Subject: Re: [TR] First run, big smie and question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 14:38:38 -0500 (CDT)

TR6 guy myself, but those numbers sound pretty good to me.  First day on vacation, I am smiling with you!
 
Congrats!
 
Craig
1972 Triumph TR6 

On 07/07/12, John Gillis<[email-masked]> wrote:

On a very sunny (honest) day in Dublin, took the TR2 on the public roads for
the first time in probably 40 years for the car and nearing the end of my 15
year project, driving about 30 miles. It drove without knocks or bangs, slight
adjustment to the mixture and timing improved running, it does have an odd
wobble at the front around 20mph, but nothing either side. My question is:
when fully warmed up and I must say the temperature gauge sits bang in the
middle throughout, at tick-over I have on the oil gauge 25psi and driving at
2000rpm around 40mph I have 50psi, how do these figures seem for a rebuilt
engine?
I still have a stupid grin on my face!

John
1954 TR2 Long Door

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 10:08:20 -0700

The factory manual says that you should have 70 psi when fully warmed 
up.  If you have less than this there is an adjustment on the oil 
pressure regulator spring.  Please note that if you did not replace this 
spring then you are never going to get the oil pressure right as the old 
one is worn out though age, heat, and rubbing against the side of the 
bore it rides in.

If you cannot achieve 70 psi with good oil on a "rebuilt" engine then 
you have other problems such as incorrect bearing clearance, worn oil 
pump etc.  On a good engine it is easy to get over 100 psi at 2,000 rpm 
though not recommended by anyone including me.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA