Subject: Re: [TR] Oil for K & N Air Filters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:49:35 -0500 (CDT)

Will, can't answer that question but I can tell you that the money you save from not replacing paper filters on a regular basis will more than offset the price of their oil and cleaner.

I have used my two cans for several years at this point, and they both are still have full.  It takes very little cleaner and oil to get them ready to go.

Just one man's opinion.

Craig 
1972 Triumph TR6

On 05/17/12, Daehler, William F<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
I just installed my K & N air filters on my Triumph to improve the show
quality (read as more 'shiny chrome' ).

Reading the fine print, there is a special oil requirement. Hmmm, I already
have special oil for my SU dampers, special oil for my Armstrong rear shocks,
20 W 50 ZDDP racing oil for the engine, transmission oil and 90 W hypoid oil
for the differential. Also I have special oil for my air compressor and a
special detergent free oil for my air tools. I love this hobby, but not sure
if I am a vintage car enthusiast or an oil collector.

Any chance that this K & N oil is something very ordinary, but just rebottled
and then over-priced accordingly?

Will Daehler
'63 TR4 Powder Blue

*****************************************************************************
*********** Note: If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.
*****************************************************************************
***********

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:44:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hello, everyone.  Some time ago, I replaced the old metal strand/oil impregnated air filters on my '59 TR3A with paper filters.  Can't remember the brand I bought, but they were round with a flat shiny metal (not chrome) front and back plate.  Thing is, they didn't fit well, bumped into the fuel lines.

I'm not looking for expensive, just a quality paper filter.  

Recommendations?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:48:55 -0700

> Can't remember the brand I bought, but they were 
> round with a flat shiny metal (not chrome) front and back 
> plate.  Thing is, they didn't fit well, bumped into the fuel lines.

I think the round ones are NLA.  But the oval ones from a TR4A fit about as
well and are readily available from the usual suspects.  TRF has a 4-pack of
them under the P/N LUF8277/4 for $34

-- Randall

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:49:40 -0600

I put a pair of Joe Alexander's velocity stacks on my TR6 recently  
along with his very nice covers which filter out the big chunks of  
debris.

Wanting a little more protection and filtering I went looking for  
something to put over the stack covers when I'm not rodding it.  What  
I found was that the cloth drain covers for my hot tub fit nicely with  
enough resistance to not come off when at highway speed.

Don't know how much filtering goes on but it's at least more than  
before and I can just shake them out when I need to and not mess with  
a lot of maintenance.  My oil may get a little dirtier but the engine  
sure hums with the velocity stacks.  I may test a few different types  
of material (sponge, etc.) to put between the stack covers and the  
drain cover just to see what  gets caught. Still looking for that fine  
line between flow and filtering. I like power but not replacing rings.

For those with Joe's velocity stacks or just interested:   Part Name/ 
Number:   Sundance Spas Drain Cover 6540-213.  They are approx. 4 3/4  
inches diameter and stretch just a wee bit.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:03:48 +0100 (BST)

Two? Three? weeks ago, there was some active email exchanges on the merits of
KN versus other filter types - and I don't intend to re-open that thread. That
said, there were a number of issues raised about filter evolution and why some
were better than others etc etc. Personally, I felt a number of opinions
(while respected by me) were approaching the subject from the wrong direction
with the result that a few blind alleys got opened up and even more was
inconclusive.
Liz and I were away from home soon after the earlier thread
closed but in the hopes of better informing myself, I took quite a number of
ancient notebooks out of my archive together with another pile of production
reports from Standard-Triumph - and used some of our leisure time in the land
of The Single Malt, to have a mosey through those dusty pages. The task was
even more pleasurable because I'd availed myself of an especially good one
from a distillery just down the road!
While not answering many of the
questions the thread raised, I now have a fascinating insight into the
evolution of the air filter on the run-of-the-mill LBC. It goes right back to
WW2, the Western Desert conflict, manufacturer ignorance combined with
arrogance - and lousy quality oil. I'm now in the process of typing up my
findings and while it'll be much too large to appear here, I'll be happy to
let others have it who may be interested?
Having said that, I'm very aware
I've yet to send out the story I offered some weeks ago of where the rust on
your Triumph (probably) started. Quite a number of people wrote in requesting
a copy and it'll be on its way very soon. The reason for the delay is I'd
somehow managed to wipe the pictures I'd taken from my hard disk and had to go
out again to take new ones. Those got wiped from the camera - so I had to go
yet again.
Let me know off list if you want an 'Air Filter' story (not
illustrated) or a 'Where My Triumph Started To Rust' story (with pix) - or
both.
Jonmac