Subject: [TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:42:31 -0400

Hello,

I have had an original TR3 shift knob that was cracked and showing its 
age. But I liked the feel of the narrow rubber knob than the after 
market wooden knobs.

So I wanted to restore it to its original condition.

I first tried coating it with clear silicone caulking but it soon 
started to peal and look worse than the original dried out knob.

So I tried a product called Plasti Dip. It is used to coat tool handles 
for better grip.

First I sanded the old knob to smooth it out. Then I cleaned it with 
lacquer thinner to remove all grease etc.

Then I dipped it into the can of dip and then stood it up on a stick in 
a vise for 1 hour. Repeated for a final coat and I have to say it looks 
like brand new!

Feels great in the hand as I am sure the original ones did way back when.

A can of this dip was about 6.75 at Lowes.

Bob

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:33:44 -0500

Great restoration, or you could spend $20 at TRF(p/n 19045) and buy a new
one/NFI.  

I didn't have an original to restore but I really like the small black
rubber one as it is lower and the top my hand doesn't scrape the bottom of
the dash as it did with the AMCO walnut knob. 

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Labuz
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 1:43 PM
To: Triumphs List
Subject: [TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

Hello,

I have had an original TR3 shift knob that was cracked and showing its age.
But I liked the feel of the narrow rubber knob than the after market wooden
knobs.

I first tried coating it with clear silicone caulking but it soon started to
peal and look worse than the original dried out knob.

So I tried a product called Plasti Dip. It is used to coat tool handles for
better grip.

First I sanded the old knob to smooth it out. Then I cleaned it with lacquer
thinner to remove all grease etc.

Then I dipped it into the can of dip and then stood it up on a stick in a
vise for 1 hour. Repeated for a final coat and I have to say it looks like
brand new!

Bob

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:56 -0400

Bill,

Is the TRF model a soft rubber knob like the original? The photos make 
it look like it is plastic or bakelite.

Bob

---

From: "Ed Oot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:37:52 -0400

It's rubber.  An excellent reproduction of original.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Labuz" <[email-masked]>
To: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>; "Triumphs List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

> Bill,
>
> Is the TRF model a soft rubber knob like the original? The photos make it 
> look like it is plastic or bakelite.
>
> Bob
>
>> age.
>> for
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:24:41 -0400

I have what I believe is one of the original TR knobs as well as the
modern rubber version.  The two are generally the same, but different
in almost every detail.  The profile of the taper is "steeper" -- more
conical -- on the modern knob.  The size and typeface for the shift
pattern is different, too.  The modern one is definitely a harder
rubber.  The original looks more like some composition of a filler and
a rubbery binder, possibly painted black.  I've had it for 30 plus
years, given to me by one of the founders of what's now the TRA.

There may be early and late versions of the original TR2-3B knobs --
smarter folk than I will have to chime in here.

My original sits on the shelves in my shop.  The modern is on the car.
 It's plenty good enough to use, and fits a lot better than an AMCO
knob.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On 8/10/12, Ed Oot <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> I first tried coating it with clear silicone caulking but it soon started
>>>
>>> to
>>> a
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:53:28 -0700

> modern rubber version.

Any chance you could post a photo somewhere?  I'm kind of curious, as I
believe my TR3 is wearing it's original hard rubber knob.  The pattern is
worn away (I think), but it otherwise appears to be similar to the repro
that TRF was selling at VTR/TRfest.

> smarter folk than I will have to chime in here.

The SPC lists 3 different knobs (one of them being for the early 2-piece
shift lever).  Unfortunately there is no change point given for the third
knob (at least not in my copy).

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:01:00 -0400

Here are links to several photos of my NOS TR3 shift knob alongside the
modern TRF reproduction.  The knob with the dull finish on the left is the
modern one.
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-RZdG7PR/0/XL/i-RZdG7PR-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-HZZGffj/0/XL/i-HZZGffj-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-9WkJrD4/0/XL/i-9WkJrD4-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-Pw9zjXX/0/XL/i-Pw9zjXX-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-Pw9zjXX/0/XL/i-Pw9zjXX-XL.jpg

Here are links to photos of the original shift knob on an unrestored
long-door TR2 (TS2XXX) with fewer than 20000 miles or so.  This one seems
to have never had the shift pattern molded into the knob.
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-9MPmkpn/0/XL/i-9MPmkpn-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-9Xs45b5/0/XL/i-9Xs45b5-XL.jpg

I'm told by a member of this forum who's forgotten more about TRs than I'll
ever know that the early TR2 knobs were not threaded, but a push-on fit to
the shift lever.

Don
1962 TR3B
(which is now back in my garage, licensed and running, after almost 30
years off the road and 31 years of ownership!  Happy 50th birthday,
TSF202L!)

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:30:32 -0400

Don,

Your original is in great shape. Mine, on the other hand, was really 
bad. There is/was no evidence of a shift pattern.
But my restoration resulted in a smooth knob and looks almost brand new. 
And since I have 3 TRs with the same shift pattern, and have been 
shifting them for over 40 years, I really don't need a reminder!

Bob

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:19:30 -0500

Moss UK lists the "push-On" knob p/n 107885 for TS1-2876, of course it is
NLS.  They do sell the 2nd listed knob, p/n 109045.  Both Rimmer and Moss UK
refer to 109045 when you search 123961, that third knob that Randall alluded
to.

Such a mystery, I wonder if the third one of planned but never produced?

Bill

Bill Beecher

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Don Hiscock
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:01 AM
To: Randall
Cc: Triumphs List
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

Here are links to photos of the original shift knob on an unrestored
long-door TR2 (TS2XXX) with fewer than 20000 miles or so.  This one seems to
have never had the shift pattern molded into the knob.
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-9MPmkpn/0/XL/i-9MPmkpn-XL.jpg
http://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-9Xs45b5/0/XL/i-9Xs45b5-XL.jpg

Don
1962 TR3B
(which is now back in my garage, licensed and running, after almost 30 years
off the road and 31 years of ownership!  Happy 50th birthday,
TSF202L!)

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Any chance you could post a photo somewhere?  I'm kind of curious, as 
> I believe my TR3 is wearing it's original hard rubber knob.  The 
> pattern is worn away (I think), but it otherwise appears to be similar 
> to the repro that TRF was selling at VTR/TRfest.
>
> The SPC lists 3 different knobs (one of them being for the early 
> 2-piece shift lever).  Unfortunately there is no change point given 
> for the third knob (at least not in my copy).
>
> -- Randall
>