Subject: Re: [TR] Rear spring issues TR3A

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:02:20 -0700

> Sorry, I'm not Randall but:

Actually, I think that's a wonderful arrangement, nothing to be sorry about!
<G>

Not sure what happened, but my reply seems to have been lost.  As Jerry
said, after checking out the shocks, I'd look at the springs next.  If not
kept oiled on a regular basis, they can rust between the leaves and transmit
every little bump to the car.  The book recommends used motor oil, but fresh
will do.

Based on TeriAnn's advice, I installed "UHMW" (ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene) tape between the leaves.  MMC P/N 76445A24 is enough to do two
cars.  The ride improvement was noticeable and so far, at least, it seems to
be holding up well.  The only caveat is that the rear shocks become more
important without all that friction in the springs.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:02:20 -0700

> Randall will suggest lubricating between the leaves and my 
> guess is that's a 
> good place to start. I think he even installed some thin 
> Nylon between 
> leaves which is even better,

Correct on both points, except that on TeriAnn's suggestion I used a plastic
known as UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene).  UHMW is both
slicker and stronger than nylon (also stronger than Teflon which was my
first choice).  P/N 76445A24 @ 
http://www.mcmaster.com

It made a noticeable difference.  You'll never get a TR3 to ride like a
Cadillac, but at least it doesn't resemble a lumber wagon any more!

Might also be worth checking your rear shocks.  They have a tendency to come
loose on the mounts, and for the rubber in the end links to go away.  I've
also seen them fail such that they would not move.

Randall

---

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 08:28:29 -0400

> also seen them fail such that they would not move.
Yes the passenger side shock mounts are loose, replacing those bolts now.
Thanks

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 05:55:52 -0700

> Actually, I think that's a wonderful arrangement, nothing to be sorry about!
Works for me too ;)

> important without all that friction in the springs.
I've never done that to the TR3 but strips of UHMV have been sitting 
between the leaves in my Land Rover for 13 years know and are still 
doing their thing for increased articulation and ride smoothness.  And I 
could not begin to count the hours they have worked on washboard trails.

TeriAnn