Subject: [TR] Clutch shaft questions

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:05:23 -0400

Some time back, I read (in several places) about using a TR3 clutch 
shaft in a TR6 to gain the advantage of greasable bushings.  Sounded 
like a good idea...  Here's the page from Buckeye Triumphs about the 
swap: 
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ClutchShaft/ClutchShaft.htm

"The earlier shaft can be used without the locating bolt in the TR250 
and TR6 to provide a means to grease the bushes."

So, I changed the shaft.  And then I put the transmission in the car.  
So far, so good.  But, when I went to hook up the slave cylinder, the 
push rod would not align.  It's offset by the width of the yoke.  It 
fits perfectly if it's pinned to the side of the lever instead of over it.

Anybody done this switch, that can advise me where I went wrong?  (Other 
than believing something I read on teh Interwebs, anyway)

I still have the old shaft, and it's in good shape.  Barring any other 
advice, I'll slip the transmission back and replace the new shaft with 
the old one.  *sigh*  I'd rather be driving...

Also, while reading up on this, I discovered there's supposed to be a 
spring on the shaft?  Important?  Magic?  Will any simple spring do?

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]