Subject: Re: [TR] lift the dot fastner tr3

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:18:35 -0400

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, at 10:46 AM, Frank Fishert wrote:

>
> on to the next question.
> having never owned a tonneau i have no experience of taking one off or
putting one on.
> so how have you guys oriented your fasteners?
> did you start at the windshield zipper location and have the "lift the dot"
stamping facing toward the passenger. work you way around the tonneau in the
same way. make the passenger side the mirror image?
> im sure one or two have said "i wished id put that on the other way around"
The original tonneau that came with my 62 TR4 had the "dots" across the dash
oriented so that the dots were to the outside of the car (i.e. driver side is
opposite to passenger side). The "dots" down the sides have the dots facing
forward. The "dots" across the rear are similar to those on the dash in that
the dots face toward the outside of the car (again the driver side is opposite
to the passenger side. The idea here is that typically you remove the tonneau
by unsnapping from the front corner toward the centre of the dash, work your
way toward the back and then across the back. Repeat on the other side. Many
top and tonneau installers often have the dot pointing toward the outside of
the material - not because it is a better way to do it, but because the tool
they use only allows the holes to be punched in that direction (the
scissor/pliers type of punch as opposed to the hammer and punch type). I would
think that with the TR3 it would be easier if the dots pointed downward on the
doors so that you can lift vertically to remove them.

Keith R. Stewart
London, Ontario
E-Mail: keithstewartATexeculinkDOTcom

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Keith Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:18:35 -0400

putting one on.

Keith R. Stewart
London, Ontario