Subject: Re: [TR] 89mm pistons & liners

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 19:02:46 -0400

---- Allen Hess <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Has anyone used the 89mm piston and liner set? (available from Moss  
> and BPNW) It would be for a "street" engine and the improved piston  
> design and made in the UK

I haven't installed mine yet, but it sounds like maybe you have a different set than I do.  Do Moss & BPNW really claim they are made in the UK?

I got mine from BFE (who didn't recommend them for street use) and AFAIK all the components were made right here in the USA.  Deves piston rings, Venolia pistons, and custom liners by LA Sleeve.  I don't recall if Ken said where the gaskets came from, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by GasketWorks.  These are all very well respected companies, practically legendary in the high performance engine parts business.

Randall

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:27:11 -0400

I haven't purchased any yet. The BPNW page has a Powertune logo with  
the British flag, though I can't find them on the web.
http://www.bpnorthwest.com/index.php/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/piston-and-liner-kit-89mm.html
Moss doesn't say where they are made but the description and image of  
the piston is very much the same.

I didn't know BFE also made a set until Marty Sukey mentioned it.

Do you plan to use yours for the street?

Allen

On Oct 9, 2012, at 7:02 PM, Randall wrote:

> I haven't installed mine yet, but it sounds like maybe you have a  
> different set than I do.  Do Moss & BPNW really claim they are made  
> in the UK?
>
> I got mine from BFE (who didn't recommend them for street use) and  
> AFAIK all the components were made right here in the USA.  Deves  
> piston rings, Venolia pistons, and custom liners by LA Sleeve.  I  
> don't recall if Ken said where the gaskets came from, but I wouldn't  
> be surprised if they were made by GasketWorks.  These are all very  
> well respected companies, practically legendary in the high  
> performance engine parts business.
>
> Randall

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:54:20 -0400

I bought county line liners and pistons. Was surprised that the pistons
were a lot heavier than the worn out hepolites.

I did a careful job to balance them and they were quite close.