Subject: [TR] What should I look for in a good welding helmet?

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:05:36 -0700

I've got a great deal on a MIG welder from Sears/ Craftsman. It came with a
mickey mouse hand-held visor. I'd like to get a good one.
What should I look for? For ones that say auto-darkening should I look for
a number or some spec?

Sujit

-- 
Sujit Roy, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty, Cupertino, CA
(408) 839-8359
roysrealty.com

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 19:50:58 +0000

I fiddled with a cheap helmet for years, and the quality of my welding
improved 10000000% when I purchased a good auto-darkening one.

Don't waste your time on anything else - it will be the best $ you ever spend
on tools.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Sujit Roy
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 12:06 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] What should I look for in a good welding helmet?

I've got a great deal on a MIG welder from Sears/ Craftsman. It came with a
mickey mouse hand-held visor. I'd like to get a good one.
What should I look for? For ones that say auto-darkening should I look for a
number or some spec?

Sujit

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 21:17:42 -0400

Several thoughts. I never thought I would have an auto-darkening shield but
a gift is a gift. They do work great, especially if you are under a piece of
equipment and there just isn't room to flip the whole shield up and down. I
have found that the models with an on/off switch can be a nuisance. If not
used after 10 minutes, they automatically shut off and that is a real
dazzling experience when you strike the arc.  Make sure to get one with
adjustable shade - maybe 9 through 12. Some of the auto-darkening assemblies
have a small viewing field - similar to the older 2 x 4.25 size shields.
Those may be difficult for those with glasses, especially bi-focals. I used
to use, and still do at times, a traditional shield with the 4.5x5.25 size
plate. Sometimes that extra field of vision is real helpful. Another thing I
noticed with auto-darkening shields is that the sensitivity can vary with
distance. I resisted using them in my welding class at school because the
shields would not darken if you looked at an arc more than 5 feet distant.
That scared me! But that is probably not an issue in your own shop. You also
can get an auto-darkening insert if you already have a 4.5x5.25 plate size
shield. Somebody else mentioned that a comfortable, light design is
important - absolutely true. Also, purchase a shield for which you can get
replacement head bands. I still prefer to buy welding supplies from a
welding supplier. The shield that I have is an ARC ONE made in Taunton Mass.
In a recent survey, more than 98% of the respondents suggested that your
eyes are important to protect!

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sujit Roy
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:06 PM
To: Triumphs
Subject: [TR] What should I look for in a good welding helmet?

Sujit

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]