Subject: [TR] TR3 Tail Lamp Wiring

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 08:07:41 -0800 (PST)

So today is the last day of good roadster weather for awhile in Tehachapi
(southern Sierra Nevadas). Driving to work this morning in my TR3A, a wire
fell down from under the dash. I went to advanceautowire.com and printed a
schematic and it shows that this red/red&green wire with an inline fuse in the
middle is the wiring between the lighting switch and the panel light switch.
Sure enough, I don't have tail lights now and have to drive home in the dark.
I'll fix it at lunch.
     My question is, ISTR that I have done this before,
several times in 21 years of driving this car. Is there a way to make it
permanent? It seems like it needs stress relief. I was thinking of soldering
on a sleeve onto the end that is already pre-bent to the proper angle so the
wire hangs at the proper angle. Or maybe after mounting the wires they need to
be supported better so they don't flop around. Any ideas?
     TIA,

Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:55:42 -0500

---- William Brewer <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> permanent? 

Was the fuse holder mounted in its clip?  Was the wire perhaps pulled too tight?

One thing that seemed to help was to add a short length of heat shrink tubing across the end of the original insulation and slightly out onto the bare wire.  You can see a sample at
http://goo.gl/Ncp5V

Randall