Subject: [TR] Interesting error in the Haynes manual

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:00:22 -0400 (EDT)

Listers,

I was in the process of installing a Pertronix unit in my TR4 today
and ran across and mistake in the Haynes manual for Triumph TR2,3,3A,4,4A copy
writ 1971.

As I was following the step by step instructions for setting the
timing on my TR4 after having installed the Pertronix unit I found that the
instructions read "Slowly and carefully turn the distributor body
anti-clockwise until with the heel of the fibre rocker arm on the cam the
points just begin to open."  I was using a test light instead of the fibre
rocker arm to determine when the points opened.  

The problem with the above
statement is the distributor shaft turns anti-clockwise and so you need to
actually rotate the distributor clockwise until the points just begin to open.
After first setting the timing the way the book described it seemed like the
distributor was somewhat out of position compared to how it was normally
oriented.  I tried to start the engine and it would hardly turn over because
the timing was so far advanced.

After studying the problem for a few minutes
I finally realized the mistake.  Made for a frustrating tune up session!

Brad
1963 TR4

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 15:53:14 +0100 (BST)

I guess you can't get all of it right all of the time for everyone? Sigh ...
 
Jonmac     
________________________________
 From: "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, 4 July
2012, 0:00
Subject: [TR] Interesting error in the Haynes manual

>and ran
across and mistake in the Haynes manual for Triumph TR2,3,3A,4,4A copy
>writ
1971.
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]