Subject: [TR] How to bench test a windshield wiper motor

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:22:31 -0700

Can anyone please test me how to bench test a wiper motor with a park
feature? The connector to the wiper had 4 prongs in it.

-- 
Sujit Roy, Realtor
Cupertino, CA
(408) 839-8359

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:41:25 +0000 (UTC)

History.  Have about three thousand miles on the engine rebuild.  When I started it the first time, there was intense squealing for a few seconds that then went way.  I figured it for a dry water pump.

Squealing has returned.  Sounds for all the world like a fan belt issue or a bad bearing on either the water pump or alternator.  Tried the stethoscope, couldn't isolate, so swapped out the water pump.  Squeal persisted.  Stethoscoped the alternator again, couldn't isolate, but then accidently dropped cold water on the alternator and the sound stopped abruptly.  What was THAT all about??

So, bought a new GM alternator, adapted it to fit, put the old wide-belt pulley on it, and reinstalled.  Same squeal as before.  

But in the past week, the engine is overheating at idle and in hot weather. I'm running the belt looser than I usually do, but watching the action, the pulleys all seem to be turning, but am wondering if they're not going as fast as they should and the squealing is slippage?  

Will try belt dressing to see if that changes anything.

Question:  If I was spinning a crank bearing, either main or rod, it would make much different noises than a belt squeal, right?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:25:09 -0700

One simple test is to remove the belt altogether and briefly run the engine
-- if the noise is gone that would narrow the search down to water pump,
alternator or belt.

A suspect belt can sometimes be diagnosed by spraying a bit of WD40 on it
while the engine is running.  If that immediately elminates the squeal then
it is the belt.  The WD40 is not a fix, just for diagnosis.

I have quieted a noisy belt by (very carefully) hold a sanding block
against the sides of the Vee as the engine runs.  This scuffs the belt a
bit and breaks up the glaze if that is what is cauing the noise.

Geo

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> History.  Have about three thousand miles on the engine rebuild.  When I
> started it the first time, there was intense squealing for a few seconds
> that then went way.  I figured it for a dry water pump.
>
> Squealing has returned.  Sounds for all the world like a fan belt issue or
> a bad bearing on either the water pump or alternator.  Tried the
> stethoscope, couldn't isolate, so swapped out the water pump.  Squeal
> persisted.  Stethoscoped the alternator again, couldn't isolate, but then
> accidently dropped cold water on the alternator and the sound stopped
> abruptly.  What was THAT all about??
>
> So, bought a new GM alternator, adapted it to fit, put the old wide-belt
> pulley on it, and reinstalled.  Same squeal as before.
>
> But in the past week, the engine is overheating at idle and in hot
> weather. I'm running the belt looser than I usually do, but watching the
> action, the pulleys all seem to be turning, but am wondering if they're not
> going as fast as they should and the squealing is slippage?
>
> Question:  If I was spinning a crank bearing, either main or rod, it would
> make much different noises than a belt squeal, right?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Skip Gurnee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:48:42 -0700

One possibility that I've encountered is a misalignment of the two pulleys, 
like the alternator is cocked to one side, or in a different plane.  You 
should be able to see it from the side.  I like George's solutions, and I'm 
sure others will come up with more.  I've had crank bearings go bad; they 
didn't squeal, and began to knock pretty quick.  I doubt that's the problem, 
especially with the sound disappearing with cold water on the alternator.
Skip Gurnee  64 TR4, 65 TR4A
Nevada

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 2:41 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Overheatng

Squealing has returned.  Sounds for all the world like a fan belt issue or a 
bad bearing on either the water pump or alternator.  Tried the stethoscope, 
couldn't isolate, so swapped out the water pump.  Squeal persisted. 
Stethoscoped the alternator again, couldn't isolate, but then accidently 
dropped cold water on the alternator and the sound stopped abruptly.  What 
was THAT all about??

But in the past week, the engine is overheating at idle and in hot weather. 
I'm running the belt looser than I usually do, but watching the action, the 
pulleys all seem to be turning, but am wondering if they're not going as 
fast as they should and the squealing is slippage?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:04:49 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you, everyone who responded.  After typing the initial question, I went straightaway to the car, sprayed some belt dressing on the belt and pulleys, then started it up.

Absolutely zero noise!  

Belt does need more tightening, I think, but I'm trying to keep as much tension off the bearings as I can.  That said....

Thanks again!

Terry

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:28:41 -0500

Another possibility is the belt actually touching the pulleys along the bottom
of the belt.
The belt is actually NOT supposed to bottom out, but only touch along the
sides.

On Aug 24, 2012, at 6:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Thank you, everyone who responded.  After typing the initial question, I
went straightaway to the car, sprayed some belt dressing on the belt and
pulleys, then started it up.
>
> Absolutely zero noise!
>
> Belt does need more tightening, I think, but I'm trying to keep as much
tension off the bearings as I can.  That said....
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]