Subject: [Tigers] Stock oil filter set up leaks

From: Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:25:49 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6655100133635816630==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CA4D.85DD74C0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CA4D.85DD74C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey, guys:

First, the good news.I've got 60 lbs of pressure on the gauge when I spin up
my oil pump with my electric drill.  For a stock oil pump, that's great!!
That means that when I fire up my Tiger for the first time on Sunday
(hopefully.) that I should have oil pressure running out my ears.which leads
me to the bad news.  I've got a couple of oil leaks in the stock oil filter
set-up, one of which is pretty bad.  The bad one is at the connection on top
of the oil filter where the big bolt is that holds the filter to the
housing.  The gasket is allowing the oil to just run out at a pretty good
clip.  I've got that bolt twisted down pretty tightly but it continues to
leak.  This is the first time that I've ever had an original oil filter
set-up on a Tiger, so I'm unfamiliar with their oddities; are you supposed
to use some sort of gasket sealer on that gasket between the shoulders of
the bolt and the housing?  Is this a common problem with these stock filter
rigs?

The other leak is at the connection point between the short hose and the
block adapter.  Hopefully, I'll be able to tighten it up a bit and stop the
leak, but the leak I mentioned above is so bad that there is no way that I
can start the car before fixing it.  Any advice on how to properly seal that
would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a proper-sized wrench for the oil filter
bolt in question.  I mic'd it as best I could and it comes out to be
something like a 1.410" in size.  All I've got that is big enough to do the
job is an adjustable wrench, and even that is so long that I have to stand
it up and grab the shoulders of the bolt with the ends of the jaws of the
wrench.  What do you guys use on yours?

Thanks much,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CA4D.85DD74C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hey, guys:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>First, the =
good news&#8230;I&#8217;ve got 60 lbs of pressure on the gauge when I =
spin up my oil pump with my electric drill.&nbsp; For a stock oil pump, =
that&#8217;s great!!&nbsp; That means that when I fire up my Tiger for =
the first time on Sunday (hopefully&#8230;) that I should have oil =
pressure running out my ears&#8230;which leads me to the bad news.&nbsp; =
I&#8217;ve got a couple of oil leaks in the stock oil filter set-up, one =
of which is pretty bad.&nbsp; The bad one is at the connection on top of =
the oil filter where the big bolt is that holds the filter to the =
housing.&nbsp; The gasket is allowing the oil to just run out at a =
pretty good clip.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve got that bolt twisted down pretty =
tightly but it continues to leak.&nbsp; This is the first time that =
I&#8217;ve ever had an original oil filter set-up on a Tiger, so =
I&#8217;m unfamiliar with their oddities; are you supposed to use some =
sort of gasket sealer on that gasket between the shoulders of the bolt =
and the housing?&nbsp; Is this a common problem with these stock filter =
rigs?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The other leak is at the connection point between the =
short hose and the block adapter.&nbsp; Hopefully, I&#8217;ll be able to =
tighten it up a bit and stop the leak, but the leak I mentioned above is =
so bad that there is no way that I can start the car before fixing =
it.&nbsp; Any advice on how to properly seal that would be greatly =
appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Oh, and by the way, I don&#8217;t have a proper-sized =
wrench for the oil filter bolt in question.&nbsp; I mic&#8217;d it as =
best I could and it comes out to be something like a 1.410&#8221; in =
size.&nbsp; All I&#8217;ve got that is big enough to do the job is an =
adjustable wrench, and even that is so long that I have to stand it up =
and grab the shoulders of the bolt with the ends of the jaws of the =
wrench.&nbsp; What do you guys use on yours?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks =
much,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Andy Walker<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Edmond, OK<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CA4D.85DD74C0--

--===============6655100133635816630==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============6655100133635816630==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:51:17 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4119058649044649344==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0014_01D0CAAD.4BD3A960"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01D0CAAD.4BD3A960
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Andy
=20
The fittings should tighten and not leak.
=20
You should check to make sure you have not split or cut the washers.
Check to make sure the metal surfaces are flat for the gaskets.
You should also check the big bolt at top is not bottoming out too soon.
Install it without the washer to make sure it does not stop short of the
metal adaptor.
=20
I believe those are fiber washers; maybe copper washers would work
better.(?)
=20
1.410" =3D 35.8 mm
=20
A 38 mm socket  may work OK.
=20
The correct wrenches would be line wrenches or crowfoot line wrenches.
You would have to make your own 1.41" wrench.  Do you know anyone with a
water jet cutter?
=20
A water jet or laser cutting machine could make a special tool to fit =
this
job.
=20
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andy =
Walker
via Tigers
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Stock oil filter set up leaks

Hey, guys:

=20

First, the good news.I've got 60 lbs of pressure on the gauge when I =
spin up
my oil pump with my electric drill.  For a stock oil pump, that's =
great!!
That means that when I fire up my Tiger for the first time on Sunday
(hopefully.) that I should have oil pressure running out my ears.which =
leads
me to the bad news.  I've got a couple of oil leaks in the stock oil =
filter
set-up, one of which is pretty bad.  The bad one is at the connection on =
top
of the oil filter where the big bolt is that holds the filter to the
housing.  The gasket is allowing the oil to just run out at a pretty =
good
clip.  I've got that bolt twisted down pretty tightly but it continues =
to
leak.  This is the first time that I've ever had an original oil filter
set-up on a Tiger, so I'm unfamiliar with their oddities; are you =
supposed
to use some sort of gasket sealer on that gasket between the shoulders =
of
the bolt and the housing?  Is this a common problem with these stock =
filter
rigs?

=20

The other leak is at the connection point between the short hose and the
block adapter.  Hopefully, I'll be able to tighten it up a bit and stop =
the
leak, but the leak I mentioned above is so bad that there is no way that =
I
can start the car before fixing it.  Any advice on how to properly seal =
that
would be greatly appreciated.

=20

Oh, and by the way, I don't have a proper-sized wrench for the oil =
filter
bolt in question.  I mic'd it as best I could and it comes out to be
something like a 1.410" in size.  All I've got that is big enough to do =
the
job is an adjustable wrench, and even that is so long that I have to =
stand
it up and grab the shoulders of the bolt with the ends of the jaws of =
the
wrench.  What do you guys use on yours?

=20

Thanks much,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01D0CAAD.4BD3A960
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015>Andy</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>The=20
fittings should tighten and not leak.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>You=20
should check to make sure you have not split or cut the=20
washers.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>Check=20
to make sure the metal surfaces are flat for the =
gaskets.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>You=20
should also check the big bolt at top&nbsp;is not bottoming out too=20
soon.&nbsp;&nbsp; Install it without the washer to make sure it does not =
stop=20
short of the metal adaptor.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>I=20
believe those are fiber washers; maybe copper washers would work=20
better.(?)</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>1.410"=20
=3D 35.8 mm</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>A 38=20
mm&nbsp;socket&nbsp; may work OK.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>The=20
correct wrenches would be line wrenches or crowfoot line=20
wrenches.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>You=20
would have to make your own 1.41" wrench.&nbsp; Do you know anyone with =
a water=20
jet cutter?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>A=20
water jet or laser cutting machine could make a special tool to fit this =

job.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D968103213-30072015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D968103213-30072015>Ron=20
Fraser</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader =
align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Tigers=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Andy Walker =
via=20
  Tigers<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:26 PM<BR><B>To:</B> =

  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Tigers] Stock oil filter set =
up=20
  leaks<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Hey, guys:<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>First, the good news&#8230;I&#8217;ve got 60 lbs =
of pressure on the=20
  gauge when I spin up my oil pump with my electric drill.&nbsp; For a =
stock oil=20
  pump, that&#8217;s great!!&nbsp; That means that when I fire up my =
Tiger for the=20
  first time on Sunday (hopefully&#8230;) that I should have oil =
pressure running out=20
  my ears&#8230;which leads me to the bad news.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve got a =
couple of oil leaks=20
  in the stock oil filter set-up, one of which is pretty bad.&nbsp; The =
bad one=20
  is at the connection on top of the oil filter where the big bolt is =
that holds=20
  the filter to the housing.&nbsp; The gasket is allowing the oil to =
just run=20
  out at a pretty good clip.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve got that bolt twisted down =
pretty=20
  tightly but it continues to leak.&nbsp; This is the first time that =
I&#8217;ve ever=20
  had an original oil filter set-up on a Tiger, so I&#8217;m unfamiliar =
with their=20
  oddities; are you supposed to use some sort of gasket sealer on that =
gasket=20
  between the shoulders of the bolt and the housing?&nbsp; Is this a =
common=20
  problem with these stock filter rigs?<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>The other leak is at the connection point between =
the short=20
  hose and the block adapter.&nbsp; Hopefully, I&#8217;ll be able to =
tighten it up a=20
  bit and stop the leak, but the leak I mentioned above is so bad that =
there is=20
  no way that I can start the car before fixing it.&nbsp; Any advice on =
how to=20
  properly seal that would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Oh, and by the way, I don&#8217;t have a =
proper-sized wrench for=20
  the oil filter bolt in question.&nbsp; I mic&#8217;d it as best I =
could and it comes=20
  out to be something like a 1.410&#8221; in size.&nbsp; All I&#8217;ve =
got that is big=20
  enough to do the job is an adjustable wrench, and even that is so long =
that I=20
  have to stand it up and grab the shoulders of the bolt with the ends =
of the=20
  jaws of the wrench.&nbsp; What do you guys use on =
yours?<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks much,<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Andy Walker<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Edmond, =
OK<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01D0CAAD.4BD3A960--

--===============4119058649044649344==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4119058649044649344==--