Subject: [TR] TR6 Clutch Hydraulics

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:10:47 -0400 (EDT)

Listers,
A friend has a 1970 TR6 in which the clutch pedal requires an excessive amount
of force to disengage the clutch.  Considerably more force than other TR6's I
have driven and more than my TR4A.  We installed a new, stock pressure plate
last winter.

Could hydraulics be a fault?  The early 1970 took a Master cylinder bore of
.75", while later 1970's and newer took a .70" bore.  Slave cylinder diameters
are apparently all the same.
Assuming he has an early car, would his problem be improved with use of a
later, smaller bore MC?

It's not fun driving his car.  Could something be binding mechanically?  The
slave pushrod is in the center hole.
Thanks for any insight and advice.
George Haynes

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:19:00 -0400

Dave,

While I was out for a ride today, I thought of another possible cause to 
the hard push on the TR6 clutch.

Problem may be that the transmission was not aligned with the engine 
when installed.

You must make sure the 2 larger bolts are installed first before 
installing the rest of the bolts to the transmission. If I remember 
correctly they are on the left and right sides respectively. On some 
engines,  they might be a stud. But on mine they were bolts. This is 
very important. The clutch may be binding against the fly wheel if the 
alignment is off.

Bob