Subject: [TR] TR4 braking effort

From: Andy Graybeal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:47:07 -0700

I've been told by my son that my brakes are no good--too hard to  
stop. I've never thought about it myself, but maybe it is hard to  
stop. I installed Repco pads to keep my wheels from getting so dusty  
(and, of course, for fade free operation). In my everyday driving, I  
seldom find myself slamming on the brakes, but on the odd occasion  
that happens, I manage to pull it down.

Would the Repco pads be better replaced with stock? The only  
competition I've run the car in is autocross.

Andy Graybeal

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:25:05 -0500

Andy, I had repco mettalic pads on my TR4A a long time ago, don't know if 
you have the same composition, but they did not have much initial bite from 
cold, they were really good when warmed up, you may be better off with stock 
for street use, or one of the more modern materials (ceramic??) that has 
some of the high performance benefits without the cold use drawbacks.

Greg Lemon
68 TR250

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:19:56 -0700

> stop.

I'll suggest a simple test:  Find a deserted stretch of road (at least no
one close behind you), then do a straight line panic stop from around 45
mph.  You should be able to lock both front wheels if you want to, then with
just a tad more pressure lock both rears as well.  If so, the brakes are
darn near perfect.  If not, the skid marks on the pavement (or lack thereof)
will tell you what needs to be fixed.

Obviously, keep your wits about you.  If the car starts to do something bad
(like pull to one side or lock one wheel), get your foot off the brake pedal
not stomp it harder.  This is also good practice for a real panic stop.

-- Randall