Subject: [TR] First run, big smie and question

From: John Gillis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:06:10 +0100

On a very sunny (honest) day in Dublin, took the TR2 on the public roads for
the first time in probably 40 years for the car and nearing the end of my 15
year project, driving about 30 miles. It drove without knocks or bangs, slight
adjustment to the mixture and timing improved running, it does have an odd
wobble at the front around 20mph, but nothing either side. My question is:
when fully warmed up and I must say the temperature gauge sits bang in the
middle throughout, at tick-over I have on the oil gauge 25psi and driving at
2000rpm around 40mph I have 50psi, how do these figures seem for a rebuilt
engine?
I still have a stupid grin on my face!

John
1954 TR2 Long Door

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:34:07 -0500

Sounds right to me, keep grinning, Greg Lemon

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:07:25 -0500

Congrats.  It's a great feeling

Ken Gano

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2012, at 2:06 PM, John Gillis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:40:46 -0700

> and driving at

I hate to say this, knowing how much effort you have put into your TR2, but
I am going to anyway.  Those numbers seem somewhat low to me, for a freshly
rebuilt engine.  Not low enough to require immediate action, but low enough
to indicate that something is not as it should be.  Those are about the
numbers I see with my TR3, and I know it has significantly worn main and cam
bearings.  (They were lower before I replaced the rod bearings, which were
worn into the copper backing.  My plan is to drive it for a few years, until
I can rebuild a spare engine for it.)

The very first thing I would check is the accuracy of the gauge.  It's not
at all uncommon for them to lose accuracy over the years.

Just curious, are you still running the original bypass type oil filter?

-- Randall

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:50:33 -0500

Congrats John.

I just got a restored 1965 TR4A back on the road last September, here in Fort
Worth, Texas.
Your oil pressure settings look close to mine, maybe even a little higher.

I played with mixture/timing for about six months before I reached a "good
enough" abandonment point.

Enjoy!!

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:16:02 -0500

I will follow up Randall's comment with a couple questions, what weight of 
oil are you running? was it hot outside? car fully warmed up.  I don't think 
the numbers sound bad, 2000 rpm is still spinning pretty slow, if it stills 
goes up to about 60 psi or a little more at 2500 to 3000 that would be in 
the ballpark.  My brother's TR3 and my TR4a both ran about 60 psi hot on a 
fresh rebuild at highway speeds (2500 rpm or a little more in O/D).

So I don't disagree with Randall, it may be slightly low, but doesn't seem 
too far off to me.

Greg Lemon