Subject: Re: [TR] Different TR3/3A/3B hubcap globe styles?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Funny - I was talking with a friend about this the other  day.  He asked 
me
> to check the emblems on my TR2 as he had heard  there were some center 
caps
> without the underline under Triumph and  thought it was only used on the
> early TR2's....  Alas and alack -  mine had the underline...
 
Chris & Bill: 
All four of the nave plates on ole TS981 have the underline under Triumph  
and I was assured that these "World" badges were original.  According to  
Piggott there were two types of these badges, the early version was of the  
vitreous enamelled type but at TS13046 the more common painted type took over  
but in both cases the underline was there.  Coincidently TS13046 was also  
when the braking type was changed from Lockheed to Girling and their discs 
in  front.  
 
I have absolutely no clue what "vitreous enamelled" is but those are  
Piggott's words.
 
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana 

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:07:51 -0700

> I have absolutely no clue what "vitreous enamelled" is but those are  

More commonly known as cloisonne (with an accent above the 'e'), I believe.
Vitreous refers to the fact it is cured by 'firing' (heating to high
temperature), and enamel is, of course, the pigment.  A pretty effect, but
unfortunately rather fragile to be on a hub cap.

-- Randall

---

From: Don Hiscock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:14:03 -0400

TSF202L, built April 12, 2012, had three hubcaps with the straight
diagonal, non-underlined emblems when I got it in 1981, and one with the
arched, underlined Triumph script.  It had been in a front end accident at
some point, so I can't say it came with the one oddball emblem.

The emblems are different in almost every respect.  The land masses are
much smaller on the straight Triumph emblems and show all of Australia and
British Isles are shown only as a slightly bigger spot on the chrome.  The
blue of the ocean on the straight Triumph emblems is a much lighter color
enamel, and there are nine lines of latitude and nine lines of longitude.
 The underlined, arched emblems have five lines of latitude, seven lines of
longitude, and a outsized enameled representation of the UK.

Don

PS:  Vitreous means glassy, from the Latin *vitrei*, for glass*.*  Similar
etymology to experiments run *in vitro*, meaning in glass vessels.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:26:32 -0400

http://db.tt/Umzz6Mgl

This is a link to a pic of two of my spare hub cap centers just to provide
some additional visual reference.  One is vitreous and the other I believe
is painted. Both have scripts dissimilar to the one don posted.
On Apr 27, 2012 12:24 AM, "Don Hiscock" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]