Subject: [TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:55:20 -0400

List,

I'm finally able to put my transmission back in the car (1975 TR-6) 
after several months of resealing and too hot to drive it anyway. There 
are two 1/2" bolts that fasten the transmission end housing to the 
mounting bracket.  The RH bolt, which is 1/4" longer than the LH, also 
holds the "steady bracket" for the gearshift extension, and has a spacer 
on it.  This bolt also calls for a jam nut instead of a regular bolt.

When I took all this apart, I don't recall seeing a spacer, and it's not 
in my bolt bag.  This had been out at least once or twice before, so it 
may have got lost.  I can't find any dimensions for the spacer.

So, two questions:

1.  How thick should it be?  It's easy for me to make one, if I know 
what size.

2.  How important is it, anyway?  There must be some clearance issues, 
since the jam nut is in there too, but I don't want to wait until it's 
back in the car to find out I need to fiddle and fettle to make it fit 
right.

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]