Subject: [TR] control head "roller" and electrics

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:50:38 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all who responded to the control head "roller" quest.  Daydreaming
before falling to sleep last night I remembered cleaning out the control head
with solvent and a toothbrush........dumping the remains into a coffee can. 
Today revisited the folgers can........dumped it and combed through the muck
found the little "roller".  OMG.........smaller than a Pea.  One of those
miracle days!

But still having trouble getting lights to work...........nada
on tail or headlights.  (59 tr-3)   Have re-checked all the dash switch
connections and they seem in order but a strange thing happens.  I can turn on
the ignition switch and hit the starter and it turns starter as well as turns
on the ignition warning light.  After several times of switching on and
off.............everything goes dead.  no ignition warning light and no
starter response................... although the starter does turn from the
solenoid on the firewall.  

Motor will start and run...........but have no
response with any of the other accessories such as head lights.....tail
lights........wipers ect.  Am wondering about control box.  Have to admit
complete idiocy in the electrical area.LOL

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:16:11 -0400

> found the little "roller".  OMG.........smaller than a Pea.  One of those

I know. I went to look for one in my spare parts and had trouble not
loosing it on the floor.
> on the ignition warning light.

That sounds normal as the generator has not yet begun to produce power.

 After several times of switching on and
> solenoid on the firewall.

The power source for the lighting goes through the ammeter. I have seen
where the ammeters fail and produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:42:04 -0400

Sounds like multiple poor connections to me, and possibly some mis-wiring as well.

> I can turn on

The warning light should come on immediately after turning on the key, not wait until you hit the starter button.  That's an easy one to work on, so I would probably solve that first.  (The problem(s) you find may affect the other issues.)  When the key is first turned on, one side of the light gets 12v from the ignition (white wire from ignition switch), while the other side is grounded through the generator (yellow wire from terminal D on the control box).  Get out your test light or DMM and see which of those voltages is wrong.

> solenoid on the firewall.  

Bad connection somewhere, obviously.  Get to that state, then start probing along the circuit to the ignition switch.  I would probably start at the two brown wires on the fuse block (which should both have 12v on them).  Then the brown/white at terminal A on the control box, and brown/blue at terminal A1.  If the NU wire has 12v but still no joy at the dash, then move under the dash and check out the two NU wires on the headlight switch.

>  Am wondering about control box. 

Although it may have problems as well, it should not affect any of the problems above.

--- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:16:11 -0400

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:42:04 -0400

--- Randall