Subject: [TR] Caliper O-Ring

From: "Rick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 12:26:25 -0700

The prohibition on splitting the calipers is a persistent piece of Triumph
folklore. Like any soft part, the seal is overdue for replacement after 50
years of service. Use care to keep the parts clean during reassembly. Torque
the 3/8" bolt to 45 ft-lbs and the 7/16" bolt to 75 ft-lbs. You'll need a
big vise to hold the caliper for this operation.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image001.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image003.gif]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:16:26 -0500

Apparently TRF, or their insurance carrier, still believes the folklore as
the answer I got back was: "We are not allowed to sell them, as a liability
issue"

My feeling is that if they are not to be split they would either be
permanently assembled or made as a single unit like on TS30766 with the
crossover pipe.

Thanks to several who responded with torque data.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rick
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 2:26 PM
To: 'Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] Caliper O-Ring

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
image001.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
image003.gif]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:30:11 -0700

> permanently assembled 

Nothing is "permanently assembled" if you apply enough force!

The advice to never disassemble Girling calipers originally came directly
from Girling.  I have seen the service note.

> or made as a single unit like on TS30766 with the crossover pipe.

So, did you also remove the big plug in the side of those calipers?  Your
theory appears to be that if it has threads, it's meant to be removed ...
<g>

-- Randall