Subject: [TR] TR3 Temp Gauge Acting Up

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:43:13 -0700 (PDT)

My TR3 temperature gauge doesn't come up to the usual temperature in our
cool mornings. I have a 185 thermostat, the bypass blanked off (with a 1/8
hole drilled in the pipe plug) and an electric cooling fan set to come on at
185 degrees. In the mornings my temp gauge reads like 100 degrees (on a
mid-50's morning). On my way home from work the outside temp is over 100 and
the temperature gauge reads like 135. I drive like hell too, it should be at
185 where it always has read.
     So I thought that it must be that the
thermostat was stuck open. I took out my infrared thermometer and measured the
water pump housing (about 195) and the thermostat housing (185) and the water
in the radiator and radiator itself (about 185), so the thermostat is working
apparently and the gauge was reading 135.

     I had the gauge and sender
rebuilt by West Valley Instrument about 10 years ago. Is the sending bulb in
the thermostat housing giving it up? I am afraid to try to take the bulb
sender unit out because if it isn't broke then it will be.
     What gives? Is
there something I should do before pulling the gauge and sending it out to
WVI?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:26:34 -0700

Stock type gauge?

If so, it has probably leaked out all its ether.  Time to ship it off to WVI
again.

Worth asking, they might even warranty it, or at least give you a break on a
refill.

-- Randall