Subject: [TR] TR4 Oil Breather Pipe Oil Catch Tank

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 22:43:32 -0400

I'm thinking about removing the plug from the TR4 engine block and replaice with a breather pipe.  Question is if I connect a hose from the pipe to a catch tank, will the pipe be as effective? 

Paul 
61 TR4

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:21:41 -0500

The pipe would be effective as long as there is free air flow at the end.
Ques: Why not just go with the TR3 pipe set up?
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 9:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR4 Oil Breather Pipe Oil Catch Tank

I'm thinking about removing the plug from the TR4 engine block and replaice
with a breather pipe.  Question is if I connect a hose from the pipe to a
catch tank, will the pipe be as effective? 

Paul
61 TR4

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:00:59 -0700

I installed the TR3 style breather pipe in the crankcase of my 65 TR4 and I
like to think the reduced pressure lessened the leakage through the rear
oil seal. However I don't much like adding those noxious fumes to my
already nasty exhaust and eventually would like to run the pipe to a catch
filer of some kind.
JohnH

On Sat, Apr 28, 2

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:57:07 -0500

If you run it to a catch tank, the catch tank needs to be vented to 
allow the gases to escape still.  Seems obvious, but...  Also, if you 
do any spirited driving you don't want the catch tank on the same 
side of the engine as the breather - when you go quickly around right 
hand turns, oil can run out the pipe into the catch tank.  I suppose 
if you put enough bends in the pipe that wouldn't occur.  We seem to 
put the catch tank where the battery normally goes, but that assumes 
you've relocated the battery to the passenger floorboard or 
trunk.  You want the hose going into the top of the catch tank.

Here's a couple of examples:
uncle jack's super clean installation:
http://www.tonydrews.com/catch_tank_002.jpg
My much grungier installation:
http://www.tonydrews.com/2008-9Rebuild/2009_0329EngineInstallation0025.JPG
http://www.tonydrews.com/2008-9Rebuild/2009_0329EngineInstallation0001.JPG

Tony

At 10:00 PM 4/29/2012, Lee&John Howard wrote:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]