Subject: [TR] TR6 stalling at idle

From: "David Soknacki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 10:21:52 -0400

Hi List!

Am I the only TR6 driver who turns off his engine when stopped at red lights
in hot weather? I do it because otherwise my engine sputters to a stall.
This happens only when the engine and ambient temperature are hot. I have a
stock engine, and have been using regular gas since I bought the car in
2003. 

My guess that the gas is boiling on its way to the carburetors. Is that
right?

I first thought that I might fix the problem by installing one of those
stainless heat shields next to the carburetors, but no luck.

So what to do?
- buy premium gas?
- put in a gas additive?
- wrapping or coating the manifold? 

Many thanks for your advice.

David Soknacki
74 TR6
CF22072U

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 07:36:16 -0700

Hi David,

What is your normal idle speed?  Have you tried bumping it up a bit?

Is it hard to start after shutting it down?  I would think a fuel boiling issue would make restart very difficult.

-Darrell

-- 
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 10:19:35 -0500

David,
Your engine will continue to build heat after shutting in down.  If I am in
that situation, usually a parade, I will try to keep the revs up at 1500-2000
to get a little more coolant through the motor.

Sent from mobile Bill

On May 26, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Darrell Walker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:20:55 -0400

David,

How hot is it outside?

  I have never experienced this problem on my 72. But I did install 
Hitachi SU HS6 carbs to avoid the diaphram problems with the ZS 175s. My 
idle is constant around 800 RPM no matter how cold or hot it is outside. 
Once I got the engine all set up last year, it has run like I would 
expect a rebuilt engine with new carbs and distributor.

Have you checked your diaphrams? Oil in the dampers? Timing? P.lug 
condition?

Bob

BTW, I use the midgrade 89 octane in all my Triumphs. On 05/26/2012

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 19:28:50 -0700

> stainless heat shields next to the carburetors, but no luck.

If adding a heat shield made no difference, then I suspect you have some
other problem.  I'd be looking for a leaky float valve, or the fuel pressure
being a bit too high, or perhaps a plastic float that has started to absorb
ethanol.

-- Randall