Subject: Re: [TR] charging sytem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:09:30 -0400 (EDT)

The big brown wire from the alternator plugs into the battery cable along 
with some other brown wires.  These other wires feed the electrical system.  
After 32 years these contacts can get a bit corroded and stop conducting 
electricity.  If the alternator wire stops making good contact your battery 
will not charge even if the alternator is good.  

Unplug and replug these wires to clean off the terminals.  Apply some 
dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion.  Easy stuff.

Dave

In a message dated 9/4/2012 9:21:56 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> New question:  is there a coating somewhere on the alternator that would 
> prevent it from operating until it is worn off?
> 
> I just checked again and now with the brights on and the heater fan on 
> high the gauge in the car is reading over 13 and a reading between the 
> alternator and the battery is 14.2 at just above idle.
> 
> So I guess it is working.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]