Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A engine rattles

From: Carl Sereda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

Guy,
Could have something to do with distributor slotted drive shaft.. or problem
with advance weights . Or like someone said, fan mounts.. You might isolate
the source of rattle better with a 'hearing tube' (length of small diameter
tube or garden hose) to hone in on origin of noise while motor running
(amazingly helpful). Or one of those engine stethescopes (with a metal rod
attachment) to touch against different areas on running motor (carefully!) to
hone in on exact location. Could be something as simple as deteriorated engine
torque buffer arm rubber (mine was reduced to a rattly steel washer left on
the bolt).
Good luck,
Carl

'63 TR4 since '74

In order to help you help me, I made a recording of the engine with a
quality
microphone and posted to YouTube (link below).
In addition to the normal tappet and valve noise we should hear in the
engine,
I have this mysterious "rattle" that seems to correspond to the advance
kicking on or off.
Randall suggested it might be detonation, but I have no idea what the hell
detonation sounds like.
Could you please watch/listen to the video and discern what the noise is?
(Detonation, other)

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]