andrew Uprichard
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, November
26, 2012 5:13 PM
Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a
Triumph?
  
I just had a car painted and am putting the fenders and panels
back on.  I
think this is probably the most stressful thing I have done, for
various
reasons:
-  Worried about scratching the new paint
-  Worried that the
panels won't fit
-  Worried that the captured nuts will fail  this one time
Driving a restored car for the first time comes close, but I think this
takes
the prize.  What thinks the list ?

Andrew Uprichard

**
[email-masked] **

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:02:41 -0800

Most stressful - Every sound the freshly restored car makes in its first 500
to 700 miles.

Run a tap through the captive nuts while its still apart and chase the
threads on your hardware if in any doubt.

Use painters tape and clean bedsheets on panels to pad them as you get them
on to prevent scratches, or worse yet - dropping a wrench, screwdriver or
bolt onto them :(

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

Andrew Uprichard

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:32:50 -0600

Add to that getting the SS beading in place with out scratching the wing
paint.  HINT: Run a 2" wide strip of painter's tape along either edge before
you start and have a steady-handed friend to help.

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:13 PM

Andrew Uprichard

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:24:45 -0600

First start of the motor you (or somebody else for that matter) is always 
stressful.

My most stressful moment in the TR250 restoration was painting the stripe on 
the hood.  Lots of fiddly work getting the tape right, fear of if you mess 
something up can you fix it or will you have to re-paint the hood.

Most frustrating was fitting those stupid little pegs in the door handle and 
window winder, spent the best part of a hot Saturday in the garage fitting 
them, tried a needle nose vise grips, regular needle nose, tweezers, some 
sort of surgical tool like locking tweezers, very frustrating.

Greg Lemon

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:05:36 -0600

oops, neant to say the motor you  "rebuilt" below, most of you probably 
figured that out

> My most stressful moment in the TR250 restoration was painting the stripe 
> on the hood.  Lots of fiddly work getting the tape right, fear of if you 
> mess something up can you fix it or will you have to re-paint the hood.
>
> Most frustrating was fitting those stupid little pegs in the door handle 
> and window winder, spent the best part of a hot Saturday in the garage 
> fitting them, tried a needle nose vise grips, regular needle nose, 
> tweezers, some sort of surgical tool like locking tweezers, very 
> frustrating.
>
> Greg Lemon
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:08:50 -0500

Oh - I did.  Fitted the panels so many times I was sick of it.  But they
still "move"...

And I tapped or replaced every captive nut.  Then one of the three on the
lower door hinge gave out.  Murphy's law. But at least there the repair will
not be visible.

And I agree with all the replies, too !

Andrew

From: Chad [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:00 PM
To: Andrew Uprichard; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

Andrew-

Next time you can cut your anxiety by fitting the panels first and also
running the captive nut threads with a tap.  Then all you'll have to worry
about is scratching the paint.

Chad in Tulsa

Andrew Uprichard

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:15:47 -0500

Yup, I'll second that one.  :)

Marty
----------------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:36:00 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Crashing it? :^)
> Mark Hooper

---

From: "davewillner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:35:46 -0500

1. Fender beading
2. Grill
3. Stone guards
4. Rebuilding the control head assembly
5. Sorting out the electrical gremlins after installing a new harness

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg PA
59 TR3A
70 MGB
70 BSA 441 VS

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:13 PM
Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:07:12 -0700

Never having taken a car down to its individual parts and then 
reassembled it before, *THE* most stressful thing I did with my TR3 was 
drive it for the first time after reassembly.  As the time for the 
initial drive approached I stressed out more and more thinking of all 
the things that could go wrong such as the rear axle assembly to fall 
off, the steering wheel to come off in my hands or somehow for the front 
wheels to turn independently, or the front suspension to fall apart or a 
wheel fall off or any number of things just to fall off, break or any 
number of catastrophic failures.  I have a very active vivid imagination.

The first drive came and about 3 blocks from the driveway a front 
headlight rim fell off and promptly flattened under a tyre. That was the 
only part that fell off.

But I did experience intermittent fuel flow problems which exercised my 
AAA towing card a few times until I traced it down to an intermittent 
fuel flow interruption at the fuel tank. I pulled the fuel tank after 
draining it, removed the sender unit and looked down into a tank with 
dirt, oak leaves, dead pill bugs and ear wigs.

When I rebuilt my TR I did not have a garage so I put up a steel pipe 
frame and a tarp for a shelter and rebuilt the car on the dirt under a 
big oak tree.  When the fuel tank was taken off there was deep rust 
under where the felt like padding sat against the tank.  I sent the tank 
out to be boiled out and to have patches welded on. Afterwords it sat 
for a while on a pallet along the edge of the covered tarp area while I 
worked on the body. Once the tank was cleaned out and reinstalled the 
fuel system worked properly.

About 3 months into driving the car locally to try and build up some 
confidence in the results of my work there was an unhealthy noise 
starting to make itself noticeable at the front left corner.  I pulled 
over and looked for anything out of the ordinary.  I touched the 
knockoff and noticed it was hot.  Another flatbed tow later the TR was 
back home had I pulled the front wheel  and started disassembling 
things.  A new front bearing had failed. It seems I had set the front 
bearings up as to the instruction in the main part of the workshop 
manual which was for front drum brake TRs and had not noticed that there 
was a supplement in the back for disc brake TRs.  I redid both sides to 
the supplement specs and was off again.

And those were the sum of my TR's teething problems at the end of my 
very first and hopefully very last total car rebuild.  Though it still 
took about a half year before I would trust my work enough to throw the 
TR through tight mountain corners on the side of steep hills or drive 
outside my 100 mile free towing range.

TeriAnn