Subject: [TR] indescribable

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:47:30 -0400

After more than a half-century on this earth, I thought I had experienced
just about everything there was to experience.  That was, until I got my
TR250 back from the dyno, correctly jetted and with 160bhp at the wheels.
Not that I intend to set speed records, but the sheer exhilaration of
driving the car after a 4-year restoration effort defies definitions.
Shifting through those gears and feeling the smoothness of that engine (I
love my TR3, but these 6 cylinders just exude power).

Sorry everyone, but this is why I love these cars.  Unbelievable.

Andrew Uprichard
1962 TR3B
1968 TR250
1957 smallmouth (undergoing restoration)

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:48:37 -0500

Sounds wonderful, congrats, nothing like things working well after you put 
them back together, inquiring minds want to know what you did to get 160 bhp 
and how it runs, smooth idle or lumpy, etc.?

Thanks

Greg Lemon
TR250 (pushing out an estimated 120-125)

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:39:19 -0400 (EDT)

As they say on Facebook - LIKE!!!

gratZ.
rml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Andrew Uprichard wrote:

> ________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:43:53 -0400 (EDT)

160 to the wheels... prey, do tell.

rml

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:36:28 -0400

To Bob and the many others who asked:

I owe most of this story to my cousin, Darryl Uprichard, owner of
Racetorations in the UK (no financial interest).  We talked about the
possibilities for the car and he came up with a menu of options for
performance versus cost.  We settled on +60 forged pistons, cam bearings and
a fast-road cam, the head was ported, we went with triple 40 DCOE Webers and
we fitted a stainless steel header.  Other additions included an electronic
distributor, a lightened flywheel and an alloy sump.

The car was dyno'd locally:  the shop had no experience with Webers, but
Racetorations sent a box of jets from which we chose airs, mains and idles
and returned the rest.  This made a huge difference:  for the person who
asked, the car now accelerates smoothly throughout the range.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert M. Lang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:44 PM
To: Andrew Uprichard
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] indescribable

rml

---

From: david brady <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:04:05 -0400

Congrats Andrew, those are terrific numbers. I have a TR250 with similar 
modifications and dyno-ed at 155 rear wheel brake horsepower. My problem 
is that I've never been able to get the triple webers to run right - big 
wide flat spot in the middle rpm range and when getting on the 
accelerator... It'd be great if you could post your choke, jet sizes, 
accelerator pumps, etc.

Thanks,
David Brady
'68 TR250, CD8124L

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:50:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi - believe it or not, I more or less assumed there was a connection to 
Racetorations. Family connection: even better!

What sort of chassis dyno were you running on?

And - we assume a free-flow exhaust, but what compression ratio are you 
running? And last - what size chokes are you running.

Last - what's the torque peak?

regards,
rml