Subject: [TR] carpet installation question

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:09:01 -0400

I bought new carpet for my TR3A when Moss had its last sale.  Now that I have
some time, I pulled the OLD (my guess original) stuff out.  (Actually not bad
for 50+ year old carpet.)

It Moss kit came without any instructions (e.g., how to install the snaps),
but I can phone them tomorrow & ask that they fax or email them to me
(assuming they exist).

My question is what would the list suggest to hold the vertical pieces (e.g.,
the sides of the footwell) in place?   Glue (what kind), velcro,  screws,
snaps, ...???

Any sage advice and/or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks

John

John A. Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 Triumph TR3A
Commission No: TS80422L
http://members.cox.net/60tr3a/
http://www.triumphowners.com/876

1977 Porsche 911S
http://members.cox.net/porsche911s/

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Al Salvatore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:35:38 -0400

I don't know about TR3,  but the TR6 footwell carpet was glued to a fiber 
type board and then screw to the wall.

How was the one you took out attached?

Al

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Wise" <[email-masked]>
To: "car discussion Sports Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:09 AM
Subject: [TR] carpet installation question

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:44:55 -0400

My TR3A had rubber floor mats from the seats forward on both sides, they were
held up with 2 spring clips on each side.  The small carpet piece covering the
fire wall over the tunnel was glued in place with some 50 year old glue.  All
I can say is it is now brown. :-)

John

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wise" <[email-masked]>

John A. Wise
Ormond Beach, FL

1960 Triumph TR3A
Commission No: TS80422L

1977 Porsche 911S

---

From: "Peter Ryner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:05:47 -0400

John,
On all of the TR-3s I've seen, all had the carpet glued directly to to 
metal, no backing boards or screws were used.
I used spray contact cement to hold the carpet onto the metal.  Need the 
heavy duty stuff like 3M high strength 90.  You can also brush normal 
contact cement on both sides.  The brush on stuff comes in a water base 
formula which is much less fumes issue, but I've found that it doesn't hold 
quite as well.  Also make sure everything is clean.  The glue will not 
adhere to dirt or dust.  If you have fresh paint on the metal surface it is 
best to let it cure completely before glueing the carpet in place.  The 
solvents in the glue will lift fresh paint.
Pete

---

From: "Carl TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:32:30 -0400

There are no obvious holes so I was going to glue - but Velcro may be a good
alternative so that they can be removed if ever necessary.  I am thinking
that the hook side could be put on the metal and be positioned so that it
mates with the carpet that is rolled over around the sides...  

Thanks for the suggestion.

Carl

1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO 
http://mysite.verizon.net/cfmtr3a/ 
getting closer.  2012 is the year!

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:50:05 -0700

I like Carl's suggestion of Velcro though I have recently use a similar
product that I think is a major improvement on the velcro concept:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener.html

Looks a bit like Velcro but really (audibly) snaps into place and makes a
very strong & firm connection.  Can even hold quite a bit of weight.  I
found some at Ace in 3" lengths though not all Ace's have them.

Geo

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Carl TR <[email-masked]> wrote:

> alternative so that they can be removed if ever necessary...