Subject: Re: [TR] How many TR4s are there?

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:03:42 -0700

Sorry for your troubles, Tim.

40304 if the production line didn't skip numbers.

http://www.vtr.org/TR4/TR4-production.shtml

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tim Purdy
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:03 PM
To: TR List
Subject: [TR] How many TR4s are there?

I am still going through a living hell, in putting together my 1964 TR4 back
together when it got wrecked while parked--the damage was to the body, 
bonnet,
fender, etc, not frame or engine, but a slight ding to the radiator. 
Anyhow,
the other day, I was asked a most refreshing question, instead of the status
its been 5 1/2 months since the wreck.

The question was, how many TR4's are still on the road. I have not a clue. I
will add a second question, though I could probably research it, yet I bet
that someone knows the answer. How many TR4s were produced?

Tim Purdy
Susanville, CA

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 07:32:49 +0000 (GMT)

40304 sounds highly likely. My own figures culled some years ago from BMIHT
shows 68713 to include TR4A in what we used to call "fully built up"
condition. In other words, the cars were built in their entirity. However,
these figures are by no means final and while probably representing the bulk
of finished cars out of Coventry, they *exclude* the kits built in Belgium for
all EU markets, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Coventry did not keep
commission number info, with a 1 to 12 prefix and regarded as 12 separately
numbered ranges on overseas built units. All that info mostly vanished when
the various assembly plants were closed.
The only place where I know that
information is still likely to be available in an archive is in London and one
has to be a motor manufacturer to access it - even for simple historical
research.

Jonmac

http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk
>________________________________
> From: Cliff Hansen
<[email-masked]>
>To: Tim Purdy <[email-masked]>; TR List
<[email-masked]> 
>Sent: Sunday, 25 November 2012, 3:03
>Subject: Re:
[TR] How many TR4s are there?
>-----Original
Message----- From: Tim Purdy
>To:
TR List
>I am still going through a
living hell, in putting together my 1964 TR4 back
>together when it got
wrecked while parked--the damage was to the body, bonnet,
>fender, etc, not
frame or engine, but a slight ding to the radiator. Anyhow,
>the other day, I
was asked a most refreshing question, instead of the status
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>**
[email-masked] **
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:53:29 -0500

Tim,

I would speculate that maybe 10% to 20% of the original production.

The 4 did not do well up here in the northeast with all the salt/sand 
used during winter. On top of that, accidents took quite a few I would 
guess.

I have had my 63 on the road 4 seasons now since restoration and I have 
only seen 1 in all the shows/car hops I attend. I see a few 3s, many 6s, 
Spitfires, and even a GT6 or 2 but the 4s and even the 4As are few and 
far between.

I was at Watkins Glen a few years back in the 3 during the Fall vintage 
races. Triumph was the featured mark and the only 4 I could remember 
seeing was Matt's, from Triumph Rescue, red 4 under the tent. There were 
many other Triumphs but not the 4.
Same in the parking areas. The 6 was the most popular followed by the 3.

Good luck on your repairs.

Bob

  On 11/24/2012 09:03 PM, Tim Purdy wrote:
> together when it got wrecked while parked--the damage was to the body, bonnet,
> fender, etc, not frame or engine, but a slight ding to the radiator.  Anyhow,

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:29:22 -0600

I agree with Bob, there was a time when people were restoring TR3s, TR6s 
were often 2nd cars and they led sheltered lives, but many survived in good 
shape for many years (I know many didn't but still I think a higher 
percentage the the 4, and 4a).  In the late 80s and early nineties when I 
went to shows the TR3s and TR6s outnumbered the TR5s by 4 or 5 to 1 or more. 
People have certainly started to save and restore the TR4s at a higher rate, 
but I still don't think as manysurvived the bottom of the depreciation curve 
used car years as the earlier or later cars.

Nothing scientific, just my observations over the years going to shows in 
the midwest and being an off again on again Michelotti TR owner.

Greg Lemon

---

From: Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:17:39 -0600

FYI, 2 TR4's from my club (ISOA) were also there. We had a green one and a
red one.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF 22767U
Highland Park, IL
 On Nov 25, 2012 10:02 AM, "Bob Labuz" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The 4 did not do well up here in the northeast with all the salt/sand used
> during winter. On top of that, accidents took quite a few I would guess.
>
> Spitfires, and even a GT6 or 2 but the 4s and even the 4As are few and far
> between.
>
> races. Triumph was the featured mark and the only 4 I could remember seeing
> was Matt's, from Triumph Rescue, red 4 under the tent. There were many
> other Triumphs but not the 4.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/emanteno@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

---

From: "James Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:36:08 -0500

I have a 62 in the garage just out of the paint shop and ready to put back
together.  It is just like the old Monogram model kits, but the adult
version!
Jim Henningsen
62 TR4 CT5212LO
75 TR6 Miss Molly
Ocala, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Labuz
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:53 AM
To: Tim Purdy
Cc: TR List
Subject: Re: [TR] How many TR4s are there?

Tim,

I have had my 63 on the road 4 seasons now since restoration and I have only
seen 1 in all the shows/car hops I attend. I see a few 3s, many 6s,
Spitfires, and even a GT6 or 2 but the 4s and even the 4As are few and far
between.

I was at Watkins Glen a few years back in the 3 during the Fall vintage
races. Triumph was the featured mark and the only 4 I could remember seeing
was Matt's, from Triumph Rescue, red 4 under the tent. There were many other
Triumphs but not the 4.
Same in the parking areas. The 6 was the most popular followed by the 3.

Bob

  On 11/24/2012 09:03 PM, Tim Purdy wrote:
> I am still going through a living hell, in putting together my 1964 
> TR4 back together when it got wrecked while parked--the damage was to 
> the body, bonnet, fender, etc, not frame or engine, but a slight ding 
> to the radiator.  Anyhow, the other day, I was asked a most refreshing 
> question, instead of the status its been 5 1/2 months since the wreck.
>
> The question was, how many TR4's are still on the road. I have not a 
> clue. I will add a second question, though I could probably research 
> it, yet I bet that someone knows the answer. How many TR4s were produced?
>
> Tim Purdy
> Susanville, CA

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]