Subject: [TR] charging sytem

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:07:22 -0500

Hi All,

About a week ago I replaced my battery that was about 7 years old - I 
figured it had served long enough.  It was an inexpensive battery to 
start with.

I replaced it in part because my voltmeter was reading low and the tach 
and overdrive would quit working at times.  In the back of my mind I new 
it probably was more than the battery even though it happened mainly at 
lower speeds.

Well the voltmeter is still reading between 12 and 13 (both gauge and 
VOM).  So I put a new alternator on it.  Well, it is still reading about 
12 volts.

I did clean the battery terminals.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next?

Thanks
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:25:09 -0500

New question:  is there a coating somewhere on the alternator that would 
prevent it from operating until it is worn off?

I just checked again and now with the brights on and the heater fan on 
high the gauge in the car is reading over 13 and a reading between the 
alternator and the battery is 14.2 at just above idle.

So I guess it is working.

Roger
> VOM).  So I put a new alternator on it.  Well, it is still reading 
> about 12 volts.
>

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:32:22 -0400

Check to make sure that the body is well grounded. There is often a bonding
strap that connects the engine block to the body. Those straps often
disintegrate with age. Also, look for voltage drops along the insulated
circuit that feeds all of the accessories. With heater fan on, lights on,
and anything else that can be turned on, there should be no more than about
0.2 volts drop from the insulated battery post to each of the accessory
items.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] charging sytem

Hi All,

About a week ago I replaced my battery that was about 7 years old - I
figured it had served long enough.  It was an inexpensive battery to start
with.

I replaced it in part because my voltmeter was reading low and the tach and
overdrive would quit working at times.  In the back of my mind I new it
probably was more than the battery even though it happened mainly at lower
speeds.

Well the voltmeter is still reading between 12 and 13 (both gauge and VOM).
So I put a new alternator on it.  Well, it is still reading about
12 volts.

Thanks
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:25:24 -0500

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Roger Elliott
On 09/04/2012 08:32 PM, Alex & Janet Thomson wrote:
> Check to make sure that the body is well grounded. ...
>
> Alex Thomson
>

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:25:09 -0500

Roger

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:32:22 -0400

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----

Hi All,

Thanks
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:25:24 -0500

Roger Elliott