Subject: [TR] TR3 painted wing beading question

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:56:00 -0600

Thinking on this current project that I am going to paint the beading
between the wings and the tub, saw a TR2 at VTR and it looked good.  ISTR
that TR2's & early 3's used a black rubber bead in this place.  
 
Has anyone used any alternate materials in this application?  I am thinking
there might be something that would have a more of a flat profile than the
rounded beading that is usually seen.
 
Many thanks,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566 <http://www.triumphowners.com/1566> 
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:33:45 -0500

> that TR2's & early 3's used a black rubber bead in this place.  

It was only TR2, and the bead was normally colored to match the trim.  My SPC lists black, Olive Yellow, Green, Red, Geranium and White.

> rounded beading that is usually seen.

The original TR2 bead did have a head that was rather wider and flatter than the later chrome beads.  There is a photo of the profile at
http://goo.gl/7Y8b2
(courtesy of Nick Morgan).  According to a long-ago list post by TR Householder, Moss sells (or at least sold) a fender welting for MGA that is a good match (after you paint it).

Randall

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:33:55 -0500

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:09:47 -0500 (EST)

It was only TR2, and the bead was normally colored to match the  trim.  My 
SPC lists black, Olive Yellow, Green, Red, Geranium and  White.

The beading on all TR2s were painted body colors and the colors listed  
above were the body colors available.
 
All of the 2s that I am familiar with had the beading sourced from an  
English company named "Woolies" with an Internet address of 
_www.woolies-trim.co.uk_ (http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk)      In late 2000 I ordered 7 meters of 
part number 274-WH from Woolies.  The  shipping was more than the beading 
but the total cost for the seven meters was  about $20 (in year 2000).  As I 
remember the only colors was white and  black and I was told that if the 
body is to be a light color then order white  and if dark order black.  The 
beading on my TR2 was painted off the  car and now some 12 years and 32,000 
miles later not a hint of any peeling or  dings.
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

---

From: WBEECH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:56:31 -0600

Is this the same trim that Moss sells?  They list it as gray.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Nov 29, 2012, at 8:09 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

_www.woolies-trim.co.uk_ (http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk)      In late 2000 I
ordered 7 meters of

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:09:55 -0800

> The beading on all TR2s were painted body colors

Sorry, I meant to say body color.  Thanks for pointing out the brain fart,
Lou.

-- Randall