Subject: [TR] slipping out of third

From: "Peter Arakelian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:46:03 -0700

I have a 71 TR6 non-overdrive transmission. When I am in third, decelerating
down hill, on occasion, it will slip out of gear. Not pop out, but
occasionally slide out - it feels like I just stepped on the clutch.  No other
problems with transmission.  Goes through all gears fine - up and down.  No
noise, no grinding.  Only the occasional slide out of third.
Diagnosis?

Peter Arakelian

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:55:18 +0000

Sounds like your detent springs are done.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Peter Arakelian
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:46 PM
To: Listers
Subject: [TR] slipping out of third

Peter Arakelian

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "G.D. Huggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:08:08 -0500

Peter,

I have roughly 2500 miles on a freshly rebuilt gearbox and have the same
issue.
If I am in third, and keep my foot off the pedal, allowing the car to
decelerate, in often comes out of gear.
You are not alone, and I don't think this is rare, or really a problem.

I will follow this thread with great interest.

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:34:56 -0400

I don't think you can say "or really a problem". These cars have their
quirks, but slipping out of gear is not one of them.  

I had my TR250 gearbox rebuilt by Racetorations in the UK and when 
I drove the car for the first time last month, it slipped out of gear.
Racetorations is flying one of their guys out to Michigan to pull the
gearbox and fix the problem.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of G.D. Huggins
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:08 AM
To: Peter Arakelian
Cc: Listers
Subject: Re: [TR] slipping out of third

Peter,

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:54:01 -0700

> decelerate, in often comes out of gear.

It's been a few years back, but a friend of mine had the same problem.
After returning the box to the rebuilder twice, she took it to Herman van
den Akker, who after much investigation discovered that the dog teeth didn't
match the sleeves.  Installing parts that match solved the problem.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/index.php?page=85

Might not be your problem (Guy or Peter), but I would definitely check
(right after checking the detent force).

Unfortunately, the only way I know to check is to tear the gearbox down
again.  Even with the gears in your hands, you have to look close to see the
differences.

Randall

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:38:53 +0000 (UTC)

Camshaft came back from the machine shop.  But the lobes weren't polished.  They have this black stuff all over them and it looks fairly gritty.  The book I'm using says "if the camshaft has been reground, degrease thoroughly, bonderize, and soak in graphite."

What the heck is bonderize?  And shouldn't the machine shop have polizhed the lobes?  ...Or is it polished, but just being protected by something I have to take off somehow?

No telling, not knowing!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:47:35 +0000 (UTC)

About this front bearing for the cam, I normally replace all bearings in a rebuild, but this doesn't actually look like a bearing at all.  No babbit, for one, or at least what I grew up calling the material that faces the moving part.  

...Or do the other three bearings in the block control the spin, and the front bearing just the back and forth drift?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 08:54:28 -0700

The front cam bearing takes more side force than the other 3, as it also
takes the force from the chain turning the cam.  Check it for wear.  If not
too badly worn, you can reuse it.  But it's replaceable because it does
wear. 

-- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:05:14 -0700

> Camshaft came back from the machine shop.  But the lobes 
> weren't polished.  They have this black stuff all over them 
> and it looks fairly gritty.

I'd ask the machine shop what it is.  Chances are that it's graphite or
similar; but why take a chance?

-- Randall

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:54:14 -0400 (EDT)

To "Bonderize" is simply to coat something in (usually) a phosphate solution
for rust protection. Maybe that coating is why the cam lobes don't look to be
polished?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: terryrs <[email-masked]>

What the heck is bonderize?