Subject: [TR] vacuum advance thumbscrew

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:47:10 -0700 (PDT)

I've read some place that a complete 360 turn on the distributor vacuum
advance thumbscrew (tr-3 motor) equals 8 degrees of either advance or retard,
whichever is needed.  If I've set up everything TDC compression stroke,
pointer on hole in pulley.................(thumbscrew set in middle of its
range................then I simply turn thumbscrew half a turn advance
direction and I'm all set for start-up?

Just checking to be sure.  Getting
ready for initial start up here.

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:19:44 -0500

I've heard the same.. and have read it as well.
What you are describing sounds like static ignition timing 101 right from the
manual..

On Jul 7, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:29:03 -0700

> direction and I'm all set for start-up?

Nope.  I forget the exact number offhand (although I've posted it before),
but it takes more than one turn to get even 4 degrees of advance.  Look at
the marks on the advance unit instead, they are 4 (crankshaft) degrees
apart.

-- Randall

---

From: "WBEECH" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:44:26 -0500

Honestly I don't use the thumbscrew, I just set up a light and get as close
to 4 degrees BTDC as I can.  This will get it started just fine then you put
a timing light on it and fine tune with the thumbscrew from there.

The manual says that one mark on the wheel adjustment gauge is 4 degrees,
doesn't say how many turns it takes to get there.

Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gary Nafziger
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2012 3:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] vacuum advance thumbscrew

I've read some place that a complete 360 turn on the distributor vacuum
advance thumbscrew (tr-3 motor) equals 8 degrees of either advance or
retard, whichever is needed.  If I've set up everything TDC compression
stroke, pointer on hole in pulley.................(thumbscrew set in middle
of its range................then I simply turn thumbscrew half a turn
advance direction and I'm all set for start-up?

gary n.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]