Subject: [TR] Oil for K & N Air Filters

From: "Daehler, William F" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:28:00 +0000

I just installed my K & N air filters on my Triumph to improve the show
quality (read as more 'shiny chrome' ).

Reading the fine print, there is a special oil requirement.  Hmmm, I already
have special oil for my SU dampers, special oil for my Armstrong rear shocks,
20 W 50 ZDDP racing oil for the engine, transmission oil and 90 W hypoid oil
for the differential.  Also I have special oil for my air compressor and a
special detergent free oil for my air tools.  I love this hobby, but not sure
if I am a vintage car enthusiast or an oil collector.

Any chance that this K & N oil is something very ordinary, but just rebottled
and then over-priced accordingly?

Will Daehler
'63 TR4 Powder Blue

*****************************************************************************
*********** Note: If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.
*****************************************************************************
***********

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:19:13 -0400

Not sure what they take, but I know they come oiled, so you can put it on
your "I'll worry about it next year" list !

But I'd be interested in seeing what people say, as I too have just
installed them on a car.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Daehler, William F
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Oil for K & N Air Filters

Reading the fine print, there is a special oil requirement.  Hmmm, I already
have special oil for my SU dampers, special oil for my Armstrong rear
shocks,
20 W 50 ZDDP racing oil for the engine, transmission oil and 90 W hypoid oil
for the differential.  Also I have special oil for my air compressor and a
special detergent free oil for my air tools.  I love this hobby, but not
sure
if I am a vintage car enthusiast or an oil collector.

Any chance that this K & N oil is something very ordinary, but just
rebottled
and then over-priced accordingly?

Will Daehler
'63 TR4 Powder Blue

****************************************************************************
*
*********** Note: If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.
****************************************************************************
*
***********

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:36:23 -0700

What I recently got (arrived yesterday)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160798963390?item=160798963390&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Seemed to be the best deal all-around.  No idea if there is something
already on the shelf that I could have used.

Geo

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Daehler, William F <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 13:35:22 -0500

if I'm not mistaken, that "special oil" won't be needed for 50 k miles.  I 
didn't worry about it!

---

From: "Lee Daniels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:11:08 -0500

The answer to "do they come pre-oiled" is right on the K&N web site "FAQ"
page, question number 10:

10. Do K&N air filters come pre-oiled or must they be oiled before using?

Almost all K&N air filters come pre-oiled and ready to use.  The filter oil we
use is red.  A new oiled filter will appear red-pink in color.  Some crankcase
vent air filters come unoiled, however, they come with a small packet of K&N
filter oil so they can be oiled before use.  There are also a limited number
of filters with specialty uses which are not pre-oiled.  These items will be
clearly marked as unoiled.  Using an unoiled K&N filter will greatly reduce
the filter's efficiency and void our product warranty on filters that come
pre-oiled from the factory.  If you receive a filter that is packaged in its
cellophane wrapper and is unoiled, contact K&N's Customer Support department
at (800) 858-3333.

(see http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#10 )

So the real answer is "Maybe"...

 Lee