Subject: [TR] How Long to MC's Last

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 15:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

So I just rebuilt the clutch & brake master cylinders and the clutch
slave in my 1960 TR3A. I have only owned the car for 20 of its 52 years, so
lord only knows how many times this has been done before. I think that I have
done them four times, maybe more.
     How many times can they be rebuilt? It
is worth picking up spares on Ebay and maybe having them sleeved?     

There really isn't much swarf when I hone them out.
     When White Post or
Apple Hydraulics sleeve them with bronze or stainless, is the finish inside
mirror smooth the rubber piston seals won't abrade? If I had them sleeved, I
think that I would make a little polishing wheel and break out the jeweler's
rouge and polish them mirror smooth. I would do it with my old original ones
except that there are some old pits in them from long before I bought the car
for $300.
     Just curious. While it is fresh in my mind I may start picking
up parts for the next time I have to do these.

     -Bill in Tehachapi

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:43:10 -0700

>      How many times can they be rebuilt?

Depends greatly on how much metal you have to remove when you hone them.  At
some point, the bore becomes so large that even new seals won't fill it.

Don't use them with visible pits in the area where the seal rides.  The pits
will quickly wear out the sealing edge.

-- Randall

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 06:37:33 -0700

Hydraulic systems last longer if they are used than if they just set.  
Water is the enemy.  It is absorbed by normal hydraulic fluids and 
attack the metals from inside.  Most references I've seen recommend 
draining the hydraulic fluid every 18 months and flushed with alcohol 
before pouring fresh fluid in.  You should be using a low moisture 
absorbing (LMA) brake fluid.  Changing the fluid is the secret to going 
a long time between rebuilds on a vehicle you are using.

You can rebuild them over and over again unless you get oxidation pits 
that you can not polish out. When they wear out, get them sleeved so 
they will not pit and they should last forever.

TeriAnn