Subject: [TR] uh oh - reassembled the GT6 gearbox and there is too much axial play

From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:15:42 -0400

Greeting all:

I am in the process of refreshening my early GT6 gearbox.  I did all the
gap / tolerance checks per the Bently manual.  Between the split ring and
the miserable 3rd gear circlip the main shaft asm is in tolerance.  From
the split rings rearward to first gear the axial gap is 0.001 out of
tolerance (spec is 0.00 to 0.002) - no big deal.  But when I asm the main
shaft in the gear box housing, there appears to be an excessive gap of
approx 0.150 between the 3-4 shift hub and 4th gear. First pic is of the
main main shaft asm in the housing:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/Triumph/GT6gearboxreassembly.jpg
THe second picture is a composit of where the gap is and how it looks when
sliding the 4th gear synchro back and forth.

I am convinced that the problem is not on the mainshaft from the 3rd gear
circlip to the split washers to the rear mainshaft bearing (I have had all
the bushings and thrust washers on the shaft to check the axial play).  I
don't have any pcs left over and the mainshaft bearings are fully seated in
the gearbox housing.  I'm lost on this - I know the 4th gear synchro can
not have 0.150+ of axial play - it would get chewed up.  Your thoughts?
The big TR gear boxes apprears to be a scaled up version of the Spit/GT6
boxes - so throw me some ideas of things to investigate.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]