Subject: [TR] separating trans & OD

From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:14:31 -0400

Greetings all"

I am about to separate the trans and OD units in order to be able to
dismantle the trans in order to refresh.  Are there any concerns / gotchas
that I need to be concerned about?   I know that I need to be carefull on
reassembly of the two modules so that I don't damage the OD plunger.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:03:57 -0700

> that I need to be concerned about?  

Make sure it was not under power the last time it was shifted out of OD.  If
you aren't sure, it would probably be wise to spin it up with a drill motor
or whatever, enough to shift in and out of OD.  Then of course repeat the
process after you stop turning it, to be sure all the pressure is bled off.
Otherwise, the direct drive clutch may be bound up with the splines hard
enough to make it difficult or impossible to disassemble.

> I know that I need to be carefull on reassembly

There are some really good articles on the Buckeye Triumphs site
http://goo.gl/4BtfD
and also on the VTR site
http://goo.gl/yIdTa

I would suggest downloading, reading and understanding them before you
start.

-- Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 02:09:01 +0000 (UTC)

Question: carburetors call for specific fuel psi's.  Does it take exceeding it by a lot (say, 20%) to overwhelm the floats and cause flooding?  ...Or a little, say 5%?

Probably it's relative to the size of the carb.  I dunno.  Just trying to get a general idea.

Terry

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:31:44 -0500

Probably it is more relative to the efficiency of your float shutoff valve.
SUs and most carburetors want between 2.5-3.5psi of pressure.  Could you get
away with 20% more at 4.2psi?  Maybe, but each step up just increases the
risk of failure/flooding.  Kind of like stepping out on a skinny limb to
find out when it will break.

If you have the measuring and regulating ability, give a try and tell us all
where the float valve starts to leak.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If youthink you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] fuel pump pressure question

Question: carburetors call for specific fuel psi's.  Does it take exceeding
it by a lot (say, 20%) to overwhelm the floats and cause flooding?  ...Or a
little, say 5%?

Probably it's relative to the size of the carb.  I dunno.  Just trying to
get a general idea.

Terry

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]