Subject: [TR] Valve Adjustment

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:44:36 -0500

Hi,

I have a question about valves going out of adjustment.

Recently, I adjusted the valves on my Spitfire (two of the valves were 
way out of adjustment- too large of a gap).  I then took it in to a shop 
as I could not get it to run quite right.  I asked them to adjust the 
carbs as I thought that was the problem.

Well in the process of dong that, he discovered that some of the valves 
were way out of adjustment.  Okay I might have messed up some, but he 
said they were about .1.

Now I was changing the oil and I wanted to check the rocker assembly as 
I thought perhaps it was loose and allowing the gap to get larger.   All 
of the nuts were tight.

But I looked at a couple of the valves and they are probably about .1 again.

It looks like the adjusters on the valves that have the big gap don't 
have as much of the adjusting screw sticking out the top as the others.

What could be causing my gap to increase so much?

I recently put in new tappets that were tested for hardness.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:04:09 -0500

I converted wrong the feeler gauge I had is only marked metric.  It was 
.040.

Roger

On 07/26/2012 11:44 AM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> way out of adjustment- too large of a gap).  I then took it in to a 
> shop as I could not get it to run quite right.  I asked them to adjust 
> the carbs as I thought that was the problem.
>
> Well in the process of dong that, he discovered that some of the 
> valves were way out of adjustment.  Okay I might have messed up some, 
> but he said they were about .1.
>
> Now I was changing the oil and I wanted to check the rocker assembly 
> as I thought perhaps it was loose and allowing the gap to get 
> larger.   All of the nuts were tight.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:50:52 -0500

I think I found the problem.  The ball on the bottom of the valve 
adjusting screw is gone on one of the valves and noticeably worn on another.

There may be additional problems,  I am going to check the cam lift.

But I'm thinking that the screws started wearing then the process 
accelerated.

I will post a picture of the the adjusting screws later.

Thanks,

Roger

On 07/26/2012 12:04 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> I converted wrong the feeler gauge I had is only marked metric.  It 
> was .040.
>
> Roger
>
>> Recently, I adjusted the valves on my Spitfire (two of the valves 
>> were way out of adjustment- too large of a gap).  I then took it in 
>> to a shop as I could not get it to run quite right.  I asked them to 
>> adjust the carbs as I thought that was the problem.
>>

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:14:33 -0500

Here is a link to the adjusting screws.

http://www.kcallbritish.com/spitfire/adjustingscrew.html

Roger