Subject: [TR] advice needed

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 06:24:13 -0500

car is a 75 spitfire, but the spit list isnbt nearly as helpful, plus the
technology is similar, so indulge me please

when I got the car the fuel pump was not working; bought a cheapie off of ebay
and car ran fine for months.  no issues.

car ran fine a few weeks ago; I donbt run this car every day, but I do try
to drive it every other week or so.  its probably been a month since I ran
it.

car would not start

shots of starter fluid caused it to crank up then die, so clearly itbs a
fuel delivery problem

there is a fuel filter in the rear (trunk) and one in the engine compartment
in front of the standard fuel pump.

added an electric fuel pump in the engine compartment with no luck.  I canbt
remember if it was before or after the fuel filter, but it was before the
mechanical fuel pump.

bypassed the fuel filter and mechanical pump with the electric and car ran.

added the fuel filter to the mix; realized I had it in backwards in that fuel
was coming out of the connection, turned it around, and the car ran.

removed the electric fuel pump, put the system back together, and it ran.
drove the car for about 15 minutes and it ran just fine.

is it possible I had the fuel filter in backwards and it ran for a few months
then finally stopped?

is it possible that since this is a suction system, not a gravity flow like a
tr that since I had not driven the car in a month that the mechanical pump did
not have the oomph to pull the gas and didnbt work until I had bprimedb
the system?

now Ibm concerned about driving that car; Ibm afraid its going to just
die.  I guess I should keep that electric pump in the car.  should I replace
the fuel filter?  fuel pump?  the car? (just kidding)

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 17:40:16 -0400

> is it possible I had the fuel filter in backwards and it ran for a few months

Are you saying you took the filter that was in there for several months 
and turned it around, and you're now running the fuel through it the 
other way?

That's not a good idea.

I suppose it could have been clogged - when you swapped it round you 
cleared the clog by washing it downstream to your carburetters.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.