Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 stalling at idle

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 21:16:03 -0400

You might be right, and you're on the right track, but my guess is the fuel
is boiling (or nearly) in the bowls themselves.  Check your float level
setting and if its not at the highest end of the specified range (making
for lowest fuel level in the bowl) set it there or maybe even a little
higher (lower bowl fuel level) if the setting it at the extreme end of the
range doesn't work.  If you change it much you may have to readjust your
jets to correct the mixture, a lower level in the bowl will mean a leaner
mixture.  Lowering the level in the bowl makes it harder for the fuel to
run run up through the jet and into the manifold.  Also, you could look at
replacing your carb insulating mounts with some of the newer ones
advertised to be better insulators than the old ones.  I had a friend who
did this with good results.

I've had this problem more with Strombergs than SUs (my experiences is on
TR4As), maybe the separate bowl on the SUs stays cooler, but don't really
know.  Regardless, if this doesn't work you're on the right track of
reducing heat to the fuel/carbs.

Ben......

Quoted Message:

Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 10:21:52 -0400
From: "David Soknacki" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR6 stalling at idle
Message-ID: <
[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hi List!

Am I the only TR6 driver who turns off his engine when stopped at red lights
in hot weather? I do it because otherwise my engine sputters to a stall.
This happens only when the engine and ambient temperature are hot. I have a
stock engine, and have been using regular gas since I bought the car in
2003.

My guess that the gas is boiling on its way to the carburetors. Is that
right?

I first thought that I might fix the problem by installing one of those
stainless heat shields next to the carburetors, but no luck.

So what to do?
- buy premium gas?
- put in a gas additive?
- wrapping or coating the manifold?

Many thanks for your advice.

David Soknacki
74 TR6
CF22072U

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]