Subject: [TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:55:20 -0400

List,

I'm finally able to put my transmission back in the car (1975 TR-6) 
after several months of resealing and too hot to drive it anyway. There 
are two 1/2" bolts that fasten the transmission end housing to the 
mounting bracket.  The RH bolt, which is 1/4" longer than the LH, also 
holds the "steady bracket" for the gearshift extension, and has a spacer 
on it.  This bolt also calls for a jam nut instead of a regular bolt.

When I took all this apart, I don't recall seeing a spacer, and it's not 
in my bolt bag.  This had been out at least once or twice before, so it 
may have got lost.  I can't find any dimensions for the spacer.

So, two questions:

1.  How thick should it be?  It's easy for me to make one, if I know 
what size.

2.  How important is it, anyway?  There must be some clearance issues, 
since the jam nut is in there too, but I don't want to wait until it's 
back in the car to find out I need to fiddle and fettle to make it fit 
right.

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:47:04 -0600

Jeff,

That's the same part as is used on the TR4 and TR4A.  The spacer fits 
between the bottom of the steady bracket (nice term for it) and the top of 
the gearbox extension.  The only purpose I can see is to take up the space 
between the steady bracket and the gearbox.  I have that greasy bit 
somewhere in the garage, which I can find and measure, but I think you would 
be just fine using washer(s) of appropriate thickness.

Have no idea about the jam nut.  There's plenty of space there on the TR4, 
relatively speaking.

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jeff
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 6:55 PM
To: *Triumphs List
Subject: [TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

List,

So, two questions:

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:47:04 -0600

Jeff,

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jeff
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 6:55 PM
To: *Triumphs List
Subject: [TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

List,

So, two questions:

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.