Subject: [TR] TR3 starter motor

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:17:18 -0700 (PDT)

it would appear that there are a number of different assembly's of the early
TR3 bullet nose starter motors. how unusual! laugh
i have managed to
disassemble the actuator mechanism all the way down to the point where i want
to get the pinion off.
there is a fairly stiff washer holding it on. it seems
to be a 2 part washer with what the book may have called a caulked joint
holding both half's together.
having pushed the washer back against the stiff
spring i found a split ring in a grove on the shaft. removed the split ring
and thought the assembly should now come off but it appears to want to stay.
gave it a light tap with a small persuasion device but its refuses to move any
further.
are there more split rings? what am i missing?
Frank

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:41:15 -0400

I've seen 4 bullet nose starters besides my own 2, and they were all the 
same.

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 7/30/2012 1:17 PM, Frank Fisher wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:40:30 -0700

> are there more split rings? what am i missing?

It has been a long time, but seems like I vaguely recall that some of them
had another clip inside the back end of the barrel portion of the pinion.
You had to remove that clip to remove the pinion, and then access another
clip underneath the pinion to get the rest of the drive off.

-- Randall