Subject: [TR] Silver-painted TR3A/B oil filler caps -- any details regarding shade?

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:09:01 -0500

The original oil filler cap on my TR3B was silver.  After twenty years in a
barn as the restoration got parked the remnants of silver (and some red
overspray from who knows what it its past life) are hard to see, let
alone match to something.

My cap pre-restoration
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q75msdV/0/XL/i-Q75msdV-XL.jpg

As this gets repainted and put it back in service I'd like to shoot it
silver rather than the more common (and easier to match!) black.  I
happen to have a rattle can here of Eastwood Detail Silver used to
restore an old wire wheel as a spare.  This color was suggested by
Allen Hendrix to match the new MWS wires now on the car and it's a
pretty good match on the wheels, especially after shooting a clearcoat
on it.  There are surely a few other silver filler caps out there from
this period -- on TRs or other Standard Triumph products like Heralds,
IIRC.  If anyone on the list has an original silver oil filler cap,
I'd appreciate any comments about how close the oil filler silver is
to wheel silver or another reference.

The restored wheel up close to see the finish with Eastwood Detail Silver
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-MrMTKBd/0/XL/i-MrMTKBd-XL.jpg

Restored 48 spoke against new 60 spoke
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-trK5XHx/0/XL/i-trK5XHx-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]