Subject: [TR] TR6 clutch problem

From: Pete Arakelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:15:42 -0700

We are trying to help a customer diagnose a problem.
He just had his clutch replaced. Had a Borg & Beck assembly replaced with a
Borg & Beck pressure plate, disc, and RHP release bearing.  Also had to
replace the t/o bearing sleeve because it had a Green Bearing one piece
release bearing and sleeve unit. Used one of the new phosphor-bronze sleeves
with copper based lubricant as recommended. The fork was fine.  Also replaced
the pilot bushing.
Symptoms:  After the first approx 100 miles a squeal developed that sounded
like the t/o bearing.  Squeal when lay foot on pedal, silent when pushed, very
slight when no pressure at all.  Then after another 100 miles or so the real
problem developed.  When the pedal is released it feels rough along the entire
length of travel.  To the point that it makes it difficult in traffic because
it often seems to hang up at the very end of travel so sometimes it is
difficult to just let the clutch out slowly.  It only occurs when the engine
is running.  When you sit in the car, engine idling, and press the pedal you
can feel the roughness.  If you work the pedal when the engine is running,
then shut the engine off, as soon as the engine stops the pedal feels smooth.
Someone suggested the clutch master is hanging up, but that would occur all
the time, engine running or not.
Thoughts?  Please...
Peter Arakelian

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:21:55 -0700

> Thoughts?  Please...

Sounds like a bad TOB to me.  The heat from the bad bearing has likely
damaged the carrier and/or front cover as well.  Last time I went through
that set of symptoms, the carrier eventually seized entirely to the front
cover and had to be cut off (after limping home in rush hour traffic with a
clutch that wouldn't release).

The bearing may have been bad off the shelf, or it may have been damaged
during installation.  The design is less than wonderful in that regard,
there is no way to press the inner race onto the sleeve without pushing
against the bearing.

I've been told that even improper storage can lead to problems, but I'm not
sure I believe that.

There's a good article on the Buckeye Triumphs site ("Reliable Clutch") that
talks about some other things to look for, after it's apart.

Sorry, Peter, I'd love to say it was just a hydraulic problem, but I don't
think so.

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 21:42:44 -0500

I agree with Randall, and Pete, the hydraulic system doesn't care if the 
drivetrain is spinning, the T/O bearing does.  It sounds like a pull the 
tranny again problem, unfortunately.  Only other possibility is the bearing 
is not aligned or moving smoothly, this does not seem likely, but in any 
event sounds like a pull the tranny issue, certainly test hydraulic action 
as best you can though before taking the more drastic action.

Greg Lemon
68 TR250

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Pete Arakelian'" <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 clutch problem

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]