Subject: [TR] Transmission Lube

From: Sam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:52:19 -0600

I'm sure this has been discussed ad neauseum but I would like to know what the
consensus is for Red Line lubricants.  I am running an A-Type OD in a TR6 and
regular tranny in a GT6.  Which is suitable?  MT90 or MTL?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:31:39 -0800

> I am running an A-Type OD in a TR6 and

The OD works on oil pressure, and using thinner oil will reduce the pressure
under some circumstances.  Might not be an issue, depending on how well your
unit holds pressure, but why take the chance?  Both Redline and Triumph (BL)
recommend 90 weight.  The TR6 box also has a known weakness in the thrust
washers, and the heavier oil may help protect them. Anyway, I use MT-90 in
all my street Triumphs and I'm very happy with it.

But the difference is not large (roughly the same as 30 weight motor oil to
40 weight) so it may actually make no difference at all.  If I were going
racing, I'd probably try the MTL (for very slightly less parasitic loss).

YMMV
-- Randall