Subject: Re: [TR] One last question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:18:07 -0400 (EDT)

If you have a known good IR thermometer, that will work, but I have had 2  
IR thermometers disagree by more than that. I don't trust the cheap ones  
anymore.
 
Cheers,
Jack Mc

 
In a message dated 9/16/2012 1:11:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I use an  infrared thermometer, if the temp gauge says 200 and the IR 
thermometer  says 180, I tend to believe the  IR.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:35:19 -0700

> IR thermometers disagree by more than that. I don't trust the 

All IR thermometers are inherently inaccurate, if you don't know the
emissivity of the surface you point them at.  (To get an accurate reading,
it has to be compensated for emissivity.)  And weathered aluminum has an
unusually wide range of emissivity.  I can see 20F or more change in
reading, just by moving the spot by 1/4" or so; which I do not believe is
the unit's fault.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:35:19 -0700

-- Randall