Subject: [TR] TR3 steering column and gearbox mount

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:28:04 -0500

Question:  does a one-piece steering column have any securing pieces between
the large rubber grommet at the firewall and the steering box itself?  Also,
what is the purpose of the welded bolt which protrudes from the front of the
gearbox mount crossmember?  Really appreciate the help.  Thanks!

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:42:29 -0800

> the large rubber grommet at the firewall and the steering box itself?

No.  The later 2-piece columns have several, but the one piece doesn't.

> what is the purpose of the welded bolt

Sorry, no idea.  Mine just has a hole there.

-- Randall

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:44:54 -0600

<<<Question:  does a one-piece steering column have any securing pieces
between the large rubber grommet at the firewall and the steering box
itself?  Also, what is the purpose of the welded bolt which protrudes from
the front of the gearbox mount cross member?  Really appreciate the
help.>>>>

Andrew,
On a one-piece shaft the is no support between the firewall and the steering
box.
If it is the welded bolt like mine then it is for the safety brake to mount
onto.
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:10:56 -0800

My apologies, Andrew.  I had totally forgotten about the bracket that
fastens the column to the front side of the shock tower.  It's pretty much
impossible to see until you get the apron off, but when I started to pull
the column today, there it was.

http://goo.gl/3OqB0

-- Randall

---

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:45:54 -0500

Hello Randall &List:
Just wondering about the steering column mount that Randall identified 
in his photo. Was it an addition a bit later in the production run? I 
have a very original (and I think unmolested) TR2 and this mount is 
nowhere to be seen. Looks like it might be a bolt on addition added at a 
later date? Wondering as well, how important it might be to stiffen up 
the column and prevent some of the inevitable flex in the column?
Thanks for any insights.
Angelo Graham