Subject: Re: [TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:16:44 -0400

Chip - Worm and sector steering boxes often have some play built into the
system when the gears are at sharp steering angles. This way, since most of
the wear occurs at straight angles, the lash adjustment won't cause binding
when you steer into corners but can reduce backlash where you don't want it
which is in the straight ahead position. If you over-adjust the lash screw,
you will find the steering is much better when driving straight ahead but
corners will terrify you when the steering wheel won't self-center. That
means the sector or worm shaft is worn. Hopefully that makes sense. So much
for that type of steering box. 

Looking at the Big Brown Book for TR-6 repair, I see a shim pack that can
adjust for end play of the pinion and there is also a steering rack damper
that helps to snub side-to-side play of the rack. In this case, side-to side
movement is perpendicular to the rack, not parallel. That is also adjusted
with shim packs. Not sure how similar a TR-4 is. I'm sure more knowledgeable
folks will reply.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

The play is noticeable when the wheels are off the ground and I turn the
steering wheel side-to-side or when the wheels are off the ground and I grab
a  wheel and move it left or right.  The play (subtle, muffled click) is
coming from the rack & pinion area.  
 
If these are rebuildable, where does one buy a rebuild kit?
 
Another thing I wondered about....years ago I owned a 1966 Chevy  Corvair.  
As the steering box got "sloppy", I was able to tighten the lash  at the box
with an adjustment screw/bolt......of course that wasn't rack &  pinion but
does the TR rack have an adjustment capability to tighten lash?
 
chip

In a message dated 10/23/2012 2:55:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

Is the  play mostly when driving straight? 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:38:45 -0400

Moss has most of the parts. I think I got mine from TRF years ago. All  
the info and specs are in the Bentley Manual. Aside from the pinion  
there is a bushing for the pinion shaft and shims to adjust pinion  
mesh to the rack. There is also a ball joint on each end of the rack  
(inside the boot) which uses shims to adjust the play. One other thing  
about maintenance; there is a threaded plug in the cap which shims the  
pinion. That plug is supposed to be removed and a grease fitting  
installed to grease the rack, then take the fitting out and reinstall  
the plug.

Allen
On Oct 23, 2012, at 4:36 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> The play is noticeable when the wheels are off the ground and I turn  
> the steering wheel side-to-side or when the wheels are off the  
> ground and I grab a wheel and move it left or right.  The play  
> (subtle, muffled click) is coming from the rack & pinion area.
>
> Another thing I wondered about....years ago I owned a 1966 Chevy  
> Corvair.  As the steering box got "sloppy", I was able to tighten  
> the lash at the box with an adjustment screw/bolt......of course  
> that wasn't rack & pinion but does the TR rack have an adjustment  
> capability to tighten lash?
>
> chip
>
> In a message dated 10/23/2012 2:55:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
>  writes: