Subject: [TR] Electric Fan wiring - TR3

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:28:36 -0400

As I am finishing up the wiring on my project, I thought I might build in
the wiring for an electric fan now rather than later (after all this is
Florida).

Car is still positive ground.

I have an open connection on a brown wire fuse box (located next to the
factory fuse box) fed from A1 of control box.  Fuse for Overdrive and an
accessory panel (both on relays). I am looking at a manual switch only.

My thoughts:

Brown/white from fuse box to C1/30 on relay.    

C2/87 to Fan also indicator lamp (probably brown/white as well)

?? from ?? to Switch to W1/85 (when key on)  - what color? And where
connected?

W2/86 to ground.

Fan & Indicator lamp grounded.  As an alternative, I may use a switch with
an indicator lamp in the knob if I can find a spring for it.  Location TBD.

Relays are my nemesis.   am I correct?

Thanks

Carl

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO

 <http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/> http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 

Still being restored - but 2012 looks like the year..

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:42:15 -0700

> I am looking at a manual  switch only.

You might want to reconsider that, Carl.  I used a manual switch for many
years, and I was forever forgetting to turn it off, or worse, turn it on.
Feels really stupid to be sitting at long traffic light and realize that the
smoke drifting through the intersection is actually steam from your
radiator.

Being too stubborn (& cheap) to buy any of the many automatic switches on
the market, I finally made my own little trigger circuit from scrap
electronic components and an old gauge sender.  Another of those "Why didn't
I do that sooner?" moments!

> ?? from ?? to Switch to W1/85 (when key on)  - what color? And where

Start from the 'green' circuit (ie fused, controlled by ignition switch).
Or if you prefer, add another fuse fed from the white circuit.  Color is
kind of up to you, maybe green to the switch and then green/slate or
what-have-you to the relay.  I'm not slavish about having all the wire
colors unique (which is good, because all the wires in my original wiring
harness have faded to tan & black).

> Relays are my nemesis.   am I correct?

Yup, should work.

-- Randall