Subject: [TR] more harness

From: Gary Nafziger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

I'm slowly working my way through installing wiring harness (tr-3) and have
received great help already from the list.  I have one concern left, and
that's when I finish and want to connect the battery and test the system.  I'm
afraid one little mistake I might have made could burn up the new harness or
even a small part of it.
Is there a safe way to test portions of it first or
does one just turn on the power and wait for possible smoke?  I've basically
been very careful about transferring the new wires to the old guages/switches
on the dash section and also using the old harness as a model to connect the
new wires to control box/fuse box and other parts; along with diligent
reviewing of a wiring diagram every step of the way.
I'm fairly confident
things will work out ok at the time of switching on but just wondered if
others who've "been there" have any advice on using the electrical system for
the first time.

thanks

gary n.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:10:03 -0500

Instead of the battery, hook up a 2amp charger to the system.  This will
give you enough power to check the smaller lights and other items.  Of
course you can't start it and the horns will just burp.

Another safety valve is to put in low amperage fuses 5 or 10 amp to start
with while you check things out.  Again, you might blow a fuse with your
headlights, but it should be let everything else run and still blow before
you cook the wires. 

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS30766L "Tarbaby"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Hello, my name is Bill and I own an old British car.  Now...What are the
next 11 steps?"

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gary Nafziger
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] more harness

I'm slowly working my way through installing wiring harness (tr-3) and have
received great help already from the list.  I have one concern left, and
that's when I finish and want to connect the battery and test the system.
I'm afraid one little mistake I might have made could burn up the new
harness or even a small part of it.
Is there a safe way to test portions of it first or does one just turn on
the power and wait for possible smoke?  I've basically been very careful
about transferring the new wires to the old guages/switches on the dash
section and also using the old harness as a model to connect the new wires
to control box/fuse box and other parts; along with diligent reviewing of a
wiring diagram every step of the way.
I'm fairly confident
things will work out ok at the time of switching on but just wondered if
others who've "been there" have any advice on using the electrical system
for the first time.

thanks

gary n.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]