Subject: Re: [TR] K & N air filters

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:16:30 -0700

The one I just got appears to be oiled...

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/VW/KN.jpg

Not for a TR... I prefer to not use them on those engines but for my rear
engine vehicle that sees a lot of dusty mountain roads I thought it might
make good sense.

Geo

----- Reply message -----
From: "Dennis Culligan" <[email-masked]>

> No new K & N air filter I have ever seen is pre-oiled. The oil is red so
> you
> can tell if you've completely covered the entire surface area.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 17:09:17 -0700

> engine vehicle that sees a lot of dusty mountain roads I thought it might
Say what????????????

For an off road vehicle your #1 choice should be an oil bath filter.

Your #2 choice should be a spinning prefilter in front of a paper filter 
(think Donaldson earth mover 2 stage filter systems)
Your #3 choice a box of paper filters
Your last choice before no filter would be an oiled foam filter such as 
a K&N. A k&N will filter out low flying birds, rocks, gum wrappers, 
small children, but not fine dust.  Them folks who get paid to race off 
road with K&N filters completely rebuild the engine after each race. 
Breaths really well but foam filters do not filter out fine dust. You 
can use one as a first stage to a 2 stage filter system but they are not 
as good as the spinner 2 stage systems.

Teriann
TR3 with itg oiled foam filter
Land Rover with Donaldson 2 stage earth mover type filter system