Subject: Re: [TR] Brake Fluid?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:05:47 -0500 (CDT)

Joe is quite correct as usual.
Even after a wipe down...then leaving a layer of Brak-kleen on the surface, does not seem to clear all traces of Silicon fluid.

In a paint shop even opening a tube of silicon sealer near a car being prepe'ed will get most flunkies kicked out of a shop!

 Paul Tegler 
[email-masked] 
www.teglerizer.com

On 05/31/12, Joe Curry wrote:

I can say without hesitation that PPG's Acryli-clean will not remove the DOT
5 silicon fluid remnants sufficiently to prevent fisheyes from forming. I
learned this when I converted Tiny Tim from an autocross car to a street
rod.

I have been told that one of the only things that will remove it is to use a
lot of powdered cleanser, water and elbow grease.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:42 AM
To: 'Dave'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Brake Fluid?

> but if you ever need to paint that area in the
> future, you
> will have a really difficult time cleaning all the DOT 5 off the
> surface
> enough to keep the new paint from fisheyeing.

However, there are products available specifically to address this problem.
One such is PPG DX330 "Acryli-Clean", which is a solvent specifically
designed to remove silicone and silicone-bearing products (like the "hot
wax" available at many car washes). Seems to work well for me.

Another problem that I have noticed is that it is easy to wind up with
microscopic drops of silicone floating around in the air. You need either
really good ventilation, or to do the painting in an area away from where
you did the preparation.

I'm a big fan of DOT 5, been using it for many years in all my Triumphs. It
has not totally eliminated all my hydraulic problems; but I do believe it
has greatly reduced them. It is absolutely non-corrosive and actually helps
protect metal surfaces; while DOT 3/4 is actively corrosive if it doesn't
get changed on a regular basis (whether you drive the car or not). With DOT
5, you'll never find a sight like this one:

http://goo.gl/rJXMw

-- Randall 

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]