Subject: [TR] Valve lash adjustment procedureTriumph TR6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 19:13:11 -0500 (CDT)

I am trying to coordinate a british car shop to do a valve lash adjustment on my 1972 Triumph TR6.

After reviewing the procedure, and then reading some forum and the Buckeye Triumph site, I just want to get clarification.

Is it absolutely necessary for the car to be totally cold (some said 24 hours) before the adjustment is done, or is their no problem (if the people know what they are doing) with waiting a reasonable amount of time and then doing the adjustment?

I have had the car many years and do not think this has been done for many years.

Any input appreciated.

Craig 
1972 Triumph TR6
Vienna, VA

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 19:07:13 -0600

Drop it off at the shop in the morning, have them do it in the afternoon 
and pick
it that evening.  Waiting 24 hours is not necessary, in my opinion.

Maybe someday I'll measure the clearance on a warm engine that comes in,
then again the next morning, see if there is any significant difference.

mjb.

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 22:10:02 -0400

I agree with Mark's suggestion. Here's another situation. Some engines, such
as older IH Farmalls, are listed with a hot clearance. That doesn't help
much on an engine being assembled for the first time. I used to find that a
cold adjustment with about 0.003" added to the hot spec. seemed to be just
about right.

Now, I wonder what we would have to do in an unheated garage in Siberia
during winter??

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 8:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Valve lash adjustment procedureTriumph TR6

I am trying to coordinate a british car shop to do a valve lash adjustment
on my 1972 Triumph TR6.

After reviewing the procedure, and then reading some forum and the Buckeye
Triumph site, I just want to get clarification.

Is it absolutely necessary for the car to be totally cold (some said 24
hours) before the adjustment is done, or is their no problem (if the people
know what they are doing) with waiting a reasonable amount of time and then
doing the adjustment?

I have had the car many years and do not think this has been done for many
years.

Any input appreciated.

Craig 
1972 Triumph TR6
Vienna, VA

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]