Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:13:01 -0500

I just had a car painted and am putting the fenders and panels back on.  I
think this is probably the most stressful thing I have done, for various
reasons:
-  Worried about scratching the new paint
-  Worried that the panels won't fit
-  Worried that the captured nuts will fail  this one time

Driving a restored car for the first time comes close, but I think this
takes the prize.  What thinks the list ?

Andrew Uprichard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:36:00 -0500

Crashing it?  :^)

In my case, it was dropping a bicycle on the newly painted bonnet.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: November-26-12 6:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to do on a Triumph?

Andrew Uprichard

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:55:03 -0500

Hitting a freeway exit ramp too fast and learning the hard way that the left rear wheel is no longer securely attached to its hub.

Or maybe starting a downhill ramp at 70+ mph and discovering that not only the foot brake but the hand brake are both ineffective, and there is cross traffic at the foot of the ramp.  Took a long time to regain my composure after that one!

Lots more stressful than worrying about some scratches in the paint, to me anyway.  Of course, that probably explains why my car has lots of little scratches and dents :)

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:27:20 -0500 (EST)

For me it's trying to get the windshield out of a TR7 or 8 without  
breaking it 
 
 i'm 1 for 3
 
Jack Mc

 

In a message dated 11/26/2012 7:43:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Most  stressful - Every sound the freshly restored car makes in its first 
500
to  700 miles.

Run a tap through the captive nuts while its still apart and  chase the
threads on your hardware if in any doubt.

Use painters  tape and clean bedsheets on panels to pad them as you get them
on to  prevent scratches, or worse yet - dropping a wrench, screwdriver or
bolt  onto them :(

Jonas Payne
PBR  Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From:  [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On  Behalf Of Andrew Uprichard
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:13 PM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] what is the most stressful thing to  do on a Triumph?

Andrew Uprichard

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Brian Induni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:59:12 -0800

Most frustrating thing for me on ANY car I restore is crappy replacement
body panels! I haven't found one source yet that can supply decent (I didn't
say perfect did I?) panels that I don't have to slice, dice, and reshape.
Case in point - I ordered a rear valance for my '63 MGB from Rimmer (figured
it was close enough to the source to get it right) and ended up having to
totally reshape it to get the correct curve in it. No, it wasn't just a
little off - the curvature of the panel was so far off that didn't allow the
bumper to fit and I could stick my hand in the gap between the boot lid and
the edge. Dog legs, fender repair panels, and so on - all the same crappy
work.

Seems to make sense to buy a shrinker / stretcher and make my own panels.

Stepping off the box now...

Brian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:51:25 -0500 (EST)

I have fitted at least 2 of BMH approved TR8/TR7 front spoilers from Rimmer 
 which I am certain were produced from original tooling to exactly original 
 specifications - They are just as ill fitting as the original and all have 
 to be warped in the same direction as the originals were,  to stand any  
chance of getting them on.
 
YMMV with other parts I suppose, but I wonder how many fit incorrectly  
BECAUSE they are EXACXTLY like the originals.
 
Cheers,
Jack Mc

 
In a message dated 11/27/2012 4:28:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

AFAIK,  Rimmjer is a British Motor Heritage authorised stockist and can 
source
the  so-called 'off original tools' parts from BMH. I guess they can also
source  non-BMH 'will(sort of) fit' stuff from other suppliers. 
Additionally,
how  many re-shapes / mods / whatevers did the MGB undergo in its 500,000+
model  life? And in the middle of all that, you have the human factor of
incorrect  part labelling / computer failures et al. After 40 years in the
parts  business, anything can happen and usually does.

Jonmac

PS NFI or  any
other involvement with Rimmers or anyone  else

>________________________________
> From: Brian  Induni
<[email-masked]>
>Sent: Tuesday, 27
November 2012, 19:59
>Subject: Re: [TR]  what is the most stressful thing to do
on a Triumph?
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]