Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Diff

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:49:40 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks.  I'll pass it along.

Dave

In a message dated 7/22/2012 10:31:48 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> It's a Detroit Locker limited slip diff.  Rare as hens teeth!

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: tom white <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:49:01 +0000

Hi List,

Does anyone know of any do it yourself media blasting equipment?  Has anyone
done any DIY media blasting?  Thanks.

Best regards,

Tom

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:44:34 +0000

I have a blast cabinet from harbor freight that works just fine, for small
stuff (up to the size of a wire wheel)  although their media is pricy.

As to big stuff, make sure you have a lot of space, far away from your house
and proper gear to keep it off you.

Soda blasting is all the rage, but all I can comment on is what a mess it
makes.

I sent my last project (AH 3000) to a specialist and had it back in 4 days for
$800 - money well spent.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of tom white
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 6:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Media blasting?

Hi List,

Best regards,

Tom

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:14:25 -0500

I have a nice cabinet that came from Eastwood, I think it was about $300.
It is molded plastic, very thick and sturdy and no leaks.   The only mod I
made was to add some extra lighting as the single bulb was not enough for my
old eyes.  I use the glass beads from HF, does a great job.

I agree with Jonas, why invest in the gear for the big job that you will
only use once or twice.  I just had my TR3 frame sandblasted, $180.00.  By
contrast, I use the cabinet all the time for all the little rusted bits on
the restoration, tools and garage sale finds.

NFI,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 9:45 AM
To: 'tom white'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Media blasting?

I sent my last project (AH 3000) to a specialist and had it back in 4 days
for $800 - money well spent.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of tom white
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 6:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Media blasting?

Hi List,

Best regards,

Tom

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:45:16 -0700

> done any DIY media blasting?

I also have one of the small cabinets from HF.  I wouldn't call it "fine",
but it does work more or less.  The gloves rotted out in a couple of years
and had to be replaced.  The replacements (also from HF) appear to be much
better quality, but I had to fashion a joint between them and the cuffs that
attach to the cabinet.  I had to add a light (18" fluorescent tube) in the
top as it didn't come with one.  The pressure hose to the gun also started
to rot and has been replaced.  The original gun was such a POS that I
replaced it as well, with one I got from JC Whitney some 30 years ago.

Takes a huge compressor to keep it running; my old single stage 20 gallon
"2.5hp" unit would only hold 90 psi for a minute or so, barely enough to get
started before I had to stop and wait for it to catch up.  I now use a
two-stage "7hp" compressor that lets me blast as long as I want.

When I finally get tired of nursing this little cabinet along, I'll probably
just build my own larger one from plywood.  Lots of plans on the Internet.
One pointer is to use some sort of cheap plastic sheet on the inside of the
window, so it can be easily replaced when it gets too cloudy.

Blasting without a cabinet makes a huge mess, I wouldn't recommend it inside
the city limits.  If you can hang up the parts and put a big sheet (plastic
or linen) underneath, you can capture some of the media for reuse, but
you'll still lose a lot, which will wind up on top of everything downwind.

-- Randall

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:10:48 -0400

Tom - I use a ALC suction style sandblasting unit for farm equipment
restoration and other related tasks. The tank holds about 50 lbs. of sand
and the unit requires at least a 5 h.p. compressor. I'm talking of a 5 h.p.,
1800 rpm compressor, not one of those "5" h.p. units that have a 3600 rpm
motor with a tiny 56 size frame. First, I will say that the novelty of sand
blasting wears off very quickly! Even with a hood that has its own forced
air supply, you have to expect sand to end up everywhere! Speaking of which,
you definitely need an air supplied hood or mask. Studies indicate that
inhaling lots of silica particles is not good for one's health. I usually
buy 100 lb. bags of medium sand blast sand for about $10/bag from a masonry
supply wholesaler. Also, it is slow. Cleaning the outside of a cast iron
wood burning stove might take the better part of an hour. If you have lots
of flaky rust, that must be chipped off first. I don't have a blast cabinet
for small parts, but that might nice to have down the road. Sand blasting
small parts in a New England winter outside just doesn't work.  Also
remember, once a steel/iron object is sand blasted, it will begin to show a
film of surface rust in just hours if it is a muggy day. Be sure to close
all open windows in the area if you are blasting in the open. I'm assuming
you have a good size property that will insulate your neighbors from the
sound and dust. Others have suggested hiring out the job - that's what I
have done on big projects. Have we scared you off yet?

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of tom white
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Media blasting?

Hi List,

Best regards,

Tom

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:09:01 -0600

I've got a blasting hood/helmet  for blasting outside if you're  
interested. Only used twice.  Ten bucks plus shipping and you too can  
be gasping for air.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
[email-masked]

On Jul 23, 2012, at 7:49 AM, tom white wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:47:50 -0400

I got a blast cabinet on special from Harbor Freight for about $170 with 
a coupon and a sale. Great deal, but hard to assemble by yourself. I've 
also got a small gun I use for fine stuff, as well as an independent gun 
I can haul where I need it.

Sometimes there's no other way than being able to do it yourself.

George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

On 7/23/2012 9:49 AM, tom white wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Cliff Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:47:27 -0600

Tom,

The only advice I would add to other the excellent posts is to also shop 
Tractor Supply if you decide to get one of the cheap home cabinets.  Same 
stuff as Harbor Freight but when I bought one, it was cheaper and shipped to 
my home for free.  Media is cheaper at Tractor Supply too.

I had the TR4A's frame sandblasted, and the tub and panels cleaned by a guy 
who uses plastic media.  I wouldn't try these at home unless you live on a 
farm, have a LOT of time and a really cheap source of appropriate media.

Cliff

-----Original Message----- 
From: tom white
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 7:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Media blasting?

Hi List,

Best regards,

Tom

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]