Subject: [TR] Horn issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:21:49 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to troubleshoot weak or no sound from the horns on my very stock
1976 TR6.  My shop manual describes an adjustment procedure, but I don't
believe that adjustment is my problem (and as usual, my horns don't have the
described adjustment screw).  I am getting approximately 6 volts at the horn
connection.  I suspect that I have some corrosion issue or a failing relay,
but before I contine to scuttle downj useless paths, I wanted to determine if
6v was the proper voltage at the horns.  As I continued to press and release
the horn button, I got more response from the horns as if something was
gradually releasing, but then blew the fuse.  I looked in the archives, but
did not find this specific information.  If someone has experience in this
area, I would appreciate it.
Regards,
David Gill
1976 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:23:40 -0700

> I wanted to determine if
> 6v was the proper voltage at the horns. 

Nope, should be 12v at the horns.

> As I continued to press and release
> gradually releasing, but then blew the fuse.

I would try getting the voltage at the horns up first, as low voltage can
cause exactly those symptoms.  Because of the way they work, horns can
actually draw more current if the voltage is low (especially if one was not
sounding at all).  It's possible that one or both of the horns is bad, but
not likely I think (and you'll need to repair the electrical stuff anyway
even if you do wind up replacing the horns).

-- Randall

---

From: "Greg Gelhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:28:40 -0500

I have found the fuse holder to be the problem. A corroded fuse clip will 
add sufficient resistance to keep the horns from working. Resistance will 
make for a hot connection and that may have "melted" your fuse.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2012 1:21 PM
Subject: [TR] Horn issues

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]