Subject: [TR] Silver-painted TR3A/B oil filler caps -- any details regarding shade?

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:09:01 -0500

The original oil filler cap on my TR3B was silver.  After twenty years in a
barn as the restoration got parked the remnants of silver (and some red
overspray from who knows what it its past life) are hard to see, let
alone match to something.

My cap pre-restoration
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q75msdV/0/XL/i-Q75msdV-XL.jpg

As this gets repainted and put it back in service I'd like to shoot it
silver rather than the more common (and easier to match!) black.  I
happen to have a rattle can here of Eastwood Detail Silver used to
restore an old wire wheel as a spare.  This color was suggested by
Allen Hendrix to match the new MWS wires now on the car and it's a
pretty good match on the wheels, especially after shooting a clearcoat
on it.  There are surely a few other silver filler caps out there from
this period -- on TRs or other Standard Triumph products like Heralds,
IIRC.  If anyone on the list has an original silver oil filler cap,
I'd appreciate any comments about how close the oil filler silver is
to wheel silver or another reference.

The restored wheel up close to see the finish with Eastwood Detail Silver
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-MrMTKBd/0/XL/i-MrMTKBd-XL.jpg

Restored 48 spoke against new 60 spoke
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-trK5XHx/0/XL/i-trK5XHx-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 02:51:53 -0700

> alone match to something.
My guess would be silver hammerite.  It was commonly used throughout the 
British car industry where they wanted a tough oil and rust resistant 
finish.

TeriAnn

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 06:36:10 -0700

Is Hammerite generally available (e.g. Ace, Home Depot)?

Also -- does someone know the approximate change point from 'plain' to
'dimpled' caps?

Geo

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Don Hiscock <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The original oil filler cap on my TR3B was silver...

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:38:17 -0700

> Is Hammerite generally available (e.g. Ace, Home Depot)?

Rustoleum has hammered-finished paints now.

-Darrell

-- 
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 09:01:23 -0700

On 9/7/12 7:33 AM, Don Hiscock wrote:
> Thanks, TeriAnn --

OK, I just looked the cap up in the TRA concourse judging guide to be sure.

"The early and late caps are similar in appearance. Both are domed with 
mesh breather filters in the bottom. The
early cap has a flat top profile; the late cap profile has 3 thumb 
grips, and a round, domed, profile. Early caps are
black. Late caps are found painted black or hammer-tone (specific color 
unknown) gray.

Decal.

A decal is fitted to the oil filler cap tops. Two basic styles of decals 
are used. The early decal is divided in
a pattern of concentric circles. Later a pie pattern decal was used. The 
following variations are known:
TR2/3 -- Large concentric circle decal, black with white markings.
TR3A -- Large pie-pattern decal, black with white markings.
TR3A -- Little concentric circle decal, black with white markings fits 
caps with thumb-holes.
TR3A/3B -- Little pie-pattern decal fits the caps with thumb-holes.
TR3B -- Little pie-pattern decal, Red with white markings (only observed 
on some TR3Bs with
hammertone caps)."

There is a hammerite gray which is a darker gray.  Hammerite silver is 
more of a gray silver.  Check with the remaining paint bits on your 
cap.  It it looks at all like a silvery gray go with the hammerite 
silver.  If you guess wrong you can always buy another can & respray.

I get my Hammerite paint from my local ACE hardware.  One had it in 
stock on the shelf, the other didn't stock it but made a special order 
for me.

TeriAnn

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 02:51:53 -0700

TeriAnn

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 06:36:10 -0700

Geo

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:38:17 -0700

-Darrell

-- 
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 09:01:23 -0700

Decal.

TeriAnn