Subject: [TR] TR2 front wheels

From: John Gillis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:44:42 +0100

Hi all, still enjoying motoring on the now driving 15 year project, shake down
is going well with little tweaks here and there. The biggest issue is heavy
(very) slow speed steering. I had the tracking set-up on old Dunlop gauges,
but still feels a little odd and also a front end "slow wobble" at low speeds.
I put a spirit level against the wheels/tyres, one of them leans out at the
top by just under 1/2 inch, while the other is parallel top to bottom. Any
ideas??? I was wondering because I built up the suspension, with poly bushes
etc, while there was no body or engine on the chassis, could tis be an issue,
all ideas welcome, especially what I should look for.
Regards
John
(still smiling)

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:05:32 -0700

> ideas???

1/2" is about right, the other side is wrong.  You might try checking the
angle of the spring towers if you can, otherwise I don't know what to
suggest.  I'm assuming you examined the frame carefully while the body was
off and would have spotted any cracks or sharp bends (especially around the
lower suspension pivot pins), but it might be tweaked that much without
being obvious.

FWIW, twice now I've had a lower pivot that was ripped entirely loose from
the frame, but practically impossible to spot with the car assembled.  First
time, even the alignment shop didn't spot it.  Second time (years later,
different car), I found it while stripping the wreck for parts.  Most likely
it got broken in the accident, but I had driven the car after that (to the
body shop & back).

-- Randall

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:01:29 -0400

John:  some after-market ball joints have the hole for the split pin too far
out, with the result that one may not tighten the ball joint enough - but
that would lead to positive camber, not negative.  Don't know what to
suggest other than to check the two sides and make sure they are the same.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John Gillis
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 4:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR2 front wheels

Hi all, still enjoying motoring on the now driving 15 year project, shake
down is going well with little tweaks here and there. The biggest issue is
heavy
(very) slow speed steering. I had the tracking set-up on old Dunlop gauges,
but still feels a little odd and also a front end "slow wobble" at low
speeds.
I put a spirit level against the wheels/tyres, one of them leans out at the
top by just under 1/2 inch, while the other is parallel top to bottom. Any
ideas??? I was wondering because I built up the suspension, with poly bushes
etc, while there was no body or engine on the chassis, could tis be an
issue, all ideas welcome, especially what I should look for.
Regards
John
(still smiling)

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]