Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake rotor turning

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 13:53:57 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5048857068372079835==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000E_01D85E2C.13011680"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01D85E2C.13011680
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Andy

                I had to do some searching because this subject was brought
up many years ago.

The stock rotor thickness is .505".    

I looked at specs for other cars and they indicate around 90% for min
thickness of the rotor = .4545"

Here is a comment from Bill Martin

I toss rotors that get below .44 and if you look  at the drum there is a
beveled edge on it, if its past  the beveled edge toss it. I think that
bevel is the gauge for the drum.

Just my opinions - Bill Martin

Ron Fraser

From: Tigers <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Andy Walker via
Tigers
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2022 1:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Brake rotor turning

Hey, guys:

My Tiger appears to have a very slight warpage in one or both front brake
rotors.  Consequently, I'd like to have them turned and trued up.  Does
anyone know what the spec is as to how far the rotors can safely be turned
before they should be discarded?  I have absolutely no idea if my rotors
have ever been turned, but it's probably safe to assume that they have been
at some point.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01D85E2C.13011680
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Andy<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I had to do some searching because =
this subject was brought up many years ago.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The stock =
rotor thickness is .505&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I looked at =
specs for other cars and they indicate around 90% for min thickness of =
the rotor =3D .4545&quot;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Here is a =
comment from Bill Martin<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'text-indent:.5in'> I toss rotors that get below .44 and if you =
look&nbsp; at the drum there is a beveled edge on it, if its past&nbsp; =
the beveled edge toss it. I think that bevel is the gauge for the =
drum.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> Just my opinions &#8211; Bill =
Martin<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Ron Fraser<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Tigers =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Andy Walker =
via Tigers<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, May 02, 2022 1:10 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Tigers] Brake rotor =
turning<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Hey, =
guys:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>My Tiger appears to have a very slight warpage in one =
or both front brake rotors.&nbsp; Consequently, I&#8217;d like to have =
them turned and trued up.&nbsp; Does anyone know what the spec is as to =
how far the rotors can safely be turned before they should be =
discarded?&nbsp; I have absolutely no idea if my rotors have ever been =
turned, but it&#8217;s probably safe to assume that they have been at =
some point.&nbsp; Any guidance would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks =
much,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Andy Walker<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Edmond, OK<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01D85E2C.13011680--

--===============5048857068372079835==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============5048857068372079835==--

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:18:19 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4718322823889731148==
 boundary="------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Andy I asked a similar question back in 2002 and others continued the 
discussion. I'll paste the relevant reply here in /italic/ and then 
comment at the end.

/I had a few folks ask me to get back with them if I found anything on 
the rotors, therefore I'll post the answer. Below is a definitive 
response from Dan. My new favorite parts store, owned by two brothers 
who are not on computer and still have all sorts of catalogs for parts 
going back to the 60s looked up the rotors and told me the very 
technical answer, "book says throw out at .310". I have not researched 
the drums yet... actually, I still haven't got them to let go of the 
hubs, but I'm in no rush. Matt -----Original Message----- From: Dan & 
Lori Fitzgerald [//mailto:[email-masked]//] Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:57 PM To: Matthew Bouchelle 
Subject: Re: Brake rotor min. thickness Matt, The new rotors are .500 
inch and the minimum is .375 inch. The data came from a factory service 
bulletin. Hope this helps. Dan /

Today's (5-2-22) comment: I took my rotors to Pep Boys back in 2002 and 
the guy there (a Triumph owner) turned them for me. I can't remember if 
they were already in the .440-.450 range or that is what they were 
turned to. At the time the list said the .375 size (much less the .310 
size) stated in the email from Matt was said to be way too thin (I would 
agree). And, I'm not sure where the person named Dan got this factory 
service bulletin from? As a general rule .040-.060 under original size 
is a common number. Anyway, I had a second set of rotors and I dashed 
them over to PB the same day thinking this might be the only chance that 
someone will turn them. Others had indicated that without a modern spec 
available many places refused to turn them. I don't know the 
availability of new rotors. This is a "do at your own (and others) risk" 
thing but measure your rotors then find a rotor that is similar in the 
size you measure. Tell them they are rotors for that similar sized 
vehicle. It may be the only way you get them turned because they likely 
lack data on the Tiger and might say No! Just remember that this is a 
compromised means that limits the braking capability but if no other 
rotors are available it seems better than nothing.

On 5/2/2022 10:10 AM, Andy Walker via Tigers wrote:
>
> Hey, guys:
>
> My Tiger appears to have a very slight warpage in one or both front 
> brake rotors.  Consequently, I’d like to have them turned and trued 
> up.  Does anyone know what the spec is as to how far the rotors can 
> safely be turned before they should be discarded?  I have absolutely 
> no idea if my rotors have ever been turned, but it’s probably safe to 
> assume that they have been at some point.  Any guidance would be 
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Andy Walker
>
> Edmond, OK
>
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><font size="4" face="monospace">Andy I asked a similar question
        back in 2002 and others continued the discussion. I'll paste the
        relevant reply here in <i>italic</i> and then comment at the
        end.</font></p>
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><i>I had a few folks ask me to get back with them if I found anything on the
rotors, therefore I'll post the answer.  Below is a definitive response from
Dan.  My new favorite parts store, owned by two brothers who are not on
computer and still have all sorts of catalogs for parts going back to the
60s looked up the rotors and told me the very technical answer, "book says
throw out at .310".  I have not researched the drums yet... actually, I
still haven't got them to let go of the hubs, but I'm in no rush.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan &amp; Lori Fitzgerald [</i><i><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a></i><i>]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:57 PM
To: Matthew Bouchelle
Subject: Re: Brake rotor min. thickness

Matt,

The new rotors are .500 inch and the minimum is .375 inch.  The data came
from a factory service bulletin.  Hope this helps.

Dan

</i></pre>
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><font size="4">Today's (5-2-22) comment:
 I took my rotors to Pep Boys back in 2002 and the guy there (a Triumph owner) turned them for me. I can't remember if they were already in the .440-.450 range or that is what they were turned to. At the time the list said the .375 size (much less the .310 size) stated in the email from Matt was said to be way too thin (I would agree). And, I'm not sure where the person named Dan got this factory service bulletin from? As a general rule .040-.060 under original size is a common number. Anyway, I had a second set of rotors and I dashed them over to PB the same day thinking this might be the only chance that someone will turn them. Others had indicated that without a modern spec available many places refused to turn them.

I don't know the availability of new rotors. This is a "do at your own (and others) risk" thing but measure your rotors then find a rotor that is similar in the size you measure. Tell them they are rotors for that similar sized vehicle. It may be the only way you get them turned because they likely lack data on the Tiger and might say No! Just remember that this is a compromised means that limits the braking capability but if no other rotors are available it seems better than nothing.
</font></pre>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/2/2022 10:10 AM, Andy Walker via
      Tigers wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Hey, guys:<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">My Tiger appears to have a very slight
          warpage in one or both front brake rotors.  Consequently, I’d
          like to have them turned and trued up.  Does anyone know what
          the spec is as to how far the rotors can safely be turned
          before they should be discarded?  I have absolutely no idea if
          my rotors have ever been turned, but it’s probably safe to
          assume that they have been at some point.  Any guidance would
          be appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Thanks much,<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Andy Walker<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Edmond, OK<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------tztTJNvYep8uHvMypMM59vd6--

--===============4718322823889731148==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4718322823889731148==--