Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Steering Wheel ALighnment

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:52:43 -0600

Sent from mobile Bill

On Nov 25, 2012, at 9:44 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

I am going to be doing some adjustments on my 59 TR3A over the winter. One
task on the list is the alignment of my steering wheel. When I am driving
straight, my steering wheel is off center to the left by a good 20 degrees. I
have a split shaft column.  Is this corrected as simply as undoing the clamp
on the split column and rotating the upper column in tack to align the wheel
and then reclamping the split, or is there more to the process?  Do I need to
disengage the stator tube first? Thanks.

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3A

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:59:42 -0600

When they align the front end they straighten to wheel.   I tried moving the
wheel over on the splines, but it never worked out.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Nov 25, 2012, at 10:52 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Sent from mobile Bill

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3A

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:19:51 -0700

How you fix it is going to depend where you are 'off'.  You want the car
aligned and the tie-rods pretty much centered to get the correct steering
geometry.  Once that is in order (and perhaps it already is) then the wheel
itself can be correctly positioned.

I have always positioned the steering wheel by removing it from the top end
of the column and reinserting it in the desired position.  If there is no
one position that is perfect then I get it as close as possible and then
tweak the tie-rods for the final bit.

Fussy work -- probably only worth it if a crooked wheel bugs you (it bugs
me).

Geo

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> straight, my steering wheel is off center to the left by a good 20 degrees.
> I have a split shaft column.  Is this corrected as simply as undoing the
> clamp on the split column and rotating the upper column in tack to align
> the wheel and then reclamping the split, or is there more to the process?
>  Do I need to disengage the stator tube first? Thanks.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Mechanicsburg, PA
> '70 TR6
> '59 TR3A
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]