Subject: [TR] Knock in rear brakes?

From: Darrell Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:31:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi List,
Shaking down the 68 TR250 for the trip to the 2012 6-PACK Trials.  I have been
chasing a knock in the rear since last year's VTR NATC in Breckinridge.  It is
a singular knock coming out of the driver's side rear immediately after the
brakes are applied. It sounds like it is coming from the brakes but that's
difficult to detrimine exactly. I and others have been all over the entire
rear suspension and all that we found was loose nuts on both side axle
flanges. All of the suspension was entirely rebuilt with urethane bushings,
new brakes, shocks and u-joints last year. The loose nuts were tightened but
the knock is still present. It is fairly annoying.  So I am really stumped
with this one.  Should I just turn the radio up louder or is this the knock
that a 250 makes right before the wheel falls off?
Cheers,
Darrell

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:51:58 -0500

My first two thoughts would be the exhaust system moving against something
when you apply the brakes.  Or, your rear brake shoes/pads moving just a
little on the first tap.

For the exhaust, just shake everything and check the clearances as you did
with the rear suspension.  For the brakes, jack up the rear, set the parking
brake and turn the wheel forward/backward, or shift from 1st to reverse, to
see if there is any play.  Is it possible to have someone stand along side
the car as you drive by slowly and apply the brakes to listen for the knock?

Just my two cents,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Darrell Floyd
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:31 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Knock in rear brakes?

Hi List,
Shaking down the 68 TR250 for the trip to the 2012 6-PACK Trials.  I have
been chasing a knock in the rear since last year's VTR NATC in Breckinridge.
It is a singular knock coming out of the driver's side rear immediately
after the brakes are applied. It sounds like it is coming from the brakes
but that's difficult to detrimine exactly. I and others have been all over
the entire rear suspension and all that we found was loose nuts on both side
axle flanges. All of the suspension was entirely rebuilt with urethane
bushings, new brakes, shocks and u-joints last year. The loose nuts were
tightened but the knock is still present. It is fairly annoying.  So I am
really stumped with this one.  Should I just turn the radio up louder or is
this the knock that a 250 makes right before the wheel falls off?
Cheers,
Darrell

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]