Subject: [TR] TR3A Spare Tire

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 01:45:04 +0000 (UTC)

Does anyone have recommendations for a spare tire that will fit into the spare tire trunk of a TR3A?  I know we can find old 155s and replace with a new tube, but I recall years back a discussion on possible modern donut spares that would fit a TR3A as well as the trunk.  Thanks.

Scott Suhring
70 TR5
59 TR3A

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:10:05 -0700

> Does anyone have recommendations for a spare tire that will 
> fit into the spare tire trunk of a TR3A?

I found a "compact spare" at the local junkyard that fit on a stock TR3
wheel and fits easily inside my early spare tire compartment.  (The
compartment did get larger at TS6000.)  Not sure what car it was from,
possibly an 80's Nissan Maxima.  The wheel had the right bolt pattern, but
would not clear the brake calipers on my TR so I moved the tire to a TR3
wheel.  Tire size is marked as "T135/70D15".  Looks like the 2012 Honda
Civic Hybrid uses the same tire.  Also 95-98 Acura TL and 87 Mazda RX7.

Only problem, there is enough room left over in the compartment for the
spare to slide around.  I keep a spare blanket stuffed in beside it to
prevent the sliding; which also makes a handy knee protector while changing
tires or performing other roadside service.

It's my understanding that the temporary spares do not suffer from the "old
age" problem of ordinary car tires.  Of course they are also not recommended
for high speed or prolonged use.  That said, I drove about 2 hours at 70+
mph on mine, with no ill effects.

There's a photo at http://goo.gl/DPpp6  Kind of grungy since the tire had
just been forcibly removed from my wrecked TR3A.

-- Randall

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:35:06 -0700

> Does anyone have recommendations for a spare tire that will fit into the spare tire trunk of a TR3A?  I know we can find old 155s and replace with a new tube, but I recall years back a discussion o…
I have a 165/15 on a 48 spoke wheel as a spare. Tight but it fits in my 
post TS60000 3A.  I can not get a 60 spoke wheel to fit.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:10:05 -0700

-- Randall

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:35:06 -0700

TeriAnn