Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Clutch Hydraulics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

The TR6 was notorious for the heavy clutch.  Puts hair on your chest, they 
would say.  There are two brands of clutch available for the TR6 and one is 
heavier than the other.  I forget which (maybe someone here can fill in the 
blanks) but it sounds like your firend got the heavier one.  The first time 
I replaced the clutch in my TR6 I got lucky (or good advice perhaps it was a 
long time ago) and when I first hooked up the hydraulics and pushed the 
clutch pedal I though something was amiss.  Be verifying that the output flange 
turned free of the engine in gear with the pedal depressed proved that it 
did indeed work.

If there was something wrong with the hydraulics or the mechanical linkage 
then the pressure need to depress the clutch would be noticably greater than 
the pressure needed to resist its return upon release.  Do you notice this?

Dave

In a message dated 8/11/2012 10:11:00 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> Listers,
> A friend has a 1970 TR6 in which the clutch pedal requires an excessive 
> amount
> of force to disengage the clutch.  Considerably more force than other 
> TR6's I
> have driven and more than my TR4A.  We installed a new, stock pressure 
> plate
> last winter.
> 
> Could hydraulics be a fault?  The early 1970 took a Master cylinder bore 
> of
> .75", while later 1970's and newer took a .70" bore.  Slave cylinder 
> diameters
> are apparently all the same.
> Assuming he has an early car, would his problem be improved with use of a
> later, smaller bore MC?
> 
> It's not fun driving his car.  Could something be binding mechanically?  
> The
> slave pushrod is in the center hole.
> Thanks for any insight and advice.
> George Haynes

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 19:02:08 -0400

Ok,

I got my 6 out of the garage today since it is her turn for the driving 
season. So now I can comment on your 6 clutch issues.

Here are my  comments on clutches on the 3, 4 and 6;

The 3 is the best by far. Easy pedal and normal engagement. Smooth and 
easy on the foot.

The 4 is by far the hardest push. Release is at almost to the floor. I 
have checked everything and that is the best I can get it.

The 6 is right in the middle. Engagement is about the same as the 3 but 
the pedal is a bit harder to push.

As you can guess, the 3 is my favorite as far as clutches are but my 
favorite drive is the 4.

Clutches were all new from TRF when installed.

No problems with MC or SC in either. Rebuilt original equipment.

So, I agree the 6 is a harder push when compared to the 3. A 70 bore 
would give you better pressure but less throw. Since my 6 is a 72 I am 
guessing I have the .075 bore.

For my 2 cents, as long as they work and dont leak, I am happy.

When the bury me, maybe my left leg will be bigger than my right.

Bob