Subject: [Tigers] Mechanical Performance Questions... perhaps for B9471136

From: Larry Mayfield via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 11:20:44 -0700

Well, since I am no longer running the World's Fastest Sunbeam on the salt,
I am looking to finally putting my 1966 (born 1964) Tiger back together.
Not much left to do, and so these questions have more to do with down the
road mods.  And please, let's not wander off into the weeds with the
replies.

1. I have an old 5 bolt 289 I had hopped up back in the late 60's  that I
may decide to use again. But before I start throwing money at things I would
like to know:  has any one on the list used a 347 CID stroker kit to bring
the displacement to 347 inches give or take a few inches?  I worry about
crank and rod clearance issues. 
2. Has anyone changed out the top loader for a stout C4 or C5 automatic
tranny?  If so, what were the install issues. I have one with the proper 5
bolt bell housing.  Torque converter stall speed?  
3. For those that have swapped either a 5.0L or 302 or even a 351 into their
cars, which bell housing did you use and how much pain and agony was it to
do. 
4. I have the original rear end from my car sitting on the shelf and it
still has it's 2.88 gear set. I also have two positrac units, one in my car
now with a different Tiger rear end and LAT 3.54:1 gear set. Pretty buzzy
stiff. I would like to  use the uninstalled posi in my original unit but I
purchased it long ago for use with the LAT 4.55 rear gear set (which I still
have, just not installed. Talk about buzzy), The question is, isn't there
supposed to be a mismatch between the DANA 44 bolts for low gear set ring
gears vs the 2.88 ring gear bolts. The question is what is the part number
of the correct ring gear bolts or what do I need to ask for at the 4 x 4
truck places as they sell a lot of that kind of stuff. 

For the above questions, please keep replies relevant.

So that is my question set. All this may or may not come to pass and I am
getting to be older than dirt itself. To my great surprise, I am headed for
75 years old coming up in Jan 2017!  However, the rate of decline is a
slippery slope , seems to speed up with each passing day.  No matter what
and if ever, I will use Ford's EEC system in lieu of a carb and there might
be a Turbo stuck in there somewhere. I have a T72, a HP 72, 4 T3's and one
T4 and a really big one I want to make into a jet engine. 

Awaiting some interesting replies.

mayf
_________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph top speed

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Rense via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:46:54 -0400

Mayf,
I've built 5 stroker engines out of 289 5-bolt blocks. They have all been
331 (3.25" stroke) but one 347. I always use a girdle to add strength to the
main bearings although not really required for less than 400 hp. Lots of
different cam/head combinations, the latest one is a full roller valve train
with Ford Motorsport X-307 aluminum heads. You will not need to do any
clearance machining with a 331, but notching is required with most 347 kits
(depends on which kit and which rod length is included). My next one will be
with Trick Flow aluminum heads.

As for rear ends, unless you are going to an AOD you will need a pretty tall
gear, I am using a posi 2.72:1 gear with the Toploader wide ratio gear set,
works great with a 400 hp 331. 

Yes the Dana 44 carriers are different for tall vs. short gears, I believe
the break is at 3.54:1, they are different thicknesses where the ring gear
bolts up. I don't know if the posi units follow that same rule but the guys
at Yukon Gear can help you with all the details.

Can's help you on automatics.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Larry
Mayfield via Tigers
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 2:21 PM
To: Tiger List
Subject: [Tigers] Mechanical Performance Questions... perhaps for B9471136

mayf

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]