Subject: Re: [TR] Interesting experience

From: "Brian Induni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:48:51 -0700

TeriAnn, do you think you could/would ever be able to find the girl again?
If you ran in to the family at the local grocery store, I bet it wouldn't be
too difficult to make contact. The reason I ask is; if this 14 year old had
THAT much interest as admitted to by her family, I suggest we as a group
could find, purchase, and deliver a TR3 project to her. We all need to start
taking action to help keep this dying hobby alive and show the younger
generation how important collaboration and group resources are. There must
be at least 100 of us on this list - if we each chipped in $100, I bet $10k
would find a great project AND get it delivered to her AND provide some
getting start cash for parts, tools, etc. Call me crazy in these tough
times, but I'd forgo getting the new windscreen for my MGB to chip in the
cash. How about it? 

Here's a great candidate
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Triumph-TR-Project-/230864568925?pt=US_C
ars_Trucks&hash=item35c099c25d

I coach the local High School FIRST Robotics team, and I can attest to the
great things kids can do and dreams you can inspire with just a little
generosity and guidance.

Brian

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 07:10:47 -0700
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Interesting experience
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I had an interesting experience yesterday in the grocery store parking 
lot.  A family was standing around looking at my TR3 when I came out of 
the grocery store. Of course as I approached I asked if there were any 
questions about the car I could answer.

As it turns out the 14 year old daughter has her heart set on having a 
TR3 when she gets older. According to her parents and older brother she 
has been researching cars for a couple of years looking for a cute 
roadster/convertible that wassimple enough for her to learn to work on.  
She is hoping to find a tired driver that she could restore herself.  So 
of course the family had a lot of questions and I let her sit inside one 
for the very first time so she could get a feel for the interior. She 
got her picture taken behind the wheeland I think became even more 
determined to become a future TR3 owner.

Unfortunately they suddenly decided that they needed tobe off before 
frozen food thawed and I did not get their contact informationbefore 
they drove off.  But it was nice to see that I wasn't the only girl 
smitten by a TR3 and was willing to take restoring one on.

TeriAnn

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:13:49 -0600

Brian Induni wrote:
> could find, purchase, and deliver a TR3 project to her.
That would be cool!

Oddly enough just a minute before I read this a $100 contribution was sent
via Paypal to [email-masked].  I don't know exactly who it was 
that
sent it or what list he is on.  Just a coincidence, I guess.

mjb.

---

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:36:04 -0400

Unless dad is into doing a lot of work - I think there are better candidates
out there.  And not necessarily on eBay.  
Jm2cw
C

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
Still being restored - but 2012 looks like the year..

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian Induni
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Interesting experience

Here's a great candidate

Brian

Message: 4

I had an interesting experience yesterday in the grocery store parking lot.
A family was standing around looking at my TR3 when I came out of the
grocery store. Of course as I approached I asked if there were any questions
about the car I could answer.

As it turns out the 14 year old daughter has her heart set on having a
TR3 when she gets older. According to her parents and older brother she has
been researching cars for a couple of years looking for a cute
roadster/convertible that wassimple enough for her to learn to work on.  
She is hoping to find a tired driver that she could restore herself.  So of
course the family had a lot of questions and I let her sit inside one for
the very first time so she could get a feel for the interior. She got her
picture taken behind the wheeland I think became even more determined to
become a future TR3 owner.

Unfortunately they suddenly decided that they needed tobe off before frozen
food thawed and I did not get their contact informationbefore they drove
off.  But it was nice to see that I wasn't the only girl smitten by a TR3
and was willing to take restoring one on.

TeriAnn

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:47:13 +0100 (BST)

I recently watched a film on UK TV about a young lady, fresh out of high
school at 16 with few qualifications to her name. She'd got a love affair with
Bug Eye Sprites (yes, I know its the wrong list) but what she did was
a_mazing. 
She aspired to run her own Hairdressing Salon and this meant two
days a week at school learning about hair and make-up etc etc and four working
as a trainee. She saved her pennies and bought a real basket case of a 1960
Sprite. Dad said that if she was that determined he'd help her if she asked
him - but she didn't. 
So she went to night school to learn how to cut steel
sheet and weld. Then she did a course in mechanics, followed by another course
in painting and she read every book she could find in the local library about
car restoration and the mysteries of Lucas. Bless her, five years later she'd
finished that Sprite. It was drop dead gorgeous (though she was prettier) and
on its first outing to a classic car show, she won Car of the Day.
As a result
of all that determination, she then won sponsorship from an Enterprise Forum
and opened her own Salon and, apart from still using her Sprite, now has two
more Salons on the go. Pretty good going for someone under 25 who made up her
mind she was going to do it all herself and especially someone who isn't
afraid of hard work!

Jonmac   
________________________________

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 04:02:51 +0000 (UTC)

A number of bygone British phrases come to mind, but I am cautioned by Lotusphile Mike Causer that I sound like Bertie Wooster.

Oh, what the hell...

Jolly good show!

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:47:13 PM
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]