Subject: [TR] TR2/3 carb issue - fiber washers

From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 10:42:47 -0400

Hello List:
  I fitted SU carb kits to my H4 carbs and was very pleased with the 
quality of the SU kits and the components supplied. Managed to get all 
of the leaks stopped and the float/needle issues straightened out. Only 
one problem, I can't manage to get the rear float bowl attachment point 
to stop leaking. The front carb float bowl with the supplied fiber 
washers is fine - no leaks, but the rear is another matter.
I dressed the mating surfaces with a file, doubled up on the fiber 
washers, bu no luck. Still a prominent leak. I have used new fiber 
washers each time, but still no luck.
Any substitute for the fiber washers? Something in a softer, more 
compliant material to affect a better seal against the bowl/carb body? 
What about using something like Permatex on the washers?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Angelo Graham

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:36:02 -0700 (PDT)

i put a thin film of Hylomar on mine.
i did it first time and no leaks. so i cant say if it was the Hylomar or just good gasket fit
Frank

________________________________
 From: Angelo Graham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:42 AM
Subject: [TR] TR2/3 carb issue - fiber washers
  
Hello List:
I fitted SU carb kits to my H4 carbs and was very pleased with the quality of the SU kits and the components supplied. Managed to get all of the leaks stopped and the float/needle issues straightened out. Only one problem, I can't manage to get the rear float bowl attachment point to stop leaking. The front carb float bowl with the supplied fiber washers is fine - no leaks, but the rear is another matter.
I dressed the mating surfaces with a file, doubled up on the fiber washers, bu no luck. Still a prominent leak. I have used new fiber washers each time, but still no luck.
Any substitute for the fiber washers? Something in a softer, more compliant material to affect a better seal against the bowl/carb body? What about using something like Permatex on the washers?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Angelo Graham

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:21:29 -0500

I guess H4 and H6 kits are different.  Mine came with rubber grommets.

Sent from mobile Bill

On Aug 1, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Frank Fisher <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I fitted SU carb kits to my H4 carbs and was very pleased with the quality
of the SU kits and the components supplied. Managed to get all of the leaks
stopped and the float/needle issues straightened out. Only one problem, I
can't manage to get the rear float bowl attachment point to stop leaking. The
front carb float bowl with the supplied fiber washers is fine - no leaks, but
the rear is another matter.
> I dressed the mating surfaces with a file, doubled up on the fiber washers,
bu no luck. Still a prominent leak. I have used new fiber washers each time,
but still no luck.
> Any substitute for the fiber washers? Something in a softer, more compliant
material to affect a better seal against the bowl/carb body? What about using
something like Permatex on the washers?
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:30:30 -0700

> washers each time, but still no luck.

The book shows a washer "set" with 3 washers in the diagram.  I assume the
bottom washer is steel.  Are you installing all 3 washers?  Does the bolt
clamp down tight against the bowl (meaning you can't move the bowl after the
bolt is tight) ?

> Any substitute for the fiber washers?

The Burlen web site shows the later rubber grommets (for the H6) as fitting
the H4.  You may also need the steel flat washer that goes against the bolt
head.
http://goo.gl/Xrh46

They also show a plastic (poly perhaps) replacement for the rubber that
might work better.  (I think I'll order a few of those myself as I get tired
of replacing the rubber every few years.)

It might be worth removing the carb from the engine, and holding it up where
you can see clearly where the leak is.  It might not be the washer at all.
For example, there is a small plug in the bowl casting that might be
leaking, or there could be a crack somewhere that isn't visible otherwise.

I've tried various kinds of sealer on the rubber grommets over the years,
none of them seem to help for very long.  Classic Permatex is dissolved by
ethanol, so I wouldn't think it would be a good choice (but didn't actually
try it).  But it might be different with the fiber washers, so may be worth
a try if all else fails.

-- Randall