Subject: [TR] winshield "tape"

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:30:29 -0700 (PDT)

Someone on the list several days ago mentioned a 3M tape that worked for him
on installing a tr-3 windshield.  He called it...............3M EPR Tape. 
I've asked for it at the local NAPA store and they didn't know what I was
talking about.  I also got on the 3M web site and found various tapes but
nothing specifically described as EPR.  Just wondering if there was another
part number to go by?
I'm working with the material I got from TRF for the
windshield but so far am scared to death I'll break the glass with the present
stuff.  Just seems it'll take way to much force to get the windshield in the
frame.  

thanks!

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 04:33:05 -0700

> stuff.  Just seems it'll take way to much force to get the windshield in the
There are certain jobs that go easy and quickly if performed by people 
who do it all the time.  Jobs that can take a long time to do for a 
first timer or someone who does it once a decade or lest often.  Jobs 
with a fairly high chance of ruining something or not quite getting it 
right but being committed.

I put installing window glass in that category.  So I had a glass shop 
install the glass for both my vehicles.  No fuss no sticky goo 
everywhere.  I figure part of the restoration process is knowing what to 
farm out to the people who do that type of thing all the time and do it 
well.

Teriann

---

From: Bob Rochlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:26:25 +0000

Gary, The product is called 3M Strip Tape, part number 051135-08578.Bob

> Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:30:29 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [TR] winshield "tape"
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: William Pugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:31:11 -0700

What She said !!!  My windshield install cost $25.00, certainly cheaper than a
new Windshield.

On May 18, 2012, at 4:33 AM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman wrote:

> There are certain jobs that go easy and quickly if performed by people who
do it all the time.  Jobs that can take a long time to do for a first timer or
someone who does it once a decade or lest often.  Jobs with a fairly high
chance of ruining something or not quite getting it right but being
committed.
> I put installing window glass in that category.  So I had a glass shop
install the glass for both my vehicles.  No fuss no sticky goo everywhere.  I
figure part of the restoration process is knowing what to farm out to the
people who do that type of thing all the time and do it well.
> Teriann

Bill Pugh
1957 TR3 "Casper"
TS16765L
Wallace, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:34:15 -0700 (PDT)

gary
i silicone sealed mine and my buddies in place.
here is how i did it.
i
cut pieces of electrical tape 3/4" long.
i positioned them on the edge of the
glass so that 1/4" was on the front, 1/4" wrapped around the edge and the
other 1/4 was on the back.
i placed 5 across the top and bottom and 2 up the
sides.
i kept adding layers of tape until the thickness was just an easy but
tight fit into the frame.
then clean the inside and edges of glass with
lacquer thinner.
assemble the frame around the glass and center the glass in
the frame.
check that the top tenex wont interfere and the side screws wont
touch.
apply masking tape in a few areas so that the glass wont move in the
frame now.
for ease of clean up later, i wiped the frame carefully on the
outside with a tiny amount of polishing wax.
i then pumped black silicone
caulking into the joint between the glass and the frame.
when caulking the
correct method is to "push" the caulk bead, not pull it.
by that i mean when
you place the caulking gun at the joint you will have it laying back at about
30 degrees to the surface. when you start to pump the caulking out of the gun
the bead of caulk will be behind the way you are moving the gun. if you look
only at the tip of the caulk you will see a little bubble form. the trick to
caulking is to keep that little bubble the same the whole time you are pushing
the caulk. those of us who have been in glazing for a while can push a bead
that requires no clean up. you will probably make a mess.
don't try to clean
up the mess. wait 2 days and then clean off with a sharp razor..carefully so
as not to scratch the glass.
the frame you waxed will let the sealant peal off
by hand.
 
after 2 days you can flip the frame over and do the other side.

you should use a good quality silicone sealant. you cant get good quality at
the box stores, they are all siliconized.
best stuff is Dow 795 or tremco
silpruf. can be obtained in tubes from crlawrence.com
i have a tube at home
that has about 3 months of shelf life left that i probably wont use. im happy
to ship it to you if you decide to go this way.
Frank 

From: Gary Nafziger
<[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:30 PM
Subject: [TR] winshield "tape"

Someone
on the list several days ago mentioned a 3M tape that worked for him
on
installing a tr-3 windshield.  He called it...............3M EPR Tape. 
I've
asked for it at the local NAPA store and they didn't know what I was
talking
about.  I also got on the 3M web site and found various tapes but
nothing
specifically described as EPR.  Just wondering if there was another
part
number to go by?
I'm working with the material I got from TRF for the
windshield but so far am scared to death I'll break the glass with the present
stuff.  Just seems it'll take way to much force to get the windshield in the
frame.  

thanks!

gary n.

Donate:
http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 17:01:03 +0000 (UTC)

There was a discussion about a while back (years) and the general thoughts
were that there are various thicknesses of "tape" available and the pros have
a wider availability than we have.B  There's probably some variation of
thickness of glass and rechroming the frame will alter the gap,etc.

So checking with a pro about the different thicknesses could help if you still
want to do it yourself..

My 2 cents worth comes in before you install the glass.B  I think historically
we all installed the glass then the tenax pegs along the top edge and IF they
were too long, we cracked our windshields and got to start all over
again....ask me how I know......so the second time I installed the tenax pegs
first and if they were too long, I used my cut off wheel and ground them to
the proper length from the inside of the frame....nice and tight and no
guessing...on another note, I think the glass probably shouldn't slide up as
far as the pegs anyway, but that's hard to stop if the glass starts to move
when you're installing the lower portion....

Tom

60 TR3A

61 TR3A

62 TR4

73 Stag

----- Original Message -----

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 7:33:05 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] winshield "tape"

On 5/17/12 3:30 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> stuff. B Just seems it'll take way to much force to get the windshield in
the
There are certain jobs that go easy and quickly if performed by people
who do it all the time. B Jobs that can take a long time to do for a
first timer or someone who does it once a decade or lest often. B Jobs
with a fairly high chance of ruining something or not quite getting it
right but being committed.

I put installing window glass in that category. B So I had a glass shop
install the glass for both my vehicles. B No fuss no sticky goo
everywhere. B I figure part of the restoration process is knowing what to
farm out to the people who do that type of thing all the time and do it
well.

Teriann

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 11:32:33 -0700

> What She said !!!  My windshield install cost $25.00, certainly cheaper

Ditto, but that was a long, long time ago.  I carried the glass and the
frame into a "auto glass" shop down the street.  They installed the glass
into the frame (using a rubber strip that they supplied).  As I recall, the
charge was $15 (in 1977 or so dollars).

More recently, I got a quote of $150 for insurance purposes.

-- Randall