Subject: [Tigers] Clutch issue

From: Jerry Christopherson via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 18:33:59 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8614717933113219971==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0161_01D77039.FD80EA50"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0161_01D77039.FD80EA50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

OK all you "gearheads", let's see who can figure this one out.  As some of
you know I recently went completely through my engine (boiled block
rebalance, new bearings and rings etc,etc.).  I put in a new clutch 10.5"
(Ram #88794HD) far more 

clutch than I  need for a street car, It's good for 450 ft. lbs. of torque.
My car is in the upper 300lbs of torque. The clutch requires more movement
than the stock master cylinder is capable of so I bought a new master
cylinder with larger bore

(.700 stock is .625) as suggested by some of you.  That master worked ok,
but required a FULL depression of the clutch peddle to the floor (I like
midway release).  My adjustment is as far as I dare to keep the throw-out
bearing from staying in

contact with the clutch fingers.  So I got about 80 miles of driving since
the overhaul (and getting a very strong left leg) and the clutch started to
not release, it would take several "pumps" to get it in gear, also to make a
shift.  At times the clutch 

peddle would go to the floor with absolutely NO resistance what so ever.  I
had about 2 miles to get the car home. That was a real thrill, at times I
had to use the starter while in first gear to leave a light or stop sign.
Anyway  this having no peddle 

at times 

then having some peddle finally got me home.  At home I checked the clutch
fluid level thinking I had lost all fluid (kind of what it felt like) but
the level was still FULL!

I found the problem, let see if any one of you can guess what I found to be
the problem.  You won't believe it!  I'll tell the story after some of your
guesses.

Jerry Christopherson

9473187

TAC Insp. #58     

------=_NextPart_000_0161_01D77039.FD80EA50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>OK all you =
&#8220;gearheads&#8221;, let&#8217;s see who can figure this one =
out.&nbsp; As some of you know I recently went completely through my =
engine (boiled block rebalance, new bearings and rings etc,etc.). =
&nbsp;I put in a new clutch 10.5&#8221; (Ram #88794HD) far more =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>clutch than =
I &nbsp;need for a street car, It&#8217;s good for 450 ft. lbs. of =
torque. &nbsp;My car is in the upper 300lbs of torque. The clutch =
requires more movement than the stock master cylinder is capable of so I =
bought a new master cylinder with larger bore<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>(.700 stock =
is .625) as suggested by some of you.&nbsp; That master worked ok, but =
required a FULL depression of the clutch peddle to the floor (I like =
midway release).&nbsp; My adjustment is as far as I dare to keep the =
throw-out bearing from staying in<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'> contact =
with the clutch fingers.&nbsp; So I got about 80 miles of driving since =
the overhaul (and getting a very strong left leg) and the clutch started =
to not release, it would take several &#8220;pumps&#8221; to get it in =
gear, also to make a shift.&nbsp; At times the clutch =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>peddle would =
go to the floor with absolutely NO resistance what so ever.&nbsp; I had =
about 2 miles to get the car home. That was a real thrill, at times I =
had to use the starter while in first gear to leave a light or stop =
sign. &nbsp;Anyway&nbsp; this having no peddle <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>at times =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>then having =
some peddle finally got me home.&nbsp; At home I checked the clutch =
fluid level thinking I had lost all fluid (kind of what it felt like) =
but the level was still FULL!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>I found the =
problem, let see if any one of you can guess what I found to be the =
problem. &nbsp;You won&#8217;t believe it!&nbsp; I&#8217;ll tell the =
story after some of your guesses.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Jerry =
Christopherson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>9473187<o:p><=
/o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>TAC Insp. =
#58 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0161_01D77039.FD80EA50--

--===============8614717933113219971==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============8614717933113219971==--