Subject: [TR] TR3A Turn Indicator

From: David Willett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:02:50 -0400

Help! The turn indicator mechanism on my steering wheel seems to have seized
up and won't engage for a right hand turn; I suspect one of the little
doo-hickies has got displaced.  My shop manual does not show how to access the
inside of the steering head. I seem to remember long ago when I assembled it
somebody loaned me a VHS tape showing how to take it all apart. Or is there a
website I could look at? Please don't tell me I have to disassemble the
steering column!

Thanks in advance.

Dave
David Willett
[email-masked]
Ph: 905 468 0608

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:51:54 -0700

> Or is there a website I could look at?

There is a Word document you can download at
http://goo.gl/j8CIs

> Please don't tell me I have to disassemble the
> steering column!

Only a little bit.  Start by pulling the column sub-harness out of its clip
on the inner fender, so you can get a few inches of slack in front of the
steering box (more if you have an adjustable steering column).  Then undo
the 3 small slotted-head set screws in the hub of the steering wheel.  That
should let you pull the control head away from the steering wheel, pulling
the wires along with it, far enough to turn it over and see the back.  

If the wires don't want to slide through the tube though (mine seem to be
glued in place by the pulling lubricant I used to get them there), you may
have to disconnect the sub-harness from the main harness (by the driver's
side horn), then remove the nut and gland at the front of the steering box.
Put something underneath to catch the oil (if any) as it drips out.  Then
pull the entire stator tube (with the wires still inside) out through the
steering wheel.  Don't forget to refill the steering box after it's all back
together.

Personally, I like to first remove the 3 flat head screws that are accessed
through the holes in the round metal plate, but the way shown in the
document above will work fine too.

I meant to write an article on re-assembly, but never did it.  There are
some photos that might help at
http://goo.gl/5Td0H

-- Randall

---

From: David Ljung Madison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:36:43 -0700

> My shop manual does not show how to access the inside of the steering head.

Here are some photos that will help you remove it, that plus 
Randall's photos showing the internals of the control head should be 
all you need:

http://triumph.Daveola.com/Album/Horn-Removal/

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Ljung Madison          http://GetDave.com/                415.341.5555
--- "Why don't we take a vote?" I suggested.                           ----
    "No!" said David. "That's not fair because the majority will win!"