Subject: [TR] Oil and Rocker Arm Assembly and Adjusting screws

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:58:47 -0500

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to see if oil is getting all the way through the 
rocker arm assembly?  It is currently off the car.

Chris pointed out that part of my problem with the adjusting screws may 
be that they aren't getting lubed.  It makes sense as it is they are on 
1 and 2 valves.  The furthest from the oil supply.

Thanks everyone.

Roger

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:18:47 -0500

If the spit works anything like the TR-2/3/4, the rocker assembly is 
fed by the oil going to the rear cam bearing.  If the cam bearings 
aren't installed properly, no oil comes up from the cam.  In the 
TR-2/3/4 there's an external line that can be run from the block to 
the head to provide more flow.  On the TR-4, that's where the problem 
would most likely be rather than in the rocker assembly itself.

One way to check is to put the rocker assembly back on the car but 
leave the valve cover off.  Start it up.  If you coat the whole 
engine compartment with oil being flung off of the valve train you 
don't have an oil delivery problem.  If things stay pretty dry, you 
do have a problem.  I'm guessing that others have a better / less 
messy way to check...  :)

Tony Drews

At 11:58 AM 7/27/2012, Roger Elliott wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is there an easy way to see if oil is getting all the way through 
>the rocker arm assembly?  It is currently off the car.
>
>Chris pointed out that part of my problem with the adjusting screws 
>may be that they aren't getting lubed.  It makes sense as it is they 
>are on 1 and 2 valves.  The furthest from the oil supply.
>
>Thanks everyone.
>
>Roger
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:58:35 -0700

> engine compartment with oil being flung off of the valve train

I make that test often (every time I run the valves).  On a stock TR2/3/4
engine, the oil just oozes out and makes very little if any mess (as long as
the idle rpm is low).  It takes a minute or two to even fill the rocker
shaft (so the front rockers get lubed).

I believe this is deliberate, the rear cam journal has a flat on it that is
intended to act as a metering pump and limit the volume of oil sent to the
rocker shaft.  My opinion, the bypass that Tony mentioned puts way, way too
much oil on top (for a street engine).  As John "Twosheds" Herrera used to
say, I have experimented with this.

With the shaft off the engine, I would suggest disassembling the shaft to be
sure that the passages are clear.  Due to the slow oil movement, the bore
through the shaft is a prime location for sludge to develop.  

Another option would be to simply send the whole thing off to Rocker Arm
Specialists for rebuilding.  If it has been run without enough oil long
enough to destroy the adjusters like that, chances are that the shaft &
rockers are severely worn as well.

If you want, you can also remove the spark plugs and spin the engine with
the starter until oil starts to ooze out from the passage that feeds the
shaft.  If you get anything at all, most likely the bearing is installed
properly and everything is working as intended.

-- Randall