Subject: [TR] Wire Wheels--Safety

From: P Caffrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List, 
Any opinions on the reliability 
of original wire wheels that have
never received maintenance (e.g., tuned, 
spokes replaced)?  What are the
chances of a wire wheel collapsing?  The wheels on 
my car are original with
all spokes accounted for and no visible rust.  The only 
thing I've done to
maintain them is powder-coating and wheel balance when tires 
are replaced.
Today, I had a nice drive on 
the Sacramento River road.  A lot of winding
road for miles with beautiful 
scenery of vineyards, small towns, boating,
etc.  However, the makeshift roadside 
altars marking auto fatalities (several
on the Sacramento levee) reminds one of 
the inherent dangers associated with
our cars. 

Thanks for any opinions...
Pat 
TR4A '67

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:20:40 -0700

FWIW, I once read a comment from Kas Kastner that he liked wire wheels
because they fail gradually.  Steel wheels are more of an "all or nothing"
proposition.

At the very least though, I'd either tune them myself or get someone to do
it.  Loose spokes are almost a guarantee of broken spokes if you drive them
that way very long.

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:25:21 -0500

In my experience (and I drove on some pretty bad ones over the years) they 
tend to break a spoke or two, or once a little loose the lack of tension 
leads to further and faster deterioration, but I don't think they are very 
prone to catastrophic failure, maybe others have different stories to tell, 
but there is probably more chance of your front lower suspension mounts 
breaking if you are looking for something to worry about :)

Greg Lemon

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 23:08:30 -0500

The only catastrophic failure I had was spinning my 3 across a median curb,
bent one and busted a lot of spokes on the other so it drove sort of
egg-shaped, but it got me the next 5 miles to the house.

I'm with Greg, I don't think you have anything to worry about it all looks
tight and clean as you say.  You will have plenty of warning from a spoke
here or there when things are starting to so south.

Enjoy your ride,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg Lemon
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:25 PM
To: P Caffrey; list Triumph
Subject: Re: [TR] Wire Wheels--Safety

Greg Lemon

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 23:24:25 -0500

Similar story, I whacked a curb pretty good when the crappy tires on my old 
TR4a hydroplaned (or maybe it was a crappy driver).  Bent the heck out of 
the wheel, but it didn't fail completely, limped home.

Greg Lemon

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:49:49 -0700

> You will have plenty of warning 
> from a spoke

Keep an eye on the splines, though.  I had just backed out of the driveway
when mine failed, so no real drama; but it could have been a lot worse on
the freeway.

And make sure the special nuts that hold the adapters are tight.  They are
supposed to be torqued to 65 ftlb, which tighter than usual for steel
wheels.  I didn't even know I had a problem until the car went sideways on
an off-ramp.

-- Randall

---

From: "Mitch R. Meisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 06:59:54 -0400

Related question.  Who have you guys used to true your wire wheels?  I've had
my chrome wires about 15 yrs, never had them serviced, and I'm getting a
wobble at speed that tells me it's time.  An yone use Hendrix Wire Wheel in
NC?  Anyone else worth considering on the East Coast?

REGISTER/REQUEST MTGS W/80+ COS PRESENTING AT CL KING 10TH ANNUAL BEST IDEAS
CONFERENCE, 9/12-9/13 at the Omni Berkshire Hotel in NYC.
http://www.meetmax.com/clking12reg.html

Mitch Meisler
Managing Director, Institutional Sales
CL King & Associates
Nine Elk Street
Albany, New York, 12207
518-431-3512-work
518-528-2263-cell
AOL IM = MEISLERCLKA
E-MAIL = [email-masked]
 
The views and recommendations in this communication are views of the CL King &
Associates Institutional Sales Desk. Unless otherwise indicated, this
communication has not been produced by CL King's Research Department and does
not constitute research.  This material is provided to you for information
purposes only.  CL King is not offering to buy or sell or solicit offers to
buy or sell any financial instrument. CL King has no obligation to update its
opinions or the information in this material.  CL King and its affiliates and
their respective officers, directors, partners and employees, including
persons involved in the preparation or issuance of this communication, may
from time to time act as manager, co-manager or underwriter of a public
offering or otherwise, in the capacity of principal or agent, deal in, hold or
act as market-makers or advisors, brokers or commercial and/or investment
bankers in relation to the securities or related derivatives which are subject
to this material. Neither CL King, nor any affiliate, nor any of their
respective officers, directors, partners, or employees accepts any liability
whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from the use of this
material or its content.  The securities discussed in this material may not be
suitable for all investors. CL King recommends that investors independently
evaluate each issuer, security or instrument discussed in this material, and
consult any independent advisors they believe necessary. The value of and
income from any investment may fluctuate from day to day as a result of
changes in relevant economic markets (including changes in market liquidity).
The information in this material is not intended to predict actual results,
which may differ substantially from those reflected. CL King is a member of
FINRA and SIPC.  WBE certified.  For more information about CL King &
Associates go to: www.clking.com.  If you are not an intended recipient of
this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete
it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in
error.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:50 AM
To: 'list Triumph'
Subject: Re: [TR] Wire Wheels--Safety

Keep an eye on the splines, though.  I had just backed out of the driveway
when mine failed, so no real drama; but it could have been a lot worse on the
freeway.

And make sure the special nuts that hold the adapters are tight.  They are
supposed to be torqued to 65 ftlb, which tighter than usual for steel wheels.
I didn't even know I had a problem until the car went sideways on an
off-ramp.

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________