Subject: Re: [Tigers] More ugly dash issues or continuation anyway...

From: Gary Winblad via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 08:09:54 -0700

It was a long time ago but..  I seem to remember that after sitting for 
years, my fuel sender was stuck, had to
remove it and work it loose.  That could explain some of your symptoms.  
Your Temp gauge works. You can
substitute it with the fuel gauge (and vice versa) to see if the gauges 
work.
Gary

On 10/2/2016 4:07 PM, Larry Mayfield via Tigers wrote:
>
> Well, not much good today.  First off, I tried the MGB unit from VB. 
> As mentioned it was and is different in mounting and connections.  I 
> did not play with it long however and plan to do more.  I next set up 
> Theo and Tom’s electronic unit. First failure was a broken anti 
> rotation tab on the 6061-T6 bracket.  I wil remake one tomorrow from 
> softer aluminum. But I grounded the unit and put the G Ign  and LGG 
> wires  onto the posts. Because I had broken one tab, I covered the 
> post which will come into chassis contact if rotated, with shrink 
> tubing. Put more gasoline in car. Use a stick with magic marker tattle 
> stripe and stuck it into the tank: looks like I have maybe a 3^rd of a 
> tank now. Definitely enough to cause the needle to move if  it wants 
> to. I had just finished reinstalling the entire heater water plumbing 
> also including the cast iron and copper T pieces. I installed a new 
> Temp sensor from Rick at SS. I used the OEM sender wire and ground 
> wire at the cast iron T.  Gage wiring was per CAT diagrams and one of 
> the list members wiring on his car: LGG to the left side of the Temp 
> meter and right side on the Fuel meter.  Satisfied I was not gonna fry 
> anything I tried starting the car. Start and immediately die. OOPS, I 
> know what this is: the White blue wire on the ballast came off. Yup. 
> And it had apparently touched ground somewhere as well as the 35 amp 
> fuse for that was blown. New fuse wire back where it goes. Car starts 
> albeit a tad flooded. After some fiddling, car idled nicely. This 
> after sitting for 7 years.  I let the thing sit there and idle to get 
> the temp up. Meter never moved at all. Ditto fuel Temp was below 120 
> on meter, fuel is something around 1.001 gallons and hanging there. It 
> never moves.  Just for chuckles I removed the fuel gage meter and 
> sender from the circuitry and zappo, tempo gage goes full scale. I 
> repeat this with the fuel gage meter and temp out of the loop and fuel 
> gage does not move.   Tomorrow I am going to find a couple of 
> compatible potentiometers and use them as senders in each circuit. 
>  That way I can see it eh meters themselves are toasted or ok.  I have 
> somewhere in my pile  of testing and experimenting residue, I am sure 
> to have two pots similar to what the senders are.  I will try and find 
> a couple that are 1K max and near zero at the low end.  That kinda 
> mimics the senders.    That way, I can mix and match the wiring on the 
> meters easily and adjust to the pots to mimic the actual senders.
>
> Anybody see anything wrong here?
>
> If not, more info tomorrow at COB or thereabouts
>
> mayf
>
> _________________________
> drmayf
> Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
> 204.913 mph flying mile
> 210.779 mph exit (not top)  speed
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Mayfield via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:20:33 -0700

Ok, the ugly dash is now 100% functional.  When I sat down and tried to
determine the reason for the temp meter going full scale when the fuel LGG
power wore was removed and that coupled with the fact that when both were
still connected nothing worked, I hit on the answer. That somewhere the LGG
wire on the Fuel meter was shorting out and causing noting to work. I
removed that gage, from the dash and could not see anything obvious, but
when I put the fluke on it I had continuity from the LGG pi post to the
case. Oops ! That is not supposed to be there.  So I removed the terminal
nut the post the bake lite washer and the opaque  plastic under all of that
and sure enough that threaded post from the gage internals was touching the
outer gage metal case.  Why? I have no idea as I am generally pretty careful
about pulling wires from things.  I had some shouldered nylon washers that
my eldest son had when he was doing tats and used one to insulate the
threaded piece. Then I put it all back together. Then I checked the temp
gage, Dang, same identical issue! Same fix.  All back together. Made a new
better for me to install bracket for the new electronic voltage regulator
and got that installed. Moment of truth... hit starter and engine came to
life, no not springing to life but like me, sorta gently coming up to speed.
I let it run for a while but it is really flooding and I need to repair the
carb.  Float is likely stuck wide open.  But as it ran, the fuel gage
climber to about 4 or 5 gallons, and it is off a bit at rest, so I can
fiddle some with that one day and the temp came up to 170 degrees.   I shut
it off and wept tears of  joy (well, not really but you get the idea).  

So no more dash items will be reported unless I get crazy and try and figure
out the  MGB unit and then check to see if the OEM unit is actually still
working or not. 

Many, many, thanks to all of you who chimed in to assist, I needed the help
for both inspiration and hope and encouragement. And a special thanks to
Gary Winblad! Maybe one day I can get him an RC Cola and Moon Pie for
gratuity. We are similar ages so that helped, lol...

Mayf

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Winblad [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 8:10 AM
To: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>; Tiger List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More ugly dash issues or continuation anyway...

It was a long time ago but..  I seem to remember that after sitting for
years, my fuel sender was stuck, had to remove it and work it loose.  That
could explain some of your symptoms.  
Your Temp gauge works. You can
substitute it with the fuel gauge (and vice versa) to see if the gauges
work.
Gary

On 10/2/2016 4:07 PM, Larry Mayfield via Tigers wrote:
> Theo and Tom's electronic unit. First failure was a broken anti 
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 18:16:27 -0700

Excellent..  wow that was a tough one, congrats for getting to the root 
cause.
Murphy's Law at work I guess, LOL.
Gary

[email-masked]