Subject: [TR] headlights dimmer

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:32:07 -0700 (PDT)

I've installed the tripod 700 headlights (tr-3) with two relays per headlight,
one each for high and low beams.  This includes a red wire power line from
starter solenoid on firewall.  Today I tried the dimmer switch for the first
time with no change.  All I have is brights and the lights go out completely
when I hit the dimmer.
I'm checking into the switch but also wonder about the
red power wire and whether that needs to go through the dimmer switch?  Or is
this comparable to the front turn signal lights in that I need to reverse the
wires to the headlights?  

Electrical neophyte dufus here. LOL

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:47:28 -0400

Kind of hard to say with that description.  It is possible to wire the bulbs wrong, but usually in that case you get a dim yellow glow rather than nothing at all.

I would start by verifying the voltages at the low beam relays with the low beams enabled.  You should find 12v across the relay coil terminals (85 and 86 if you used a modern style relay) (UR to black wires if you kept the original wiring colors).  And 12v from the relay output (the wire to the headlight) to ground.

-- Randall

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:16:01 -0700

You may have lost a ground.  I experimented with a poor ground and found
the low beams could 'find' a ground via the high beam indicator light on
the speedo.

Do you really have brights but no low beams or are you seeing the indicator
light up when the lights are on and assuming that it is the high beams
you're seeing?

IOW, when I had a bad ground I could get low beams & the indicator light
but switching to high beams got me nothing,

Geo

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Today I tried the dimmer switch for the first
> when I hit the dimmer...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:17:44 -0400 (EDT)

I wouldn't be surprised if you are running both filaments when they are on. 
 How are the relay coils wired up?  The relay coil for the high (main) beam 
should be powered off of the Blue/White wire and the relay coil for the low 
(dip)beam should be powered off of the Blue/Red wire.  If both relays are 
wired to the same blue/something wire then they are both energizing at the 
same time instead of alternately.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:40:18 -0400 (EDT)

The headlam dimmer is standard equipment.  Some call it the wiring harness.

Dave

In a message dated 10/27/2012 5:44:31 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Have I missed something here on this thread.
> 
> My question is why would someone want to fit a headlamp dimmer?
> Is it not the purpose of headlamps to be as bright as possible to see 
> where 
> you are going?
> Or is it some local regulation in towns maybe.
> Someone enlighten me or am I just being dim (excuse the double pun).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:42:03 -0400 (EDT)

Doesn't stop me.  I'm the master of the too late punch line.

Dave

In a message dated 10/27/2012 6:29:47 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Hey Don, you've denied the whole Triumph community the opportunity of yet
> another (side splitting) 'joke' about Lucas.