Subject: [TR] charging sytem

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:07:22 -0500

Hi All,

About a week ago I replaced my battery that was about 7 years old - I 
figured it had served long enough.  It was an inexpensive battery to 
start with.

I replaced it in part because my voltmeter was reading low and the tach 
and overdrive would quit working at times.  In the back of my mind I new 
it probably was more than the battery even though it happened mainly at 
lower speeds.

Well the voltmeter is still reading between 12 and 13 (both gauge and 
VOM).  So I put a new alternator on it.  Well, it is still reading about 
12 volts.

I did clean the battery terminals.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next?

Thanks
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:09:30 -0400 (EDT)

The big brown wire from the alternator plugs into the battery cable along 
with some other brown wires.  These other wires feed the electrical system.  
After 32 years these contacts can get a bit corroded and stop conducting 
electricity.  If the alternator wire stops making good contact your battery 
will not charge even if the alternator is good.  

Unplug and replug these wires to clean off the terminals.  Apply some 
dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion.  Easy stuff.

Dave

In a message dated 9/4/2012 9:21:56 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> New question:  is there a coating somewhere on the alternator that would 
> prevent it from operating until it is worn off?
> 
> I just checked again and now with the brights on and the heater fan on 
> high the gauge in the car is reading over 13 and a reading between the 
> alternator and the battery is 14.2 at just above idle.
> 
> So I guess it is working.