Subject: [TR] Spitfire Turn Signals

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:13:08 -0500

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with a puzzle I am having about the turn 
signals not working.   I struggle to diagnose electrical problems.

The turn signals on both sides of my 80 Spitfire stopped working.  The 
hazard flashers also stopped working.   All of my fuses are okay and 
things on the same fuse as the turn signals work.

Knowing that the turnsignal and hazard flashers both run through the 
hazard switch,  I pulled the hazard switch several times  and got it so 
that the hazard flasher would work part of the time - the turn signals 
still never worked.

I got the hazard switch and cleaned each contact.  Now the hazard 
flashers work reliably.  Turn signals still don't.

There appear to be two power wires going to the hazard switch.  Purple 
had power all of the time and green when ignition is on.  If I jump 
between the purple and green, the turn signals work. With the jumper 
removed they still don't work.

It looks like the powered green wire comes from the voltage stabilizer.  
There is continuity between the voltage stabilizer and the green wire in 
the hazard switch.

So, I am at a loss.

The turn signals works when the purple and green wire are jumped.  So, I 
have ruled out the switch and the relay.

The fuse is fine.

The lights all light up appropriately when using either the hazard 
flasher or jumped turn signals. So lights and grounds seem to be okay.

There is continuity between the voltage regulator and the green wire at 
the hazard switch.   Though when I check for voltage at the green wire, 
there isn't any.   I expected voltage, but not sure how there can't be 
since there is continuity with the voltage stabilizer and there is power 
to the stabilizer.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?   (besides my lack of electronic 
knowledge :))

Thanks,
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:50:25 -0400

On 4/29/2012 4:13 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me with a puzzle I am having about the 
> turn signals not working.   I struggle to diagnose electrical problems.

All right, let's go!

Have you studied this?  
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/78diagram.jpg

The purple wire is hot all the time.  This provides current to operate 
the flashers independent of the ignition switch.  (So they'll work while 
you walk to the gas station).

The green wire is hot with the ignition on - and all the current goes 
through the ignition switch.  The voltage stabiliser is merely a stop on 
the way - the current for the turn signal does not pass through it.

I've never taken one apart, but I /assume/ that the emergency flasher 
switch connects the two sides together, and energises the flasher (via 
the purple wire) so they blink.  When not flashing, it allows the 
current from the green wire to pass through to the flasher, then on to 
the turn signal switch and the lamps.

If I understand you correctly, you have power att eh green wire when the 
ignition is on.  You should also then have power on the light green/gray 
wire going to the flasher.  If not, the problem is probably internal to 
your flasher switch.  You can get some contact cleaner and spray it 
inside while operating the switch repeatedly - you may have to remove it 
to do this.

Most of the problems I've seen with these switches (and dimmer 
rheostats) is due to the fact that they are almost never used, and 
develop a good coating of schmutz, which prevents them form making good 
contact.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:48:54 -0700

> there isn't any. 

Checking for continuity is always a tricky business, especially with other
things connected to the circuit.  The "continuity" you see may be through
those devices and ground; or may be too high resistance to operate the load.
(For example, many continuity testers will show 10 ohms or so as a
connection; but 10 ohms is much too high to power turn signals.)

If there is no voltage on the green wire with the ignition on, then the
problem is somewhere between where you are checking and the battery.  Since
presumably the gauges powered by the voltage stabilizer do work, the problem
must be between that point and the stabilizer.  Could be a broken wire, but
my money is on the tab on the VS being broken, corroded, or simply not
connected properly.  (It is sometimes easy to slide the blade between the
terminal and the plastic covering, which can sometimes make a connection
that will show continuity but not pass enough power to actually run
anything.)

-- Randall