Subject: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate manual

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

This question is, I think, in the same vein with those about the service  
bulletins.
 
I recently snagged a  "1977 TR7  Repair Operation Times"  booklet - an 
original British Leyland publication intended to serve as a flat  rate time 
guide for dealer service departments - interesting - IMHO  anyway
 
Does anybody have these for other models? TR6? GT6? TR8?
are they posted online anywhere?
 
Cheers,
Jack Mc  

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:52:04 -0600

> guide for dealer service departments - interesting - IMHO  anyway

Quite apart from collector value, the dealer flat-rate guides are always 
interesting to read, in part because of the outrageousness of them, but 
also to glean where the big problems were--most times were on the short 
side, but the big design bugaboos were always kept really short, because 
they knew warranty reserves were going to be depleted by them, anyway.

Still, if one was working in a dealership, there was not much hilarity 
in them.  I recall well a new Corolla that the owner had asked for an 
extra key, we cut him one, and it fit, but not perfectly--either the key 
code on the car was wrong, or there was an imperceptible burr on it, but 
the key wedged in the "start" position, and the fellow took off and 
drove about fifty miles.  This of course turned the starter into an 
unregulated generator, and it fried the starting harness (0.3 hours to 
replace by the book) which took about fifteen minutes, and a part of the 
instrument harness, which had to be replaced as a unit.  Book time for 
that was 3.0 hours.  The entire dash and its support structure had to be 
disassembled to remove the old harness and route the new one (about 
thirty major pieces).  I think it actually took me ten hours, and about 
halfway through it, the shop manager was about ready to have me 
committed because I started yelling at the top of my lungs, every time I 
hit a snag, "I wanna meet the little Japanese guy that can do this in 
three hours!"

Still and all, better than the poor GM guys across the street at the 
time, who were having so much trouble with poor design with regard to 
disassembly/assembly issues that they were averaging about 12 flat-rate 
hours a week, even though their yard was full of cars waiting for repairs.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:58:57 -0700

> are they posted online anywhere?

I have them for Stag
http://tinyurl.com/98tq3sz

and TR3
http://tinyurl.com/9t5jm32

-- Randall

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:06:25 -0700

Just click on the Stag link for the TR3 and on the TR3 link for the Stag.

Geo

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:28:14 -0700

> Just click on the Stag link for the TR3 and on the TR3 link 

D'oh !!

Ok, I'll try again:

Stag: http://tinyurl.com/9t5jm32

TR3: http://tinyurl.com/98tq3sz

-- Randall

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:46:31 -0500

I know that some of you have unlimited garage space (I'm jealous) and some 
do not.

I fall into the latter category.

I'm thinking about mounting the bicycles on either the wall or the ceiling

any recommendations or warnings?

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:45:44 -0700

> I'm thinking about mounting the bicycles on either the wall 

Mine are stored with those vinyl-coated hooks from Home Depot, screwed into
the overhead joists over in a corner.

Only problem is the Stag on jackstands in front of them, which kind of
blocks the access.

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 21:58:08 -0500

I've been very happy with the type of rack that mounts to a vertical
wall, holds either front or rear tire, and lets the bike hang like
it's "riding" the wall. I have three in my basement side-by-side with
the bikes alternating up-down-up.  This lets them hang closer together
than any other way I've found.

I got mine at REI.  They're available from lots of vendors.  Highly recommended.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On 9/8/12, Dave <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Michael Marr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:43:54 -0500

I am a sailor and. therefore, like to complicate such matters :).  I use a 
system of blocks (pulleys to the landlubber) to lift the bicycles up to the 
ceiling.  Remember to use the largest practical diameter wheel in the blocks 
that you select, because frictional forces will then be reduced.  Ideally, 
the tackle you design will be chock-a-block (ie the lower block will be 
tight against the upper block) before the handlebars hit the ceiling.  Yes, 
this is indeed the derivation of the term chock-a-block, meaning packed in 
tightly.  And, further off topic, my Dad, who was a product of the Royal 
Navy, used to complain about being "chocker" when he was fed-up - same 
derivation.  I love the English language!

Capt. Mike (Master, Gt Lakes & Inland Waters, 100 Gross Tons)

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 8:45 PM
To: "'Dave'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] somewhat off topic - bicycles and garages and triumphs

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:19:43 -0400

I remember an email that contained a link to the TR schedule of repair 
operation times.  I thought I saved the link, but now can't find it.  My 
printer was down so I didn't get a chance to print it.  Can someone please 
repost the link?
TIA
Pete
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 10:20 PM
Subject: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate manual

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:40:55 -0700

Here from my folder entitled 'The Best of Randall':

Seriously, I really have such a folder.

Geo

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:02:24 -0400

Thanks Geo and Bill.  Got it!!
Pete
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Geo Hahn
  To: Peter Ryner
  Cc: Triumphs
  Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 10:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate
manual

  Geo

---

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:02:24 -0400

The Roadster Factory sells the booklet for the TR6.

Al

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Peter Ryner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <[email-masked]>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>> options/triumphs/pryner@**verizon.net<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
>>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/triumphs/alansalvy@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:30:15 -0400

I can't find it on the TRF web site - do you know how they have it listed?

Cheers
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 21, 2012, at 6:02 PM, alan salvatore <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Donate:
http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
options/triumphs/pryner@**verizon.net<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/t
riumphs/[email-masked]>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
options/triumphs/alansalvy@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/
triumphs/[email-masked]>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:46:52 -0400

Its listed in TR6 Assembly Manual, Volume 1, page one. ( Blue Catalog)

TRF

HAC52E           TR6 REPAIR OPERATION TIMES    $3.52

Cheers,

Al
 AA17
*HAC52E* <javascript:
popcart('https://secure.zeni.net/trf/add_confirm.php?new=HAC52E',740,210,'HAC52E','1')>
*TR6 Repair Operation Times.*
28 pages, self-cover.
A/R
Published by British Leyland, 1976.  Covers the
times allotted to dealer mechanics for completing

 AA17
*HAC52E* <javascript:
popcart('https://secure.zeni.net/trf/add_confirm.php?new=HAC52E',740,210,'HAC52E','1')>
*TR6 Repair Operation Times.*
28 pages, self-cover.
A/R
Published by British Leyland, 1976.  Covers the
times allotted to dealer mechanics for completing

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Jack Mc <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >>> options/triumphs/pryner@**verizon.net<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
> >>>
> >>
> >> options/triumphs/alansalvy@**gmail.com<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
> >

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:52:04 -0600

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:58:57 -0700

I have them for Stag

and TR3

-- Randall

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:06:25 -0700

Geo

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:28:14 -0700

D'oh !!

Ok, I'll try again:

-- Randall

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:46:31 -0500

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:45:44 -0700

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 21:58:08 -0500

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

---

From: "Michael Marr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:43:54 -0500

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:19:43 -0400

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:40:55 -0700

Geo

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:02:24 -0400

----- Original Message -----
  From: Geo Hahn
  To: Peter Ryner
  Cc: Triumphs
  Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 10:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate
manual

  Geo

---

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:02:24 -0400

Al

---

From: Jack Mc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:30:15 -0400

Cheers
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

---

From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:46:52 -0400

TRF

Cheers,

Al
 AA17
*HAC52E* <javascript:

 AA17
*HAC52E* <javascript: