Subject: [TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:25:49 -0700 (PDT)

I need to add/change the coolant in my  TR3. I remember years ago I used
something that I bought at a Toyota dealer ISTR. It may have been called
"No-Rosian" or something like that. What are the best coolants to use in a TR
to minimize rust build-up in the block? I don't want to use Prestone or
Autozone cheapie if there is something good out there.
     TIA,

     Bill in
Tehachapi   

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:01:13 -0500

I've used the Evans.  It works well, but use the thinner "racing" coolant.  The thicker type works well, but runs ten degrees warmer for some reason.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Don Hiscock" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Triumphs" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant
Date: Sat, Sep 22, 2012 13:14

My mechanics for my 2001 Tacoma and 2008 RX350 swear by the Toyota red
coolant for Toyotas -- they think it lasts longer, protects parts better,
and don't use the standard brands they'll use anywhere else in a Toyota.  A
voice of experience -- the guys at Len's Automotive here in STL are the
best I've ever had work on a car.

The September 2012 issue of TR Action has a full page ad for Evans
waterless engine coolants.
in the UK link from the ad: http://wwwe.evanscoolants.co.uk/products.html
and the US--based home office here:
http://www.evanscooling.com/about-us/company-background/

The FAQ on the site is quite informative, eh?

Q. What is Evans Waterless Coolant made of?

A. Evans Waterless Coolants are patented synthetic non-toxic liquids
blended with a non-aqueous proprietary inhibitor package.

Jay Leno talks about it here:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-care/waterless-engine-coolant/index.
shtml

The 0 psi boiling point is 3750 F (1900 C).  They're promoted as "lifetime"
cooling system fluids.

I guess I'm kind of out of touch these days -- I don't know this company's
products.  Advanced racing cars (like F1) don't use water in their cooling
systems as far as I know.  And a chemist, this makes perfect sense.  Water
is an incredibly aggressive solvent -- because we're water-based we don't
really think about it -- even though it does have good heat-carrying
capacity.  Not at all surprising that non-aqueous fluid heat transfer
agents would be available.

Anyone have any experience?

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Fred Thomas was an advocate of No-Rosion:
> >
> > http://www.no-rosion.com
> >
> > I've used it in my TR4A for several years, and it seems to be
> > doing the job.
>
> It does seem to work, if you follow their maintenance schedule.
>  Personally,
> I prefer Zerex G-05 or Prestone "Extended Life" that you only have to mess
> with every 5 years instead of every year.
>
> Hopefully, I've finally built a cooling system in my TR that will go that
> long without attention.
>
> -- Randall
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]