Subject: [TR] turn signals?

From: John Gillis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:33:35 +0100

can I throw an odd one out to the oracle; I noticed when I had my side lights
on, I could not really see the flasher flashing, it is a double filament bulb,
but is hardly noticeable over the side light itself.
cheers
John
1954 TR2

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 18:42:46 -0500

I think that can happen if you have the wiring reversed on the lights, i.e. 
turn signal is going to side light filament and vice versa.
Anyway its an easy check.

Greg Lemon

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:58:31 -0700

John --

My guess would be that you have the wires switched.  There are two
filaments in the bulb -- one has low wattage (5?) for the illuminated light
such as a tail light -- the other is bright (21W?) for the flasher or brake
lights.

The bulb only mounts one way but if the wires are connected incorrectly you
will get the result you describe.

Geo

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 17:10:13 -0700

> I noticed when I 
> had my side lights

That is a sign that the fixture is wired wrong.  Swap the two hot wires, so
the bright filament is for turn signals and the dim filament for side light
(aka parking light in the US).

-- Randall

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 20:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

I suspect that the wiring is reversed, so you're seeing the brighter filament
as the side lamp and the dimmer filament as the flasher.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gillis <[email-masked]>

can I throw an odd one out to the oracle; I noticed when I had my side lights
on, I could not really see the flasher flashing, it is a double filament
bulb,
but is hardly noticeable over the side light itself.iumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Pete Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 21:29:42 -0400

If not wired backwards it is certainly a bad ground.
Pete

-----Original Message----- 
From: Randall
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 8:10 PM
To: 'John Gillis' ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] turn signals?

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 06:00:52 -0700

> If not wired backwards it is certainly a bad ground.
Not certainly.  Could also be a corroded contact at the bulb/socket 
interface or a corroded bullet connector.

There are very few certainties in life beyond death and taxes. I find it 
interesting that in the US when you die you are still expected to pay 
taxes on any income made that year prior to the moment of your death.  I 
wonder if there are tax preparation people who are also mediums.  And 
can the person who died deduct the price of their funeral from their taxes?

TeriAnn

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 10:02:28 -0400

On 10/6/2012 7:58 PM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> The bulb only mounts one way

It's only supposed to mount one way, but I've seen plenty of folks who 
managed to put it in backwards.  Especially easy on an old socket.  I 
recommend that you check the bulb first before you switch the wires.

--Jeff