Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A rear spring "fulcrum" bolt -- rear shock mount

From: John Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:38:14 -0400

I had a similar banging noise on my TR3 caused by a loose rear shock that I
couldn't tighten sufficiently.  ISTR it was difficult to get a wrench or
socket on the fastener on the outboard shock side.  I replaced the hex head
bolts with socket head bolts -- the kind that take a hex key or allen wrench
in the head.  I put the bolt in with the socket head on the outboard side and
a nyloc nut on the inboard side of the bracket.  This allowed me to get a good
grip on the bolt so I could torque it down enough to keep it tight.  I did
that around 14 years ago and haven't had a problem with it since.

> Thanks all,  I'm chasing a banging noise in the rear ...
> ...I think the noise is the result of
> the shocks sliding on their mounting bracket holes which have become
> more slots then holes.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:38:14 -0400