Subject: [TR] SU Carbs

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:43:44 -0500

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the dual HS4s on my 80 Spitfire.  I adjusted the 
carbs to the recommended starting point to try to get a fresh run at 
adjusting them.

Turned the jets down 12 flats (2 turns) and then turned the throttle 
screw down 1 1/2 turns after it just came into contact with the lever.   
I noticed that the  throttle screws were not in contact with the lever 
when I started.

When I started the car it was running about 2600 rpm.  When I got it 
back down to close to 1,000 rpm, it looks like the throttle screws were 
no longer touching the levers.  Choke seems to be off, the fast idle 
screws are not touching. I rebuilt the carbs about 4 years ago.

I did not take them off, but it looks like the butterfly is closing well.

Any suggestions on what to look at, before I take the carbs off to 
inspect the butterfly more closely?

I have adjusted the valves, and timing.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:19:59 -0500

Roger,
Run the mixture nuts back up 1 turn(six flats). Check the linkage to be sure
it is not hanging up somewhere, then check the butterflys.

Manually reach down and be sure the jets are pulled up all the way, these
can become sticky with long periods of sitting.

Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger Elliott
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] SU Carbs

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the dual HS4s on my 80 Spitfire.  I adjusted the carbs
to the recommended starting point to try to get a fresh run at adjusting
them.

Turned the jets down 12 flats (2 turns) and then turned the throttle 
screw down 1 1/2 turns after it just came into contact with the lever.   
I noticed that the  throttle screws were not in contact with the lever when
I started.

When I started the car it was running about 2600 rpm.  When I got it back
down to close to 1,000 rpm, it looks like the throttle screws were no longer
touching the levers.  Choke seems to be off, the fast idle screws are not
touching. I rebuilt the carbs about 4 years ago.

Any suggestions on what to look at, before I take the carbs off to inspect
the butterfly more closely?

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Jeff Nathanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 01:22:48 -0400

First, I apologize for bringing up a topic that has been discussed many times.
But, the alternator in my '72 TR6 needs replacement for obvious reasons. The
output is not enough at idle and the wires (I have a 5-wire connection) and it
needs replacement.  Dan Master's excellent book explains several different
wiring options in detail. He recommends to use the GM alternator. Others
recommend to use a remanufactured '78 Ford Fiesta Bosch alternator w/55A which
gives almost a bolt-on replacement. And I can use Dan's wiring schematics for
the electrical hookup. My main problem is locating the Fiesta alternator. Does
anyone have a specific source for this Bosch alternator with fan and pulley? I
spent hours trying to locate one that is remanufactured, carrying some sort of
warranty. But, I have not yet found suppliers, like AutoZone, Summit, NAPA nor
Pep Boys. I don't want to search at junk yards. Does anyone have any
recommendations?

Thanking in advance,
Jeff N.
'72 TR6

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:25:01 -0700

Oddly enough, my usual sources don't list it any more.  Maybe the rebuilders
quit doing them for some reason?

However, I believe this is a Delco equivalent:
http://tinyurl.com/6rt5dkm
(As noted, you may have to move over the pulley from your Lucas)

But since you are going to have to modify your 5-wire hookup anyway, going
with a more common alternator might be the best idea.  That way you'll get a
bolted main connection (I don't trust those quick connects at high currents,
seen too many of them get hot and fail), and replacements available at any
corner FLAPS.

-- Randall

---

From: ADRIAN DIX-DYER <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:42:12 +0100

Maybe spread your search to UK and Europe. Fiestas using the alternator
unit you require were sold by the millions over here.
Recon units sell for about the equivalent of $120ish. Ebay UK list lots and
lots of them. Shipping may be expensive.

Adrian TR4A CT64306 O (Ex Tennessee)
Wales UK

On 25 April 2012 08:25, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:36:39 -0500

Roger,

I just spent last week adjusting my carbs; exploring the relationships between
timing, idle and mixture.
I have HS6's, but those are similar to the HS4s.

I basically had the same issue as you with the throttle screws barely touching
the plates, and the engine idling higher than it ought.
So I got the mixture set, which had a small impact on the idle, but not much,
with it still idling around 1000 rpm.
So, I retarded the timing a bit to tame the idle, but not too much to cause a
loss of power, overheating, etc.

I learned that you can retard the timing too much, and the car just will not
respond to throttle under load.
The exhaust gasses can also get very hot (because they are not burning up all
the way in the cylinder) and overheat the exhaust system.

The point is to find the correct tuning balance between timing, idle and
mixture.

>
> Turned the jets down 12 flats (2 turns) and then turned the throttle screw
down 1 1/2 turns after it just came into contact with the lever.   I noticed
that the  throttle screws were not in contact with the lever when I started.
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Al Salvatore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 07:58:18 -0400

The Delco unit looks exactly like the Bosche unit.

Al

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Jeff Nathanson'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:25 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Alternator conversion

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Labuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:03:32 -0400

Jeff,

You might want to drop Triumph Rescue a email. Matt also specializes in 
wiring and they used to have the TR6 alternator project on their website.

http://www.triumphrescue.com/

I couldnt find the TR6 alternator project on their website, but an email 
might get you the information you need.

Bob

  On 04/25/2012 01:22 AM, Jeff Nathanson wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Note" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:05:25 -0400

Jeff: The Bosch alternator should be available thru Rock Auto Parts. 
(rockauto.com).
It's Bosch P/N 13107, 55A, and was available on the fiestas that had A/C. 
Price was IIRC under $60.
Usually, it will come with the pulley, but sometimes their stock does not 
have one, but it's available thru. Jegs,e.g.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jeff Nathanson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:22 AM
Subject: [TR] TR6 Alternator conversion

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:16:40 -0700

> Jeff: The Bosch alternator should be available thru Rock Auto Parts. 

That was the first place I looked.  They used to list it, now they don't.

-- Randall