Subject: [TR] TR3A rear spring "fulcrum" bolt

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:01:24 -0400

Is there really nothing but rust holding that odd triangular shaped head 
of that bolt against the frame?  That front bolt is all that's holding 
the spring to the car now and I'm about to start applying lethal force, 
just wanted to check first....

Thanks,

Art
TS64989LO

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:33:02 -0500

Yup, that's pretty much it.  Have not heard of any failures or availability
of upgraded hardnesses for that piece.  Moss & TRF think it is worth about
$20, so it must be good!

If everything is clean and tight, it is mostly 'shear' stress that it must
endure.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Art McEwen
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3A rear spring "fulcrum" bolt

Is there really nothing but rust holding that odd triangular shaped head of
that bolt against the frame?  That front bolt is all that's holding the
spring to the car now and I'm about to start applying lethal force, just
wanted to check first....

Thanks,

Art
TS64989LO

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:49:51 -0400

Nothing but rust perhaps, but that's the most dreaded bolt on the
TR3..........

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 5:01 PM

Thanks,

Art
TS64989LO

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:26:01 -0700

Worth noting, perhaps, that the head of the pin is tapped for a puller.  I
used a bottoming tap to clean out the tapped hole, then some hardened
threaded rod, nuts & 'setup' washers from MMC plus sockets and a bit of pipe
to form a makeshift puller.

Worked for me, on two different cars now.  I also soaked the area in PB
Blaster for several weeks, and beat on things from time to time to help the
PBB penetrate.

-- Randall

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 08:40:45 -0700

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Worth noting, perhaps, that the head of the pin is tapped for a puller...
>

I'm (sometimes) a 'plan-ahead' guy -- I  cleaned that head out with a tap
and have been soaking the area with PBlaster every time I'm under there for
the past year or so.  Will continue until such time as I need to remove it.

The 'long-game' approach worked on the cap tube/tstat housing which came
undone easily after years of soaking.

I wonder what else I should be doing this to.

Geo

---

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:57:08 -0400

Thanks all,  I'm chasing a banging noise in the rear and I thought maybe 
the front silent block was perished and allowing the spring to move 
around on the bolt but it's not that bad so I'm just bolting everything 
back up.  I think what I'll do over the winter is construct a vice to 
apply inward pressure to the bolt and maybe tighten it every couple of 
weeks to see if that removes it.    I think the noise is the result of 
the shocks sliding on their mounting bracket holes which have become 
more slots then holes.

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 16:33:02 -0500

Bill

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,

Art
TS64989LO

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:49:51 -0400

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,

Art
TS64989LO

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:26:01 -0700

-- Randall

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 08:40:45 -0700

Geo

---

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:57:08 -0400