Subject: Re: [TR] Bonderize?

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:55:17 -0400

Without actually viewing it, I believe the finish your seeing is referred
to as Parkerized
Every camshaft that I have ever had new or reground has had this done to
it.  It looks and feels like very fine (1000 grit) sandpaper
You do not remove it, just clean and install with camshaft lube -

(Excerpt taken from the Wikipedia site)
Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of
protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to
wear through the application of an electrochemical phosphate conversion
coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or
manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating
process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for
applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron
phosphating process.

Original Message:
-----------------

Camshaft came back from the machine shop.  But the lobes weren't polished.
They have this black stuff all over them and it looks fairly gritty.  The
book I'm using says "if the camshaft has been reground, degrease
thoroughly, bonderize, and soak in graphite."

What the heck is bonderize?  And shouldn't the machine shop have polizhed
the lobes?  ...Or is it polished, but just being protected by something I
have to take off somehow?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft. Windows. and Linux web and application
hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]