Subject: Re: [TR] more harness

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:04:01 -0400 (EDT)

The trick I used when I checked out the TR3 is I connected each circuit to 
the battery via a spare headlamp.  If it is a short to ground the bulb will 
shine with full brightness.  If it is working properly the bulb will glow a 
little, a fair amount or not at all depending on the load.  

Leave out the fuses and connect the lead from the bulb to the load side of 
the fuse block and start testing away.  If you get a full bright headlamp 
start disconnecting lights or other loads.  But you can check your brake and 
tail lights just fine.  Also the other lights on the car.  For best results 
check one circuit at a time.

If you have a volt meter (which I highly recommend if you are going to work 
on any electrical system) you can check the voltage on the circuit.  If it 
is anything greater than a volt you won't burn up the harness when connect 
it up with the fuse.

Wiper motor: when I checked my wiper motor it moved briefly and stalled and 
the headlamp went bright.  But the fact that the motor moved at all told me 
it was OK but a voltmeter reading would have confirmed this if there was 
any doubt.

Dave

In a message dated 4/19/2012 9:36:52 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes: 
> I'm slowly working my way through installing wiring harness (tr-3) and 
> have
> received great help already from the list.  I have one concern left, and
> that's when I finish and want to connect the battery and test the system.  
> I'm
> afraid one little mistake I might have made could burn up the new harness 
> or
> even a small part of it.
> Is there a safe way to test portions of it first or
> does one just turn on the power and wait for possible smoke?  I've 
> basically
> been very careful about transferring the new wires to the old 
> guages/switches
> on the dash section and also using the old harness as a model to connect 
> the
> new wires to control box/fuse box and other parts; along with diligent
> reviewing of a wiring diagram every step of the way.
> I'm fairly confident
> things will work out ok at the time of switching on but just wondered if
> others who've "been there" have any advice on using the electrical system 
> for
> the first time.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:31:12 -0700

> The trick I used when I checked out the TR3 is I connected each circuit
> to the battery via a spare headlamp.

I even save old headlight bulbs for this sort of thing.

> Leave out the fuses

But first start with the headlamp between the battery connector and the
battery.  There is a lot of the TR3 harness that is not protected by fuses
(including the entire headlight circuit).

-- Randall