Subject: [TR] TR2/3 overdrive relay.

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:43:10 -0400

Hello List:
Trying to sort out my overdrive circuits and suspicious about the o/d 
relay. It is the original Lucas item  - only 57 years old.
Can you substitute a generic 30 amp four connector relay for the o/d relay?
Would like to pick one up at my local flaps; having modern push on 
connectors would help matters as well as I wouldn't have to modify the 
harness.
Any advice on this one?
Thanks in advance.
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:18:07 -0700

> Can you substitute a generic 30 amp four connector relay for the o/d

My experience was that the generic relays (and purpose-made reproductions)
would not last long in service, presumably due to the inductive kickback
from the OD solenoid.  However, adding a snubber diode seemed to solve the
problem permanently, and I have been using the same cheap generic relay for
many years now with no further problems.  Here is an old photo of the relay
and diode on my previous TR3A before it got wrecked.  The original wiring
was later updated, but I am still using that relay and diode today.  (The
diode is inside the black heat shrink tubing that you can see leading under
the relay and over to the mounting screw.)
http://goo.gl/HDHjb

The diode goes from the output of the relay (to the solenoid) to ground.  If
your car has been converted to negative ground, the stripe on the diode goes
towards the relay terminal.  If you are still running positive ground, the
stripe goes towards ground.

I also added an in-line fuse to the power feed from the ammeter.  In
addition to protecting the solenoid if the cutout contacts don't open for
whatever reason, it will also protect the wires if the battery is connected
backwards (causing the diode to conduct) or the diode fails shorted.

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Gelhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:38:37 -0500

YES, a modern relay will work as good, or better, than the Lucas unit. If 
you take the cover off the Lucas relay, the contact points only look to be 
good for about 5 amps. There might be one caution. Some cube relays have a 
diode in parallel with the coil. That makes the coil polarity sensitive.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Angelo Graham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:43 PM
Subject: [TR] TR2/3 overdrive relay.

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]