Subject: [Tigers] Hard Top Install Comments + Instrument Voltage Regulator Thoughts.

From: Larry Mayfield via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 08:36:52 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6704783970904197010==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0013_01D226BF.4857AC40"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D226BF.4857AC40
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0014_01D226BF.4857AC40"

------=_NextPart_001_0014_01D226BF.4857AC40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have my HT on the car now. As can be remembered, I had asked about
installing weather stripping, back corner pieces and the back window.  Well,
the under top to body weather stripping was a full on chore to do even with
the rubber being reasonably soft. I finally got all that in place using
popsicle sticks (craft store item with boxes of a 1000). I used dish soap
and water and a chip brush to apply liberal amount of slickem to the mating
areas. Next I put on my mechanics gloves because pushing on the end of a
popsicle stick gets tiresome on the palm of your hand. I even put a piece of
corrugated cardboard in the palm. Keeps blisters at bay. Then I got with it.
Top was upside down on my work table lying on a pile of old comforters. I
had previously installed the B pillar latch and gaskets and the pieces there
were butted up against that.  I had also already installed the pieces that
index on the hinges for locating the top and keeping it on the car. 

The corner pieces, those odd shaped pieces that have the 4 screws and a
retainer plate to hold in place on the top. They just did not fit well and I
heard from several of you that lots of frustrations were hiding there. Well,
being an old engineer I asked myself, why not fit the rubber pieces where
they fit and redrill the mounting holes. Piece of cake. Those pieces I have
fit well when not forced into fitting holes drilled for a different set of
corner pieces. So, I say, don't be afraid to do what is needed to get it
done.   I finished the weather stripping by trimming it to fit the newly
located corner parts. 

Back window was, it turned out, not an issue at all. I had read on a
different and old forum on how to do it simply with no tools at all. Not
even a cord. I had a new back window because when we moved from Huntsville,
Alabama in 2000 I was towing the car on a U-Haul trailer in the middle of
nowhere on I-40 with a cross wind blowing. Then a semi went by us at warp
nine and the back window, with help from stuff stacked inside the car, blew
right out and onto the interstate. Followed by a second semi who ran over
it. My youngest son who was headed to UNLV was traveling behind me and told
me what had happened. And did I want to go back and get it. Sadly, I told
him that it was most likely toast and not worth the effort.  So I had
purchased a new window and gasket.  Step one if to put the gasket on the
window. Just make sure you get it right side out.  Then with more soapy
water and the top now right side up on the table, and trusty handy girl, my
BFF of 44 years, we installed the rear window. Put the bottom section of the
gasket on. Then with some flexing and pushing and grunting, we worked our
way around the gasket across the bottom then up the sides. Then flopped the
top over to get at the headliner area for putting that part of the gasket
on.  With the handy girl handy to keep me on track and not using too many
really bad sailor words, we finished the gasket install with window in
place! Less than an hour start to finish. I do not have the chrome surround
piece so that didn't get involved.  I suggest that when the top is on the
car that some additional pushing and tugging might be needed to make sure
everything is snuggly in place.  

Lastly, for now, are some thoughts and comments about instrument regulators.
I had purchased the electronic replacement designed and built by The Smit
and sold by he and Tom Hall. Very nice unit and works wonderfully well.
Availability? Not sure how many they have left to sell.  I also purchased a
MGB unit from Victoria British but have not done much with it except to look
it over. I mentioned earlier that the output push ons were reversed in sex.
The Green wires push onto a male connector while the LGG wires push onto  a
female connector. So a short male adapter is needed.  And the mounting tab
is reversed : the Sunbeam item has it mounting tab below the enclosure while
the MGB unit is above the enclosure and has TOP on the Bakelite board.  I
plan on trying it now that I know I have the dash working. Will forward
results to list. Next was the ordering of two small voltage regulators from
you know where via ebay. Took forever to get here but total cost for 2, yes,
2, with shipping was a few cents over 3 bucks! And they are very well made.
But, not enclosed, so a small project box would be needed.  They unis are
made using an LM317T IC, a small pot for adjusting the output between
voltage rail values (could be 1 to 37 volts) and a capacitor for removing
ripple or AC components of the output. Ie noise.  A small, approx. 15mm x 30
mm board is used and the LM317 is mounted to a heat sink.  Two input posts
are used to attach B+ and ground wires and same for output on the other end
of the board. Output  with ground.  I plan on trying this out and will
adjust one of the two I have with DVM and power supply on my work bench. I
will make semi permanently installed harness to connect to the LGG and G
wires under the dash and for test will just let it dangle. Then hold my nose
while applying power to everything and so as  not to smell the LUCAS smoke
that could possibly escape the smoke conduits (wires).  I like the notion is
using two pf the things, one for temp and one for fuel and that means some
tuning of the gages might be possible.  Probably get to this is a couple of
weeks though. Unless someone has urgent need to replace one and then will
test as quickly as I can get to it. 

Ok, I think that catches me up some. I still have 999,995 things to do
though. My do list is a Pareto list where I list as many items as I can
think of to get done then pick out the 20% of the total that give me the
most problems and get to those first. Then when done I pick the next 20% and
so on. 

Today is, however, dedicated to football. Alabama v Tennessee. 

L8r

mayf

_________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit (not top)  speed

------=_NextPart_001_0014_01D226BF.4857AC40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:dt=3D"uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta name=3D"Microsoft =
Theme 2.00" content=3D"indust 011"><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator =
content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
h1
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
	margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
h2
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:normal;}
h3
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:normal;}
h4
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:normal;}
h5
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:normal;}
h6
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6 Char";
	margin-top:2.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:normal;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#990066;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#CC6633;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	color:#663300;}
span.Heading1Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading2Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 2 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
span.Heading3Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 3 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
span.Heading4Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 4 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
span.Heading5Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 5 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
span.Heading6Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 6 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6";
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:#663300;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
background=3D"cid:[email-masked]" lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#990066" vlink=3D"#CC6633"><img =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" =
v:src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" v:shapes=3D"_x0000_Mail" =
width=3D0 height=3D0 class=3Dshape =
style=3D'display:none;width:0;height:0'><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<v:background id=3D"_x0000_s1025" o:bwmode=3D"white" =
o:targetscreensize=3D"1024,768">
<v:fill src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" o:title=3D"indtextb" =
type=3D"frame" />
</v:background></xml><![endif]--><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I have my HT on the car now. As can be remembered, I =
had asked about installing weather stripping, back corner pieces and the =
back window.&nbsp; Well, the under top to body weather stripping was a =
full on chore to do even with the rubber being reasonably soft. I =
finally got all that in place using popsicle sticks (craft store item =
with boxes of a 1000). I used dish soap and water and a chip brush to =
apply liberal amount of slickem to the mating areas. Next I put on my =
mechanics gloves because pushing on the end of a popsicle stick gets =
tiresome on the palm of your hand. I even put a piece of corrugated =
cardboard in the palm. Keeps blisters at bay. Then I got with it. Top =
was upside down on my work table lying on a pile of old comforters. I =
had previously installed the B pillar latch and gaskets and the pieces =
there were butted up against that. &nbsp;I had also already installed =
the pieces that index on the hinges for locating the top and keeping it =
on the car. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The corner pieces, those odd shaped pieces that have =
the 4 screws and a retainer plate to hold in place on the top. They just =
did not fit well and I heard from several of you that lots of =
frustrations were hiding there. Well, being an old engineer I asked =
myself, why not fit the rubber pieces where they fit and redrill the =
mounting holes. Piece of cake. Those pieces I have fit well when not =
forced into fitting holes drilled for a different set of corner pieces. =
So, I say, don&#8217;t be afraid to do what is needed to get it done. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;I finished the weather stripping by trimming it to fit the =
newly located corner parts. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Back window =
was, it turned out, not an issue at all. I had read on a different and =
old forum on how to do it simply with no tools at all. Not even a =
cord&#8230; I had a new back window because when we moved from =
Huntsville, Alabama in 2000 I was towing the car on a U-Haul trailer in =
the middle of nowhere on I-40 with a cross wind blowing. Then a semi =
went by us at warp nine and the back window, with help from stuff =
stacked inside the car, blew right out and onto the interstate. Followed =
by a second semi who ran over it. My youngest son who was headed to UNLV =
was traveling behind me and told me what had happened. And did I want to =
go back and get it&#8230; Sadly, I told him that it was most likely =
toast and not worth the effort. &nbsp;So I had purchased a new window =
and gasket.&nbsp; Step one if to put the gasket on the window. Just make =
sure you get it right side out.&nbsp; Then with more soapy water and the =
top now right side up on the table, and trusty handy girl, my BFF of 44 =
years, we installed the rear window. Put the bottom section of the =
gasket on. Then with some flexing and pushing and grunting, we worked =
our way around the gasket across the bottom then up the sides. Then =
flopped the top over to get at the headliner area for putting that part =
of the gasket on.&nbsp; With the handy girl handy to keep me on track =
and not using too many really bad sailor words, we finished the gasket =
install with window in place! Less than an hour start to finish. I do =
not have the chrome surround piece so that didn&#8217;t get =
involved.&nbsp; I suggest that when the top is on the car that some =
additional pushing and tugging might be needed to make sure everything =
is snuggly in place. &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Lastly, for =
now, are some thoughts and comments about instrument regulators. I had =
purchased the electronic replacement designed and built by The Smit and =
sold by he and Tom Hall. Very nice unit and works wonderfully well. =
Availability? Not sure how many they have left to sell. &nbsp;I also =
purchased a MGB unit from Victoria British but have not done much with =
it except to look it over. I mentioned earlier that the output push ons =
were reversed in sex. The Green wires push onto a male connector while =
the LGG wires push onto &nbsp;a female connector. So a short male =
adapter is needed. &nbsp;And the mounting tab is reversed : the Sunbeam =
item has it mounting tab below the enclosure while the MGB unit is above =
the enclosure and has TOP on the Bakelite board. &nbsp;I plan on trying =
it now that I know I have the dash working. Will forward results to =
list. Next was the ordering of two small voltage regulators from you =
know where via ebay. Took forever to get here but total cost for 2, yes, =
2, with shipping was a few cents over 3 bucks! And they are very well =
made. But, not enclosed, so a small project box would be needed. =
&nbsp;They unis are made using an LM317T IC, a small pot for adjusting =
the output between voltage rail values (could be 1 to 37 volts) and a =
capacitor for removing ripple or AC components of the output. Ie noise. =
&nbsp;A small, approx. 15mm x 30 mm board is used and the LM317 is =
mounted to a heat sink.&nbsp; Two input posts are used to attach B+ and =
ground wires and same for output on the other end of the board. =
Output&nbsp; with ground.&nbsp; I plan on trying this out and will =
adjust one of the two I have with DVM and power supply on my work bench. =
I will make semi permanently installed harness to connect to the LGG and =
G wires under the dash and for test will just let it dangle. Then hold =
my nose while applying power to everything and so as &nbsp;not to smell =
the LUCAS smoke that could possibly escape the smoke conduits =
(wires).&nbsp; I like the notion is using two pf the things, one for =
temp and one for fuel and that means some tuning of the gages might be =
possible. &nbsp;Probably get to this is a couple of weeks though. Unless =
someone has urgent need to replace one and then will test as quickly as =
I can get to it. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Ok, I think =
that catches me up some. I still have 999,995 things to do though. My do =
list is a Pareto list where I list as many items as I can think of to =
get done then pick out the 20% of the total that give me the most =
problems and get to those first. Then when done I pick the next 20% and =
so on. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Today is, however, dedicated to football. Alabama v =
Tennessee&#8230; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>L8r<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>mayf<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>_____________=
____________<br>drmayf<br>Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.<br>204.913 mph =
flying mile<br>210.779 mph exit (not top)&nbsp; =
speed<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0014_01D226BF.4857AC40--

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D226BF.4857AC40
	name="image001.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D226BF.4857AC40--

--===============6704783970904197010==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============6704783970904197010==--