Subject: [TR] Value/restoration

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 20:27:45 -0700 (PDT)

The thread concerning the worth of our cars came along at the same time I've
been adding up my cost/hours (tr-3).  I'm basically finished but still need to
install the top/side curtains as well as buy new wheels/tires.

I tried to
keep a very accurate count of hours spent but this can be somewhat flexible. 
I did not count time spent "sitting and thinking", reading up on procedures,
thinking through problems or consulting with experts.  I came up with 1470
hours.  

Adding up invoices came to a little over $15,000.  This included
parts purchased as well as services such as engine machining (i took apart and
assembled engine), chroming, glueing vinyl over 3 pieces of trim and final
paint spray.  Oh..........I didn't include the purchase of tools/equipment
needed such as a MIG welder and sand blasting cabinet kit I made.

This car
was a VERY RATTY car.  Probably a very borderline car to restore needing all
new floors, inner and outer sills, all brackets holding car to frame as well
as metal rotted out behind the brackets.  It had the bottom 8 inches of both
forward footwells rotted as well as that much of bottom front fenders.  Rear
fenders were good however trunk floor gone and very rear clip bashed in with
loads of bondo.  

The final cost depends on what I feel my labor is worth. 
If I pay myself $1.00 an hour I'll have a restoration for less than $17,000.
LOL  Since this car will stay in the family forever the cost isn't a big
concern.  I was surprised at the hour total.  This was an experience I can
check off my bucket list and was one of the most interesting, frustrating,
challenging and fun things I've done in years!  And I'm also glad its done!
gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive