Subject: [TR] TR4, Fuel pump,and Flagstaff

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:27:57 -0700

Hello list

Here we are at 10,000 feet in Leadville, CO, enroute to Triumphest.
Coincidental with changing the jets on the Webers and retuning for the
altitude, the mechanical pump quit. The pin holding the lever in place
backed out, and worse, the lever fell into the crankcase! This happened
while driving to find tools to remove the pump ( I took the "opportunity"
to install an electric pump) , so no immediate damage to anything.
My question: is there a risk in driving with the lever in the oil pan? I
presume it fell to the bottom and is now safely held down in the oil. There
is a baffle in the pan, but I don't remember if it is forward or rear. If
at the rear, could it be a problem as the lever may be lying that much
closer to the crank? Is there something I'm not considering?

Re Flagstaff, can someone there recommend a shop willing to put the car on
the lift, drop the pan, fish out the lever, and reinstall? So I ( and my
wife) can drive stress free in the events?

Many thanks for your help

John Howard

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:51:29 -0700

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Lee&John Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...the lever fell into the crankcase!... I
> closer to the crank?

>From that recent generous offer of a free oil pan, this link shows what
you're dealing with:

http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/read.php?5,841402,841402#msg-841402

Given the size of the lever and recalling how closely the pickup screen
fits thru that opening, I'd be concerned that the lever is laying on top of
the splash guard.

I'd be inclined to drop the pan and get it out.

Geo

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:54:43 -0700

> wife) can drive stress free in the events?
I haven't tried them, but Brock Murphy at European Motor Company says he 
can work on Triumphs
928-214-7113
[email-masked]

I've had some Land Rover work done at Seven Day auto Service 
(928-774-0808). I've found them to be good and quick.  There is nothing 
special about dropping an oil pan.

Or if you don't mind laying on your back on a cement floor, I have a 
floor jack, jack stands and tools.  But I do not have a spare pan gasket.

If you want you can have gaskets, oil filter or any other parts you 
think you need express mailed to my address.  Then if you plan to have 
the work done at a shop you can drop by and pick the parts up on your 
way to the shop.

TeriAnn
In Flagstaff, AZ.

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:22:33 -0700

Thanks, George, for the picture. I didn't remember where the splash guard
ran.. Yep, Gotta drop the pan.
John

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Lee&John Howard <[email-masked]>wrote:
>

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:41:08 -0700

TeriAnn - Thank you for that information. I've talked to Seven Day Auto -
the guy once had a Healy - so understands the problem. He figures way under
an hour, which is what it would take even me.  I'll have Moss ship a gasket
directly, and have an appointment there on Monday.
See you in Flagstaff!
John

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]>wrote:

> I've had some Land Rover work done at Seven Day auto Service (928-774-0808).
> I've found them to be good and quick.  There is nothing special about
> dropping an oil pan.
>
> Or if you don't mind laying on your back on a cement floor, I have a floor
> jack, jack stands and tools.  But I do not have a spare pan gasket.
>
> If you want you can have gaskets, oil filter or any other parts you think
> you need express mailed to my address.  Then if you plan to have the work
> done at a shop you can drop by and pick the parts up on your way to the
> shop.
>
> TeriAnn
> In Flagstaff, AZ.
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/leejohn7@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:51:29 -0700

you're dealing with:

Geo

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:54:43 -0700

TeriAnn
In Flagstaff, AZ.

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:22:33 -0700

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:41:08 -0700