Subject: [TR] Clutch Slave Return Spring

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 08:15:17 -0700 (PDT)

I am having a rough time with clutch return springs. The old spring broke
when I was taking it off to rebuild the clutch slave. It broke "in the
spring". I ordered two new ones from Moss so I would have a spare. This
morning I went to put the new spring in and it broke at the 90 on the spring
straight part. I was holding it on the the long straight part at the 90 when
it happened. No problem, I thought - I have a spare. When putting the second
try on the little hook didn't get in the hole. I was trying to work/walk it in
with a screwdriver and then it broke as well. Time to order some more springs
and re-think things. So much for motoring about this weekend.
     Is there
something I am missing on installing the spring? Is there an easier way to do
it? I am holding the long straight part up to the 90 and stretching it out to
get it in. I have done it many times before without issue. The spring has
broke by itself a couple of times over the last 20 years.

     What the heck?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:53:30 -0500

Ditto here, I bought mine from Moss a few months ago and it broke in the 90
as I was trying to stretch it into place.  Stuck it into an envelope and
returned it to Moss and they replaced it, no questions.  This time I hooked
the 90 on the bracket first then stretched from the rounded end onto the
clutch arm, no problems yet.

I think that Moss must have gotten a bad batch, I would send them back. 

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS/30766L "Tarbaby"
'62 TR3B TCF/2549L " Aunt B"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"If you think you have everything under control... You're driving too slow"
M.Andretti

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:15 AM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] Clutch Slave Return Spring

     I am having a rough time with clutch return springs. The old spring
broke when I was taking it off to rebuild the clutch slave. It broke "in the
spring". I ordered two new ones from Moss so I would have a spare. This
morning I went to put the new spring in and it broke at the 90 on the spring
straight part. I was holding it on the the long straight part at the 90 when
it happened. No problem, I thought - I have a spare. When putting the second
try on the little hook didn't get in the hole. I was trying to work/walk it
in with a screwdriver and then it broke as well. Time to order some more
springs and re-think things. So much for motoring about this weekend.
     Is there
something I am missing on installing the spring? Is there an easier way to
do it? I am holding the long straight part up to the 90 and stretching it
out to get it in. I have done it many times before without issue. The spring
has broke by itself a couple of times over the last 20 years.

     What the heck?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]