Subject: [TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:14:13 -0400

Anyone out there ever use a stereo like this for their car?  If so any
pros or cons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=360471498641#ht_832wt_1163

Here is the description from the auction:

This 5 1/4 by 3 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch compact yet powerful unit can be
hidden most anywhere
and all functions are controlled directly from your audio device
Maintains your cars original stock interior appearance.

50 Watts per channel, four channels (4 speaker outputs).
Plays through your existing 4 ohm speakers. Plenty of power for most speakers.
Includes power cord and speaker connections.
3.5 input for iPod/iPhone/ MP3 player (Cell phones, Microsoft Zune,
SanDisk Sansa, & Creative Zen)
It's like a mini CD changer with way more songs then any CD changer could hold.
BONUS 3.5 to 3.5 input cable is included. (sd card, usb stick, mp3
player, ipod, iphone NOT INCLUDED)
20% the size and 1/3 the cost of other hidden or "Secret Audio" systems.
Why pay for more then you need?
Includes Woody's Exclusive installation and operation instructions.
Large print and in English!
Will work in 6 volt vehicles and positive ground vehicles with
optional converter ($59)
Requires 4 ohm speakers, original (old) speakers may not sound good.
Upgraded speakers are available (6.5, 5X7, 6X9, & 4X10 dual voice coil
or 5.25, 5 inch, 3.5, 4 inch speaker pairs)
1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Thanks,

Brad

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:35:23 -0700

> Anyone out there ever use a stereo like this for their car?  If so any

I have not.  For one thing, that is not a "stereo", just an amplifier.  It
has to be wired to some sort of player to function.  Possibly you aren't
worried about having a device on the end of a wire roaming around loose
inside the cockpit, but I am very opposed to such things.

Other than that, I guess the concept and price is reasonable.  However, I'd
want to ask some pointed questions about what, exactly, that "50 watt"
rating means.  If that is 50 watts RMS 20Hz to 20kHz continuous with THD
below 0.1%; wonderful.  But if it is only 50 watts "peak", I think you'll be
unhappy.  Just saying "50 watts" is kind of like "fresh frozen fish", it
doesn't mean a thing.

Unless you really want 4 channels, you might shop around for a 2-channel
amp.  Some very brief poking around turned up a 700 watt x 2 Pyle for $60
(including shipping) @ Amazon.  Larger footprint, but about the same
thickness (should fit nicely above the gas tank).
http://goo.gl/KTSqx

Another thing to consider is where that power is coming from.  A stock TR4
generator only puts out about 250 watts, and most of that is needed for the
engine, headlights, etc.  Since audio amps are rarely more than 50%-60%
efficient, a real 50x4 output is going to require something on the order of
400 watts input power (like 30 amps).  If you are serious about playing
music loud enough to be heard over the wind noise, you'll need an alternator
conversion.

-- Randall

---

From: "Ken Nachman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:56:10 -0400

Brad - I recently installed this exact unit from Woody's into my '69 TR6. I
removed a "modern" CD player the previous owner had installed. I bought a
new uncut dash support and put a period radio that is not connected (but I
guess I could have used a blanking plate). It looks great and I play my iPod
through my 4 speakers. Sounds good and I can even hear it with the top down.
I control the volume on my iPhone.
Ken Nachman
Richmond Triumph Register
1969 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Kahler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:14 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

Anyone out there ever use a stereo like this for their car?  If so any pros
or cons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=360471498641#ht_8
32wt_1163

This 5 1/4 by 3 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch compact yet powerful unit can be hidden
most anywhere and all functions are controlled directly from your audio
device Maintains your cars original stock interior appearance.

50 Watts per channel, four channels (4 speaker outputs).
Plays through your existing 4 ohm speakers. Plenty of power for most
speakers.
Includes power cord and speaker connections.
3.5 input for iPod/iPhone/ MP3 player (Cell phones, Microsoft Zune, SanDisk
Sansa, & Creative Zen) It's like a mini CD changer with way more songs then
any CD changer could hold.
BONUS 3.5 to 3.5 input cable is included. (sd card, usb stick, mp3 player,
ipod, iphone NOT INCLUDED) 20% the size and 1/3 the cost of other hidden or
"Secret Audio" systems.
Why pay for more then you need?
Includes Woody's Exclusive installation and operation instructions.
Large print and in English!
Will work in 6 volt vehicles and positive ground vehicles with optional
converter ($59) Requires 4 ohm speakers, original (old) speakers may not
sound good.
Upgraded speakers are available (6.5, 5X7, 6X9, & 4X10 dual voice coil or
5.25, 5 inch, 3.5, 4 inch speaker pairs)
1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Thanks,

Brad

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 11:20:50 -0400

Ken,

What type of speakers did you buy, where did you mount them and how
did you mount them?  Currently I have no sound system in the car.

Where did you mount the amplifier?  You're using it the way I envision
using one if I decide to go that route.  I don't care to install a
radio/stereo partly because I don't want to hassle with an antenna and
also because my radio plate has to cigarette lighter outlets in it.

Also where do you put your iphone while driving?

Thanks!

Brad

---

From: "Steve Thornton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:58:48 -0500

Brad et al-

My questions exactly.

Also, when the iPhone is playing music through this system, is it charging the
iPhone battery, or discharging?

Thanks in advance.

Steven O. Thornton
Attorney at Law
1011 Lehman Avenue
Suite 102
Bowling Green, KY.  42103
270-781-6630

Sent from my iPhone

>> Anyone out there ever use a stereo like this for their car?  If so any
pros
>> 3.5 input for iPod/iPhone/ MP3 player (Cell phones, Microsoft Zune,
SanDisk
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
m

---

From: "Ken Nachman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 20:21:40 -0400

Brad - Lots of questions: 
1) I have the speakers mounted in I think they are called the kidney pads
under the dash and another pair in the back upholstered panel. When I bought
the car it had some hideous white speakers some kid had installed. I
replaced them with black generic 6" speakers from eBay. My interior is black
so they are pretty much invisable. You should have seen the radio the DPO
had installed - it had a purple display that you couldn't turn off -- it
gave me a headache!
2) I installed the amp under the heater box above the transmission tunnel
behind a stock radio that doesn't work. I have an antenna but have never
used it.
3) I have an aftermarket power plug (cigarette lighter) hidden under the
dash connected to the accessory position on the ignition switch - remember
my car is a '69 model with a plinth mounted ignition switch. I usually use
it for the GPS on long(er) trips, but could connect the iPhone charger.
4) usually I put the phone on the passenger seat while driving because it
rings and I am a Realtor so I need to answer. My mobile office is often the
TR6.
Later 
Ken Nachman
'69 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Kahler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:21 AM
To: Ken Nachman
Cc: Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

Ken,

What type of speakers did you buy, where did you mount them and how did you
mount them?  Currently I have no sound system in the car.

Where did you mount the amplifier?  You're using it the way I envision using
one if I decide to go that route.  I don't care to install a radio/stereo
partly because I don't want to hassle with an antenna and also because my
radio plate has to cigarette lighter outlets in it.

Thanks!

Brad

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Ken Nachman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Brad - I recently installed this exact unit from Woody's into my '69 
> TR6. I removed a "modern" CD player the previous owner had installed. 
> I bought a new uncut dash support and put a period radio that is not 
> connected (but I guess I could have used a blanking plate). It looks 
> great and I play my iPod through my 4 speakers. Sounds good and I can even
hear it with the top down.
> hidden most anywhere and all functions are controlled directly from 
> your audio device Maintains your cars original stock interior appearance.
>
> SanDisk Sansa, & Creative Zen) It's like a mini CD changer with way 
> more songs then any CD changer could hold.
> player, ipod, iphone NOT INCLUDED) 20% the size and 1/3 the cost of 
> other hidden or "Secret Audio" systems.
> optional converter ($59) Requires 4 ohm speakers, original (old) 
> speakers may not sound good.

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:07:21 -0400

Ken, thanks for the info.  See comments below:

> had installed - it had a purple display that you couldn't turn off -- it

TR4s don't have the kidney pads.  I'll likely mount some up in the
foot wells.  Only problem for me is on the passenger side I have the
cruise control module mounted there which sort of limits mounting
possibilities.

You don't like purple?!  Can't say as I blame you :)

> behind a stock radio that doesn't work. I have an antenna but have never

That's where I'm considering installing something.  At one point I
thought about removing the heater all together but as I get older I
think having some warmth might not be so bad :)

I don't want to install an antenna or deal with a radio which is
another reason why an ipad, mp3, etc sounds appealing.

> it for the GPS on long(er) trips, but could connect the iPhone charger.

Here is an interesting gadget that would allow me to leave the iphone
in the glove box and eliminate any cords.  I plan on having both of my
power plugs tied to the ignition acc position as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=3#specification

Thanks,

Brad