Subject: [TR] Problems with my SU HS-6 carburetor(s)

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 21:35:38 -0400

Hi List,
Well, I thought I was well on my way to finishing up the rebuild of my two SU
HS-6 carburetors on my TR4A IRS when I received the new SM needles..
I switched out the needle on the rear carburetor and no problems. I removed
the needle from the front carburetor piston and when I laid it down next to
the old one from the rear carburetor, In noticed it was about a quarter of an
inch shorter than the rear one!! It got worse when I installed the new SM
needle in the front carburetor piston and then dropped the piston back into
the front carburetor and it stuck about 3/4 of the way down. I didn't want to
force it down so off came the carburetors again.. I posted some pictures on my
website in the carburetor rebuild page but the long and short of it is that it
seems the needle is not centered in the hole for the main jet! I am not sure
what to try next. I think in the morning I will try and put a square next to
the needle in the piston and see if the hole is perpendicular to the base of
the piston. The needles are brand new and look straight.
If there is anybody out there that has rebuilt HS-6 carburetors, please take a
look at the pictures on my website and see what you think. If you need more
pictures let me know.
The website is http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a  In the nav panel go to Check my
Progress and click on the HS-6 link at the top. Scoll down to the bottom for
the pictures of the needles and main jet holes.

Thanks,
Dave Connitt

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "ptegler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 00:06:09 -0400

...what did you use to center the main jet body?
there are alignment tools that you place in the needle mount that sticks 
down into the jet so when you tighten the nut the jet guide tube is centered 
in the body.

Paul Tegler
[email-masked]
www.teglerizer.com

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 9:35 PM
Subject: [TR] Problems with my SU HS-6 carburetor(s)

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]