Subject: [TR] Early TR4 Steering Rack Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

List,
 
I have some old-age induced play in my steering rack (it's definitely in  
the rack and not at the inner rod cups).  Finding a new or  rebuilt early TR4 
steering rack is getting to be a challenge.  Since  they're seem to be a 
lot of later TR4 racks for sale, I'm wondering if there's  anyway to fit the 
later rack to the earlier TR4 frame mounts.  
 
I know that the mountings are different between the later TR4/TR6 racks and 
 the early racks but has anyone been able to actually mount a later rack to 
and  earlier TR4 frame?
 
Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA 
1962 TR4  CT2052L

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:46:29 -0400

Is the play mostly when driving straight? My pinion was worn in the  
straight position, rack was OK. Replaced the pinion and fine for the  
last 12 years. The later racks may not have the locating pins used for  
the solid mounts, but I don't know.

Allen
CT13678L

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:36:39 -0400 (EDT)

The play is noticeable when the wheels are off the ground and I turn the  
steering wheel side-to-side or when the wheels are off the ground and I grab 
a  wheel and move it left or right.  The play (subtle, muffled click) is  
coming from the rack & pinion area.  
 
If these are rebuildable, where does one buy a rebuild kit?
 
Another thing I wondered about....years ago I owned a 1966 Chevy  Corvair.  
As the steering box got "sloppy", I was able to tighten the lash  at the 
box with an adjustment screw/bolt......of course that wasn't rack &  pinion 
but does the TR rack have an adjustment capability to tighten lash?
 
chip

In a message dated 10/23/2012 2:55:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Is the  play mostly when driving straight?