Subject: [TR] Troubleshooting HS6 Carb Issue

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:02:46 -0400

I've got a new (to me at least) problem and I'm wondering if anyone has
experienced it.  After sitting over last winter my TR4A with HS6 carbs was
running badly.  It was stored with Sta-Bil in the gas, but after some
troubleshooting I determined it was running lean and what fixed it was
shooting some carb cleaner down the jet tube from the carb throat.  I
didn't think much of it after a winter of storage, but now for the third
time this season I've had to do the same thing after not driving the car
for 10-14 days.  I generally drive the car pretty regularly, putting 1-2000
miles on it this year,but I was travelling for a week and then we've had
rain (southern Indiana).  There's about 5000 miles on the car since
finishing restoration.  Everything is stock, including the float valves (no
Grose jets).  I do use lead substitute in the fuel (no hardened valve seats
installed and, yes, I regret that).  The fuel tank was cleaned and sealed
during the restoration and there's a fuel filter on the pump outlet side.
 I pulled the top off the float bowls while troubleshooting and found
nothing unusual.

I can now pull the top off the carb, remove the dashpot and shoot carb
cleaner down the jet in less than 5 minutes, but I'd like to avoid this.
 I've never experienced this before, and I don't know whether to blame it
on reformulated gas or what.  Each time after shooting the carb cleaner its
back to running perfectly.  I'm planning to disassemble the carbs and check
things out over the winter, but I'm wondering if if anyone's experienced
this before.  I'm hoping to find some explanation.

Thanks, Ben Zwissler
Columbus, IN
[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:13:30 -0500

Ben,

Please define "running badly". 

Is missing?  Real sluggish? Will rev through the RPM range?  Have you
drained and re-filled the gas tank with fresh fuel?  Have you lifted and
released the piston/slide to be sure it is travelling all the way up and
down, with an audible 'clunk' when it hits bottom?  Once you start and run,
how long until is goes back to 'running badly'?

Inquiring minds need to know,
All the best,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Benjamin Zwissler
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 9:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Troubleshooting HS6 Carb Issue

I've got a new (to me at least) problem and I'm wondering if anyone has
experienced it.  After sitting over last winter my TR4A with HS6 carbs was
running badly.  It was stored with Sta-Bil in the gas, but after some
troubleshooting I determined it was running lean and what fixed it was
shooting some carb cleaner down the jet tube from the carb throat.  I didn't
think much of it after a winter of storage, but now for the third time this
season I've had to do the same thing after not driving the car for 10-14
days.  I generally drive the car pretty regularly, putting 1-2000 miles on
it this year,but I was travelling for a week and then we've had rain
(southern Indiana).  There's about 5000 miles on the car since finishing
restoration.  Everything is stock, including the float valves (no Grose
jets).  I do use lead substitute in the fuel (no hardened valve seats
installed and, yes, I regret that).  The fuel tank was cleaned and sealed
during the restoration and there's a fuel filter on the pump outlet side.
 I pulled the top off the float bowls while troubleshooting and found
nothing unusual.

I can now pull the top off the carb, remove the dashpot and shoot carb
cleaner down the jet in less than 5 minutes, but I'd like to avoid this.
 I've never experienced this before, and I don't know whether to blame it on
reformulated gas or what.  Each time after shooting the carb cleaner its
back to running perfectly.  I'm planning to disassemble the carbs and check
things out over the winter, but I'm wondering if if anyone's experienced
this before.  I'm hoping to find some explanation.

Thanks, Ben Zwissler
Columbus, IN
[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:06:05 -0400

Symptoms are:  Low power, missing, backfiring if you try to accelerate too
hard.  Won't drive at any speed without symptoms, will idle OK.
 Troubleshot ignition and fuel system the first time it happened until carb
cleaner through jet solved it.  Since then each time it occurs the carb
cleaner in the jet solves it immediately.  Scenario is:  Works fine, leave
it sit for a week or ten days, immediately has the problem on starting.
After it happened following sitting over the winter its happened twice when
left for shorter time in summer.  Had a "mild" case a 3rd time, but that
cleared itself with a little driving.  Had the problem on several different
tanks of fuel - each occurrence is separated by several hundred miles of
travel.  Carb pistons travel freely. Good spark and timing is OK.

Ben.....

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Wbeech <[email-masked]> wrote:

> didn't
> on

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:13:30 -0500

Ben,

Bill Beecher

-----Original Message-----

Thanks, Ben Zwissler
Columbus, IN
[email-masked]

---

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:06:05 -0400

Ben.....