Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Axel Lengths

From: Joel Martin via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 19:48:50 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5415348459409358165==
	boundary="----=_Part_794644_863317397.1636228130499"

------=_Part_794644_863317397.1636228130499
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello All
I am swapping from a 3.54 Trac Lock rear to a 2.88 open using the 19 spline=
 axels and course yoke which came out of the car.=C2=A0 Everything was goin=
g fine until tightened the phillips nut on the backing plate and reinstalli=
ng the brakes.=C2=A0 Now the axels are completely locked up and will not tu=
rn.
The pin on the Trac Lock was about 1" and the pine on the open carrier is a=
bout 1/2".=C2=A0 This is about the only big difference I can see between th=
e 2 carriers.=C2=A0 Not sure if this has any bearing but thought I should m=
ention it.
I am starting to think the axels might have been shortened to fit in the Tr=
ac Lock carrier.=C2=A0Does anyone know the length of the stock 19 spline ax=
els without the flange installed?=C2=A0 Measuring the axel lengths are the =
next step we are planning to take.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and the correct axel l=
engths?
Thanks in advance.=C2=A0 Getting frustrated.
Joel Martin
------=_Part_794644_863317397.1636228130499
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-fami=
ly:garamond, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;"><div dir=3D"ltr" data-=
setdir=3D"false">Hello All</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br>=
</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">I am swapping from a 3.54 Trac=
 Lock rear to a 2.88 open using the 19 spline axels and course yoke which c=
ame out of the car.&nbsp; Everything was going fine until tightened the phi=
llips nut on the backing plate and reinstalling the brakes.&nbsp; Now the a=
xels are completely locked up and will not turn.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data=
-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">The pin =
on the Trac Lock was about 1" and the pine on the open carrier is about 1/2=
".&nbsp; This is about the only big difference I can see between the 2 carr=
iers.&nbsp; Not sure if this has any bearing but thought I should mention i=
t.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" d=
ata-setdir=3D"false"><span><span style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:=
 garamond, &quot;new york&quot;, times, serif; font-size: 16px;">I am start=
ing to think the axels might have been shortened to fit in the Trac Lock ca=
rrier.&nbsp;</span></span>Does anyone know the length of the stock 19 splin=
e axels without the flange installed?&nbsp; Measuring the axel lengths are =
the next step we are planning to take.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D=
"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Does anyone have a=
ny ideas what the problem might be and the correct axel lengths?</div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D=
"false">Thanks in advance.&nbsp; Getting frustrated.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Joel=
 Martin</div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_794644_863317397.1636228130499--

--===============5415348459409358165==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============5415348459409358165==--

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 09:24:59 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4048582254087978110==
 boundary="------------45lkHMqL00z0TXCAX2GNMjNr"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------45lkHMqL00z0TXCAX2GNMjNr
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I'm not sure if this ever got answered? I happen to have a spare Tiger 
axle and here are the measurements. I assume the axle is the same on 
both sides? I thought I be able to read it better after I took the 
picture..., but the overall length is right about 26-3/4". Probably more 
important to you is the spline area that is right about 2". Not sure if 
what you are calling the "pin" is the spacer that goes between the axles 
(in the carrier) to transfer the wheel bearing load. I believe (check to 
make sure) there is something like .004-.006 end play that gets measured 
with a dial indicator. The axle is pushed in on one side, the indicator 
zeroed and then the axle is pushed back from the other side to get the 
reading.  Hope this is of some help.

On 11/6/2021 12:48 PM, Joel Martin via Tigers wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I am swapping from a 3.54 Trac Lock rear to a 2.88 open using the 19 
> spline axels and course yoke which came out of the car.  Everything 
> was going fine until tightened the phillips nut on the backing plate 
> and reinstalling the brakes.  Now the axels are completely locked up 
> and will not turn.
>
> The pin on the Trac Lock was about 1" and the pine on the open carrier 
> is about 1/2".  This is about the only big difference I can see 
> between the 2 carriers.  Not sure if this has any bearing but thought 
> I should mention it.
>
> I am starting to think the axels might have been shortened to fit in 
> the Trac Lock carrier. Does anyone know the length of the stock 19 
> spline axels without the flange installed?  Measuring the axel lengths 
> are the next step we are planning to take.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and the correct 
> axel lengths?
>
> Thanks in advance.  Getting frustrated.
>
> Joel Martin
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
--------------45lkHMqL00z0TXCAX2GNMjNr
 boundary="------------VBp5Ou5XeFmfPjhilz0g6g97"

--------------VBp5Ou5XeFmfPjhilz0g6g97
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I'm not sure if this ever got answered? I happen to have a spare
      Tiger axle and here are the measurements. I assume the axle is the
      same on both sides? I thought I be able to read it better after I
      took the picture..., but the overall length is right about
      26-3/4". Probably more important to you is the spline area that is
      right about 2". Not sure if what you are calling the "pin" is the
      spacer that goes between the axles (in the carrier) to transfer
      the wheel bearing load. I believe (check to make sure) there is
      something like .004-.006 end play that gets measured with a dial
      indicator. The axle is pushed in on one side, the indicator zeroed
      and then the axle is pushed back from the other side to get the
      reading.  Hope this is of some help.</p>
    <p><img src="cid:[email-masked]" alt=""> <img
        src="cid:[email-masked]" alt=""></p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/6/2021 12:48 PM, Joel Martin via
      Tigers wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:garamond, new
        york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Hello All</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I am swapping from a 3.54
          Trac Lock rear to a 2.88 open using the 19 spline axels and
          course yoke which came out of the car.  Everything was going
          fine until tightened the phillips nut on the backing plate and
          reinstalling the brakes.  Now the axels are completely locked
          up and will not turn.</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">The pin on the Trac Lock was
          about 1" and the pine on the open carrier is about 1/2".  This
          is about the only big difference I can see between the 2
          carriers.  Not sure if this has any bearing but thought I
          should mention it.</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><span><span style="color:
              rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: garamond, &quot;new york&quot;,
              times, serif; font-size: 16px;">I am starting to think the
              axels might have been shortened to fit in the Trac Lock
              carrier. </span></span>Does anyone know the length of the
          stock 19 spline axels without the flange installed?  Measuring
          the axel lengths are the next step we are planning to take.</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Does anyone have any ideas
          what the problem might be and the correct axel lengths?</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Thanks in advance.  Getting
          frustrated.</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Joel Martin</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>
--------------VBp5Ou5XeFmfPjhilz0g6g97
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="i1XDzxxiVVYjJrfE.png"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------VBp5Ou5XeFmfPjhilz0g6g97
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="ojz0pvZsIHuGh70C.png"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------VBp5Ou5XeFmfPjhilz0g6g97--

--------------45lkHMqL00z0TXCAX2GNMjNr--

--===============4048582254087978110==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4048582254087978110==--