Subject: [TR] Heat insulation material - installation

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:49:30 -0400

Hello List:
Just picked up some of the foil backed heat insulation to finish off the 
interior of my '2 project. The material is felt backed by a shiny 
aluminum foil. First and obvious question is which side goes "down". I 
have seen many cars with the insulation installed both ways, the foil 
side up - away from the heat source and others with the felt side toward 
the heat source. Having the foil side up makes for easier carpet 
installation as it is easier to glue on this surface.
Any thoughts or experiences on this one?
What about the floor pans? Should they be covered as well? Intend to 
cover the inside of the firewall, the trans tunnel. Any other areas that 
need attention? The '2 tends to have a bit hotter cockpit, as it does 
not have a scuttle vent.
Thanks for any help.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:03:03 -0400

Putting the foil towards the heat source prevents the felt from getting 
toasty.

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 9/27/2012 10:49 AM, Angelo Graham wrote:
> Hello List:
> Just picked up some of the foil backed heat insulation to finish off 
> the interior of my '2 project. The material is felt backed by a shiny 
> side up - away from the heat source and others with the felt side 
> toward the heat source. Having the foil side up makes for easier 
> carpet installation as it is easier to glue on this surface.
> cover the inside of the firewall, the trans tunnel. Any other areas 
> that need attention? The '2 tends to have a bit hotter cockpit, as it 
> does not have a scuttle vent.
> Thanks for any help.
> Angelo Graham
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 01:47:36 -0700

Putting it on the floor pans will definitely help with heat.  

However, mine isn't glued down, so I can pull it out when the carpet gets
wet.

I'm not convinced that it makes any difference at all, but mine is felt side
down on the theory that the foil on top will help trap air inside the felt,
which might possibly increase the R-value by some miniscule amount.

> The '2 tends to have a bit hotter cockpit, as it does 
> not have a scuttle vent.

Does anyone feel like the scuttle vent actually does anything?  I've never
been able to tell the difference.

-- Randall

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:22:23 -0600

When I've done long trips on hot summer days I've found the scuttle  
vent provides a lot of hot air so I shut it off. The design is such on  
a TR6 that it collects heat from the hot firewall and shoots it right  
into the cockpit. Not what you want when it's 104 degrees like trips  
to VTR99 in Portland Maine, and VTR2000 in Portland Oregon.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:03:03 -0400

George Richardson

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 01:47:36 -0700

-- Randall

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:22:23 -0600

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)