Subject: [TR] TR3 Transmission shifting block

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:31:04 -0500

Got a few hindered miles on the re-built transmission now, all went real
good in the beginning just a little stiff but I guess that was to be
expected.  
 
But now, I cannot downshift into 2nd gear which is a real problem when
slowing down for a corner as I can't go on to first and third it too tall.
Up shifting from a standing start works most of the time but any small
mis-step and 2nd gear is denied me.
 
During the re-build everything looked real good and all we did was replace
the syncros and found one detent spring & ball missing.
 
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
 
Bill Beecher
'58 TR3A TS30766L "Tarbaby"
www.triumphowners.com/1566
'68 Land Rover Series IIa 88" "The Beast"
"Hello, my name is Bill and I own an old British car.  Now...What are the
next 11 steps?"

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:04:58 -0700

> the syncros and found one detent spring & ball missing.

So all the interlock bits (two balls and a pin) are in place?

Did you measure the force to move the shift rings on the hubs?

Any chance you got some of the bad synchro rings that were making the rounds
a few years ago?

What are you using for lube?  Might be worth trying some MT-90 if you aren't
already, as it seems to really improve shift action.

-- Randall

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:43:55 +0000

What are the symptoms of the bad synchro rings?

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Transmission shifting block

> During the re-build everything looked real good and all we did was
> replace the syncros and found one detent spring & ball missing.

Any chance you got some of the bad synchro rings that were making the rounds a
few years ago?

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:18:48 -0700

> What are the symptoms of the bad synchro rings?

Just generally poor synchro action, AFAIK.  I was fortunate enough to avoid
the experience myself. 

-- Randall

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:29:35 +0000

I'm still trying to chase down the "tapping" noise in my rebuilt TR4 trans
with OD in my TR3 and am pulling my hair out trying to find the source.

It only occurs under load, and is directly related to engine rpm, showing up
at between 2500 and 4500 RPM

I think we have it narrowed to the OD unit, which was not rebuilt, but nobody
seems to have had any experience with an OD making this particular noise.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

---

From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:52:33 -0500

Syncro rings are just a few months old from TRF.  Did not measure the shift
ring pressure.  I am using Sta-Lube GL4 85-90, which is what I have used for
the past three years.

I am wondering if a fork may have slipped on the rod, we did replace the
O-rings.

The only prior complaint was some grinding downshifting to 3rd at speed.

Sent from mobile Bill

> Any chance you got some of the bad synchro rings that were making the rounds
a
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:12:39 -0400

Here's a thought. Have you checked for the noise with the inspection cover
removed? It is the half moon shaped cover at the bottom of the bell
housing. If it is installed the wrong way around, there can be a light
interference with the bolts used to mount the ring gear onto the flywheel.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]