Subject: [TR] brake fluid

From: Pete Arakelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:05:12 -0700

I have previously checked with TRW, the current manufacturer of Girling
cylinders about the silicone issue.  There response was that the cylinders are
designed to meet OE spec's which call for non-silicone fluid.  They therefore
will not warranty a failure if non-spec fluid is used.
Also Castrol/Girling LMA fluid is a synthetic fluid - always has been.  They
only recently started putting that on the bottles - I checked on that too.

Peter Arakelian - 71 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

as stated in my previous mail, i know there is no warranty.
but will
Castrol/Girling LMA synthetic fluid still take the paint off the parts it
touches? 
i think yes.
also why would you not produce "new" spec parts.
wont a
new spec part work for all fluiffs?
and as the rubber parts are hidden well
away from the eye, one would not notice even if one where smart enough to be
able to tell the difference.
Frank

From: Pete Arakelian
<[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:05 AM
Subject: [TR]
brake fluid

I have previously checked with TRW, the current manufacturer of
Girling
cylinders about the silicone issue.  There response was that the
cylinders are
designed to meet OE spec's which call for non-silicone fluid. 
They therefore
will not warranty a failure if non-spec fluid is used.
Also
Castrol/Girling LMA fluid is a synthetic fluid - always has been.  They
only
recently started putting that on the bottles - I checked on that too.

Peter
Arakelian - 71 TR6

Donate:
http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:06:49 -0700

> but will
> Castrol/Girling LMA synthetic fluid still take the paint off the parts
> it touches?

Yes.  As Peter said, it is not actually any different than before, Castrol
(and other fluid manufacturers) have simply added the word "Synthetic" to
the label; apparently because many consumers believe that synthetic is
better.  But in fact, no brake fluid is based on petroleum at all, so they
are all "synthetic" and always have been, it just didn't say so on the label
before.

Besides, Castrol won a court case saying, in effect, that any petroleum
product that comes from a modern refinery is "synthetic" and can be sold as
such.

> also why would you not produce "new" spec parts.

Because if you update the specifications, you have to do expensive,
complicated tests to ensure that the new specification parts work under all
circumstances.  In addition, there is a significant additional legal
liability, in case someone claims that your new specifications are deficient
in some way.

Unless you have customers willing to pay many times the price (remember we
are a very limited market) for parts with updated specifications; it simply
does not make financial sense to do so.

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:53:30 -0400

If "synthetic" fluids are not based on petroleum, then what are they based
on?  I always thought synthetic meant polymerized from monomers to some
very specific structure rather than simple mineral oil with little
modification. The base of most monomers is still petroleum. Maybe natural
gas.  Tiny amounts from renewable bio-based sources. Yes, synthetic sounds
good these days, though.

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Thursday, May 31, 2012, Randall wrote:

> ** [email-masked] <javascript:;> **
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]