Subject: Re: [TR] Blue Upholstery kits for 1975 TR6

From: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 05:23:08 -0500

Dave
Ive bought a few seat kits over the years. I currently have a French Blue 74
TR6 which I restored about 9 years ago. My car had no interior when I bought
the project so I went through the same drill of choosing interior color and
style. I choose the TRF seat kits in black vinyl due to the faithful
reproduction to original patterns. After many trips and miles they still look
new. I had put shadow blue seat kits into a prior sapphire blue 74 TR6  and
red kits into a 71 white TR6 and they looked great as well. (TRF as well). The
only problem I had was the shadow blue carpet faded very quickly. I also used
the black leather kit from Moss on my first TR6 restoration from 20+ years ago
and they were very nice, and wore well, but did not have the original pattern.
That's a long time ago so they are sure to have changed since then. I've not
used Vicky Brit but have seen their light tan seats (not an original color)
and it is beautiful especially on the BRG car I saw it installed in. Finally,
I just reupholstered my Stag seats with new kits from Rimmer Brothers. While
nice, they are not the same quality as I have seen from the US big three but I
was limited as Rimmer was the only affordable option for the Stag so I
wouldn't go with them for the TR6. So, I think the answer is they are all
quality kits and to go with the color and style you like best. IMHO.
Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Fl
74 TR6 (done!)
73 Stag (at the painter!)
58 TR3 (in boxes...)

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:37 AM, Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Allan,
> If the colour swatch looks the correct shade, definitely go with the
leather!
> Leather is worth the extra $225 for the unique wrinkles that appear as it
ages
> and for that wonderfull smell. And I think it breaths better than the
original
> "vented" vinyl.
> I had the seats redone on my '76 TR6 in the spring by a pro. The foam
started
> disintigrating in 2008 and by 2012 the seats had become extremely
> uncomfortable. I think the pro (Pete's Uphostery in Taylor Michigan)
charged
> around $220 and he did a perfect job using materials I'd purchased from
Moss
> (on sale at 15% to 17% off) - I bought the black leather kit & seat foam
kit
> for 2 seats and a diaphram with mounting hooks to replace the straps and
hooks
> on just the drivers side cushion. Vicky Britt and TRF don't offer leather.
> The black vinyl that came with TR6 is extremely durable and I  I could have
> reused it, but I wondered if that vinyl (or even the new vinyl) would look
> good in another 5 to 15 years.
> I also added seat heaters which makes top down T shirt driving on chilly
> summer nights or fall mornings possible and the standard alternator handles
> the load just fine.
> -Dave Murphy
> Dearborn MI
>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> Allan Reich wrote:
> Then I have to do the seats and have a few questions about the big three
> and their seat kits.
> Also opinions of foam kits and strap sets.
> Also interested opinions on if I am wasting money on leather vs pleather!
> Allan Reich
> Vancouver Canada
> 1975 TR6 - CF30255U
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:21:32 -0500

Allan & Larry,
The upholstery pattern on my black leather kit that I bought last year from
Moss for my '76 TR6 is identical to the original vinyl pattern (same number
and size of horizontal pleats, panel sizes and piping locations,  etc.) except
there are no diamond shaped angle-cut vent holes in the horizontal leather
pleats.
-Dave Murphy,
Dearborn MI

> Larry Miceli wrote:
 I choose the TRF seat kits in black vinyl due to the faithful reproduction to
original patterns.

> > If the colour swatch looks the correct shade, definitely go with the
leather
> >  for the unique wrinkles that appear as it ages
original "vented" vinyl.