Subject: [TR] quality synchros currently available?

From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 00:02:22 -0400

Greetings All:

I suddenly need to source synchros for my early GT6 trans.  I reused my old
synchros last time around and set aside the new ones.  Today I began to
reassemble the trans w/ the unused synchros and they are junk ( I have no
idea where I bought them 8 years ago)!  The space between the gear and
synchro is about 0.010 or less instead of the 0.040+ gap.  For grins
I chucked up one of these poorly made synchros in my lathe and removed
about 0.030 stock from the flat surface.  Now I have the suitable gap
between gear & synchro but if the taper diameter was mis-machined, what
else will give me problems?   Are there any quality synchros currently
available - and who sells them?

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 07:58:36 -0500

The Roadster Factory claims to check theirs, and that they are higher 
quality, if you have a late GT6 they are really cheap.

http://trf.zeni.net/allsummerb/16.php?s_wt=1366&s_ht=768

As an aside when I rebuilt my tranny I used new synchro cups, I had trouble 
with 2nd gear, I ended up having a shop repair it, before I did that I took 
it apart myself and had looked at the 2nd gear synchro with a former BL 
mechanic and we agreed it was out of spec (after maybe 2500 miles).  He 
suggested I use the best of what came off before the rebuild, suggesting 
that 4th gear synchros didn't see much wear.

Anyway, that is what I had the (local, non specialist) tranny shop use in 
rebuilding the tranny, the guy thought I was crazy using the old part, 
apparently was not familiar with the sometimes poor quality of certain 
reproduction parts for old LBCs.

Greg Lemon
TR250

---

From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 09:28:48 -0700

.moss has nice and expensive ones.
On Aug 4, 2012 9:08 PM, "aribert neumann" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]