Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 oil filter canister question

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 07:22:40 -0700

The oil filter housings are not all the same, the later ones did have a
large "washer" to reinforce the end of the canister.  It is shown in the
illustration in "Practical Hints" although I'm guessing that it was supplied
only as part of the canister since it's not listed in the parts catalogs.

Yes, the seal has to be replaced from time to time.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:31:18 -0500

Dave,
There is a seal for the end of the canister, yours may have finally cracked.
Yes, there is a large washer behind the hex head.  Sending a picture
off-line.

Or, are you sure the oil is not running down the bottom of the can from the
o-ring at the head. I have mis-aligned this once/twice before.

It can only be those to area, cheap fix.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B" (in rehab)
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of davewillner
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:55 AM
To: 'Triumph List'
Subject: [TR] TR3 oil filter canister question

I just changed the oil and filter in my 3, I have the original Percolator
head still in place. I now have a small constant stream of oil leaking out
the bottom hole where the bolt goes in when its running, not up at the top
where the typical seal problems occur. I've never taken this
bolt/washer/spring assembly apart (35 years) and wondering if they typically
need a rebuild with fresh seals at some point?

Also the long hex bolt has alway had a large 1" cupped metal washer under
the hex head on the outside, just wondering if anyone else has that or maybe
its just a DPO "enhancement?" All the exploded parts drawings I've seen
don't show the washer...Txs

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg PA
59 TR3A
70 MGB
70 BSA 441 VS

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]