Subject: Re: [TR] Rostyle Wheels

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 19:37:51 -0500

ISTR a lot of traffic on the list a number of months back about Rostyle
wheels.  I mostly ignored it not looking to replace the new wires on the
TR3.
 
Now, a friend with a 1980 MGB has indicated he is thinking of replacing his
factory Rostyles with some new chrome wires.  So I thought of the list and
herewith are a couple of questions:
 
1. Will 14" MBG wheels fit on some TR models?
2. Is there really someone out there looking to acquire a nice set of
originals, he bought this car new.
 
If there is a deal to be brokered, I am happy to be in the middle as a
non-profit participant.
 
NFI,
Bill

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:42:39 -0600

> 1. Will 14" MBG [sic]  wheels fit on some TR models?

There are brake clearance issues.

mjb.

---

From: "Greg Gelhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:10:34 -0500

Can I get a Heritage Certificate for a TR3B if I only have an engine number? 
I am wanting to know the commission number. The car was titled by the engine 
number. How many states did that?

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:26:32 -0700

As I recall, yes -- but it costs a bit extra.

Geo

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Greg Gelhar <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can I get a Heritage Certificate for a TR3B if I only have an engine
> number? I am wanting to know the commission number. The car was titled by
> the engine number. How many states did that?
>
> Greg G.
> Osseo, MN
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:01:45 -0700

> The car was 
> titled by the engine 

I believe it was somewhat hit and miss.  Anyway, my 56 TR3 was originally
registered in CA by the engine number.  I had it changed to the commission
number when I got it transferred to my name.

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:03:58 -0700

> 1. Will 14" MBG wheels fit on some TR models?

I believe they will fit on Stags and maybe some of the 2000/2.5 models that
came originally with 14" wheels.

But I'm not interested.

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:20:40 -0500

The car was titled by the engine number. How many states did that?

I believe all states titled cars by VIN number or car number, but in the 
actual titling process (I assume) they grabbed the first number they could 
find off the car or made a best guess as to which was the car or VIN number. 
My old Austin Healey 100 was titled in the body number, which was much 
easier to find on the back of the firewall than the VIN plate riveted to the 
frame below the engine.

Greg Lemon
68 Triumph TR250

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 06:49:46 -0400

My 57 TR3 is titled by the engine number. Good thing it's still 
original. :-)

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 9/8/2012 12:20 AM, Greg Lemon wrote:
> I believe all states titled cars by VIN number or car number, but in 
> the actual titling process (I assume) they grabbed the first number 
> they could find off the car or made a best guess as to which was the 
> car or VIN number. My old Austin Healey 100 was titled in the body 
> number, which was much easier to find on the back of the firewall than 
> the VIN plate riveted to the frame below the engine.
>
> Greg Lemon
> 68 Triumph TR250
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 04:18:13 -0700

> My 57 TR3 is titled by the engine number. Good thing it's still 
Once upon a time, there was a person who owned a Triumph wrecking yard 
who decided to have his employees build up a nice TR3 from parts in the 
yard.  This was a project to fill in otherwise employee idle time.  The 
car got built up, sent off to a body shop, painted black and when it 
came back they put a new interior kit in it (Red if I remember this 
fable correctly).  The owner built the car out of assorted TR3 parts to 
sell and wanted to present it as an original car that was freshly 
restored. He decided that the engine & car should have matching numbers 
to show originality.  So he bought a new commission plate and stamped it 
with the engine number.  Until now it was the only car I know of that 
had a commission number that ended in an 'E'.   ( TSXXXXXE)  When the 
car was finished, it was entered into the Palo Alto British Car show and 
won a people's choice award then was sold for a princely sum.  Hopefully 
the newly born TR3 lived happily ever since.

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:33:40 -0500

Don't know about the "E" but ISTR a TR3 on eBay some years back that boasted
'matching numbers'.  I just figured some guy put a new VIN plate on and
matched up to the engine to show originality and try increase the value of
his car. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Heritage Certificate

> My 57 TR3 is titled by the engine number. Good thing it's still 
Once upon a time, there was a person who owned a Triumph wrecking yard who
decided to have his employees build up a nice TR3 from parts in the yard.
This was a project to fill in otherwise employee idle time.  The car got
built up, sent off to a body shop, painted black and when it came back they
put a new interior kit in it (Red if I remember this fable correctly).  The
owner built the car out of assorted TR3 parts to sell and wanted to present
it as an original car that was freshly restored. He decided that the engine
& car should have matching numbers to show originality.  So he bought a new
commission plate and stamped it with the engine number.  Until now it was
the only car I know of that 
had a commission number that ended in an 'E'.   ( TSXXXXXE)  When the 
car was finished, it was entered into the Palo Alto British Car show and won
a people's choice award then was sold for a princely sum.  Hopefully the
newly born TR3 lived happily ever since.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:42:39 -0600

mjb.

---

From: "Greg Gelhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:10:34 -0500

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:26:32 -0700

Geo

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:01:45 -0700

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 21:03:58 -0700

But I'm not interested.

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:20:40 -0500

Greg Lemon
68 Triumph TR250

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 06:49:46 -0400

George Richardson

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 04:18:13 -0700

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:33:40 -0500