Subject: [TR] C40 generators

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 07:28:09 -0400

Apparently the generator and voltage regulator for the TR2-4A evolved over
tone. Initially they were rated for 19 ps, then later rated for 22A. Are there
any model numbers to distinguish which generator is which?  And which
regulator is which?

Internally how we're they different?  I once thought that there was no change
in the generator, it was just pushed a little harder by the regulator. But I
have not clearly identified a difference between older and newer regulators
relay windings.  Recently a friend noted a possible difference between
generator armature windings. One had 5 turns of a pair of wires for each
commutator terminal while another had 6 turns. Could 5 turns be for 22A and
6turns for 19A?

I have 2 spare generators both are stamped Lucas and C40-1. One seems to be
dated 1965 and the other 1976.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 30, 2012, at 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Send Triumphs mailing list submissions to
>    [email-masked]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    [email-masked]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    [email-masked]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Triumphs digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Troubleshooting HS6 Carb Issue ([email-masked])
>   2. Re: Tarbaby Triumph, sort of ([email-masked])
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:44:51 -0700
> From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TR] Troubleshooting HS6 Carb Issue
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> I had a similar problem with a TR4.  It was one of the float valves
> sticking closed.  The easy cure is to tap the top of the float
> chamber with the handle end of a screw driver.
>
> Near as I can figure it was cause by minute partials of rust mixing with
> the lead substitute gumming up the valves
> if they dried out from sitting.  The problem eventually cured itself
> just through driving a lot.  I expect it finally flushed all the
> partials out.
>
> If this is your problem my guess is that removing the top of the carb
> shakes it up enough to free the needle valve.
>
> Edward Hamer
> Petaluma CA
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 08:16:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TR] Tarbaby Triumph, sort of
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> The best of both worlds.  You get to work on it and someone else pays for
> it!
>
> Dave
>
> In a message dated 9/28/2012 6:40:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
>> Sure enough, I head down there and there sits that TR7 that sat outside
>> that Tunex
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Triumphs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs
>
>
> End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 394
> ****************************************

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 06:59:23 -0700

The 19 amp generator was model C39PV/2, part 22258x.  The main housing is
slightly smaller diameter than the later C40 but the mounting points are the
same (making them interchangeable as complete units even though the parts
are different).  ISTR that at least some of the C40s had a step in the
housing but I could be mistaken on that point.  I don't know if it would
apply to all Lucas units, but at least for the Triumph application, the C39
had screw terminals while the C40 had 'Lucar' quick connects.  I don't know
if they were electrically different or not, it may have been just that the
larger armature cooled better.  The C39 will easily put out 22 amps (or
more), but will eventually overheat at that current.

Very early control boxes were RB106/1, but early RB106/2 were also for the
19 amp generator, part number 37182x.  My documentation shows part number
37283x and 37290x for the 22 amp version (which again had Lucar instead of
screw terminals).  Again I'm not certain if there was any electrical
difference, but the "open circuit voltage" specification went up by 0.4
volts.  I grabbed one of each out of the parts bin and they definitely have
the same number of current turns on the regulator relay, but there might be
a change in the number of voltage turns (which are inside a plastic sleeve
and hard to see).

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:36:00 +0000 (UTC)

Randall,

Thanks for the GREAT info.B  I had not known that the C39 was the "19 amp"
version.B  I had noticed the step down in the case diameter in the C40, and I
presume it was to be used in some retrofit situations for the C39, and needed
the clearance.

It makes sense that the came compensated regulator unit could be used for 19
amps or 22 amps just by increasing the regulated voltage (and therefore
current) b y a little.B  This results in more overcharging by day, but less
discharging by night.

I have a few donor RB106 units.B  Some are pretty old (1950's) and I will see
if I can compare to newer ones If I have any on the voltage alone B vs
voltage+ current action.

I am not thrilled at all by the overcharging that occurs by day when using
"maintenance-free" batteries!!!B  I am not a fan of the entire "compensated"
design.

-Tony

----- Original Message -----

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: "Anthony Rhodes" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 9:59:23 AM
Subject: RE: [TR] C40 generators

The 19 amp generator was model C39PV/2, part 22258x. B The main housing is
slightly smaller diameter than the later C40 but the mounting points are the
same (making them interchangeable as complete units even though the parts
are different). B ISTR that at least some of the C40s had a step in the
housing but I could be mistaken on that point. B I don't know if it would
apply to all Lucas units, but at least for the Triumph application, the C39
had screw terminals while the C40 had 'Lucar' quick connects. B I don't know
if they were electrically different or not, it may have been just that the
larger armature cooled better. B The C39 will easily put out 22 amps (or
more), but will eventually overheat at that current.

Very early control boxes were RB106/1, but early RB106/2 were also for the
19 amp generator, part number 37182x. B My documentation shows part number
37283x and 37290x for the 22 amp version (which again had Lucar instead of
screw terminals). B Again I'm not certain if there was any electrical
difference, but the "open circuit voltage" specification went up by 0.4
volts. B I grabbed one of each out of the parts bin and they definitely have
the same number of current turns on the regulator relay, but there might be
a change in the number of voltage turns (which are inside a plastic sleeve
and hard to see).

-- Randall B