Subject: Re: [TR] Clutch movement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 18:32:30 -0400 (EDT)

What car?  The TR6 is notorious for clutch engagement.  Changing clutch 
cross shaft lever holes can help.  A larger diameter master cylinder or a 
smaller slave cylinder diameter can also help.

Dave

In a message dated 10/6/2012 9:15:46 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Got my clutch problems sorted out, now everything is new except the 
> upper pipe...No air left when I bleed, etc.
> 
> So I'm curious:  How much should the pushrod move when I press the 
> pedal?  The car changes gear OK, but I feel that I'm right on the edge 
> of it not working....and it doesnt' look like it moves much more than a 
> half-inch or so.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 08:01:49 -0400

Dave,

I have to agree. I just switched rides from my 72 6 to my 63 4 and the 
first time out last Friday, I thought my clutch on the 4 was too soft. 
But I checked it out on a short drive around the block and everything 
was fine. Fluid level was fine and so was the operation. It was just I 
was used to the much harder pedal on the 6. Now on the 3, it is even 
better. I know the 3 and 4 have the same pressure plate and slave but I 
think the MC must be a bigger diameter than on the 3. I have to say, the 
clutch operation on the 3 is the best of the 3 Triumphs I own.

All engage at the same spot, just that all 3 require different amounts 
of force from my foot!

Bob

On 10/07/2012 06:32 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:23:18 -0400

On 10/7/2012 6:32 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> What car?

Sorry, I left that out:  75 TR6

> The TR6 is notorious for clutch engagement.

Yeah, that's what makes me think this is normal.  I just wanted a data 
point to compare it.  Given a stock setup with new components, the 
pushrod should move a certain amount...

> Changing clutch

So far, I'm not sure there's a problem.  Drove 10 miles or so, and only 
missed one downshift.  Could have been me, I suppose.  The car shifts 
fine, otherwise.  It's just that, with the trans tunnel off, I can see 
that the lever doesn't move a whole lot.

Of course, when you think about it, the brakes really don't move a whole 
lot either, and they manage to get the job done.  So maybe I'm thinking 
too much.  That's happened before...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 16:33:33 -0400

---- Jeff <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> It's just that, with the trans tunnel off, I can see 

ISTR that one of the Buckeye articles gives the "normal" movement as about 5/8" at the clevis pin.

The only time I measured it on my TR3A, that was about right.  (My problem proved to be a broken taper pin.)

Randall