Subject: [TR] Rotating tyres

From: Dennis Culligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:03:41 -0400

While we're talking about tires. I recently noticed some wear on the
outside edge of the 

right front tire on my '76 TR6 so I decided to rotate as I usually do, front
to rear to front.  

However, upon further inspection, I could not help but notice that both
right side tires, front 

AND rear, were decidedly more worn across the whole tire (not just the edge)
than the left 

side tires. How exactly does this happen?  The right sides are nearly shot
while the lefts look 

fine.  Tires are Vredestein Sprint Classics and have about 25,000 miles on
them. Any ideas?

Dennis Culligan, Highland NY / 1976 TR6 CF57948U      

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Rich White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:21:05 -0500

Too many two wheel turns?

Rich White Central, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF###L
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!

> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:03:41 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [TR] Rotating tyres
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:24:59 -0700

Turn left occasionally!  :)

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dennis Culligan
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:04 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Rotating tyres

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 18:27:36 -0400

---- Dennis Culligan <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> right side tires, front  AND rear, were decidedly more worn across the whole tire (not just the edge)
> than the left side tires. How exactly does this happen?  

This points up one of the reasons I am resistant to shuffling tires around.  If you had let them be, you would know without doubt which corner had a problem.  Now all you know is that either the RF or the RR has a problem, maybe both of them.

The main point of rotating tires appears to be so the tire company can sell you 4 tires at a time, rather than just one or two.

--- Randall

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:05:12 -0600

Dennis,

If you run your hand back and forth on the surface of the tire you  
should be able to feel which direction the rubber is wearing. It will  
feel different as you go back and forth over the tread width. One way  
will have an "edge" on the tread pattern and one way should be smooth.  
Having that information you may be able to figure out how the tires  
are tracking down the road (or not tracking) and why they are wearing  
the way they are. Much like cupped tires indicate bad shocks, wear  
towards the inside/outside can indicate wheel alignment issues and  
also what direction the tires are really pointing in as you roll down  
the road.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
[email-masked]

On Sep 4, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Dennis Culligan wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Rich White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:21:05 -0500

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:24:59 -0700

Joe

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 18:27:36 -0400

--- Randall

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:05:12 -0600

Dennis,

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)