Subject: [TR] Hope Springs Comments

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 06:31:39 -0700 (PDT)

I took my wife to dinner and a movie last night. We saw "Hope Springs".
The movie draws middle aged couples because of the plot about an older married
couple in marriage counseling. I parked my TR3 directly in front of the
theater just because. Anyway, my wife was late (as always) and there was a
steady stream of mid-50's & 60's guys looking at my car and asking questions
while their wives rolled their eyes. Every one of them had a TR or MG story
about their youth. One guy gave me a card and asked if he can buy my car if I
ever sell it (sorry Charlie, no way). I love driving an old TR.

     Bill in
Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Carl TR <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:27:18 -0500 (CDT)

Well said.  Thank you.
Carl

On 09/26/12, TeriAnn J. Wakeman wrote:

On 9/26/12 6:31 AM, William Brewer wrote:
> Every one of them had a TR or MG story
I few weeks ago my red TR3A was at the Flagstaff Route 66 car show. It 
was parked next to a red 1957 Corvette. After checking out the other 
cars in the show I mostly hung out by my car as did the owner of the 
'Vette. Both of us occasionally let enthusiastic folks sit behind the 
wheel so they could get their picture taken. What was interesting was 
what people said.

My TR3 was the source of many people's past. Stories of high school and 
college days. Of the fun and good times had by previous British sports 
car owners, many of which sold their cars when a first child arrived. 
My car was the stuff of remembered good times. Though I expect some 
memories were a bit shinier and burned brighter than the actual 
realities. It was also the stuff of longing for a simpler and maybe 
happier past as many people said they would like to get another one.

The Corvette was the stuff of unrealized dreams. Of something bright 
shiny and powerful they lusted for in high school and college but could 
never afford in the days before family and "responsibilities" took their 
tolls on their lusts and dreams. Whereas many people told stories of 
past involvements with TRs almost no one mentioned a past involvement 
with the 'Vette. Just always wanting one and it being out of their reach.

Most car show visitors just walked past most of the cars on display. 
Maybe stopping to look in the engine bay and interior before moving on 
the next of 400 and something cars lining the streets of down town 
Flagstaff. But when they got to our pair of two seater sports cars a 
constant stream of people had to stop and relate stories of dreams and 
past experiences. Both cars were symbols of people's past, their car 
lusts and dreams.

We noticed that the bigger corvette was of more interest to teenagers 
old enough to drive and the much smaller TR3 attracted the most pre 
teens. I think largely because it was so different than most of the 
cars at the show and it was closer to their size. it seemed easier for 
them to relate to a much smaller car. There were a lot of pictures 
taken of pre teens sitting behind the wheel of my TR3 with one hand on 
the steering wheel and an elbow resting on the door.

Noticeably more pictures were taken of people standing in front of the 
TR than in front of the Vette. We both concluded that my car was the 
stuff of memories though probably mostly idealized memories and 
fantasies . His 57 Corvette was mostly the stuff of unreached fantasy. 
Of dreams unobtained.

When the show was over I think both of us went home in the glow of 
knowing that our realities were the stuff of so many other people's 
dreams. Oil spots and all.

TeriAnn

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]