Subject: [TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

From: Jim Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:02:22 -0400

Hi Malcolm,
I have a glowing recommendation. I used a Crane electronic ignition in my
72 VW camper and am very pleased. I think it's the Fireball XR-700.
Instead of  points, this system uses a disc with slits in it that slides
onto the distributor cam. There is an LED and sensor, and the disc rotates
between them, so the coil fires whenever the beam of light goes through a
slit.
A bit hard to describe but simple when you see it.
A major benefit is that it does not care about distributor shaft wobble,
which I had. I also had a scored cam, which wore down my points quickly,
and now this is not an issue. Your centrifugal and vacuum advances still do
have to work properly.
My idle is now rock steady and the timing light gives a very narrow beam at
all speeds.
Also - there have been enough reports about failing Pertronix units
(magnets falling out) that I wanted to stay away from those.
Jim

> From: Malcolm <[email-masked]>
>
> ......Has anyone got glowing recommendations, or horror stories, for
> electronic
> ignition?  I've been scouring the Web and so far have not found a clear
> winner.  I could rebuild the points (a la Distributor Doctor, or Advanced
> Distributors) - or get Petronix, Hot-Spark, or some other drop-in
> electronic replacement.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:51:18 -0400

On  17 Jul, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Jim Wallace wrote:

> 72 VW camper and am very pleased. I think it's the Fireball XR-700...

I have installed the Crane electronic ignition system in both my previous MGB
(that I gave my daughter) and now in my TR3A.  It made them both as reliable
as my wife's Honda.

I remain very happy with it & recommend it.

John

John A. Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 Triumph TR3A
Commission No: TS80422L

1977 Porsche 911S

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:49:28 -0500

I have the pertronix in several cars.  many thousands of miles, many years, 
no problems.  (with the pertronix)